PDA

View Full Version : Nate Wolters verbals to SDSU

Kermit
04-29-2009, 03:40 AM
per MinnesotaPreps.com. Link is to a subscription site:
http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=940947

JacksFan06
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a6683d186-0755-4075-a3d2-3e9609d26cc3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

cvbison1
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
this kid is WAY overrated anyways. little worm from sc tech

NDSUstudent
04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
So the rabbits got the kid that didn't want to compete against NDSU's recruits, can't say that I blame him. :D ;)

Kermit
04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
So the rabbits got the kid that didn't want to compete against NDSU's recruits, can't say that I blame him. :D ;)

I'm ticked off about the way this situation went down, but I am skeptical that Wolters "didn't want to compete against NDSU's recruits." Wolters has done extremely well when matched up against Felt in AAU ball. I don't know too much about Zastrow, but from what I've read/heard I think Wolters may be more likely to contribute to his team early. It may be more likely that the player and/or his family were miffed that NDSU offered and signed those other guards before him. I suspect there were other factors that worked against NDSU, but I don't have enough info to say more here.

For whatever reason, NDSU lost a recruiting battle for a good player. It isn't the first time, and it won't be the last. I think the coaching staff will bounce back and land the next big fish (Marshall Bjorklund?). The 2010 recruiting class will be extremely important for the program.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm ticked off about the way this situation went down, but I am skeptical that Wolters "didn't want to compete against NDSU's recruits." Wolters has done extremely well when matched up against Felt in AAU ball. I don't know too much about Zastrow, but from what I've read/heard I think Wolters may be more likely to contribute to his team early. It may be more likely that the player and/or his family were miffed that NDSU offered and signed those other guards before him. I suspect there were other factors that worked against NDSU, but I don't have enough info to say more here.

For whatever reason, NDSU lost a recruiting battle for a good player. It isn't the first time, and it won't be the last. I think the coaching staff will bounce back and land the next big fish (Marshall Bjorklund?). The 2010 recruiting class will be extremely important for the program.

Isn't Wolters going to play the point? I think NDSU sees Felt as a sg, maybe kind of like Mike Nelson. From what I gather Zastrow and Lundberg will offer stiff competition at the point. Lundberg being a 3rd year player and Zastrow as one of the top recruits in Wisconsin. I know SDSU has Callahan but I'm not aware of much after him.

Here is a nice article on Zastrow..

http://m.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090405/MAN020502/904050508/1356/MAN&template=wapart

ndsubison1
04-29-2009, 09:43 PM
yeah SDSU has that short mexi guy Michael Palarca, something like that, after Callahan... they've had PG problems for the last couple years... NDSU will have better competition and more depth at that position next year compared to SDSU... so that could be a factor in his decision

Kermit
04-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Isn't Wolters going to play the point? I think NDSU sees Felt as a sg, maybe kind of like Mike Nelson. From what I gather Zastrow and Lundberg will offer stiff competition at the point. Lundberg being a 3rd year player and Zastrow as one of the top recruits in Wisconsin. I know SDSU has Callahan but I'm not aware of much after him.

Here is a nice article on Zastrow..

http://m.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090405/MAN020502/904050508/1356/MAN&template=wapart

Yes, I think you are correct about which positions these guys will play. Wolters has PG skills and he prefers that position, but he also has the size to play the 2 spot easily. I don't think Wolters was likely scared off by the prospect of competing with the two guards that NDSU had already signed in his class. Now, when you add Lundberg to the mix, the situation is a bit murkier. Lundberg is very likely to be a starter next year, and he will be only a sophomore.

SDSU has two pretty good guards coming back in Garrett Callahan and Clint Sargent. I wouldn't expect Wolters to beat out either of those guys next year, but Callahan will be a senior. The backup point guard last year, Michael Palarca, is a marginal player. So, at worst, I'd see Wolters as the #2 PG for the Jacks. Nagy often played 3 or 4 guards together in the second half of last season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolters on the court with Callahan and Sargent either.

ndsubison1
04-29-2009, 09:56 PM
yeah Wolters should play some 2 guard as well with his size

NDSUstudent
04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I will say the first comment was kind of in jest, I do like Wolters as a player, just had to throw a little jab towards the Jacks for nabbing a guy we wanted.

I do agree that SDSU is his best shot to get a lot of playing time right away, that probably had more to do with it then the competition here. NDSU pulling back on recruiting him after we signed Felt also probably didn't help.

jack power
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes, I think you are correct about which positions these guys will play. Wolters has PG skills and he prefers that position, but he also has the size to play the 2 spot easily. I don't think Wolters was likely scared off by the prospect of competing with the two guards that NDSU had already signed in his class. Now, when you add Lundberg to the mix, the situation is a bit murkier. Lundberg is very likely to be a starter next year, and he will be only a sophomore.

SDSU has two pretty good guards coming back in Garrett Callahan and Clint Sargent. I wouldn't expect Wolters to beat out either of those guys next year, but Callahan will be a senior. The backup point guard last year, Michael Palarca, is a marginal player. So, at worst, I'd see Wolters as the #2 PG for the Jacks. Nagy often played 3 or 4 guards together in the second half of last season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolters on the court with Callahan and Sargent either.
Wolters is being brought in as a point guard. That's an obvious need for us. I would like to say the Jacks won some big recruiting battle, but i think it was a simple matter of playing time that is available.

zooropa
04-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Callahan & Sargent generally played the 2, with Palarca starting at the 1.

As to Wolters, I think it's about more than just playing time. Not trying to get smackish, or anything, just saying that it's about more than just playing time.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM

As to Wolters, I think it's about more than just playing time. Not trying to get smackish, or anything, just saying that it's about more than just playing time.

Looks like he can start right away, Palarca is very marginal, I wouldn't even take Palarca over Vaughan. I still think NDSU backing off was a part of this, SDSU never really pulled back, he kind of pulled back from them(which is still the part I don't get about this whole thing).

unbison
04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Wolters must really like sunshine blown up his _____.... not gonna happen in Brookings....... someone should tell the kid that Brookings is a womens basketball town!!!

ndsubison1
04-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I will say the first comment was kind of in jest, I do like Wolters as a player, just had to throw a little jab towards the Jacks for nabbing a guy we wanted.

I do agree that SDSU is his best shot to get a lot of playing time right away, that probably had more to do with it then the competition here. NDSU pulling back on recruiting him after we signed Felt also probably didn't help.

Those both go hand-in-hand though...

Herd
04-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Wolters is an excellent player and would have been great as a bison. The fact that he siged down south doesn't change that. Over the next few years we will lament the fact that he is not a bison.

He had the ball in his hands at SC Tech out of necessity. He moves well without the ball and will be used primarily as a 2 guard. He scores well at the hoop and will challenge bigger players. I agree, he probably was interested in NDSU early on and miffed that he was not offered. When you call him after the state tournament and say, OH I guess we are interested, it probably doesn't go over well.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Those both go hand-in-hand though...

That is true to an extent but SDSU does run a more guard orientated offense than does NDSU so that should create more opportunities for him.

jack power
04-30-2009, 12:28 AM

Even though it's his natural position, Sargent seldom played the 2. He played the 3 and also logged a fair amount of time at the 1.

JacksFan06
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
He actually would have most likely received more time if he came to NDSU.

The Jacks bring back two starting guards, Callahan 16ppg, and Sargent 14 ppg.

NDSU brings back Lundberg (played in 5 games at UNI and scored 9 pts) and Vaughn (3 ppg)

Behind Callahan the Jacks have JR Dale Moss (6ppg, might start over Sargent next year) and SO Griffan Callahan (6pts), JR Palarca probably won't see the court much next season. The Jacks also bring in PG/SG Chad White 6'7 and PG Brayden Carlson 6'5. SDSU has also signed a 6'5 Guard who put up 50pts as a sophmore this year.

NDSU's back ups are JR Freddy Coleman (2ppg) and SR Pennick. They bring in Felt and Zastrow.

Personally, I have no idea why Wolters decided on SDSU besides what he said, "get's minutes, liked coaches, DI close to home, and program on the rise" I think it also doesn't hurt that SDSU recruited him from the start instead of coming in late like NDSU.

Mr. Burgundy
04-30-2009, 01:31 AM
I just hope his Dad is happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JACKS

zooropa
04-30-2009, 02:09 AM
someone should tell the kid that Brookings is a womens basketball town!!!

Well, see, SDSU, unlike NDSU, plays Saturday doubleheaders. Which makes Brookings a basketball town, period, not a women's basketball town or a men's basketball town.

Kemo
04-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Behind Callahan the Jacks have JR Dale Moss (6ppg, might start over Sargent next year)
Sargent will start as long as he is in a Jacks uniform (or unless he is hurt/coming off an injury), for if Moss is playing well enough to warrant starting, he'll be at the 3 and Sargent will be at the 1.

Kemo
04-30-2009, 03:13 AM
I just hope his Dad is happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JACKS

Burgundy! your inbox is full :banghead:

jackrabbit1979
04-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Wolters is an excellent player and would have been great as a bison. The fact that he siged down south doesn't change that. Over the next few years we will lament the fact that he is not a bison.

He had the ball in his hands at SC Tech out of necessity. He moves well without the ball and will be used primarily as a 2 guard. He scores well at the hoop and will challenge bigger players. I agree, he probably was interested in NDSU early on and miffed that he was not offered. When you call him after the state tournament and say, OH I guess we are interested, it probably doesn't go over well.

He won't play much of the 2 guard at SDSU, he is brought in as the point guard.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=3730430

jackrabbit1979
04-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Looks like he can start right away, Palarca is very marginal, I wouldn't even take Palarca over Vaughan. I still think NDSU backing off was a part of this, SDSU never really pulled back, he kind of pulled back from them(which is still the part I don't get about this whole thing).

It's hard to say that SDSU never really pulled back, as it seems both SDSU and Nate broke off communication for about 4 months. Neither were contacting each other according to this:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a6683d186-0755-4075-a3d2-3e9609d26cc3&sid=sitelife.argusleader.com

To me the situation went down like this. It seems like SDSU wanted Nate to commit early last fall, he and his family liked SDSU, the staff, and the offer, but had reservations at that time (most likely related to the job security of the SDSU staff). SDSU continued to push for a commitment probably assuming that if they didn't sign him early they wouldn't have a chance later as he was going to blow up during his senior season (which almost happened>>>see Colorado St). The pressure turned Nate off and they ended the recruitment. SDSU has a decent season, lands a couple of big recruits, brings back all their talent, and the questions around the staff being dismissed are ended. SDSU jumps back in and Nate sees a school that has been on high on him from the beginning (SDSU had offers to both Nate and Felt at the same time last summer), a more positive situation in Brookings, and an opportunity to join a program on the mend. Hopefully it will work out for both parties.

JACKGUYII
04-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Some articles from the St Cloud Times that provide more background on the Recruiting and Decision process of Nate Wolters:

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20090430/SPORTS04/104300003&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=b437abfc4c294e1eb6a937f1f2a25373&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ab437abfc4c294e1eb6a937f1f2a25373 Post%3aa64da22b-ccdb-4d8c-9c11-fd56391dfa93&sid=sitelife.sctimes.com

unbison
04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Who cares!!! enuff about bunny womens bball

NDSUstudent
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
"Point guard is the position I'm most comfortable with," Wolters said. "Hopefully, I can see time right away. I know it will be tough to get time."

If he wants to be a point guard and play right away he went to the right place.

unbison
04-30-2009, 06:42 PM
If he wants to play right away he went to the right place, that team needs help on the road!

Fixed it for ya

IowaBisonToo
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Hey -- I'm from SC Tech! Just 'cause the kid doesn't pick NDSU he's a worm and now all of a sudden he's overrated??? :smh: Are you gonna take your toy and go home to play by yourself now? NDSU is a great school but it's not for everybody. He's a kid, give him a break. I guess he saw something about SDSU he liked better.

unbison
04-30-2009, 10:18 PM
best thing in brookings has to be Cubby's

JacksFan06
05-01-2009, 12:02 AM
If he wants to play right away he went to the right place, that team needs help on the road!

Fixed it for ya

If he wanted to scrum at the bottom of the summit for the next four years, he should've picked NDSU!

Fixed it for ya

Mr. Burgundy
05-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Hey Jacksfan06, are you really on a Bison board and expecting a Bison fan to not be pro Bison? Seriously. I am not starting smack, but we had a plan. It was executed. We knew the Fab 4 would graduate, and we may rebuild, but until you do something, you are not the king of the Summit. That is the Bison, until they are beat. I would say that Oakland may go undefeated. Some people on your board are suggesting that a team that has yet to win a road game may go 17-2 in conference. Seriously, congrats on getting Wolters, he is a nice piece, but don't suggest that you are the greatest thing to enter the Summit.

Like Mike Tice said....."All right now, calm down."

JACKGUYII
05-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Hey Jacksfan06, are you really on a Bison board and expecting a Bison fan to not be pro Bison? Seriously. I am not starting smack, but we had a plan. It was executed. We knew the Fab 4 would graduate, and we may rebuild, but until you do something, you are not the king of the Summit. That is the Bison, until they are beat. I would say that Oakland may go undefeated. Some people on your board are suggesting that a team that has yet to win a road game may go 17-2 in conference. Seriously, congrats on getting Wolters, he is a nice piece, but don't suggest that you are the greatest thing to enter the Summit.

Your plan worked to perfection and now the Jacks have their own version of the Fab 4. White,Fiegan,Carlson and Wolters. I'm not predicting we go 17-2, but rather will finish in the top 5 in the conference. Speaking of Mike Tice his son Nate will be joining the Jacks football team this fall.

tjbison
05-01-2009, 02:12 AM

If he wanted to scrum at the bottom of the summit for the next four years, he should've picked NDSU!

Fixed it for ya

you must have just woke up from a nice little Crack induced coma, cause last time I checked NDSU was at the TOP and well the Bunny's do I have to remind you!! go back in your hole

unbison
05-01-2009, 02:12 AM
How did he let his son go to Brookings....everyone knows Fargo is the nearest TUFF Guy TOWN!

tjbison
05-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Your plan worked to perfection and now the Jacks have their own version of the Fab 4. White,Fiegan,Carlson and Wolters. I'm not predicting we go 17-2, but rather will finish in the top 5 in the conference. Speaking of Mike Tice his son Nate will be joining the Jacks football team this fall.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

we will see, i'm going for the NOT!!!

zooropa
05-01-2009, 04:56 AM

I was with ya, man, I was nodding my head, I was saying 'dang straight!' and then you went and quoted Mike Tice

http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/archive/Miscellaneous/To-categorize/record-stop/264170

:eek:

zooropa
05-01-2009, 04:57 AM
i'm going for the NOT!!!

Me too. It'll be a long time before SDSU graduates their entire team...

Mr. Burgundy
05-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Not many people knew we had a "fab 4" either until they got on campus and put in years of work. They all kept getting better. Alot of luck involved. But, they were all local kids with good heads, and that seems to be a good start. Nagy may get sick of Wolters Dad in the huddle and on the bus, but hopefully his play will overlook that.

Rabbitlivinginverm
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Not many people knew we had a "fab 4" either until they got on campus and put in years of work. They all kept getting better. Alot of luck involved. But, they were all local kids with good heads, and that seems to be a good start. Nagy may get sick of Wolters Dad in the huddle and on the bus, but hopefully his play will overlook that.

Just wondering what your beef is with his dad? Is it that he allegedly made a post on the SDSU board that Nate was not going to attend SDSU? Or do you have some other information that you would care to share instead of just dropping backhanded digs at him???

SDSUAlum08
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM

I was trying to find a place to put this and I came across this thread and this comment. No smack intended. No one knew he'd be this good.

Wolters is a preseason finalist for the Bob Cousy award for the best PG in the country. There are some very impressive names.

Here's the link: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/06/12/year-floor-general/

HerdBot
06-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I was trying to find a place to put this and I came across this thread and this comment. No smack intended. No one knew he'd be this good.

Wolters is a preseason finalist for the Bob Cousy award for the best PG in the country. There are some very impressive names.

Wolters is definitely not overrated but I don't think any of us saw this coming. Would have loved to have him although Alexander had a phenomenal freshman year. Set us back a few years but when Wolters is gone well be in a great spot

Mr. Burgundy
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM

I wish nothing but the best for this kid. Too bad the recruiting drama surrounding that deal never will go public. Talk about a bizarre deal. I am glad his opinion of Brookings has apparently changed.

wow
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
I wish nothing but the best for this kid. Too bad the recruiting drama surrounding that deal never will go public. Talk about a bizarre deal. I am glad his opinion of Brookings has apparently changed.

If you have something to say, do it already. If not, I guess you can just keep drudging up unfounded accusations. Wait, not really accusations, more like insinuations.

Almost all your posts on Wolters remind me of how highschool girls talk about each other and their boyfriends. "I wish nothing but the best for Julie. Too bad nobody knows about what happened after prom, talk about a story. I am glad her opinion of Tom has apparently changed." LOL

Mr. Burgundy
06-13-2012, 10:08 PM
If you have something to say, do it already. If not, I guess you can just keep drudging up unfounded accusations. Wait, not really accusations, more like insinuations.

Almost all your posts on Wolters remind me of how highschool girls talk about each other and their boyfriends. "I wish nothing but the best for Julie. Too bad nobody knows about what happened after prom, talk about a story. I am glad her opinion of Tom has apparently changed." LOL

Yep, I brought this up. Yep. Good work. he is a student athlete, and it worked out good for him.

silkamilkamonico
06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Wolters is a phenomonal player, and the only reason Nagy still has a job with SDSU.

ndsubison1
06-18-2012, 06:07 PM

clearly burgundy knows more than you do...

SDSUAlum08
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
clearly burgundy knows more than you do...

We all know it (and it doesn't matter anymore). Lucky enough for him, things worked out the best for him and SDSU.

JSUBison
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
We all know it (and it doesn't matter anymore). Lucky enough for him, things worked out the best for him and SDSU.

Disagree. Wolters would have won a NCAA game if he had come to NDSU.

:D :bunnyb:

Mr. Burgundy
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
isn't this where someone posts the article about how Wolters said he loves the movie theatre or something?

kid is good. Wish we had him! LA needs a good backup when he is tired. Kidding. relax Brookings.

dragonsfan
06-19-2012, 02:40 AM
msum has a movie theatre! cheap one too.

Bison bison
06-19-2012, 02:52 AM
isn't this where someone posts the article about how Wolters said he loves the movie theatre or something?

kid is good. Wish we had him! LA needs a good backup when he is tired. Kidding. relax Brookings.

Relax Brookings would be a great name for a sitcom.

tjbison
06-19-2012, 03:39 AM
i cant believe we are still talking about a player that verballed last decade to SDSU, who the hell cares...sorry just need to let it go

BadlandsBison
06-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Relax Brookings would be a great name for a sitcom.

Limited spin-off potential, though.

dragonsfan
06-19-2012, 03:43 AM
id take ben woodside every day of the week and twice on sundays.

sambini
06-19-2012, 07:55 AM
A new reality show Jackrabbit junction... Nate is a great player good luck to him. Except when he plays the BISON...

Blue
06-22-2012, 07:26 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures.

Someone please post something entertaining here

TransAmBison
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures.

Someone please post something entertaining here
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt4/bobjohnson_03/x2_504f6b6.jpgThere you go.

Blue
06-22-2012, 07:33 PM
This thread makes my balls itch, shouldn't have shaved them for a woman obviously. If this was SDSUFans, this thread would have been shut down 6 pages ago! J/K, I came out of a year long hibernation for this shit?

TransAmBison
06-22-2012, 07:36 PM
This thread makes my balls itch, shouldn't have shaved them for a woman obviously. If this was SDSUFans, this thread would have been shut down 6 pages ago! J/K, I came out of a year long hibernation for this shit?If this was SDSUFans, it would only have three posts by now. :D

ISXBISON
07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Wolters currently at the #60 spot in this mock draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19445979/goodmans-2013-nba-mock-draft-whos-the-next-no-1-pick