PDA

View Full Version : Amy Anderson Medalist at U.S. Girl's Juniors!

Bison bison
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Wow. wow. wow.

http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/news/TuesdayFinal.html

99Bison
07-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Yea, this is a big accomplishment!

Hammersmith
07-23-2009, 04:16 PM
And she advanced to the round of 16 today. She faces Alison Lee this afternoon to try and make the round of 8.

Will we actually be able to get excited about NDSU golf now? Weird.

Hammersmith
07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
It looks like Amy is trying to piss off an entire family. :)

This was the second time in two years Anderson had eliminated a Lendl from the U.S. Girls’ Junior. Last year at Hartford Golf Club, she beat Isabelle’s younger sister, Daniela, 3 and 2, in the first round. Daniela was eliminated at Trump National on Thursday by Victoria Park of Irvine, Calif., 8 and 7.

Medalist Anderson, Defending Champion Thompson Post Second-Round Wins (http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/news/ThursdayMidDay.html)

Thunder_Struck
07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Amy wins 2nd match today 1 up to move into the final 8!

DORMIE
07-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Yes, this is huge. I just returned tonight from the US Junior. I was able to follow Amy her last 3 holes in Qualifying as I just finished my shift as a timer at a check point. She birdied 17 to win the medal by one. Wasn't able to follow her matches as I was serving as a referee at the time. Was going to follow her this afternoon before I left, but it started to rain. She beat a different Lendal (yes the daughter of Ivan) at last years tournament. She is really a nice kid and we are so lucky to have her and her brother Nathan coming next year. Got my picture taken with Mr. Trump. He is actually a pretty neat guy. You would never have thunk it!!

Bison"FANatic"
07-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, this is huge. I just returned tonight from the US Junior. I was able to follow Amy her last 3 holes in Qualifying as I just finished my shift as a timer at a check point. She birdied 17 to win the medal by one. Wasn't able to follow her matches as I was serving as a referee at the time. Was going to follow her this afternoon before I left, but it started to rain. She beat a different Lendal (yes the daughter of Ivan) at last years tournament. She is really a nice kid and we are so lucky to have her and her brother Nathan coming next year. Got my picture taken with Mr. Trump. He is actually a pretty neat guy. You would never have thunk it!!

Did you get Trump to pony up 15 million to invest in a arena in Fargo ND:D :D :D :D

Congrats to Amy huge accomplishment and keep it going

Thunder_Struck
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
On to the final four this afternoon!

Bison bison
07-24-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/news/FridayMidDay.html

Greenie
07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
She won her semifinal match and will play in the 36-hole final match on Saturday (on Golf Channel: 3-5 PM central time). She rallied to win in 19 holes.

http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/scoring/nml/match/051.html
http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/news/fact-sheet.html

tony
07-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Really impressive!

It looks like Kimmy Kaufman from Clark, SD was a quarterfinalist at the same tourney. Sign her (she also has a sister) and I think NDSU would have a pretty formidable golf team.

Hammersmith
07-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Really impressive!

It looks like Kimmy Kaufman from Clark, SD was a quarterfinalist at the same tourney. Sign her (she also has a sister) and I think NDSU would have a pretty formidable golf team.

Yes we would, but Kimmy is already going to Texas Tech. Both girls must have pushed their schooling, because they are both 17 and are entering college this fall.

imabison
07-25-2009, 06:49 PM
She won her semifinal match and will play in the 36-hole final match on Saturday (on Golf Channel: 3-5 PM central time). She rallied to win in 19 holes.

http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/scoring/nml/match/051.html
http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/news/fact-sheet.html

If my math is correct, Amy is 6 up with 9 holes to go.

Way to go Amy!!!

imabison
07-25-2009, 07:03 PM
If my math is correct, Amy is 6 up with 9 holes to go.

Way to go Amy!!!

Now 7 up with 8 to go.

imabison
07-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Now 7 up with 8 to go.

6 up with 7 to go.

roadwarrior
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
up to date scoring:

http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/scoring/nml/match/061.html

imabison
07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
6 up with 7 to go.

Amy 6 Up 6 to go!!

imabison
07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Amy 6 Up 6 to go!!

Future Bison Amy Anderson wins 6 UP 5 to go over Kimberly Kim of Hilo, HA

Way to go Amy!!

Bison bison
07-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow. Wow. Wow.

Kermit
07-25-2009, 08:44 PM
What a FANTASTIC accomplishment! Congratulations, Amy!

SDbison
07-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Congrats Amy.
Even though you have yet to begin school at NDSU you have already made a big impression on us. Definitely a winner with a great attitude. You seem to have your values in the right place. Maybe you could give a pep talk to the football players who seem to have lost something over the past year.

99Bison
07-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Great job Amy!

sambini
07-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Congrats to Amy++++

Bison"FANatic"
07-26-2009, 01:09 AM
That is just a huge accomplishment for her. All the hard work and practice paid off!!!!

Hammersmith
07-26-2009, 01:59 AM
A few things fom her interview:

An Interview With 2009 U.S. Girls' Junior Champion Amy Anderson (http://www.usgirlsjunior.org/news/AndersonInterview.html)

Q. I know you've committed to working on it. But have you gotten a few calls this week?

AMY ANDERSON: I got a couple that are just like, are you committed? Are you sure? Well, if you're not, you're welcome. But, no, right now I am staying with North Dakota State. I'm excited.

Q. You have the kids in the academy, they're on the road. I've talked to some kids that are seven weeks on the road. Here you are. You played two big national events a year, and two months in the season. Does it show that you don't need the glitzy swing coach? Do you think that turns people away?

AMY ANDERSON: Absolutely, my coach is great. He never turned pro. He studied the swing. Nobody ever heard of him. I'd appreciate it if you mentioned him. Dale Helm. He lives in Mayville. He's a great coach. He's really taught me great mechanics and has a great philosophy for the golf game.

Q. What other events have you played in besides this one and the amateur now?

AMY ANDERSON: The PGA Championship. Jr. PGA Championship next week. And then I have a local tournament it would be the week after the Am, if I go to that.

Q. In some ways do you think it's an advantage that you're not playing 20 tournaments a year or whatever it is. That you're involved in other activities?

AMY ANDERSON: Yeah, I do. I think if you play that much a year, you get burnt out and tired. And it's hard to really focus and grind during the few tournaments that you do play. Where, you know, since I have less opportunity to play tournaments, they're more important to me.

Q. What other things are you involved in? I know you're home schooled?

AMY ANDERSON: I do a lot of strength training. I'm involved with my church quite a bit. I play piano, violin and then academics are important to me.

Q. You have 31 on the ACT, what is the highest you can go?

AMY ANDERSON: 36.

Q. Coming from a state with football and hockey that are the big sports. What do you think this means to the people of NorthDakota? Especially for the younger kids?

AMY ANDERSON: I'm not sure. But I think this is proof that you don't have to live in Florida to be able to do well in golf, so...

DORMIE
07-26-2009, 02:46 AM
IMABISON, just in case you didn't know, when you're 6 up with 6 to play, you are DORMIE. BINGO!!!!. I've been on the Jr Boy's Committee for 26 years and have attended 23 Championships. This is HUGE. Like I said earlier, her parents are thrilled that NDSU was able to put scholarships together for Amy and her brother Nathan. They realize the full time job that awaits a big time college golf athlete. I guess I could have stayed to the end, however $175 for 3 more nights for a person on social security plus I had my gig at El Zagal on Saturday, I had to get home. All in all, this is huge. Amy beat 3 Korean's, one of Ivan Lendall's daughters and one from Argentina and Columbia. How could you even have a conversation???? Mr. Trump is a stud!!

lakesbison
07-26-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/247844/

bisonballs33
07-27-2009, 03:28 AM
BIG congrats to Amy. I heard about it on local radio too. Big accomplishment. Way to go!

Bison bison
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Matt Johnson is going try to leverage Amy's performance to get into bigger tournaments.

Trim
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
What happened to the old coach Lisa?

DORMIE
07-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Probably too mutch on her plate at OSGOOD.

Hammersmith
07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
After Day 1 of the PGA Junior Championship, Amy is tied for 31st overall, tied for 13th among the girls, and is 5 strokes off the lead for both. Amy shot an even par for her first 18 holes(34-38), and the girls leader(Alexis Thompson) shot a 5-under(34-33). There will be two more days of 18 holes each before a cut of the low 30 boys and low 30 girls and then 18 more holes on Friday. Sometime between now and the beginning of next week, Amy will need to decide if she is going to use the qualifier exemption she earned for the US Women's Amateur(Aug 3-9).

Bison bison
07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Probably too mutch on her plate at OSGOOD.

But she signed Amy before she left!!! A debt that can never be repaid.

DORMIE
07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
The US Women's Amateur would actually be on the way home to Oxbow being played at Old Warson Country Club in St. Louis, MO.

imabison
07-29-2009, 11:17 PM
After Day 1 of the PGA Junior Championship, Amy is tied for 31st overall, tied for 13th among the girls, and is 5 strokes off the lead for both. Amy shot an even par for her first 18 holes(34-38), and the girls leader(Alexis Thompson) shot a 5-under(34-33). There will be two more days of 18 holes each before a cut of the low 30 boys and low 30 girls and then 18 more holes on Friday. Sometime between now and the beginning of next week, Amy will need to decide if she is going to use the qualifier exemption she earned for the US Women's Amateur(Aug 3-9).

I was looking for todays stat, but found that a Laura Kraft from Jamestown, ND is also playing in the tournament. I think she was T40 or something like that.

Hammersmith
07-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Amy didn't have a particulary good day and shot +2 to fall 11 strokes behind the girls leader. She should make the cut after tomorrow(barring a disaster), but she's not in good shape to make a run at the title.

Laura from Jamestown had a much worse day and shot a +6 to fall to +10 after 36 holes. Currently tied for 72nd overall, she will have to do much better to survive the cut.

Hammersmith
07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Amy had a good first round today; -3 over the first 9 holes. She's now 1 under for the first 45 holes. Laura has pretty much knocked herself out with a +6 over the first 9 holes today. She's now at +16 and tied for 94th place overall(with most of the field yet to play today).

imabison
07-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Amy had a good first round today; -3 over the first 9 holes. She's now 1 under for the first 45 holes. Laura has pretty much knocked herself out with a +6 over the first 9 holes today. She's now at +16 and tied for 94th place overall(with most of the field yet to play today).

Thank you for the updates.

Hammersmith
07-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Day 3 is wrapping up at the PGA Junior Championship. Among the girls, Amy is tied with three others for 9th at even par. Alexis Thompson maintains her lead at 11-under. Laura just missed the cut by tying for 31st at +19; only the top 30 advance to tomorrow.

Hammersmith
07-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Amy finished 10th among the girls with a +2. The champion, Alexis Thompson, crushed the field with a -16, and a 12 stroke lead over the 2nd place finisher. BTW, Alexis is 14.

BlueKeyAlum
08-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Article in the Forum about Amy (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/247994/).

Civil06
08-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Amy Anderson is on NBC right now. They're showing the Jr. Match Play Championship. Did a great interview and they showed her brother carrying the bag. The show has about 45 minutes left.

tcbison
08-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Amy Anderson is on NBC right now. They're showing the Jr. Match Play Championship. Did a great interview and they showed her brother carrying the bag. The show has about 45 minutes left.

I was just about to post the same thing. Kinda ran accross this by accident. Amy really carries herself well.

roper1313
08-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Amy is leading the US Am at -3 after the first round. There is an article in todays forum.

Just like the US Jr. Am the top 64 advance to matchplay after two rounds of stroke play. Kimberly Kim, who Amy beat in the Jr. finals is one stroke back at -2.

FYI, no women has ever won the Jr and and Am in the same year.

onbison09
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm just glad she signed!!

Hammersmith
08-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Amy was doing well until her final nine holes today. Five pars and four bogies dropped her to 1-over and a tie for 8th place. She begins match-play tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 versus Cydney Clanton of Concord, N.C.

lakesbison
08-05-2009, 04:08 AM
shoot. thats horrible.

cuz if she is #8, that means she'll have to take on the #1 girl in the quarterfinals, yuck.

good luck amy!

Hammersmith
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
shoot. thats horrible.

cuz if she is #8, that means she'll have to take on the #1 girl in the quarterfinals, yuck.

good luck amy!

For the purposes of seeding, Amy is ranked 11th. Assuming the top seeds win, she'll be facing 54, 22, 6, 3, 2, 1.

Match-Play Tree (http://www.uswamateur.org/scoring/nml/reversetree.html)(auto updated)
Amy is fourth from the bottom.

Alexis Thompson, who crushed the field at the Junior PGA Championship last week, is seeded 61st(out of 64).

roper1313
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Beat me to it Hammersmith. Not that seeds matter much in this. If Amy can stay around par she'll do just fine.

Hammersmith
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Amy's in trouble. She's down 5 thru 10. She'll need to win six of the remaining eight holes to win. And she hasn't won a hole yet.

Hammersmith
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Do or die time. Amy's opponent is dormie. And not the good kind(our DORMIE).

Hammersmith
08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
And Amy is done; 3 and 2. A disappointing end to a nice three-week run. Here's hoping she can take a short vacation and have some well-deserved fun before classes begin.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Lets hope that the "Big Time Golf Schools" stay away, no doubt Amy could pretty much have her pick.

DORMIE
08-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Just got my Golf World magazine and there was an article on the Junior's. Anderson said a few college coaches have contacted her since winning. "I've got a couple [coaches] that [asked], 'Are you committed?' " she said. "[They asked] 'Are you sure? Well if you're not, you're welcome.' But, no, right now I am staying with North Dakota State. I'm excited." I figure that in the past 3-4 weeks she has played 19 competative rounds. Even though she works out, she has to be gassed. A tremendous run for Amy.

sambini
08-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Amy is in the semifinals of the Pine to Palm mens tourney. Meets Tom Hoge a TCU ALL AMERICAN. Big crowds following her at Detriot Country club.

lakesbison
08-16-2009, 02:45 AM
and beat JENKINS from SDSU's boys men.

oh oh bunnyland!!!

way to go Amy, NDSU is following you big time already!!

Hammersmith
08-16-2009, 03:30 AM
I love it that she advanced to the semis by defeating an SDSU golfer. A male golfer who also happens to be a senior. Is anyone else finding themselves excited for Bison golf for the first time ever?

Mr. Burgundy
08-16-2009, 02:23 PM
i watched her play both matches yesterday....I honestly feel she is as good as any female in America. (that is not a joke). No disrespect to Justin Jenkins of SDSU who is a GREAT kid and has a great game....she just outplayed him. PERIOD. She dominated that match. She was up 4 after 11 holes and had it on autopilot. She hit it as long and farther than him on most holes. I think she is going to really help the NDSU program with recruiting. They are going to be pretty damn good in the future, and her brother is a great player as well. Congrats to her.
Now, if she beats All American Tom Hoge....the story explodes. She went birdie, birdie, birdie on 15, 16, 17 in the round of 16 to go from 2 dn to 1 up. Nobody in the crowd could believe it. She had a 10 footer on 18 for the 4th in a row and simply had to two putt for the victory.

Congrats to Amy!!!

lakesbison
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
so burgandy. instead of following tiger/patty today, we as bison fans should follow amy/tom at DL this morning??

hmmmm dilemma's...

wow, if I wasnt banned on sdsufans, i would love to see what their reaction was..... someone should give me an update.

congrats AMY!

lakesbison
08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Amy lost 7 & 6 to Tom Hoge of TCU.

Tom was like -7 for the morning.

other semi final was U of Minn vs U of Minn.

imabison
08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Amy is in the semifinals of the Pine to Palm mens tourney. Meets Tom Hoge a TCU ALL AMERICAN. Big crowds following her at Detriot Country club.

I think I heard that Amy lost 7 and 6 today, but she made a very good run at it!!

Good luck in the future Amy!!

Mr. Burgundy
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
She lost to Tom Hoge....who is leading the finals right now. Hoge went to Fargo South and is an All American at Texas Christian. He had a lead on the back nine of the NCAA Championship this year....kid is silly good. He shot 62 on Tuesday with a bogie.....in qualifying.

Losing to Hoge is pretty much the norm. She played some amazing golf. No woman had ever qualified for Match Play. She made it to the semi's.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Congrats to Amy on a great Pine to Palm Tourney, her accomplishments are nothing short of amazing. Truly NDSU's Women's Golf future is very bright.

The Detroit Lakes Country Club fits Amy's game very well. It would be interesting to see if Amy, would fare as well on a longer course.......

bisonaudit
08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
It would be interesting to see if Amy, would fare as well on a longer course.......

Maybe like Corey Pavin at the PGA?

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe like Corey Pavin at the PGA?

Pavin did not finish in top 20. If this event were played at Fargo CC, Wildflower, or even Oxbow, the results would be much different.

At Pine to Palm, Amy can compete with the men, and did so, remarkably well.

imabison
08-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Pavin did not finish in top 20. If this event were played at Fargo CC, Wildflower, or even Oxbow, the results would be much different.

At Pine to Palm, Amy can compete with the men, and did so, remarkably well.

I really got a kick out of the comment made by Amy after losing her match. I think it was on WDAY. "Somebody finally did to me what I have been doing them them!" Referring to getting her butt kicked, but having done a lot of butt kicking along the way!!!

sambini
08-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Just think of how that Bison womens golf team will be ? +++++

Bison"FANatic"
08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know how college golf works but this has to get them a few invites into better tournaments. That will benefit the whole team and even help with recruiting the next few years when you can tell a recruit you are getting into better tournaments. Of course that all rests on my assumption that because of Amy's showing NDSU will be invited to higher profile tournaments.

bisonhusker
08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
She hit it past alot of the men at the Pine to Palm. Consistently driving it past Justin Jenkins of SDSU who is a great player in the round of 8. Yes, that course is a nice fit for her, but what course wouldn't be....she hits it straighter than anyone I have ever watched.

DORMIE
08-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Nice to see Amy this afternoon at the FCC playing with her Bison teammates. Have to get rid or that Oxbow bag and get a Bison one. No offence to Oxbow, they have 2 National Champions.

Herd
09-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Hey Bisonville administrators . . . If you not going to start a Section on this board called "Amy Anderson Records", at least you could set up a section for "Bison Golf". I think the golf teams need their own section, wouldn't you agree?