PDA

View Full Version : Student Fan Club

NDBison
05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
We need to capitalize on the momentum of this past season. I know the games I was at where we had a full student section made a big difference in the atmosphere. A couple a years ago I know they had the Bison Brigade and I'm not sure what happened to that. Maybe some of the students on here can get something going again. If we could have a student section like Duke or some of these other big schools it would make a big difference.

NDSUstudent
05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a great idea, especially if it was geared towards basketball. Michigan State has the Izzone, Minnesota has the barnyard, and of course there is Cameron Crazies. What would we have?

Saul's Squad? The Thundarzone?

If you could think of a cool name, make some cool/cheap shirts, and had some events/giveaways to members, it might catch on.

VanClubPres
05-04-2009, 06:00 PM
My favorite, though some still beleive that we need to cheer for the other guys, might push the limit, giving it a bad name.

THE BOO CREW
Official Heckler

You can heckle without getting personal

Tatanka
05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a great idea, especially if it was geared towards basketball. Michigan State has the Izzone, Minnesota has the barnyard, and of course there is Cameron Crazies. What would we have?

Saul's Squad? The Thundarzone?

If you could think of a cool name, make some cool/cheap shirts, and had some events/giveaways to members, it might catch on.

This.

Another group to reference would be the Antlers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Antlers) at Mizzou. I had the distinct pleasure of getting to sit with these fine student ambassadors a few times during my illustrious college career (didn't attend Mizzou so couldn't join). Perhaps most of their hijinks would be a tish over the top for the local environment (they have a strict no-cussing rule, however they more than compensate), but there's no denying their ability to provide their team with a little home court advantage. Former Mizzou coach Norm Stewart used to swear the Antlers were worth 10-12 points per game and made sure they got prime seating in the Hearnes Center.

Sadly, the group is coming under fire and is operating in a mere fraction of its former glory. If there's one thing the Antlers need to do better, it's to balance out their enthusiasm for the other team with their support of their own.

I'm not advocating all of the crap the Antlers pulled over the years. They crossed the line more often than not. But having a group of crazies in the student section, well, that's just what we need IMHO.

gotts
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Very entertaining read on The Antlers.

Nothing wrong with having an intelligent student section that does their homework on the opposition, as long as it doesn't go too far over the line.

I remember when KSU came to the BSA, the "Friends don't let friends drive drunk" comments were flying at Huggins in full force.

NDSUstudent
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Huggins walks out of the lockerroom about 10 minutes after everyone else for wamups, the first thing a student yells as he walks out is..."Hey Huggy, where were you? The Turf?"

When Rhett Bomar came my friends and I tried to start a chant of "Sell my car!" while waving our keys but that didn't catch on.

99Bison
05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
The Rahjah's!!

ndsubison1
05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
how about in honor of Tatanka: The Tatankas... haha

Tatanka
05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
how about in honor of Tatanka: The Tatankas... haha

This has teh Tatanka seal of approval. :nod: :D

BlueBisonRock
05-04-2009, 09:17 PM
The Rahjah's!!

Are the Rahjahs still around?

99Bison
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Are the Rahjahs still around?

They are not, but someone on campus should re-start them up!

beatle76
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Could someone humor me on what the Rahjahs are/were?

56BISON73
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM

A very very rowdy pro Bison drinking club.

VanClubPres
05-04-2009, 11:15 PM
My Grandparents (SU alums 56-57) were telling me about the rahjahs. I would love to have something like that. They were very committed to the team and would heckle people left and right.

I am not going to glad hand the other teams. I am going to make it hard for them to concentrate on the games. that said, it never gets too far over the top. Just enough to toe the line and maybe a footover now and then.

That way, you know that you are in the head of that other player. RunDMC34 and I got flipped off by #10 on SHSU after his first catch because the whole pregame we had been asking him why he even came if he was a 5th stringer. Obviously he did not have the crowd completly out of mind. It was great.

The Bison Brigade is still there, there is your base to take it to the next level, get more people involved and sit at games in force.

ndsubison1
05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
i think i remember my parents telling me about the rahjahs... wouldnt they start fights in the stands? haha

56BISON73
05-05-2009, 01:47 AM
i think i remember my parents telling me about the rahjahs... wouldnt they start fights in the stands? haha

Oh yeah!!!!! They were a rowdy group.
There were a couple of Rahjahs at the Hail the Bison Banquet last year. Man they were funny and they could really pound the beers down for some old timers. Yes even older than Iam.:D

99Bison
05-05-2009, 03:46 AM

There's a long history, started in about 1948 by a group of students to boost interest in fan interest and disbanded mysteriously in about 1980.

NDSUstudent
05-05-2009, 04:00 AM
I remember when I went to a UND game in the late 90s up in GF, the Sioux won and their students ran across the field and started chanting "Bison suck" and my dad said in his day that chant wouldn't have lasted very long.:fight:

VanClubPres
05-05-2009, 05:20 AM
I remember when I went to a UND game in the late 90s up in GF, the Sioux won and their students ran across the field and started chanting "Bison suck" and my dad said in his day that chant wouldn't have lasted very long.:fight:

that is awesome, too bad no one can get away with that nowadays

Herd80
05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I think the Rahjahs were around until about 1980 give or take, I would see the Rahjah jackets around campus periodically. FYI, the UND equivalent was the Feathers. The two groups would often have a little "meeting" prior to football or basketball games, I recall seeing what looked like the beginnings of a rumble that was usually promptly dispersed by some authority figure.

TAILG8R
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I think the Rahjahs were around until about 1980 give or take, I would see the Rahjah jackets around campus periodically. FYI, the UND equivalent was the Feathers. The two groups would often have a little "meeting" prior to football or basketball games, I recall seeing what looked like the beginnings of a rumble that was usually promptly dispersed by some authority figure.

You're right, I found a pic in the UND online archives of the Feathers getting ready for one of those rumbles.
http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/53/57/3653577_std.jpg

Tatanka
05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
You're right, I found a pic in the UND online archives of the Feathers getting ready for one of those rumbles.
http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/53/57/3653577_std.jpg

you beat me to it!

Oh well, here goes anyway:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv293/xxzxcuzxmichael/westside-story.jpg

Jazz Hands!!!!!!!

Herd80
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Note to self: Do not, under any circumstances, use anything but the most plain language to describe an individual or situation. Be very dull, never use a word like rumble. Self, do this in order so as not to allow the more creative of your bretheren on BV to jump in and gay up a post that was intended to be only informational in nature.

Carry on

TAILG8R
05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
This is the last known picture taken of the Feathers, right before they disbanded. Looks to me like the Rahjahs got the best of 'em.

http://www.3030interactive.com/clients/after_rumble.jpg

Civil06
05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
This is the last known picture taken of the Feathers, right before they disbanded. Looks to me like the Rahjahs got the best of 'em.

http://www.3030interactive.com/clients/after_rumble.jpg

No disciplinary action was taken against the Feathers due to the humiliation of wetting their pants. President Kupchella was out of town and unavailable for comment.

Herd80
05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Is that Patrick Swayze on the right, who looks like he is trying to complete taking a shat, to wipe all over the guy on the far right? Wait, I'm supposed to be done commenting on this thread for fear of further rumble humiliation.

aces1180
05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Is that Patrick Swayze on the right, who looks like he is trying to complete taking a shat, to wipe all over the guy on the far right? Wait, I'm supposed to be done commenting on this thread for fear of further rumble humiliation.

That's from the Outsiders...Lot's a famous actors in that film.

roadwarrior
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
It would be nice to just have the student section FILLED for every game.

Ferd
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM

And if they stayed for the whole game.:nod:

56BISON73
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Cant do that.
They need to bitch about not having enough seats for students and then when the Bison lose a few not show up.

It will happen again this year just like clock work.

ps not to forget the complaints that they have to pick up theirs tickets at the BSA.

TAILG8R
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Here we go again.

"I always loved that one"!

HandoEX
05-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Cant do that.
They need to bitch about not having enough seats for students and then when the Bison lose a few not show up.

ps not to forget the complaints that they have to pick up theirs tickets at the BSA.

Wrong sport.

56BISON73
05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Wrong sport.

Yep. Sure enough. :D

RunDMc34
05-06-2009, 03:20 AM
My favorite, though some still beleive that we need to cheer for the other guys, might push the limit, giving it a bad name.

THE BOO CREW
Official Heckler

You can heckle without getting personal

You can also get personal without crossing the line, I have absolutely no problem with taunting as long as a line isnt crossed. One of the old timer's favorite cheers crosses that line in my opinion.

heckler
05-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Cant do that.

here we go again... must be that generation "me" thing...