PDA

View Full Version : No more home playoff games in Montana?

Hammersmith
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
The NCAA has been expanding their antigambling measures beyond basketball. They now prohibit NCAA playoff games and tournaments in states that have legalized sports gaming. Delaware legalized limited sports gaming earlier this month and the NCAA has threatened to ban all postseason play in the state. During this process, it was brought up that Montana also has sports gaming in the form of legally winning money on fantasy leagues. The NCAA is saying they made a mistake last year by letting the University of Montana host two football playoff games and that the mistake won't happen again. Montana, Delaware, Nevada and Oregon all have forms of legalized sports gaming. The ban on postseason events in those states only applies to NCAA events and not conference tournaments.

Fantasy Sports League May Run Afoul of NCAA (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g3ddSfilsh-T_wxI5QW7JiU5I5wgD98G743O1)

Gully
05-31-2009, 02:13 PM
WOW, now the NCAA thinks they should tell state governments what they can do? Someone needs to get control of the NCAA, they're just completely out of control. What's next, they weigh in on Roe v. Wade?

tjbison
05-31-2009, 02:13 PM
hmmm........very interesting

Bisonguy
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Not suprising at all. Academics, drugs, and gambling are the largest issues the NCAA is concerned about by far. They've had their "Don't bet on it" campaign going on for years. Heck, over on AGS the word 'bet' or 'gamble' was (possibly still is) filtered if you try to use it in a post.

ndsubison1
05-31-2009, 05:59 PM
give me a break...

bisonaudit
05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I think the NCAA and basically all of the pro leagues have this gambling thing totally backwards. Gambling on their events is a fact of life. Legal or illegal it is a reality. Rather than PR window dressing like this prohibition on playoff games in states that sanction gaming, they need to face up to reality and cut the political BS. The most effective way to ensure the integrity of your contests in a world where gambling exists is not to pretend that it isn't happening. The best solution is to legalize it, institutionalize it, regulate it and use the resultant data to identify irregularities in betting patterns indicative of cheating.

The NCAA knows this. The Arizona State point shaving incident in the late 1990s was uncovered in Vegas by the sports books and their regulators. That's one example. When it comes to preserving the integrity of an athletic contest, the legal sports book is or should be the NCAAs best friend, not their worst enemy.

Shawn-O
05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
The NCAA has gone berserk. Now if Montana and Montana State were to move up to FBS Football, it seems to me that it would mitigate all of this.

TheBisonator
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
The NCAA has gone berserk. Now if Montana and Montana State were to move up to FBS Football, it seems to me that it would mitigate all of this.

Perhaps there needs to be some kind of anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA, something that will end their power trip.

Shawn-O
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Perhaps there needs to be some kind of anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA, something that will end their power trip.

Did you just smack me?

IzzyFlexion
05-31-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll let B-Nator answer for himself.......but I don't think so. I, for one, would like to see some steps taken that might curb some of their "righteousness".

Shawn-O
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
I'll let B-Nator answer for himself.......but I don't think so. I, for one, would like to see some steps taken that might curb some of their "righteousness".

I think you might be right, sorry B-Nator. What is the tipping point where the big boys (BCS schools) will walk? They (NCAA) will eventually overreach.

TheBisonator
05-31-2009, 11:30 PM
I think you might be right, sorry B-Nator. What is the tipping point where the big boys (BCS schools) will walk? They (NCAA) will eventually overreach.

I wasn't smacking, Shawn-O. I think the NCAA is coming dangerously close to acting like a cartel. They're acting like more than just an organization these days.

56BISON73
06-01-2009, 01:07 AM

If thats what you want then every school attached to the organization would also be involved. Wiithout the schools bending over to them they would hold no power.
Now if all the schools were to tell the NCAA to take a hike and no more money would be coming their way then they would no longer exist.

Shawn-O
06-01-2009, 01:35 AM
If thats what you want then every school attached to the organization would also be involved. Wiithout the schools bending over to them they would hold no power.
Now if all the schools were to tell the NCAA to take a hike and no more money would be coming their way then they would no longer exist.

This will eventually happen if they F' with the wrong hombre. They are on the periphery with the Delawares, Montanas, and North Dakotas.

bisonmike2
06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry Montana, you can't host a playoff game because your state allows people to legally win money on office pools and fantasy leagues. Nevermind that fact that every other state just ignores enforcing those laws, and also don't pay attention to the fact that the office pools and fantasy leagues make our sports enormously more popular. By the way, please enjoy watching our 50 meaningless bowl games such as the Meineke Muffler Bowl, the San Diego Poinsetta Bowl brought to you by the San Diego Credit Union and the Motor City Bowl held in beautiful and fabulous Detroit. Oh, and I almost forgot about our FBS championship game. A championship game that doesn't feature 2 teams that earned their way there. Instead, it features 2 teams who are essentially only there because they won a popularity contest and were voted in by a computer and a bunch of coaches who are only concerned with watching and analyzing opponents on their own schedule.

Way to go NCAA. You suck.

Tatanka
06-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Way to go NCAA. You suck.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/LMAO.png