PDA

View Full Version : USA Outdoor Nationals & Juniors

Hammersmith
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
edit: I missed a whole bunch of NDSU athletes the first couple times. A complete list of Dakota entries is at the bottom.

Laura and Whitney are trying to make the US National Team this weekend in Eugene, Oregon. The members of this team will represent the USA in the World Championships held August 15-23 in Berlin.

On Thursday, Laura placed 10th in the prelims and qualified for the semis tonight. Her time of 2:04.68 was 0.29 sec off the heat leaders at 2:04.39 on a windy race day. Laura will compete in the semis at 7:55 CST tonight and again at 3:45 on Sunday if she qualifies.

Whitney Carlson is trying to make the team in the long jump. As there are no prelims or semis in that event, she will go straight to the finals at 2:30 on Sunday.

Laura Roesler will also be competing this weekend in the USA Juniors, which is held simultaneously. Her first round will be at 4:20 on Saturday, and her final will be at 6:15 on Sunday.

USA Track & Field website (http://www.usatf.org/)
Combined Schedule & Results (http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/USAOutdoorTFChampionships/schedule.asp)

TV Schedule:
ESPN, June 26, 8:00 - 9:00 p.m. CT
ESPN, June 27, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. CT
NBC, June 28, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.CT

USA Outdoor Nationals:
NDSU
Laura Hermanson - 800m run - placed 10th in the prelims on Thursday - will compete in the semis tonight at 7:55(CT) - finals at 3:45 on Sunday
Whitney Carlson - long jump - will compete Sunday at 2:30(no prelims or semis, just the final)
Amanda Thieschafer(former Bison) - triple jump - will compete tonight at 6:50 in the finals

SDSU
Ben Jasinski - triple jump - finished 17th yesterday evening in the finals - looks like he had some bad luck and fouled on his first and third attempts

USA Outdoor Juniors:
NDSU
Kristen Killoran - long jump & triple jump - will compete at 12:30 Saturday and 5:00 Sunday, respectively
Travis Fitzke - 1500m run - will compete at 1:20 on Saturday with a possible final at 5:15 on Sunday

Fargo South HS
Laura Roesler - 800m run - will compete at 4:20 on Saturday with a possible final at 6:15 on Sunday

West Fargo HS
Ellie Grooters - 400m hurdles - will compete at 2:00 on Saturday with a possible final at 5:55 on Sunday

tony
06-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I kinda thought Leslie Brost was competing this weekend too.

Hammersmith
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM
I kinda thought Leslie Brost was competing this weekend too.

Nope. I searched both start lists for Brost and nothing came up. She also isn't in any of the GoBison press releases. And thank you very much for scaring me(I had to rewrite this thing about ten times this morning here and at SDSUFans because I kept missing people). ;)

bison duff
06-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Leslie provisionally qualified at the B standard of 4.20 meters. Twenty-two women hit the A standard of 4.25 meters so Leslie didn't quite get in.

Bisonguy
06-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Laura ran a 2:02.44 in the semis.

Don't know the difference between the 'Q' and 'q', and really don't understand why her time is listed at 7, while there are slower times above her. :confused:

tcbison
06-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Laura ran a 2:02.44 in the semis.

Don't know the difference between the 'Q' and 'q', and really don't understand why her time is listed at 7, while there are slower times above her. :confused:

I believe the top three in the heat get the big Q and then the next 2 fastest times get the q. Anyone with a Q or q make it to the final. Looks like to me Laura made the final but was in the faster heat because her time was much better than some of the Q times. So Laura finished 4th in her heat but qualified by time not by place.

Good luck to Laura in the finals!

Hammersmith
06-27-2009, 02:35 AM
I believe the top three in the heat get the big Q and then the next 2 fastest times get the q. Anyone with a Q or q make it to the final. Looks like to me Laura made the final but was in the faster heat because her time was much better than some of the Q times. So Laura finished 4th in her heat but qualified by time not by place.

Good luck to Laura in the finals!

You are correct. Think autobid vs. at-large; often several at-large selections are better than some of the autobids.

Still waiting on the women's triple jump results to see how former Bison Amanda Thieschafer performed.

Also, Bison assistant coach Rachel Longfors competed in the discus and finished 8th with a seasonal and US Championship personal best of 184-8.

sambini
06-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Good luck Laura++++

westnodak93bison
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Amanda Thieschafer 6th in Triple Jump-- congrats
Rachel Longfors- 8th in discus- congrats

Hammersmith
06-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Kristen fouls on her first two tries and gets a 19-00.5 on her third. That puts her well down the list(leader at 20-02.25). The webcast is utterly worthless. They actually showed the ENTIRE jr men's 10km walk - all 50min of it.

Whoops, got to take a bit of that back. Kristen's distance was good enough for 8th and a place in the finals(about 10min from now). Webcast still sucks, though.

Hammersmith
06-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Kristen finishes 8th in the jr. long jump. She'll be back tomorrow in the jr. triple jump.

Ellie Grooters from WFHS finished 3rd in her heat in the jr. 400m hurdles. Have to wait to see if she makes the finals. - Nope, must've just missed the cut(yep, she was 9th & they took 8).

Travis Fitzke is up next in the jr 1500m run at 3:20.

Hammersmith
06-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I think Travis qualified for the finals in the jr 1500m run. As soon as the results are posted I'll know for sure. Yep, he finished 10th and they took 12. Congrats. Laura Roesler is up next at 4:20.

BTW, which of you ordered the hurricane that's hitting Fargo right now?

Hammersmith
06-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, Roesler kicked ass in her heat. She drafted the leader until the final turn and then blew by her for the win. Her time was a bit slow(2:10.95), but
that don't matter when you got the autobid in your pocket.

Tomorrow's Schedule:

2:30 Whitney Carlson long jump
3:45 Laura Hermanson 800m run
5:00 Kristen Killoran triple jump(jr)
5:15 Travis Fitzke 1500m run(jr)
6:15 Laura Roesler 800m run(jr)

Castor Troy
06-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Well, Roesler kicked ass in her heat. She drafted the leader until the final turn and then blew by her for the win. Her time was a bit slow(2:10.95), but
that don't matter when you got the autobid in your pocket.

Tomorrow's Schedule:

2:30 Whitney Carlson long jump
3:45 Laura Hermanson 800m run
5:00 Kristen Killoran triple jump(jr)
5:15 Travis Fitzke 1500m run(jr)
6:15 Laura Roesler 800m run(jr)

The videostreaming on Roesler's race was not too bad. She looked very relaxed and professional. She is ready to blow some serious doors.

Bisonguy
06-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Looks like Laura will be running in about 20 minutes.

Hopefully they actually cover the entire race this time. :banghead:

tcbison
06-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks like Laura will be running in about 20 minutes.

Hopefully they actually cover the entire race this time. :banghead:

I have my doubts that they will but heres hoping they do.

JackJD
06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
It appears the USATF website is not carrying streaming video. It states the video is on NBC and audio is on flowtrack. I'm concerned NBC won't carry the race...they're showing the 200m semis which were run about 10 minutes or so earlier.

JackJD
06-28-2009, 08:48 PM
You can listen to live audio on Flotrack....here's a link. Laura's race is being announced right now: lane assignments etc.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/USAOutdoorTFChampionships/streaming.asp

JackJD
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Laura is in position 7...name just announced.

Hey, it's on TV! Looks like we'll see the entire race live!

Hermanson is wearing the NDSU green uniform.

JackJD
06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Hermanson running in 7th position at the first lap .... she's starting to move, swinging to the outside.

JackJD
06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Official: 5th place in 2:01.28. Another personal best. She competed well in a tough field.

JackJD
06-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Some of the runners, after completing their senior seasons, will pick up a new uniform from a sponsor while others may wear their "old" college uniform. Laura ran in the NDSU green and is listed as running for North Dakota State University on the official results. Good advertising for the Bison.

tcbison
06-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Glad to see the race. Laura was 5th at 2:01:28. Another great time for Laura!

sambini
06-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Official: 5th place in 2:01.28. Another personal best. She competed well in a tough field.
Well done++++++++++++

Hammersmith
06-29-2009, 02:51 PM
USA Outdoor Nationals & Juniors Wrap-up:

Rachel Longfors coach 8th in the discus finals

Amanda Thieschafer former 6th in the triple jump finals
Laura Hermanson senior 5th in the 800m run finals
Whitney Carlson soph 11th in the long jump finals
Kristen Killoran fresh 8th in the junior long jump finals
Kristen Killoran fresh 12th in the junior triple jump prelims
Travis Fitzke fresh 11th in the junior 1500m run finals

Laura Roesler(FSHS) junior 2nd in the junior 800m run finals

Ellie Grooters(WFHS) junior 9th in the junior 400m hurdle prelims

Ben Jasinski(SDSU) junior 17th in the triple jump prelims

Hammersmith
06-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Here's a question to those of you that know track well(Tony, Caster Troy, JackJD, etc). Does Laura's new personal record count as the new NDSU school record? She ran attached to NDSU and it was obviously a sanctioned event, but it wasn't a collegiate event and Laura graduated prior to the race(or at least she ran out of NCAA eligibility). Do any of you know if this one goes into our record books?

JackJD
06-30-2009, 02:14 AM
My two-cents:

Probably not. School records are generally up to the individual school. I do not believe there's a uniform system or uniform regulation of school track and field records. Some would say the media has more input on school records than the school. Most schools probably follow a similar practice of recognizing records as long as a student athlete is eligible. A few hypotheticals:

Student eligible as a freshman but redshirts as a sophomore and during soph redshirt-season, tops the school record. I'm not aware of any school that would count that as a record.

Student running in an AAU meeting during the summer between Soph and Junior years, tops the school record. Many school will count it...I'd even guess most schools will count it. Not sure what the practice would be at NDSU. (This is pretty typical in high school...some high schools will count records for a month or so after graduation!)

In Laura's case, her eligibility has been completed so I don't think it'll be counted as a school record. There's precedent. E.g.: I watched Mike Slack run sub-4 at BSA (without double-checking, think it was Feb or March, 1975). He was out of eligibility, having used up his last eligible season the prior spring. It's a BSA record but not a school record. (It was damned impressive, too.)

Laura has the potential to continue to improve. Many middle and long-distance runners, male and female, do not peak until late 20s. So, where should the cutoff be for an athlete setting school records? I won't be surprised to hear, if Hermanson sticks with it, that she goes under 2:00 in the next year. She has a busy summer coming up (wedding) which presents her with some difficult personal choices including how much time she wants to spend running in Europe this summer. If she hits it hard in Europe, she'll be 2:00 by August just based on becoming more savvy and experience. If she gets a little stronger, the strength + experience + becoming more savvy = ??? who knows? Cutting two more seconds is clearly within her reach.

airwaveslave
06-30-2009, 03:23 AM
I think if she's still able to wear the Bison uniform, then it's going to be a school record but I'm not positive.

Two years ago, Jake Januszewski, ran a 3k steeple after the collegiate season was done (not sure exactly when, but I think sometime in June 2007). He ran 8:48, wearing a Bison uniform and it stands as the school record.

airwaveslave
06-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Here's video of a few of the races

Laura H's 800 prelim
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235247/189386
*the video of the final isn't up for some reason (edit - probably because it was on national TV)

Travis Fitzke's 1500 prelim
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235033/190033
Fitzke's 1500 final
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235033/190405

Laura Roesler's 800 prelim
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235033/190053
Laura R's 800 final
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235033/190554
*Roesler could have easily won that race had she gone out harder on the first lap and not let Chanelle Price gap the field

airwaveslave
06-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Interviews too...

Laura H after prelims
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235031-2009-usa-outdoor-track-field-championships-sr-interviews/189883-laura-hermanson-800-semis-usa-outdoor-championships

Laura R after prelims
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235248-2009-usatf-junior-championships-interviews/190074-laura-roesler-800-prelims-usa-junior-outdoor-championships
Laura R after finals
http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235248-2009-usatf-junior-championships-interviews/190483-laura-roesler-jr-800-2nd-usa-junior-outdoor-championships

Castor Troy
06-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Here's a question to those of you that know track well(Tony, Caster Troy, JackJD, etc). Does Laura's new personal record count as the new NDSU school record? She ran attached to NDSU and it was obviously a sanctioned event, but it wasn't a collegiate event and Laura graduated prior to the race(or at least she ran out of NCAA eligibility). Do any of you know if this one goes into our record books?

They are accepting her performance as a new school record. Walter Dix from Florida State ran a personal best in the US Trials of 9.80 in the 100 and it was not accepted as their school record. Which leads me to believe that it is not only up to the school to decide which record stands, but it is up to the coach to decide. I know that the outdoor record for the high jump at NDSU should have been shared with a troubled young man from Valley City, but because he had repeated run-ins with the law- including a night in jail the day before the team traveled to nationals- he was never recognized. So there is no set rule- only precedent.

Hammersmith
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks, guys.

tony
07-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Just to be clear, I'm no track expert (just a fan), but the 800 record before Hermanson broke it, was set by Kinsey Coles at a non-collegiate track meet so, with that as a precedent, Hermanson's time at the US championships should count. OTOH, Kinsey Coles was a special case since her season was so short because NDSU was unable to go to the NCAA regional and national championships.

IzzyFlexion
07-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I don't believe that this has been posted so...........

http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?do=videos&event_id=580&video_id=14796#video

Women's 800 meter final. Strange to see Geena Gall running in anything but Michigan blue.