PDA

View Full Version : Game by Game Analysis

CaBisonFan
07-26-2009, 07:37 AM
It seems like there are so many unknowns going into this season...more than I can remember for a while. I believe that there is real talent to work with...but I have a sense that it might take half the season, or more, to get all of the cylinders working.

Would a rough outing at Iowa State be such a tragedy? Losing by a couple of touchdowns wouldn't be all bad. Losing badly...could hurt us.

Then comes Sam Houston State. They'll have an attitude...and we saw how athletic they were in Fargo. They want us bad. Tough follow-up to the ISU game.

Wagner...I know nothing about...but I'll assume that we take care of business here.

Southern Illinois on the road. Is this a tough schedule or what? Dale will have the team primed. Could be a last-minute drive that wins it.

(It wouldn't be all bad to be 2-2 at this point.)

Homecoming against Illinois State. It'll happen.

Then UNI...a revenge match with perhaps our most intense rival out of the new teams that we face. Our defense must be stout and extremely aggressive. Ball control is a must. A nearly perfect game in all aspects. One of our quarterbacks must be established as a real leader by this game.

We must treat SDSU as one of our conference games. Bring Bison Pride to Brookings guys. Don't treat it like a rivalry.

Missouri State scares me a little bit. To me...they're a bit of a mystery. If we're playing well by mid-season...we'll take care of business.

Western Illinois deserved to beat us last year. We played as unemotional a game as I've ever seen a Bison team play. A real Bison team goes to WIU and wins a tough game.

Indiana State...if the team has turned the right direction...we blow them out.

Same with Youngstown State...one of our old playoff rivals. If the team attitude is what it should be...revenge will be on the minds of every Bison player.

Summary:

This league is about having a stout defense. It's also about having a competitor at QB. Doesn't have to be great...but a leader that is football smart. This could be an 8-3 season if things fall into place well. With some luck...9-2. It really comes down to whether field leadership develops. Forget about the playoffs folks. Every game on this schedule is a playoff game. If we emphasize any one game too much...we're screwed. Could be 6-5...5-6...4-7. It's all about attitude and leadership. Athleticism is 'not' a problem for us. It's upstairs.

Please feel free to do your own version.

WYOBISONMAN
07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
QB issues.........kicking game........quit dropping passes!

tjbison
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
QB issues.........kicking game........quit dropping passes!

and tackle, had lots of missed tackles last year by guys just lowering their head and ramming guys, need to wrap them up

Bison53
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
WR scare me, unproven I think.
Anything on JUCOs, the kid from NDSCS?

sambini
07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree big question mark here.

tjbison
07-26-2009, 06:07 PM

well hopefully we can use the first three games as good experience for them, afterall with Pacshall, DJ, and Voit hopefully we have a good running attack, to let the new WR's open up, but then again we have to get the ball to them:hide:

Bison53
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Dj maybe can line up outside sometimes?

A1pigskin
07-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Special teams will be extremely important. My concerns are safety, RB, and WR. When a player is drafted to the NFL it's like losing two people in that position.

bisonfan11
08-07-2009, 02:05 AM
9-3 @Iowa St. (L) (0-1)
9-12 @ Sam Houston St. (W) (1-1)
9-19 WAGNER COLLEGE (W) (2-1)
9-26 @Southern Illinois (L) (2-2)
10-3 ILLINOIS STATE (W) (3-2)
10-10 NORTHERN IOWA (L) (3-3)
10-17 @South Dakota St. (W) (4-3)
10-24 MISSOURI STATE (W) (5-3)
10-31 @Western Illinois (L) (5-4)
11-14 @Indiana State (W) (6-4)
11-21 YOUNGSTOWN STATE (W) (7-4)

So my final '09 prediction is 7-4, if the team can come together and player better it is not out of the question that the Bison can be 8-3 or 9-2. But at the same time this team might be 4-7, 5-6 or 6-5. Either way I will be cheering the Bison the whole way.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Special teams will be extremely important. My concerns are safety, RB, and WR. When a player is drafted to the NFL it's like losing two people in that position.

our rbs looked solid in the 1st practice...made nice cuts, hit the holes hard....I am worried about the WR spot... Eaves has good size should be nice there.

bisoneer
08-07-2009, 03:30 AM
The early analysis is a sign a paranoidism, all of the teams we will face have the same questions we do for the most part. An injury here, a lucky bounce there, these are the breaks. "One game at a time" for the players and coaches who should help the players more this year than last as they know the conference and division better now. And as fans, just have fun.

johnson
08-07-2009, 03:42 AM
9-3 @Iowa St. (L) (0-1)
9-12 @ Sam Houston St. (W) (1-1)
9-19 WAGNER COLLEGE (W) (2-1)
9-26 @Southern Illinois (L) (2-2)
10-3 ILLINOIS STATE (W) (3-2)
10-10 NORTHERN IOWA (L) (3-3)
10-17 @South Dakota St. (W) (4-3)
10-24 MISSOURI STATE (W) (5-3)
10-31 @Western Illinois (L) (5-4)
11-14 @Indiana State (W) (6-4)
11-21 YOUNGSTOWN STATE (W) (7-4)

So my final '09 prediction is 7-4, if the team can come together and player better it is not out of the question that the Bison can be 8-3 or 9-2. But at the same time this team might be 4-7, 5-6 or 6-5. Either way I will be cheering the Bison the whole way.

I am going to say that this squad can and will take care of Western Illinois this season. I also believe that Southern Illinois is winnable. I am thinking a 8-3 season would be a great turn around from last year. A 9-2 season and a nice run in the playoffs would be great too. I hope this is possible this year I can't wait to see how this one plays out. Go Bison!!

Purple Jalepeno
08-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I am going to have to disagree with a bit. UNI and SIU don't have the same issues as the other teams in our conference. We and they will be the creme of the crop this year. You guys will be equal to this teams soon but we just seem to reload.

Not trying to start anything. Just voicing an opinion.

4mcruenomore
08-07-2009, 03:50 AM
I am going to have to disagree with a bit. UNI and SIU don't have the same issues as the other teams in our conference. We and they will be the creme of the crop this year. You guys will be equal to this teams soon but we just seem to reload.

Me neither, and UNI has "reloaded" as of late, but what have they ever really done? We have an established history and program, we've stumbled, but some of us feel that we "reload" as well. We'll get there, we've been there. Although small, we have 8 banners hanging to prove it. But welcome to Bisonville, and let's keep the discussions going!

johnson
08-07-2009, 03:59 AM

NDSU knows SIU's coaching staff well. That is the reason I think the SIU game is winnable. There was a whole slough of issues with last years team and they couldn't quite stop us. SIU has a very good chance of winning this game but the history between Lennon and his crew and NDSU is deep enough to make it a winnable game.

pantherhawkrolling
08-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Me neither, and UNI has "reloaded" as of late, but what have they ever really done? We have an established history and program, we've stumbled, but some of us feel that we "reload" as well. We'll get there, we've been there. Although small, we have 8 banners hanging to prove it. But welcome to Bisonville, and let's keep the discussions going!

Well, I wish that we had beaten ASU a few years back (we should have) and we would never have to answer that question again. The answer to your question is that UNI has done most everything except win a championship, which is a very big except. But it's not as if UNI has never accompished anything, we have just not accomplished the most impressive thing. I have to disagree about you having been there. I have gotten into trouble on this board before for saying this, but you simply cannot compare a DII championship with an FCS championship. My good friend won a championship in high school; I don't think he has 'been there' either. But...NDSU is new and has not had a chance at the FCS apple. UNI has had plenty of chances and has never won a national title. We will see what the next decade or so will bring; maybe you guys will win one, maybe we will. I for one have no idea where NDSU's tradition and facilities will bring it in FCS, it really could go either way, which is one reason that NDSU is one of the more interesting teams in FCS right now.

56BISON73
08-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Well, I wish that we had beaten ASU a few years back (we should have) and we would never have to answer that question again. The answer to your question is that UNI has done most everything except win a championship, which is a very big except. But it's not as if UNI has never accompished anything, we have just not accomplished the most impressive thing. I have to disagree about you having been there. I have gotten into trouble on this board before for saying this, but you simply cannot compare a DII championship with an FCS championship. My good friend won a championship in high school; I don't think he has 'been there' either. But...NDSU is new and has not had a chance at the FCS apple. UNI has had plenty of chances and has never won a national title. We will see what the next decade or so will bring; maybe you guys will win one, maybe we will. I for one have no idea where NDSU's tradition and facilities will bring it in FCS, it really could go either way, which is one reason that NDSU is one of the more interesting teams in FCS right now.

High school and D2 are two different levels correct. To compare that is ridiculous.
Even when UNI was in D2 they never won a Championship at that level either But NDSU has numerous NC championships. So for you to hang your hat on on NDSU never being there I find to be rather self serving.
Granted NDSU hasnt won a FCS championship as we have only been eligible one year. But UNI has been eligible for how many years and never won a championship. So UNI hasnt won a championship at ANY level while NDSU has. If UNI in fact had won a championship at the D2 level Iam sure you would have more regard for the accomplishment.

DjKyRo
08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I am thinking a 8-3 season would be a great turn around from last year. A 9-2 season and a nice run in the playoffs would be great too.

11 - 0 wouldn't be too terrible either. :nod::D

CaBisonFan
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Reload the paint sprayer to put another year on the wall?....:cool:

CaBisonFan
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I have gotten into trouble on this board before for saying this, but you simply cannot compare a DII championship with an FCS championship.

Funny...an awful lot of FCS teams used to be in DII when we were cleaning house. For a while there, UNI was one of them.

We beat up on Montana twice in the Camelia Bowl for the national title when UNI was still in DII. Haven't they won the national title in DI-AA once or twice?

Did UNI ever play for the title in the Camelia bowl? For the life of me, I can't remember UNI doing anything big like that in DII.

You have a good program. Until you get the big one...you will remain as a team that is trying to get better. You've had a good time in the conference and several playoff appearances. But appearances can be deceiving. Rings are not. "Precious.......precious."

What year did UNI move up to DI-AA? Did you have 5 years of transition...or did you get a free pass? What's the history of UNI football? How many national titles do you have...at any level? Is there 'one?' Come on...study your history a little and get back to me.

We anxiously await the arrival of UNI in Fargo. Here's a guarantee. You will NOT out-athleticize the Bison. Emotions will be high. 19K+ Bring ear plugs.

pantherhawkrolling
08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
What year did UNI move up to DI-AA? Did you have 5 years of transition...or did you get a free pass? What's the history of UNI football? How many national titles do you have...at any level? Is there 'one?' Come on...study your history a little and get back to me.

QUOTE]

You know, I conceded about every one of those points in my post. NDSU has a far better history with regard to DII football. But we are at a higher level now, and thank goodness for that. I will say that UNI was not a power at all when it moved up, it simply had a solid tradition and history. UNI became a power while in D I-AA; during the same time it changed from a small local teachers college to fairly large regional university. So UNI's achievements as a member of I-AA include a real growth in the program's long-term stature.

We'll see what happens in the game, it should be a lot of fun, particularly in the week leading up to it. Honestly, I think it is way too early for predicitions on that one. I only know that the result will be very important for both teams.

Scooter1
08-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Here is the season as I see it. First off, the addition of Gatlin and Belmont are going to have a huge impact on this defense. Belmont is a leader and Gatlin will give us depth. With the signing of Perez and Mohler's status cleared up, the Bison should have more options than last season. It's hard to run an offense when you are trying to protect the only QB that you have. I think this is the breakout year for DJ McNorton. Pat is going to impress, but DJ...something inside tells me we will be happy when this kid gets on the field.

9-3 @Iowa St. (L) (0-1) Iowa St by 6
I don't think we will be ready to go. My heart wants me to pick the Bison, but I can't. We need a few turnovers in this one. The outcome of this game will rest on one man, Scott Fuchs. OK , the pressure is on, let's get that OL ready to go for game one. If we can run the ball against Iowa St, NDSU will be in this one.

9-12 @ Sam Houston St. (W) (1-1) NDSU by 13
SHSU is picked to finish in the bottom of their conference. MVC is a better conference. We all had fun giving Rhett crap before last game we played. There is a reason why he was drafted in the NFL. Our DL will be to much for them.

9-19 WAGNER COLLEGE (W) (2-1) NDSU by 30
Blow out.

9-26 @Southern Illinois (W) (3-1) NDSU by 7
Not a big fan of S Ill. It seams if you punch them in the mouth they back off. They love to try to intimidate..won't work. Offense should be rolling by this point. Close game but big road win.

10-3 ILLINOIS STATE (W) (4-1) NDSU by 13
We are to physical for Ill S. especially at home. NDSU will keep the ball on the ground and grind this one out.

10-10 NORTHERN IOWA (L) (4-2) UNI by 3
On paper UNI is the best team in the MVC. Although the Bison don't lose at home often, this may be one of those times. Very close game; if NDSU has their offense on track..look out UNI.

10-17 @South Dakota St. (W) (5-2) NDSU by 10
Two years in a row we have given this game to the Bunnies. It won't be three years in a row. Didn't we miss three field goals in this one last year?

10-24 MISSOURI STATE (W) (6-2) NDSU by 13
This game does not scare me.

10-31 @Western Illinois (W) (7-2) NDSU by 7
Herb Donaldson is gone and so is Jason Williams. I think that Williams was better than Joe Mays and will be tough to replace. Before we go to the knee jerk reaction...what the hell do you mean better than Mays?!?! I think Mays was one of the best linebackers the Bison have had. I think Williams is better. The fact that he was drafted relatively early in the draft bears this out. Donaldson was simply a beast.

11-14 @Indiana State (W) (8-2) NDSU by 30
Blow out win for the Bison.

11-21 YOUNGSTOWN STATE (W) (9-2) NDSU by 13 I haven't seen NDSU play as bad against Younstown last year since the 30-0 loss to SCSU; yet we still had a shot at the end of the game. We will not lose this game.

BisonNeil
08-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Here is the season as I see it. First off, the addition of Gatlin and Belmont are going to have a huge impact on this defense. Belmont is a leader and Gatlin will give us depth. With the signing of Perez and Mohler's status cleared up, the Bison should have more options than last season. It's hard to run an offense when you are trying to protect the only QB that you have. I think this is the breakout year for DJ McNorton. Pat is going to impress, but DJ...something inside tells me we will be happy when this kid gets on the field.

I don't think we will be ready to go. My heart wants me to pick the Bison, but I can't. We need a few turnovers in this one. The outcome of this game will rest on one man, Scott Fuchs. OK , the pressure is on, let's get that OL ready to go for game one. If we can run the ball against Iowa St, NDSU will be in this one.

SHSU is picked to finish in the bottom of their conference. MVC is a better conference. We all had fun giving Rhett crap before last game we played. There is a reason why he was drafted in the NFL. Our DL will be to much for them.

Blow out.

Not a big fan of S Ill. It seams if you punch them in the mouth they back off. They love to try to intimidate..won't work. Offense should be rolling by this point. Close game but big road win.

We are to physical for Ill S. especially at home. NDSU will keep the ball on the ground and grind this one out.

On paper UNI is the best team in the MVC. Although the Bison don't lose at home often, this may be one of those times. Very close game; if NDSU has their offense on track..look out UNI.

Two years in a row we have given this game to the Bunnies. It won't be three years in a row. Didn't we miss three field goals in this one last year?

Herb Donaldson is gone and so is Jason Williams. I think that Williams was better than Joe Mays and will be tough to replace. Before we go to the knee jerk reaction...what the hell do you mean better than Mays?!?! I think Mays was one of the best linebackers the Bison have had. I think Williams is better. The fact that he was drafted relatively early in the draft bears this out. Donaldson was simply a beast.

11-21 YOUNGSTOWN STATE (W) (9-2) NDSU by 13 I haven't seen NDSU play as bad against Younstown last year since the 30-0 loss to SCSU; yet we still had a shot at the end of the game. We will not lose this game.

I like your optimism and will admit that 9-2 is possible, it definitely is. But is it probable? Here's my take.

Probability of 9-2 or 8-3: Low

While this is possible, there are just too many unknowns on this team to make this realistic. The wide receivers in camp have caught a total of three DI balls. A lot of work needed to make them competitive in the MVFC, IMO.

QB still needs to have a proven leader, and by proven, I mean on the field.

The OL and LB corp are thin, thin, thin. Did I mention they are thin? The past two years there have been two lineman that could come in for snaps. I don't see that in the group of Cornick, Lund, Landingham, McGregor and Will. Only one over 300 lbs, two are walk ons and two are way too light at about 280 lbs. If there are only half the injuries on the OL as last year, they are in trouble.

One of the back up OLB is a true freshman. Henry has never had a season free of serious game limiting injuries. I don't know what is going on with Beeson, whether or not he has recovered from his knee injury, but he is badly needed. Enough said.

Bottom line: 9-2 is possible but the WRs have to develop in a hurry and NDSU has to stay relatively injury-free in two critical areas, OL and LB. AND....Mertens has to learn to throw off his left foot. I really believe the biggest reason the kind of season is not probable is the relatively weak recruting years Bohl had in 2006 and 2007 (relative to other years), and I say that not just because there was no QB taken. Other positions were also not recruited well.

Probabilty of 7-4/6-5: Moderate

Because of depth issues at WR, QB, OL, LB and DB, I believe this is the more likely scenario in a season with average game limiting injuries.

Probability of 5-6: Very Low

This will only happen if the injuries to OL and LB are as bad as last year. While that is possible, it is not probable.

My 2 cents.

Ferd
08-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Blow out.

I don't like to lose but would be ecstatic with a 9-2 regular season!!!:hungry:

Bison bison
08-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Blow out.

That is the kind of blatant, ignorant homerism that I want to read about!!

Way to go Scooter- Reps to you!

56BISON73
08-07-2009, 06:43 PM

QUOTE]

You know, I conceded about every one of those points in my post. NDSU has a far better history with regard to DII football. But we are at a higher level now, and thank goodness for that. I will say that UNI was not a power at all when it moved up, it simply had a solid tradition and history. UNI became a power while in D I-AA; during the same time it changed from a small local teachers college to fairly large regional university. So UNI's achievements as a member of I-AA include a real growth in the program's long-term stature.

We'll see what happens in the game, it should be a lot of fun, particularly in the week leading up to it. Honestly, I think it is way too early for predicitions on that one. I only know that the result will be very important for both teams.

UNI has come along ways just as NDSU has. NDSU should have moved up when UNI did. As a matter of fact there was Talk of it when Erhardt was the coach in the late 60s very early 70s. But some people couldnt envision what the move could have meant for the university-academically or athletically. They were more worried about whether we would win another NC instead of considering that we play the best competition that we could.
But thats history. NDSU was respectable in their first year and I expect them to get better over time. We will settle for nothing less.

Scooter1
08-07-2009, 07:01 PM
That is the kind of blatant, ignorant homerism that I want to read about!!

Way to go Scooter- Reps to you!

So, most are saying 7-4 with losses to Iowa St, UNI S Ill and W Ill; maybe even SDSU. Excuse me because I'm not wringing my hands with worry over the season. I think that NDSU will beat S Ill and W Ill instead of losing to them and beat SDSU. I seriously doubt that a win against S Illinois or W Illinois is going to be a huge shock to the FCS communtity. I gave some reasons why I thought this. If you disagree, state why we are going to get are asses kicked in these two games.

Three years ago when I predicted we would do well (10-1) I gave reasons why and you guys said I was homering. I was right.

2 years ago, I thought we would lose, at most, one game. I gave reasons why I thought this way, you guys thought I was being a homer. I was right again.

We (all of FCS) all thought that NDSU was going to be better last year..we were all wrong. This year, you may just find that I'll be right again.

NDB2, please make your prediction.

CaBisonFan
08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
You know, I conceded about every one of those points in my post. NDSU has a far better history with regard to DII football.

Conceded what? How many national titles has UNI won...at any level (including high school)...ever?...:cool:

Bison bison
08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Scooter, I like your prediction.

I'm just a low expectations kind-of guy.

NDSU goes 6-5 or 7-4.

Probable losses: UNI, Iowa State
Likely losses: SIU
Toss-up: SDSU,
Should win: WIU, MSU, Illinois State, Youngstown State, Sam Houston State
Gimmes: Indiana State, Wagner

I think NDSU could win any of these games and lose any of them except against trees or the seahawks.

Also, this is the prediction I make every year. Sometimes we go 10-1, others we go 6-5.

JacksFan06
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Scooter, I like your prediction.

I'm just a low expectations kind-of guy.

NDSU goes 6-5 or 7-4.

Probable losses: UNI, Iowa State
Likely losses: SIU
Toss-up: SDSU,
Should win: WIU, MSU, Illinois State, Youngstown State, Sam Houston State
Gimmes: Indiana State, Wagner

I think NDSU could win any of these games and lose any of them except against trees or the seahawks.

Also, this is the prediction I make every year. Sometimes we go 10-1, others we go 6-5.

This is a pretty reasonable read for the season, I would probably move Youngstown St up to the Toss-up category since they beat NDSU last year even though they were decimated by injuries.

The biggest question mark I see with the Bison are the WR's and if they can get on the same page with the QB. Leading returning receiver last year was Holloway with 2 catches for 17 yards. Not saying they can't, but it's a pretty big question mark.

cvbison1
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
This is a pretty reasonable read for the season, I would probably move Youngstown St up to the Toss-up category since they beat NDSU last year even though they were decimated by injuries.

The biggest question mark I see with the Bison are the WR's and if they can get on the same page with the QB. Leading returning receiver last year was Holloway with 2 catches for 17 yards. Not saying they can't, but it's a pretty big question mark.

if we played Roehl the whole game we would have won at youngstown. he ran wild on them after coming in late

onbison09
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm not going to make a prediction as far as a record. But I like NDB2's thinking. The main things this team needs to do is limit injuries (every team does) and get that swagger back. We saw it during the Walker years, we saw it during the glory days in d2. Watch CA's videos to see what I mean: guys are congratulating each other after every tackle, they're jumping around on the sidelines. We didn't see enough of that last year. Also the swagger means, "we don't care what's on the side of your helmet, we're still going to beat your ass". We expect to win every game. I think the best example of that is the CMU game. They were arguably better than the Gophs and we just went in to their house and gave them (in the words of the great Scotty Miller), "an old fashioned whipping." That's what this team needs the most.

pantherhawkrolling
08-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Conceded what? How many national titles has UNI won...at any level (including high school)...ever?...:cool:

Your answer is a big fat '0'. But I don't weigh all national titles the same. I am proud of UNI's achievements, but I realize that it needs to win a title in order to be truly elite. I give credit to NDSU for its titles, but this is a new level and it has to prove itself again. Really, would you want it another way?

56BISON73
08-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Your answer is a big fat '0'. But I don't weigh all national titles the same. I am proud of UNI's achievements, but I realize that it needs to win a title in order to be truly elite. I give credit to NDSU for its titles, but this is a new level and it has to prove itself again. Really, would you want it another way?

I will agree with you on this. Ive always believed in giving credit where credit is due. NDSU is on a new stage and must prove its self at this level.
It will be an interesting ride.

On another note Ive always enjoyed the UNI rivalry from back in the Stan Sheriff days. Damn he hated the Bison and we didnt care for him either:D
But they were hard nosed. They were also the dirtiest playing team Ive ever encountered.

BisonNolesFan77
08-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Man I like the way you think Scooter1! My thoughts, this team will get tested early, and if they can make it though the first 4 games at 2-2 or 3-1, I see post season play as a very realistic thought. Iowa St., Southern Ill., UNI, and SDSU are the toss up games on the schdule for me. If they can go 2-2 in those games, I think this is a playoff bound team. I am just hoping that this team comes out of the gates with a chip on their shoulders, a win at Iowa St. would really get peoples attention and put that swagger back into the team. I think it is going to be a very interesting year for Bison fans, this will be the year that the new NDSU stars will emerge, at least my thoughts.