PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Band Thread

mebisonII
08-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Its that time of year again: The band moves in THIS SUNDAY! A full week of practice (more than I had in my day). That should certainly help with all the rookies who have never marched before.

Last year, the band surprised with flux capacitors, nice new uniforms, and the PTFS show, any insiders want to hint about what's coming up this year? What are the numbers like this year? What section will be loudest, biggest, most annoying, best looking, and most hungover at the first game? Do the trumpets still do pre-game breakfast at 5am? So many questions!

Its almost game time...come for the show, stay for the game! :p

http://www.goldstarband.org/marchingband/images/SMNDSUBAND01.jpg

Bison"FANatic"
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I am curious to see how large they are this year. The improvement last year was great and it will be interesting to see if they can keep it going.

Here's to the Band :cheers: :cheers:

TbonZach
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
What section will be loudest,....most annoying,....and most hungover at the first game?

Trumpets. ;) :p

Best looking? Trombones, of course. :D

tjbison
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Trumpets. ;) :p

Best looking? Trombones, of course. :D

Sorry man gonna have to go with the dancing girls on best looking

TbonZach
08-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry man gonna have to go with the dancing girls on best looking

I dunno. There's some pretty good looking ones in the section. And good looking guys, too, I guess. If one is into that sort of thing...

mebisonII
08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Tell any marching band trumpet player that his section is the loudest and most annoying and he will probably break down in tears of joy.

Most hung-over*: I've seen some bleary-eyed mellophones on game days. And since the entire flute section usually weighs a collective 200 lbs, it doesn't take much to send them over either.

Another question: What will be added to the long list of legendary band quotes...

"Do you want to do 'The Stripper' or 'Gimme some lovin'"?

"Hey Sarah, I need your number."

*over team headsets* "We need a medic down by the marching band."

Nostalgia setting in...

TbonZach
08-12-2009, 04:19 AM
On there serious side, though. From what I've heard so far, there are:

17 clarinets
32 trumpets
14 sousas

BlueBisonRock
08-12-2009, 04:24 AM

17 clarinets
32 trumpets
14 sousas

Hmmmn. And ..... 76 Trombones???

**** You knew it was coming! :D

mebisonII
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM

17 clarinets
32 trumpets
14 sousas

:D Awesome.

14 sousas will round out the bottom quite nicely too, that's great.

TbonZach, I've never figured out for sure, did we overlap for a year or two? I'm pretty sure I know who you are, but not certain.

cbline
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
GSMB made some great strides last year!! Will be good to see things get even better in 2009!!

BigDeal
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Rumor on the streets is that enrollment is up about 20 this year. I would expect to see numbers start to level off over the next couple years.

mebisonII, TbonZach and I started the same year, in 2004. I think we both missed you by one year.

Anyone here going to be in the "Old Star Band" at homecoming?

TbonZach
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
mebisonII, TbonZach and I started the same year, in 2004. I think we both missed you by one year.

Anyone here going to be in the "Old Star Band" at homecoming?

Actually, I started in 2003. And I "should" be in the Old Star Band. :hide:

mebisonII
08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Ah, I was pretty sure we had overlapped. I will not make it up for the Old Star Band. To bad the band isn't coming to Ames!

Graduation is a good thing now and then...might want to look into it :p

Bison101
08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Will the Post Traumatic Funk-Syndrome perform again? That was pretty sweet at the SDSU game!

VanClubPres
08-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I have heard rumors stating nearly 200-225 band members.

BisBison
08-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Ah, I was pretty sure we had overlapped. I will not make it up for the Old Star Band. To bad the band isn't coming to Ames!

Graduation is a good thing now and then...might want to look into it :p

:confused: :confused: I thought the band WAS going to Ames. Maybe not though. I'll be at the Old Star Band reunion at Homecoming this year. Great to see all the progress the band has made lately.

mebisonII
08-13-2009, 12:59 PM
:confused: :confused: I thought the band WAS going to Ames. Maybe not though. I'll be at the Old Star Band reunion at Homecoming this year. Great to see all the progress the band has made lately.

The schedule on their website doesn't make any mention of the ISU game. Looks like the roadtrip this year is for SDSU.

BigDeal
08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I think the band originally wanted to go to Ames. However, gone are the days when they can rent a bus and a van and get everything down there. It costs a lot of money to move a band of 180+ people 450 miles.

gobison.gsb
08-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Well, without letting too much out of the bag, yes there is another show with PTFS. We WILL be going to SDSU, and unfortunetly will NOT be going to ISU unless some donor decides to donate about $20-30,000 for us to go.

I can say that the shows will pick up right where we left off from last year-aka good. And, the numbers are probably gonna be around 180-190. (an increase from 160 last year)

mebisonII
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, without letting too much out of the bag, yes there is another show with PTFS. We WILL be going to SDSU, and unfortunetly will NOT be going to ISU unless some donor decides to donate about $20-30,000 for us to go.

I can say that the shows will pick up right where we left off from last year-aka good. And, the numbers are probably gonna be around 180-190. (an increase from 160 last year)

Awesome, thanks for the info!

180-190, 4 years ago who would have thought you'd have that kind of numbers...

Gully
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
That's great. I enjoy the marching band and it's nice to see it getting back to strength. Any idea how big SDSUs band is? They are awesome, maybe ours will be that good soon.

TbonZach
08-16-2009, 05:06 PM
TAny idea how big SDSUs band is? They are awesome, maybe ours will be that good soon.

[semi-rant]

In the past few years when I've seen them, I didn't think that they weren't the greatest. Yes they were good, and yes they were big. But I think a lot of people out there (not all, but a lot) think that big=good. That's not always true.

[end rant]

I'm not trying to cut you or anyone else down, Gully. As a band member I'm just trying to dispel some myths and defend my turf (pun definitely intended).

Oh, and I think the GSMB will be up to par with them in the next year or two. At least in musical ability.

mebisonII
08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
[semi-rant]

In the past few years when I've seen them, I didn't think that they weren't the greatest. Yes they were good, and yes they were big. But I think a lot of people out there (not all, but a lot) think that big=good. That's not always true.

[end rant]

I'm not trying to cut you or anyone else down, Gully. As a band member I'm just trying to dispel some myths and defend my turf (pun definitely intended).

Oh, and I think the GSMB will be up to par with them in the next year or two. At least in musical ability.

SDSU is a good band, and the size is awesome and impressive and worth being jealous of. But musically and fundamentally TbonZach is right...not really that much ahead of GSMB. The best band I've personally seen is the small contingent UC Davis sent up a few years ago. That 30-40 person group put out more sound than the NDSU and SDSU bands could have mustered together.

From what I understand they regularly win marching competitions for the entire region out there. A lofty goal, but putting out that quality of band would be outstanding.

I'd love to have the chance to see some of the southern bands some day too.

Gully
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
[semi-rant]

[end rant]

No offense taken. I'm not musically inclined and probably don't appreciate the finer points of the musical ability. What I'm getting at is when the SDSU band has played in the FFD, you know it. I can sometimes hardly hear the GSMB. So to me bigger does equal better, it's all in the ears of the listner, I guess. I'm glad you're getting more support and growing, it's a nice part of the college game day atmosphere.

Tatanka
08-16-2009, 07:26 PM
The best band I've personally seen is the small contingent UC Davis sent up a few years ago. That 30-40 person group put out more sound than the NDSU and SDSU bands could have mustered together.

From what I understand they regularly win marching competitions for the entire region out there. A lofty goal, but putting out that quality of band would be outstanding.

I'd love to have the chance to see some of the southern bands some day too.

This !

TheBisonator
08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Optimal number of members in a marching band: 210

(Just my personal opinion. Your preference may vary.)

Mr. Burgundy
08-16-2009, 11:09 PM
With all due respect....and I am not a music guy....but the SDSU band is bigger, better, faster, stronger.....They actually play some different music. They go top 40 on it, and we play the same 6 songs...Period.

Let me guess...."it is expensive to get new music." Yeah, we have discussed this in the past. I think the Band is still D2...and I told several of the members this over some beers last year at UNI.....I think they agreed and wished they had the opportunity to play some better/newer music.

I absolutely HATE a slow halftime song. That is why the Post Tramatic Funk Syndrome was so great last year. It shook it up a bit.

I think the NDSU band is as talented as any, and they rocked at the Metrodome...that was the best I have ever heard them. Flame away, I just think that some changes need to be made.

tjbison
08-16-2009, 11:22 PM
With all due respect....and I am not a music guy....but the SDSU band is bigger, better, faster, stronger.....They actually play some different music. They go top 40 on it, and we play the same 6 songs...Period.

Let me guess...."it is expensive to get new music." Yeah, we have discussed this in the past. I think the Band is still D2...and I told several of the members this over some beers last year at UNI.....I think they agreed and wished they had the opportunity to play some better/newer music.

I absolutely HATE a slow halftime song. That is why the Post Tramatic Funk Syndrome was so great last year. It shook it up a bit.

I think the NDSU band is as talented as any, and they rocked at the Metrodome...that was the best I have ever heard them. Flame away, I just think that some changes need to be made.

I couldn't agree more about the music!

TbonZach
08-17-2009, 02:20 AM
I couldn't agree more about the music!

Nor could I. We will have some new songs that we play in the stands - a few people and I wrote out a bunch of stuff. Don't know how much will get used, however.

And the halftime charts should be pretty good, too.

Bisonfan1
08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I hope the band makes an appearance through the tailgate again this year every game!!! We all enjoyed it and added to the "big time tailgating atmosphere" With the new implementation of keeping the fire lanes totally open, it should make things much easier for the band to stroll through. (maybe thats why this was implemented ?) Would also like to see coach make a quick cruise through the lot on the golf cart, got everyone pumped up.

TbonZach
08-18-2009, 03:48 AM
I hope the band makes an appearance through the tailgate again this year every game!!!

From what I understand there will be a group playing there every game.

roadwarrior
08-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Practice has begun....

mebisonII
08-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Practice has begun....

Got relatives and a former teacher's daughter playing in it this year, I guess. I'll be looking forward to the first reviews!

cbline
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Middle school kids are banging on drums outside my office today (the 17th). Can't wait to hear the drums as the GSMB hits the field on Saturday night!!

TbonZach
09-20-2009, 03:42 AM
Here's a video of "Thriller" dance that we did tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfFBH87RvFk

scheelsguy
09-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Another good one tonight guy's! Love to see a band that looks like they are actually having fun.

99Bison
09-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Another good one tonight guy's! Love to see a band that looks like they are actually having fun.

Indeed!!!!

56BISON73
09-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Great show!!!!!

spelunker64
09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Nice dance moves too.

BigBison
09-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Great show last night band. Keep it up.

roadwarrior
09-21-2009, 12:13 AM
When they spelled out "NDSU" facing the east stands, I thought that they were going to bring back where they reverse it to the west crowd midway through the song. Guess not.

I am not sure this has happened since we were at Dacotah Field. The south stands (including the student section) was the last side to see it spelled towards them. It always resulted in a loud cheer when they did that.

BisBison
09-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Great show :nod: :nod: esp. for a first game. Cool to see new stuff every game. I think the crowd is finally getting it that they should stay and watch, it's a great addition to the D-I college football atmosphere.

spelunker64
09-21-2009, 03:41 AM
When they spelled out "NDSU" facing the east stands, I thought that they were going to bring back where they reverse it to the west crowd midway through the song. Guess not.

I am not sure this has happened since we were at Dacotah Field. The south stands (including the student section) was the last side to see it spelled towards them. It always resulted in a loud cheer when they did that.

We only got to see QUEEN spelled out on the west si-eeed

BigBison
09-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Anyone else notice the new band run on. I like it much better than years before, I like the turn and face the student section. Makes the band look bigger too. For some reason the band sounded alot louder that last year.

also the new video was cool.

TbonZach
09-21-2009, 04:31 AM

We only got to see QUEEN spelled out on the west si-eeed

We also spelled out "Bison" for the west side.

BisBison
09-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Anyone else notice the new band run on. I like it much better than years before, I like the turn and face the student section. Makes the band look bigger too. For some reason the band sounded alot louder that last year.

also the new video was cool.

It sounded louder because it IS louder. Playing to both sides of the field helps, and 20 extra people certainly can't hurt either. They're getting a lot more mature sound already than last year, I'm sure that has something to do with more returning members than before. I think last year's band had lots of freshmen.

Tatanka
09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Band was EXCELLENT. Keep up the good work! :nod:

Bisonfan1
09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Great job band, nice to see the mini band in the tailgate lot, you didnt play in our area, but you got some cheers when you marched by, still cool - D1 caliber atmosphere. Keep up the good work, doubt there will be any more band bashing threads, you guys have gotten real good.

roadwarrior
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I liked how the band started the pre-game at the south end!

G-city Bison Fan
09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
So a little off topic, but when we were down in Iowa we stayed the rest of the weekend in Iowa City and when we went out Friday night it became apparent that their band stops at random bars on Friday nights before Saturday home games and gets everyone at the bars fired up.

Thought it was an interesting idea.

roadwarrior
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
The Wyoming band did the same thing in Laramie the night before the game.

cbline
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Here's another positive review for the GSMB on Saturday!! High energy entrance, great halftime show. Am looking forward to seeing them at Homecoming. The two week prep time could be a good time to really jazz it up for the 3rd.

Hammersmith
09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
So a little off topic, but when we were down in Iowa we stayed the rest of the weekend in Iowa City and when we went out Friday night it became apparent that their band stops at random bars on Friday nights before Saturday home games and gets everyone at the bars fired up.

The GSMB did something like that for about 2 years back in the 90's. It didn't take off then, but it might be worth another look now. It's a factor of band size: if the band is not large enough, you can't count on all the parts being covered all the time. We had enough back then, and they have enough now, but the band was too small in the intervening years to make it work.

Since this is the band thread, I have to add my little complaint to something non-GSMB related. For decades, the Gold Star name has been attached to two groups: the GSMB and the GS Concert Band. As of this year, the GSCB has been renamed the Wind Symphony and the GS name now belongs solely to the GSMB. I've known about this for a couple months(since the Alumni Band newsletter came out this summer), but I hadn't yet decided how I felt about it. I don't like it. Some traditions are as useless as an appendix, but some deserve to be kept. I think this was one of the latter. It doesn't help that wind symphony is the dumbest of all the possible choices(IMO). I wonder if this is about Olfert not liking the concert band name(a lot of band directors who come from orchestra roots don't like the connotations of the term concert band) or if this is a sign that the music dept faculty/admin as a whole is trying to divorce itself from the GSMB after Chapman stepped in and told them to get with the program(according to rumor). Whatever the case, a bit of NDSU band tradition just died, and with a whimper at that.

mebisonII
09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
You probably already knew this, but originally the "Wind Ensemble" was technically a separate band from the concert band. It was started ~2002ish as a way to keep people playing concert music during marching season (before that, the concert band did not start until marching season was over). I think it rehearsed in the evenings and was a little smaller group. I assume it didn't exist in spring semesters, but don't remember for sure.

As for the GSCB name ending, at first I thought "Its just a name, who cares." But after thinking about it a little more, I rather agree with you. If they gave it some other, more specific name, I probably wouldn't care, but Wind Ensemble is rather generic and lame.

I haven't had a chance to look at the GSMB video from the first game, but I'm glad to hear everyone say they are off to a good start!

Hammersmith
09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
You probably already knew this, but originally the "Wind Ensemble" was technically a separate band from the concert band. It was started ~2002ish as a way to keep people playing concert music during marching season (before that, the concert band did not start until marching season was over). I think it rehearsed in the evenings and was a little smaller group. I assume it didn't exist in spring semesters, but don't remember for sure.

As for the GSCB name ending, at first I thought "Its just a name, who cares." But after thinking about it a little more, I rather agree with you. If they gave it some other, more specific name, I probably wouldn't care, but Wind Ensemble is rather generic and lame.

I haven't had a chance to look at the GSMB video from the first game, but I'm glad to hear everyone say they are off to a good start!

It's kind of funny; I proposed the wind ensemble idea to Olfert in the fall of 2000(I think). He shot it down pretty hard. I graduated in the spring of 2002, and that fall the official wind ensemble started. At the time, I scratched my head a little and had a good laugh. I seriously doubt it was my idea that started anything, but the timing was funny to me,

For those that don't know, there are several terms for bands. Almost all can be used interchangeably, but one or two can have specific meanings. Concert band is the most traditional, but it got a bad rep from huge college bands in the early 20th century who thought loud = good and from small community bands where the most important thing was that everyone have a good time. In an attempt to add a little dignity to the name, many band directors appropriated a term from the orchestra world and started calling their groups symphonic bands. In the 50's, a college band director in NY state created a slightly new type of band and called it a wind ensemble. Technically, a wind ensemble differs from a concert band(a WE should have no more than 40 wind players + percussion), but some band directors liked the name and slapped it on their existing bands of 50 to a 100 or more players. In the 60's and 70's, an attempt was made to create a generic term that could cover all the different types and names of bands. The name chosen was wind band. This helped to create the final major name: the wind symphony(another attempt to associate the band with the orchestra).

I don't know what's become of the NDSU Wind Ensemble, but I hope it continues. If it's run as a smaller group(35-40) of the best players playing the best literature, then it's something NDSU needs; preferably year round. From what I understand, the GSCB -> WS name change is just that; a name change. Maybe Zach or one of the other current members can fill us in, but I think the GSMB and the WE run concurrently at the beginning of the semester. Then, when the football season ends, the two groups dissolve and the WS and University Band(the former Varsity Band - also renamed) are formed.

TbonZach
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know what's become of the NDSU Wind Ensemble, but I hope it continues. If it's run as a smaller group(35-40) of the best players playing the best literature, then it's something NDSU needs; preferably year round. From what I understand, the GSCB -> WS name change is just that; a name change. Maybe Zach or one of the other current members can fill us in, but I think the GSMB and the WE run concurrently at the beginning of the semester. Then, when the football season ends, the two groups dissolve and the WS and University Band(the former Varsity Band - also renamed) are formed.

That is correct. Marching band and wind ensemble start right away in the fall, then they break into wind symphony and university band in the spring.

And I agree with you and mebison. Part of the Gold Star Band history and tradition has died; there is some progress that the GSB doesn't need. Symphony is a good name for a music work - not an ensemble.

VanClubPres
09-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Well done to all GSMB. That was prob the loudest I have heard and we are near the summit of the mt peak called section 21. Also loved the thriller dance!!!! that was great.

Bisonfan1
09-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Well done to all GSMB. That was prob the loudest I have heard and we are near the summit of the mt peak called section 21. Also loved the thriller dance!!!! that was great.

SECTION 21 (1) BETTER THAN SECTION 20 !!! :D

mebisonII
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Here's a video of "Thriller" dance that we did tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfFBH87RvFk

Finally got around to watching this, that is hilarious! Hope the whole show gets put up on the GSMB channel at some point.

TbonZach
09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Finally got around to watching this, that is hilarious! Hope the whole show gets put up on the GSMB channel at some point.

You're wish is my command. Actually, I didn't put these up. They're fan videos of the majority of the performances (pre-game/halftime).

http://goldstarband.org/marchingband/media/video.htm

chuckles
09-24-2009, 03:31 AM
I like that new 'run on' approach as they take the field!

sambini
09-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Great job Band++++++++++++

DjKyRo
09-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the accolades guys, we aim to please! :D

For realz, any criticisms you have, post them up if you haven't already - the administration of the band is very receptive to this sort of stuff and they've made changes based on these sorts of things before. If you see something whack or know some other people like/dislike something...let us know!

and yeah, totally stoked for basketball season. We're totally going to inadvertently tear down the bleachers when Section I's rickety bleachers collapse under the weight of the band.

Tatanka
09-26-2009, 03:23 PM

For realz, any criticisms you have, post them up if you haven't already - the administration of the band is very receptive to this sort of stuff and they've made changes based on these sorts of things before. If you see something whack or know some other people like/dislike something...let us know!

and yeah, totally stoked for basketball season. We're totally going to inadvertently tear down the bleachers when Section I's rickety bleachers collapse under the weight of the band.

glad to hear it. mrs. tatanka was just commenting last night at vb that she hopes to see that kind of band at the bb games!

BigBison
10-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Whats the band got planed for this Saturday?

BigDeal
10-02-2009, 06:44 AM

http://homedir-a.libsyn.com/podcasts/63b35e1e17476dbbe8faa9ba4933558b/4ac5a1ad/nobodies/images/Pinocchio_02.gif

TbonZach
10-02-2009, 02:25 PM

http://homedir-a.libsyn.com/podcasts/63b35e1e17476dbbe8faa9ba4933558b/4ac5a1ad/nobodies/images/Pinocchio_02.gif

The current administration, that is. :blush:

BigDeal
10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
You know I have nothing but love for you guys... even prior to 2008.

sambini
10-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Great job Band++++++++

Thunder_Struck
10-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Great to see the numbers increasing for the Band. Nice work!

gobison.gsb
10-05-2009, 07:28 PM

The Wyoming band did the same thing in Laramie the night before the game.

This is an interesting idea. I really think it could be a cool thing to do in fargo, and to pump not only NDSU fans, but the city too. My only question is where to do it? The turf is logical because of how close it is, although we'd have to play in the parking lot. Would we go downtown? On broadway? How would it work?
I am just curious about this idea, does anyone have suggestions about where to go and what to do? What did Iowa and Wyoming's Bands do?

roadwarrior
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Obviously you only take a small group. Say 15-20. You cannot just play in a parking lot, you have to go into the bars. The Turf has as much room inside as the place had in Laramie.

I would suggest BWW north, Labbys, Turf, Chubs, OB Sports Zone, Sports, Fort Noks, Rooters and Dempseys if you could handle that many! Maybe the downtown bars if you do it on a friday night. Maybe the northside bars just before the game for those non-tailgater types.

The Wyoming band played a couple of quick songs and moved onto the next bar.

gobison.gsb
10-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Obviously you only take a small group. Say 15-20. You cannot just play in a parking lot, you have to go into the bars. The Turf has as much room inside as the place had in Laramie.

I would suggest BWW north, Labbys, Turf, Chubs, OB Sports Zone, Sports, Fort Noks, Rooters and Dempseys if you could handle that many!

The Wyoming band played a couple of quick songs and moved onto the next bar.

It is a very cool idea. Maybe we can implement it into future games...:)

Hammersmith
10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Who says there can only be one band? Try it one year. If it works(and the band keeps getting bigger) create two or three mini-bands to hit the different bars and restaurants. Even if each mini-band has 20 people, that's still only about a third of the whole.

go.band
10-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Hey guys, just thought I should ask how we compare to the infamous SDSU band this year. Check out the two different pregames...

SDSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAwhsWcz10

NDSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HTVsemg_eA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dm4aiTW9P0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxfwr68VS_c

BigBison
10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey guys, just thought I should ask how we compare to the infamous SDSU band this year. Check out the two different pregames...

That was pathetic!! All they got on the NDSU band is size! Look at the Minnesota band(or any Big Ten Band); that is something to aspire to. Why the hell do we have a wrose record than THAT!

G-city Bison Fan
10-07-2009, 03:19 PM
It is a very cool idea. Maybe we can implement it into future games...:)

Yeah I think it would be a cool thing...hit start at the turf and chubs and hit a few on broadway.

Wouldn't be that hard I wouldnt think, but the real question is support I guess. Iowa City the night before gameday is yellow and black, and I would hope that there would be enough support in Fargo.

Figured it would be worth a shot though, it is kinda cool.

DjKyRo
10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah I think it would be a cool thing...hit start at the turf and chubs and hit a few on broadway.

Wouldn't be that hard I wouldnt think, but the real question is support I guess. Iowa City the night before gameday is yellow and black, and I would hope that there would be enough support in Fargo.

We already do the miniband thing on regular gamedays (of which there really has been only one thus far) hitting the pavilion in front of the Dome, the tailgaters, and the PResident's Reception. Working a night-before ritual into the mix wouldn't be too big of a stretch I don't think, but I can see how it might be difficult to get 60-70 college students to commit to a program like that on a Friday night.

In anye vent, it's most def something to look in to.

mebisonII
10-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Support both in the bars and in the band. When I was in, I wouldn't have been too fond of going to do this, but there were many more-enthusiastic members of the band than me :hide: And, you'd only need 20% of the band, I suppose.

gobison.gsb
10-07-2009, 05:16 PM
That was pathetic!! All they got on the NDSU band is size! Look at the Minnesota band(or any Big Ten Band); that is something to aspire to. Why the hell do we have a wrose record than THAT!

Well, from what I hear, they're not even that much bigger than us now. We're right around 190 this year. They're about 290 ---which is down from the rumored 440 in 2008 when they went to the rose bowl.

I'm very proud of our pregame and the work we've put into the halftime shows.

Ironically we may become (pre 2008) Minnesota, a cool, large band with an impressive pregame accompanying a less than interesting team...:blush:

G-city Bison Fan
10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
We already do the miniband thing on regular gamedays (of which there really has been only one thus far) hitting the pavilion in front of the Dome, the tailgaters, and the PResident's Reception. Working a night-before ritual into the mix wouldn't be too big of a stretch I don't think, but I can see how it might be difficult to get 60-70 college students to commit to a program like that on a Friday night.

In anye vent, it's most def something to look in to.

Oh absolutely, and I think everyone loves it at the pavilion and tailgating and such. And I understand getting kids to go out Friday night and play the night before game day could be a bit difficult, totally understood.

You just have to work out a deal with the bar owners to make it worth your while ;)

BigBison
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Ironically we may become (pre 2008) Minnesota, a cool, large band with an impressive pregame accompanying a less than interesting team...:blush:

Oh god I hope not!!!! Ok become look at Ohio State, Script OHIO!

DjKyRo
10-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Oh god I hope not!!!! Ok become look at Ohio State, Script OHIO!

Scripting "North Dakota" could be a bit tricky..we'd need a few more members. ;)

56BISON73
10-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Scripting "North Dakota" could be a bit tricky..we'd need a few more members. ;)

Or you could just go with NDSU. Just a thought:D

TbonZach
10-08-2009, 04:13 AM
Or you could just go with NDSU. Just a thought:D

But that would make sense. We're not about that in the GSMB.

BlueBisonRock
10-08-2009, 06:55 AM
But that would make sense. We're not about that in the GSMB.

Then try Bison in a fancy script. That gives you an i that an aspiring tuba player could DOT!

DjKyRo
10-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Then try Bison in a fancy script. That gives you an i that an aspiring tuba player could DOT!

DIBS.

(etc.)

TbonZach
10-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Here's hoping the band curse stays broken tomorrow. If it does, it'll be the longest streak of consecutive years that it's stayed away since the ~70's - two.

BigDeal
10-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Here's hoping the band curse stays broken tomorrow. If it does, it'll be the longest streak of consecutive years that it's stayed away since the ~70's - two.

Dear band,

Please sit on the SDSU side. Maybe it will confuse the players and they'll win.

Hugs and kisses,
BigDeal

DORMIE
10-17-2009, 10:08 PM
FYO, we have a martching band and SDSU has a standing band. There are so damn many of them that they take up the whole field and can't move. I just love how the GSMB has progresed.

stevdock
10-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Please take this as a compliment instead of a slam. During halftime of the ISU game I actually said "Before too much longer the way things are going, the band is going to be the best part of the game." Sad state of affairs for the football team, but the band has just improved that much that it could happen sometime very soon. My aunt and uncle (ex marching band members) are very proud of what the band has become since they were in it 20+ years ago.

BigDeal
10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
A quote from JackJD on sdsufans.com...

"It was a satisfying win. I'll say this about the Bison: I thought their band did a great job. (I'm serious, their band was good. Our Pride was a little better but the Gold Star Band puts nearly all other bands to shame.)"

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8854&page=11

Nice compliment from a tough band crowd to please.

TbonZach
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
There were some good complements that we got yesterday from the SDSU fans. There were, however, a lot of of fans who were not so nice.

Band wise it was a fun game. Other than people losing body parts due to frostbite, that is. Man it was cold!

BigDeal
10-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Bad like Montana State bad? (weather and fans)

TbonZach
10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Montana was worse. At SDSU we were only berated by the fans going to/coming from the field. And it wasn't raining last night.

But I will say their (Montana and SDSU) band members were top notch. That's one of the things I've always enjoyed about going to away games. No matter where I've gone and how much I hated the other team, I've known that there would be no bad blood between the bands.

DjKyRo
10-19-2009, 01:34 AM
But I will say their (Montana and SDSU) band members were top notch. That's one of the things I've always enjoyed about going to away games. No matter where I've gone and how much I hated the other team, I've known that there would be no bad blood between the bands.

Very true. Their band was all thumbs up and smiles as we were coming off, and I tried to return the sentiment as much as I could. high-fived a few sousa players, had a footrace with one of them back to the buses, and they hooked us up with much-needed snacks. Classy bunch of guys, and man did they sound good.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments, they don't go unappreciated! :)

VanClubPres
10-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Very true. Their band was all thumbs up and smiles as we were coming off, and I tried to return the sentiment as much as I could. high-fived a few sousa players, had a footrace with one of them back to the buses, and they hooked us up with much-needed snacks. Classy bunch of guys, and man did they sound good.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments, they don't go unappreciated! :)

You guys rock, home and away.

You are also our ambassadors of good will. Keep up the nicityes (that is not a word) so that we always look good no matter how much we (regular fans) try to "remind the other team how much not good they are"

TbonZach
10-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Here's a pretty good article in the Spectrum about the GSMB game-day experience, written by current member Jordan Willi.

http://ndsuspectrum.com/ae/1439-look-into-the-life-of-a-gold-star-marching-band-member

mebisonII
10-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Here's a pretty good article in the Spectrum about the GSMB game-day experience, written by current member Jordan Willi.

http://ndsuspectrum.com/ae/1439-look-into-the-life-of-a-gold-star-marching-band-member

*slaps self out of nostaglia*

Good article. Hits all the main points:

Walking around in your uniform by yourself is really odd. If you see a band member doing that, give them a sincere 'Go band!' for me!

That first march-over is a doosey.

The game performances are intense and then over before you know it.

Other random snapshots:

The playing and dancing in the stands is fun, but exhausting. The "old man sit" after the final song is much needed (although Jordan is probably too young to qualify!).

The "Songs of the gridiron" is probably even more shocking to rooks than the marchover.

Postgame pizza buffet, pop, and beer at Coaches (or where-ever they go now) was always fun.

BigDeal
10-24-2009, 03:33 AM
That first march-over is a doosey.

Oh yeah, it's also a tradition that the two most out of shape people in the band pass out during the first march over. Luckily, I was always the third most out of shape person.

roadwarrior
10-24-2009, 04:21 AM
WDAY put in a pretty good plug for the band this afternoon on their sports talk show. They had the music from one of last year's shows for their intro.

TbonZach
10-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Oh yeah, it's also a tradition that the two most out of shape people in the band pass out during the first march over. Luckily, I was always the third most out of shape person.

I was/am one of the most out of shape people. You'd think I'd know better having been in the band for so long.

Before the first march over I was thinking, "I can do this. It's not that bad." Then I remembered that I was in the drum line the past two years (all they do is march, no extraneous movements). And of course I was part of the mini band that played for the tailgaters. At the end I was thinking, "I'M GOING TO DIE!"

TbonZach
10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Here's an article in today's Forum about the GSMB.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/257394/

sambini
10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Great show yesterday at halftime GSMB++++