PDA

View Full Version : Summit 2015

Bison bison
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
UND is a no-brainer.
UT-PA for baseball.

Scheduling eleven sucks nuts - ask the Big Sky.

Need twelve. Who's that? UVU or Denver.

NDSUstudent
07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
UND and Denver.

UPTA and maybe even another southern school come in as baseball affiliates. Does anyone know if need another school for softball?

Hammersmith
07-10-2009, 07:12 PM
UND and Denver.

UPTA and maybe even another southern school come in as baseball affiliates. Does anyone know if need another school for softball?
We're okay in softball(barely). We've got 6 core schools that play, 1 core that does not(ORU), and us and SDSU that play but don't count.

Bison bison
07-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Is Denver for sure getting the boot?

Will they accept the Summit right away?

coldspot
07-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Is Denver for sure getting the boot?

Will they accept the Summit right away?

they need to pick up so many sports (the big one being football i believe) if they want to stay in the sunbelt but i dont see that happening. bring them to the summit and encourage them to add baseball. denver could easily pull together a decent baseball team to start a season. heck, oregon just did the same and they didnt do that poorly considering the teams they were playing.

bincitysioux
07-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Obviously I'm hoping for North Dakota.............

I like the idea of Denver and then UTPA as a baseball affiliate. Easy travel for everyone to Denver and gives the northern baseball schools more games in a warm climate.

When does Utah Valley become a core member? They have great facilities for basketball and baseball, and have done a pretty nice job through their transition which they just completed. I think they're the biggest threat to North Dakota for a spot in the Summit.

sambini
07-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Utah Valley Is My Pick.

Greenie
07-11-2009, 03:01 PM
The Summit would need a substantial commitment from Southern Utah to add Utah Valley. If Utah Valley was added, and S Utah left; then the Summit would be 'stuck' with another school out on an island (i.e. Centenary).

JacksFan06
07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
At least Utah Valley is easier to get to than Southern Utah.

Houston Baptist has been thrown around as a possible baseball addition.

Shawn-O
07-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Denver is such a wildcard in this whole thing, but I think the addition of DU and UND would add stability to the conference. I don't have any inside info but I'd bet this is Douple's preferred scenario.

Bison bison
07-12-2009, 03:40 AM
As far the NCAA, UND does zippo for stability. My unborn children will be in junior high before they are core members of Division I.

Denver would bolt in a mile high second if the WCC gave the go ahead which seems pretty unlikely for the next decade - but you never know.

UND, Denver, and UTPA for baseball would be great. I also wouldn't mind UVU to match up with Southern Utah - who isn't going anywhere - unless a Big Sky school really falls apart (read no-money -> cut sports), even then it's 9-1.

tjbison
07-12-2009, 12:54 PM
As far the NCAA, UND does zippo for stability. My unborn children will be in junior high before they are core members of Division I.

Denver would bolt in a mile high second if the WCC gave the go ahead which seems pretty unlikely for the next decade - but you never know.

UND, Denver, and UTPA for baseball would be great. I also wouldn't mind UVU to match up with Southern Utah - who isn't going anywhere - unless a Big Sky school really falls apart (read no-money -> cut sports), even then it's 9-1.

Oh so true!!!:nod:

SUU isn't getting into anything "better" than the Summit IMO, I see no reason to shun UVU, they couldn't be any worse than Centenary could they

NDSUstudent
07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I kind of think the Summit wants to get rid of SUU eventually, the conference is really trying to shrink the footprint and create some kind of identity. Adding UVU doesn't do anything in reaching either one of the those goals.

tjbison
07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I kind of think the Summit wants to get rid of SUU eventually, the conference is really trying to shrink the footprint and create some kind of identity. Adding UVU doesn't do anything in reaching either one of the those goals.

But we have to face it the Summit isn't powerful enough to be choosing which schools it wants, they have to take whats out there and UVU is a full DI school looking for a Conference in a state that the Summit already has a school, adding UVU will help the conference before USD or UND would as they are still in transition IMO

NDSUstudent
07-12-2009, 03:25 PM
But we have to face it the Summit isn't powerful enough to be choosing which schools it wants, they have to take whats out there and UVU is a full DI school looking for a Conference in a state that the Summit already has a school, adding UVU will help the conference before USD or UND would as they are still in transition IMO

UVU is a year behind us in terms of transition, which would mean they are three years ahead of UND and USD. The only schools that really help us are UTPA, Chicago State, and a team from another conference like Denver. Those schools are core members.

I really do think the Summit has to watch itself and try to create an identity or it will never have stability.

tjbison
07-12-2009, 03:28 PM
UVU is a year behind us in terms of transition, which would mean they are three years ahead of UND and USD. The only schools that really help us are UTPA, Chicago State, and a team from another conference like Denver. Those schools are core members.

I really do think the Summit has to watch itself and try to create an identity or it will never have stability.

I agree, hope Douple figures something out

Bison bison
07-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Chicago State doesn't help anybody - they are a disgrace to higher education and college athletics.

Bison bison
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
UVU doesn't help with the core, but does provide another game for flying to utah.

I think the big thing is that the core members of the Summit call the shots. They voted to add USD, so UND seems like a no brainer.

Remember the Summit won't even pick up the phone when UVU calls.

Denver? who knows. Great school, goofy combination of sports, has a history of doing its own thing despite friendly encouragement by their conference (wtf is it with hockey schools?), would leave in a second, but who in the conference wouldn't?

The one thing to avoid is 11 schools, it's an absolute pain in the patookus to schedule 11 teams for bball.

Herd
07-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Denver would join the Summit with one foot in, looking Westward, and with an eclectic mix of sports that would match up poorly with everyone else in the Summit. I don't see any significant commitment from Denver that would benefit the Summit. I'd rather have someone that has both oars in the water.

Frankly, I'd get more excited about MN St. joining (the real MN St. in Mankota) than Denver. MN St. has great baseball, solid basketball, would have one of the better basketball arenas in the conference (although its small), and has other strong programs. After being on Denvers campus in their basketball arena and in Mankota for BB and FB, I'd vote MN St. on that one.

With some encouragement from the Dakota's could MSU join the Summit? I think they'd be an instant frontrunner if they showed some interest. Can they afford a DI move, will the state support, that is the question?

IzzyFlexion
07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Chicago State doesn't help anybody - they are a disgrace to higher education and college athletics.

They do have a sweet 400 level course in Urban Warfare.

NDSUstudent
07-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Herd, for recruiting purposes I like the Minnesota schools right where they are. Denver can look west, but they are a quality school in a number of ways that gives the league a core member right now. Maybe they just might find the home they have been looking for in the Summit.