PDA

View Full Version : New Weight Room??

TheBisonator
08-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I think this probably isn't much of a priority among Bison fans currently, but I've read a lot of articles about football programs pumping a lot of money into their weight rooms, even a lot of FCS programs, if you ever go to AGS and see that a lot of FCS schools have done the same thing that the big-time programs have done. Currently as it stands, our weight room is in the BSA right above the athletic offices, and the weights literally knock plaster from the ceiling below at times when thrown down. I've been to our weight room. It's absolutely nothing compared to all the new ones being built in the FCS. I personally believe that a weight room should've been included in the new FFD facilities a couple of years ago. But I'll probably get the same reactions that I got when I asked about the team store. Does anyone think that our lack of a good football weight room is an issue in recruiting, or do you think that the new FFD facilities are able to overtake that?? I'm just wondering if anyone feels this is a priority. I know what everyone will say: "NEW BASKETBALL ARENA FIRST!!!"

SDbison
08-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I think this probably isn't much of a priority among Bison fans currently, but I've read a lot of articles about football programs pumping a lot of money into their weight rooms, even a lot of FCS programs, if you ever go to AGS and see that a lot of FCS schools have done the same thing that the big-time programs have done. Currently as it stands, our weight room is in the BSA right above the athletic offices, and the weights literally knock plaster from the ceiling below at times when thrown down. I've been to our weight room. It's absolutely nothing compared to all the new ones being built in the FCS. I personally believe that a weight room should've been included in the new FFD facilities a couple of years ago. But I'll probably get the same reactions that I got when I asked about the team store. Does anyone think that our lack of a good football weight room is an issue in recruiting, or do you think that the new FFD facilities are able to overtake that?? I'm just wondering if anyone feels this is a priority. I know what everyone will say: "NEW BASKETBALL ARENA FIRST!!!"
A new weight room was supposed to be part of the BSA remodel that has been put on hold for whatever and also because they were waiting to see if the new Arena was going to be built. Come on NDSU.......crap or get off the pot! What is the big delay getting the remodel started?

roadwarrior
08-20-2009, 10:43 PM
A new weight room and other training facilities for ALL sports are in all of the plans for the BSA project. So it will be done when the entire project is done. I recently wrote a check. Anyone else?

TheBisonator
08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
A new weight room and other training facilities for ALL sports are in all of the plans for the BSA project. So it will be done when the entire project is done. I recently wrote a check. Anyone else?

Sure would be nice for Doug Burgum to top us off and get the construction going.

BisBison
08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Sure would be nice for Doug Burgum to top us off and get the construction going.

We need to stop waiting for someone else we perceive as being rich to step up. It's time for everyone to dig a little deeper and help. I know you are a student Bisonator, this isn't directed at you.

Swany
08-20-2009, 11:06 PM
We will get there, but given our athletic prowess lately -- team wise and individual athletes -- I think it is safe to say our strength and conditioning programs are among the tops at any level. While a facilities upgrade is always nice, putting money into a new weight room will not improve performance in that department because we are already "maxed out" in that phase of our game.

Our strength and conditioning program was a major factor in our recent successes. A new weight room will not improve that. If the weight room were so desperately needed, like the new field turf at Dacotah Field, it would have been done already. I do agree that a new weight training facility would be great for North Dakota State athletics, but I do not think we are in danger of falling behind because of our current facility.

GOB1SON
08-21-2009, 12:48 AM
So what is NDSU missing? Is there a shortage of weight equipment?

Or is it purely aesthetics? Plaster falling all that jazz?

I haven't been in the athletic weight room in quite awhile (I of course have peered in there during basketball games and such) but it looks like there are plenty of weights and equipment to use.

Just curious why the current weight room is inadequate?

bisontwice
08-21-2009, 12:52 AM
The weight room equipment recently was upgraded significantly. The equipment is excellent, Kramer is one of the best strength coaches around. The area for conditioning and agility is lacking but certainly is not a significant hinderance to recruiting.

Jdubs21
08-21-2009, 01:30 AM
A state of the art weight room would help recruiting i bet

sambini
08-21-2009, 04:24 AM
We will get there, but given our athletic prowess lately -- team wise and individual athletes -- I think it is safe to say our strength and conditioning programs are among the tops at any level. While a facilities upgrade is always nice, putting money into a new weight room will not improve performance in that department because we are already "maxed out" in that phase of our game.

Our strength and conditioning program was a major factor in our recent successes. A new weight room will not improve that. If the weight room were so desperately needed, like the new field turf at Dacotah Field, it would have been done already. I do agree that a new weight training facility would be great for North Dakota State athletics, but I do not think we are in danger of falling behind because of our current facility. Well said ++++++

nells
08-21-2009, 05:02 AM
The weight room equipment recently was upgraded significantly. The equipment is excellent, Kramer is one of the best strength coaches around. The area for conditioning and agility is lacking but certainly is not a significant hinderance to recruiting.

I have heard the same. I understand it looks quite a bit different up there than it used to with the addition of brand new power racks and personalized weights. It may get hot up there, but they utilize what they have very well.

I always enjoyed working out in the BSA weightroom when I attended NDSU. I actually preferred working out there over the Wellness Center.

bisonmike2
08-21-2009, 04:02 PM

I think your right. I thought about 7 years ago they got all new weights, lifting stations and equipment. Maybe I'm wrong.

GradBison
08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I think your right. I thought about 7 years ago they got all new weights, lifting stations and equipment. Maybe I'm wrong.

You're not wrong, 7 years sounds about right. That was around the time when use of the equipment was restricted to Bison athletes only.

nells
08-21-2009, 05:53 PM
You're not wrong, 7 years sounds about right. That was around the time when use of the equipment was restricted to Bison athletes only.

I understand it has been re-arranged a bit and updated over the summer. As I stated before, they now have multi-use power racks and personalized plates. I believe they say "NDSU" or "Bison;" I can't remember for sure.

In my opinion, I really doubt we have lost many, if any, recruits because they didn't like the weightroom. I agree that it deserves it's own area other than the upper corner of the BSA, but it serves it's purpose pretty well and gets the job done.

When a new weightroom does finally get done, it will be much deserved.

Trim
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Way off topic here, but speaking of NDSU weight room...

Remember when it was in the little corner on the north side? Somehow one of my high school coaches got ahold of a tape of Charlie Stock squatting something outrageous like 800 lbs. That was awesome.

EndZoneQB
08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Way off topic here, but speaking of NDSU weight room...

Remember when it was in the little corner on the north side? Somehow one of my high school coaches got ahold of a tape of Charlie Stock squatting something outrageous like 800 lbs. That was awesome.

Yup. I remember lifting up there during bison camps and thinking, "damn, my HS weight room is wayyy better than this" lol

BisonAccountant44
08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Yup. I remember lifting up there during bison camps and thinking, "damn, my HS weight room is wayyy better than this" lol

http://www.abledata.com/product_images/images/00A0224.jpg

That is funny. Our hs weight room consited of 1 machine that I swear could've been this exact model!

Hammersmith
08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
When the BSA renovation is complete, the new weight room will be on the ground floor in the NW corner of the building. Half of it will be in a new addition(the reason the turf was moved 20 yards west) and the other half will continue on into the existing structure. There will basically be a wall of glass that will form the west wall for about half of the north/south length of the BSA, and the whole thing will look out onto the practice field.

SDbison
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
When the BSA renovation is complete, the new weight room will be on the ground floor in the NW corner of the building. Half of it will be in a new addition(the reason the turf was moved 20 yards west) and the other half will continue on into the existing structure. There will basically be a wall of glass that will form the west wall for about half of the north/south length of the BSA, and the whole thing will look out onto the practice field.
So when do the rennovations on the BSA start......2015, 2020.
This is ridiculous......I donated money to the whatever fund about 3 years ago and the money was intended for this project........based on what was said back then I never imagined it would take so long to get going.....especially considering how badly the renovations are needed. The BSA is a dump by any DI standards and a good percentage of DIII facilities are better. Joe and Gene please get this done.

roadwarrior
08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
The wheels are in motion................

Hammersmith
08-21-2009, 10:08 PM
So when do the rennovations on the BSA start......2015, 2020.
This is ridiculous......I donated money to the whatever fund about 3 years ago and the money was intended for this project........based on what was said back then I never imagined it would take so long to get going.....especially considering how badly the renovations are needed. The BSA is a dump by any DI standards and a good percentage of DIII facilities are better. Joe and Gene please get this done.

I bet ground will be broken either in the spring of 2010 or 2011 with final completion in either the fall of 2011 or 2012. My guess is a fundraising blitz like the Bison fanbase has never seen is about to begin. The only thing holding it up was the FD arena decision. Of course, I've been wrong before(and often).