PDA

View Full Version : Did Fargo bid for the Summit Tourney?

GoJacks
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Obviously, despite horrible weather, the tourney was a huge success in Sioux Falls in it's first year. I hear the Fargodome is booked up the next couple of years, but what is the talk about Fargo bidding for the Summit Tourney in the future?

With the addition of USD and soon-to-be UND, there will be 5 Summit schools within 5 hours of SF. There will be 4 Summit schools within 4 hours of Fargo. Why not trade back and forth every two years?

Bison bison
05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
I like the Tourney in the Dakotas. Sioux Falls did a great job.

However, the tourney shouldn't live here. Tulsa did a good job. It would also be nice to see IN/MI get a bid.

(That being said it's all about the quality of the proposal, not 'those guys always host'.)

GoJacks
05-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree. You should have to earn the tourney and prove beforehand that, without a dobt, you can make it successful.

I hate Tulsa as a host. They are only close to one other school (UMKC) and it is far from the only show in Tulsa (Big XII country).

Honestly the best bet would probably be switching it every two years....

SF, Fargo, SF, Fargo, SF, Quad Cities, SF, Fargo, SF, Grand Forks.....

tcbison
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Fargo has not bid for the tournament yet. The Fargodome has had scheduling conflicts with some other shows going on. Not sure when they will bid but IMHO I think they should in the future.

huckleberry
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
well, gojacks, fargodome doesnt want 10,000+ fans a day for 4 days, they'd rather have 200+ walking around a day looking at stuff they will not buy.

BlueBisonRock
05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
well, gojacks, fargodome doesnt want 10,000+ fans a day for 4 days, they'd rather have 200+ walking around a day looking at stuff they will not buy.

How does an Arizona guy gain such incredible insight to the Fargo scene? You must have a great network? :D

huckleberry
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I grad from ndsu. check the where you from thread

roadwarrior
05-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I grad from ndsu. check the where you from thread

We all know who you are with your new user name. ;)

huckleberry
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Obviously. there,is confusion mr. road and whoever else. feel free to check ip addresses. bismarck nd + sprint.

my take on this summit bid thing is spot on, thank you very much!

bison_05
05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Obviously. there,is confusion mr. road and whoever else. feel free to check ip addresses. bismarck nd + sprint.

my take on this summit bid thing is spot on, thank you very much!

what happened to Scottsdale, az?

BisBison
05-19-2009, 12:12 AM
I agree. You should have to earn the tourney and prove beforehand that, without a dobt, you can make it successful.

I hate Tulsa as a host. They are only close to one other school (UMKC) and it is far from the only show in Tulsa (Big XII country).

Honestly the best bet would probably be switching it every two years....

SF, Fargo, SF, Fargo, SF, Quad Cities, SF, Fargo, SF, Grand Forks.....

Why put grand forks in the rotation? They don't have a team in the league.

Kemo
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Why put grand forks in the rotation? They don't have a team in the league.

Assuming UND did get in the league, where would they host it in GF? Hopefully not the Betty.

If they are going to move the tourney from Sioux Falls, I think Fargo would be the only viable option in the Dakotas besides maybe Rapid City (vacation spot, lots of local support, just check the attendance #s for the Rapid City Thrillers). Vermilion is too small and Grand Forks is not that large itself and too far north, which could hinder South Dakota attendance.

Bison bison
05-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Rapid City?

Who the f do you think is going to travel to Rapid City for the Summit League Championship other than the teams, Douple, and a couple of guys returning to Sioux Falls after camping out on Brokeback Mountain?

lcbison
05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Rapid City?

Who the f do you think is going to travel to Rapid City for the Summit League Championship other than the teams, Douple, and a couple of guys returning to Sioux Falls after camping out on Brokeback Mountain?

All those Jack Fans that filled up the Sioux Falls arena for the championship game.

O wait, it was half-full, and half of those fans were from NDSU, during a blizzard. I think Southern Utah should host in Vegas.

Kemo
05-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Rapid City?

I put Rapid City down as a "maybe" because if the folks out there ran it right there is potential for success. Reasons being:

The area itself doesn't get the opportunity to see Division I basketball hardly ever, so it could be a hot ticket amongst the locals. There are some avid basketball fans in Rapid who crave a high level of basketball, as the Thrillers were the top in attendance in the CBA during their existence.

The city has the facilities for it, as, IMO, they are better than the current ones in Sioux Falls.

Be honest with yourself; Where would you rather vacation if you lived outside the area: Sioux Falls, Fargo, or Rapid City? Rapid City is built for tourism and can handle an influx people, all while giving them entertainment options outside the tournament itself.

------------------------------------------------------------

For my own personal reasons, I want the event to stay in Sioux Falls, but if I was involved in Rapid City promotions, I would seriously consider placing a bid (after doing a little research of course) for the Summit League Tournament. However, I don't see this happening in the near future, so I woudn't worry too much about it.

Bison"FANatic"
05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Rapid City would make for a nice vacation and some basketball.

BlueBisonRock
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Be honest with yourself; Where would you rather vacation if you lived outside the area: Sioux Falls, Fargo, or Rapid City? Rapid City is built for tourism and can handle an influx people, all while giving them entertainment options outside the tournament itself.

Interesting question. The tourney is held in late February. Vacation implies activities other than the tourney. . . .

When evaluating only the vacation question, I would vote for Florida or Las Vegas. Now when you evaluate only the tournement factors, Sioux Falls, Fargo, or some conference midpoint become the better alternatives.

Please don't blow smoke up our rear ends about the Dakota's being a winter vacation spot. As much as we love 'em, we know better... :hide:

NDSUstudent
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I would put the tourney in Minneapolis before I put it in Rapid City. I love Rapid City but the tourney is in the winter and that is a long drive into what can be some crazy weather.

fargocyclone
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I would put the tourney in Minneapolis before I put it in Rapid City. I love Rapid City but the tourney is in the winter and that is a long drive into what can be some crazy weather.

I would rather have the tournament in a city that would at least care about it a little bit. The people of Minneapolis (while I would love it there for personal reasons) aren't even going to notice its there. I think it would be better to put it in a Summit League town or one that has a high percentage of fans that support a Summit League team.

bisonmike2
05-20-2009, 09:37 PM

I too vote Minneapolis over Rapid City. RC is nice....between May and September. Good luck trying to drive there in late February. You'll either get 85 degrees or 10 feet of snow. That is one wacky weather destination in the winter. And Rapid City would be a pain in the ass for all the other schools to get to. Not much as for flights. Vegas would be awesome. Cheap flights, lots to do, easy for everyone to get to. But I still like Msp for the tourney especially if UND gets in. Msp has tons of alumni from SDSU, NDSU, USD and UND in the area and it's a nice destination for those who don't live here.

Kemo
05-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Interesting question. The tourney is held in late February. Vacation implies activities other than the tourney. . . .

When evaluating only the vacation question, I would vote for Florida or Las Vegas. Now when you evaluate only the tournement factors, Sioux Falls, Fargo, or some conference midpoint become the better alternatives.

Please don't blow smoke up our rear ends about the Dakota's being a winter vacation spot. As much as we love 'em, we know better... :hide:
I used other factors (such as support from local fans) to narrow it down to the options of Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Rapid City, and then moved on to the question the most desired vacation spots out of those three. Sure Florida and Vegas would be nice to vacation at in late Feb/ early Mar, but local support is critical, and the locals won't be interested enough to show up to the event, making them not a very good options to host the tournament.

I don't want to give off the impression that I think Rapid City is the best option, but I do think they are 1 of 3 viable options in the Dakotas next to Sioux Falls and Fargo. I only brought up Rapid City as a possible site due to a previous post mentioning Grand Forks as a tourney site, which I think would be a bad idea.

NDSUstudent
05-20-2009, 09:56 PM
I would rather have the tournament in a city that would at least care about it a little bit. The people of Minneapolis (while I would love it there for personal reasons) aren't even going to notice its there. I think it would be better to put it in a Summit League town or one that has a high percentage of fans that support a Summit League team.

I don't know, I think there would be a lot of alumni in Minneapolis for Summit League schools and especially NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD. NDSU and UND might have around 30,000 alumni alone in the Twin Cities. I think the media would give it a little press as well, it would be a nice regional story and would feature a ton of Minnesota athletes.

The more and more I think about the better idea this becomes. Short of Fargo and Sioux Falls is there going to be city where this is a big deal? I know there is Tulsa but there are Big 12 schools, another DI university, and an NBA team in that same area. Same with Kansas City, same with Fort Wayne, same with Detroit. Minneapolis might be the best neutral host if you could find the right venue.

fargocyclone
05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't know, I think there would be a lot of alumni in Minneapolis for Summit League schools and especially NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD. NDSU and UND might have around 30,000 alumni alone in the Twin Cities. I think the media would give it a little press as well, it would be a nice regional story and would feature a ton of Minnesota athletes.

The more and more I think about the better idea this becomes. Short of Fargo and Sioux Falls is there going to be city where this is a big deal? I know there is Tulsa but there are Big 12 schools, another DI university, and an NBA team in that same area. Same with Kansas City, same with Fort Wayne, same with Detroit. Minneapolis might be the best neutral host if you could find the right venue.

Target Center or the Barn? I didn't like the Dome for basketball.

Kemo
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM

I thought about Minneapolis a bit, but the problem lies in who is going to bid on it from the Twin Cities and where would it be played?

The tournament wouldn't have nearly the economic impact on Minneapolis as it would Sioux Falls, Fargo, etc..., so what company/organization would feel that hosting the Summit League tournament would help them enough economically to warrant an appropriate bid?

Also, what venue would they be able to reserve for 4 straight days that could handle the event? The Target Center isn't going to tell the NBA not to schedule a T-Wolves' home game on a certain date because it is reserved for the Summit League Tournament.

I also question how successful the tourney would be to begin with, as I think it could be really hit or miss pending on what is going on at the time. There are just a lot of other things to do in the Cities besides watch a mid major basketball tournament.

NDSUstudent
05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Target Center or the Barn? I didn't like the Dome for basketball.

Target Center, at least until NDSU actually wins a game in the Barn and it isn't like the Wolves are filling the place.

NDSUstudent
05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I thought about Minneapolis a bit, but the problem lies in who is going to bid on it from the Twin Cities and where would it be played?

The tournament wouldn't have nearly the economic impact on Minneapolis as it would Sioux Falls, Fargo, etc..., so what company/organization would feel that hosting the Summit League tournament would help them enough economically to warrant an appropriate bid?

Also, what venue would they be able to reserve for 4 straight days that could handle the event? The Target Center isn't going to tell the NBA not to schedule a T-Wolves' home game on a certain date because it is reserved for the Summit League Tournament.

I also question how successful the tourney would be to begin with, as I think it could be really hit or miss pending on what is going on at the time. There are just a lot of other things to do in the Cities besides watch a mid major basketball tournament.

The MVC does pretty good in St. Louis, I think the Dakota schools would take Minneapolis over. It also is much closer for WIU and the Indiana schools. not to mention an easy flight.

They might have to use another venue if there is conflict, maybe Williams Arena or the Pavillion on Minnesota's campus. Both are close to downtown.

I wouldn't undersell the fact that Minneapolis is a huge hub for alumni, I think a bid could be worked out considering all the connections and I'm sure the downtown hotels know that both NDSU and UND can take over the city. Both schools travel very well to the Twin Cities.

I think the tourney could be a huge hit in Minneapolis, it is a least worth a shot if the four Dakota schools all got in and are all eligible.

jjbballfan
05-21-2009, 05:04 AM
first of all I really don't know much of a winter weather difference between Minneapolis and Rapid City.... as far as I can tell it snows in both places and its cold in both places most of the time.... SF works good, Fargo could work but... I think the big question is can anybody pony up the money that Sioux Falls can? That is the main reason it was there, it wasn't there for the facilities, it wasn't there because of a show of respect to a charter member or anything.... It was there for the money..... and until somebody can come close, Sioux Falls will keep it in my eyes.....

SUBISON247
05-21-2009, 05:16 AM
I still feel Bismarck would be a great fit.

NDSUstudent
05-21-2009, 05:30 AM
first of all I really don't know much of a winter weather difference between Minneapolis and Rapid City.... as far as I can tell it snows in both places and its cold in both places most of the time.... SF works good, Fargo could work but... I think the big question is can anybody pony up the money that Sioux Falls can? That is the main reason it was there, it wasn't there for the facilities, it wasn't there because of a show of respect to a charter member or anything.... It was there for the money..... and until somebody can come close, Sioux Falls will keep it in my eyes.....

The weather out west is a lot more extreme and the drive to Minneapolis is 4 1/2 hours less.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fargo puts up a similar bid if the dome could ever clear its date conflicts.

Bison bison
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I put Rapid City down as a "maybe" because if the folks out there ran it right there is potential for success. Reasons being:

The area itself doesn't get the opportunity to see Division I basketball hardly ever, so it could be a hot ticket amongst the locals. There are some avid basketball fans in Rapid who crave a high level of basketball, as the Thrillers were the top in attendance in the CBA during their existence.

I hear eskimos love basketball. Maybe the Summit should put the Championship in Nome.

Bison bison
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
The MVC does pretty good in St. Louis, I think the Dakota schools would take Minneapolis over. It also is much closer for WIU and the Indiana schools. not to mention an easy flight.

They might have to use another venue if there is conflict, maybe Williams Arena or the Pavillion on Minnesota's campus. Both are close to downtown.

I wouldn't undersell the fact that Minneapolis is a huge hub for alumni, I think a bid could be worked out considering all the connections and I'm sure the downtown hotels know that both NDSU and UND can take over the city. Both schools travel very well to the Twin Cities.

I think the tourney could be a huge hit in Minneapolis, it is a least worth a shot if the four Dakota schools all got in and are all eligible.

I think this could definitely work.

-Gotta do it at the Target Center. Can't play the games one the home court of a non-conference member.

bisonmike2
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Xcel Center might work too. I'm not sure if they have a basketball court or not. As far as the Target Center goes The T-wolves could try to piggy back a promotion with the Summit tourney games. I could see their promotion now. "Buy Summit Tourney Tickets and receive free 2010 T-Wolves season tickets!"

gotts
05-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Xcel Center might work too. I'm not sure if they have a basketball court or not. As far as the Target Center goes The T-wolves could try to piggy back a promotion with the Summit tourney games. I could see their promotion now. "Buy Summit Tourney Tickets and receive free 2010 T-Wolves season tickets!"

Xcel has a basketball setup, they used to have the state high school championships there...

IndyBison
05-22-2009, 03:22 AM

Nothing says the tournament has to be 4 consecutive days. Many other tournaments put a couple days between games. They could easily work around a T-wolves schedule if they had to.

Bison bison
05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
You know who should bid on it?

The Metro Sports Commission / ie the metrodome.

The venue isn't great, but they will be looking for business.

I don't doubt 5,000 fans from NDSU, 3,000 from SDSU and 2,000 fans from UND and USD would make the trip. Double any school's attendance if they have 2009 Bisonesque qualities. Plus a few thousand from other schools.

5+3+4+2=14,000. That's probably ballpark of how were at the NDSU/KU game.

I disagree that the conference can't take over Minneapolis. NDSU has taken over that town three times - alone. Add those yahoos from up north, SDSU, and USD and you've got a real deal, big city event.

JACKGUYII
05-23-2009, 04:40 PM
The tournament may be in Sioux Falls for a while:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090523/SPORTS0202/905230334/1002/sports

Kemo
05-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Nothing says the tournament has to be 4 consecutive days. Many other tournaments put a couple days between games. They could easily work around a T-wolves schedule if they had to.
It doesn't have to be 4 days, but they will lose money and fans if they can't finish it up in that time. Much easier for fans to get 2 week days off of work than 3, 4, or even the whole week, so fan support could suffer; plus costs more to house the teams for longer and cost fans more if they want to attend the entire tourney, so if they want the max financial benefit for the tourney they need to get it done in four days.

IndyBison
05-24-2009, 03:20 AM
It doesn't have to be 4 days, but they will lose money and fans if they can't finish it up in that time. Much easier for fans to get 2 week days off of work than 3, 4, or even the whole week, so fan support could suffer; plus costs more to house the teams for longer and cost fans more if they want to attend the entire tourney, so if they want the max financial benefit for the tourney they need to get it done in four days.
I don't disagree with your comments but many of the other tournaments don't play consecutive days. They don't all have the travel distances of the Summit though.

The Horizon has the oddest format with the #1 and #2 teams getting byes to the semi-finals and the first two rounds being played at the site of one of the schools. IIRC the semi-finals are played at the #1 seed and they also host the finals if they win. If they don't win, the highest seeded remaining team hosts. Because of this format the games are spread out over several days. The semi-finals were Saturday and the finals were Tuesday.

Bison bison
05-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Glad you posted about the Horizon, Indy.

There format is intriguing, but I strongly prefer single location.

I want a chance to see more than 2 conference teams playing.

Kemo
05-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I don't disagree with your comments but many of the other tournaments don't play consecutive days. They don't all have the travel distances of the Summit though.

The Horizon has the oddest format with the #1 and #2 teams getting byes to the semi-finals and the first two rounds being played at the site of one of the schools. IIRC the semi-finals are played at the #1 seed and they also host the finals if they win. If they don't win, the highest seeded remaining team hosts. Because of this format the games are spread out over several days. The semi-finals were Saturday and the finals were Tuesday.

Yah, that's definitely an interesting format for the Horizon, but I'm more of a fan of having one site for the entire tourney... though it would be interesting to see how they do in terms of profits with that format.

roadwarrior
05-24-2009, 06:28 AM
After attending the past Summit tourney in Sioux Falls, I am planning on going every year. It's a great event!

Gully
05-24-2009, 05:23 PM
After attending the past Summit tourney in Sioux Falls, I am planning on going every year. It's a great event!

It was a lot of fun wasn't it. The games were great but it was also fun hanging out at the hotel, chatting with Bison fans and the player's families. Also wondering what Lakes would do next.:D

IndyBison
05-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Glad you posted about the Horizon, Indy.

There format is intriguing, but I strongly prefer single location.

I want a chance to see more than 2 conference teams playing.

I agree a single location is better and I really don't get the logic of the Horizon format. it does give a huge reward to the top 2 teams in the regular season but it's so unusual. I think conferences that have teams closer in proximity can keep it in a single location but spread it out over more days if necessary. The Big 10 Women's Tournament used to give the Saturday to the Indiana girls HS basketball finals but will not do that any longer.

Ferd
05-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Absolutely! We didn't miss a single game.

(Though I wouldn't mind having it in Fargo.)

SDbison
05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Absolutely! We didn't miss a single game.

(Though I wouldn't mind having it in Fargo.)
Its OK for the tourney to be in Sioux Falls as long as SDSU sucks, but if SDSU gets better, watch out as they will essentially have a home court advantage. I don't think any Summit team should have the tourney in their backyard for any more than 2 out of 5 years.
To answer some Jacka$$ fan for a post a while back, I think Fargo is more than capable of putting up the money to host the tournament. Sioux Falls is not that special. The entertainment scene is about as good as a town of 20,000. The ancient arena and no clubs, or venues remotely close to the hub in Fargo. The base of hotels is barely adequate since there is no need to support concerts with 20,000 to 25,000 fans.

JACKGUYII
05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Its OK for the tourney to be in Sioux Falls as long as SDSU sucks, but if SDSU gets better, watch out as they will essentially have a home court advantage. I don't think any Summit team should have the tourney in their backyard for any more than 2 out of 5 years.
To answer some Jacka$$ fan for a post a while back, I think Fargo is more than capable of putting up the money to host the tournament. Sioux Falls is not that special. The entertainment scene is about as good as a town of 20,000. The ancient arena and no clubs, or venues remotely close to the hub in Fargo. The base of hotels is barely adequate since there is no need to support concerts with 20,000 to 25,000 fans.

If Fargo is so special and more than capable of putting up the money than why don't they? I'm not going to argue over which city is better as that is totally subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. I will correct you on hotel rooms as both CVB's reference around 4100 on their websites with Sioux Falls having over 1000 within a square mile of the Arena. More than adequate. And no I don't think SDSU will suck in Men's Basketball much longer and your right it will be a significant home court advantage!

NDSUstudent
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
There has been a conflict with another event already booked at the dome both times. I'd look for Fargo to put in a bid next time though.

SDbison
05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
There has been a conflict with another event already booked at the dome both times. I'd look for Fargo to put in a bid next time though.
Yeah, make the circus move. Why can't they have the goofy circus at the Fargo Civic or the Urban Plains Center?

bisonmike2
05-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah, make the circus move. Why can't they have the goofy circus at the Fargo Civic or the Urban Plains Center?

I thought the conflict has always been the sportsman's show? I've said move that but apparently the sportsman's show being held in Fargo on that particular weekend is the all important cog of the American economy and moving it would cause the failure of capitalism.:banghead:

ndsubison1
05-27-2009, 03:55 AM
state basketball tournaments...

bisonmike2
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Even if SDSU gets better at b-ball I'm not worried about them taking over in SF during the tournament. We've always traveled well in all sports and at worst I'd say they'd have a 60-40 advantaged.

GoJacks
05-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Even if SDSU gets better at b-ball I'm not worried about them taking over in SF during the tournament. We've always traveled well in all sports and at worst I'd say they'd have a 60-40 advantaged.

Well, we sucked this year.....but ask Oral Roberts if we can take over the Arena or not.

And, for the record, we're not going to suck like we have (5 straight years of 20 losses) again for a long time, if ever. We'll be the most improved team in the Summit next year. It still won't be enough to get us past Oakland or ORU, but third is possible. Our improvement, the addition of USD, another year of fans and residents getting familiar w/ the Summit and the success of last years tourney should get even more local SDSU fans to the Arena. Look for our attendance at Frost to go up 500+ or more a game as well.

bisonmike2
05-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, we sucked this year.....but ask Oral Roberts if we can take over the Arena or not.

And, for the record, we're not going to suck like we have (5 straight years of 20 losses) again for a long time, if ever. We'll be the most improved team in the Summit next year. It still won't be enough to get us past Oakland or ORU, but third is possible. Our improvement, the addition of USD, another year of fans and residents getting familiar w/ the Summit and the success of last years tourney should get even more local SDSU fans to the Arena. Look for our attendance at Frost to go up 500+ or more a game as well.

But tickets will still be made public and NDSU fans will buy them. If NDSU and SDSU are playing in SF, NDSU fans will find a way to get tickets.

GoJacks
05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
No doubt, you'll buy tickets. You guys support your program as well as any mid or low major program in America. It's all Fargo has (as far as sports) and that's a good thing. I wish SF would lose the Skyforce and others so the main focus would be on SDSU.

I'm glad we have schools like NDSU that will support the Summit tourney in SF. Truth be told, it's probably better in SF than in Fargo b/c you guys travel better than anyone in the Summit.