PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Baseball Tournament

Hammersmith
05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Our current conference-mate(ORU) destroyed our former conference-mate(Cal-Poly) 13-3 in their first game of the Tempe regional. They face Arizona State at 9 tonight. Let's hope they get some revenge for our women.

In the "It's Good To Be The King" category, the number 1 seeds went 15-0 yesterday in their regionals, with one game delayed due to weather.

In the "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" category, Georgia must not have thought much of Florida State's 16-4 pounding of Marist, because they turned around and completely crushed Ohio State 24-8.

ndsubison1
05-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Overall 1 seed Texas and BC are in the bottom of the 23rd right now tied at 2 :eeek: :eek:

ndsubison1
05-31-2009, 05:53 AM
and we're going 25 baby... no use goin to sleep now

BTW this game is on ESPNU

ndsubison1
05-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Texas takes the lead 3-2 Top 25th still...

ndsubison1
05-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Texas wins 3-2... longest game in NCAA History

bisonaudit
05-31-2009, 06:24 PM
SI just had a story this week about "The Greatest Game Ever Pitched."

Harvey Haddix threw 12 perfect innings for Pittsburgh on May 26, 1959. He lost 1-0.

Apparently one of the relief pitchers for Texas threw 12 no-hit innings last night to keep his team in this game. Remarkable performance, with a more just outcome, 50 years to the week after "Hard Luck Harvey."

O-Rizzle 4-Shizzle
06-01-2009, 01:46 AM
#2 ORU up on #1 Arizona
3-0
bottom of the third.

O-Rizzle 4-Shizzle
06-01-2009, 02:49 AM
3-2

ORU...

but the devils have bases loaded with 1 out.

Rabbitlivinginverm
06-01-2009, 02:57 AM
In the "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" category, Georgia must not have thought much of Florida State's 16-4 pounding of Marist, because they turned around and completely crushed Ohio State 24-8.

Continuing with the "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" theme...Florida State must not have thought too much of Georgia's pounding of Ohio State shell shocked Ohio State 37-6! Wow! That doesn't speak too well of Ohio State's pitching...

aces1180
06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I hate aluminum bats....There is no reason that teams should be scoring 37 runs in one game, let alone five!

coldspot
06-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I hate aluminum bats....There is no reason that teams should be scoring 37 runs in one game, let alone five!

back in 07 minot high scored 70 some runs in a double header against turtle mountain with wood bats. so it happens with wood too, but the frequency of which it happens is exponentially higher with aluminum bats.

but i do agree, aluminum bats are terrible. they allow hitters to get away with a lot of crap that just wouldnt happen with a wood bat. some evidence to back that up, my junior year of high school i hit .400, that summer i hit .350, the next spring when we went to wood i hit .230 then during legion i went back up to .330.

aces1180
06-01-2009, 01:57 PM
back in 07 minot high scored 70 some runs in a double header against turtle mountain with wood bats. so it happens with wood too, but the frequency of which it happens is exponentially higher with aluminum bats.

but i do agree, aluminum bats are terrible. they allow hitters to get away with a lot of crap that just wouldnt happen with a wood bat. some evidence to back that up, my junior year of high school i hit .400, that summer i hit .350, the next spring when we went to wood i hit .230 then during legion i went back up to .330.

Well, when Minot (one of the best teams in the state), plays arguably the worst team in the state in Class A AND Class B, I can see that happening.

However, these are the Big Ten champs we are talking about here...Without aluminum, this score doesn't happen IMO.

bisonaudit
06-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Metal bats are terrible for the game. Hitters are pitched differently w/ aluminum bats than wood because the sweet spot is so huge, it's basically impossible to jam a hitter using a metal bat.

Between that and all the armor they let guys wear, hitters are standing on top of the plate like they own the thing. Outside of Pedro, Randy Johnson, and maybe a couple of others, there aren't many guys both willing and capable of taking the inner half back from hitters.

ndsubison1
06-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I love the aluminum bat in the college game... it makes for an interesting game. Love the sound, love the high scores, love the deep shots in the CWS. It's what makes College Baseball unique

BlueBisonRock
06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I love the aluminum bat in the college game... it makes for an interesting game. Love the sound, love the high scores, love the deep shots in the CWS. It's what makes College Baseball unique

Ummmn.... Thwack! or Tinnnnggggg! To each his own. :D

Bison"FANatic"
06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
wasn't there just a article in the Forum in the last week or so about the difference in stats this year? High School went to wood bats from aluminum in ND didn't they?

ndsubison1
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Ummmn.... Thwack! or Tinnnnggggg! To each his own. :D

lol yeah that ting really gets me...

my junior year (2006) we used aluminum bats and I batted .220 that year.. the following year my senior season (2007) was when we switched to wood bats and my batting average jumped up to .270. and i had roughly the same amount of at-bats both years... lol so yea i dont know what to think about that.

aces1180
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
lol yeah that ting really gets me...

my junior year (2006) we used aluminum bats and I batted .220 that year.. the following year my senior season (2007) was when we switched to wood bats and my batting average jumped up to .270. and i had roughly the same amount of at-bats both years... lol so yea i dont know what to think about that.

Maybe you became a better hitter? ;)

I can almost guarantee if we had used wood when I played ND High School baseball, I would have had a career record of 10-1 with a 3.00 ERA as opposed to my actual record of 10-1 with a 4.50 ERA.

I can't count how many cheap pop-up home-runs I gave up because of the metal bat (I was a fly ball pitcher). I didn't help that the porch to left-field in my home park was 297 feet without the fence they put up in 2000 (It says 305, but that is wrong. I measured it when I was the groundskeeper for a summer).

The one loss came in my final game in high school and the type of bat didn't matter...We lost 6-3...Our team averaged 8-10 runs of support per start for me all season long :(.

sambini
06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
How about the 25 inninig game last weekend between Texas and Boston College 3-2?

mango
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Maybe you became a better hitter? ;)

I can almost guarantee if we had used wood when I played ND High School baseball, I would have had a career record of 10-1 with a 3.00 ERA as opposed to my actual record of 10-1 with a 4.50 ERA.

I can't count how many cheap pop-up home-runs I gave up because of the metal bat (I was a fly ball pitcher). I didn't help that the porch to left-field in my home park was 297 feet without the fence they put up in 2000 (It says 305, but that is wrong. I measured it when I was the groundskeeper for a summer).
The one loss came in my final game in high school and the type of bat didn't matter...We lost 6-3...Our team averaged 8-10 runs of support per start for me all season long :(.

That is exactly how it is in Pierre too. It might have something to do with hosting a state tournament because I think with American Legion you can't host one unless the fence is at least 300 feet.