PDA

View Full Version : Freshman Brooks Named to Guatemala U-20 National Team

D_One_here_we_come
07-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Very cool and news worthy! Look forward to seeing her on the field this fall!

Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations

Shannon Brooks will be a freshman on the Bison soccer team this fall.

FARGO, N.D. – Incoming freshman Shannon Brooks has been selected to the Guatemala Under-20 national soccer team. She was chosen for the team after tryouts in California at the end of June.

Over 100 players hailing from all over California attended the tryouts. Brooks was one of 10 players added to the U-20 team. There are members of the team based in Guatemala as well.

Brooks is eligible for the Guatemalan team because her mother, Susana Ebeck, was born and raised there.

“I was shocked and amazed when I found out that I made the team,” she said. “It really means a lot to me and to my family. It’s a very exciting thing.”

Brooks will meet the rest of her teammates and coaches at a team meeting on July 24 in California. Over Christmas break she will travel to Guatemala for training.

Brooks played for Monrovia High School in Monrovia, Calif. where she led the team to two league titles. She was a three-time all-league selection and helped the team reach the state finals in 2006. Brooks was also a standout softball player at Monrovia.

NDSU head coach Pete Cuadrado is happy that Brooks will have this international experience. “This is going to help Shannon elevate her game to a new level,” he said. “It’s a wonderful opportunity for her.”

Brooks and the Bison open the 2009 season with an exhibition game against Augustana on August 16 at 4 p.m. at the Ellig Sports Complex. The regular season kicks off with a home game against Drake on August 21.

onbison09
07-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice!! Welcome to the Herd!