PDA

View Full Version : Larson wins a State Tiltle

sambini
05-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Kira Larson daughter of Desiree and Don Larson. Wins the Class A High Jump at 5' 6" Kira is an 8TH GRADER at Ben Franklin competing for Fargo North. Congrats Kira++++

Castor Troy
05-23-2009, 11:19 PM
We are so happy for Kira! Kelsey and Kira grew up with the track team and they are like little sisters to us. Just think- Desi and Lars can recruit her at the dinner table and it wouldn't be a violation. 5'6" as an 8th grader is amazing! If she does go to NDSU my wife's indoor record will certainly be in jeopardy at
5' 10.25". But it would be so cool to see it happen. They are family to us and this is a special day. Kelsey placed in the LJ and TJ as well. Great job girls!

roper1313
05-28-2009, 01:42 PM
That's a great jump for any High School girl. Would just about placed in the boys this year. Class A high jump was BRUTAL this year. 5-10 and 5-8 getting points in the state meet. In 1991 I think we set the bar at 5-8 for the EDC meet. Isn't 6-2 still the AQ for state?

IzzyFlexion
05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
North Dakota is the worst friggin' state in the country to train for any of the jumping events. I'm speaking from experience.
It's an unfortunate reality, but seeing "eye popping" performances are rare. This 8th graders performance is outstanding.

Castor Troy
05-28-2009, 03:42 PM
North Dakota is the worst friggin' state in the country to train for any of the jumping events. I'm speaking from experience.
It's an unfortunate reality, but seeing "eye popping" performances are rare. This 8th graders performance is outstanding.

"Eye-Popping" is correct, sir. Kira's mom told me last night that world class high jumper Amy Acuff got wind of her 5'6" leap and sent her an autographed picture of her. Amy's friend is Bison throws coach Rachel Longfors. Amy currently still has the national 8th grade record with a leap of 5' 8 3/4."

You are also correct about the plight of jumpers in North Dakota, even though our indoor marks are pretty impressive.

roper1313
05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Yep, I agree, the weather is tough on jumpers. Plus our indoor facilities are dreadful. I could never get myself to trust the floor at BSA when planting for the high jump. It never happened, but I always invisioned myself sliding right under the bar. Not good prejump thoughts.

Does anyone remember the Bismark jumper who was going over 7 ft. in HS? It was when I was "competing" in the early 90s. That was fun to watch.

sambini
05-29-2009, 03:17 PM
He ended up going and competing for NDSU. CHARLES P. I think has the school record.

Castor Troy
05-29-2009, 03:49 PM
He ended up going and competing for NDSU. CHARLES P. I think has the school record.

Chuck Poklodnik! What a character! He was my teammate and my wife had to put up with him through high school and college. Yes, I believe Chuck shares the indoor record with Jeremy Gerditz. I think he went 7' .5".

I heard that at the state meet there were 3 jumpers left. Chuck was so good that he would start jumping when everyone else was out. The other 2 were battling at a height and one of them made the height. The other missed the height and Chuck ran up to the guy who made it and said, "Congratulations! You just took second in the state!" Classic!

roper1313
05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Chuck Poklodnik! What a character! He was my teammate and my wife had to put up with him through high school and college. Yes, I believe Chuck shares the indoor record with Jeremy Gerditz. I think he went 7' .5".

I heard that at the state meet there were 3 jumpers left. Chuck was so good that he would start jumping when everyone else was out. The other 2 were battling at a height and one of them made the height. The other missed the height and Chuck ran up to the guy who made it and said, "Congratulations! You just took second in the state!" Classic!

Thanks for the info and the memories.

Yep, I can validate that story, maybe not the quote, but in most meets he'd jump once and be the winner. Rediculous! As a sophmore who was trying to break the 6' it was amazing to watch.

BisonJump
05-30-2009, 12:17 AM

I had totally forgot about that story on Chuck. He was a trip! Those were fun HJing days at BHS with Chuck, Penny, Bobbie and Leah. I may have to figure out a way to post a video I have of an interview he gave at the indoor st

sambini
05-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Welcome Bisonjump+++

Castor Troy
05-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I had totally forgot about that story on Chuck. He was a trip! Those were fun HJing days at BHS with Chuck, Penny, Bobbie and Leah. I may have to figure out a way to post a video I have of an interview he gave at the indoor st

Penny's my wife. Small world.

BisonJump
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Penny's my wife. Small world.

That list of jumpers was a hint as to my identity Castor Troy. How many people would know that?

Thanks for the welcome Sambini. I am a proud to have competed for Sambo's Track Club a lonnnngggg time ago!

Castor Troy
05-30-2009, 01:54 PM
That list of jumpers was a hint as to my identity Castor Troy. How many people would know that?

Thanks for the welcome Sambini. I am a proud to have competed for Sambo's Track Club a lonnnngggg time ago!

Yeah, we figured that out last night. Welcome aboard.

BisonJump
05-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, we figured that out last night. Welcome aboard.

Thanks. Say Hi to your beautiful and talented wife for me!

sambini
08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Kira wins a another national title just misses a record at 5"7.5". Desiree sent me the text on it. I think they were in NORTH CAROLINIA.