PDA

View Full Version : The Don Morton Philosophy

CaBisonFan
06-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Don Morton used to say in his banquet speeches that when a recruit came to NDSU they came for the right reason. They wanted to play championship football.

People underestimate (or forget...or don't know) the impact that Jim Wacker had on the Bison dynasty of the 80s. He not only brought the veer to town...he brought an attitude. I think that he saw the talent at QB...and decided that the veer was the best fit. I think that he also was of the opinion that recruiting prototypical QB's was treacherous, and unreliable. He opted for athletes...the best in the region. Morton refined all of this, and the 80s was the result. "Let the other schools recruit by position...and we'll get the best athletes with an attitude." (Turns out we got many of the recruits that other teams wanted anyway. But if we found 4 outstanding linebackers who wanted to come...they came.)

Oh man...we beat the ever-loving hell out of more passing teams that I could count. The media would warn us of this great 'QB' coming to town. But usually, 2 things happened: 1. We kept the QB on the sidelines a majority of the game. 2. When our defense finally got on the field...they were snortin' flames. Their QB studied cloud formations. 3 & out was common. The fans went crazy over a 3 & out...or a great hit. They were on their feet going wild. The team responded. When a unit left the field, it was a celebration...and a recognition. The fans were extremely savy on the Bison side of the field. The offensive line would come off the field to a standing ovation.

Wacker stormed the sidelines and demanded that every player become emotionally involved in the game. In those old videos that I've posted up, watch not only the players on the field...watch the sideline. It wasn't casual my friends. It was intense...but it was fun. Everyone was involved. Watch how many players gravitated to the ball on defense. They received points for being in the vacinity of the tackle. The 'Herd' wasn't just a motto. It was practiced...and it was coached....and it was demanded.

We do not want players who don't want to live in God's country. We want...and we have...athletes. Adapt to the talent. :nod:

BisoninNWMN
06-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Keeping those QBs off the field was a product of the veer back then. It definitely helped that some of those "classic" veer option drives down the field took 15-20 plays and ran 8-9 minutes off the clock.

I have no doubt that the Bison will be a perennial MV champion contender every yr.

GO BISON

CaBisonFan
06-22-2009, 03:37 AM
Keeping those QBs off the field was a product of the veer back then. It definitely helped that some of those "classic" veer option drives down the field took 15-20 plays and ran 8-9 minutes off the clock.

I have no doubt that the Bison will be a perennial MV champion contender every yr.

GO BISON

I totally agree with your last statement. We needed one year to adjust. Bohl is one of the top coaches that we've had in town.

THEsocalledfan
06-22-2009, 02:48 PM

GO BISON

I think I speak for TAB when I say:

Bring back the veer!!!!

TransAmBison
06-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I think I speak for TAB when I say:

Bring back the veer!!!!
+++++++++++++

Bison_Backer
07-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Your right on on this topic. The veer is a way of keeping the game managable and when you couple it with a Tear ass defense there is no defense. The problem is Coaches get bord not kids.

If we ever got back to the veer we might see another dynasty.

CaBisonFan
07-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Your right on on this topic. The veer is a way of keeping the game managable and when you couple it with a Tear ass defense there is no defense. The problem is Coaches get bord not kids. If we ever got back to the veer we might see another dynasty.

Agreed...totally.

Teams would have to dedicate serious time to practicing for the Bison. We leveled the playing field by throwing out the veer...and by creating a perfect atmosphere for visiting quarterbacks in the dome. They're on the field more. Our defense wears down. We don't control the game unless it's a blowout.

That's how UND, SDSU, and others got back into the hunt with us. We let them in. Changing offenses and moving inside defines the 90s...along with a total lack of judgment with hiring & firing coaches. Dacotah Field was one of our 'edges.' Teams feared the veer, our defense, and our atmosphere. There's no fear now.

We compete with 100 other schools for quarterbacks who can play our offense. The offense is too dependent upon one person. In the 1988 championship game we played 3 quarterbacks while the game was still in question. The veer rolled on. In many respects...the guys were replaceable parts. They knew it...but they loved being a part of 'the whole.' Team concept...herd mentality. As great as Bentrim & Simdorn were...the Bison rolled pretty well with others at QB also. The entire backfield was by 'committee.' Someone got hurt...we had a couple of experienced guys behind them...at least. The offensive line prided itself in blocking for the veer.

When we 'did' pass...it was lethal. 8 or 9 guys cheated up to defend the run, and we'd throw one over the top. It just wasn't fair.

Also...preparing for the road in colder weather makes us more vulnerable...with our offense. People could respond by saying that we practice outside to prepare...but it's not the same as a game.

We let others come into our nice environment...while on the road, we're more vulnerable to the weather. We have a dome mentality...much like the Vikings. (sorry)

Sorry folks...but after witnessing this ridiculous quarterback hunt...along with other things...this is where I stand. Steve Walker was Houdini. Our current style of play requires a Houdini. It's not consistent enough.

Mr. Burgundy
07-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Is this a joke, or are these people serious about bringing back the veer. I am laughing reading this. If you thought recruiting was hard before.......

CaBisonFan
07-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Is this a joke, or are these people serious about bringing back the veer. I am laughing reading this. If you thought recruiting was hard before.......

Laughter...courtesy of CaBisonFan. :cool:

56BISON73
07-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Agreed...totally.

Teams would have to dedicate serious time to practicing for the Bison. We leveled the playing field by throwing out the veer...and by creating a perfect atmosphere for visiting quarterbacks in the dome. They're on the field more. Our defense wears down. We don't control the game unless it's a blowout.

That's how UND, SDSU, and others got back into the hunt with us. We let them in. Changing offenses and moving inside defines the 90s...along with a total lack of judgment with hiring & firing coaches. Dacotah Field was one of our 'edges.' Teams feared the veer, our defense, and our atmosphere. There's no fear now.

We compete with 100 other schools for quarterbacks who can play our offense. The offense is too dependent upon one person. In the 1988 championship game we played 3 quarterbacks while the game was still in question. The veer rolled on. In many respects...the guys were replaceable parts. They knew it...but they loved being a part of 'the whole.' Team concept...herd mentality. As great as Bentrim & Simdorn were...the Bison rolled pretty well with others at QB also. The entire backfield was by 'committee.' Someone got hurt...we had a couple of experienced guys behind them...at least. The offensive line prided itself in blocking for the veer.

When we 'did' pass...it was lethal. 8 or 9 guys cheated up to defend the run, and we'd throw one over the top. It just wasn't fair.

Also...preparing for the road in colder weather makes us more vulnerable...with our offense. People could respond by saying that we practice outside to prepare...but it's not the same as a game.

We let others come into our nice environment...while on the road, we're more vulnerable to the weather. We have a dome mentality...much like the Vikings. (sorry)

Sorry folks...but after witnessing this ridiculous quarterback hunt...along with other things...this is where I stand. Steve Walker was Houdini. Our current style of play requires a Houdini. It's not consistent enough.

Other teams who run the same style of offense dont seem to need a Houdini. The performance of a team sometime requires a Houdini to win some games. The style has nothing to do with it unless you dont have the talent as a whole to run it.

CaBisonFan
07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Other teams who run the same style of offense dont seem to need a Houdini. The performance of a team sometime requires a Houdini to win some games. The style has nothing to do with it unless you dont have the talent as a whole to run it.

You make a good point. I never intended for this to be a 'bring back the veer' thread. Just kind of turned into it. Guess I'm just a ball-control fan...and that's one style of offense that does it. Our defense has spent an awful lot of time on the field in the past years.

TransAmBison
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I love the veer as much as anyone, but the ball control aspect is all about execution. When Houdini ran the offense we had the ball control. What is nice about our offense now is that we can comeback in a hurry if needed. You just couldn't do that with the veer. Well, it could happen but not very likely.

It has been a hard year for Bison football fans. It will get better.

CaBisonFan
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I love the veer as much as anyone, but the ball control aspect is all about execution. When Houdini ran the offense we had the ball control. What is nice about our offense now is that we can comeback in a hurry if needed. You just couldn't do that with the veer. Well, it could happen but not very likely.

It has been a hard year for Bison football fans. It will get better.

Another good point. Also...some of those spread offenses have been tough on us. I don't like the 'spread' or any of the hybrids of it...but it can be very tough on the 'D' as far as time spent on the field.

I agree totally about the 'comeback' ability of the veer. If a team jumped out to an early lead...that's typically how our veer teams lost.

TransAmBison
07-03-2009, 03:26 PM
We had a dominant D in '06. Something was lost in '07. '08 was plagued by injuries, maybe had a loss of focus as well. I don't know. No leadership on either side of the ball.

Now as for our offensive scheme, I really started to like it during the Ball State game. I love that last drive for the go ahead touchdown.

Now to talk about QB recruiting and the veer. As much as I love Rocky, he had a tough time recruiting a really good qb. After Arden Beachy we did not have anything that special. Feeney was not bad, but a championship qb he was not. It was getting really tough to recruit a top level option qb.

I think that is enough subjects touched on for one post. :D