PDA

View Full Version : Time to start a Missouri Valley push??

TheBisonator
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
With the recent talk of Centenary bolting from the Summit, it got me a little concerned about NDSU's well-being in the scheme of things in our conference. I guess from what I read that there are Summit sports whose autobids will be threatened by Centenary's departure. It got me to thinking about the recent giving up by our athletic department on a new basketball arena. I think there still needs to be some kind of drive to 1) Get a new basketball arena built and 2) Make out baseball program respectable. If we accomplish these things, with already having one of the best minor league parks in the Midwest, the MVC's two biggest sports, basketball and baseball, would be well-represented at NDSU, and we could then be sufficiently considered for an invite to the Valley if talks of expansion comes up. I have always believed that the Summit will not be our permanent home, and sometime next decade we will upgrade, probably likely to the MVC.

What are your thoughts on this?? If anyone here thinks NDSU doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the MVC in the next 10-15 years, please explain why. (We have the fan base, resources, population, money, etc. already in place)

roadwarrior
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
We have the basketball facilities in place?

Bison bison
07-09-2009, 02:27 PM
?

I say if we're going to start a push we go for the Big XII.

tjbison
07-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I would love a MVC Bid, but Location, Location, Location!

Oh yeah and lack of Bball Facilities and IMO attendance. So unless a major shake up occurs I don't see us getting in.

Greenie
07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
The only way NDSU is getting into the Valley is if they (1) want to have 12 teams, and (2) upgrade baskeball facilities.

If they would expand, the short list includes NDSU, SDSU, Western Illinois, and Youngstown State because of the existing affiliation for football. Of the 4, NDSU and SDSU have the best chance because their success across many sports, fan support, and academic/research abilities.

New or updated basketball facilites as mentioned earlier (BSA remodel +/- FD addition) are a must to get into the Valley. The MVC hangs it hat on men's basketball for national notoriety and revenue.

tony
07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I'd think Oral Roberts would be welcome to the MVC before any Dakota team which would, of course, be very bad for the Summit.

Personally, I think NDSU has a pretty good setup in the Summit and Centenary leaving could be good for the league in the long run. I think joining the MVC would make getting to the NCAAs substantially more difficult in basketball. I vote for dominating the Summit and/or making the league stronger.

AKBison
07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
The only way we get into the MVC is if Creighton and Bradley bolt for a midwest private league after the big east shakeup. MVC is basketball first and everything else second. Without a new barn and consistent sell outs we can forget about it. If the MVC wanted to go twelve the schools on their radar consist of ORU, St Loius and Butler. If I could wave my magic wand a create a conference for us I would pick this...

Big North

UNI
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State

Travel Partners
UNI-Minn State
UND-NDSU
USD-SDSU
montana-Montana State

Ferd
07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
The only way we get into the MVC is if Creighton and Bradley bolt for a midwest private league after the big east shakeup. MVC is basketball first and everything else second. Without a new barn and consistent sell outs we can forget about it. If the MVC wanted to go twelve the schools on their radar consist of ORU, St Loius and Butler. If I could wave my magic wand a create a conference for us I would pick this...

Big North

UNI
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State

Travel Partners
UNI-Minn State
UND-NDSU
USD-SDSU
montana-Montana State

Which Minnesota State???

TheBisonator
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Which Minnesota State???

Moorhead.

(Ducks and covers)

Bison bison
07-09-2009, 07:57 PM
When it comes to conference affiliation, all that NDSU can do is take care of its own business as well as possible. We thought we were likely going to be members of the Big Sky. That fell through. Then Chicago State and Valpo left the conference and poof - NDSU has a conference. Nobody saw it happening like that not even the great Carnac.

I think we should accept that/plan on the summit being our permanent home. It's already a good one, NDSU can help make it a great one.

NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD are flagship schools.
ORU has national recognized athletic programs.
Centenary is leaving (sorry Gents, but it's true).
The biggest coup would be to add Denver. A private, respected-school.

The next step is to pull Montana State and Montana from the Big Sky to get to twelve.

Then NDSU, SDSU, and Montana State join a wacked-up wac with Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, Cal Poly, Cal Davis, Hawaii, and Nevada.

I think I might use my next genie wish on this.

Greenie
07-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree that the Summit could become a very good mid-major league, especially under the scenario I mentioned. It could create more satisfaction for NDSU and less wondering about the MVC as a better fit.

Natural geographic and historic rivals: SDSU, USD, UND
Quality programs: Oral Roberts, Oakland
Programs with varying success and potential: Denver, IUPUI, IPFW, W Illinois, S Utah
Others: UMKC

This league would also include some nice markets, and respectable academics/research.

lakesbison
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
WAC with Montana and NDSU seems better for me!!!

plus, after Centanary leaves. 10 will be just fine.

Missouri Valley Schools dont want NDSU, that's evident.

NDSUstudent
07-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I think the only way NDSU goes into the MVC is if the league wants to take on FBS football.

Hammersmith
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I think the only way NDSU goes into the MVC is if the league wants to take on FBS football.

This. And it's one of my personal dreams. It definitely won't happen until the economy recovers to pre-credit crisis levels. Like NDB2 said, all we can do is keep our house in order and make us as attractive as possible when/if the status quo changes. I would also add that I think we need to root for SDSU whenever they're not playing us. I think it will be both or neither, and going O-fer in MBB road games or getting only a couple thousand fans for late-season home FB games might hurt our chances just as much as it does theirs.

Bison bison
07-10-2009, 01:38 AM
MVC is the mid-major basketball conference and the MVC is a premier FCS conference, but conference affiliation/college athletics is about more than sports!

I don't see a single MVC school that is a true peer.

NDSU1980
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Big North

UNI
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State

Travel Partners
UNI-Minn State
UND-NDSU
USD-SDSU
montana-Montana State

UND?????

I main reason I can see going MVC is get away from UND, since apparently the Summit is willing to lower their standards and let the F Trucks in. Hell, if we have UND going with us to the Valley, we might as well stay where we are and just watch the neighborhood go to down hill.

ndsubison1
07-10-2009, 06:05 PM
need a much better resume if we want to get into the MVC... i agree with student, only way to get in would be if they wanted to go to FBS football or possibly if a few teams left

HerdBot
07-15-2009, 02:27 AM
With the recent talk of Centenary bolting from the Summit, it got me a little concerned about NDSU's well-being in the scheme of things in our conference. I guess from what I read that there are Summit sports whose autobids will be threatened by Centenary's departure. It got me to thinking about the recent giving up by our athletic department on a new basketball arena. I think there still needs to be some kind of drive to 1) Get a new basketball arena built and 2) Make out baseball program respectable. If we accomplish these things, with already having one of the best minor league parks in the Midwest, the MVC's two biggest sports, basketball and baseball, would be well-represented at NDSU, and we could then be sufficiently considered for an invite to the Valley if talks of expansion comes up. I have always believed that the Summit will not be our permanent home, and sometime next decade we will upgrade, probably likely to the MVC.

What are your thoughts on this?? If anyone here thinks NDSU doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the MVC in the next 10-15 years, please explain why. (We have the fan base, resources, population, money, etc. already in place)

We would have a good chance of getting into the MVC. Our reputation is great and with a new BSA, our facilities are up to par.

Is the MVC the best option?

I'm not sure. With USD and eventually UND, it really strengthens the conference and the Dakota's would be the dominant area. Lots of great rivalries and stability. We would be putting the core of the NCC back together. With W. Illinois and SDSU, we have the same football confernence affiliation. Throw in 2 great teams like Oral Roberts and Oakland, and we're a rock solid league. And one we can win.

What can of MVC offer?

Rivalries with teams we play in football like UNI, SIU, Illinois State, and Indiana State. I'm not sure Creighton or Bradley are much of an upgrade over ORU and Oakland.

So what is better? Playing UNI, SIU, Illinois State or not playing the Dakota schools, who ultimately will be the best draw, and ORU and Oakland.

I think the Summitt is going to be great!

Both look very attractive but I think we best start plaing some of those MVC teams on our non confernence schedule and develop some good rivalries.

Hammersmith
07-15-2009, 03:02 AM
The Summit is one of the better low-major conferences. With a ton of work, it could become a below-average mid-major conference. The MVC is either the best mid-major conference or one of the lowest high-major conferences. Leaders at NDSU would have to undergo lobotomies to choose the Summit over the MVC if it were ever an option.

With a complete BSA renovation, our overall facility situation would be a bit below average in the MVC. We would definitely need a new BB arena, as even a renovated BSA would be far below the worst BB facility in the Valley. The only two facilities even close to the same ballpark as a renovated BSA are either being replaced(Evansville) or rebuilt(SIU).

SamsRams
07-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Moorhead.

(Ducks and covers)

yeah that is silly. Obviously the poster means Crookston!!

HerdBot
07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
The Summit is one of the better low-major conferences. With a ton of work, it could become a below-average mid-major conference. The MVC is either the best mid-major conference or one of the lowest high-major conferences. Leaders at NDSU would have to undergo lobotomies to choose the Summit over the MVC if it were ever an option.

With a complete BSA renovation, our overall facility situation would be a bit below average in the MVC. We would definitely need a new BB arena, as even a renovated BSA would be far below the worst BB facility in the Valley. The only two facilities even close to the same ballpark as a renovated BSA are either being replaced(Evansville) or rebuilt(SIU).

Wow your right. Honesly, I didn't know much about the BB conference facilities but I checked them out and they are SWEET! A renovated BSA would easily be the worst facility in the league. Heck, a dome addition would have only put them on par. Even Illinois State has a fabulous facility. Wow! We would definitely need a dome addition to get in unless they can raise a lot more cash for the BSA! Need some more donors!

tjbison
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Wow your right. Honesly, I didn't know much about the BB conference facilities but I checked them out and they are SWEET! A renovated BSA would easily be the worst facility in the league. Heck, a dome addition would have only put them on par. Even Illinois State has a fabulous facility. Wow! We would definitely need a dome addition to get in unless they can raise a lot more cash for the BSA! Need some more donors!

Check out Missouri St. new BBall Facility now thats a Freaking WOW!!

http://jqharena.missouristate.edu/

Bison bison
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
No doubt.

The Missouri Valley is no mid-major conference.

BisBison
07-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Check out Missouri St. new BBall Facility now thats a Freaking WOW!!

http://jqharena.missouristate.edu/

$64 Million!!! One donor ponied up for $30 big ones! Damn it would be nice to be able to do that.

WYOBISONMAN
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
We better be content in the Summit. I don't see any MVC doors opening at all in the near term.

mebisonII
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
$64 Million!!! One donor ponied up for$30 big ones! Damn it would be nice to be able to do that.

I can do that! I've got $5 in my pockets right now and I can hit the ATM across the street for the other $25! Let's do this!

BearsCountry
07-17-2009, 02:24 AM
I would say you guys would be on a short list for Valley expansion. If they go the football route - you and SDSU make a ton of sense. You are carbon clones of us and UNI. The #1 target is SLU, but they want no part of it. Butler isnt too thrilled about joining the MVC as well, mainly bc our teams always end up beating them. I would say follow our stragety, we wanted in the MVC when we moved up but they said no. What did we do? Kicked the crap out of the Mid-Con and then it was the MVC who came calling to us. Also WIU and Youngstown wont be in the MVC, all of the MVC schools dont want them at all. Adding you and SDSU was the first time other than WKU that we got schools in the football side that could be added to the all-sports league. Just dominate the Summit and upgrade your facilities and I think your chances are very good.

06panther10
07-17-2009, 04:25 AM
You guys need to remember, the MVC does not care about football. Its pretty much a completely different organization.

I don't think the MVC is looking to expand anytime in the near future. Unless some school leaves, and I don't see any potential candidates for that at this point. Saint Louis has always been rumored to be the most likely school to join the MVC.

NDSUFan_Sav
07-17-2009, 07:33 AM
We have the basketball facilities in place?

didn't you get started on it with that donation ;)

Herd
07-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is pining for Denver to the Summit. Their sports mix is eclectic and it doesn't match up at all. Yes, I'd rather have Denver than Centenary or Utah Valley, but that doesn't say much.

THEsocalledfan
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I certainly understand the allure of Missouri Valley, and my sources tell me NDSU would jump at it if ever offered.

However, I am very pleased at what is happening in the Summitt as long as they can retain the men/women's auto bids. It feels like the "real" NCC is reforming with none of the imposters that we used to have to put up with (see Morningside, St. Cloud, Mankato, Augie, etc.....) The 4 dakota's make for excellent stability.

My feeling is NDSU can't lose. Staying in Summit is just fine, and if they get the arena figured out, they will be attractive to MVC if ever an opening.

BlueLiner
07-29-2009, 06:34 PM
The push for the Bison is to become a solid member of the SL. Winning the SL Tourney and going to the NCAA for one season is great. But being a solid program, one that wins on a consistent basis, is another story.

North Side
08-07-2009, 10:13 PM
My feeling is NDSU can't lose. Staying in Summit is just fine, and if they get the arena figured out, they will be attractive to MVC if ever an opening.

Well said!!!

DjKyRo
08-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Indeed. For the time being it looks like we're in the Summit for a bit, but if that means the basketball team can score a few more automatic bids to the Dance, I don't see that as too much of a negative.