PDA

View Full Version : "Those Darn Bison"

JacksFan06
08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3a0c9c4244-ff54-412b-991f-7c9afe23119c&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

A blog entry that I'm sure Bison fans will enjoy. Stu is the sports editor at the Argus and is always complaining about something. He especially has a distaste in his mouth for SDSU, especially since we moved up to DI as he was one of the people who was vehemently against it. Every success we've had at the DI level, there's Stu writing an article to try and knock us down. But oh well, it's a good read for NDSU fans. Enjoy, and try not to gloat too hard.

Bison"FANatic"
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
The guy sounds like a tool. He just wants to live in the little regional world that SDSU vs. USD is the end all be all to college football. He should be talking about your home schedule this year and what great teams are going to be in Brookings kicking the crap out of the rabbits.:D :D ;) ;)

Oh and for Zooropa and his comments..... you might not want to spout off about clearing house issues as it bites all programs at one time or another and when it bites you it will just make you look foolish.

Scooter1
08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
It was a good read up until the end. This guy needs to get schooled up on a few things before he writes an article. It's the same tired argument, please help out USD's transiton under the guise that it will help the state, then...mock the rivalry starting with NDSU.

Here is a news flash for this idiot; SDSU and NDSU have benefited greatly by their association the past 6 years. We are in a conference together, and a darn good on at that, partly due to this association. USD and their supporters mocked SDSU for this move and those wounds haven't healed completely. Maybe they never will. Beating USD will do nothing for the SDSU program. Beating NDSU for a third time in a row (god forbid)...that will be huge. Which picture do you think they will use to promote the team...one beating USD or one holding up the "silly" Marker above their head?

Bison53
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you guys have a McFeely too.

bisonmike2
08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Stu's a tool. When I was in high school he covered H.S. sports for the Argus. According to him there are no other H.S. programs outside of Sioux Falls. Every week his column was a kiss ass write up on SF O'Gorman. I think I'll best remember him from my h.s. senior year when we were playing for the state championship in football versus Yankton. Stu predicted that Yankton would crush us in the title game. Since neither of us were Sioux Falls programs, he didn't bother to realize that the 2 teams had already played earlier in the year and that Watertown spanked Yankton at their house. We then went on to destroy Yankton again during the championship game.

G-city Bison Fan
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Wow, it is nice to be able to sit here, read that and think to myself, "huh, now there is a name I haven't heard in awhile."

bisonmike2
08-14-2009, 03:07 PM

That is a great description.

A1pigskin
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Jealousy..............

SDbison
08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
The article is just an attempt to get the SDSU fans all riled up so that they will think about scheduling USD. There wasn't really all that much in the artcle specifically calling out why NDSU is doing better. It is simply that NDSU is located in a metro area, has a great football tradition, can sell out most games in a 19,000 seat venue, and has far superior facilities. Funny how the jack fans always measure themselves against NDSU. Several of the article comments have to call out NDSU, like this one from another cocky bunny fan:
MVRabbit (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=deedd64399394cb4814df1abbe1e125d&plckUserId=deedd64399394cb4814df1abbe1e125d) wrote:
What does NDSU landing 2 Sioux Falls kids have to do with USD & SDSU renewing their rivalry?!? This article makes no sense, but thanks for sharing your pointless thoughts Stu. The Jacks will continue to do their talking on the field and during the Dakota Marker game, thats all that really matters here. Early prediction for htis year - Jacks 42 Bison 13

mango
08-14-2009, 03:42 PM
The article is just an attempt to get the SDSU fans all riled up so that they will think about scheduling USD. There wasn't really all that much in the artcle specifically calling out why NDSU is doing better. It is simply that NDSU is located in a metro area, has a great football tradition, can sell out most games in a 19,000 seat venue, and has far superior facilities. Funny how the jack fans always measure themselves against NDSU. Several of the article comments have to call out NDSU, like this one from another cocky bunny fan:
MVRabbit (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=deedd64399394cb4814df1abbe1e125d&plckUserId=deedd64399394cb4814df1abbe1e125d) wrote:
What does NDSU landing 2 Sioux Falls kids have to do with USD & SDSU renewing their rivalry?!? This article makes no sense, but thanks for sharing your pointless thoughts Stu. The Jacks will continue to do their talking on the field and during the Dakota Marker game, thats all that really matters here. Early prediction for htis year - Jacks 42 Bison 13

I'm pretty sure he was joking when he made that predicition. I expect nothing but a battle, like it has been since the move

bisonmike2
08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure he was joking when he made that predicition. I expect nothing but a battle, like it has been since the move

Have you read the articles about how bad our passing game sucks so far this year? The only way were getting 13 points is if our defense returns two picks for TD's and Bibeaux misses an extra point.:hide:

/kidding...I hope.

CaBisonFan
08-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Another high school beat writer trying to stir the pot to get attention.

NDSUstudent
08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm laughing at Zoopora right now, the guy has no clue about what kind of players NDSU recruits.

Here is is comment...

You could, oh, I don't know, do some research into the number of NDSU football recruits declared academically ineligible, the number of NCAA clearinghouse issues they've had with transcripts, and the number of off-the-field issues that NDSU has had before you pop off about how good NDSU is at recruiting.

After all, ANYONE can throw crap at a wall and see what sticks....

Compare that with Stig & Berry being national finalists for character based awards, SDSU's outstanding number of academic all-americans, and the 'Rabbit's MVC best GPA.

Maybe then you'll have a better idea about Jackrabbit athletics--it ain't about the facilities, Stu.

Here are the facts.....

MVC Academic Honor Roll....

NDSU-37 players
The bastion of knowledge and center for academic excellence aka SDSU- 36 players

bisonmike2
08-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm laughing at Zoopora right now, the guy has no clue about what kind of players NDSU recruits.

Here is is comment...

Here are the facts.....

NDSU-37 players
The bastion of knowledge and center for academic excellence aka SDSU- 36 players

Please tell me you added that in their comments.

mango
08-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Here is is comment...

Here are the facts.....

NDSU-37 players

Zoopora is a terrible representation of SDSU fans...

I can't stand him

cvbison1
08-14-2009, 05:01 PM
"The #11 ranked Jacks are doing just fine on their own, while continuing to beat up on upper-echelon FCS teams"

the bunnies are ranked number 11 in the country??? what kind of terrible poll is that???? and who are the upper-echelon FCS teams they beat up on?

mango
08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
"The #11 ranked Jacks are doing just fine on their own, while continuing to beat up on upper-echelon FCS teams"

the bunnies are ranked number 11 in the country??? what kind of terrible poll is that???? and who are the upper-echelon FCS teams they beat up on?

There is a poll that has the Jacks ranked #11, I want to say its the Athlon poll. I didn't get the upper-echelon thing either, the only notable win against someone ranked was when the Bison were ranked #1

NDSUstudent
08-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Zoopora is a terrible representation of SDSU fans...

I can't stand him

Yeah, don't get me started. He is kind of like a light version of mplsbison.

NDSUstudent
08-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Please tell me you added that in their comments.

I just added it, and corrected another rabbit fan that thought NDSU was buried in debt.

tjbison
08-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Zoopaloopa is a complete moron, he thinks Stiggy has the cleanest purest, non problem kids in the nation

mebisonII
08-14-2009, 05:58 PM
You could, oh, I don't know, do some research into the number of NDSU football recruits declared academically ineligible, the number of NCAA clearinghouse issues they've had with transcripts, and the number of off-the-field issues that NDSU has had before you pop off about how good NDSU is at recruiting.

After all, ANYONE can throw crap at a wall and see what sticks....

Compare that with Stig & Berry being national finalists for character based awards, SDSU's outstanding number of academic all-americans, and the 'Rabbit's MVC best GPA.

Maybe then you'll have a better idea about Jackrabbit athletics--it ain't about the facilities, Stu.

Hate to tell you, Rabbit fans, but a post like this on a public space pretty much guarantees that SDSU will have at least a few clearinghouse problem, a couple MIP/DUIs, and lose a budding star due to academic ineligibility. Murphy's law, and all, ya know. NDSU fans would know, I'm pretty sure our off-season problems were tightly related to pointing the finger at UND when they lost their star to academic issues. And there's the whole "Indian party at UND --> NDSU says "what tools" --> Blackface at NDSU event" issue. :banghead:

Don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't happen, I'm just saying...

mango
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Hate to tell you, Rabbit fans, but a post like this on a public space pretty much guarantees that SDSU will have at least a few clearinghouse problem, a couple MIP/DUIs, and lose a budding star due to academic ineligibility. Murphy's law, and all, ya know. NDSU fans would know, I'm pretty sure our off-season problems were tightly related to pointing the finger at UND when they lost their star to academic issues. And there's the whole "Indian party at UND --> NDSU says "what tools" --> Blackface at NDSU event" issue. :banghead:

I have that feeling too. With him saying that, it just seems like several bad things will happen to SDSU

HerdBot
08-15-2009, 12:50 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3a0c9c4244-ff54-412b-991f-7c9afe23119c&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

A blog entry that I'm sure Bison fans will enjoy. Stu is the sports editor at the Argus and is always complaining about something. He especially has a distaste in his mouth for SDSU, especially since we moved up to DI as he was one of the people who was vehemently against it. Every success we've had at the DI level, there's Stu writing an article to try and knock us down. But oh well, it's a good read for NDSU fans. Enjoy, and try not to gloat too hard.

It was a good article and he has some good points but it's really focusing on the negative. I think you guys have done a good job but I think we all agree you guys have a lot to do to catch up to NDSU football and I don't even mean that in a negative way. Tradition takes years and Rome wasn't built overnight.

I like his bit on SDSU/USD and I think NDSU should take the same approach to playing UND. Although calling the Dakota Marker "sillly" is insulting. It's both programs first ever D1 trophy. It's new, just as the Nickel once was and in 100 years it will still be around and fans love it! Look at the Big Ten. They have numerous trophy title games! Why is NDSU/UND/USD/SDSU any different? We've been playing each other for a hundred years...

Here's what he said...

"The short-term strategy to combat NDSU's "bells and whistles," as USD coach Ed Meierkort points out, is for the Jacks and Coyotes to play each other and reap the benefits of that exposure.

If you want to get kids excited about playing for your program, you need to revive the rivalry and show future recruits that big-time battles can occur within our own borders, not merely by chasing some silly marker against the folks up north."

56BISON73
08-15-2009, 12:55 AM
It was a good article and he has some good points but it's really focusing on the negative. I think you guys have done a good job but I think we all agree you guys have a lot to do to catch up to NDSU football and I don't even mean that in a negative way. Tradition takes years and Rome wasn't built overnight.

I like his bit on SDSU/USD and I think NDSU should take the same approach to playing UND. Although calling the Dakota Marker "sillly" is insulting. It's both programs first ever D1 trophy. It's new, just as the Nickel once was and in 100 years it will still be around and fans love it! Look at the Big Ten. They have numerous trophy title games! Why is NDSU/UND/USD/SDSU any different? We've been playing each other for a hundred years...

Here's what he said...

"The short-term strategy to combat NDSU's "bells and whistles," as USD coach Ed Meierkort points out, is for the Jacks and Coyotes to play each other and reap the benefits of that exposure.

If you want to get kids excited about playing for your program, you need to revive the rivalry and show future recruits that big-time battles can occur within our own borders, not merely by chasing some silly marker against the folks up north."

Hes kind of got a point.

tjbison
08-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Hes kind of got a point.

except for the "big time" battle yes he's right a good game can be played in their borders and ours

BisonNeil
08-15-2009, 04:51 PM
There is a poll that has the Jacks ranked #11, I want to say its the Athlon poll. I didn't get the upper-echelon thing either, the only notable win against someone ranked was when the Bison were ranked #1

The Lindy poll has SDSU at #11, SIll at #12, so it means what it means.

SDbison
08-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Hes kind of got a point.
Playing your instate rival will do very little to grow a program. Look at how many kids playing on NDSU's and SDSU's roster are from ND or SD. A win against an FBS team is worth 10 times as much to the student athlete, the fans and program as compared to a in state rival game. Thinking about the in state rival game over other more important games is so DII. Time to start thinking regionally and nationally which is what DI is all about.

SDbison
08-15-2009, 08:55 PM

I can tell you about the only advantage Brookings has over Fargo is that small town police are more likely to give an SDSU player a break if he is caught MIP or bordeline DUI (Mayberry RFD). That stuff just doesn't happen in Fargo.

tjbison
08-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I can tell you about the only advantage Brookings has over Fargo is that small town police are more likely to give an SDSU player a break if he is caught MIP or bordeline DUI (Mayberry RFD). That stuff just doesn't happen in Fargo.

Oh no!!! don't mention that to a SDSU fan they think Stiggy's S**T doesn't stink

56BISON73
08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Playing your instate rival will do very little to grow a program. Look at how many kids playing on NDSU's and SDSU's roster are from ND or SD. A win against an FBS team is worth 10 times as much to the student athlete, the fans and program as compared to a in state rival game. Thinking about the in state rival game over other more important games is so DII. Time to start thinking regionally and nationally which is what DI is all about.

Hmmm
USC-UCLA, Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Iowa State, Florida-Florida State, and the list could go on. I hardly think they think its so D2.

JacksFan06
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM

You obviously haven't partied in Brookings very much. The joke was always that there are more cops in town than there are residents and they get their quota's by targeting students.

SDSU has had a great run with recruits since entering DI in that we haven't had many off the field problems, any clearing house issues or academic ineligibilities, and haven't had to rely on bringing in very many JUCO's. Last year we had the best GPA of all the Missouri Valley teams and it was believed that our score was the highest ever in the conference.

This can always change though as it's just part of college athletics. NSDU has just hit the bug hard this year in that they've had issues with all three.

56BISON73
08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
You obviously haven't partied in Brookings very much. The joke was always that there are more cops in town than there are residents and they get their quota's by targeting students.

SDSU has had a great run with recruits since entering DI in that we haven't had many off the field problems, any clearing house issues or academic ineligibilities, and haven't had to rely on bringing in very many JUCO's. Last year we had the best GPA of all the Missouri Valley teams and it was believed that our score was the highest ever in the conference.

This can always change though as it's just part of college athletics. NSDU has just hit the bug hard this year in that they've had issues with all three.

It shows you folks are doing it right. Keep up the good work.
Agree that we have just hit a bmp in the roard. Many teams have gone through the same thing. When you hit that bump it does take time to change the culture for the bump. In time it will all work out.

Twentysix
08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Hmmm
USC-UCLA, Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Iowa State, Florida-Florida State, and the list could go on. I hardly think they think its so D2.

Point yes, but doesnt the Michigan-Ohio State game mean more to michigan than the one you listed?

Isnt that the "true" rivalry?

:P Regional.

But Yes the instate rivarlys are worthwile when both teams are respected and of the top Division.