PDA

View Full Version : Most talent ever?

CaBisonFan
04-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Based upon what we're seeing with NFL interest in our grads...could it be said that this is the most talented class that we've had...especially in this new era? IMO...it probably is.

I can't remember this kind of NFL attention. Am I wrong? One other question: What's up with Humber?

I'll bet that the coaches will like having this ammunition during their recruiting visits.

A1pigskin
04-28-2009, 12:30 AM
This definitely will help with recruiting and enrollment. This is really amazing. Just to have the opportunity to give the NFL a shot says something about our program and the opportunities after graduation.

DjKyRo
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I can't speak for years previous, but I would guess this class is up there. It's just too bad we couldn't utilize this talent more last season. Without a doubt though, this helps big-time for recruiting and just pushes the guys this year to work harder. Game time, baby.

A1pigskin
04-28-2009, 12:36 AM
What this says is that work hard and dreams can come true as Bison Player. These players laid the foundation for our program. I hope they all make it through.

HerdBot
04-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Based upon what we're seeing with NFL interest in our grads...could it be said that this is the most talented class that we've had...especially in this new era? IMO...it probably is.

I can't remember this kind of NFL attention. Am I wrong? One other question: What's up with Humber?

I'll bet that the coaches will like having this ammunition during their recruiting visits.

What's cool is we have more players going in the NFL than the Gophers of the Big Ten. Who says you can't make the pro's at a D1-AA school? And 3 of those players are from right here in Fargo!

Tough to argue with 8 players although how about this article written from Sports Illustrated in 1969 talking about 6 Bison players going to the NFL!

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1146650/index.htm

NORTH DAKOTA STATE

After chasing San Diego State (which last summer was ruled a major school) for two years, North Dakota State finally edged the Aztecs as the top small college team in the country in 1968. The margin, however, was about as thin as a chin strap, for while Dakota was going unbeaten in 10 games—including a 23-14 win over Arkansas State in the Pecan Bowl—the Aztecs were stumbling ever so slightly (in a 13-13 tie with Tennessee State) to finish 9-0-1.

This year, without San Diego to contend with, it is unlikely that Dakota will fail to repeat as small college champion. The Bison are minus 18 lettermen from that bowl team, but this can hardly be termed disastrous when 31 are returning. Coach Ron Erhardt's only problem will be shoring up a defense that has lost several players, for the Bison attack should look like a stampede. Little All-America Halfback Paul Hatchett leads the way. In 1968 he raced for 1,213 yards and 19 touchdowns (including five in one game). Bruce Grasamke, the spunky leader who piled up 1,080 yards in total offense, returns at quarterback, and Halfback Tim Mjos (say Mewss) should be in for a big year. Split End Chuck Wald is the best wide receiver the Bison have ever had (he caught 47 passes for 561 yards and five TDs), and Tight End Les Nicholas is a devastating blocker.

Erhardt, who is 27-3 in three years at Fargo, is the cautious type. "We aren't talking about just replacing seniors," he argues. "We're talking about replacing outstanding seniors, six of whom signed with the pros." Look for the Bison to replace those seniors, just as they have done for the past three years, and win their second straight small college title.

thundastruck
04-28-2009, 01:59 AM

This is great ammunition for recruiting especially when the Gophers only have 2 maybe 3 guys going!
Ramon got signed as a FA to the Colts and rumor has it...they really like him out there!
I have thought for a long time that this is the most talented class brought into the Bison!
Man the team is sure going to be hurting next year losing 8 guys that are going to the NFL!!

Bryan
04-28-2009, 02:02 AM
give me a break, your talking about undrafted free agents. I would think the Gophers have just a little ammunition with the 15 guys who actually played in the NFL last year.

CaBisonFan
04-28-2009, 02:10 AM
give me a break, your talking about undrafted free agents. I would think the Gophers have just a little ammunition with the 15 guys who actually played in the NFL last year.

Give who a break?

I think that the discussion is about 'this' year.

MNLonghorn10
04-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Not bad for a 1st year FCS tournament eligible team to get THAT many UDFA's to get invites to professional teams.

Odds are they wont make them but it'll be good for something down the line. Every schools got to start somewhere.

A lot of the bigger schools like shit, Florida, Texas, Michigan etc all had less than 5 people drafted.

LifeLongBison
04-28-2009, 02:57 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it probably fits better in this thread:

This would be one of the best NFL draft years ever for the Bison

However, even at the division II level, we had some pretty darn good years as well.
(i included CFL contracts as well -- still a good accomplishment to make it to the CFL)

Below would be some of the better years for Bison signing professional contracts:
(not necessarily NFL career-wise, but as far as #'s go)

lamar gordon Rams
pete campion Panthers
Andrew LeClair Saints
Richard Lewis Packers
Jared Peck Broncos

Chad Stark Giants
Chris Servais Giants
Scott Schutt Patriots
Dana Muehlauser Cowboys
Tyrone Braxton Broncos
Jeff Bentrim Saskatchewan (CFL)
Jim Dick Saskatchewan (CFL)

Paul Olson Cowboys
Dave Piepkorn Browns
Tom Shockman Giants
Barry Sorensen Chiefs
Mike Stratton Vikings
Mike Whetstone Broncos

Ron Wick Falcons
Joe Pomykacz Cowboys
Bruce Nelson Packers
Del Gehrett Raiders
Jim Ferge Colts
Mike Berdis Dolphins
Steve Conley Ottowa (CFL)

One interesting stat might be: what is the % of undrafted free agents that actually make an NFL team?
I don't really have a clue, but i'd guess somewhere down around 3% to 4% -- or maybe even less. It always seems like they are the first ones cut. But it's still a great honor, and an experience they will never forget. Some Bison players will now be able to say -- i practiced with Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees, or I got to "try" to tackle Adrian Peterson. That in itself would be pretty cool.

56BISON73
04-28-2009, 03:08 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it probably fits better in this thread:

This would be one of the best NFL draft years ever for the Bison

However, even at the division II level, we had some pretty darn good years as well.
(i included CFL contracts as well -- still a good accomplishment to make it to the CFL)

Below would be some of the better years for Bison signing professional contracts:
(not necessarily NFL career-wise, but as far as #'s go)

lamar gordon Rams
pete campion Panthers
Andrew LeClair Saints
Richard Lewis Packers
Jared Peck Broncos

Chad Stark Giants
Chris Servais Giants
Scott Schutt Patriots
Dana Muehlauser Cowboys
Tyrone Braxton Broncos
Jeff Bentrim Saskatchewan (CFL)
Jim Dick Saskatchewan (CFL)

Paul Olson Cowboys
Dave Piepkorn Browns
Tom Shockman Giants
Barry Sorensen Chiefs
Mike Stratton Vikings
Mike Whetstone Broncos

Ron Wick Falcons
Joe Pomykacz Cowboys
Bruce Nelson Packers
Del Gehrett Raiders
Jim Ferge Colts
Mike Berdis Dolphins
Steve Conley Ottowa (CFL)

One interesting stat might be: what is the % of undrafted free agents that actually make an NFL team?
I don't really have a clue, but i'd guess somewhere down around 3% to 4% -- or maybe even less. It always seems like they are the first ones cut. But it's still a great honor, and an experience they will never forget. Some Bison players will now be able to say -- i practiced with Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees, or I got to "try" to tackle Adrian Peterson. That in itself would be pretty cool.

Have a question---
What do you mean by best draft years??? Does that mean just players who were actually drafted? Or those signed as a free agent or a combination of both?

BisonCountry
04-28-2009, 03:21 AM
It makes our 6-5 season look all the more disappointing!

During the draft they did a small segment on UDFA who have had a great NFL carreer. Kurt Warner, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Willie Parker to name a few.

Side note: what a strange draft this year was... UCONN produced 4 draft choices all on the first day and the U only had 1 in the 3rd round.

HerdBot
04-28-2009, 04:32 AM

Call it what you want but it's a fact that the Gophers had ONE UNDRAFTED PLAYER get signed. NDSU had 1 player drafted and 7 more sign with other teams. There is a huge story on the lone Gopher to get signed this year on their website.

The Gophers have 10 players currently on active rosters. How many do the Bison have? Dahl, Mays, and Drago? That number could grow substantially.

LifeLongBison
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Have a question---
What do you mean by best draft years??? Does that mean just players who were actually drafted? Or those signed as a free agent or a combination of both?

Not all of those players were drafted -- just signed a pro contract. I believe i read somewhere that the Bison have had 23 different players actually drafted by NFL teams. (maybe thats 24 now with Schommer)
I would assume most of the ones listed in my previous post were undrafted free agent contracts.

Here's a link right within bisonville.com listing all the pro contract signings in Bison history:
http://www.bisonville.com/bisonpro.html

Bison"FANatic"
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I think what it comes down to is we have 8 players that "have their shot". With the NFL that is all you can ask for is to get your chance. Numbers wise it was a great draft and free agent period for the Bison. Now we will see how many stick but even if they don't they got the chance to show what they can do at the highest level of their sport. That is a great recruiting tool to walk into a senior in high school and sit down with.

CUgoldenBEARS
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
First of all, I am both a Gopher fan and a Bison fan. I would like to congratulate the Bison for their great successes the past few years and also with all the players moving to the next level. Keep in mind though, that in the Gophers final game vs. Kansas they started only 3 seniors. I think everyone can agree that Mason failed to recruit the Minnesota kids and NDSU was a team that directly benefitted from it. He would be content with getting the lower ranked Ohio kids, and that left many Minnesota kids to be looked over. Players like Maresh, Humber, Dahl, Safe, etc would have all looked very good in Maroon and Gold.

EagleBison
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Not all of those players were drafted -- just signed a pro contract. I believe i read somewhere that the Bison have had 23 different players actually drafted by NFL teams. (maybe thats 24 now with Schommer)
I would assume most of the ones listed in my previous post were undrafted free agent contracts.

Here's a link right within bisonville.com listing all the pro contract signings in Bison history:
http://www.bisonville.com/bisonpro.html

Is there a list of the 24 somewhere? Piepkorn, Gordon, Hansen, Schommer, .............etc

HerdBot
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
First of all, I am both a Gopher fan and a Bison fan. I would like to congratulate the Bison for their great successes the past few years and also with all the players moving to the next level. Keep in mind though, that in the Gophers final game vs. Kansas they started only 3 seniors. I think everyone can agree that Mason failed to recruit the Minnesota kids and NDSU was a team that directly benefitted from it. He would be content with getting the lower ranked Ohio kids, and that left many Minnesota kids to be looked over. Players like Maresh, Humber, Dahl, Safe, etc would have all looked very good in Maroon and Gold.

I disagree. Mason recruited Minnesota. The Gopher sr class has 13 kids out of Minnesota and the Jr and So Class has 9 each. That was under Mason. How many Minnesota kids has Brewer recruited? According to the current roster, there are 4 freshman and redshirt freshman out of Minnesota. The Gophers always get the top recruits over NDSU like Marion Barber and Sam Maresch.

The NDSU senior class only has 6 kids from Minnesota. The Jr class has 8.

NDSU recruits regionally. Minnesota recruits nationally. That's how they get the really good players like Lawrence Maroney.

There is an abundance of great Minnesota kids out there. The difference between now and years ago is the parity in scholarships. Minnesota only has 20 more than NDSU. Back in the old days the D1-A schools would have had 60 more and those kids who would normally be backups on the Gophers are now starting at NDSU and getting a chance at an NFL career.

If you were a talened player who is good but maybe not NFL good, would you pay for college to play at Minnesota or get a free ride at NDSU to start?

It doesn't really matter anyway because you can have a team of the best players and if you don't have a coach, it won't mattter.

td577
04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
The NFL has a lot of UDFA playing within its ranks. Drafted or not, I think the best thing you can ask for is an opportunity. While the odds might not be in their favor, these young men will get the opportunity to make an NFL roster. I think a couple will be successful and continue to lead the way for future Bison athletes.

WYOBISONMAN
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Some information on the incredible success of some UDFAs in the NFL........

List of undrafted NFL players selected to a Pro Bowl

Darren Bennett – After a significant professional career in Australian rules football, he came to the US in 1995 and had even more success as a punter, being named as an All-Pro twice and as one of two punters on the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.

Joshua Cribbs – A kick returner from Kent State University, was the Pro Bowl selection for the AFC as a kick returner.

Jake Delhomme – A quarterback from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He played in the now defunct NFL Europa before playing significant minutes in the NFL. He was a member of the first Carolina Panthers team to play in the Super Bowl and has played in the Pro Bowl.

Jeff Garcia - A quarterback from San Diego State University. He played in the Canadian Football League before becoming a Pro-Bowler with the San Francisco 49ers and later the Philadelphia Eagles. Garcia is currently signed with the Oakland Raiders.

Antonio Gates – A tight end from Kent State University, has gone to the Pro Bowl four times and been named first team All-Pro three times.

Robbie Gould - A placekicker for the Chicago Bears. Gould became just the fourth kicker in NFL history to hit game-winning field goals in overtime in back-to-back games. Gould converted 26 of 29 field goal attempts (89.7 percent) in 2008, breaking his own franchise single-season record for accuracy. He was elected to the 2007 Pro Bowl.

James Harrison – A Linebacker who currently plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Was named AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008. He also set a record in Super Bowl XLIII with a 100-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Priest Holmes – A running back from the University of Texas at Austin; Holmes led the NFL in rushing yards in 2002.

Mat McBriar – Punter, Dallas Cowboys, is the highest paid punter in the NFL.

Willie Parker – A running back, he set a number of Pittsburgh Steelers team records.

Jason Peters – Pro Bowl and All-Pro offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles. He played tight end for the Arkansas Razorbacks in college and was moved to tackle because of his size. He beat out top-5 draft pick Mike Williams to win the position.

Antonio Pierce – Starting inside linebacker for the New York Giants and Super Bowl XLII champion.

John Randle – Defensive tackle, played mostly for the Minnesota Vikings, went undrafted in 1990 from Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Tony Romo – A quarterback from Eastern Illinois University who was signed in 2003, and spent the first three years of his career as a backup. In 2006, his first season as a starter, he made the Pro Bowl. He has also tied the Dallas Cowboys team record for most touchdown passes (5) in a game.

Bart Scott – A linebacker who attended Southern Illinois and is currently on the New York Jets. He is a 1 time Pro Bowler and 1-time All-Pro selection. Both in 2006.

Clifton Smith - A running back for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he was elected to the 2009 Pro Bowl as the NFC's kick/punt returner.

Rod Smith – A wide receiver from Missouri Southern State University; he established a number of Denver Broncos team records and has appeared in multiple Pro Bowl games.

Mack Strong – A former fullback for the Seattle Seahawks who went to multiple Pro Bowls and blocked for record-setting Shaun Alexander in the 2005 season. Is often revered as one of the best fullbacks in history.

Mike Vanderjagt – Pro Bowl and All-Pro placekicker for the Indianapolis Colts and Dallas Cowboys who is the NFL career leader in field goal percentage.

Adam Vinatieri – A placekicker from South Dakota State, he has set several NFL post-season and Super Bowl records and is a two-time Pro Bowl selection. In addition he is a four time Super Bowl champion.

Kurt Warner – A quarterback who graduated from the University of Northern Iowa, Warner's professional career started in the Arena Football League. After he played one season in NFL Europa, Warner signed with the St. Louis Rams. Warner earned the Super Bowl MVP award for his performance in Super Bowl XXXIV. In addition Warner is a two time NFL MVP.

Brian Waters – A guard who is the only offensive lineman to be an AFC player of the week.

Wes Welker – Wide receiver for the New England Patriots. He tied for the league lead in receptions in the 2007 NFL season and led the Patriots in catches in Super Bowl XLII with 11.

Pat Williams - Pro Bowl defensive tackle for the Minnesota Vikings.

17>1
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Also something else to note. Craig Bohls first recruiting class was this group of guys. Not to shabby considering most on here refer to Babich's last class as one of the best (Mays, Drago, Walker, Safe).

LifeLongBison
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Is there a list of the 24 somewhere? Piepkorn, Gordon, Hansen, Schommer, .............etc

2009 - Nick Schommer, (7th round
2008 - Joe Mays, (6th round - Philadelphia)
2005 - Rob Hunt, (5th round - Indianapolis Colts)
2002 - Lamar Gordon, (3rd round - St. Louis)
2002 - Pete Campion (7th round - Carolina)
1991 - Phil Hansen (2nd round - Buffalo)
1989 - Doug Lloyd (6th round - Oakland)
1987 - Chad Stark (12th round - NY Giants)
1987 - Tyrone Braxton (12th round - Denver)
1985 - Stacy Robinson (2nd round - NY Giants)
1984 - Dave Piepkorn (5th round - Cleveland)
1982 - Kevin Donnalley (7th round - St. Louis)
1979 - Gordy Sprattler (9th round - NY Jets)
1977 - Chuck Rodgers (11th round - Tampa Bay)
1975 - Bruce Reimer (9th round - Pittsburgh)
1975 - Jerry Dahl (12th round - San Diego)
1974 - Steve Nelson (2nd round - New England)
1974 - Mike Puestow (10th round - Cleveland)
1974 - Sanford Quale (16th round - Buffalo)
1973 - Mike Evenson (15th round - New Orleans)
1973 - Bob Erickson (17th round - San Francisco)
1972 - Ralph Wirtz (8th round - Chicago)
1970 - Tim Mjos (8th round - Green Bay)
1970 - Chuck Wald (14th - Atlanta)

SDSU has had 25 players drafted to the NFL, and they have had the only 1st round draft pick from any NCC team: 1975 - Lynn Boden, T (1st round - Detroit)

JacksFan06
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

SDSU has had 25 players drafted to the NFL, and they have had the only 1st round draft pick from any NCC team: 1975 - Lynn Boden, T (1st round - Detroit)

According to this link, SDSU has only had 17 drafted. Our two best pros and hall of famers (Jim Langer and Adam Vinateri) weren't drafted.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=S&collegeName=South+Dakota+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

bisonmike2
04-28-2009, 06:26 PM
According to this link, SDSU has only had 17 drafted. Our two best pros and hall of famers (Jim Langer and Adam Vinateri) weren't drafted.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=S&collegeName=South+Dakota+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Jumping the gun a little bit? You're assuming Viniteri will make it to the HoF. He's already been busted for trying to illegally claim residency status in South Dakota for hunting purposes. We'll see if controversy weighs heavy on the minds of the HoF voters :)

LifeLongBison
04-28-2009, 07:15 PM

hmmm my info came from the Great West Football Conference link below
http://greatwestconference.cstv.com/proalumni/gwfc-pro-alumni.html

I guess I would probably trust nfl.com over the GWFC site

also appears that nfl.com shows some more bison players drafted that weren't on the first list --
1973 Mike Deutsch Chicago Bears
1969 Bruce Nelson Green Bay Packers
1969 Mike Berdis Miami Dolphins
1968 Ken Rota Green Bay Packers
1948 Clarence McGeary Green Bay Packers
1939 Ernie Wheeler Pittsburgh Pirates

that would bring the Bison total up to 30 drafted.

Either way, it would be fun to see some more kids out of the Dakota schools make it into the NFL.

Thundering Herd
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM

Woo hoo!

What a recruitment tool huh? This class along with BRIEFLY stating how Kurt Warner and Vinatieri played at MVFC schools would be one helluva way to show a guy that's borderline/is BCS talent that his chances of going pro are good after playing at NDSU.

I would say that this class didn't necessarily have the most talented individuals ever in Bison history, but, I would say it is the strongest class ever. My two cents....

Amused
04-28-2009, 08:50 PM
hmmm my info came from the Great West Football Conference link below
http://greatwestconference.cstv.com/proalumni/gwfc-pro-alumni.html

I guess I would probably trust nfl.com over the GWFC site

also appears that nfl.com shows some more bison players drafted that weren't on the first list --
1973 Mike Deutsch Chicago Bears
1969 Bruce Nelson Green Bay Packers
1969 Mike Berdis Miami Dolphins
1968 Ken Rota Green Bay Packers
1948 Clarence McGeary Green Bay Packers
1939 Ernie Wheeler Pittsburgh Pirates

that would bring the Bison total up to 30 drafted.

Either way, it would be fun to see some more kids out of the Dakota schools make it into the NFL.

Mike Deutsch played for UND

Bryan
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Gabe wrote:
Call it what you want but it's a fact that the Gophers had ONE UNDRAFTED PLAYER get signed. NDSU had 1 player drafted and 7 more sign with other teams. There is a huge story on the lone Gopher to get signed this year on their website.

The Gophers have 10 players currently on active rosters. How many do the Bison have? Dahl, Mays, and Drago? That number could grow substantially.

Jack Simmons signed with the Jets as well, not like its a big deal. what did those Bison players actually do in the NFL last year, the answer is very, very little. As for that number growing, doubtful, there we're some 200+ Free Agents signed after the draft, maybe 5% will make a roster or practice squad. As for the Gophers, your numbers are wrong.

Marion Baraber, 3,052 yards and 42 TD's the last four years with the Cowboys.
Lawrence Maroney in NE, 1,983 yards and 13 TD's in basically two years since he missed last year with injury.
Even Gary Russell had 3 TD's last year while winning himself a Ring with the Steelers.
Mark Setterstrom is one of the Rams best O-Lineman, Ben Hamilton has started every game for the Broncos since 2002.
Tyrone Carter also got a ring last year and had 3 INT's.
Rookie Dom Barber had 15 tackles and a sack and played every game.
Matt Spaeth also got himself a Ring with the Steelers last year and started 10 games and has 170 yards and 3 TD in two years. Ben Utecht had 123 yards last year with the Bengals.
Anthony Montgomery has started 23 games the past two years at DT for the Redskins and had 3 sacks last year, Darrell Reid had 30 tackles and 2 sacks last year for the Colts, Greg White had 58 tackles and 13 sacks the past two years for the Bucs.
Even Logan Payne had 3 catches for 39 yards for the Seahawks and Rys Lloyd was the kickoff guy for the Panthers and Ernie Wheelright made the Ravens last year as an undrafted FA.

EagleBison
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Jack Simmons signed with the Jets as well, not like its a big deal. what did those Bison players actually do in the NFL last year, the answer is very, very little. As for that number growing, doubtful, there we're some 200+ Free Agents signed after the draft, maybe 5% will make a roster or practice squad. As for the Gophers, your numbers are wrong.

Marion Baraber, 3,052 yards and 42 TD's the last four years with the Cowboys.
Lawrence Maroney in NE, 1,983 yards and 13 TD's in basically two years since he missed last year with injury.
Even Gary Russell had 3 TD's last year while winning himself a Ring with the Steelers.
Mark Setterstrom is one of the Rams best O-Lineman, Ben Hamilton has started every game for the Broncos since 2002.
Tyrone Carter also got a ring last year and had 3 INT's.
Rookie Dom Barber had 15 tackles and a sack and played every game.
Matt Spaeth also got himself a Ring with the Steelers last year and started 10 games and has 170 yards and 3 TD in two years. Ben Utecht had 123 yards last year with the Bengals.
Anthony Montgomery has started 23 games the past two years at DT for the Redskins and had 3 sacks last year, Darrell Reid had 30 tackles and 2 sacks last year for the Colts, Greg White had 58 tackles and 13 sacks the past two years for the Bucs.
Even Logan Payne had 3 catches for 39 yards for the Seahawks and Rys Lloyd was the kickoff guy for the Panthers.

The Gophers should be comparing themselves with other FBS schools, like Oklahoma, Florida, Notre Dame, USC, etc.......

Bryan
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Nobody from those schools are making a big deal out of FA signed to mini camps or taking shots at the Gophers like Bison fans are doing on this and the MN boards.

tjbison
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Not bad for a 1st year FCS tournament eligible team to get THAT many UDFA's to get invites to professional teams.

Odds are they wont make them but it'll be good for something down the line. Every schools got to start somewhere.

A lot of the bigger schools like shit, Florida, Texas, Michigan etc all had less than 5 people drafted.

is the first one in your list the gophers???? ha
:hide: :D

SamsRams
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Nobody from those schools are making a big deal out of FA signed to mini camps or taking shots at the Gophers like Bison fans are doing on this and the MN boards.

And why would they, most FCS programs don't even know Minnesota has a football team and to compare themselves to them in anyway would be suicide for the program.
Funny enough, if MSUM ever had a message board that made fun of NDSU, I am pretty sure noone from Bisonville would care.

DjKyRo
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Funny enough, if MSUM ever had a message board that made fun of NDSU, I am pretty sure noone from Bisonville would care.

Lakes would, he'd be the first one to make a troll account over there telling them how bad they all smell. :D

LifeLongBison
04-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Mike Deutsch played for UND

Now thats a good one.
nfl.com shows him as playing for North Dakota State.

Ya can't always believe what you read on the internet.

Here's another list of NDSU players drafted in the NFL --- it shows 32 of them
a couple of them played both at Minnesota and at NDSU -- not sure which one they graduated from, but shows they at least played at NDSU

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/nodakotast/drafted.htm

That list shows 33 players --- 34 now with Schommer

56BISON73
04-29-2009, 01:40 AM
According to the draft list the most talent came from the 1973 team as 3 players were drafted in 1974. Also on that team weere two players who were drafted in 1975. That doesnt include the FAs.
There were also fewer teams in the NFL than their are now.

Yellow
04-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Could this then be called the most underachieving class?

HerdBot
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Could this then be called the most underachieving class?

Yes. Or you could also call it the most overachieving class ever. You have to judge the class by the overall body of work and over the last 4 years they kicked some serious ass. We had 4 kids from Fargo go to the NFL. Think about that. Bohl and his staff have certainly proven they have the ability to develop players.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes. Or you could also call it the most overachieving class ever. You have to judge the class by the overall body of work and over the last 4 years they kicked some serious ass. We had 4 kids from Fargo go to the NFL. Think about that. Bohl and his staff have certainly proven they have the ability to develop players.

Can we differentiate between developing players, and developing teams? Did we have enough Senior Leadership?

56BISON73
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Gabe
They kicked ass in a 5 team conference. Then when they moved up they didnt fair too well. The 4 kids from Fargo had-have try outs. I wouldnt put a feather in my hat until they make it in the NFL. IMO they woefully under acheived as a team. But remember having classes under acheive is not all that uncommon. Especially when other schools classes over acheive and some actually acheive their potential someone is going to come up with the short stick.

56BISON73
04-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Ca
Only one player was drafted. How can that be construed as great interest? We had what 6-7 FAs. Which is great for them but really nothing special when you look at the scope of the draft and how many teams are now in the NFL.

56BISON73
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Can we differentiate between developing players, and developing teams? Did we have enough Senior Leadership?

Good point.

stevdock
04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
According to the draft list the most talent came from the 1973 team as 3 players were drafted in 1974. Also on that team weere two players who were drafted in 1975. That doesnt include the FAs.
There were also fewer teams in the NFL than their are now.

In 1974 the draft went 17 rounds so there were almost twice as many players drafted that year than there was this year. My guess would be that even if the draft went 12 rounds that some of these guys would have been drafted this year, that is just a guess though.

56BISON73
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
In 1973 the draft went 17 rounds so there were almost twice as many players drafted that year than there was this year. My guess would be that even if the draft went 12 rounds that some of these guys would have been drafted this year, that is just a guess though.

Steve
Good points. I had forgotten about the length of the draft back then..But remember there were fewer teams.

stevdock
04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
I know, there were about 450 picks back then. I just looked at that draft. 2 NDSU players back then would have still gone in this years draft as they were taken in the first 250 picks. So you could make the case that draft class was still better based on that, but by sheer numbers in the draft it's hard to say because I'd guess a few more of this class would have been picked in the next 200 picks of the draft.

HerdBot
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Gabe
They kicked ass in a 5 team conference. Then when they moved up they didnt fair too well. The 4 kids from Fargo had-have try outs. I wouldnt put a feather in my hat until they make it in the NFL. IMO they woefully under acheived as a team. But remember having classes under acheive is not all that uncommon. Especially when other schools classes over acheive and some actually acheive their potential someone is going to come up with the short stick.

The expectations were so high last year we were bound to fail. But big picture we went 26-7 (.799) over the last 3 years including 2-2 vs FBC teams and both losses were decided by a field goal. Of our 7 losses in 3 years (2 were to FBS tems), 5 of them were by a combined 15 points. Our 2nd worst loss was at Youngstown and we had a chance to send it in to OT. We only had 1 decisive loss and that was at Northern Iowa. We were ranked in the top 10 for nearly 3 years in a row and at 1 point in time we went almost 2 years between losses to FCS teams. We went 6-5 in one of the better conferences in the FCS. We beat a very good Southern Illinois team.

We didn't perform as a team last year. As much good karma as we had in 06-07, we had just as much bad karma in 08. Injuries were borderline insane. Bounces didn't go our way and even our kicker flaked out. Our special teams was hideous as best.