PDA

View Full Version : How is this for a schedule?

HerdBot
08-12-2009, 05:33 AM
How's this for a schedule? 7 home games. The dome will be hosting 2 teams that have won a 9 combined National Championships (Georgia Southern and Youngstown), Northern Iowa, and UND. We get 1 decent home game with Illinois State. We've got 1 crap game in Missouri State and 1 cup cake to open the season.

We've got awesome easy roadtrips to Minneapolis and South Dakota State.

We've got 6 games that will have to be on TV, and that's assuming SDSU's AD is still a jackass and keeps it off the air.

I'm tellin' ya man! THAT will make me hold on to those season tickets like my life depends on it.

Playoffs? With 7 home games, it's going to be a lot easier to get close to the 8 wins needed to get in the playoffs. Plus our Saragin Rating will be through the roof so we could pull a Richmond and get in despite 4 losses and win the National Championship. With this schedule, we could split between UND/GeorgiaSouth, lose to Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois and still get in with 8 wins.

In case your wondering it's the real schedule for 2011 but I plugged UND in one of the open dates. Sure changes the dynamic of the schedule. How many would sell out? How many on TV?

Thu, Sep 01 (insert crap team here) TBA Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 10 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. (TV GAME, ROADTRIP!)

Sat, Sep 17 Georgia Southern Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, AWESOME NON CONFERENCE GAME vs 5x National Champs!)

Sat, Sep 24 North Dakota Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, HISTORIC GAME)

Sat, Oct 01 Illinois State * Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME)

Sat, Oct 08 Southern Illinois * at Carbondale, Ill. TBA

Sat, Oct 15 Missouri State * Fargo, N.D. (CRAP GAME)

Sat, Oct 22 South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) * at Brookings, S.D. ROAD TRIP!

Sat, Oct 29 Northern Iowa * Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, Can you believe we've already seen 5 great games?)

Sat, Nov 05 Indiana State * at Terre Haute, Ind. (CRAP GAME)

Sat, Nov 12 Youngstown State (Harvest Bowl) * Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, 5X NATIONAL CHAMPS)

Sat, Nov 19 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA

Odd seasons we get SDSU, Southern Illinois, and West Illinois at home. We get a roadtrip to Northern Iowa and Grand Forks. That's 3 great home games and 2 fun roadtrips. Doable roadtrips too.... sorry guys but I'm not one to travel to Ohio.

56BISON73
08-12-2009, 05:47 AM
How's this for a schedule? 7 home games. The dome will be hosting 2 teams that have won a 9 combined National Championships (Georgia Southern and Youngstown), Northern Iowa, and UND. We get 1 decent home game with Illinois State. We've got 1 crap game in Missouri State and 1 cup cake to open the season.

We've got 6 games that will have to be on TV, and that's assuming SDSU's AD is still a jackass and keeps it off the air.

I'm tellin' ya man! THAT will make me hold on to those season tickets like my life depends on it.

Playoffs? With 7 home games, it's going to be a lot easier to get close to the 8 wins needed to get in the playoffs. Plus our Saragin Rating will be through the roof so we could pull a Richmond and get in despite 4 losses and win the National Championship. With this schedule, we could split between UND/GeorgiaSouth, lose to Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois and still get in with 8 wins.

In case your wondering it's the real schedule for 2011 but I plugged UND in one of the open dates. Sure changes the dynamic of the schedule. How many would sell out? How many on TV?

Sat, Sep 17 Georgia Southern Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, AWESOME NON CONFERENCE GAME vs 5x National Champs!)

Sat, Oct 29 Northern Iowa * Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, Can you believe we've already seen 5 great games?)

Sat, Nov 12 Youngstown State (Harvest Bowl) * Fargo, N.D. (TV GAME, 5X NATIONAL CHAMPS)

Odd seasons we get SDSU, Southern Illinois, and West Illinois at home. We get a roadtrip to Northern Iowa and Grand Forks. That's 3 great home games and 2 fun roadtrips. Doable roadtrips too.... sorry guys but I'm not one to travel to Ohio.

That would be one hell of a season. Heck I wonder if I could get an apt in Fargo for about a month. Would save on travel.:D

G-city Bison Fan
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM

This is sorta spillover from another thread, but calling a home game with Ill St. decent is a bit ridiculous when you are gushing over und. Ill St. is an outstanding school with about 8000 more students enrolled compared to und, with a far nicer campus, in a larger, more highly educated city, closer to major cities like chicago and st. louis.

Have you ever been? It's a fantastic place to watch a football game, with a great school and an outstanding fan base. And I guarantee more people have graduated from, heard of, acknowledge Ill st. rather than und.

TheDoctor
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
UND is not even in a real conference. They need the game...we don't. Best case for them...we do a 2 for 1. Worst case....as Minnesota does to use....we only play them at The Dome. Why would we go up there? Not to be throwing smack, but they sent us off to fall on our faces. We didn't fall and I think at minumum the reward to receive is NEVER traveling there until we are forced to because they are in the conference. Play them...fine...but ONLY in our house. 20,000 people through the gate and all we have to pay for is the gas to get them down here and back....priceless. ;)

mango
08-12-2009, 03:38 PM

SDSU has a new AD, I have a feeling you will see a change in the Jacks TV policy soon

MNLonghorn10
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
didn't the tool shed up north not meet d1 attendance requirements? or do they count standing room as seats?

Swany
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I've got a feeling that it's not a matter of if, but when, with regards to playing UND again. The first game, or two, should be in Fargo. As it should be for all the reasons frequently cited. Eventually it will probably get back to a home-and-home type series. The game itself goes back to before North Dakota was a state. If you are a football fan, and have ever been to a Bison v. Sioux game (in any sport, particularly football) you are NUTS for not wanting to play UND only because they acted like juveniles when we made the move to DI. Let's grow up, get over it, and get it on. Like adults.

Furthermore, I want to hit on one thing that is often argued with regards to playing UND: that we don't need the game. It is true, in the truest sense of the word "need," that we don't need the game. But come on? UND or Wagner? Rewind to last fall? UND or Austin Peay or Central Connecticut? What about Nov. 7 this fall - open week or UND? I'd rather see us play UND than Austin Peay, Central Conn., Wagner, or an open week.

I've been around Bison athletics and North Dakota enough to know that a majority - vast majority - of the state and fans would probably support playing the game again over not playing it. When interviewing former Bison greats for Bison Illustrated, whether it was Bentrim, Satter, Stacy Robinson, Berwald, Wash, etc. etc., one thing all those guys say about their favorite Bison memories are those games versus UND. Those of you who've been to a Bison-Sioux game know why. Those of you who haven't, you have sadly missed out.

BRING THE GAME BACK. After all, the Nickel Trophy would look good sitting next to the Dakota Marker in coming seasons :nod: :nod:

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
you're not as close as you think swany.

North Dakota became a state in 1889.
NDSU was established in the constitution.
The football program began in 1894.

tony
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, UND and NDSU will play again - it's just a matter of when.

However, I don't think it's likely that NDSU will gain a TV game out of the deal - UND will but NDSU won't.

BTW, how's this for a conspiracy theory: UND really went after Stony Brook to put NDSU in a situation where the Bison had one date to fill that corresponded to one of UND's open dates* (the only reason I think this is that there is no way UND should be able to outbid NDSU for a home game).

*Now I'm just messing with ya.

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
NDSU: [thinking to itself] Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe UND isn't such a bad school. After all, NDSU is the largest, most diversified institution of higher learning in the Dakotas, UND's got a punch of preppies in pink turtle necks. But still, why should UND get to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants? Why should everything work out for UND? What makes UND so goddamn special?
[spoken]

NDSU: Screw 'em.

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
you're not as close as you think swany.

North Dakota became a state in 1889.
NDSU was established in the constitution.
The football program began in 1894.

Oooooo.....big mistake. :cool:

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
If you are a football fan, and have ever been to a Bison v. Sioux game (in any sport, particularly football) you are NUTS for not wanting to play UND only because they acted like juveniles when we made the move to DI.

There are a number of other reasons.

1. It validates their program
2. It is a source of revenue for them
3. It takes a game away from playing a BCS money game
4. It takes away from scheduling a gimme win game
5. It takes away from playing an away game for marketing

There are 11 games in most seasons.

I want 2 ooc homegames. That means we get to pick between a BCS game, a game against a team in a prime recruiting area (CA, FL, TX/LA), a top 25 team, or UND.

Sorry, but it in light of everything it ain't worth it.

I think we do a 2-4-1 on our terms. NDSU has all say on dates and order.

Shawn-O
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
There are a number of other reasons.
1. It validates their program

I've seen some whoppers on here, but this might be the most arrogant statement I've ever read on this board. Wow.

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 05:08 PM
The day UND plays NDSU marks a significant milestone in their transition, regardless if it happens in 2010 or 2014.

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
NDSU: [thinking to itself] Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe UND isn't such a bad school. After all, NDSU is the largest, most diversified institution of higher learning in the Dakotas, UND's got a punch of preppies in pink turtle necks. But still, why should UND get to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants? Why should everything work out for UND? What makes UND so goddamn special?
[spoken]

NDSU: Screw 'em.

You may have hit on something. Maybe that's what makes beating the crap out of them so special. The old rivalry went in cycles as far as who beat who...but in my lifetime...the Bison have been the dominant force...by far. Would love to have seen Walker, Mays, and company play around with them. It's a little unfortunate for those guys, that they didn't get to lay it on the sue.

We play them when we decide it's time to play them. We play them on our terms. We play them if it helps our program. We play them when the program is flying like a G5. We play them after they have gotten through the 5 years of purgatory and have their scholarship levels filled and paid for. If we should happen to beat them by anything less than 4 touchdowns...they'd claim victory because they didn't have as many schollie players on their roster. That...is the way of UND.

You never play UND when they feel they can claim a moral victory. They decided that playing NDSU wasn't worth it. Taylor & Company will decide when it's time.

Shawn-O
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
The day UND plays NDSU marks a significant milestone in their transition, regardless if it happens in 2010 or 2014.

It will be a significant milestone in the chronology of the series, nothing more nothing less. The notion that NDSU would be somehow hindering UND's transition is udder :D nonsense.

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
agree to disagree (a lot).

it will have no impact on the official process, but it will have a huge impact in every other way.

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
It will be a significant milestone in the chronology of the series, nothing more nothing less. The notion that NDSU would be somehow hindering UND's transition is udder :D nonsense.

I could care less about UND's transition. We're through it. UND had an opportunity to join us and called us fools. The arrogance, or complete stupidity from UND country, was a real milestone...but it wasn't a shock.

We moved on. I still can't see UND in my rearview mirror in terms of how much I care. And to think that I actually used to cheer for UND basketball and hockey.

You're a visitor Shawn-O. Don't forget to remember. A comment like yours about arrogance would have gotten you bounced from the sioux forum. Not kidding.

Shawn-O
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I could care less about UND's transition. We're through it. UND had an opportunity to join us and called us fools. The arrogance, or complete stupidity from UND country, was a real milestone...but it wasn't a shock.

We moved on. I still can't see UND in my rearview mirror in terms of how much I care. And to think that I actually used to cheer for UND basketball and hockey.

You're a visitor Shawn-O. Don't forget to remember. A comment like yours about arrogance would have gotten you bounced from the sioux forum. Not kidding.

I totally get the angle around doing what's best for NDSU and I when I look at it from a business perspective I understand where you're coming from.

CaBisonFan, I not sure if I'm a visitor, or just another poster with a different viewpoint. It would be one thing if that were my first post, but I feel like I've been around long enough to be able to speak with candor.

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
but I feel like I've been around long enough to be able to speak with candor.

you can speak with any type of bird you want, shawn-o.

MN_BISON
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Cut Shawn some slack, he's one of the good guys and is just calling it how he sees it, doesn't make him right.:D

Back to the thread, I like that schedule a lot. I don't think it will be UND though, maybe put USD in their place and push the Sioux back to 2012. With such a strong home schedule, my thoughts are Gene will put the Sioux in his back pocket for the 2012 season. Can you imagine the noise out of el Forko Grande if the Bison scheduled the Yotes first! :D

56BISON73
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM

He rights. And considering what other visitors have said here I consider his comment pretty mild. Hes also a very reasonable level headed poster.
But why the above is a talking point I have no idea.

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I totally get the angle around doing what's best for NDSU and I when I look at it from a business perspective I understand where you're coming from.

CaBisonFan, I not sure if I'm a visitor, or just another poster with a different viewpoint. It would be one thing if that were my first post, but I feel like I've been around long enough to be able to speak with candor.

You're just another poster if you're a Bison fan. Are you a Bison fan? I mean...do you honestly cheer for the Bison?

Shawn-O
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
You're just another poster if you're a Bison fan. Are you a Bison fan? I mean...do you honestly cheer for the Bison?

That is a different debate and I'll be glad to take it offline. Bison Dan's views on SS are against the grain most of the time but he has a right to be there. Sorry to get off topic.

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
[/quote]He rights. And considering what other visitors have said here I consider his comment pretty mild. Hes also a very reasonable level headed poster. But why the above is a talking point I have no idea.[/quote]

I agree that he has been a reasonable visitor most of the time. My point being that a Bison fan visiting SS talking about Sioux arrogance wouldn't last long.

TransAmBison
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
That is a different debate and I'll be glad to take it offline. Bison Dan's views on SS are against the grain most of the time but he has a right to be there. Sorry to get off topic.
:rofl: Take it offline fellas! :rofl:

tjbison
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Its ok CA he comes here for relief after all he has to deal with buttheads like the guy in my sig lina and oh yeah MPLS BISON posts over there so in reality I feel really sorry for Shawn-O

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM

It's not a debate. I have no idea what Bison Dan does on SS because I don't visit there anymore. I used to...but found that 'any' mention of Bison topics was not welcome.

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Its ok CA he comes here for relief after all he has to deal with buttheads like the guy in my sig lina and oh yeah MPLS BISON posts over there so in reality I feel really sorry for Shawn-O

Good point tj. Maybe he should have the operation though.

GOB1SON
08-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I am getting so sick and tired of this crap.

You can come up with as many reasons not to play UND as you want. Revenge, justice, arrogance, whatever.

They are all just silly.

How the hell do you not play your natural rival? How the hell do you not foster the natural passion that rises when you have U play State? How the hell do you not take advantage of that?

UND and NDSU should be playing each other in every sport, every year. I don't care how they acted when we transitioned. I just want to see the damn games. I want to have t-shirts made that say Sioux Suck. I want to hate UND. They are MY rival.

When I drive down I-29 and I see a UND bumper sticker or a license holder, I feel sorry for the poor schmuck in the car. I am sure UND fans feel the same way when they see my license plate and my teammakers sticker.

That is the way it is SUPPOSED TO BE. How can you have two schools from one state so similar in size and history and not play the damn game? HOW?

Come up with every silly reason you want, but they are all petty. The game(s) will all be money makers and will all inspire great passion and fandom and hate for the opposing team. And that is what college sports are supposed to do.

Rant over. Go ahead and neg rep me if you want. Just quit whining about how UND treated us in the past and using this as an excuse for our future actions.

Mervin72
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM

You can come up with as many reasons not to play UND as you want. Revenge, justice, arrogance, whatever.

They are all just silly.

How the hell do you not play your natural rival? How the hell do you not foster the natural passion that rises when you have U play State? How the hell do you not take advantage of that?

UND and NDSU should be playing each other in every sport, every year. I don't care how they acted when we transitioned. I just want to see the damn games. I want to have t-shirts made that say Sioux Suck. I want to hate UND. They are MY rival.

When I drive down I-29 and I see a UND bumper sticker or a license holder, I feel sorry for the poor schmuck in the car. I am sure UND fans feel the same way when they see my license plate and my teammakers sticker.

That is the way it is SUPPOSED TO BE. How can you have two schools from one state so similar in size and history and not play the damn game? HOW?

Come up with every silly reason you want, but they are all petty. The game(s) will all be money makers and will all inspire great passion and fandom and hate for the opposing team. And that is what college sports are supposed to do.

Rant over. Go ahead and neg rep me if you want. Just quit whining about how UND treated us in the past and using this as an excuse for our future actions.

I have spoken to Gene Taylor about this exact issue on a number of occasions and while he does admit that everyone in the state and alumni abroad would love to see this matchup, it has to be in the best interest of the University and the team. If it affects the Bison's post season opportunities at all, then they (the Bison) will not do it. It will happen in time, but lets just make sure the Bison don't suffer for it.

tjbison
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Playing UND will not hurt us they are a counter now likewise with USD so that doesn't hold water IMO!

Green-N-Gold
08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I think we do a 2-4-1 on our terms. NDSU has all say on dates and order.

Do the 2 for 1 and then pull a _______ (insert Big Sky team here) and take the buyout for year 3 ;)

Bison bison
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM

They are all just silly.

What's with all the hate?

56BISON73
08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
With great schedules and rivalries comes great attendance even in down years. people will travel distance to see good games and great rivalries.
People will by season tickets just to get tickets for the good games.
Great schedules and rivalries create a market for tickets.

Amused
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
You may have hit on something. Maybe that's what makes beating the crap out of them so special. The old rivalry went in cycles as far as who beat who...but in my lifetime...the Bison have been the dominant force...by far. Would love to have seen Walker, Mays, and company play around with them. It's a little unfortunate for those guys, that they didn't get to lay it on the sue.

This statement interested me...since the last cycle (1993-2003) was dominated by UND. For CaBisonFan and many on Bisonville, that might be true. But it does go in pretty definite cycles.

Overall, NDSU is 45-62-3 against UND.

If you were born in 2004 or later, you have no record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born from 1987-2003, you have a losing record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born from 1957-1985, you have a winning record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born in 1986 or 1956, you have a .500 record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born in 1955 or earlier, you have a losing record against UND in your lifetime.

(Beats what I was supposed to be working on this afternoon.)

RedRiver
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Gene Taylor has stated numerous times that the earliest the rivalry game in football will resume is 2012.

So move on and focus on who is on the schedule not who may be in 3-4 years.

Its boring.

SDbison
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I know it doesn't mean squat, but during the 13 year streak of NDSU victories over UND from 1979 to 1991 (I could be off a year or so) NDSU just demolished UND and won by several touchdowns in many of those games. From 1992 to 2003 I believe UND won 10 of those 12 years. Almost all of those UND victories over NDSU were by 7 or less points.
I don't have time to look up all the stats so I am just going from memory. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
In summary, NDSU took UND to the woodshed during their streak and UND eeked out their victories during their streak. Take that for what its worth.

Trim
08-12-2009, 09:41 PM
The streak ended in 1993.

TransAmBison
08-12-2009, 09:48 PM
The year I started college. *sigh*

SDbison
08-12-2009, 09:50 PM
So NDSU's last win in the streak was 1992, correct?
Just to verify, it was 13 years long so it went from the 1980 game through and including the 1992 game......

CaBisonFan
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
This statement interested me...since the last cycle (1993-2003) was dominated by UND. For CaBisonFan and many on Bisonville, that might be true. But it does go in pretty definite cycles.

Overall, NDSU is 45-62-3 against UND.

If you were born in 2004 or later, you have no record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born from 1987-2003, you have a losing record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born from 1957-1985, you have a winning record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born in 1986 or 1956, you have a .500 record against UND in your lifetime.

If you were born in 1955 or earlier, you have a losing record against UND in your lifetime.

(Beats what I was supposed to be working on this afternoon.)

Good work on these stats. The rivalry has gone in cycles. If it was lopsided completely in one direction, it wouldn't have been a rivalry. Middle one. I'll give you another challenge when you're up to it. In the time periods that you worked on...how many times were the games a blowout, and who applied it?

SDbison
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
So it was you who jinxed the Bison!:(
Actually, when I started doing the NDSU / UND satellite game broadcast in Sioux Falls back in 1993 I must have caused the jinx. :smh:

BraxtonT
08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
1981-1992

1981: Bison's first win of the season, IIRC. Lost first two games on the road and then walloped the top-ranked team in the country (UND) at Dacotah Field.

SDbison
08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
1981-1992

1981: Bison's first win of the season, IIRC. Lost first two games on the road and then walloped the top-ranked team in the country (UND) at Dacotah Field.
So it was a 12 year winning streak. Thanks!

Herd
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
The UND games will mostly likely NOT be annual, but more like every other year. Boy, if you loose that game it would be awfully painful for the next 24 months, or joyous if you win.

Amused
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
So NDSU's last win in the streak was 1992, correct?
Just to verify, it was 13 years long so it went from the 1980 game through and including the 1992 game......

Just to clarify, UND won in 1980 and again in 1993. So it was 13 years between wins, but the streak itself was 12 games.

tjbison
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
who are the Jackrabbits?????

thought they were our rival!!! LOL:D

CarringtonBison
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
1981-1992

welcome back braxtonT-haven't seen ya in a bit; thought maybe you were deported

UTH
08-13-2009, 01:22 AM

They are all just silly.

Personally, I think it's just silly to want to perpetuate this desire to really hate someone. Just let them go. My reasoning has nothing to do with revenge, justice, or "arrogance". I'd rather never see them again because somebody always seems to say or do something colossally silly and call it a "rivalry". No thanks, mesays.

UTH
08-13-2009, 01:25 AM

So, it's your fault. Gee thanks, TAB.:smh:

56BISON73
08-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Personally, I think it's just silly to want to perpetuate this desire to really hate someone. Just let them go. My reasoning has nothing to do with revenge, justice, or "arrogance". I'd rather never see them again because somebody always seems to say or do something colossally silly and call it a "rivalry". No thanks, mesays.

Hey where are you????

UTH
08-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey where are you????

Camp Atterbury, Indiana.

TransAmBison
08-13-2009, 01:39 AM
So, it's your fault. Gee thanks, TAB.:smh:
Yeah, but I think Arden Beachey deserves a little heat. If he had not been so selfish to blow out his knee we would have won against the firetrucks that year...as well as had another NC to add to the case.

NDSU1980
08-13-2009, 03:05 AM
In case your wondering it's the real schedule for 2011 but I plugged UND in one of the open dates. .

I bet when you were in High School, after your steady girlfriend dumped you, then told all her friends and half of your friends that you'd be the last person on earth she'd ever date again, you still took her back, didn't you? (admit it, you did, even after she made a fool out you)

God, I hope we never get so desperate as to play the sioux.

Shawn-O
08-13-2009, 03:07 AM

So UND was 3-0 in the dome while you were there. "They built it, we own it". :D ;)

4mcruenomore
08-13-2009, 03:30 AM
So UND was 3-0 in the dome while you were there. "They built it, we own it". :D ;)

But I do remember that 1995 playoff game very clearly!..!

cvbison1
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM

what year was it NDSU finally won in the dome?

56BISON73
08-13-2009, 03:33 AM
I bet when you were in High School, after your steady girlfriend dumped you, then told all her friends and half of your friends that you'd be the last person on earth she'd ever date again, you still still took her back, didn't you? (admit it, you did, even after she made a fool out you)

Is this some type of Fruedian flash back that you keep experiencing? Or have you been watching alot of old movies?:D

56BISON73
08-13-2009, 03:42 AM
what year was it NDSU finally won in the dome?

The last year they beat UND was in 2000 16-13.

4mcruenomore
08-13-2009, 03:49 AM
2000 everyone stormed the field.
We were also screwed out of a home playoff game, and we tired out in the playoffs and had some injuries, it could have been a NC team.

cvbison1
08-13-2009, 03:52 AM
2000 everyone stormed the field.
We were also screwed out of a home playoff game, and we tired out in the playoffs and had some injuries, it could have been a NC team.

i was at the game i just forgot what year it was.

and

i remember watching the delta state game on t.v. jason jordan had to qb that game

HerdBot
08-13-2009, 03:52 AM
I have spoken to Gene Taylor about this exact issue on a number of occasions and while he does admit that everyone in the state and alumni abroad would love to see this matchup, it has to be in the best interest of the University and the team. If it affects the Bison's post season opportunities at all, then they (the Bison) will not do it. It will happen in time, but lets just make sure the Bison don't suffer for it.

By that argument, why are we playing Georgia Southern as a non conference home game? Why did we try to get Montana State in the dome? These are both very tough games to win. These games will increase our Saragin rating and make us a better team. Playing crap teams doesn't make you better. Besides, we already get a few winnable conference games every year.

Montana went to the Championship game last year and their non conference games were Davis and Poly. Scheduling weak teams is basically admitting that your not good enough. Sure is a far cry from the "Bring On The Competition" slogan that sits in the locker room.

4mcruenomore
08-13-2009, 03:57 AM
By that argument, why are we playing Georgia Southern as a non conference home game? Why did we try to get Montana State in the dome? These are both very tough games to win. These games will increase our Saragin rating and make us a better team. Playing crap teams doesn't make you better. Besides, we already get a few winnable conference games every year.

Montana went to the Championship game last year and their non conference games were Davis and Poly. Scheduling weak teams is basically admitting that your not good enough. Sure is a far cry from the "Bring On The Competition" slogan that sits in the locker room.

Maybe he knows we maybe not good enough this year or next?? Who knows, should have played them in 2006 or 2007. I just want to win, we can't afford a loss in the FFD to them, seriously. Not taking away from their program, it's just the way I feel.

HerdBot
08-13-2009, 04:01 AM

It also marks a significant milestone in our transition. It's when we take the teams popularity to the next level.

HerdBot
08-13-2009, 04:08 AM
I bet when you were in High School, after your steady girlfriend dumped you, then told all her friends and half of your friends that you'd be the last person on earth she'd ever date again, you still still took her back, didn't you? (admit it, you did, even after she made a fool out you)

I never looked at us moving to D1 as being dumped by the Sioux. I think we actually dumped them and ran off with SDSU. Now we're looking for a threesome! OK, these are creepy analogies.

4mcruenomore
08-13-2009, 04:41 AM
It's funny how the "new" und fans say how they have dominated us since 1990, but they tend not to mention those few years were we were awesome. They want to forget about 2000, and say we never did anything since 1990. We had some down years, but we still had some good years too.

HerdBot
08-13-2009, 05:26 AM
It's funny how the "new" und fans say how they have dominated us since 1990, but they tend not to mention those few years were we were awesome. They want to forget about 2000, and say we never did anything since 1990. We had some down years, but we still had some good years too.

And they always forget about the 95 playoff game. When it really mattered, we won.

GradBison
08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
i was at the game i just forgot what year it was.

and

i remember watching the delta state game on t.v. jason jordan had to qb that game

Yup, I remember seeing freshman QB Jordan escorted by Johnson and Gorder both on crutches at the 19th ave Burger King before the semifinal game.
I also remember Lamar Gordon taking direct snaps while the QB was used as an extra blocker in that game. Freaking tough loss on that crap field..

Amused
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Good work on these stats. The rivalry has gone in cycles. If it was lopsided completely in one direction, it wouldn't have been a rivalry. Middle one. I'll give you another challenge when you're up to it. In the time periods that you worked on...how many times were the games a blowout, and who applied it?

Here's more than you probably want to know:

In the total series, 1894-2003:
NDSU trails the series 45-62-3
NDSU trails in total points 1,599 - 1,882
NDSU has been shut out 22 times, UND 6
The maximum points scored were 64 for NDSU, 58 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU has blown out UND 14 times, UND has blown out NDSU 19 times.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 50 points, for UND it was 46 points.

Now let's get rid of the old games. Starting with the 1956 season seems the reasonable place to do it. There has been exactly 50 games since then, and both teams have had good and bad cycles. Also, most of us wouldn't remember games before that anyway.

In the past 50 games, 1956-2003:
The series is tied 25-25-0
NDSU leads in total points 1,027 - 873
NDSU has been shut out 2 times, UND 2
The maximum points scored were 64 for NDSU, 39 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU has blown out UND 11 times, UND has blown out NDSU 4 times.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 50 points, for UND it was 36 points.

Of these 50 games, I broke it down further into 3 periods. The first 1956-1980 (slight UND edge), then 1981-1992 (The Streak), and then 1993 and after where UND dominated.

From 1956 - 1980:
NDSU trailed the series 10-15-0
NDSU trails in total points 420 - 475
NDSU w shut out 2 times, UND 0
The maximum points scored were 64 for NDSU, 38 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU blew out UND 3 times, UND blew out NDSU 3 times.

From 1981 - 1992:
NDSU leads the series 12-0-0
NDSU leads in total points 383 - 130
NDSU was shut out 0 times, UND 2
The maximum points scored were 62 for NDSU, 28 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU blew out UND 6 times.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 49 points.

From 1993 - 2003:
NDSU trails the series 3-10-0
NDSU trails in total points 224 - 268
There were no shutouts.
The maximum points scored were 41 for NDSU, 39 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU blew out UND 2 times, UND blew out NDSU 1 time.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 31 points, largest margin of victory for UND was 21.

To answer the question I think you're looking for, even though the last 50 games were tied, when NDSU wins it's by a bigger margin than when UND wins (18.2 vs 12.0). Again, this is skewed quite a bit by the domination during The Streak.

For example, if you look at those 50 games and then take out The Streak, NDSU was only outscored by 99 points (644-743) in 38 games, but the record was 13-25-0.

One thing I did not know before is that UND also had a 12-game winning streak, from 1953-1964.

Tatanka
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Yup, I remember seeing freshman QB Jordan escorted by Johnson and Gorder both on crutches at the 19th ave Burger King before the semifinal game.
I also remember Lamar Gordon taking direct snaps while the QB was used as an extra blocker in that game. Freaking tough loss on that crap field..

Yay! Kitty Litter! Thanks, TMWTFN!

Bison Dan
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's more than you probably want to know:

In the total series, 1894-2003:
NDSU trails the series 45-62-3
NDSU trails in total points 1,599 - 1,882
NDSU has been shut out 22 times, UND 6
The maximum points scored were 64 for NDSU, 58 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU has blown out UND 14 times, UND has blown out NDSU 19 times.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 50 points, for UND it was 46 points.

Now let's get rid of the old games. Starting with the 1956 season seems the reasonable place to do it. There has been exactly 50 games since then, and both teams have had good and bad cycles. Also, most of us wouldn't remember games before that anyway.

In the past 50 games, 1956-2003:
The series is tied 25-25-0
NDSU leads in total points 1,027 - 873
NDSU has been shut out 2 times, UND 2
The maximum points scored were 64 for NDSU, 39 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU has blown out UND 11 times, UND has blown out NDSU 4 times.

Of these 50 games, I broke it down further into 3 periods. The first 1956-1980 (slight UND edge), then 1981-1992 (The Streak), and then 1993 and after where UND dominated.

From 1956 - 1980:
NDSU trailed the series 10-15-0
NDSU trails in total points 420 - 475
NDSU w shut out 2 times, UND 0
The maximum points scored were 64 for NDSU, 38 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU blew out UND 3 times, UND blew out NDSU 3 times.

From 1981 - 1992:
NDSU leads the series 12-0-0
NDSU leads in total points 383 - 130
NDSU was shut out 0 times, UND 2
The maximum points scored were 62 for NDSU, 28 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU blew out UND 6 times.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 49 points.

From 1993 - 2003:
NDSU trails the series 3-10-0
NDSU trails in total points 224 - 268
There were no shutouts.
The maximum points scored were 41 for NDSU, 39 for UND
If we consider a "blowout" to by >19 points, NDSU blew out UND 2 times, UND blew out NDSU 1 time.
Largest margin of victory for NDSU was 31 points, largest margin of victory for UND was 21.

To answer the question I think you're looking for, even though the last 50 games were tied, when NDSU wins it's by a bigger margin than when UND wins (18.2 vs 12.0). Again, this is skewed quite a bit by the domination during The Streak.

For example, if you look at those 50 games and then take out The Streak, NDSU was only outscored by 99 points (644-743) in 38 games, but the record was 13-25-0.

One thing I did not know before is that UND also had a 12-game winning streak, from 1953-1964.

You forgot the best stat of all:

8 > 1