PDA

View Full Version : Billings Blog on recent Montana scheduling

BisonKent
08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Interesting take from this blogger in MT.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/article_cdad1134-8c55-11de-b656-001cc4c03286.html

westnodak93bison
08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I call this chicken $hit sceduling by the Griz. What are they afraid of?

IzzyFlexion
08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
"this matchup isn't much better than the Griz playing Southern Utah or South Dakota or South Dakota State."

That's pretty disrespectful to the rabbits.

Scooter1
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Incorrect portion delete..........

The other thing that caught me was that SDSU is thrown in to the same category as UND and USD. We obviously are getting more respect than SDSU around the country right now.....

...except in the preseason polls :blush:

another incorrect portion delete.......

The U of Montana may feel that UND is an easier win, but they most certainly aren't a slam dunk win like scheduling a FCS Pioneer league opponent.

Bison bison
08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Montana State is in Bozeman, not Billings.

Scooter1
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
then I guess it's a good thing that I didn't say that the reporter was misinformed, isn't it?:blush:

steelbison
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Great article....Bobby wants no part of the Bison...I would be schocked if the Griz ever make it to Grand Forks....

They always get the first game in a home and home and more times than not don't return the trip...

bisonmike2
08-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Yep, and as a frequent visitor to Billings, it's is more of a Griz fan home base than Bobcats. Despite being further away from the U of M than Mt St.

IzzyFlexion
08-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Not to bust your balls, but there is an MSU Billings.
The "Yellowjackets" are Division 2. They don't have football but their Men's Basketball team played Gonzaga last year. Sure they lost to them by 31.....but still.

Bison bison
08-19-2009, 03:34 PM
The "Yellowjackets" are Division 2. They don't have football but their Men's Basketball team played Gonzaga last year. Sure they lost to them by 31.....but still.

Yeah and the University of Minnesota is in Crookston. :p

bisonmike2
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM

MSU Billings barely gets a mention in the gazette at all. It's clearly a Griz first/ Bobcat second paper.

HerdBot
08-20-2009, 04:12 AM

Note to Gene don't do a home and home with them unles the first gameus in Fargo

4mcruenomore
08-20-2009, 04:54 AM
According to egriz, we still aren't worth a shit. Last year has hurt us, we sucked plain and simple. So when people say that the Griz are scared to play NDSU, they laugh. I still say go Sioux, kick their ass.

tony
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Advice from a guy with a lot of Montanan relatives: Montanans are going to give you a lot of crap. If you get angry with them, it just makes you look like you can't take a joke. Once I learned that, things got a lot easier. Either I responded with humor or stayed quiet. Personally, I went with the stay quiet bit because I was outmatched. Since Montanans can't shut the heck up to save their lives, a quiet person kind of makes them nervous and/or they lose interest.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Billings paper put in a blurb asking for an NDSU game (no trashing of other teams).

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/article_3ed45c04-8d51-11de-ad21-001cc4c03286.html

Now let's get a series going with UM and North Dakota State.

Da Bison
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=tony;294946]Advice from a guy with a lot of Montanan relatives: Montanans are going to give you a lot of crap. If you get angry with them, it just makes you look like you can't take a joke. Once I learned that, things got a lot easier. Either I responded with humor or stayed quiet. Personally, I went with the stay quiet bit because I was outmatched. Since Montanans can't shut the heck up to save their lives, a quiet person kind of makes them nervous.

ALA

Ted Kaszinski

BlueBisonRock
08-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Advice from a guy with a lot of Montanan relatives: Montanans are going to give you a lot of crap. If you get angry with them, it just makes you look like you can't take a joke. Once I learned that, things got a lot easier. Either I responded with humor or stayed quiet. Personally, I went with the stay quiet bit because I was outmatched. Since Montanans can't shut the heck up to save their lives, a quiet person kind of makes them nervous and/or they lose interest.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Billings paper put in a blurb asking for an NDSU game (no trashing of other teams).

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/article_3ed45c04-8d51-11de-ad21-001cc4c03286.html

Thanks for the reference Tony! I found the following quote in the article to be quite entertaining:

It's too bad both that the North Dakota schools aren't in the Big Sky Conference, because they would make it more competitive.

MontBison
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
U of M would never sack up and play us. Second off I was out there for Cat Griz this year had the ndsu shirt on and proclaimed we would be back the following week to do them like we did in 03. We, however, failed to hold up on our end. I would say that the fans I spoke with did have respect for us and the fans that didn't possessed litlte football iq.

tjbison
08-20-2009, 05:36 PM
According to egriz, we still aren't worth a shit. Last year has hurt us, we sucked plain and simple. So when people say that the Griz are scared to play NDSU, they laugh. I still say go Sioux, kick their ass.

They say that but thats only a front, they know Damn good and well a home and home with NDSU would be more followed. I think the article is right on the money except for calling SDSU weak, they are not weak by anymeans, but also have not been a powerhouse like some of their fans think

Tailbone
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
U of M would never sack up and play us. ......

You Bison fans are funny.

The year was 2003, the worst Griz team in a decade (perhaps longer).
Rookie (backup) QB, rookie coach (not just first year as UM head coach – first HC job anywhere) who thought that with a 3 TD lead he could run out the clock in the whole second half with 2nd stringers (at least to start - he did put starters back on the field as the 2nd half progressed) and a miss by the most prolific field goal kicker in I-AA history (until supplanted by his successor) were keys to a Bison victory.
2003 also happens to be the year Bison fans saw the great Bison lose to St. Cloud and the lowly UND team scheduled to play Montana in 2010. It’s also the year that NDSU barely finished the season in the top 25 of Div. II. Hardly awe inspiring.

The Bison were overlooked with SHSU and 1-A Idaho next on the schedule.

That’s called a perfect storm, a trap game.

Kudos to the Bison. They did win, deservedly so.
But realistically, there was nothing there to cause the kind of concern (fear?) that Bison fans are so quick to assign to the UM program. That’s just Bison fans demonstrating a healthy dose of Griz envy.
You Bison fans really do need to get over yourselves.
You don’t have the Div.1 record (yet) to think that you are all that deserving of fear by any D1 program.
You won, be satisfied with that – some of you guys act as though that is the most significant win in the history of NDSU football and serves notice to all FCS to fear the mighty Bison. How pathetic.

Don’t worry, some day NDSU may have no reason to envy the UM and Griz fans.
Gotta do better than 6 win seasons though.

Until then………well, it does provide some comic relief.

tony
08-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Funny how?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_649zNz7nmuE/SZZb_bVxCQI/AAAAAAAAADc/PcXvvPEFJiI/s400/Joe+Pesci.jpg

SDbison
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM

Rookie (backup) QB, rookie coach (not just first year as UM head coach – first HC job anywhere) who thought that with a 3 TD lead he could run out the clock in the whole second half with 2nd stringers (at least to start - he did put starters back on the field as the 2nd half progressed) and a miss by the most prolific field goal kicker in I-AA history (until supplanted by his successor) were keys to a Bison victory.
2003 also happens to be the year Bison fans saw the great Bison lose to St. Cloud and the lowly UND team scheduled to play Montana in 2010. It’s also the year that NDSU barely finished the season in the top 25 of Div. II. Hardly awe inspiring.

But realistically, there was nothing there to cause the kind of concern (fear?) that Bison fans are so quick to assign to the UM program. That’s just Bison fans demonstrating a healthy dose of Griz envy.
You don’t have the Div.1 record (yet) to think that you are all that deserving of fear by any D1 program.
You won, be satisfied with that – some of you guys act as though that is the most significant win in the history of NDSU football and serves notice to all FCS to fear the mighty Bison. How pathetic.

This guy sounds just like the loser goofer fans that claimed their team was the worst ever when we beat them.

bisonmike2
08-20-2009, 08:16 PM

You really can't dispute alot of what he says. But there is several things that make it sweeter for me as a Bison fan.
1) It was the grand opening of their new and improved Wa/Griz stadium
2) We were coming off the one of the worst seasons ever at NDSU, also with a new head coach. I think that in itself trumps the excuse that Montana had it's worst team in a decade.
3) I have relatives that are huge Griz fans and I love to remind them that they last time NDSU played them we won.

Tailbone
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Funny how?

OK. I'll bite.

Some (not all) Bison fans perceive every Montana scheduling move as a case of "avoiding the scary, mighty Bison".
What! they scheduled poly? Griz are afraid!
What! they scheduled Davis? Griz are afraid of the mighty Bison.
What? Montana's playing Iowa? They're afraid of us because of the whoopin' we gave 'em last time!
Gimme a break.
Montana scheduling is about money, availability, and a host of other factors (this is true of all schools).
Fear isn't one of them.
Check the record, Montana has historically played I-A schools and top FCS opponents. Montana does NOT schedule out of fear of the "Mighty Bison".
Some recent scheduling oddities are the result of having to recover from a million dollar deficit resulting from some "unwise" scheduling in the recent past - thus the buy-outs that offend so many NDSU fans (on behalf of conference mates?), Montana doesn't "owe" NDSU anything.

I understand passion, I have a hard time understanding "foaming at the mouth" passion based on fantasy rather than some realistic, objective assessment of the facts.

In that sense, some Bison fans are funny - funny haha, or funny odd, take your pick.

Tailbone
08-20-2009, 08:29 PM
You really can't dispute alot of what he says. But there is several things that make it sweeter for me as a Bison fan.
1) It was the grand opening of their new and improved Wa/Griz stadium
2) We were coming off the one of the worst seasons ever at NDSU, also with a new head coach. I think that in itself trumps the excuse that Montana had it's worst team in a decade.
3) I have relatives that are huge Griz fans and I love to remind them that they last time NDSU played them we won.

Mike has it right.
You have every reason to be proud.
For NDSU fans, it should be sweet.
You knocked a top (if not the top) FCS program from its pedestal.
The rest of it can be called "excuses" or reasons, it's moot.

.....but, to think that (given the facts - or excuses) the result is never ending fear to re-schedule NDSU is sheer fantasy .......and laughable.

ndsubison1
08-20-2009, 08:41 PM
OK. I'll bite.

Some (not all) Bison fans perceive every Montana scheduling move as a case of "avoiding the scary, mighty Bison".
What? Montana's playing Iowa? They're afraid of us because of the whoopin' we gave 'em last time!
Gimme a break.
Montana scheduling is about money, availability, and a host of other factors (this is true of all schools).
Fear isn't one of them.
Check the record, Montana has historically played I-A schools and top FCS opponents. Montana does NOT schedule out of fear of the "Mighty Bison".
Some recent scheduling oddities are the result of having to recover from a million dollar deficit resulting from some "unwise" scheduling in the recent past - thus the buy-outs that offend so many NDSU fans (on behalf of conference mates?), Montana doesn't "owe" NDSU anything.

I understand passion, I have a hard time understanding "foaming at the mouth" passion based on fantasy rather than some realistic, objective assessment of the facts.

In that sense, some Bison fans are funny - funny haha, or funny odd, take your pick.

Come to the Fargo Dome, until then I will continue to believe that Montana is affraid to play at top notch FCS programs. Yeah you went to Cal-Poly, but only because you guys got two home games out of it. You will also be buying out of the UND game up in GF I bet

Tailbone
08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Come to the Fargo Dome, until then I will continue to believe that Montana is affraid to play at top notch FCS programs. Yeah you went to Cal-Poly, but only because you guys got two home games out of it. You will also be buying out of the UND game up in GF I bet

case in point.

heckler
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Now that is funny stuff.

IzzyFlexion
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM

What a pussy excuse rant. This is the typical Montana fan that has come to reailize that there are now more good 1-AA football teams in the north and can't imagine sharing any of that notoriety. In 2003, Division 2 NDSU beat Division 1-AA Montana (ranked # 3 in 1-AA at the time) in their own stadium. Choke on that!

TheBisonator
08-20-2009, 09:13 PM

"Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure." -Don Wilder

Tailbone
08-20-2009, 09:24 PM
What a pussy excuse rant. This is the typical Montana fan that has come to reailize that there are now more good 1-AA football teams in the north and can't imagine sharing any of that notoriety. In 2003, Division 2 NDSU beat Division 1-AA Montana (ranked # 3 in 1-AA at the time) in their own stadium. Choke on that!

Case 2 in point.

Nowhere, have I denigrated the Bison or NDSU.
I have nothing but respect for the Bison and their football tradition, NDSU as an academic institution, and the the fine folks who live in North Dakota.

My point was simply that accusations of fear are unfounded, and that some Bison fans unreasonably cling to the fantastic assertion that Montana schedules out of fear of the Bison. Ridiculous.

I'm actually pleased that there are more teams west of the Mississipi that can compete for the NC.
I'd like to see more east/west pairings so that teams like Montana, Weber State, Cal poly, etc. don't perennially remove the other good "western" teams from the playoffs prematurely.

Tailbone
08-20-2009, 09:32 PM
"Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure." -Don Wilder

No excuses.
You won, I said as much.
You deserved to win, I said that too.

I'm merely asking you to justify accusations of fear based scheduling, and providing evidence to assert the lack of basis for such an accusation.

SDbison
08-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Case 2 in point.

Nowhere, have I denigrated the Bison or NDSU.
I have nothing but respect for the Bison and their football tradition, NDSU as an academic institution, and the the fine folks who live in North Dakota.

My point was simply that accusations of fear are unfounded, and that some Bison fans unreasonably cling to the fantastic assertion that Montana schedules out of fear of the Bison. Ridiculous.

I'm actually pleased that there are more teams west of the Mississipi that can compete for the NC.
I'd like to see more east/west pairings so that teams like Montana, Weber State, Cal poly, etc. don't perennially remove the other good "western" teams from the playoffs prematurely.
Correction: Montana schedules out of the fear of any team that could beat them, buys out away game contracts whenever possible and only schedules 2 for 1's if there is any chance Montana could lose.

Tatanka
08-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Correction: Montana schedules out of the fear of any team that could beat them, buys out away game contracts whenever possible and only schedules 2 for 1's if there is any chance Montana could lose.

This .

TransAmBison
08-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Funny how?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_649zNz7nmuE/SZZb_bVxCQI/AAAAAAAAADc/PcXvvPEFJiI/s400/Joe+Pesci.jpg
Frickin' hilarious!

MontBison
08-21-2009, 02:35 AM
OK. I'll bite.

Gimme a break.
Fear isn't one of them.

So "mighty" is Montana as to schedule a DII team this past season

NDSUstudent
08-21-2009, 02:44 AM
This guy is Montana's Zoopora, don't listen to him. One of the biggest Griz homers in the world....

In 2006 when NDSU was 10-1.....

He thought putting NDSU in the top 5 was a crime against humanity....

Read the posts in both this and the FCS discussion forums. There are some posters who would (will) vote NDSU anywhere between #2-#5 despite the fact that the Bison haven't played a single play-off team. There is even at least one poster (Lionsrking) who would vote NDSU #1 except that by agreement (due to winning the NC game) APP state gets the nod (apparently, grudgingly). xidiotx.

Then there was this gem earlier in the 2006 season....A thread called NDSwho

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15108

Or how about after we beat CMU by 30 points....

It's not that Montana fans don't wish to give "due credit" to the NDSU football team. It's more likely that we are annoyed by the arrogance of those Bison fans who, in an attempt to mitigate their own feelings of inadequacy, compensate by unreasonably targeting us. It is easy to point fingers and suggest that the Montana schedule is based on something other than economics, while glossing over the fact that in the last two years you have beaten no play-off teams and count among your "trophy wins", a victory over CMU - a team with 1 win in 4 games (and that against winless Toledo). I point this out, not to minimize the accomplishments of the fine NDSU program (which I respect greatly), but rather to "ground" those overly enamored of the letters "FBS" (and those Ralph would accuse of drinking too much Kool-aid).

You are funny people. Out of one side of your mouth, you complain about lack of respect you get from those who question your credentials and out of the other side of your mouth you proclaim Albany and SUU to be "cupcakes". Albany is probably better than you give them credit for, and SUU might look much better than they do if their schedule didn't make yours look pathetic by comparison. I'll not apologize for Fort Lewis, it seems many schools have their Ft.Lewises, Lenoir-Rhynes, WestChesters, etc. The only difference between Montana, App, Delaware, and NDSU, is that NDSU moved up a level to find their "cupcake" ....BFD.
You will play many teams better than CMU this year.

And you are right. It is a shame that your seniors will not get the opportunity they deserve to showcase their talent on the "larger stage".
Let's not overlook the fact that they knowingly sacrificed the opportunity to play for a championship at any level to help make the transition fron Div-II to FCs a successful one.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=660611&postcount=28

EndZoneQB
08-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Last line of above post is a levelheaded statement. I think there is some merit to what he is saying, but saying there will be much better teams in 06 than CMU(Who won the MAC that year, and also had a "stud" QB). It is probably safe to say that Cal Poly would have beaten CMU, but thats likely it, I'm not sure Minnesota would have even been up to the task, but I could be wrong.

tjbison
08-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Last line of above post is a levelheaded statement. I think there is some merit to what he is saying, but saying there will be much better teams in 06 than CMU(Who won the MAC that year, and also had a "stud" QB). It is probably safe to say that Cal Poly would have beaten CMU, but thats likely it, I'm not sure Minnesota would have even been up to the task, but I could be wrong.

well just beating them maybe but putting on a schooling and beating a FBS Conference Champ into a pulp is a different story. No other teams "fans" can ever take that from that amazing class:nod:

EndZoneQB
08-21-2009, 03:41 AM
well just beating them maybe but putting on a schooling and beating a FBS Conference Champ into a pulp is a different story. No other teams "fans" can ever take that from that amazing class:nod:

No I agree, it's a great accomplishment, especially for the age of the FCS program. I was just stating that there is some truth to what he is saying, and he actually really doesn't resort to name calling, he actually backs up his point. I can see where he is coming from and actually respect his opinion, because it is that, his opinion. It's well said, and keeps it very civil. On the other hand, I do understand how it seems like he is bashing on us, because it seems like its consistent as we have gone along. It may seem like he has it out for the bison, which may or may not be true. Either way, does it really matter? We can talk about the past all we want, but it really doesn't matter if we don't do anything this year and beyond...

NDSUstudent
08-21-2009, 03:48 AM
That last line was very levelheaded, I will say that, the guy isn't like Davek or dlsiouxfan who just post garbage. My point is that he has something against NDSU, maybe he is sore from the 2003 game, but a rational fan doesn't have a 100 posts saying a team is overrated that went 20-2. The guy was actually upset to the point that he thought those who ranked NDSU in the top 5 in 2006 were invalidating the playoffs by doing so.

I don't think any team outside of App State could have done that to CMU at home. They would have beaten any team we played. The only teams that dominated CMU like that were Purdue, Kansas, and Clemson.

tjbison
08-21-2009, 04:05 AM
That last line was very levelheaded, I will say that, the guy isn't like Davek or dlsiouxfan who just post garbage. My point is that he has something against NDSU, maybe he is sore from the 2003 game, but a rational fan doesn't have a 100 posts saying a team is overrated that went 20-2. The guy was actually upset to the point that he thought those who ranked NDSU in the top 5 in 2006 were invalidating the playoffs by doing so.

I don't think any team outside of App State could have done that to CMU at home. They would have beaten any team we played. The only teams that dominated CMU like that were Purdue, Kansas, and Clemson.

LOL must be him I got Neg rep from on AGS for agreeing with a Griz poster!!!! LOL it was funny

NDSUstudent
08-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Well I think I now know what got Tailbone over here, interesting thread over at Egriz...

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38100&start=25

Herd80
08-21-2009, 01:43 PM
And once again, the emissary of all things classy from Bison land makes us look like a bunch of freaking, kool-aid drinking idiots. Great

heckler
08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
And once again, the emissary of all things classy from Bison land makes us look like a bunch of freaking, kool-aid drinking idiots. Great

These statements are stupid... it's the internet. We don't even know if some of them are actually Bison fans or not ;) .

tony
08-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Great... another forum that I don't need to bother going to because Lakesbison is to boards what a kid who is proud of his explosive diarrhea is to swimming pools.

What did NDSU ever to do him that he is making it his life work to be a jackass on every board he can find?

lakesbison
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
#1-- everything i said was FACTUAL, sorry you cant handle the truth

#2--because im banned on my own home turf board (i helped create more awareness of NDSU than anyone on this board regionally + nationwide.

sorry, but it's true. i get flooded with LOVE mail + some hate mail.

good,bad, who cares, it gets us out there in people's minds, instead of no one caring about ndsu.

OldBison
08-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Montana scheduling is about money, availability, and a host of other factors (this is true of all schools) and screwing other schools.

There, fixed it for you.

tcbison
08-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Great... another forum that I don't need to bother going to because Lakesbison is to boards what a kid who is proud of his explosive diarrhea is to swimming pools.

What did NDSU ever to do him that he is making it his life work to be a jackass on every board he can find?

It is getting pretty sick. I went to a Eagles message board and even though the screen name was not Lakesbison, I am sure it had to be him on a Joe Mays thread. He is everywhere and it get annoying.

HerdBot
08-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I ask this of Gene Taylor. If the griz aren't scared of playing the sioux than what's our excuse?

Da Bison
08-22-2009, 02:21 AM
It is getting pretty sick. I went to a Eagles message board and even though the screen name was not Lakesbison, I am sure it had to be him on a Joe Mays thread. He is everywhere and it get annoying.

Maybe we could have him neutered.

It usually works for dogs:D