PDA

View Full Version : Centenary to DIII????

NDSUstudent
05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Last night members of the administration met with a room full of student athletes to discuss the current situation regarding a move. As of right now, there are no plans to make that move, but the administration working on a game plan to see what situations fit the College. KTAL sports will continue to monitor this situation.

http://arklatexhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=62172

zooropa
05-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Whoa! That kid's name was Dakota?

If the report's accurate that 'a majority of student athletes present would not return' if Centenary went D-3, that's a significant number of students, as about one of every three Centenary students competes (c. 900 students, c. 250 athletes).

AKBison
05-04-2009, 08:25 PM
It really makes the best sense for them overall and is great for Summitt travel considerations. How many counters does that leave the Summitt with though?

IUPUI
UMKC
IUPFW
ORU
Oakland
SUU
WIU

Thats 7 right? If we need six are we still in good shape or do we grab someone for a buffer?

TheBisonator
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
It really makes the best sense for them overall and is great for Summitt travel considerations. How many counters does that leave the Summitt with though?

IUPUI
UMKC
IUPFW
ORU
Oakland
SUU
WIU

Thats 7 right? If we need six are we still in good shape or do we grab someone for a buffer?

PLEASE not Chicago State though. After learning about them recently, I couldn't bring myself to advocate letting them back in.

tjbison
05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
PLEASE not Chicago State though. After learning about them recently, I couldn't bring myself to advocate letting them back in.

agreed but if it meant keeping an auto bid to the dance i would have to say bring on the thugs:hide:

NDSUstudent
05-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Maybe this could pave the way for something like this...

West-(Distance between travel partners)
NDSU-UND(80 miles)
SDSU-USD(115 miles)
SUU-Denver(580 miles)

East
ORU-UMKC(244 miles)
WIU-IUPUI(260 miles)
IPFW-Oakland(192 miles)

Bison101
05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Maybe this could pave the way for something like this...

West-(Distance between travel partners)
NDSU-UND(80 miles)
SDSU-USD(115 miles)
SUU-Denver(580 miles)

East
ORU-UMKC(244 miles)
WIU-IUPUI(260 miles)
IPFW-Oakland(192 miles)

Those distances seem a lot different.

NDSUstudent
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
If Centenary leaves and nobody is added, this is what we will probably be looking at...

NDSU-SUU(1404)
SDSU-USD(115)
ORU-UMKC(244)
WIU-IUPUI(260)
IPFW-Oakland(192)

Being SUU's travel partner isn't terrible, but you know there would be screaming and yelling about Cedar City to Fargo. That is plane ride to Vegas, bus ride to cedar city, bus back to Vegas, fly to mpls, bus to fargo, bus to mpls(then fly home) or bus home(SDSU and USD).

NDSU1980
05-05-2009, 12:36 AM

I would admit Chicago State in a heart beat, for two reasons:

1. They would count as a core member

2. They never announced to the nation and the world at a press conference that they never wanted to play in the next 10,000 years.

ndsubison1
05-05-2009, 01:55 AM
If Centenary leaves and nobody is added, this is what we will probably be looking at...

NDSU-SUU(1404)
SDSU-USD(115)
ORU-UMKC(244)
WIU-IUPUI(260)
IPFW-Oakland(192)

Being SUU's travel partner isn't terrible, but you know there would be screaming and yelling about Cedar City to Fargo. That is plane ride to Vegas, bus ride to cedar city, bus back to Vegas, fly to mpls, bus to fargo, bus to mpls(then fly home) or bus home(SDSU and USD).

i think it would be better if they went:
ndsu-sdsu
usd-umkc
suu-oru
wiu-iupui
ipfw-oakland

coldspot
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
the und folk still think theyre a shoe in to the conference dispite them not being needed if centenary drops out.

Bison bison
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
UND needs to worry about itself.

SamsRams
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM

If Allegiant's hub is Vegas and they fly directly into Fargo, I don't understand why MSP would even be in the mix???

roadwarrior
05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
If Allegiant's hub is Vegas and they fly directly into Fargo, I don't understand why MSP would even be in the mix???

Delta will be flying from Salt Lake City directly to Fargo starting in June also. So you could bus from Cedar City to Salt Lake, then fly to Fargo.

NDSUstudent
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Not sure a team could get a flight on a Friday, does Allegiant have daily fights? SLC is a new option though, not sure if the flights are daily or just certain days though.

SamsRams
05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Not sure a team could get a flight on a Friday, does Allegiant have daily fights? SLC is a new option though, not sure if the flights are daily or just certain days though.
Cedar to SLC is a much longer drive then MSP to Fargo. 5+ vs 3+

And no there aren't dailey flights from LAs to FAR. But you would think they would be able to set the Summit schedule up to work or get Allegiant to work with them.
Shouldn't be that much of a struggle!!!

Bison"FANatic"
05-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Well maybe d3 has legs as they are no longer eligible for postseason play in bball next year. Bisonmedia blog.

Tatanka
05-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Well maybe d3 has legs as they are no longer eligible for postseason play in bball next year. Bisonmedia blog.

Rut Roh.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20577/

jack power
05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Rut Roh.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20577/
Ouch. Thats not good at all

klomp44
05-07-2009, 04:11 AM
i think it would be better if they went:
ndsu-sdsu 189 miles
usd-umkc 317 miles
suu-oru 1279 miles
wiu-iupui 259 miles
ipfw-oakland 218 miles

SUU really throws a wrench in things don't they? There really isn't a close travel partner. The closest is UMKC, at 1181 miles. However, they are a natural partner for either ORU or USD.

ndsubison1
05-07-2009, 06:06 AM
damnit, there goes an automatic win in the first round of the conference tournament... :(

SamsRams
05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
SUU really throws a wrench in things don't they? There really isn't a close travel partner.

As far as traveling, you are spot on. But I can never say anything bad about them or be uspet they are in the conference. You have to remember, they were the ones that really helped NDSU get into the Summit!!

TheDoctor
05-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I have heard a rumor that their compliance officer did not fill out the paper work properly and that when this all shakes out, they will not be on probation. We will have to wait and see. ;)

RedRiver
06-04-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/242675/

Looks like Centenary may still move down to DIII.

Good move by the Summit to add South Dakota because if this does happen the league can still stay at 10 teams. South Dakota will just replace Centenary in the league.

roadwarrior
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
No more trips to Shreveport? Now I am depressed. :D

Bison bison
06-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think that article adds much to the discussion.

Centenary is in limbo (like all the schools in the Summit?). They'd bolt for the Southland in second. They might be going DIII.

I can't see them leaving the Summit for 2009-2010, but can later - the article doesn't change that.

Jacks-02
06-05-2009, 07:57 PM

NDSU-SUU(1404)
SDSU-USD(115)
ORU-UMKC(244)
WIU-IUPUI(260)
IPFW-Oakland(192)

Or you could do...
NDSU - SDSU
USD - UMKC
ORU - SUU
WIU - IUPUI
IPFW - Oakland

Vermillion to Kansas City is only a 4-1/2 hour drive and Brookings to Fargo is 2-1/2. Tulsa to Cedar City may be better than Fargo to Cedar City?