PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Blizzard Game vs Auggie - Up & Running (Roll Call)

CaBisonFan
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I've had to create another YouTube website because they only allow 9 videos to be up at one time. There's a way around it, but it was just easier to make another channel for now.

You have 'got' to watch this. It's taken from the Solomonson Show prior to the UND game in 1986. I'll have the UND demolit....ah....game... up within a few days.

How about a roll call? Who was at this blizzard game?

http://www.youtube.com/user/BisonTradition1?feature=moby

BisonInTexas
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Fantastic! This game is the essence of NDSU football. I was there and remember that the key to the game was the running backs switching to cleats at halftime from the turf shoes. This gave them the initial burst straight ahead to score those long TDs. I also remember the crowd cheering the announcement of the wind chill in the second half.

Thanks for posting this. My Texas friends should get a kick out of this.

Craig

roadwarrior
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Of course, I was there!

Everyone that was there, was on the north side.

tony
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Wow, great video - brings back some outstanding memories. In fact, I think that's my favorite video of them all!

Btw, road, I was there on the south side. That might be us in the little group standing on the left side when they pan the crowd... then again, we might not have shown up yet since the game hadn't started and we were having some serious trouble getting to the game. I'll have to send this link to my buddies and see if they recognize any of their cold-weather gear. Several guys from Mandan High were there and I can vouch for two from Carrington.

If we ever get an outdoor stadium again, remember this: You are only cold until half-time.

HandoEX
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Holy smokes that was a great vid! Now THAT'S football the way it is meant to be played!

GOB1SON
08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Awesome, just awesome.

I remember that game well. Man was it cold!

I love the end zone celebration in the snow bank.

Great Job Ca!

heckler
08-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I was only a year old when this game happened but the game looked awesome.

IzzyFlexion
08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I was on the sidelines and not being able to see people on the opposite sidelides at different times during the game was just amazing.

UncleBuck
08-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I had moved away when that game was played. But it was fun to watch the video. But I had to go sit outside in the warm July sun when it was done.

CaBisonFan
08-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Let this video stand as one of my arguments for 'planning' to build an outdoor stadium within the next 10-15 years. Build the BB arena...then get on with the plans. The dome is nice...really 'nice.'

CaBisonFan
08-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Fantastic! This game is the essence of NDSU football. I was there and remember that the key to the game was the running backs switching to cleats at halftime from the turf shoes. This gave them the initial burst straight ahead to score those long TDs. I also remember the crowd cheering the announcement of the wind chill in the second half.

Thanks for posting this. My Texas friends should get a kick out of this.

Craig

I agree with your statement about the essence of NDSU football.

You should tell your Texas buddies that this was the first game of the year. :D

HerdBot
08-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Let this video stand as one of my arguments for 'planning' to build an outdoor stadium within the next 10-15 years. Build the BB arena...then get on with the plans. The dome is nice...really 'nice.'

I'd agree with you but I don't think a few thousand fans in the seats will pay the bills or fund D1 football. It's a fact that most people don't like to watch football in a blizzard. If we had the dome, there would have been a good 10,000 fans.

SamsRams
08-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Man do I remember this game!!! I thought it was a good idea to work for the concession stand and sell hot chocolate in the stands as a vendor. Problem was by the time you got to the stands, it was cold chocolate :)

Thanks for the video!!

sambini
08-05-2009, 03:55 AM
I remember drinking a lot of schnapps during that game.

KC Bison
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
If we ever go outdoors again, I could see competing schools using a video like this against us for recruits from the south.

CaBisonFan
08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd agree with you but I don't think a few thousand fans in the seats will pay the bills or fund D1 football. It's a fact that most people don't like to watch football in a blizzard. If we had the dome, there would have been a good 10,000 fans.

Montana doesn't have trouble filling their 25,000 seats. They have an environment that you could cut with a knife. Been there. The U of M finally figured it out. The baggie didn't help their attendance a whole lot. Winning programs attract fans.

CaBisonFan
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
If we ever go outdoors again, I could see competing schools using a video like this against us for recruits from the south.

Wishful thinking....;)

BlueBisonRock
08-05-2009, 07:15 PM

I loved playing in the snow and in the rain. Some say the elements even out the playing field. I thought they brought out the primal beast in the players who wanted to be there.

CaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 01:54 AM
I loved playing in the snow and in the rain. Some say the elements even out the playing field. I thought they brought out the primal beast in the players who wanted to be there.

Same here. The Auggie game showed the more physical team winning...and the team with more desire (primal beast). Good one.

sambini
08-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks CA++++

imabison
08-06-2009, 03:16 AM
I've had to create another YouTube website because they only allow 9 videos to be up at one time. There's a way around it, but it was just easier to make another channel for now.

You have 'got' to watch this. It's taken from the Solomonson Show prior to the UND game in 1986. I'll have the UND demolit....ah....game... up within a few days.

How about a roll call? Who was at this blizzard game?

http://www.youtube.com/user/BisonTradition1?feature=moby

I was there for the first 3 quarters and then went to work. Great time!!

North Side
08-06-2009, 03:30 AM
I wasn't even born for this game but its a great history lesson for me to actually see how NDSU football was played back then. Thanks so much CA!

HerdBot
08-06-2009, 04:33 AM
Montana doesn't have trouble filling their 25,000 seats. They have an environment that you could cut with a knife. Been there. The U of M finally figured it out. The baggie didn't help their attendance a whole lot. Winning programs attract fans.

Your not seriously comparing a Montana winter to a North Dakota winter, are you? (That's what California heat will do to a guy ;)

Montana played a playoff game on Dec 6th 2008 The weather at a noon kickoff:

Temperature: 36 Wind: Calm Weather: Partly Cloudy
That was at noon kickoff. It was probably closer to 40.

What was Fargo's weather on Dec 6th 2008?
Blizzard. Air temp high in the single digits. Winds approaching 25 mph creating dangerous windchills.
http://community-weather.weatherbug.com/community/weather-videos/weathercasts-video.html?source_id=8217&video_type=7&content_sort_type=0&content_tag=&content_userid=-1&show_featured=False

4mcruenomore
08-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Your not seriously comparing a Montana winter to a North Dakota winter, are you? (That's what California heat will do to a guy ;)

Blizzard. Air temp high in the single digits. Winds approaching 25 mph creating dangerous windchills.
http://community-weather.weatherbug.com/community/weather-videos/weathercasts-video.html?source_id=8217&video_type=7&content_sort_type=0&content_tag=&content_userid=-1&show_featured=False

So you are saying that a power running game with a Huge fullback from western ND and a runningback from Fargo would have Dominated? Good point. All the more reason to be outside

CaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 06:16 AM

Gabe,

Haven't there been an awful lot of 40-50 degree days in the winter over the past decade in North Dakota? I'm aware of the ups and downs of the weather in Montana. Lived in Great Falls. It can be 20 below one day, 2 ft. of snow, and 60 the next day and all of the snow goes away.

I was at a Griz game in October in 1996. We froze our asses off. The wind came through the open end of the stadium. It was bitterly cold.

25,000 people were there. They were going crazy over a 'nothing' game. The tailgating was unbelievable. You could cut the smell of food, beer, pot, and God knows what else, with a knife. I've been to a LOT of FBS stadiums. Texas, Arizona State, Florida State, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Syracuse, Oklahoma State, Colorado, UCLA, and Nebraska. Montana's atmosphere rivals any of those.

Damn cold up there for many games. People don't care. They come to watch the Griz for the right reasons. Comfort is not one of the reasons. :smh:

CA

CaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 06:24 AM
I wasn't even born for this game but its a great history lesson for me to actually see how NDSU football was played back then. Thanks so much CA!

It was a different kind of game. Run first...and when the defense crept up with 8 or 9 guys...'over the top.' Easy pickings. The QB's of that era had the option to throw that pass during most plays. The QB had to be very smart and quick. The dynasty was rolling big-time.

It felt something like the 2006-2007 seasons. I consider those teams to have been of championship caliber too. They were just different.

I just want people to appreciate the GREAT tradition and legacy that people left for the current team, and teams to come.

Because of this legacy, when an NDSU recruiter calls someone in the region...they usually listen.

Thanks. The legacy 'will' continue.

MontanaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Your not seriously comparing a Montana winter to a North Dakota winter, are you?

I don't think Mizzoula Montana has ever had a blizzard like Fargo gets in December every year. Maybe CA was thinking the Griz play at Donner pass in CA.

GABE your right again.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I was at the game, and while playing conditions were terrible, (wind, visibility and traction) the actual temperature was not that bad. There have been games played in 70's and 80's that were colder.

Hammerhead
08-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I was there. This was my freshman year and my friend's dad thought we were crazy for heading out just to watch a game. At least he let us borrow the Suburban since neither one of us had our own cars at the time.

CaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think Mizzoula Montana has ever had a blizzard like Fargo gets in December every year. Maybe CA was thinking the Griz play at Donner pass in CA.

GABE your right again.

Sorry....been there twice. Froze my butt off. The winds barrel into the open end of the stadium. About 30-35 degrees....15-20 mile per hour wind. That was mid-October. Brought the band there twice. Horns froze up. Couldn't move the trumpet valves or move the slide on the trombones.

I lived in Great Falls. The weather can be volatile.

Oh yeah...I directed the Great Falls High School Band (in Great Falls) in two snow games that were just below freezing. Those were in late October and early November. Been there. Taught there. Kids froze their butts off. Were you there? 1996 In January we had a 3-4 week cold snap in the 20-30 below area.

The morning practices were colder than a witches.......on the north side of an iceberg. That was in Sept. and Oct.

CaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 05:02 PM

GABE your right again.

My family drove back to Great Falls about the 27th of December one year, and there was about 3 feet of snow on the ground...not drifts...3 actual feet. Colder than hell. Some friends came over with 4 people and dug our doors out so we could get in the house. Next day had a complete white-out. Sorry....been there. Our dog wouldn't go outside, and he was a mean mother.

The weather might be more moderate on the average...but don't tell me it doesn't get cold in the fall...or that extreme weather can't hit in the fall.

Fargo gets a major blizzard every year in December? Really

OK...so part of this thread is me complimenting the stadium at Missoula. Got a problem with that?

IzzyFlexion
08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
OK, this is completely off topic but alarming and noteworthy nonetheless. I talked to my sister yesterday and she said that some folks were reporting an overnight low of 39 degrees near the Canadian border.
NorthernBison......can you confirm from the greater Langdon metro area?

HerdBot
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Gabe,

Haven't there been an awful lot of 40-50 degree days in the winter over the past decade in North Dakota? I'm aware of the ups and downs of the weather in Montana. Lived in Great Falls. It can be 20 below one day, 2 ft. of snow, and 60 the next day and all of the snow goes away.

I was at a Griz game in October in 1996. We froze our asses off. The wind came through the open end of the stadium. It was bitterly cold.

25,000 people were there. They were going crazy over a 'nothing' game. The tailgating was unbelievable. You could cut the smell of food, beer, pot, and God knows what else, with a knife. I've been to a LOT of FBS stadiums. Texas, Arizona State, Florida State, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Syracuse, Oklahoma State, Colorado, UCLA, and Nebraska. Montana's atmosphere rivals any of those.

Damn cold up there for many games. People don't care. They come to watch the Griz for the right reasons. Comfort is not one of the reasons. :smh:

CA

I agree montana can get cold but fargo is a different level of cold in december. Blizzards are the norm and not the exception. Did you see the size of the crowd for the aug game

CaBisonFan
08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I agree montana can get cold but fargo is a different level of cold in december. Blizzards are the norm and not the exception. Did you see the size of the crowd for the aug game

Yeah...I saw the size. That was a shocker. I also saw how the team responded...and how the fans present responded to the game.

KC Bison
08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
CaBisonFan
Thanks for putting the video out there where we all could see it. We had moved 1500 miles away in '85 so I this is a first for me to see this game. Again, thanks alot. BTW, I admit its alot warmer in Kansas City than it is in Fargo in December and I'm pretty pleased about that (go ahead and call me a wimp).

HerdBot
08-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Yeah...I saw the size. That was a shocker. I also saw how the team responded...and how the fans present responded to the game.

Fans responding is cool and we all dig it, but it's not going to pay the bills and fund D1 football. I doubt there was over a few thousand fans at that blizzard game. History proves that NDSU struggled to sell out playoff games at Dakotah Field due to the weather. It was usually in the 3,000 range. Ironically, more fans showed at at McAllen Texas than a regular home playoff game.

I don't want to change the topic but I'm bent on the topic of outdoor football. For most of the season I love it. I went down to Sioux Falls a few years ago and 30 degrees was ok. Fans of outdoor teams always say that "football was meant to be played outdoors." My problem is they are usually people from Boston or New York and their winters are not cold. You can't compare a New York or Boston winter of 45 degrees with no wind to a North Dakota winter of single digits and a raging wind that knocks the temps to dangerous levels. It's not only cold, it's dangerous if your not dressed correctly.

Ever jump in the pool after your in the hot tub? Isn't going from California to Montana the same? :)