PDA

View Full Version : A Little Quarterback Transition History...from the Glory Years

CaBisonFan
05-03-2009, 03:52 AM
As most know, I'm a historian as far as Bison football goes. Here's something to think about.

In 1987, when Chris Simdorn took over for Jeff Bentrim, the adjustment was extremely tough for Chris and the entire team. They went something like 6-4. The wolves were growling. Next year? National championship. Another one in 1990...which was one of the most dominant Bison teams ever. Chris was highly touted, but needed one year to get used to being the leader on the field. There were a 'lot' of miscues. Ill-advised pitches, dropped pitches, dropped passes, perplexing defensive lapses, blocking problems, etc.

Simdorn was a little green, and faltered, much to the dismay of the Bison faithful. The sky was falling. Rocky cried on TV. Not a knock on him, because I'll always respect what he did. But the sky 'was' falling. Rocky took 100% of the blame in the post-game press conference after the last game. 100 % !!

Correct me if I'm wrong on some of the details as far as the year, etc. But the post-Bentrim transition was 'not' fun. Rocky & Simdorn were the whipping boys. After that year...ah...things went...ah...OK. :cool:

PS - Mention Nick in a negative way...and I'll pray to the snow gods for a storm next week. ;)

4mcruenomore
05-03-2009, 03:56 AM
I wish that Mertens had just a 1/10th of the Simdorn magic. #10 and #1 are GODS. Do the newer players even have a clue as to where the NDSU QB magic comes from?

CaBisonFan
05-03-2009, 04:06 AM
I wish that Mertens had just a 1/10th of the Simdorn magic. #10 and #1 are GODS. Do the newer players even have a clue as to where the NDSU QB magic comes from?

I've been a critic. I'm guilty as heck. Just trying to put a little positive spin on the trash that I've left behind. Maybe...just maybe...following Steve Walker was an incredibly tough mental challenge. Maybe I've been a little hard on the kid. Maybe the mental aspect can control how the body responds.

This is a new generation. It's a new offense. The game has changed. Suppose it wouldn't hurt for them to watch some of the videos...but not sure it would do anything. Steve Walker is their best model now. It's in the swagger. The good ones all have it. Every time the team gets into the huddle, there's a sense of urgency and confidence. Look at movies of Walker in the huddle. The team couldn't wait to get out of the huddle. They ran to the line. Last year...they walked. Check it out.

Maybe that will change this year. Some people have mentioned the laid-back approach that Bohl took early last fall. Maybe 'that' set the tone.

WYOBISONMAN
05-03-2009, 04:42 AM
It is nice to be positive about this, but I just don't think Mertens has it. He will not be a QB we remember years from now. We need something new.

And.....there is nothing I would love more than to have Mertens prove me wrong......but I doubt that will happen.

4mcruenomore
05-03-2009, 05:09 AM
I think that players like Simdorn need to sit down with the current QB and talk some history, maybe they will realize where they are and what they mean to Bison Nation....

unbison
05-03-2009, 05:52 AM
First I think the players are well aware of the history..... And Wyo people probably did not think that simdorn had it either after a 6-4 year and they turned it around

Sorry everyone I have to admit I think this is the finest post CA has ever made!

CaBisonFan
05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
In my not so humble opinion...I will say again...Nick has been expected to 'fill' Walker's shoes. Steve made up for some deficiencies both on the field, and on the sideline. I've never seen a more 'clutch' player. Ironic how it ended in Brookings. Showed that he was human after all.

The fate of the 2009 season is in the hands of Brent Vigen, the offensive line, the backs & receivers, and Mr. Mertens.

Catch the damn ball guys! Block like demons. Kick the crap out of people. I think that Houdini Walker made everyone a little too comfortable. Last year was a wakeup call for the whole program. Everyone has to pull their own weight. And the play calling...well...it should have some element of surprise.

Here would be a good surprise. Give Nick the ball and tell him to control it...and to play his style of football. That...is the element of surprise. Watch the videos guys. Bentrim, Simdorn, and Walker had one thing in common. They were given, and took, the option to play their kind of game.

First half of last year's SDSU game. Watch it folks. That is a preview of this fall. He's 'not' a pocket passer. He's more like Simmy. An athlete who plays QB. My hunch is that Brent knows this. Perles couldn't adapt.

Time for some damn Bison football. People have to block, tackle, and catch. That would help Nick, a lot. That's Bison football.

Bohl is an outstanding head coach. We'll see a much more fired up, in shape, breathing fire team this fall. The lesson was learned. There's no such thing as pacing yourself at this level. The MVFC is too consistently strong. It is truly an AGS conference.

Scooter1
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
This is an excellent point. I think Simdorn was a hell of a QB. Everyone forgets that the first year he had the reigns, he struggled a bit. There is no substitute for gameday experience. First year starters as a rule are better their second year of starting- I know Simdorn was.

NorthernBison
05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not about to make any predictions about Nick. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Cabison makes a good point though. I was there are Dacotah Field for the Simdorn years. I remember his Freshman year well. After four years of heaven with Bentrim, I remember saying many times that we needed to get a real Quarterback because this skinny Freshman would never get it done. Good thing nobody got me on tape saying that.

BisonNeil
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Very good point Ca.

It all starts with the QB, no doubt, and some come in with pistols blazing (Bentrim, Walker) and some do take a while to find the target (Simdorn). A good perspective from Ca.

For another perspective on QBs (on p. 2) with a little trash-talking of Minnesota (on p. 1), read this article on a speech recently given by Lou Holtz. Entertaining as always...

http://www.freep.com/article/20090502/SPORTS06/90502041/?imw=Y

CaBisonFan
05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Very good point Ca.

It all starts with the QB, no doubt, and some come in with pistols blazing (Bentrim, Walker) and some do take a while to find the target (Simdorn). A good perspective from Ca.

For another perspective on QBs (on p. 2) with a little trash-talking of Minnesota (on p. 1), read this article on a speech recently given by Lou Holtz. Entertaining as always...

http://www.freep.com/article/20090502/SPORTS06/90502041/?imw=Y

Thanks for the good article Neil.

Hopefully, some leaders will come forward on this team. I only went to one game last year, so it's not fair, but I got a feeling that there wasn't a leader on either side of the ball. The leaders were in the booth and on the sideline. Problem was...they couldn't play. When the team stares at the sideline almost the whole time between plays...something is wrong. I sincerely hope that the new defensive coordinator will stop this practice. The game is on the damn field. That drove me nuts.

We're a little bit like Michigan right now. A dynasty that is trying to find its identity back. But we're only one year removed from having an outstanding team. There's the difference.

Blocking and tackling is where it starts. Talent is not an issue in Bisonville. It's what Lou talked about. Leadership. I'm waiting to see if the offense runs out of the huddle this year. And I'm waiting to see if the defense locks up and tackles with aggression. I'm waiting to see if the offensive line wants to block people...or inflict pain. I'm waiting to see intensity and confidence at QB. Could this be a replay of 1988?

Note to Brent Vigen: Did you notice the A-Gap was open all year...and that the medium-range pass over the middle was there every play...all year? Nick was throwing sideline passes...and the defenses knew it was coming. Easy pickings. (first half...SDSU game...hint)