PDA

View Full Version : Sioux Falls Bidding for 2011 NCAA Women's First Two Rounds

Hammersmith
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
This could be interesting. If they get it, SF would host both the Summit tourney and the first two rounds of the NCAAs within a two week span. 2011 is far enough away that there's no guarantee that SDSU will win the Summit autobid. Heck, the women's field is weak enough overall that maybe two Summit teams might make it in if they're both good enough. The overall attendance average for all 32 first and second round games was only 4,110 last year, so it's not like the SF Arena is too small for these games. If the NCAA gives SF a shot, maybe Fargo will be encouraged to give it a try once Bison women's basketball gets back to the top.

Sioux Falls aims to host NCAAs (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090712/SPORTS0202/907120327/1002/sports)

tjbison
07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
not to sound like a poster who shall not be named, but if SF were to get this it just shows how little people care about womens sports at the college level, and its too bad nobody cares, I mean 4000 people only for the first 2 rounds wow! Just my opinion:hide:

bisonmike2
07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
not to sound like a poster who shall not be named, but if SF were to get this it just shows how little people care about womens sports at the college level, and its too bad nobody cares, I mean 4000 people only for the first 2 rounds wow! Just my opinion:hide:

A huge problem with the womens tourney is that it takes place the same time as the mens. If the NCAA were smart, and they're not, we'd see the women's Tournament moved up to February. Seriously, what happens in Feb? Nothing. The way it is set now the womens tourney takes place the same time as the mens and it get's lost in the shuffle. More people might pay attention if it were by itself. Heck you might see some more people gamble on it to warm up for the men's tournament.

mebisonII
07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
A huge problem with the womens tourney is that it takes place the same time as the mens. If the NCAA were smart, and they're not, we'd see the women's Tournament moved up to February. Seriously, what happens in Feb? Nothing. The way it is set now the womens tourney takes place the same time as the mens and it get's lost in the shuffle. More people might pay attention if it were by itself. Heck you might see some more people gamble on it to warm up for the men's tournament.

Totally agree. I've also seen the argument to offset the other way and have the tourney in April, when there is really nothing going on in sports at any level (except T&F, I suppose). Probably open up more TV coverage as that might hit the gap between regular season and summer season, plus spring is starting and people are looking for a good reason to get out of the house. An inexpensive sporting event might be just the ticket (see: minor league baseball).

Iowa City held the first round of the Women's tourney last year and I don't think anyone noticed.