PDA

View Full Version : Friends of Jaclyn

onbison09
07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't know if any of you watch Real Sports on HBO but they had a story about a little girl that got cancer and ended up being adopted by the Northwestern women's lax team. They sent her care packages and called her and all that. She was in the hospital for treatments one day and a kid asked her who was texting her all the time. She said her team. She told her dad that the kid needed a team too. So the dad worked some connections and got the kid a team. Anyway the thing exploded and now it's national. Do you know if any of our teams do this? I think it would be a great idea. Anyways here's the site: http://www.friendsofjaclyn.org/

Hammersmith
07-23-2009, 08:39 PM
That reminds me, I've got a signed banner from the '99 Bison team that they sent me while I was going through chemo sitting in the back of my closet. I was still conducting the GSMB in between rounds of chemo, and someone must've passed the info to Babich. I went through a lot of face paint that year(I had other band members paint different designs and symbols on my bald head* and then kept my hat off while in the stands).

*And now I shave the damn thing every morning. <sigh>

onbison09
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
I had a very major surgery when I was in 2nd grade and if any of you remember the old IBA, the Minot Snowbears kind of adopted me as the team's fan or whatever you want to call it. They dedicated a game to me and stuff. It meant a lot and it helped get me through a pretty bad time. Although it wasn't near as bad as cancer for sure. How can we get some Bison teams involved? Although I'm sure they already do stuff.

sambini
07-26-2009, 06:01 PM
My mother when she was going through chemo. Amy and the womens team sent her a signed tshirt. After she passed away my dad said my daughter should have it. Its a special part of our Bison collection.

Shawn-O
08-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Just watched it tonight. What a great story and great cause!

summitfever
08-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I saw the story on HBO and was really moved by it. I was wondering what kind of things NDSU teams have done in the past similar to this. Thank you for sharing your stories on this thread.

onbison09
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Anyone know how we get the teams involved?

BlueBisonRock
08-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Anyone know how we get the teams involved?

The background info I get on the current and past Bison teams is that they are quietly involved in a number of scenarios. There are a couple of former Bison players whom I think highly of as they step in and step up without looking for publicity. They simply do what is right.