PDA

View Full Version : Dante Perez

Pages : [1] 2 3

KTF
06-22-2009, 12:44 PM
An update by Steve Hallstrom per Bison Media Blog.

Spoke briefly to Dante Perez today, the junior college QB from San Jose who visited NDSU a week and a half ago.

He still has not decided what he'll do next year. He has not taken any other visits, and does not have any trips lined up yet.

Hard to know what will happen here. On one hand it's almost July and he has no other options to continue playing on someone else's dime. So you'd think he might want to take advantage of the offer that's on the table.

On the other hand, the fact that he's not accepted Bohl's offer means he has a major hangup with NDSU, considering the reasons listed above. There must be something he's not comfortable with.

If you're Craig Bohl, I think you have to move on and find another guy. If Perez ends up wanting to come, I think you take them both. Goodness knows QB's at NDSU seem to have a short shelf life.

And as much as some will be glad to see Nick Mertens leave, be careful what you wish for. At least he's stable, committed, and seems to understand that there is a legal system in this country. And that there's a head coach who's ready to send you packing if you cross paths with it.

CaBisonFan
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
An update by Steve Hallstrom per Bison Media Blog.

Besides what are probably the obvious concerns about living up in the north country, I wonder if the reason for hesitation is that he wants to start for two years...almost with a guarantee. I'm assuming that Dante would have two years of eligibility left. So let's also assume that Nick will get the nod to begin the year...then that would appear to be a problem.

Dante won't get a guarantee from Bohl. I wouldn't give it to him either...no matter how good he looks on the videos.

That would be my 'take' on the situation. Thanks KFT. Keep posting.:nod:

bisondad
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM
"And as much as some will be glad to see Nick Mertens leave, be careful what you wish for. At least he's stable, committed, and seems to understand that there is a legal system in this country. And that there's a head coach who's ready to send you packing if you cross paths with it."

Pretty good quote

THEsocalledfan
06-22-2009, 02:50 PM
"And as much as some will be glad to see Nick Mertens leave, be careful what you wish for. At least he's stable, committed, and seems to understand that there is a legal system in this country. And that there's a head coach who's ready to send you packing if you cross paths with it."

Pretty good quote

I wish I could give him rep points for that, so, as it is, Bisondad get's them!

CaBisonFan
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I wish I could give him rep points for that, so, as it is, Bisondad get's them!

I 'ditto' that. :nod:

IzzyFlexion
06-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I'll give you 10 to 1 there's a broad involved.

EndZoneQB
06-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Mother nature, as in winter...then yeah, probably...

ndsubison1
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM
is there really much else out there other than this guy?

Jdubs21
06-23-2009, 12:38 AM
whatever happened with that QB we offered who was waiting for tennessee?

Scooter1
06-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Jesus..it must be a slow news day when a reporter has to call a JC athlete to see which way he was leaning. Just leave the kid alone. There is a lot to consider when going to the next level in school...

1. location
2. family
3. college / career interests
4. are his ducks in a row at JC school?
5. shit we don't know about....

Report the news, stay the hell out of trying to help the news along, please.

TransAmBison
06-23-2009, 01:42 AM
I have to disagree with Scooter on this one. I say good job trying to keep people informed. This is a topic that holds a lot of interest in the community. Keep up the good work Steve!

SamsRams
06-23-2009, 01:55 AM
I have to disagree with Scooter on this one. I say good job trying to keep people informed. This is a topic that holds a lot of interest in the community. Keep up the good work Steve!

100% agreed. In Bison country, there is no bigger news then landing a QB right now.

Mr. Burgundy
06-23-2009, 02:08 AM
From what I have heard, this kid is a legit talent....and has really played well at the JUCO level after leaving San Jose State. (He turned down Boise State and Oregon State...so he is good). He tested very good here and has a great head on his shoulders. I hope he comes here, he would compete to start, but the clock has to be ticking.

CaBisonFan
06-23-2009, 02:28 AM

And besides...he might have a girlfriend. :D

(sorry Izzy...just kiddin around)

bisonmike2
06-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Jesus..it must be a slow news day when a reporter has to call a JC athlete to see which way he was leaning. Just leave the kid alone. There is a lot to consider when going to the next level in school...

1. location
2. family
3. college / career interests
4. are his ducks in a row at JC school?
5. shit we don't know about....

Report the news, stay the hell out of trying to help the news along, please.

To be fair this is the first dry spell in a while and really the first time they've had to press for stories. Earlier this year if Jeff or Steve wanted to get a story on NDSU football all they had to do was check out the previous night's police blotter.:banghead:

GradBison
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
There's more than enough interest to justify the blog entry, I for one was wondering what was going on with this recruit and appreciate the update. Coach Bohl's twitter page has been silent for a few weeks now.

THEsocalledfan
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Ditto. Also, there is a reason this was on a blog, not in the newspaper. It is not yet print worthy.

Scooter1
06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Ditto. Also, there is a reason this was on a blog, not in the newspaper. It is not yet print worthy.

Fair enough. However, once you blog it...it is in print.

We agree to disagree.:cheers:

THEsocalledfan
06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Fair enough. However, once you blog it...it is in print.

We agree to disagree.:cheers:

This could turn into a great philosphical argument. I see blogs as a place where more opinions/rumors can be discussed that are not verified by facts. Advantage is you can quickly get tons of eyes reviewing the content and often, things can be quickly vetted or dismissed. Down side is that many see written words as the "Bible." I think that is some of what Scooter is getting at.

I guess I keep the two separate in my head and feel that major news organization need to vet a story prior to actual newpaper print or broadcast. On the contrary side, blogs may often beat them to the punch (see the George W. Bush national guard service 60 Minutes story that blogs completely exposed as erroneous before any other news organization did).

I just hope in today's day and age, the younger generation does not see blogs as Gospel. (That is kind of like relying on the National Enquirer; sometimes they are right, often they are wrong as is often seen on this board.) Does today's generation understand this?

westnodak93bison
06-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Seems like he could be a good fit.

MinotBison
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Seems like he could be a good fit.

And we haven't yet heard that he isn't coming.

CaBisonFan
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
This could turn into a great philosphical argument. I see blogs as a place where more opinions/rumors can be discussed that are not verified by facts. Advantage is you can quickly get tons of eyes reviewing the content and often, things can be quickly vetted or dismissed. Down side is that many see written words as the "Bible." I think that is some of what Scooter is getting at.

I guess I keep the two separate in my head and feel that major news organization need to vet a story prior to actual newpaper print or broadcast. On the contrary side, blogs may often beat them to the punch (see the George W. Bush national guard service 60 Minutes story that blogs completely exposed as erroneous before any other news organization did).

I just hope in today's day and age, the younger generation does not see blogs as Gospel. (That is kind of like relying on the National Enquirer; sometimes they are right, often they are wrong as is often seen on this board.) Does today's generation understand this?

I agree with this. Let me add...do most people realize that cable news and talk-radio have little to do with real news...no matter what your political outlook...and no matter what station? Which, IMO, has affected the way that sports writers and broadcasters do their work.

Scooter1
06-25-2009, 02:21 AM

This is an interresting argument. I tend to hold blogs written by individuals in areas (ie. sportswriters) to a higher level of credibility than a blog written by someone from the general public. Especially when the blogger states on numerous occasions while they are in the capacity of their job that this blog site is out there for people to read. I would hope that a serious professional that has a blog site would feel that his blogs are considerred of a higher standard than the national enquirer. The blog is not what I originally had a problem with. I feel that reporters (especially area reporters covering a local college) should leave the correspondence in the hands of the coaches. Although I know that one of our local reporters would never intentionally put a negative spin on NDSU you never know how a kid is going to react to a misunderstood question or comment by the media. For example, If an interiewer stated that NDSU is really high on a player, then later in the conversation implies that NDSU has been looking for a while and has had no success getting QB transfers to come to NDSU, the kid may take that kind of comment in a negative light. He may feel doubt about wether he really is on the top of NDSU's list or just a last ditch option. I would rather they kept in constant contact with the coaching staff and left the kid alone to make the decision with no outside interference. The fact that there are 1000 or so of us die hard fans who want our football fix is secondary to me.

Once again, you are all free to disagree.

I like how this kid looks. I hope he decides to be a Bison.

A1pigskin
06-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Is Dante any good????????????

4mcruenomore
06-30-2009, 04:18 AM
At this point, who cares, it's so late in the year IMO. Thorton will clear things up next year, let's shoot for that?!? 'Bout time for a ND QB to lead things. Search youtube, guess what, no videos. IT's a smash mouth running/throwing QB that can take a hit, and give them. No flashy SH*T, it's about north dakota football. People have lost perspective IMFO. Get down in the trenches, a QB that plays defense half of the time, to me that's pretty cool.

KTF
06-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Per Hallstrom's Arevoices Blog, sounds like he is still considering the scholarship and is "leaning towards coming"

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

westnodak93bison
06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
long way from home but..... Orbitz flight quote for homecoming weekend
San Jose to Fargo $230 round trip..... pretty reasonable....

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewFlightSearchResults?retrieveParams=true&z=9fd1&r=jg&z=9fd3&r=ji&lastPage=interstitial

Bison"FANatic"
06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Ya it is a long way from home but welcome to the real world life doesn't just happen 10 miles from home. I just hope he makes his decision soon as we need a backup at least and hopefully someone to push Mertens. To many red flags for me on this kid just not seeing leadership in his actions. Just my opinion. Hopefully he makes a decision so we can either get him working with the team or our coaches can move on. This isn't a problem with a unlimited timeframe to solve. The clock is ticking.

Kermit
06-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Per Hallstrom's Arevoices Blog, sounds like he is still considering the scholarship and is "leaning towards coming"

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

That's good news! We are still in the game..

bisonhusker
06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I hope the kid comes and has an open competition to start. Good Luck

Kermit
06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Ya it is a long way from home but welcome to the real world life doesn't just happen 10 miles from home. I just hope he makes his decision soon as we need a backup at least and hopefully someone to push Mertens. To many red flags for me on this kid just not seeing leadership in his actions. Just my opinion. Hopefully he makes a decision so we can either get him working with the team or our coaches can move on. This isn't a problem with a unlimited timeframe to solve. The clock is ticking.

Likewise, just my opinion--but I disagree. The people who know him best have characterized him as a great young man and a leader. I think he is being very deliberate about making a potentially life-changing decision. He is taking his own values and preferences into account. I respect that. If he chooses NDSU, we will know it wasn't an impulsive decision. Several years ago, it took Brett Winkelman months to decide to accept NDSU's offer of a basketball scholarship. He was another guy who wasn't going to make an impulsive decision. I think that worked out OK. :)

Bison bison
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Ya it is a long way from home but welcome to the real world life doesn't just happen 10 miles from home.

me and G.K. Chesterton disagree with you: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/8trtr10.txt

To many red flags for me on this kid just not seeing leadership in his actions.

What red flags? You mean that he's taking the time to make what is probably the biggest decision of his life up until this point? You're going to slander the kid because he's taking his time? Good heavens.

This isn't a problem with a unlimited timeframe to solve. The clock is ticking.

First off, this isn't a problem. It's a decision. Second, the clock is ticking louder for NDSU than it is for Dante.

AEBison1998
06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm siding with anyone who quotes Chesterton! Period.
:)

Give the guy some time. I would think twice about moving to Idaho for instance. (nothing against Idaho...thanks for helping keep the Canadians at bay....we're with you.)

OldBison
06-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Second, the clock is ticking louder for NDSU than it is for Dante.

Not sure that's true.

Dante has no other offers, Hallstrom's post before this one indicated his coaches were trying to line up some other schools to take a look at him. If that had actually happened I am sure he wouldn't be leaning towards NDSUs offer.

Steve also quoted Dante earlier as saying that Bohl told him he needed to know in a relatively short time frame so they could move onto their next choice.

Me thinks Dante's chance for a scholarship and a quality education is ticking just as loudly as NDSUs clock for a backup QB. Sounds to me as though both entities could help each other out and that the relationship could be mutually beneficial.

Bison"FANatic"
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey just my opinion. I hope I am totally wrong about the kid. But it is July. If you are a HS kid looking at schools and not making a decision until signing day or later in the spring is one thing but that is not the case. He is a Juco who has had plenty of time. As for slandering the kid I did nothing of the sort not even close I just called it like I see it. For one thing what kind of competition are we going against for him. I havn't been able to find anything on anyone else offering. That makes me go hmm. I totally agree and I am no coach or talent scout but I wasn't impressed with his size and his highlight tape for the offense we run. You can say a D1 school recruited him, but they were going to move him out of the QB position. I hope he comes here and lights up the field and I have to eat a big plate of crow (BBQ'd preferrably).

As for the clock ticking, That is exactly what I meant it is ticking for NDSU not for him. Have you heard of any other visits from QB's? If he doesn't commit it leaves us what 45 days to find a back up QB and then he is going to have limited time working with the team during the summer. Otherwise we are going into Iowa state with a QB who we hope is improved and a true freshman. We are one play in practice away from having NO backup QB.

Bison bison
06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
As for slandering the kid I did nothing of the sort not even close I just called it like I see it.

Please enumerate the red flags.

Bison53
06-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Any Juco should be committed by now and be involved in
summer work outs if he is serious about fall play.

Bison"FANatic"
06-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Please enumerate the red flags.

Size, other school not going to play him at the QB position, Lack of other offers and not being commited at this time to a team, main reason for not commiting yet not wanting to leave his family???? They are red flags for me. At least it isn't red flags of the law breaking type with what we have went through this spring. I hope he comes and tears it up but I have my reservations.

Bison bison
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM
And any legitimate college football program should have more than two quarterbacks on the roster and yet here we are.

Bison bison
06-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Size, other school not going to play him at the QB position, Lack of other offers and not being commited at this time to a team, main reason for not commiting yet not wanting to leave his family????

so he's short and doesn't have any other offers. you ever met ben woodside or joe mays?

taking time in making his decision, waiting for a better offer; putting an emphasis on family - leads you to question his ability to leader?

well, i guess.

Bison"FANatic"
06-30-2009, 06:56 PM
so he's short and doesn't have any other offers. you ever met ben woodside or joe mays?

taking time in making his decision, waiting for a better offer; putting an emphasis on family - leads you to question his ability to leader?

well, i guess.

Different ball game both of them were coming out of high school and 5 years was had to develop their talent. Perez is coming out of Juco with only a few years to contribute. My opinion is a Juco should be good enough to step in from about day 1. Just curious to me that other schools don't see the upside of him. Just my opinion but it is a solid opinion

Bison bison
06-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Just curious to me that other schools don't see the upside of him.

Most schools aren't looking for a quarterback in July...

heckler
06-30-2009, 08:21 PM
wow bisonville has turned into a biatch fest.

BisonNeil
07-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Size,

I'll bet you any amount of money he's bigger than Mohler, but at LEAST an inch and 10 lbs.

CaBisonFan
07-01-2009, 03:57 AM
As for slandering the kid I did nothing of the sort not even close I just called it like I see it.

I went through the thread and saw nothing even close to slander. Dante certainly has the right to make a decision...or 'not' to make one...but I agree that it is very late in the process. It naturally raises questions. I was impressed with the videos and hope that he comes here, as long as he's interested in playing for a great program/tradition. With games coming up at Iowa State & Kansas, he'd get to play in a couple of big arenas. I believe that Dante has the potential to lead the Bison to a national title.

If he isn't interested in that kind of experience...then I hope that he stays in Cawlifornya. If he came...he'd be surprised by the level of play, the caliber of athletes, the size of the stage, and pretty much everything about the whole situation. If his coaches think that he'll find a better situation now...they're confused.

56BISON73
07-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Different ball game both of them were coming out of high school and 5 years was had to develop their talent. Perez is coming out of Juco with only a few years to contribute. My opinion is a Juco should be good enough to step in from about day 1. Just curious to me that other schools don't see the upside of him. Just my opinion but it is a solid opinion

I dont think it has to do with schools not seeing his upside but more to the fact that there arent that many slots available compared to the talent that is available. By the time you get to this point in the season most teams are pretty set on their teams. Most still have a list of potential players that they can contact in an emergency if a player gets kicked off, gets hurt or leaves the team. There are also alot of talented players out there who just get passed over and are looking for a chance.
Regardless it looks like its going to be crap shoot going in to the season. Lets hope that its not a crap shoot for the whole season.

bisonhusker
07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Bigger concern is what if Perez says NO. Then what? We have yet to bring in anyone behind him. I was under the impression we HAD to bring in someone else. I thought they would use that as leverage to make Perez make a decision....but since nobody is coming in to campus...what is his rush? I agree....he needs to make this decision. NOW. From what I heard from the people that met with him, he was FIRST CLASS. An amazing person with a crazy strong arm and very elusive on the drills. They loved the "dual threat" part of it.

I heard a rumor as to his stats last year, and they were HUGE. I never did look, but I guess he passed for a ton of yards. This kid turned down Boise State, Oregon State to sign with San Jose State (hometown team). This kid has talent. Plus, he is a GREAT kid. I want him bad. I think he is the type of kid that can come in and compete.....the anti-Troy Jackson. (Sidenote, anyone that goes by T-Jack....I don't like).

tjbison
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Bigger concern is what if Perez says NO. Then what? We have yet to bring in anyone behind him. I was under the impression we HAD to bring in someone else. I thought they would use that as leverage to make Perez make a decision....but since nobody is coming in to campus...what is his rush? I agree....he needs to make this decision. NOW. From what I heard from the people that met with him, he was FIRST CLASS. An amazing person with a crazy strong arm and very elusive on the drills. They loved the "dual threat" part of it.

I heard a rumor as to his stats last year, and they were HUGE. I never did look, but I guess he passed for a ton of yards. This kid turned down Boise State, Oregon State to sign with San Jose State (hometown team). This kid has talent. Plus, he is a GREAT kid. I want him bad. I think he is the type of kid that can come in and compete.....the anti-Troy Jackson. (Sidenote, anyone that goes by T-Jack....I don't like).

WE DO!!! Just for the sake of Depth we need someone

mebisonII
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Fall camp must start within a month or so, doesn't it? Sounds like a good kid, but its probably about time to get off the fence. Gotta think that if we had other prospects we'd be bringing them in by now. My assumption is that if we don't get Dante, then we are going with Mertens, Mohler, and the redshirts.

HandoEX
07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Fall camp must start within a month or so, doesn't it? Sounds like a good kid, but its probably about time to get off the fence. Gotta think that if we had other prospects we'd be bringing them in by now. My assumption is that if we don't get Dante, then we are going with Mertens, Mohler, and the redshirts.

Unfortunately, there are no redshirts.

I really like what I've seen in Perez and I think he's exactly the type of person the program needs riight now. I have a gut feeling that he will be a Bison very soon:nod:

BisonNeil
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Bigger concern is what if Perez says NO. Then what? We have yet to bring in anyone behind him. I was under the impression we HAD to bring in someone else.

Maybe Bohl needs to be a bit more proactive in his QB recruiting by taking the Kiffin approach?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/06/30/tennessee-berry/index.html

CaBisonFan
07-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Maybe Bohl needs to be a bit more proactive in his QB recruiting by taking the Kiffin approach?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/06/30/tennessee-berry/index.html

I understand the intensity of college football, and the urgency that the coaches feel...but it's just plain wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with the welfare of the kid.

Maybe we should start to genetically engineer football players and send them to football magnet schools for elementary kids. Each university could sponsor their own feeder schools, and the ones that can pay for the best scientists would win the national championship. Wouldn't even have to play the games. :cool:

It's an interesting article Neil, and no problem with posting it.

rutlandbison
07-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't think this kid is coming to NDSU. I'm almost certain he would've committed already if he was coming here.

BisonNeil
07-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I understand the intensity of college football, and the urgency that the coaches feel...but it's just plain wrong.

I totally agree with you. My posting it was a poor attempt at humor, Neil Humor, as my friend say.

Civil06
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I totally agree with you. My posting it was a poor attempt at humor, Neil Humor, as my friend say.

I liked the humor and took it as a shot at Kiffin, not a legitimate recruiting method to be employed by coach Bohl. Glad to see my sarcasm detector is not broken:nod:

Scooter1
07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I understand the intensity of college football, and the urgency that the coaches feel...but it's just plain wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with the welfare of the kid.

Maybe we should start to genetically engineer football players and send them to football magnet schools for elementary kids. Each university could sponsor their own feeder schools, and the ones that can pay for the best scientists would win the national championship. Wouldn't even have to play the games. :cool:

It's an interesting article Neil, and no problem with posting it.

Interresting...but I can't wait 18 years for your super players. How about we take the Chinese Govt approach to sports and take these kids away from their homes when they show a football aptitude at a young age. We can even get them to come in and run the program here in Fargo because they are pretty good at hiding their practices from governing sports agencies when it comes to athletics.

Hey...they have also been regarded as pretty damn good at building a great wall. Maybe we can get them to also fix the flood problem by building us a big wall by the Red River.

What was this thread about again?

Tatanka
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Interresting...but I can't wait 18 years for your super players. How about we take the Chinese Govt approach to sports and take these kids away from their homes when they show a football aptitude at a young age. We can even get them to come in and run the program here in Fargo because they are pretty good at hiding their practices from governing sports agencies when it comes to athletics.

Hey...they have also been regarded as pretty damn good at building a great wall. Maybe we can get them to also fix the flood problem by building us a big wall by the Red River.

What was this thread about again?

http://images.southparkstudios.com/img/content/characters/107a.jpg

Hewwo, yeah! I build you a shitty wall!!!

http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/611/611_img_04.jpg

Damn Mongolians!!! Think you're gonna flood my shitty, huh?

Scooter1
07-05-2009, 12:03 AM
For those that are panicking...

I know that Troy Jackson was a bust. We all know what his problem really was. That isn't my point. He did not commit to being a Bison until 6-30-08. It's only 7-4-09 so don't panick too much.

Andrew Fabre didn't come into the picture until 8-1-08.

CaBisonFan
07-05-2009, 03:26 AM

Sorry Neil...but I didn't ever intend to slam your article. I understood your 'intent.' I was totally into the sarcasm game too...but it probably wasn't written the best. Thanks for the 'read.' :nod:

Jdubs21
07-05-2009, 02:05 PM
i think we all need a group hug...i cant ever remember a time on bisonville where we have talked so negatively, i think all of us need an attitude adjustment

Scooter1
07-05-2009, 04:25 PM
i think we all need a group hug...i cant ever remember a time on bisonville where we have talked so negatively, i think all of us need an attitude adjustment

I think it was last year in late June shortly after Mitch Brecke left the team, Ryan Parsons graduated early, and we didn't have Jackson or Fabre. I'd like to say that the guys were worried over nothing; they weren't. It seems like we have a ton of people riding on the BisonNeil QB Express these days. I can't say that I blame them.

BisonNeil
07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
riding on the BisonNeil QB Express these days.

Is that what we are calling it now?

Nonetheless, I would like to see someone with the talents of a Dante Perez here now, learning the playbook. It doesn't have to be him, but someone who I think has his level of talent. Trouble is, as has been mentioned on this thread before, do they exist at this point?

I do think a solid backup QB would be what cures the conservative playcalling that evolved because the coaches were concerned about putting Mertens in harms way. I think only a quality backup will allow the coaches to confidently put Mertens in the kind of game plan that allows them to take advantage of his athleticism (sensu SDSU) that will allow him to be successful (and I don't think Fabry and a true freshman fit that bill and we don't know about Mohler yet). My concern is that without a quality backup it will be back to protecting Nick, like last year.

CaBisonFan
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
My concern is that without a quality backup it will be back to protecting Nick, like last year.

I agree. I always felt that part of Nick's problem was his 'knowing' that there was no one that could come in after him. He had the weight of the world on him...without real experience. The #1 ranking wasn't a good thing for him...or the team...and we had a huge bullseye on our back within the conference. First year in...and we were the favorites. It didn't sit well. We were everyone's Super Bowl.

56BISON73
07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I agree. I always felt that part of Nick's problem was his 'knowing' that there was no one that could come in after him. He had the weight of the world on him...without real experience. The #1 ranking wasn't a good thing for him...or the team...and we had a huge bullseye on our back within the conference. First year in...and we were the favorites. It didn't sit well. We were everyone's Super Bowl.

So what you are saying is he couldnt handle the pressure. But you first say there wasnt pressue because there wasnt anyone to push him. Hmmmm????
Not having an adequate backup wasnt the cause of his poor performance. It was poor decision making which lead poor performance. We wont get in to the fumbles and tripping over his own two feet.
Many QBs step in with NO experience and perform VERY VERY well. Why were we so blessed with a QB that couldnt??????? The excuse machine has got to stop. He didnt live up to his hype.
All we can hope for is he has gotten better while playing in a real game. Practice doesnt make it as we dont play NDSU this year.

Jdubs21
07-06-2009, 02:54 AM
I think it was last year in late June shortly after Mitch Brecke left the team, Ryan Parsons graduated early, and we didn't have Jackson or Fabre. I'd like to say that the guys were worried over nothing; they weren't. It seems like we have a ton of people riding on the BisonNeil QB Express these days. I can't say that I blame them.

no i was just trying to say that most of the attitudes on ehre sound like our season is already over and that were gonna only win 1 or 2 games... a little bison pride would be nice, we have a QB problem SO WHAT!!! we got 10 other guys on the offense to help pick him up, and a defense to create turn overs and score points

NDSU1980
07-06-2009, 03:38 AM
we have a QB problem SO WHAT!!! we got 10 other guys on the offense to help pick him up, and a defense to create turn overs and score points

What you are really saying is we have a 10 cylinder, 400 HP race car, but the 11th component, the transmission which gets all that power to the wheels is missing. Substitute QB for tranny and you can see what I'm getting at.

I had full faith in the team last year and watched one man let the whole season spiral out of control. This year we don't even have the big names like Roehl, Heckendorf, Wurtzbacker, and Jangula to make Mertens look somewhat impressive.

I think the Iowa State game is going to put this season into prospective pretty quickly for a lot of people.

unbison
07-06-2009, 04:15 AM
What you are really saying is we have a 10 cylinder, 400 HP race car, but the 11th component, the transmission which gets all that power to the wheels is missing. Substitute QB for tranny and you can see what I'm getting at.

I had full faith in the team last year and watched one man let the whole season spiral out of control. This year we don't even have the big names like Roehl, Heckendorf, Wurtzbacker, and Jangula to make Mertens look somewhat impressive.

I think the Iowa State game is going to put this season into prospective pretty quickly for a lot of people.

If you were a weather man you would predict a tornado everyday all summer long i would guess

CaBisonFan
07-06-2009, 04:17 AM
So what you are saying is he couldnt handle the pressure.

1. Having no backup is a problem for the team if the QB
isn't performing...as you stated so tactfully. It was
pretty damned obvious that there was a problem.

2. No backup for the player is a three-fold problem.
a. No one pushing him. (obvious)
b. No one to take his place...like a pitcher
that needs relief. Loaded bases...things aren't
working...game on the line.
c. If a QB doesn't perform...for whatever reason...
the implosion begins for the team. The pressure
builds.

3. Expecting Mertens to lead the Bison to meeting the pre-season expectations was unrealistic. He lacked the experience, maybe the talent, maybe the right offensive scheme...etc, etc.

Excuses...or facts? You could be right 73...but the above conditions were pretty obvious.

Nice fish. Where did you catch that?! It's a beauty.

56BISON73
07-06-2009, 04:37 AM
1. Having no backup is a problem for the team if the QB
isn't performing...as you stated so tactfully. It was
pretty damned obvious that there was a problem.

2. No backup for the player is a three-fold problem.
a. No one pushing him. (obvious)
b. No one to take his place...like a pitcher
that needs relief. Loaded bases...things aren't
working...game on the line.
c. If a QB doesn't perform...for whatever reason...
the implosion begins for the team. The pressure
builds.

3. Expecting Mertens to lead the Bison to meeting the pre-season expectations was unrealistic. He lacked the experience, maybe the talent, maybe the right offensive scheme...etc, etc.

Excuses...or facts? You could be right 73...but the above conditions were pretty obvious.

Nice fish. Where did you catch that?! It's a beauty.

:cool:

CA
#2a wasnt a problem IMO. The problems he displayed on the field werent caused by a lack of competition.
#3 Why couldnt we expect him to meet those expectations? He had been in the system for what 3 years going on 4? He knows the system. He was tearing it up in practice. He was MR FB in MN etc.
(we had Lakes guarantee:D ).
He wasnt recruited to have just one good year.

The point is in any other situation he would have been replaced if there was an adequate back up available. That happens when a player isnt meeting the expectations that were expected when they were recruited. No matter what position. Excuses dont matter. He didnt meet expectations.

The fish was caught at Lake Fork TX. Which is just south of Sulphur Springs. Abour 70 miles east of Dallas.

Scooter1
07-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Is that what we are calling it now?

Nonetheless, I would like to see someone with the talents of a Dante Perez here now, learning the playbook. It doesn't have to be him, but someone who I think has his level of talent. Trouble is, as has been mentioned on this thread before, do they exist at this point?

I do think a solid backup QB would be what cures the conservative playcalling that evolved because the coaches were concerned about putting Mertens in harms way. I think only a quality backup will allow the coaches to confidently put Mertens in the kind of game plan that allows them to take advantage of his athleticism (sensu SDSU) that will allow him to be successful (and I don't think Fabry and a true freshman fit that bill and we don't know about Mohler yet). My concern is that without a quality backup it will be back to protecting Nick, like last year.

Yep, that's what we are calling it. You were the first to stand tall pointing out this deficiency when we (I was one) stated not to worry, everything would be OK. Now, after a few years and a couple of bad turns we are sittting with just one functional QB on the roster for the start of the season. It wasn't meant to be a slam. It was pointing out that you were right, now everyone is jumping on board.

Superfan
07-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Substitute QB for tranny and you can see what I'm getting at.

That sounds like a "special" at the bunny ranch. :bow:

CaBisonFan
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
CA
#2a wasnt a problem IMO. The problems he displayed on the field werent caused by a lack of competition.
#3 Why couldnt we expect him to meet those expectations? He had been in the system for what 3 years going on 4? He knows the system. He was tearing it up in practice. He was MR FB in MN etc.
(we had Lakes guarantee:D ).
He wasnt recruited to have just one good year.

The point is in any other situation he would have been replaced if there was an adequate back up available. That happens when a player isnt meeting the expectations that were expected when they were recruited. No matter what position. Excuses dont matter. He didnt meet expectations.

The fish was caught at Lake Fork TX. Which is just south of Sulphur Springs. Abour 70 miles east of Dallas.

No point in taking this discussion any further. I see your side of the argument. Love that fish.

BisonNeil
07-06-2009, 08:11 PM
It was pointing out that you were right,

Great. I hope you and others realize I would have given anything to have been wrong.

But, to be honest, my concern years ago was not the concern that some, such as SDBison and NDSU1980 have today, which is the lack of talent in the current starter.

No, my concern was with the lack of QB recruiting (no QB recruit in 06 & 07) and the holes that were being created in the line up. My fear was that Mertens would get hurt and there would be no one to take his place. So, my QB concerns are a bit different from what many are saying.

For the record, I never questioned Mertens talent, I couldn't, I knew nothing about him. I just wasn't in favor of having no backups and simply annointing someone as the 'incumbent-to-be'.

I still think Mertens can be effective if they open up the playbook and I believe that will happen once they have a solid back up that can come in if Mertens gets dinged. If Mohler gets suspended for 3-4 games and there is no JUCO on the horizon then Vigen may be forced to be conservative in his play-calling to protect Nick, sensu Perles.

So, in retrospect, I am not sure just how right I was back then.

Bison bison
07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
If Mohler gets suspended for 3-4 games and there is no JUCO on the horizon then Vigen may be forced to be conservative in his play-calling to protect Nick, sensu Perles.

Way to show off with the Latin buddy.
:p

Bison"FANatic"
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Whoever we have behind center, we just need to cut down on the untimely turnovers and get us less three and out to give our D some time to recoup. The Qb has to be just good enough with the pass game to make opposing defense respect the pass and not stack the box. I think we can be very tough this year but I see it as being the Baltimore route (Great D So So O). We could have a very scary D this year and just need the Offense to keep us in the games and give us a lead and let the D keep it. I don't foresee us winning games 42-34 but more 14-10 games. The reason we are seeing such a range of emotions on here is nobody knows what to expect this year. We all want to win but there are a ton of question marks. I hope we go in and surprise Iowa state, I think they are switching to more spread and we have done pretty dang good agains spread offenses ;).

CaBisonFan
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Whoever we have behind center, we just need to cut down on the untimely turnovers and get us less three and out to give our D some time to recoup. The Qb has to be just good enough with the pass game to make opposing defense respect the pass and not stack the box.

Bullseye....bingo....etc. :nod:

bsking
07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Is this Dante guy possibly better than Mertens?

bisonhusker
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
ummm....Yes. I think he is a better leader (from what I am told) which makes it that important that we get a kid like this in here.

bsking
07-06-2009, 10:44 PM
ummm....Yes. I think he is a better leader (from what I am told) which makes it that important that we get a kid like this in here.
Well since I am from Minnesota I am pulling for Nick. I hope Bohl doesn't find anybody better cause that will ruin Nicks chances of being a star. So far Bohl is batting 0 finding a new QB so I think Nick is safe.

rutlandbison
07-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Well since I am from Minnesota I am pulling for Nick. I hope Bohl doesn't find anybody better cause that will ruin Nicks chances of being a star. So far Bohl is batting 0 finding a new QB so I think Nick is safe.
lol nice. I like your logic. I don't think there is any way that Mohler gets kicked off the team and will ultimately be the QB at some point this year. As for this Perez cat. He obviously doesn't want to come to Fargo or he would have commited here already. He's probably waiting on a school closer to home to offer him so he can stay there.

Jdubs21
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM

well there was plenty of times he put the ball on the money and receivers and tight ends dropped them, roehl was hurt most of the year...wurz well didnt impress me at all last year with his butter fingers and jangula blocked mainly all year, the one consistent thing ill agree with u on was Heck he was a studd all year...now im not saying im a mertens fan but damnit he is our QB and im gonna support him

IzzyFlexion
07-07-2009, 12:25 AM
well there was plenty of times he put the ball on the money and receivers and tight ends dropped them, roehl was hurt most of the year...wurz well didnt impress me at all last year with his butter fingers and jangula blocked mainly all year, the one consistent thing ill agree with u on was Heck he was a studd all year...now im not saying im a mertens fan but damnit he is our QB and im gonna support him

I'm taking the "support him" attitude as well.
As with most that are concerned about the QB situation, the lack of depth really is a pisser.
Here's a "glass half full" thought....
Here's hoping the O-Line realizes the QB shortage enough to step up their play and take some additional pride in protecting what they have!

Jdubs21
07-07-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm taking the "support him" attitude as well.
As with most that are concerned about the QB situation, the lack of depth really is a pisser.
Here's a "glass half full" thought....
Here's hoping the O-Line realizes the QB shortage enough to step up their play and take some additional pride in protecting what they have!

agreed!!!!!!!

ndsubison1
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM

so you're sayin competition is a bad thing? hmmm... i want Mertens to succeed as well but we need another QB to push him or even to win the job

EndZoneQB
07-07-2009, 03:40 AM
I think we are more worried about our depth than actually being behind Mertens. We all know that when he takes the first snap, we are going to be behind him like we were when he was untested. We just want to feel "warm and fuzzy" at night knowing Vigen will let Mertens put his best foot forward, and we have another option if need be.

CaBisonFan
07-07-2009, 04:08 AM
so you're sayin competition is a bad thing? hmmm... i want Mertens to succeed as well but we need another QB to push him or even to win the job

If Nick Mertens is the outstanding young man that people say he is, I'd bet that he would agree that depth & competition is good, for the sake of the team. :nod:

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Soon my friends, very soon.

bsking
07-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Soon my friends, very soon.

So when is Dante coming? Have to let Nick know so he can get on his A game.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Soon my Friends, Very Soon

aces1180
07-07-2009, 11:24 PM
According to WDAY news, he's a Bison!

Let's open this competition up and make some waves this fall!

huckleberry
07-07-2009, 11:24 PM
He's here!!!! but a kid with ZERO offers and 2 months from openin' day, wont beat out a fifth year player who started 11 games, no way san jose!

Greenie
07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Dante Perez has committed to NDSU...according to WDAY's Steve Hallstrom on tonight's 6 PM news.

Bison_Pride
07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
He's here!!!! but a kid with ZERO offers and 2 months from openin' day, wont beat out a fifth year player who started 11 games, no way san jose!

He doesn't have too. He might get playing time because of a Mertens injury, or more likely Bohl will have a short leash on Mertens the first time he starts throwing touchdowns for the other team. The odds for Dante to unleash his inferno is about 99%. Jose now is an afterthought, and the freshman guy will redshirt.

lakesbison
07-07-2009, 11:58 PM
wow, i highly doubt it bison_pride.

nick plays the whole year.

next year its Jose as a soph vs Perez as a Senior

Jose can still start Jun/Sen year, even if Perez beats him out.

VanClubPres
07-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Nice to know that no matter what side of the fence you are on in teh Mertens saga, there are going to be a couple of QB's on the team this year. This is good for the bison.

Ferd
07-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Dante Perez has committed to NDSU...according to WDAY's Steve Hallstrom on tonight's 6 PM news.

Welcome Dante.

rutlandbison
07-08-2009, 01:22 AM
SWEET I got PROVED WRONG!!! I've never been more happy about being wrong in my life.

Tatanka
07-08-2009, 02:02 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/hollywdhtpnkldy/horse%20and%20knight.bmp

From the midst of teh darkness, hark! Yea, verily, the annointed one descended from on high on his trusty white steed to save the day. Surely, the byproduct of his bowels carried from it the sweet smell of roses and peppermint, and the mere sound of his voice was said to tempt the sirens themselves.

Good luck to this guy, welcome to the herd. Know this: as absurd as the preceding paragraph is, there are those who believe every word and expect you to be the impossible byproduct of John Elway, Joe Namath, and Joe Montana. :(

NDSU1980
07-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Well, at least we have hope. My only fear now is that Bohl won't play him until the hole is dug so deep we can't get out. We need to get him out on the field ASAP

Welcome Dante and go get 'em.

Bison81
07-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Welcome to Dante !
Congrats to the Staff

56BISON73
07-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Im just happy to have alittle depth no matter who the starter may be.

Mr. Burgundy
07-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Ok, let me do this for probably ninth time.

Offers from Boise State, Oregon State, and San Jose State out of high school. He is a strong kid....and is a fantastic leader. Which is what all the greats are good at. He is a dual threat Quarterback that is going to look great on the fast turf. I for one am very excited, and I hope the best man wins. I still think Nick can be a stud as a senior, but I sure like the fact that the staff can go to the bench if necessary.....Remember Northern Iowa....he should have been yanked. He had no confidence.

Time to get fired up. The staff has really been recruiting. I am excited.

Gully
07-08-2009, 02:30 AM
I hear you Burgandy...less than 60 days! Who's making the trip to Ames? I'll be there with about 15 others (not to sound like Lakes). We MIGHT bring our new (to us) tailgating rig.

TbonZach
07-08-2009, 02:33 AM
I'll be there with about 15 others (not to sound like Lakes).

Nah. As long as you don't start dropping names and talk about raining bitches you're good.

4mcruenomore
07-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Great news, a little depth at QB now

EndZoneQB
07-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Great news, really excited about his potential leadership skills.

GradBison
07-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Welcome aboard Mr. Perez!

At the 10:00 news Hallstrom said Bohl wants him to challenge Mertens for the starting job. As been said many times, a little competition can't hurt.

We were really due for some good news!

steelbison
07-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Well, at least we have hope. My only fear now is that Bohl won't play him until the hole is dug so deep we can't get out. We need to get him out on the field ASAP

Welcome Dante and go get 'em.

Not true. From what I'm being told if he shows up and is better than Nick he will be the starter. The last thing Bohl wants is another 6-5 record and he is doing everything in his power to make sure this year is a success(8-3) type season.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he is the starter this season if he's the real deal. That is yet to be seen.

Bison bison
07-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Congrats on the decision Mr. Perez!

Dante's Inferno Burgers will be on the menu Sept 12th!

ndsubison1
07-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Thank you Mr. Perez, thank you! :bowdown: :bowdown:

NDSU1980
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Not true. From what I'm being told if he shows up and is better than Nick he will be the starter. The last thing Bohl wants is another 6-5 record and he is doing everything in his power to make sure this year is a success(8-3) type season.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he is the starter this season if he's the real deal.

You are going to hurt lakes feelings. He thinks Mertens is the real deal. Can't figure out what his infatuation is with Metens. (got neg rep from him for not endorsing his guy)

At any rate, I'm worried Bohl will do like he did last year. Every time Mertens screwed up, he threatened to pull Mohler's redshirt, but it was always an idle threat. Time will tell how quick Bohl is to yank Mertens. At any rate, it can't come soon enough for me. I want to win this year and see Perez as our only hope.

Mr. Burgundy
07-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Correct. If he is better than Nick, he will start. That is what Bohl stated to Hallstrom on the news.....You need to come in here and compete for the starting spot. Pretty much the same thing. Bohl doesn't care about the number on your jersey, just cares about winning.

KTF
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Welcome Mr. Perez. May you be a quick learning person and be the unsung hero everybody here is hoping for!

Bison Dan
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
You are going to hurt lakes feelings. He thinks Mertens is the real deal. Can't figure out what his infatuation is with Metens. (got neg rep from him for not endorsing his guy)

At any rate, I'm worried Bohl will do like he did last year. Every time Mertens screwed up, he threatened to pull Mohler's redshirt, but it was always an idle threat. Time will tell how quick Bohl is to yank Mertens. At any rate, it can't come soon enough for me. I want to win this year and see Perez as our only hope.

I don't think you can put all of last year on Nick. Nick had his problems no doubt. Offensive line play, play calling, dropped passes and special teams play, were just as much of a problem. It's just easier to see the screw ups of the qb because he handles the ball on every play.

THEsocalledfan
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't think you can put all of last year on Nick. Nick had his problems no doubt. Offensive line play, play calling, dropped passes and special teams play, were just as much of a problem. It's just easier to see the screw ups of the qb because he handles the ball on every play.

Here we go again.......wish I knew how to do the dead horse thing.....

IzzyFlexion
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I hear you Burgandy...less than 60 days! Who's making the trip to Ames? I'll be there with about 15 others (not to sound like Lakes). We MIGHT bring our new (to us) tailgating rig.

Good thing you added that disclaimer. I had images of a "beer buzzed" Gully flying down the interstate in a stretch Hummer limo accompanied by Donald Trump, Pamela Anderson, John Elway, Bill Gates, etc.

AEBison1998
07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Here is his average passing yards per game last year. He also has a 26 to 9 TD to INT ratio.

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
Perez,Dante......... FOOT SO 10 270 154 9 57.0 2112 26 211.2

This is what the scouts were saying about him in high school. They had him listed as 5'10" and 175 lbs at the time so he has grown some since then.

Perez is an excellent overall athlete playing the quarterback position and just when you think he lacks the height and arm strength to stay at QB in college, he will surprise you with his skills as a passer. In all likelihood though, his change of direction skills, quickness and speed will prompt a move to another position, possibly cornerback. He is a calm pocket passer that always looks to throw first, run second which is rare for a duel threat QB. Struggles to see over the line and will have to move around to find throwing lanes which can off set his timing. If he sees his target quickly, he is very effective, but if he has to go to his 2nd or 3rd choice, he will have to move around to find him. He is an elusive runner with great escapability and quickness out of the pocket. Can make people miss, shows nice burst, but has just average speed. This is a player that is versatile and could develop at another position because of his natural football tools, but it may take some time.

He was a two star recruit on Rivals his senior year. Here is what they had on him back then:

First team all-league quarterback as a senior...helped his team win four consecutive Central Coast Section Open Division titles...completed 52 of 80 (65%) passes for 982 yards, 10 touchdowns and four interceptions his senior year.

I'm excited about this guy. I think he looks like a great talent. Good luck to him.

OrygunBison
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Good lord, Negative Nancy. Way to see so much negative after a something good happens. Reading your posts makes me wonder why Coach even bothered recruiting. Come to think of it, MOST of your posts are usually negative.

Must be a bowl of sunshine around the water cooler...

OrygunBison
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Good lord, Negative Nancy. Way to see so much negative after a something good happens. Reading your posts makes me wonder why Coach even bothered recruiting. Come to think of it, MOST of your posts are usually negative.

Must be a bowl of sunshine around the water cooler...

Crap. Forgot to end my post with something positive...

I am pretty fired up about this. I still have some hope that Mertens can prove everyone wrong but know that competition will bring up the level of everyone's game.

Go Bison!!!

tcbison
07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
On wday's article it has this quote:

“You know they kind of developed me into the leader I am today, so I believe that being a leader is more than on the field but off the field, making good choices. What you do affects your team and your teammates and coaches and everybody else.

THEsocalledfan
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM

“You know they kind of developed me into the leader I am today, so I believe that being a leader is more than on the field but off the field, making good choices. What you do affects your team and your teammates and coaches and everybody else.

Glad to hear it, but actions speak louder than words.......Let's hope that, even if he never starts or plays, that he is a respective student athlete that stays out of jail.

Is hoping that no more Bison get arrested for the rest of the year too much to ask?

bsking
07-08-2009, 06:39 PM

I am pretty fired up about this. I still have some hope that Mertens can prove everyone wrong but know that competition will bring up the level of everyone's game.

Go Bison!!!

yeah......pot meet kettle. uhhhh, some here are so much in love with themselves and bison football that any dissenting position is considered negativity. If you want to always talk positive and not get criticised than keep your cake hole shut when others have a different view that always seems negative to you. Peace ;)
Shish, this Bisonville place is shure a tight group. Lighten up on your posting brethern. Others views should be tolerated.

KTF
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Do you have a link to the article?

tcbison
07-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Do you have a link to the article?

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/22724

SlickVic
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
depending on what all has gone on inside vigens office with the offense this off-season perez could be the piece of the puzzle that puts us into instant title contention...its all on vigen if hes some how still stuck on that stone age offense it all be another long year no matter how good perez plays...if you got a dual threat quarterback theres no reason not to re-tool the offense in my opinion

NDSU1980
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Go Bison!!!

Wrong-o, I'm quite enthused about Dante coming here. It gives a person something to cheer about. Yea, I'm down on Mertens, but I'm not alone and I think my reasons about last year are all valid. As I said in the last post, I just hope Bohl takes full advantage of a player like Dante. He won't do us any good standing on the sidelines.

(actually, this is in response to your first post slamming me, not the one I'm quoting)

Bison bison
07-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Vigen needs to draw up a play like this for a California Juco QB transfer playing at Trice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gPOl_F8HQ

rutlandbison
07-09-2009, 12:56 AM
depending on what all has gone on inside vigens office with the offense this off-season perez could be the piece of the puzzle that puts us into instant title contention...its all on vigen if hes some how still stuck on that stone age offense it all be another long year no matter how good perez plays...if you got a dual threat quarterback theres no reason not to re-tool the offense in my opinion
WE NEED SOME OF THAT HD!!!

rutlandbison
07-09-2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg
Here we go again.......wish I knew how to do the dead horse thing.....

sambini
07-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Welcome Dante+++++++++

CaBisonFan
07-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Welcome to North Dakota State Dante! Bring us some 'fire-up' attitude. You're joining an incredibly talented team. The sky is the limit.

Jdubs21
07-09-2009, 03:35 AM
i hope ur not pulling our chain sambini....do u know something we dont?

sambini
07-09-2009, 03:38 AM
i hope ur not pulling our chain sambini....do u know something we dont?
What ? He commited it was on WDAY LAST NIGHT.

Jdubs21
07-09-2009, 03:40 AM
ahhh...i was at a concert last nite and didnt catch the news...welll that made my night alot better, did it say when he was arriving?

NDSUFan_Sav
07-09-2009, 04:42 AM
AWESOME...finally some more QBs.....Dante to Warren hook it up!

WYOBISONMAN
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Here is the linky from WDAY. It looks like Dante is a BISON for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/22724

roadwarrior
07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't classify a verbal commitment as a "for sure", but it sounds like he is on his way. (I don't think athletes can sign letters of intent at this time of the year).

tjbison
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't classify a verbal commitment as a "for sure", but it sounds like he is on his way. (I don't think athletes can sign letters of intent at this time of the year).

Come on Road don't spoil my hope for a new leader under center! Welcome Dante I'm a lot happier now!!

WYOBISONMAN
07-09-2009, 12:53 PM

After last year........this verbal gives me great hope and anticipation for this year. LOL.......for me it is as good as "for sure"......:D

THEsocalledfan
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
So why hasn't the Forum ran an article on this? I am still a little worried....

roadwarrior
07-09-2009, 01:37 PM
It was in the paper this morning.

tcbison
07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
So why hasn't the Forum ran an article on this? I am still a little worried....

Ask and you shall receive...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/246145/

KTF
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Anybody know when he will be in town to start working with the team? Nice to get him here and acquinted with the team before fall camp opens in late july/early august.

roadwarrior
07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Anybody know when he will be in town to start working with the team? Nice to get him here and acquinted with the team before fall camp opens in late july/early august.

If he comes prior to start of practice, he must be enrolled in classes in order to participate and receive any aid.

Ferd
07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
How big is the playbook and can he start learning it now? Whether he's here or not?

HandoEX
07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Great news! This was the guy I really, really, really hoped would come to NDSU. So jacked for this kid:nod:

johnson
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I have to admit there were a couple of fist pumps at my house when I heard Dante was coming. Lets Go Bison!

THEsocalledfan
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I have to admit there were a couple of fist pumps at my house when I heard Dante was coming. Lets Go Bison!

I am happy and everything, but let's not get too carried away. A winning season this does not guarentee; I am just glad for the depth more than anything. A lot more than quaterback needs to improve from last year to have this be a typical NDSU national contender.

WYOBISONMAN
07-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I am happy and everything, but let's not get too carried away. A winning season this does not guarentee; I am just glad for the depth more than anything. A lot more than quaterback needs to improve from last year to have this be a typical NDSU national contender.

You mean like our kicking game?????? LOL.......:D

HandoEX
07-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Fist pumps are too carried away?

I don't think he'll start, at least to start the season, but he brings a lot to be excited about, especially under the circumstances!

THEsocalledfan
07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Fist pumps are too carried away?

Okay, we have a quarterback coming in that has never played here who may or may not ever see the field. They only thing that seem certain is better depth and even that is not guarenteed.

Are fist pumps too carried away? In a word, yes.

bisonmike2
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Okay, we have a quarterback coming in that has never played here who may or may not ever see the field. They only thing that seem certain is better depth and even that is not guarenteed.

This is the first good news the football team has had in a while, I'll let a fist bump pass. How about a internet high 5?
http://thenextweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hi.jpg

Kermit
07-09-2009, 07:12 PM

In that case, you probably wouldn't approve of my reaction to the news..

http://kenyonreview.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/elation.jpg

Bison bison
07-09-2009, 07:37 PM
ok, guys. enough is enough.

Don't make me come down there.

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2009/07/09/0709standoff2.jpg

THEsocalledfan
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
In that case, you probably wouldn't approve of my reaction to the news..

http://kenyonreview.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/elation.jpg

Man, you have a Spud Webb like vertical.....that was impressive.

56BISON73
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM

I think a fist pump IS warranted as """"hey we finally got a QB to come here""""!!!!!!!!!:D

johnson
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I think a fist pump IS warranted as """"hey we finally got a QB to come here""""!!!!!!!!!:D

That is exactly why the fist pumps flew in my house. It has been a long off season with rumors of this QB coming or that QB coming. It was almost looking as if Dante was passing on the Bison as well and I was scratching my head wondering what was going to happen next. When I heard the news the fist pumps flew. Sorry for getting too excited for some of you.

WYOBISONMAN
07-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Hell.....I am excited too! Another QB in the stable is a VERY good thing for the Bison.

But.....there is a lot of work to do as well. Just thinking back in my mind here......Wyoming game, Youngstown game, Western Ill. game, UNI game, SDSU game.....a lot of work to do. The QB is great, worthy of some fist pumping after the dark places we have been, but it is not a "cure all" for what was ailing the Herd last season.

UTH
07-09-2009, 11:15 PM

159.*

*just kidding. awesome news!!!!

DORMIE
07-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Welcome Dante. This will be awesome, 4 QB's on campus this fall. Good luck to all of you. Last man standing. Sounds like from Dante's remarks that he is a first class young man. Good luck to him and welcome to the Bison fold.

CarringtonBison
07-10-2009, 04:35 AM

Is this an example of those new luxury suites at the alerus? Noticed the tin siding and excited fan base.

NDSUstudent
07-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Hopefully he comes in ready to go to school and play football. Dante has a great opportunity if he wants to seize it.

Oh and fist pumps are definitely a must, we got a QB, and that is all that matters after having 1 viable QB option for far too long.....

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1513858module8197113photo_TigerWoods_Fis t_Pump.jpg1202767632

http://www.alpha-male.org/pics/fist_pump_guy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_d8bF7KBsmHI/SijEo0-keOI/AAAAAAAADSM/ZOHVAxfT4gI/s400/johndaly.jpeg

http://www.nflminute.com/wp-content/themes/tma/images/latest/favre-fist-pump1.jpg

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2009/03/20/xphillips.jpg

THEsocalledfan
07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Hopefully he comes in ready to go to school and play football. Dante has a great opportunity if he wants to seize it.

Oh and fist pumps are definitely a must, we got a QB, and that is all that matters after having 1 viable QB option for far too long.....

Man, I guess I am officially not a rube; I somehow feel inadequate.

Just a reminder, do you realize you are following obscure recruits with the passion of a fan at a game? I guess I have better things to get excited about, like the first time this guy actually gets on the field and throws for a TD. I will then do a fist pump, go nuts, and try my best to re-earn my moniker as "THEsocalledfan".

Okay, I will make not more comments on this. Keep you fist pumps going; just wanted to inject a little realism to this discussion.

Castor Troy
07-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Just a reminder, do you realize you are following obscure recruits with the passion of a fan at a game? I guess I have better things to get excited about, like the first time this guy actually gets on the field and throws for a TD. I will then do a fist pump, go nuts, and try my best to re-earn my moniker as "THEsocalledfan".

Okay, I will make not more comments on this. Keep you fist pumps going; just wanted to inject a little realism to this discussion.

So are you saying that we can't get excited over any of our recruits? That's what I love about announcing the new recruits. It gives us a glimpse into the future of our program. Each year we bring in All-State performers that have had sucess at every level they have played at and now they want to be Bison. If you want to sit silently and wait for the first TD to get excited about a player, go right ahead. Maybe you can wathc some grass grow while you are doing that. Some of us need to react in order to offset the anticipation we have for the season.

Last season was tough to watch and I feel a playoff appearance coming this season. If the fans could not stomach last season, I am sure that the coaching staff and players are chomping at the bit.

rutlandbison
07-10-2009, 12:55 PM

you might have to wait awhile to get excited about Justin Juckem then. I dont think he's going to be scoring many TD's from the DE position.

johnson
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
So are you saying that we can't get excited over any of our recruits? That's what I love about announcing the new recruits. It gives us a glimpse into the future of our program. Each year we bring in All-State performers that have had sucess at every level they have played at and now they want to be Bison. If you want to sit silently and wait for the first TD to get excited about a player, go right ahead. Maybe you can wathc some grass grow while you are doing that. Some of us need to react in order to offset the anticipation we have for the season.

Last season was tough to watch and I feel a playoff appearance coming this season. If the fans could not stomach last season, I am sure that the coaching staff and players are chomping at the bit.

Well said!!

Tatanka
07-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Is this an example of those new luxury suites at the alerus? Noticed the tin siding and excited fan base.

:rofl:

I don't care who you are. That was funny right there.

Trim
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
At the suggestion of someone on The Forum comments section, I made Leonard Ritter the new background on my desktop. Looks wonderful!

HandoEX
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
OK, quick question about Perez. If he graduated in 2006, why didn't he play the fall after graduation? Did he redshirt somewhere? All the sites I've seen said he graduated 3 years ago, but I though he still has 2 years of eligibility left. Why didn't he play one of those years?

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=39959

Bison bison
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM

and people who in just a short amount of time will become residents of UND's sister institution the State Hospital?

Scooter1
07-10-2009, 03:05 PM
HandoEX "OK, quick question about Perez. If he graduated in 2006, why didn't he play the fall after graduation? Did he redshirt somewhere? All the sites I've seen said he graduated 3 years ago, but I though he still has 2 years of eligibility left. Why didn't he play one of those years?"

SPECULATION
From what I hear, the kid committed to San Jose St and they wanted to move him to another position. Dante didn't want to give up on his dream of being a college QB so he enrolled in a junior college. I believe there are some rules about a junior college roster needing to be set by a particular date (this rule affected Pat Paschall) this may be why there is a gap in the time line.

NDSUstudent
07-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Well Dante Perez is no Brett Farve but from what I see and have heard he is when compared to our back up last year, TJack. The unbelievable thing is that our depth was so bad last year that coaches admitted to trying to protect Mertens and this year we were staring at having just a true freshmen as the back up going into the first three or four games of the season. I hated that protect-a-QB offense, it was garbage, let whoever the QB is be free to run around and create.

I know a lot of people wanted Stangel but this kid is a JUCO that has been taking snaps and performing well. He is the perfect fit and seems to have a great attitude as well. I don't expect the kid to be amazing, but there is enough known that says he can be a viable option. Jackson and Mohler were not last year. Perez is something that can give us hope the we won't to endure what was the lack of depth at QB we had last year.

Our QB situation was so dire that the fist pumps are not rube like, I don't care if the kid starts a single game, it seems the coaches believe he can push Mertens and that is good enough for me.

NDSU1980
07-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Our QB situation was so dire that the fist pumps are not rube like, I don't care if the kid starts a single game, it seems the coaches believe he can push Mertens and that is good enough for me.

You have just summed up my biggest fear about our QB situation. Bohl will use Perez as a motivator for Mertens and nothing more. I remember last year all too well when Bohl's threat was to pull Mohler's redshirt if Mertens didn't improve. Well, nine INT's later, the threat was still hanging out there and nothing happened.

Mark my words, Bohl will start Mertens at Iowa State, all the while praising Perez and saying he will play the minute Mertens falters. And when Mertens plays like Mertens always plays, nothing will happen except that the threat will be repeated.

Trust me, no one is more excited to have Dante Perez then me, but he doesn't do us any good standing on the side lines watching Mertens literally throwing the games to the opponents like he did last year.

Bring on Dante.

NDSUstudent
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree that Mertens will start against Iowa State but Bohl is getting to the point where the seat is getting hotter. Mohler didn't know the offense last year(he actually slowed down practices), that is from somebody on the team, so his redshirt being pulled was just a threat to spark Mertens.

If the offense is still struggling and Perez turns out to be as good as advertised I think Mertens may have a very short leash. So I think he will be utilized, that is if he comes here ready to play and dives into the playbook.

Bison Dan
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
You have just summed up my biggest fear about our QB situation. Bohl will use Perez as a motivator for Mertens and nothing more. I remember last year all too well when Bohl's threat was to pull Mohler's redshirt if Mertens didn't improve. Well, nine INT's later, the threat was still hanging out there and nothing happened.

Mark my words, Bohl will start Mertens at Iowa State, all the while praising Perez and saying he will play the minute Mertens falters. And when Mertens plays like Mertens always plays, nothing will happen except that the threat will be repeated.

Trust me, no one is more excited to have Dante Perez then me, but he doesn't do us any good standing on the side lines watching Mertens literally throwing the games to the opponents like he did last year.

Bring on Dante.

The only thing that makes any sense in your post is the statement Mertens will start against Iowa State. It's hard for a new QB to come in and start against a senior QB. What makes you think that Coach won't bench him if he under performs? You think Coach wants to lose or something. Hard to pull the shirt of a true freshman (Mohler) and expect him to play well. He'd be a sophomore now and we still would be 6-5 last year.

SlickVic
07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I remember all to well last year at the team makers lunch in the afternoon of the first game of the season bohl basically said mertens was going to be our starting quarterback the whole year rather we like it or not...if that happens this year gene should fire him on the spot

Bison Dan
07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I remember all to well last year at the team makers lunch in the afternoon of the first game of the season bohl basically said mertens was going to be our starting quarterback the whole year rather we like it or not...if that happens this year gene should fire him on the spot

We didn't have anyone that was better than Mertens, even when he was playing his worst. What is Bohl's fault is always wanting the best qb each recruiting year and when we didn't get the one he wanted he passed on all the other qb's. I'm sure he learned a lesson on that one.

Grizzled
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
We didn't have anyone that was better than Mertens, even when he was playing his worst. What is Bohl's fault is always wanting the best qb each recruiting year and when we didn't get the one he wanted he passed on all the other qb's. I'm sure he learned a lesson on that one.

I understand we didn't have anyone better but Bohl could have gotten Jose some valuable playing time. Instead we really handcuffed ourselves again this year with only one qb, (now two thank god) with any game experience. Seriously Jose could not have been worse. It was not all on Mertens, with the OL play and dropped passes, but a lot of it was. I thought we should have gotten some PT for Jose and let the competition begin for this year.

NDSUstudent
07-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I understand we didn't have anyone better but Bohl could have gotten Jose some valuable playing time. Instead we really handcuffed ourselves again this year with only one qb, (now two thank god) with any game experience. Seriously Jose could not have been worse. It was not all on Mertens, with the OL play and dropped passes, but a lot of it was. I thought we should have gotten some PT for Jose and let the competition begin for this year.

It is hard to play a QB that isn't executing the offense in practice, especially when you have to pull his redshirt in order to play him. That said, if Jose can get his head on straight I think Bohl's decision might prove to be a good one in the end.

Scooter1
07-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Sorry, I'm writing Jose off. The kid hasn't been in school for 12 months and he already has two strikes against him. Jose is the fourth option for quarterback for next year in my book. He's lucky he isn't already off the team. Maybe Dante can knock some sense in this kid when he gets here; Lord knows that the others aren't. Dante seams to have a good head on his shoulders from what we hear from his coaches. I like it when a kid who has just verballed has the guts to talk about choices on and off the field. He knows what has been going on at NDSU these past 12 months. We need a guy that isn't afraid to say what needs to be said to the guys that are screwing up. (BTW everyone on this team knows exactly who those kids are.) This should be welcome news for the guys on the team that are keeping their noses clean.

What this team needs is a leader. If Mertens doesn't want or is unable to grab this team by the short hairs and get it back on track, I think that Dante will be more than ready to step up. If the seniors or the other guys on the team don't want to step up and become the team leader they have no right to bitch when a transfer comes in who isn't afraid to call a spade a spade. I say give Mertens the chance to become the leader I think he can be. If he isn't up to it, then bring on Dante. Hose can sit with the clipboard and finish completing his 12 step program in order to have the right to lead to Bison offense. (Until he proves he can act like an adult, it will refer to him as Hose. He has to earn the J back.)

ndsubison1
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Sorry, I'm writing Jose off. The kid hasn't been in school for 12 months and he already has two strikes against him. Jose is the fourth option for quarterback for next year in my book. He's lucky he isn't already off the team. Maybe Dante can knock some sense in this kid when he gets here; Lord knows that the others aren't. Dante seams to have a good head on his shoulders from what we hear from his coaches. I like it when a kid who has just verballed has the guts to talk about choices on and off the field. He knows what has been going on at NDSU these past 12 months. We need a guy that isn't afraid to say what needs to be said to the guys that are screwing up. (BTW everyone on this team knows exactly who those kids are.) This should be welcome news for the guys on the team that are keeping their noses clean.

What this team needs is a leader. If Mertens doesn't want or is unable to grab this team by the short hairs and get it back on track, I think that Dante will be more than ready to step up. If the seniors or the other guys on the team don't want to step up and become the team leader they have no right to bitch when a transfer comes in who isn't afraid to call a spade a spade. I say give Mertens the chance to become the leader I think he can be. If he isn't up to it, then bring on Dante. Hose can sit with the clipboard and finish completing his 12 step program in order to have the right to lead to Bison offense. (Until he proves he can act like an adult, it will refer to him as Hose. He has to earn the J back.)

Jose was in school for the spring semester, he was in one of my classes...

Scooter1
07-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Jose was in school for the spring semester, he was in one of my classes...

That's great. My point of saying that he hasn't been in school for 12 months was to highlight the fact that it has been less than 12 months since he joined the Bison football program and he has two strikes on him. So he was going to class spring semester.... Yippee F__in' Doo!!! I guess that is step one of the 12 step program. He's a R-Freshman right now. If he keeps his nose clean for a year...then I may get on board. I have no time for people who care more about having a good time than how their decisions affect the people around them. He is not a leader, he is a follower. His choices scream that for all the world to hear.

Welcome to the Family Mr. Perez. You too, Brock Jensen. I think Bohl needs one more transfer QB.

ndsubison1
07-11-2009, 04:52 AM
That's great. My point of saying that he hasn't been in school for 12 months was to highlight the fact that it has been less than 12 months since he joined the Bison football program and he has two strikes on him. So he was going to class spring semester.... Yippee F__in' Doo!!! I guess that is step one of the 12 step program. He's a R-Freshman right now. If he keeps his nose clean for a year...then I may get on board. I have no time for people who care more about having a good time than how their decisions affect the people around them. He is not a leader, he is a follower. His choices scream that for all the world to hear.

Welcome to the Family Mr. Perez. You too, Brock Jensen. I think Bohl needs one more transfer QB.

My bad, read it the wrong way :hide:... but i agree though, Bohl should keep him on a tight lesh and any more screw ups then he should be gone... i dont believe he should be kicked off the team, but one little thing now and he will be done for good I'm assuming...

DjKyRo
07-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Much as I don't want to blindly put faith into a kid, I have to say that Dante seems like EXACTLY what we need right now. A QB who has untapped skill, has a head for the game, has at least some experience at a college level (even if only JUCO), and knows how to lead. To me, this guy seems like the missing puzzle piece to the Bison offense. Combine a legit dual-threat QB who can complete more then 50% of his passes with P^2, Voigt and DJ and we are going to have a (potentially) very dangerous offensive attack. If Shultenover and Sid were still hanging with the team, I would be all over this guy, but my faith for the year went into Haynes for President, and I'm still recovering... :(

westnodak93bison
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Calling someone a "follower" for doing some partying is ridiculous imho. I know for a fact that some of the Bison greats were no angels when it came to partying. They just never got caught. Things were treated differently back in the 80-90's compared to today. I mean with the media, NDSU and how the public perceived partying. Today partying and drinking are four letter words. Just my $.02.

Scooter1
07-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Calling someone a "follower" for doing some partying is ridiculous imho. I know for a fact that some of the Bison greats were no angels when it came to partying. They just never got caught. Things were treated differently back in the 80-90's compared to today. I mean with the media, NDSU and how the public perceived partying. Today partying and drinking are four letter words. Just my $.02.
Hey, you know the consequences before hand yet you follow the crowd instead of making the right choices. This makes you a follower. When you join a group and make them part of your family there comes a responsiblilty to that family. Part of that is being a man and making the right choices; knowing that the choices you make affect the people around you. The stupid argument that people have done it in the past is ridiculous imho. That argument was the weakest one you could have when making excuses to my father. He would say "For God sake, do you want to be a boy your whole life? Be the man I raised you to be."

Strong leaders make good choices. I don't think it fair to bring up players of the past for alleged transgressions. If what you say about past Bison greats is true, the notion that some never got caught make us lucky we have the national awards that we do. I guess Thank God that some looked the other way is what you should be saying. This is a different day and age as you have already stated. Hose knew that the first time he got caught yet decided to continue running with the same crowd and up his game to a DUI. That is the definition of a follower.

Welcome Dante and Brock.

Jdubs21
07-11-2009, 02:55 PM

I agree with you to a point, he is a follower and he did mess up, but to his defense i honestly he is one of those kids thats in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have met him a couple times and he seems to be a pretty good guy, and i am willing to bet any money that 99% of the under 21 kids on this team have drank and been places they are not supposed to be. But yes he does have a standard to uphold and its very easy for us to say this is the opportunity of a lifetime and a free education, but most of us have never been in that situation and when your young almost everyone takes things for granted....but to wrap it up he has had his fun and deserve ONE last chance, if he gets caught again, boot him off

BisonNeil
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
As the orginal TeamMaker who expressd concern about the QB recruiting, Dante's verbal is a "huge get", in my opinion. The Bison will now have a Sr, Jr, RFr, TFr QB, and a So if you include Fabry. So Bohl's getting Perez helps fill the gap he created by his piss poor QB recruting in 06 & 07, so this is massively huge. Cudos to Bohl, and I don't give those out to him lightly.

As for Dante's potential contribution, I think he will be a quality back up to Mertens and if he can learn the playbook Dante will likely mean nothing more than giving Vigen the opportunity to put Nick into the kind of plays that will allow him to be successful. I for one think Nick can be very good if the offensive schemes look like they did against SDSU. A few games of this and I think NDSU will return to being an "offensive juggernaut", to quote Joe Glenn.

Thank you Dante! Thank you, thank you, thank you...

onbison09
07-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I realize some people never got caught (I remember some of my dad's stories from college. Jesus Christ were some of those guys stupid.). But it doesn't matter. The media & the cops target NDSU players. Too damn bad! I'm gonna get my Lakes on :D! WE NEED GUYS ON THIS TEAM THAT REALIZE THAT PLAYING FOOTBALL AT NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY IS A PRIVILAGE AND NOT A RIGHT. (Although a VAST majority of the guys do, I know)

onbison09
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM
From the media blog:
OK, sorry it's been a weird week -- meaning to post something for a couple days.
Dante Perez has verballed...Coach can't comment until he gets accepted for admission...This does not appear to be another Troy Jackson deal...Talked to him several times during the summer and he is so incredibly concerned with "doing things right", from seeking good advice from mentors, to making sure his family is cool with everything, to sticking to his word....Many times he said how playing college football is an honor and really wants to live up to fans expectations...Very concerned with "earning" his teammates trust...Grew up in a strong Christian home and his faith is very important to him...
But all that means little if the kid cannot play...I've talked to 2 of his coaches and they keep saying the kid is a winner...Down late with bullets flying and game on the line, they say he's at his best...He's not very tall...not apparently the cannon arm sort, doesn't have eye popping stats, but his record in high school and college is something crazy -- like 35-4 (don't quote me)...
He has been told by Bohl that he has a chance to win the starting job and he says he likes that challenge, but also respects Nick Mertens and what he has done at NDSU.
His commitment is beyond huge. NDSU was looking at an Iowa State game with one realistic quarterback option...If nothing else, this allows Craig Bohl to exhale once or twice during the game, and if he can learn the offense, they can run the plays they want to this year (moving Mertens around more) instead of "protecting" him like they did last year, when it didn't suit his abilities.

CaBisonFan
07-11-2009, 11:22 PM
His commitment is beyond huge. NDSU was looking at an Iowa State game with one realistic quarterback option...If nothing else, this allows Craig Bohl to exhale once or twice during the game, and if he can learn the offense, they can run the plays they want to this year (moving Mertens around more) instead of "protecting" him like they did last year, when it didn't suit his abilities.

It's a gut feeling...and nothing more...but based on the films that I saw of Dante on YouTube...he gives me the feeling that he's a winner. The kind of guy that will take a team on his shoulders and make it happen. I realize what a highlight film is...but the versatility of Dante seems to be off the chart. When he ran the ball he looked like an incredibly elusive and quick runner with moves that would challenge any running back. He appears to be a long-range threat, and can throw the 'out' patterns, etc, etc.

But more than anything...he looked like a leader on the field. The thing is...if Nick either can't or won't take the reigns...then I'd hand Dante the ball and tell him to take control...playbook, or no playbook. This kid 'makes' plays. It can't be taught. Simplify the offense if need be, and let him go.

Yes...respect Nick's commitment to the team...but not at the price of losing 2 or 3 games. I sincerely hope that Nick does great...but Dante on the bench wouldn't make a lot of sense if he has what I think he has. I think Bohl gets it. This is a pivotal year for him, and the team.

tjbison
07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
It's a gut feeling...and nothing more...but based on the films that I saw of Dante on YouTube...he gives me the feeling that he's a winner. The kind of guy that will take a team on his shoulders and make it happen. I realize what a highlight film is...but the versatility of Dante seems to be off the chart. When he ran the ball he looked like an incredibly elusive and quick runner with moves that would challenge any running back. He appears to be a long-range threat, and can throw the 'out' patterns, etc, etc.

But more than anything...he looked like a leader on the field. The thing is...if Nick either can't or won't take the reigns...then I'd hand Dante the ball and tell him to take control...playbook, or no playbook. This kid 'makes' plays. It can't be taught. Simplify the offense if need be, and let him go.

Yes...respect Nick's commitment to the team...but not at the price of losing 2 or 3 games. I sincerely hope that Nick does great...but Dante on the bench wouldn't make a lot of sense if he has what I think he has. I think Bohl gets it. This is a pivotal year for him, and the team.

I have no reason to think Dante a Player who got a offer from a Pac-10 school in Oregon St., and committed to San Jose St. can't come in a beat out Nick for the #1:hide: I'm fine with Mertens Playing the ISU game as it really means nothing but a paycheck, but I hope when Conference play comes around the better of the 2 are in the game, and I have faith in who that will be:)

EndZoneQB
07-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm fine with Mertens Playing the ISU game as it really means nothing but a paycheck, but I hope when Conference play comes around the better of the 2 are in the game, and I have faith in who that will be:)

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I realize ISU is a big12 doormat, but if we go to Iowa(where we have a ton of recruiting competition), and beat one of there "big time" schools(and continue with a win against UNI), that will be about WAY more than a paycheck. We get exposure on ESPN, etc again, and get more recognition than if we won the MVFC title...

CaBisonFan
07-12-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I realize ISU is a big12 doormat, but if we go to Iowa(where we have a ton of recruiting competition), and beat one of there "big time" schools(and continue with a win against UNI), that will be about WAY more than a paycheck. We get exposure on ESPN, etc again, and get more recognition than if we won the MVFC title...

I think that the most productive and 'fire-up' QB should be behind center at Iowa State. If it's Nick...great.

EndZoneQB
07-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I think that the most productive and 'fire-up' QB should be behind center at Iowa State. If it's Nick...great.

Precisely. The last thing we should do is pass the game off as meaningless, we should want the best chance to win.

westnodak93bison
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
welcome Dante, may the best player win the QB competition

Bison"FANatic"
07-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey just got back from a week long vacation and I see Perez decided to commit. I am just glad we can go into the first week with a back up QB. Hopefully he gives Mertens a run for his money and they both make each other better.

tjbison
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM

It means nothing towards our ultimate goal of Playoffs and NC, Losing to ISU is really no big deal in the giant scheme of things, but I agree with your point yes winning is a huge thing but losing doesn't kill us like a loss to our conference mates

EndZoneQB
07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
It means nothing towards our ultimate goal of Playoffs and NC, Losing to ISU is really no big deal in the giant scheme of things, but I agree with your point yes winning is a huge thing but losing doesn't kill us like a loss to our conference mates

Fair enough. I think I read it as you saying it was a "layup" game for us so who cares. It's important, it just doesn't have the "risk" attached to it.

tjbison
07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Fair enough. I think I read it as you saying it was a "layup" game for us so who cares. It's important, it just doesn't have the "risk" attached to it.

Exactly trust me I want us to win just not at all cost, like injuries to key players, but also want to see our #1's get good reps

ndsubison1
07-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Iowa State will be a good early test for our team and whoever our QB will be off the bat... IMO it's better than playing Austin Peay or Central Conn. to start the season like we did last season

TransAmBison
07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I got back from vacation and just had time to finish this thread. Glad to have Dante. Disagree completely with you THEsocalledfan. I am pumped. This gives me some hope about Iowa St. I say go in there guns a blazing!! Whether he starts or not, I think having Dante on the team will loosen up the coaching staff and give them some fire.

THEsocalledfan
07-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Disagree completely with you THEsocalledfan.

What? Disagree with me? That is simply not allowed on this board. Don't make me start poking fun at you for getting excited about a player who is a nobody at this point!

CaBisonFan
07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
What? Disagree with me? That is simply not allowed on this board. Don't make me start poking fun at you for getting excited about a player who is a nobody at this point!

I agree...we shouldn't be excited about getting what appears to be a good backup or 2nd option at QB. I mean really...things have been wonderful. :cool:

CaBisonFan
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Iowa State will be a good early test for our team and whoever our QB will be off the bat... IMO it's better than playing Austin Peay or Central Conn. to start the season like we did last season

This game should get the players' attention. Gotta be sharp on day-one. Agreed

BisonNeil
07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Interestingly, according to SI Nick Lamaison is still available, according to SI. Didn't Vigen go after him, or was that a rumor?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/07/16/tennessee.juco.transfer.ap/index.html

tony
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Interestingly, according to SI Nick Lamaison is still available, according to SI. Didn't Vigen go after him, or was that a rumor?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/07/16/tennessee.juco.transfer.ap/index.html

As far as I know, all the other QBs but Lamaison were mentioned based on speculation/rumor/wishful thinking. The source for Lamaison being offered by NDSU was Lamaison himself based on a quote from this article:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/may/29/ut-targets-juco-qb-lamaison/

That spawned this thread:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16774

Anyway, it kind of seems like NDSU moved on, but who knows? 36 TDs in one season vs 8 INTs - that's pretty impressive.

EndZoneQB
07-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Anyway, it kind of seems like NDSU moved on, but who knows? 36 TDs in one season vs 8 INTs - that's pretty impressive.

Yup. My guess is exactly like the article you posted about him wanting to wait. He's only played one year at the Juco level so there is still time for him to sign with a big school. I'm sure he feels he would be settling if he came to NDSU, which isn't a good thing for him, or NDSU IMO.

Bison"FANatic"
07-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I have been following that one on volnation and it seems he is finishing up one class to be eligible for the SEC. They have a poster named Choy that seems to be from Lamaisons school paper or something and it looks like he will be going to the vols once he is finished with summer school.

That is all from a message board so take it for what it is worth

westnodak93bison
07-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Lets say Mertens wins the job which I think he will. How about using Dante and or Jose as a "slash" type player. Reverse pass/run options could wreak havoc on a defense. I'd love to see all 3 QBs utilized and be productive rather than a winner takes all qb competition. I'm not saying every play but I'm just sayin....

Bison bison
07-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Well I say we put eleven quarterbacks out there. Call the offense the whirly-gig.

56BISON73
07-19-2009, 04:22 AM
I just want one competent QB who will make correct on the field decisions..

Jdubs21
07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Lets say Mertens wins the job which I think he will. How about using Dante and or Jose as a "slash" type player. Reverse pass/run options could wreak havoc on a defense. I'd love to see all 3 QBs utilized and be productive rather than a winner takes all qb competition. I'm not saying every play but I'm just sayin....

I think everyone will get their shot, its tough to be throwing different QB's in every play it would mess up the timing of the receivers and rest of the offense to much, plus i dont think dante is gonna have the paybook memorized in a month, hopefully he does but we'll have to see, though im sure every QB we have now will have their chance

newbisonunclej
07-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I have a feeling Dante will surprise some of the fellow Bison's fans with his leadership and knowledge of the game. I have seen Dante this young man comes into his own when the game is on the line......In time you will see what this talented athelete is capable of doing once he battles for the starting spot at NDSU.
Dante is not coming to NDSU to be a back up QB. his goals are come and compete & win the starting position at QB, May the best man show their abilities & leadership through the season.:bow:

tjbison
07-23-2009, 12:04 AM
I have a feeling Dante will surprise some of the fellow Bison's fans with his leadership and knowledge of the game. I have seen Dante this young man comes into his own when the game is on the line......In time you will see what this talented athelete is capable of doing once he battles for the starting spot at NDSU.
Dante is not coming to NDSU to be a back up QB. his goals are come and compete & win the starting position at QB, May the best man show their abilities & leadership through the season.:bow:

Amen!!! sounds like he is the prescription our sick offense needs!!!!! sounds like a winner

oh yeah welcome to BV

EndZoneQB
07-23-2009, 12:28 AM

That's exactly what we saw on film and hope it's true.

CaBisonFan
07-23-2009, 12:50 AM

Absolutely...................:nod:

Kermit
07-23-2009, 01:24 AM

Welcome to Bisonville! I have good vibes about Dante.

I think this team just may have a pleasant surprise or two up their collective sleeves. I saw some clips from the MVFC media day, and I was struck by the subdued tone from the Bison camp. This year, maybe the talking will be done on the field. This team has been through a lot of adversity in the past year. While there have been too many players who just don't get it (Blake Sczepanski, please wipe that stupid, drunken grin off your face!), there are also a bunch of great young men who are just waiting for a chance to show what they can do. It's almost time..

Fightin' Bison
07-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Let's not get carried away. I saw a QB with impressive improvisational ability and with speed and quickness. I also saw him hoist the ball down field and have his receivers bail him out. He did not appear to excel at reading defenses and /or receiver progressions. Nevertheless, I expect he will be a strong candidate to win the starting job. Let's just not expect him to be a superstar - yet.

bisonmike2
07-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Let's not get carried away. I saw a QB with impressive improvisational ability and with speed and quickness. I also saw him hoist the ball down field and have his receivers bail him out. He did not appear to excel at reading defenses and /or receiver progressions. Nevertheless, I expect he will be a strong candidate to win the starting job. Let's just not expect him to be a superstar - yet.

Are you sure you want watching a tape of Mertens?:hide:

BisonNolesFan77
07-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Welcome to Bisonville! I have good vibes about Dante.

I think this team just may have a pleasant surprise or two up their collective sleeves. I saw some clips from the MVFC media day, and I was struck by the subdued tone from the Bison camp. This year, maybe the talking will be done on the field. This team has been through a lot of adversity in the past year. While there have been too many players who just don't get it (Blake Sczepanski, please wipe that stupid, drunken grin off your face!), there are also a bunch of great young men who are just waiting for a chance to show what they can do. It's almost time..

Where did you see these clips at?

EndZoneQB
07-23-2009, 03:19 AM

I was talking about more the improvising, aka taking a team on his shoulders and doing everything in his power to help his team make a play. A player that seemed like a leader, which is what we NEED.

Kermit
07-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Where did you see these clips at?

I think it was one of the WDAY sportscasts.

CaBisonFan
07-23-2009, 05:49 AM
I was talking about more the improvising, aka taking a team on his shoulders and doing everything in his power to help his team make a play. A player that seemed like a leader, which is what we NEED.

I agree. It's a gut feeling...based on the films. I saw a competitor with outstanding athletic ability. He seemed extremely aware of what was going on around him in the pocket...stepped forward quickly...or did a juke to gain a few yards.

Awareness...competitiveness...quickness...good vision...good arm.

If Dante gets the opportunity, we will see a kind of QB that we've never had at SU.

Did I say better than Steve, Jeff, or Chris? Nope...but this will be good for Nick 'and' the team. The coaches needed this option...badly.

newbisonunclej
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Dante perez is on his way to NDSU to explore his new horizons. Dante should arrive sometime today he flying out this morning apprx. 9-10am which I believe NDSU time is 2 hrs. later that California. Dante has been studing the playbook and is ready to take the bull by the horns and ready to show all his teammates, coaches & Bison fans his leadership. Hope you all enjoy this young man's talent for the next 2 yrs.

Herd80
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Speaking for myself, and probably a whole lot of other Bison fans....your damn right we're looking forward to his arrival. If this kid has half the leadership qualities we keep hearing about, he'll be a welcome addition to the team.

Footnote: this is not meant to imply anything negative about our current QB, only that good leaders, athletes and students are welcome here.

Good luck, Dante

KC Bison
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the update. I think the whole town is probably awaiting his arrival.

Bison"FANatic"
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I look forward to watching the competition on the field on Saturdays (1 Thursday) and hearing about the competition for the starting job during the weeks of practice. Good luck to him and may the best player lead this team. The depth is a nice thing to have as it at least gives us options.

bisonmike2
07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
great news. competition will benefit everyone. And I love having another QB on the depth chart. Hope he has a successful career at NDSU.

Bisonfan1
07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Dante perez is on his way to NDSU to explore his new horizons. Dante should arrive sometime today he flying out this morning apprx. 9-10am which I believe NDSU time is 2 hrs. later that California. Dante has been studing the playbook and is ready to take the bull by the horns and ready to show all his teammates, coaches & Bison fans his leadership. Hope you all enjoy this young man's talent for the next 2 yrs.

Short notice, but can anyone in Fargo get a red carpet to the airport and a band to greet him when he gets off the plane !!

Bisonfan1
07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=KC Bison;290923]Thanks for the update. I think the whole town is probably awaiting his arrival.[/QUOTE

So thats whats causing the traffic jam by Hector Field :D

lakesbison
07-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Sorry uncle....dante can backup this year and battle it out with then-sophomore jose for 1 year.

NICK is ready, its gonna be a "SHOVE THE CROW DOWN THIER.THROATS" year, will you be ready bison fans??

bisonhusker
07-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Welcome Dante....change is good....and we need Change!!!!

THEsocalledfan
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=KC Bison;290923]Thanks for the update. I think the whole town is probably awaiting his arrival.[/QUOTE

So thats whats causing the traffic jam by Hector Field :D

Yep, irrational Bisonville rubes rolling out the red carpet for their newly annointed King of BisonNation. All Hail Dante! All Hail Dante!

newbisonunclej
07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Sorry for the misleading information upon Dante's arrival, he will be flying out tomorrow instead of today..........

SDbison
07-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Can't wait for Dante to get in a Bison uniform. Hopefully he is as smart as advertised and can learn the system quickly. Also hope he can actually check down receivers and make good decisions when and where to throw. Mertens has had no competition and that is bad. That is primarily the coaches fault. Good luck Dante. Show us your best and you could possibly be the starter before the first game.

OldBison
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
its gonna be a "SHOVE THE CROW DOWN THIER.THROATS" year, will you be ready bison fans??

It still amazes me that there are football fans out there who think a team can run and "shove the crow" without being able to pass effectively. That sure worked out well for you last year, didn't it lakes :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mr. Burgundy
07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I think there is a generation gap between Oldbison and Lakes....pretty funny actually. I don't think Lakes was talking about the name of an offense...he was talking about Nick shutting up the negative people with his solid play.

I am in the Dante camp. Ever since the UNI game last year. I can't get those memories out of my mind. I want this team to be great and will support everyone. I think SD is absolutely correct that we MUST have better competition at QB and all positions to be successful.

TransAmBison
07-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I think there is a generation gap between Oldbison and Lakes....pretty funny actually. I don't think Lakes was talking about the name of an offense...he was talking about Nick shutting up the negative people with his solid play.

I am in the Dante camp. Ever since the UNI game last year. I can't get those memories out of my mind. I want this team to be great and will support everyone. I think SD is absolutely correct that we MUST have better competition at QB and all positions to be successful.
I think the "Shove the Crow" offense calls for 4 running backs if I am correct?

IzzyFlexion
07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Sorry, but this is as close as I an get.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1IikE9_oKLg/SWZBsaxKsbI/AAAAAAAARoQ/Rkbxl1AB_5A/s1600/sheryl-010808-a.jpg
Shoving?? Hardly. But in the photo pushing her son Wyatt is Sheryl Crow.
Why am I such a child?

BisonNolesFan77
07-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Sorry uncle....dante can backup this year and battle it out with then-sophomore jose for 1 year.

NICK is ready, its gonna be a "SHOVE THE CROW DOWN THIER.THROATS" year, will you be ready bison fans??

Ready for more of what we saw from Merten's last year? Get off your damn Merten's and Mohler pitch...let them go to camp with an open competition, and put the best QB under center.

56BISON73
07-28-2009, 01:25 AM
I think the "Shove the Crow" offense calls for 4 running backs if I am correct?

Or do we have a new QB or running back by the name of Crow????:D

westnodak93bison
07-28-2009, 01:41 AM
imho, we need an open competition at QB. Let the best QB win the job.

EndZoneQB
07-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Ready for more of what we saw from Merten's last year? Get off your damn Merten's and Mohler pitch...let them go to camp with an open competition, and put the best QB under center.

Meh, lakes gets a bad enough name from his trolling posts, this is one of his better "acceptable" posts. Let the guy be excited about the Bison and the players we have. Sheesh, can he do anything right?

newbisonunclej
07-28-2009, 04:22 PM
As I stated yesterday, my apologies for the misleading information upon Dante'a arrival. Dante is on his way to Bisonville as I type this blog to all, Dante left this morning apprx. 9:30 am his arrival time up there to Bisonville ND. will be around 6 pm. NDSU time. His journey has just begun for some exciting football to be played for the next 2 yrs., So let's all get ready for this competition to get started may the best QB be chosen to lead the Bisons for this up coming season. Good Luck Fellas!!

Ferd
07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
As I stated yesterday, my apologies for the misleading information upon Dante'a arrival. Dante is on his way to Bisonville as I type this blog to all, Dante left this morning apprx. 9:30 am his arrival time up there to Bisonville ND. will be around 6 pm. NDSU time. His journey has just begun for some exciting football to be played for the next 2 yrs., So let's all get ready for this competition to get started may the best QB be chosen to lead the BISON for this up coming season. Good Luck Fellas!!

Fixed it for you as Bison is plural.

newbisonunclej
07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Fixed it for you as Bison is plural.

I stand corrected.....Thank you

SDbison
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Look out Nick, Dante is on the way!
Now if coach Bohl and company would start recruiting some more QB's so that we are covered over the next few years for back ups, injuries, drop outs and suspensions!

56BISON73
07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Look out Nick, Dante is on the way!
Now if coach Bohl and company would start recruiting some more QB's so that we are covered over the next few years for back ups, injuries, drop outs and suspensions!

I agree. Im still somewhat befuddled in the fact that Bohl is having a hard time getting good QBs to come to Fargo. He stated last year that he messed up and would be recruiting more QBs but what happened this year? I think more will be learned after this year as we see what he brings in the next recruiting class. If there is an absence of QBs that time around I see red flags. Hopefully he wont have a problem.

Civil06
07-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree. Im still somewhat befuddled in the fact that Bohl is having a hard time getting good QBs to come to Fargo. He stated last year that he messed up and would be recruiting more QBs but what happened this year? I think more will be learned after this year as we see what he brings in the next recruiting class. If there is an absence of QBs that time around I see red flags. Hopefully he wont have a problem.

Winning solves most problems. Let's hope for a great season and a lineup of QBs that want to play here.:praying: