PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele's Top 40 Poll

SDbison
07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Bison picked 16th. Bunny turds 20th.
Bison still have a lot to prove to show they are worthy of this ranking. Not sure they can do it without a top notch FCS QB.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204762705
CLEVELAND, Ohio--North Dakota State University was ranked No. 16 in Phil Steele 's College Preview Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Preseason Top 40 poll.
The Bison are one of six Missouri Valley Football Conference teams ranked in the publication's top 40 poll joining No. 3 Southern Illinois, No. 6 UNI, No. 18 Youngstown State, No. 20 South Dakota State and No. 32 Illinois State. In the preseason issue, NDSU was also picked to finish third with Penquins behind the Salukis and Panthers.

NDSUFan_Sav
07-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Bison still have a lot to prove to show they are worthy of this ranking. Not sure they can do it without a top notch FCS QB.

CLEVELAND, Ohio--North Dakota State University was ranked No. 16 in Phil Steele 's College Preview Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Preseason Top 40 poll.
The Bison are one of six Missouri Valley Football Conference teams ranked in the publication's top 40 poll joining No. 3 Southern Illinois, No. 6 UNI, No. 18 Youngstown State, No. 20 South Dakota State and No. 32 Illinois State. In the preseason issue, NDSU was also picked to finish third with Penquins behind the Salukis and Panthers.

Welcome back SD :nod:

bisonmike2
07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
the poll is bogus. No way should we be ahead of the bunnies this year.

CaBisonFan
07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for putting up the poll SD. I'm glad you're back. We have the over-all talent...with unproven leadership...or the lack thereof. You are correct.

We're living off of the 2006 and 2007 seasons. My hunch is that this edition of the Bison will be highly motivated to earn what they get.

sambini
07-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks SD I have a Michelob Golden draft light for you+++

CaBisonFan
07-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks SD I have a Michelob Golden draft light for you+++

Save one for me sambini....:D

IzzyFlexion
07-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Me too.....but I'll take a Sam Adams. Not that lemonny summercrap, just regular.
I'll pay for the upgrade!http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/party/party_7.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Zg9I8HpF3SI/R-617i8ssMI/AAAAAAAAAO8/uNzdK6CTnkc/s400/Sam+Adams+tap.gif

rutlandbison
07-26-2009, 01:49 AM
http://www.hoppsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/rolling-rock.gif

MN_BISON
07-26-2009, 03:52 AM
the poll is bogus. No way should we be ahead of the bunnies this year.

Why is that? My thoughts on the subject are simple, NDSU should always be ranked ahead of the bunnies. :D This is a preseason football ranking, if it were a women's basketball ranking you'd be spot on. OK, I'm having a little fun here but really, what has SDSU done to make this ranking so bogus? It's not like Phil picked the Bison ahead of Montana or something, they were picked 4 spots ahead of SDSU, big frickin' deal.

WYOBISONMAN
07-26-2009, 12:14 PM

I think a 16 is damn generous, but then again, that is why we play the games.

bisonmike2
07-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Why is that? My thoughts on the subject are simple, NDSU should always be ranked ahead of the bunnies. :D This is a preseason football ranking, if it were a women's basketball ranking you'd be spot on. OK, I'm having a little fun here but really, what has SDSU done to make this ranking so bogus? It's not like Phil picked the Bison ahead of Montana or something, they were picked 4 spots ahead of SDSU, big frickin' deal.

Well, they've beat us the past 2 years and they haven't had 1/2 of their team suspended/arrested in the past 6 months. The poll is b.s. They're still giving us credit for out 2 10-1 seasons. Last year was a horrible year and our off-season shenanigan's have done nothing to improve our team. If this poll did any sort of research they wouldn't have put us ahead of SDSU.

tjbison
07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, they've beat us the past 2 years and they haven't had 1/2 of their team suspended/arrested in the past 6 months. The poll is b.s. They're still giving us credit for out 2 10-1 seasons. Last year was a horrible year and our off-season shenanigan's have done nothing to improve our team. If this poll did any sort of research they wouldn't have put us ahead of SDSU.

just goes to show though that the bunnies have a LONNNGGGG ways to go to get respect, but I agree with you! Actually I wouldn't have included NDSU this year, I wish they weren't ranked anywhere as then they will have to earn respect on the field not thru a poll, think some of the guys have a got big heads and think they are untouchable IMO

bisonmike2
07-26-2009, 03:32 PM
just goes to show though that the bunnies have a LONNNGGGG ways to go to get respect, but I agree with you! Actually I wouldn't have included NDSU this year, I wish they weren't ranked anywhere as then they will have to earn respect on the field not thru a poll, think some of the guys have a got big heads and think they are untouchable IMO

That's a good way to put it.

Bisonfan1
07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Welcome back SDbison, now clear your filter so I can send you info on tailgating and continue my harrasment of you where I left off. :D

BisonNeil
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
In contrast to Phil Steele's rag, Lindy's does not have the Bison ranked in the top 25 at all.

UNI comes in at #4 after Appy State, Richmond and Montana.

SDSU is next from the MVFC and comes in at #11. Sure looks like someone is giving the Bunnies the respect they deserve :)

SIU is ranked #12.

In the MVFC Lindy's has NDSU ranked #5 after UNI, SIU, SDSU and WIU. I think this is about right. But how in the hell do they have SDSU ranked higher in the pre-season top 25, above SIU, and then having them finish after SIU in the conference?

tjbison
07-26-2009, 07:30 PM
In contrast to Phil Steele's rag, Lindy's does not have the Bison ranked in the top 25 at all.

SDSU is next from the MVFC and comes in at #11. Sure looks like someone is giving the Bunnies the respect they deserve :)

SIU is ranked #12.

In the MVFC Lindy's has NDSU ranked #5 after UNI, SIU, SDSU and WIU. I think this is about right. But how in the hell do they have SDSU ranked higher in the pre-season top 25, above SIU, and then having them finish after SIU in the conference?

drawing the names out of a hat:D

NDSUstudent
07-26-2009, 09:16 PM

SIU is ranked #12.

WIU shouldn't be ahead of us, that team lost their stud on offense and defense, I think there LB was a third round pick. Their QB is worse than Mertens, their offense was just hand off to Herb.

As for SDSU, they have beaten one great team and that was us a few years ago, after that they have a lot of near misses. Not saying we should be ahead of them but I don't think it is all that conclusive. Their offense without Berry last year was dreadful.

JacksFan06
07-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Their offense without Berry last year was dreadful.

Can you really judge SDSU's Offense off of two Berry-Less quarters? Plus SDSU scored 10 pts in those two quarters against a pretty stout defense in a packed house.

These pre-season polls mean nothing, especially in the FCS where the writers probably haven't even seen most of the teams play.

Losing Berry hurts, but SDSU has traditionally been a running team so I'm sure the O will find a way. Is it bad that I want summer to be over so we can get to some football?

tjbison
07-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Can you really judge SDSU's Offense off of two Berry-Less quarters? Plus SDSU scored 10 pts in those two quarters against a pretty stout defense in a packed house.

These pre-season polls mean nothing, especially in the FCS where the writers probably haven't even seen most of the teams play.

Losing Berry hurts, but SDSU has traditionally been a running team so I'm sure the O will find a way. Is it bad that I want summer to be over so we can get to some football?

no, its normal or odd depending on who you ask, but i would say its mutual on here;)

NDSUstudent
07-26-2009, 10:18 PM

You would have had three points if it wasn't for a 72 yard kick return, that third quarter was dreadful and that is coming from somebody that watched a lot of dreadful offensive play last year.

I am not saying it won't get better given time to adjust but I am always a bit wary once a team loses an impact QB like Berry. Minett and the OL will need to dial it up in a big way right away.

mgbison
07-27-2009, 05:52 AM
if i were a Jacks fan my biggest fear would be the o-line. They were dreadful in Fargo. Poor second string QB was basically running for his life the whole game. then again, i don't know much about their squad, but thats what i got out of the game in fargo. Their running back was pretty good. i'd say stack the box and make them throw this year. Unless their freshman qb can step up, that will be a big issue for them.

ndsubison1
07-27-2009, 06:04 AM
polls are polls, they mean nothing... as of right now I think SDSU deserves to be ahead of us, but we'll see who's better on the field