PDA

View Full Version : Ed Schultz and NDSU Radio Contract

NDSUstudent
05-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Ed Schultz eyes a return to the NDSU football booth
By: Dave Roepke, INFORUM

Fargo’s foremost sportscaster turned pundit wants to return to the press box.

Ed Schultz, the liberal political talk-show host, is eyeing the job he held for 13 years before he made the jump from WDAY television to radio in 1996: calling North Dakota State University football games.

“Would I do the Bison? You’re damn right I would. Absolutely I would,” said Schultz on his nationally syndicated radio show on Wednesday, the day the show began airing live locally on KQLX 106.1 FM.

If he does mount a return to the Bison booth, it won’t happen immediately.

The lineup of football announcers – Scott Miller of WDAY 970 AM and former NDSU defensive lineman Phil Hansen – will not change in 2009-2010, said Jeremy Jorgenson, director of sales and broadcasting for the NDSU athletic department.

“We’re set in stone for next year,” said Jorgenson, who also reports from the sideline during Bison football broadcasts.

Schultz said Thursday he plans to back a bid for the rights to Bison broadcasts, a contract that’s long been held by WDAY and that expires after next year’s basketball season.

“Obviously, I’m thinking long-term. The Ed Schultz brand isn’t leaving Fargo,” he said.

Schultz said he could either make an offer through his broadcasting company or KQLX, an NDSU affiliate that airs Bison games, could join in the bidding.

“There’s a number of different ways we could go,” he said.

Jorgenson said negotiations for Bison broadcast rights.....For more click on link....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/239905/group/Sports/

BlueBisonRock
05-08-2009, 05:34 AM

Ed Schultz, the liberal political talk-show host, is eyeing the job he held for 13 years before he made the jump from WDAY television to radio in 1996: calling North Dakota State University football games.

“Would I do the Bison? You’re damn right I would. Absolutely I would,” said Schultz on his nationally syndicated radio show on Wednesday, the day the show began airing live locally on KQLX 106.1 FM.

The lineup of football announcers – Scott Miller of WDAY 970 AM and former NDSU defensive lineman Phil Hansen – will not change in 2009-2010, said Jeremy Jorgenson, director of sales and broadcasting for the NDSU athletic department.

“We’re set in stone for next year,” said Jorgenson, who also reports from the sideline during Bison football broadcasts.

Schultz said Thursday he plans to back a bid for the rights to Bison broadcasts, a contract that’s long been held by WDAY and that expires after next year’s basketball season.

“Obviously, I’m thinking long-term. The Ed Schultz brand isn’t leaving Fargo,” he said.

Schultz said he could either make an offer through his broadcasting company or KQLX, an NDSU affiliate that airs Bison games, could join in the bidding.

Jorgenson said negotiations for Bison broadcast rights.....For more click on link....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/239905/group/Sports/

Jeremy, There's an old sayin' about riding the horse that got you there....

If you do choose, to change, please remember to paint a target on the pressbox for the halftime bottle throwing contest.

ndsubison1
05-08-2009, 05:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3k18y6_j0

Leonardite
05-08-2009, 05:51 AM
http://www.wickedsunshine.com/WagePeace/Election2004/Images/AwJeez,NotThisShitAgain!.jpg

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 05:55 AM

HELL YEAH BABY!!
I love Scott Miller but Big Eddie is the MAN!

CaBisonFan
05-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Bring it on. Throw politics aside. He is a big voice. He was the voice of the Bison dynasty. He would actually PROMOTE the program.

I don't really like Ed's attitude on some things...but I like his courage. He's arrogant...but a winning program has some arrogance. Ed was a part of the dynasty.

Forget the beer incident. It was a meltdown. Big deal. I know about meltdowns.

He would raise the profile both in the FM area...and in the region.

BlueBisonRock
05-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Bring it on. Throw politics aside. He is a big voice. He was the voice of the Bison dynasty. He would actually PROMOTE the program.

I don't really like Ed's attitude on some things...but I like his courage. He's arrogant...but a winning program has some arrogance. Ed was a part of the dynasty.

Forget the beer incident. It was a meltdown. Big deal. I know about meltdowns.

He would raise the profile both in the FM area...and in the region.

Sorry CA. I had the opportunity to play in the FM City FB League against him (before he made it to the big time). Lets just say that I have not been a big Eddie fan since. It especially pains me to think about him represent NDSU.

ndsubison1
05-08-2009, 07:04 AM
i can only imagine some of the signs in the student section...

unbison
05-08-2009, 11:04 AM
people should throw things at this arrogant prick..... I remember a huge summer storm about 10 years ago.... I was at the lake so was listening to updates by ed.... the first thing he had to check out on the air was his airplane... how pompus can we get?

mebisonII
05-08-2009, 12:02 PM

I've never followed Eddie much, but comments like this make it sound like he's pretty much just concerned about himself.

bison mom
05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
After he left the Bison he started broadcasting the Sioux games and had no respect for NDSU. He spoke badly of the Bison and even slammed the players. I remember thinking how unprofessional he was and being happy he was gone. Now that NDSU is Division 1 he wants to come back, but I'll never forget the comments he made about the Bison.

I hope he stays away as he is not well respected in the area!

BisBison
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
What will this guy think of next??? First a Bison then a sue, first a repub then a dem. I hope we stay with the same guys, they do a good job, but Ed is right on one thing. Opening this thing up for bids can't be anything but good for the Bison moneywise.

WYOBISONMAN
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Why not throw another bidder in the mix? In the end it will mean more $$$$$$ for NDSU.....and that is GOOD Thing.

SirHinn
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd be shocked if the Bison don't end up on KFGO. They clearly are going to go to a station with the strongest signal through out the state.

aces1180
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
If they would replace Scotty and that is a big if, I would love to see Jack Michaels back doing games...Yes, he is in Bismarck doing the U-Mary games, but I think he would be a great choice.

However, I'm happy with Scott and Phil.

If Ed gets the job, I'll listen to the student broadcasts (when needed).

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Ed is clearly only concerned with Ed. Anyone who hasn't figured that out hasn't followed his career......

However, Ed is the best play by play anouncer I have ever heard do Bison football. As CA said, he was the voice of the dynasty. Also, I agree with Wyo that this helps drives up the price which helps NDSU.

Bring on the competition, and good luck to all parties. I will be happy either way.

Bison15
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
i can only imagine some of the signs in the student section...

Maybe in the rest of the dome but not the student section. I bet most of those kids don't even know about the whiskey bottle or pay attention to Ed. I do however guarantee that "the one who shall not be named" would have a sign. Something about a dog perhaps.

tcbison
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I really hope Ed doesn't get the contract. Granted he is a good voice and play by play announcer but when he was ending his career at NDSU he was such a UND homer that I couldn't listen to him any more. In 1991 and 1992 NDSU beat UND and he ranted and raved about UND and how they have to be in the playoffs. Even though NDSU won the game all he did was talk about UND. It just made me sick. I would contend that he was announcing more for UND in those years than he was for NDSU. Just say no to Ed.

Bison"FANatic"
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if money can rebuild the bridges Ed burned. NDSU will come out financially in this but I sure would miss the "MY OH MY"! Scott does a great job at announcing.

DORMIE
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I belive that there will never be Ed Schultz as the voice of the Bison as long as Joe Chapman is president of the University. If you recall when they were doing some repairs to the Presidents House(mostly to make it handicap accessable) Ed was all over it. Called him Joe Chumpman. Joe doesn't have a lot of respect for Ed. I wish he would just go away.

BlueBisonRock
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
It will be interesting to see if money can rebuild the bridges Ed burned. NDSU will come out financially in this but I sure would miss the "MY OH MY"! Scott does a great job at announcing.

Agreed.

There are some things that money just can not buy.

tcbison
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I belive that there will never be Ed Schultz as the voice of the Bison as long as Joe Chapman is president of the University. If you recall when they were doing some repairs to the Presidents House(mostly to make it handicap accessable) Ed was all over it. Called him Joe Chumpman. Joe doesn't have a lot of respect for Ed. I wish he would just go away.

When was the last time Ed Schultz said something good about NDSU? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 02:16 PM
When was the last time Ed Schultz said something good about NDSU? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

He always said good things about the Bison on News and Views. Always. And when the Sioux were kicking our butts in the 90's, he usually picked NDSU to win.

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
What will this guy think of next??? First a Bison then a sue, first a repub then a dem. I hope we stay with the same guys, they do a good job, but Ed is right on one thing. Opening this thing up for bids can't be anything but good for the Bison moneywise.

In all fairness, Scott Miller used to be the voice of the Sioux.

I don't have an issue with someone whos political views evolve. I don't think the same way now as I did when I was 18. For a guy who everyone on this board calls arrogant, I find him to be quite compassionate.

Green-N-Gold
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I really hope Ed doesn't get the contract. Granted he is a good voice and play by play announcer but when he was ending his career at NDSU he was such a UND homer that I couldn't listen to him any more. In 1991 and 1992 NDSU beat UND and he ranted and raved about UND and how they have to be in the playoffs. Even though NDSU won the game all he did was talk about UND. It just made me sick. I would contend that he was announcing more for UND in those years than he was for NDSU. Just say no to Ed.

You are right on. During the last few Bison/UND games as the BISON announcer, all he could do was cut down NDSU and praise the Sioux, even though they lost. He is a Tool with a capital T who only cares about himself.

aces1180
05-08-2009, 02:30 PM
You are right on. During the last few Bison/UND games as the BISON announcer, all he could do was cut down NDSU and praise the Sioux, even though they lost. He is a Tool with a capital T who only cares about himself.

Plus he got in a fight at the Hotel Shoreham between Lake Sallie and Lake Melissa and also shot his dog.

I just had to add that. ;)

EagleBison
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Here's an old link about the man who would be king, Ed Schultz

Link (http://www.readexiled.com/manwho.htm)

Here's one man's list of favorite Ed Schultz Stories:

· In the early eighties, Ed was doing play-by-play of a North Dakota/Wisconsin hockey game in Madison for WDAY. The two schools had a nasty rivalry in this era, many times erupting into fisticuffs on the ice. At this game, a brawl between players broke out. The beer garden was located adjacent to the Sioux bench, and drunken Badger fans were harassing the Sioux players. Legendary UND goon Jim Archibald left the bench and squared off with a fan. Meanwhile, Wisconsin fans were taunting the North Dakota broadcasters, inviting them to join the fray. Over the air, Ed was heard to yell regarding one Badger fan: "I'd like to take a poke at THAT bozo!!!"

· In the eighties Ed, in an affront to objective journalism, was known to wear North Dakota State Bison shirts while doing the evening sports on WDAY.

· In the late eighties, Ed was doing play-by-play of a Bison football game. Somebody seated in the student section threw a whiskey bottle at the broadcast booth. Ed left the booth, descended into the crowd, and accosted the students who he felt were the culprits. Judge, jury? Yeah, right!! I like to believe that punches were thrown, but all I remember is that NDSU students were livid in their disdain for Ed after the incident. An anti-Ed campaign ensued on campus in the following days and weeks as many students wore pins that featured a caricature of Ed's bandaged face with a line through it.

· When Ed was hired by UND to cover their football games for radio, Grand Forks Herald columnist Ryan Bakken wrote a lengthy column reminiscing on how when Ed covered rival North Dakota State, he would mock and belittle the Sioux. Bakken said UND was making a "deal with the devil" by hiring Ed.

· It is rumored that Ed was once hunting and shot his own dog.

KilldeerBison
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
He always said good things about the Bison on News and Views. Always. And when the Sioux were kicking our butts in the 90's, he usually picked NDSU to win.

Sorry, that's not the way I remember it, I remember alot of attacks on NDSU, especially when they made the decision to move to D-1. I remember Ed as leader of the pack of the "NDSU Attack". I e-mailed him a few years ago asking about NDSU, he implied that NDSU was not being honest about their finances regarding the D-1 move, NDSU would still fail at their move to D-1, the wheels would still fall off. This was shortly before UND announced their intention to move to D-1. After that, it seemed like Ed changed his opinion about moving to D-1. I think Ed would not be a good move for NDSU, just my opinion.

Ferd
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
First off, I Like Scott and Phil. They do a great job and I really enjoy the positive attitude they project. They're very professional and just like "one of the family."

That said, and as much as I dislike Eddie's arrogance, I can't think of anyone that makes a game sound more exciting than Eddie did. OK, maybe some hockey announcers, but Eddie always generates a huge amount of enthusiasm. He even had me on the edge of my seat on the few occasions I listened to him broadcast the "johnny-come-latelys."

I don't know how he can come up with a package that includes the print media like Forum Communication can. Maybe they need to split the media contracts. Hmmm?

Green-N-Gold
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Plus he got in a fight at the Hotel Shoreham between Lake Sallie and Lake Melissa and also shot his dog.

And don't forget the chant not long after "Ed shot his dog" was "Ed beats his wife." Those were good days to be in college. The "bottle" game was the most fun FB game I've ever been to.

I just had to add that too ;)

MontanaBisonFan
05-08-2009, 03:13 PM
The North Dakota legislature should pass a law that The ED Show can not be broadcast in North Dakota nor could he participate in any NDSU broadcast.

To bad that whiskey bottle missed.

Scotty and Phil are the best anywhere and should be paid more.

stevdock
05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
The North Dakota legislature should pass a law that The ED Show can not be broadcast in North Dakota nor could he participate in any NDSU broadcast.

To bad that whiskey bottle missed.

Scotty and Phil are the best anywhere and should be paid more.

Now that's a law I can fully support.

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 04:27 PM
First off, I Like Scott and Phil. They do a great job and I really enjoy the positive attitude they project. They're very professional and just like "one of the family."

That said, and as much as I dislike Eddie's arrogance, I can't think of anyone that makes a game sound more exciting than Eddie did. OK, maybe some hockey announcers, but Eddie always generates a huge amount of enthusiasm. He even had me on the edge of my seat on the few occasions I listened to him broadcast the "johnny-come-latelys."

I don't know how he can come up with a package that includes the print media like Forum Communication can. Maybe they need to split the media contracts. Hmmm?

Remember, this is a guy that was up for the Vikings job and most here don't think he's good enough? He's a phenomenal announcer and he's arrogant and kind of a jackass at times, but he gets people talking and excited! He's fun to listen to and that is no disrespect to Scott Miller. I would be estatic to have him back in the booth!

AKBison
05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Please no Ed. Scotty is the voice of the Bison now. Period. Living in Alaska has not allowed me to make it back to NDSU very often. However, I always try to listen to the basketball and football games over the net. Listening to Scotty is like being back home for a couple hours. I know it sounds cliche, but it is true. Hopefully, the interest in NDSU Baseball grows so Scotty can call those games as well someday.

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
So, to all of you Ed haters (I don't like all his choices, either), you would rather not have Ed bid, drive up the cost of the NDSU rights, thus generating more money for the athletic program which may, actually make the program stronger?

I fail to see the logic here. But, admittedly, I also do not understand the logic of not wanting to play UND for very similar reasons.......

tcbison
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
So, to all of you Ed haters (I don't like all his choices, either), you would rather not have Ed bid, drive up the cost of the NDSU rights, thus generating more money for the athletic program which may, actually make the program stronger?

I fail to see the logic here. But, admittedly, I also do not understand the logic of not wanting to play UND for very similar reasons.......

Driving the price up is good, along as Ed doesn't win the bid in the end. :nod:

BisBison
05-08-2009, 05:09 PM

My thoughts as well+++++

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM

I certainly understand, but I, for one think the bid price going up is more important than any problems I have with Ed and would welcome his return if he wins and also be very happy if Scott M. stays.

By the way, I think it was gabe who said he understands evolution in political views (not sure if he was serious in this statement or not for the reasons that follow). I, for one, don't think Ed's views have changed at all. When it was profitable for Ed to be a conservative, Ed was a conservative. When it was profitable for Ed to be a liberal, Ed became a liberal. When it was profitable for Ed to do UND games, he did UND games. When it was profitable for Ed to do NDSU games again, ....... Anyone see a trend here?

This is NOT meant as a political discussion, but just to point out that Ed is in things for Ed, not what he believes.

TransAmBison
05-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I certainly understand, but I, for one think the bid price going up is more important than any problems I have with Ed and would welcome his return if he wins and also be very happy if Scott M. stays.

By the way, I think it was gabe who said he understands evolution in political views (not sure if he was serious in this statement or not for the reasons that follow). I, for one, don't think Ed's views have changed at all. When it was profitable for Ed to be a conservative, Ed was a conservative. When it was profitable for Ed to be a liberal, Ed became a liberal. When it was profitable for Ed to do UND games, he did UND games. When it was profitable for Ed to do NDSU games again, ....... Anyone see a trend here?

This is NOT meant as a political discussion, but just to point out that Ed is in things for Ed, not what he believes.
Ed was an awesome announcer. He still would be...somewhere else. He made his bed. I don't want them even talking to trash like that, unless he gets a tattoo first. :nod:

Da_Bizon
05-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Here's the logic... I want to be able to listen to NDSU away games. I cannot stand his voice or his ugly face. If it came down to it, I would have to watch the webcasts without sound. Scotty and Phil are 1 million times better, and we won't have to listen to liberal, political input the whole game. All he's trying to do is to endear himself to Fargo again so that he won't keep getting fired from every radio station. Simply put, I don't care how much "national" expsorure he gives NDSU (which wouldn't really be that much because he is on the time slot nobody watches because they are on their way home from work on one of the lowest rated cable news networks there is), that arrogant prick should be banned from the airwaves of the great state of North Dakota.

Green-N-Gold
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Remember, this is a guy that was up for the Vikings job and most here don't think he's good enough? He's a phenomenal announcer and he's arrogant and kind of a jackass at times, but he gets people talking and excited! He's fun to listen to and that is no disrespect to Scott Miller. I would be estatic to have him back in the booth!

I don't think anyone here is saying he isn't a good announcer. His problem is that he has way too much baggage that would be coming along with him. I think most would say that this baggage FAR outweighs any positives he could bring.

Da_Bizon
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM

I agree... I don't think he's completely shifted to the left side either. I think he may have some views, but I believe he's in it for the money. If he drives up the price, fine, but God help us all if he gets his mouth anywhere near that microphone.

SirHinn
05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I agree... I don't think he's completely shifted to the left side either. I think he may have some views, but I believe he's in it for the money. If he drives up the price, fine, but God help us all if he gets his mouth anywhere near that microphone.

If that's not an absolute proposterous statement, I don't know what is. Explain to me how he could be in it for the money, when he's already making well over 7 figures. No offense, but I don't think NDSU could offer 1/10 of what Ed is already making.

Da_Bizon
05-08-2009, 06:14 PM
If that's not an absolute proposterous statement, I don't know what is. Explain to me how he could be in it for the money, when he's already making well over 7 figures. No offense, but I don't think NDSU could offer 1/10 of what Ed is already making.

He's doing whatever he can to make a buck. Yeah he's making well over 7 figures now, because he switched sides. I doubt he was making that much as a republican... I didn't see any national shows come calling for him then.

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't think anyone here is saying he isn't a good announcer. His problem is that he has way too much baggage that would be coming along with him. I think most would say that this baggage FAR outweighs any positives he could bring.

Baggage? You make it sound like he's Michael Vick or something. He's got the highest rated radio show in the history of Fargo-Moorhead. He's got a national radio show and TV show. He was a finalist for the Minnesota Vikings job and a phenomenal voice. He's the best we could ever find. The positives FAR outweigh any negatives he could bring.

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 06:20 PM

One would assume that the switches were over money but I don't think it's true.

I think Ed switching to UND had more to do with the poor relationship he had with the Forum, WDAY TV, and 970AM after he jumped ship to do News and Views on 790.

He didn't just switch from conservative to liberal overnight. He gradually did it and he actually switched at the peak of the republican party. He's still very conservative in many area's, like guns, but he's gone more liberal in other area's. I think his wife had more to do with that influence. There is a good writeup on his website how his views evolved over the years. One that jumped out at me is his view on the homeless. Ed from 10 years ago would have said, "go get a job." Ed of today realizes that many of these homeless are veterans of war that the government never took care of.

TransAmBison
05-08-2009, 06:22 PM

I think Ed switching to UND had more to do with the poor relationship he had with the Forum, WDAY TV, and 970AM after he jumped ship to do News and Views on 790.

He didn't just switch from conservative to liberal overnight. He gradually did it and he actually switched at the peak of the republican party. He's still very conservative in many area's, like guns, but he's gone more liberal in other area's. I think his wife had more to do with that influence. There is a good writeup on his website how his views evolved over the years. One that jumped out at me is his view on the homeless. Ed from 10 years ago would have said, "go get a job." Ed of today realizes that many of these homeless are veterans of war that the government never took care of.
I don't think I'll ever be able to read any of your posts the same again.
:(

NDSUstudent
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
This is probably more about Ed's ego and wanting to stay prominent in the area, Bison football would do that and still allow him the chance to do his national stuff.

I don't really want this to happen, I would hate to lose Scotty Miller, especially for NDSU basketball.

Green-N-Gold
05-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Baggage? You make it sound like he's Michael Vick or something. He's got the highest rated radio show in the history of Fargo-Moorhead. He's got a national radio show and TV show. He was a finalist for the Minnesota Vikings job and a phenomenal voice. He's the best we could ever find. The positives FAR outweigh any negatives he could bring.

Yes, baggage. It's already been mentioned many times already in this topic. We will just have to disagree on the positive versus negative he'd bring.

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Wow, I was quite surprised by this post. I thought you were trying to be funny in the previous one.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Ed is in things for Ed. I can't say more or be in trouble with the moderators. What I think I can say without getting in trouble, is that I don't think most of the talking heads believe everything they say, no matter if on the right or left. They are all in it for the coin, and the more outlandish they are, the more they get air play, and the more success they generate.

The biggest flaw in your argument is that Ed did leave WDAY for money. KFGO, when paying him big money to elevate the status of the station, needed to compete with WDAY, so he went after UND (he was basically in charge at the time). This is called good business. (Ed told this to me this personally in my one and only personal converstaion with him.) I would have done the same in his shoes, although I admit I am sure you are right that he did enjoy rubbing WDAY's nose in it.

So, I maintain, Ed is in it for Ed, and the move to UND had more to do with him needed to justify his big salary at the time by competing with WDAY. This was also clearly a good business more for KFGO at the time.

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Ed was an awesome announcer. He still would be...somewhere else. He made his bed. I don't want them even talking to trash like that, unless he gets a tattoo first. :nod:

So, a tatoo makes him non-trash? So, why are you so mean to Balls?

Herd80
05-08-2009, 07:20 PM
The apocolypse is near...the integration of the Ed Schultz and TABscammer threads into one. If Ed ends up with the one particular bj tatoo version, my oh my

56BISON73
05-08-2009, 07:22 PM
The apocolypse is near...the integration of the Ed Schultz and TABscammer threads into one. If Ed ends up with the one particular bj tatoo version, my oh my

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As part of his contract to be the voice of the Bison he will be required to be Member of the Holy Order of the Bison!!!!! With tatoo of course:D

TransAmBison
05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As part of his contract to be the voice of the Bison he will be required to be Member of the Holy Order of the Bison!!!!! With tatoo of course:D
If I got that I think my head would be as big as Ed's!! :D :D

ndsubison1
05-08-2009, 07:40 PM
hell no... he'd probably leave the booth anyways during a broadcast... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igoJWs7iDh0

HerdBot
05-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Wow, I was quite surprised by this post. I thought you were trying to be funny in the previous one.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Ed is in things for Ed. I can't say more or be in trouble with the moderators. What I think I can say without getting in trouble, is that I don't think most of the talking heads believe everything they say, no matter if on the right or left. They are all in it for the coin, and the more outlandish they are, the more they get air play, and the more success they generate.

The biggest flaw in your argument is that Ed did leave WDAY for money. KFGO, when paying him big money to elevate the status of the station, needed to compete with WDAY, so he went after UND (he was basically in charge at the time). This is called good business. (Ed told this to me this personally in my one and only personal converstaion with him.) I would have done the same in his shoes, although I admit I am sure you are right that he did enjoy rubbing WDAY's nose in it.

So, I maintain, Ed is in it for Ed, and the move to UND had more to do with him needed to justify his big salary at the time by competing with WDAY. This was also clearly a good business more for KFGO at the time.

Just because someone makes a career move to make more money doesn't mean every decision is based on money. (they are unrelated) I've switched jobs for more money. Scott Miller went to NDSU for more money when he was with UND.

I don't think the NDSU gig is about money. He's already rich. It's about passion and he loves NDSU/UND football. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Just because someone makes a career move to make more money doesn't mean every decision is based on money. (they are unrelated) I've switched jobs for more money. Scott Miller went to NDSU for more money when he was with UND.

I don't think the NDSU gig is about money. He's already rich. It's about passion and he loves NDSU/UND football. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I am fine with disagreeing, but you don't think Ed could make more money by doing this?

Ed wants to become more rich......

SirHinn
05-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I am fine with disagreeing, but you don't think Ed could make more money by doing this?

Ed wants to become more rich......

Do you know Ed on a personal basis or do you just have a strong hatred for him based on everything you've heard?

DORMIE
05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
About the time Ed left WDAY, the new Red Hawks stadium was being built. The corporation that owned KFGO also owned the Red Hawks. Ed was all over this, citing that the city was giving them a deal and it was a disadvantage to his station. The owner of the corporation, whom I've known since High School, told me "There's only one way so shut someone like that up. You hire him." Later, after a football game, Ed came down to the field and was told by Dr Entzion that he would have to leave. Seems that Ed had a rule that only WDAY could be on the field because they had the contract. Thus Ed left and turned on NDSU in a heartbeat. The rest is history.

TransAmBison
05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Do you know Ed on a personal basis or do you just have a strong hatred for him based on everything you've heard?
Don't mix up in this one. THEsocalledfan and I have been around long enough to know plenty about Ed. You don't defend Ed. You'd have a better chance defending OJ.

SirHinn
05-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Don't mix up in this one. THEsocalledfan and I have been around long enough to know plenty about Ed. You don't defend Ed. You'd have a better chance defending OJ.

I wasn't defending Ed, I was asking if he knew him on a personal level or if he just had a strong hatred based on everything's he's heard.

TransAmBison
05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I wasn't defending Ed, I was asking if he knew him on a personal level or if he just had a strong hatred based on everything's he's heard.
Sorry...thought you were insinuating something. My bad.

bisonhusker
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I would like it if Ed had a noon to 1 sports radio show in the market that had a Bison feel to it......That would be better than having Pat Sweeney....I mean Dan Hammer (sorry I get them confused) doing a radio show in Fargo. Even worse is "Tank." Seriously, what a yes man. He is as bad as Mr. Fun that is the sidekick on the Barriero show.

THEsocalledfan
05-08-2009, 08:53 PM

What did I say showing a strong hatred toward Ed? I have only met the man once and my thoughts are based only on watching how he handled his career, nothing more. I think he is a schill for the coin. Some would say that is good, some would say that is bad and as I clearly stated, I would be fine with Ed back in the booth as long as NDSU gets more coin, too.

Is this hatred? I don't think so.

80ALUM
05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
My thoughts as well+++++

And mine!
I like Scott Miller. I hope Ed is never,ever the voice of my beloved Bison!

80ALUM
05-08-2009, 10:07 PM
hell no... he'd probably leave the booth anyways during a broadcast... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igoJWs7iDh0

Thanks for sharing that. That is too good!

Shawn-O
05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
The guy doesn't seem exactly principle-centered when it comes to his broadcasting career or political views, but he sure can call a damn good football game.

VanClubPres
05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I think Scotty does a fine job of calling the game, and Phil is absoultley unbiased with the color commentary ;).

Scotty: Looks like a Helmet to helmet call going against the bison.
Phil: What kind of call was that!! What game are they watching.

**Complete paraphrasing. It went something like that. But I laughed and loved it all the same. **

Keep Scotty and Phil!!!

Shawn-O
05-08-2009, 11:00 PM
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2009/04/07/randi-rhodes-ed-schultz-received-startup-money-senate-democrats

BigBison
05-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I've talked with gopher fans that happen to overhear the bison play by play of scotty miller, when in northern Minneosta. And they Love our play by play team right now. They would much rather have Scotty Miller vs whoever does it for the Gophs. I've never heard Schultz calling games, but I would not want him.

Shawn-O
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I've talked with gopher fans that happen to overhear the bison play by play of scotty miller, when in northern Minneosta. And they Love our play by play team right now. They would much rather have Scotty Miller vs whoever does it for the Gophs. I've never heard Schultz calling games, but I would not want him.

The Gopher play-by-play man is KFGO-alum Dave Lee, with Dave Mona providing the color. And I would agree, they aren't very good. Hammer and the Cogswell Cannon are better.

Tatanka
05-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Scotty + Phil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ed

THEsocalledfan
05-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Scotty + Phil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ed

What do you know....you are from Missouri!

You are still just bitter on how NDSU crushed your alma matter in the playoffs when Eddie was still calling games.....

Tatanka
05-09-2009, 02:17 AM
What do you know....you are from Missouri!

You are still just bitter on how NDSU crushed your alma matter in the playoffs when Eddie was still calling games.....

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!! that was uncalled for. :D I distinctly remember the players coming back, many in tears, after that asswhooping.

But yes, you are correct.

However, having heard both Big Red and Scotty Miller, I stand by my prior statement.

FarSouth Bison
05-09-2009, 02:22 AM
How can you say that Hammer is better. Have you been drinking? The only problem with Eddy getting the Bid, is Hammer could be doing the B-ball games. God help us if that happens.

AKBison
05-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I like the way ED calls a game, in fact he is damn good at it. I have already alluded to why I think we should keep Scotty and PhilHowever, Ed has Polarized himself to half the country by becoming a liberal demagogue mouthpiece. IMO he has essentially ended his opportunity to become a relevant sports broadcaster. Its like Keith Oberman on Sunday night football. He is so lefty now that I just can't stomach to watch him at all and thus won't watch halftime or pregame. The funny thing, his buddy Dan Patrick is just about as Liberal but that is not what he is about, it is just his political beliefs. Fine with me, no problem. Same goes for Scotty and Phil, I have no idea what their politics are and I don't care. If Phil was a hard core right winger with a talk show it wouldn't bother me a bit, but it would bother 50% of Bison Nation and that is 50% to many. If Ed gets in the booth again, I will be forced to listen to the opposing teams announcers or are student radio.

North Side
05-09-2009, 02:43 AM
I vote Scott and Phil. I think they are doing a great job don't fix it if it aint broken. This Thread needs a poll!

MHDBisonfan
05-09-2009, 02:51 AM
I went to NDSU in the football "glory days" - 86 to 90, saw a ton of great football games, and at that time Eddy WAS the voice of the Bison - I loved the way he did games. I would have no problem with him doing the games. That is not to slight Scott Miller, I think he is underappreciated. Having gone to a number of road games the last couple years and listening to other schools' announcers, Scotty is head and shoulders above all of them - Gophs, Jacks, UNI, Wyo, etc. I'm good with either broadcaster. Who cares about politics, you're just listening to a football game.

MinotBison
05-09-2009, 03:29 AM
What with his national radio show and his television show, when would he have the time to do it, and if he's making the big scratch like I'm sure he is, why would he want to do it (I know, I know....E-G-O).

Ed Schultz is for anything that is for Ed Schultz. Let him be for Ed Schultz somewhere else.

HerdBot
05-09-2009, 04:01 AM
I like the way ED calls a game, in fact he is damn good at it. I have already alluded to why I think we should keep Scotty and PhilHowever, Ed has Polarized himself to half the country by becoming a liberal demagogue mouthpiece. IMO he has essentially ended his opportunity to become a relevant sports broadcaster. Its like Keith Oberman on Sunday night football. He is so lefty now that I just can't stomach to watch him at all and thus won't watch halftime or pregame. The funny thing, his buddy Dan Patrick is just about as Liberal but that is not what he is about, it is just his political beliefs. Fine with me, no problem. Same goes for Scotty and Phil, I have no idea what their politics are and I don't care. If Phil was a hard core right winger with a talk show it wouldn't bother me a bit, but it would bother 50% of Bison Nation and that is 50% to many. If Ed gets in the booth again, I will be forced to listen to the opposing teams announcers or are student radio.

I think it would piss off 50% of the super hardcore fans but the general public would be excited. Football is football. Who cares about other views. Did we care about other announcers political views? I don't unless they push it on the air. Schultz is a very qualified sports guy where guys like Dennis Miller didn't know crap about the game. Big Eddie was a QB.

westnodak93bison
05-09-2009, 04:34 AM
imho, Ed is a POS. Was the whiskey bottle game vs. Northern Michigan in 1988? I believe that was my first live Bison game and the thrower was about two sections to my left.

DORMIE
05-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Can't you dumb asses read? Not on Joe Champman's watch...... End of story...Move on... Close this thread......Never going to happen....

ndsubison1
05-09-2009, 06:35 AM
politics and sports dont mix... need to stick to the one or the other...

Civil06
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I think it would piss off 50% of the super hardcore fans but the general public would be excited. Football is football. Who cares about other views. Did we care about other announcers political views? I don't unless they push it on the air. Schultz is a very qualified sports guy where guys like Dennis Miller didn't know crap about the game. Big Eddie was a QB.

I disagree. I think the general public overall dislikes Ed. Based on his views or not, he is an ass and makes many get a vomit taste in their mouth.

Did anybody else listen to his last day on KFGO during the flood? He was still upset with Walaker for calling him an "entertainer" so he was ripping apart the Fargo leadership for not shutting down all the businesses in town. He then declared that the flood fight was going to fail for that reason. On and on he went. Completely inflammatory when people were exhausted from the flood and, before this rant, the local media had done a fantastic job of getting inforation out and keeping spirits positive. As someone who had been working since 2:30 that morning monitoring the flood, and seeing the exceptional leadership in several cities, and seeing the effort being put forth from the top down, I almost tore the radio out of my truck. I'm still pissed. I was very, very thankful that he wasn't on after that.

Somebody may know differently, but I'd bet a lot that Fat Ed didn't touch a sandbag. I have ZERO respect for him and wish I could bid up the media contract personally to keep him the hell away from my favorite teams.

WYOBISONMAN
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Can't you dumb asses read? Not on Joe Champman's watch...... End of story...Move on... Close this thread......Never going to happen....

Where was that posted?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Ed is a number one A-hole. A tool. A loud-mouth, irrationale, idot to the first degree. He has diarrhea of the mouth. He goes on tangents, spouting out of his mouth the first thing on his mind without gathering any sort of factual information to back up his opinions. He jumps to conclusions without gathering all of the facts. Fact gathering is not one of his strongsuits. He is a loose cannon, firing off in all directions. One never knows when the cannon will be aimed at oneself. A bad choice for NDSU.

IzzyFlexion
05-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Aces, admit it......you're the "Like a Rolling Stone" Karoke guy at the hotel aren't you???:D :D :D

"How does it feel!?!?"

CaBisonFan
05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Ed was a good voice of the Bison in the 80s. Wouldn't be now.

He has a high-profile job in cable entertainment news...which is pretty much all we get now...no matter what your point of view is. All of those cable channels preach to the choir with inflammatory rhetoric to get ratings. Ed is a part of that. It's how he got to where he is. All of those guys are loud-mouths. Not defending him.

We 'could' use a couple of real advocates of the Bison in the Fargo-Moorhead media...people with a high profile. Maybe there's one on the radio that I don't know about. Ed probably sees an opening there. But his critics are probably right. A certain percentage of people would tune him out because of his mouth & politics. Politics & sports don't mix. They shouldn't mix here...ever. I'm not going to mention cable stations in particular...but they're all BS.

He is an editorialist with a big mouth. He's not a news anchor. Doesn't matter what channel you turn to...very little of what is 'yelled' at us is based on fact. We get pieces of the truth that supposedly support an opinion. That's the sad state of our current news...and it has a lot to do with the deep divisions within the country.

I call all of the shows like his 'Yelling Shows.' People of different viewpoints are brought on...asked questions...and aren't allowed to answer. Then they get frustrated and the yelling starts. People watch it. Bet Ed's making a ton of money doing the yelling. Not saying he's right or wrong. It's all as real as the papers on the stand at the grocery checkout...meaning most of it is BS.

THEsocalledfan
05-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Ed was a good voice of the Bison in the 80s. Wouldn't be now.

He has a high-profile job in cable entertainment news...which is pretty much all we get now...no matter what your point of view is. All of those cable channels preach to the choir with inflammatory rhetoric to get ratings. Ed is a part of that. It's how he got to where he is. All of those guys are loud-mouths. Not defending him.

We 'could' use a couple of real advocates of the Bison in the Fargo-Moorhead media...people with a high profile. Maybe there's one on the radio that I don't know about. Ed probably sees an opening there. But his critics are probably right. A certain percentage of people would tune him out because of his mouth & politics. Politics & sports don't mix. They shouldn't mix here...ever. I'm not going to mention cable stations in particular...but they're all BS.

He is an editorialist with a big mouth. He's not a news anchor. Doesn't matter what channel you turn to...very little of what is 'yelled' at us is based on fact. We get pieces of the truth that supposedly support an opinion. That's the sad state of our current news...and it has a lot to do with the deep divisions within the country.

I call all of the shows like his 'Yelling Shows.' People of different viewpoints are brought on...asked questions...and aren't allowed to answer. Then they get frustrated and the yelling starts. People watch it. Bet Ed's making a ton of money doing the yelling. Not saying he's right or wrong. It's all as real as the papers on the stand at the grocery checkout...meaning most of it is BS.

Glad to see someone else "gets it" even if we disagree about Ed back in the booth.

CaBisonFan
05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Glad to see someone else "gets it" even if we disagree about Ed back in the booth.

Personally...I would have no problem with Ed back in the booth...as long as he kept the topic to sports. He was a part of the Bison swagger of the 80s championship run. We lack 'swagger' now. If he brought some real excitement and exposure of the right kind to Bison broadcasts...no problem here.

Ed was an 'anti-Entzion' person in the booth. He was right on. He knew that Bobby would cause problems for the Bison. Wasn't afraid to say it either. I have the video of Entzion attacking Rocky on the sidelines for running up the score on UND (oooo....42 to something) in the 1990 game. Entzion actually came down and got in Rocky's face. The only thing that Rocky 'didn't' tell his players to do was to run backwards. Ed called Entzion out...and rightfully so. A lot of people don't realize that Entzion drove Rocky to distraction...and that it hurt his ability to coach. It also undermined his authority with the team. That...is a part of the story concerning the wrongful firing of Rocky Hager. The wrong guy was fired. SU actually hired a trainee from GF to run Bison athletics. Is it any wonder that things slid in the 90s?

Ed's a controversial figure. Everyone knows he's at least 50 percent BS. Big deal. Not supporting his return to the booth necessarily...but the money will talk. If he can put together the right package...it'll happen.

I'm tired of the FM media being so damned analytical and/or indifferent to the Bison. There needs to be a STRONG 'Voice of the Bison.' An advocate (supporter). Paper needs it too. Needs to be high-profile. I like the broadcast team for football now. Good team...but they lack the high-profile dude at the center of the broadcast. Ed would be the center...right...and left of the broadcast. That would be a little strange. (understatement)

I don't care about Ed's politics...either way. People internalize his BS too much. He does it because it 'sells.' He knows it's BS. He knows how to sell and promote a product. That's where he 'gets it.' America 'buys' controversy.

PS - Ed wouldn't hesitate to call out the rest of the media in North Dakota for being such 'lame' ducks. He'd say something like...."folks, there's a DI program in the state of North Dakota that has given the state national exposure. The media should get behind the train and help push it."

MHDBisonfan
05-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Personally...I would have no problem with Ed back in the booth...as long as he kept the topic to sports. He was a part of the Bison swagger of the 80s championship run. We lack 'swagger' now. If he brought some real excitement and exposure of the right kind to Bison broadcasts...no problem here.

Ed was an 'anti-Entzion' person in the booth. He was right on. He knew that Bobby would cause problems for the Bison. Wasn't afraid to say it either. I have the video of Entzion attacking Rocky on the sidelines for running up the score on UND (oooo....42 to something) in the 1990 game. Entzion actually came down and got in Rocky's face. The only thing that Rocky 'didn't' tell his players to do was to run backwards. Ed called Entzion out...and rightfully so. A lot of people don't realize that Entzion drove Rocky to distraction...and that it hurt his ability to coach. It also undermined his authority with the team. That...is a part of the story concerning the wrongful firing of Rocky Hager. The wrong guy was fired. SU actually hired a trainee from GF to run Bison athletics. Is it any wonder that things slid in the 90s?

Ed's a controversial figure. Everyone knows he's at least 50 percent BS. Big deal. Not supporting his return to the booth necessarily...but the money will talk. If he can put together the right package...it'll happen.

I'm tired of the FM media being so damned analytical and/or indifferent to the Bison. There needs to be a STRONG 'Voice of the Bison.' An advocate (supporter). Paper needs it too. Needs to be high-profile. I like the broadcast team for football now. Good team...but they lack the high-profile dude at the center of the broadcast. Ed would be the center...right...and left of the broadcast. That would be a little strange. (understatement)

I don't care about Ed's politics...either way. People internalize his BS too much. He does it because it 'sells.' He knows it's BS. He knows how to sell and promote a product. That's where he 'gets it.' America 'buys' controversy.

PS - Ed wouldn't hesitate to call out the rest of the media in North Dakota for being such 'lame' ducks. He'd say something like...."folks, there's a DI program in the state of North Dakota that has given the state national exposure. The media should get behind the train and help push it."

^^ What he said! ^^ Help get the swagger back!

tjbison
05-09-2009, 04:58 PM
hmm.....i know most of you are Ed haters, i'm neutral on him somedays I agree and somedays I don't, but we all talk about getting more exposure, etc.... what better exposure for NDSU than having your program mentioned on his NATIONAL radio show, and NATIONAL tv program???? cause you know he would!! Hell who knows maybe Scott will get behind the scenes and team up with him?????:hide:

I think Ed would do good for the listeners IMO

80ALUM
05-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Ed is an opportunist. He may get behind the Bison but not because he feels it in his heart. He would do it because right now they are the D1 program to follow in this state. If the Sioux would (God forbid) become the premier program he would hop on their bandwagon so fast it would make our heads spin.
I prefer to listen to a real Bison supporter not someone who is using them for their own gain.

TransAmBison
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM

CA...I really don't want Ed back...but this has to be one of your best posts ever. Rep to you!

stevdock
05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
^^ What he said! ^^ Help get the swagger back!

I have no problem with bringing that swagger back. That is done more on the field than in the press box. And there is a HUGE difference between swagger and just being a jerk. Ed can do both equally. The big difference between the crew we have no and if they put Ed in the box is with our current crew I don't have to worry about my kids being to close to the radio when the team is on the road. With Ed you just never know.

CaBisonFan
05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I have no problem with bringing that swagger back. That is done more on the field than in the press box. And there is a HUGE difference between swagger and just being a jerk. Ed can do both equally. The big difference between the crew we have no and if they put Ed in the box is with our current crew I don't have to worry about my kids being to close to the radio when the team is on the road. With Ed you just never know.

I respect your opinions, and I respect you personally...because I know you...but Ed would be the least of your problems in terms of your kids listening to radio or watching TV. Part of the 80s swagger came from the PR. It worked hand in hand with the product on the field. They fed off of each other.

CaBisonFan
05-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Ed is an opportunist. He may get behind the Bison but not because he feels it in his heart. He would do it because right now they are the D1 program to follow in this state. If the Sioux would (God forbid) become the premier program he would hop on their bandwagon so fast it would make our heads spin.
I prefer to listen to a real Bison supporter not someone who is using them for their own gain.

At the risk of sounding like someone who wants him back...which I really don't care about either way...Ed supported Bison football to the nth degree while he was being paid to do so. Things went south, in part because of the bottle-throwing incident, and he was hired to do the UND broadcasts. He was paid to do that also. Coaches switch jobs and try to beat their old teams. No difference.

onbison09
05-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Did Ed ever bring up politics in the booth? (He was before my time, unfortunatly, those teams kicked some serious ass) Why are some people bringing up the politics? Also this probably just Ed talking. I would be suprised if it happened.

IzzyFlexion
05-09-2009, 08:29 PM

I'm with you, Ca.
I believe that much of his political "flip flop" was him recognizing that he could provide an opposing point of view and cash in on it since there aren't nearly as many liberals with that big of a mouthpiece (pun intended)
By the way, I am declaring that I'm NOT being "political" on the board....just agreeing with Ca as to how ES may be trying to parlay his "shocking" and/or controversial style to land an NDSU gig.

ndsubison1
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
kinda reminds me of when Rush Limbaugh brought up how he thought Donovan McNabb couldn't lead the Eagles at QB because he was black... just dont want anything like that to ever happen... Ed should just stick to politics, I see him as a political guy 1st and a sports guy 2nd...

BisBison
05-09-2009, 09:56 PM
kinda reminds me of when Rush Limbaugh brought up how he thought Donovan McNabb couldn't lead the Eagles at QB because he was black... just dont want anything like that to ever happen... Ed should just stick to politics, I see him as a political guy 1st and a sports guy 2nd...

That is NOT what Rush said. He simply said the media wants Donovan McNabb to be a great QB because he is black and that makes a better story. He then went on to say he thought McNabb was overrated as a QB. He never said that he didn't think McNabb couldn't lead the Eagles because he was black. The media would like you to believe that, but that simply is not true.

Bison_Pride
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I really like the guys in the booth now (Scotty and Phil), but during the glory years of Bison football when they were bringing championship trophy's home like groceries, Ed Schultz was the main cheerleader and "voice of the Bison". The crazy thing about Ed calling games is his premature excitement when he saw a big play developing. He'd be screaming out of control, and then he would stop and "oh, he dropped the ball".

Ed Schultz is a big part of why the majority of people on this message board will always hate UND. His swagger while calling NDSU football games drove opposing fans crazy, especially UND because of their down years. So what does Ed do, he later gets on as UND's play by play guy, so then we hated him, and UND even more. Ed's swagger is at least 50% or more of the reason that NDSU and UND have one of the most unfriendly rivalries in college sports.

Will he ever return? I don't know, but the surest way to make it happen is to freak out about it and start a panic. Nothing Ed likes more than a challenge and a controversy.

Da Bison
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Lets just say I know Ed personally (not proud of it). I also know Maureen.

Ed is as egotistical and belligerent in person as on the radio. His IQ is somewhat lacking which accounts for his rants. Asked what the last book he read was, his answer "I don't read books". If he can't win the argument, just yell louder. This is the guy that walked off the Fox & Friends show because they were giving him crap for pimping his step-sons's business.

My feelings are from various instances where our paths crossed.

I would not want this ego driven opportunist having any association with NDSU or the Bison.

rutlandbison
05-10-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm not old enough to know how Ed was when he broadcasted. What was he like. If it is anything like his radio show, then please don't let him come back.

sambini
05-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not old enough to know how Ed was when he broadcasted. What was he like. If it is anything like his radio show, then please don't let him come back.
He was very good imo. He got into the game and his knowledge of the game as a former player is+++

THEsocalledfan
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Love him or hate him, no one is better.

Bisonguy
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM

I don't remember how well Adelson and the others prior to Ed were, but Ed was great at play-by-play. You could easily tune into the game, and within five minutes be nearly caught up on the game. Down, distance, formation, motion, time, etc. on nearly every play and he would announce the score at least once per drive.

I think Scotty does a good job, but Ed would make him sound like the "Boom goes the dynamite" kid.

CaBisonFan
05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
He was very good imo. He got into the game and his knowledge of the game as a former player is+++

Totally agree.

CaBisonFan
05-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Love him or hate him, no one is better.

You nailed it. He could broadcast sports on any level. Maybe should have stuck with that.

sambini
05-11-2009, 02:19 AM
I don't remember how well Adelson and the others prior to Ed were, but Ed was great at play-by-play. You could easily tune into the game, and within five minutes be nearly caught up on the game. Down, distance, formation, motion, time, etc. on nearly every play and he would announce the score at least once per drive.

I think Scotty does a good job, but Ed would make him sound like the "Boom goes the dynamite" kid. Jim Adelson was good with Sam Neis+++ And Boyd Christianson and also Terry Dean did it for WDAY.

WYOBISONMAN
05-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Jim Adelson was excellent, a class guy. I remember how the student section would holler stuff at Adelson, and he handled it with such class......usually a big smile and a wave to the sudents.

Hammerhead
05-11-2009, 03:09 AM
I haven't lived in Fargo since 1996, so I've only heard Miller do a few games listening on the Web in recent years.

Ed was the the best game announcer in Fargo and I think he does a better job than many of the people you see doing NFL games. I hated Jim Adelson (sp?) at KX4. In high school, my friend and I made T-shirts with the KX4 logo on the front and "Adelson Sucks" on the back and we hoped to get on TV with the logo and then turn around really quick.

As for politics, who cares what Ed's views are? HE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL DURING THE GAME!!!

80ALUM
05-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Jim Adelson was excellent, a class guy. I remember how the student section would holler stuff at Adelson, and he handled it with such class......usually a big smile and a wave to the sudents.

I remember that about Adelson too. He knew the students heckled him because they liked him. No bottle throwing necessary!

bisonbuddy
05-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Can I ask all you guys who think Fat Ed is a good announcer, did you listen to any of the UND games he did the last couple of years he was there? He brought a lot of passion to the game but it seemed like every other play he was shouting about a fumble that never occured. You sat there and wondered why the Sioux still had the ball if they had fumbled the previous play. My guess he doesn't want to do this, he just wants to stir the pot and grab more attention.

EndZoneQB
05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe ask the Sioux fans...would they rather still have Eddie, or Hammer?

A1pigskin
05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I like Scott Miller. He does a fantastic job.

THEsocalledfan
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Can I ask all you guys who think Fat Ed is a good announcer, did you listen to any of the UND games he did the last couple of years he was there? He brought a lot of passion to the game but it seemed like every other play he was shouting about a fumble that never occured. You sat there and wondered why the Sioux still had the ball if they had fumbled the previous play. My guess he doesn't want to do this, he just wants to stir the pot and grab more attention.

Caution: I am going to good naturedly poke a little fun at your post, but:

You just asked Bisonville if they listened to Ed do UND games on the radio? Sorry, but I for one never sink that low. :)

Other than that, good point if true, but I feel sorry for you having to listen to Division II football!

bisonbuddy
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
To THEsocalled fan, I laughed when I read your response. I suppose I should be embarrassed but we were camping deep in the woods of Northern Minnesota a couple of times and that was the only station we could get.

Green-N-Gold
05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
To THEsocalled fan, I laughed when I read your response. I suppose I should be embarrassed but we were camping deep in the woods of Northern Minnesota a couple of times and that was the only station we could get.

That doesn't make it right! ;)

bisonmike2
05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I have a couple of questions.

1) Will it generate a substantial amount of publicity for NDSU?

2) Will it save or generate a substantial amount of money for NDSU?

If the answer is yes for both of them, I say do it. If it's one of the 2, then it needs to at least be discussed. If it's neither, then no. Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just asking. I never did listen to Schultz so I have no idea how good or bad he was but I suspect he gets alot of bad rep here for announcing NDSU games then jumping ship to UND. I also have nothing against Scotty Miller, who I think has done an excellent job annoucing. I'm just saying that if Schultz will get us a little more publicity or money go for it. Think about it, he just got his own nationally televised TV program, you don't think that we wouldn't get a little bit of pub from that. "national talking head signs on to do local university's play-by-play"? Plus the dude has money. And if he want's to give us some of that while calling the games, so be it. I would just have mixed feelings if he gave so much that we'd have to call the new b-ball arena Schultz Fieldhouse or something like that.

Amused
05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
When Eddie was the NDSU announcer, he was an overbearing, blowhard homer and any UND fan would hate him. When Eddie was the UND announcer, he was an overbearing, blowhard homer and any NDSU fan would hate him.

rdh701
05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Maybe he's just an overbearing, blowhard.

Da Bison
05-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Maybe he's just an overbearing, blowhard.

As Sambini would say....

+++++++++++

IzzyFlexion
05-12-2009, 01:58 AM
I have a couple of questions.

1) Will it generate a substantial amount of publicity for NDSU?

2) Will it save or generate a substantial amount of money for NDSU?

If the answer is yes for both of them, I say do it. If it's one of the 2, then it needs to at least be discussed. If it's neither, then no. Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just asking. I never did listen to Schultz so I have no idea how good or bad he was but I suspect he gets alot of bad rep here for announcing NDSU games then jumping ship to UND. I also have nothing against Scotty Miller, who I think has done an excellent job annoucing. I'm just saying that if Schultz will get us a little more publicity or money go for it. Think about it, he just got his own nationally televised TV program, you don't think that we wouldn't get a little bit of pub from that. "national talking head signs on to do local university's play-by-play"? Plus the dude has money. And if he want's to give us some of that while calling the games, so be it. I would just have mixed feelings if he gave so much that we'd have to call the new b-ball arena Schultz Fieldhouse or something like that.

Hmmmm, now that's an interesting thought about Ed Schu..........excuse me......

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_0.gif

Whoa, that was close! So, what you're saying is that someone like Ed that has lots of cash.............excuse me again......
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_0.gifhttp://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_21.gif

Man, it's like I had bad sushi. Do you guys really think that there's a possibility of seeing Ed Schultz' name on a new basketba..............so sorry, please excuse me again..........
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_0.gifhttp://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_21.gifhttp://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_21.gif

Yikes, getting tough to supress. Sorry about that, I just have this overwhelming feeling of extreme nausea. Don't know why........oh, oh..............gotta go,
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_20.gif

Bison Dan
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
When Eddie was the NDSU announcer, he was an overbearing, blowhard homer and any UND fan would hate him. When Eddie was the UND announcer, he was an overbearing, blowhard homer and any NDSU fan would hate him.

Really - you must not of heard him do the NDSU games - plenty of criticism (as to show his football knowledge) but was good at what he did. When he went to und he was under the gun (to show he was a Sioux guy) and was overboard on being a homer. His calling the game was night and day different. The guy doesn't have a loyal bone in his body. Whatever is best for Ed is his motto. (ususally money)

bisonmike2
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm, now that's an interesting thought about Ed Schu..........excuse me......

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_0.gif

Whoa, that was close! So, what you're saying is that someone like Ed that has lots of cash.............excuse me again......
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_0.gifhttp://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_21.gif

Man, it's like I had bad sushi. Do you guys really think that there's a possibility of seeing Ed Schultz' name on a new basketba..............so sorry, please excuse me again..........
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_0.gifhttp://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_21.gifhttp://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_21.gif

Yikes, getting tough to supress. Sorry about that, I just have this overwhelming feeling of extreme nausea. Don't know why........oh, oh..............gotta go,
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/sick/sick_20.gif

Well now I have to ask the question. Would you rather have a state of the art basketball arena that seats 8K to 10K attached to the Fargodome but the name of that arena is Schultz Arena, namee after big Eddy of course. Or would you rather have a remolded BSA, still seating around 5K, nicer than what we have but still lacking a lot of the things we are looking for in an DI arena?

OldBison
05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Really - you must not of heard him do the NDSU games - plenty of criticism (as to show his football knowledge) but was good at what he did. When he went to und he was under the gun (to show he was a Sioux guy) and was overboard on being a homer. His calling the game was night and day different. The guy doesn't have a loyal bone in his body. Whatever is best for Ed is his motto. (ususally money)

That's not true, Ed is loyal to his wife Maureen. Wait a minute, he divorced her. Never mind.:smh:

bisonbills
05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm tired of all the character attacks on Ed. He has no character, hence all the attacks are moot. :D

KilldeerBison
05-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm tired of all the character attacks on Ed. He has no character, hence all the attacks are moot. :D

Now that's funny!

Da_Bizon
05-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote of the week!

IzzyFlexion
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Well now I have to ask the question. Would you rather have a state of the art basketball arena that seats 8K to 10K attached to the Fargodome but the name of that arena is Schultz Arena, namee after big Eddy of course. Or would you rather have a remolded BSA, still seating around 5K, nicer than what we have but still lacking a lot of the things we are looking for in an DI arena?

Great question and I have thought this through. I have a multi-pronged attack in mind.
1. I'd take option #1. Take the cash and get it built.
2. Let the dust settle and enjoy a year or two in the beautiful new arena.
3. Begin a grass roots campaign to assimilate the Schultz name with Nazi party tying in his VERY German surname.
4. We then take our crusade to all of the Jewish citizens of North Dakota (there's gotta be..... what..... 8) and convince them that the Schultz name by association is extemely offensive to them.
5.The NCAA gets involved and mandates a timeline for the elimination of everything in the building that says "Schultz" including all imagry of "Schultz". (this includes the big giant picture of Ed laid within the marble floor in the entry of the building).
6 We then waste several million dollars of state money to assemble a fruitless lawsuit that we'll quickly abandon because nobody can beat the NCAA.
7. Then in a few short months, we pick up the Fargo Forum and collectively read the headline, "North Dakota Jewish Citizens Vote 7-1 in Opposition of Schultz Arena Name".
8. All of Bisonville donates hundreds of hours eliminating all Schultz related material from the new arena.
9. In a stunning development pharmaseutical giant Phizer not only purchases the naming rights for the facility but unveils its new name: The Bison Hard Court at Viagra Arena.

DjKyRo
05-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Great question and I have thought this through. I have a multi-pronged attack in mind.
3. Begin a grass roots campaign to assimilate the Schultz name with Nazi party tying in his VERY German surname.
4. We then take our crusade to all of the Jewish citizens of North Dakota (there's gotta be..... what..... 8) and convince them that the Schultz name by association is extemely offensive to them.
5.The NCAA gets involved and mandates a timeline for the elimination of everything in the building that says "Schultz" including all imagry of "Schultz". (this includes the big giant picture of Ed laid within the marble floor in the entry of the building).
6 We then waste several million dollars of state money to assemble a fruitless lawsuit that we'll quickly abandon because nobody can beat the NCAA.
7. Then in a few short months, we pick up the Fargo Forum and collectively read the headline, "North Dakota Jewish Citizens Vote 7-1 in Opposition of Schultz Arena Name".
8. All of Bisonville donates hundreds of hours eliminating all Schultz related material from the new arena.
9. In a stunning development pharmaseutical giant Phizer not only purchases the naming rights for the facility but unveils its new name: The Bison Hard Court at Viagra Arena.

I like this plan.

heckler
05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Who is Chris Gabriel on 970?

Da Bison
05-14-2009, 07:20 PM

You do know that Ed can't take viagra........................................

It gives him a stiff neck:D:D:D

Bisonguy
05-15-2009, 04:09 AM

Or just get some guy (or town) named Sergeant to match his donation :nod: :

http://dehoff.smugmug.com/photos/536826461_UPJ3F-S.gif

Kinda hard to get mad about Sergeant Schultz Arena.

Tatanka
05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Or just get some guy (or town) named Sergeant to match his donation :nod: :

http://dehoff.smugmug.com/photos/536826461_UPJ3F-S.gif

Kinda hard to get mad about Sergeant Schultz Arena.

:rofl: WELL PLAYED!

Bison"FANatic"
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
So I flip on the TV last night and I see that "the ED show" is on. I didn't know that many people had Erectile Dysfunction that they had a show named after them. I didn't stick around to watch but I am guessing lots of Viagra and Cialis commercials were played.:D :D :D :D :D