PDA

View Full Version : What about a 7 footer?

WYOBISONMAN
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
We have one scholie to spend this year. After watching how a solid big guy in the middle was able to handle the Bison at the Dance, I was wondering if we need to get that big guy that can dominate in the paint. Outside shooting is fun to watch, and when you are on you will win games, but does that big guy give you more consitency? I think it probably does......if can find one.

My dream is a well coordinated 7 footer..............

Rabbitlivinginverm
04-26-2009, 01:29 PM
We have one scholie to spend this year. After watching how a solid big guy in the middle was able to handle the Bison at the Dance, I was wondering if we need to get that big guy that can dominate in the paint. Outside shooting is fun to watch, and when you are on you will win games, but does that big guy give you more consitency? I think it probably does......if can find one.

My dream is a well coordinated 7 footer..............

Hello Captain Obvious...

WYOBISONMAN
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Hello Captain Obvious...

Wow.....a Jack fan being a Sunday morning asshole on here....:smh:

tjbison
04-26-2009, 01:58 PM

That would have gotten you banned on Bunnyturdville!!!!:smh:

Rabbitlivinginverm
04-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Yeah, sorry about that. Posted that then went to change baby's diaper and thought about it. I did sound like a jerk.

What I should have said is that every team is after that 7 footer that can actually play. At our level, we may get a 7 footer but he's going to be a project guy (see Mark Engen). While Engen is actually somewhat coordinated, his best offensive weapon is the 3 point shot. I think Mooreman was a pretty good player for you guys. Flowers (isn't he 6-9?) will have a good year next year. He impressed me during the minutes I saw him play.

DjKyRo
04-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Even if the guy's a terrible shooter, it's such a huge help to have a guy as the tallest on the court. Defensive rebounding is huge, as denying a team many second chances is a big help to the game overall. Similarly, it's good to have a guy you can just give the ball to and know he'll put it in the basket. As we saw with Aldrich, he's got enough height (even being under 7') that if he's within a few feet of the rim he'll just slam it home, and it earned their team 23 points. A dual threat like that, a solid outside game plus a dude who can pound it away inside is a big reason why Kansas won that match.

Mr. Burgundy
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Please keep in mind, that Aldrich from Kansas is a lottery pick when he choses to turn pro. We do NOT face many really tall guys that dominate at our level. Oakland has the stud, but they recruit out of a different area than we do. We may get one of the really tall kids out ot MN in the 2010 class. They are all projects, and U of M won't take more than one of them....but next year we will have two freshman on the team that are 6'9....and that is pretty solid height.

Herd
04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
The DI player transfer list is littered with 7 footers who don't have it. Don't pickup any 7 footer, you need to go for quality.

WYOBISONMAN
04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. Posted that then went to change baby's diaper and thought about it. I did sound like a jerk.

What I should have said is that every team is after that 7 footer that can actually play. At our level, we may get a 7 footer but he's going to be a project guy (see Mark Engen). While Engen is actually somewhat coordinated, his best offensive weapon is the 3 point shot. I think Mooreman was a pretty good player for you guys. Flowers (isn't he 6-9?) will have a good year next year. He impressed me during the minutes I say him play.

No problem. I'll buy you a beer at the next Jack/Bison football game. :)

IzzyFlexion
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
No problem. I'll buy you a beer at the next Jack/Bison football game. :)

Note to self.....
try to offend Wyo every week or so until the beginning of the football season then subsequently apologize and rack up enough free beers to catch a sweet buzz the next time I'm in town for a game.:)

BlueBisonRock
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Note to self.....
try to offend Wyo every week or so until the beginning of the football season then subsequently apologize and rack up enough free beers to catch a sweet buzz the next time I'm in town for a game.:)

LMAO. :rofl: Izzy, you seem to find the angle with every opportunity. :bow: :bow:

Hope to meet you at tailgating and share a brew with you! :cheers:

DjKyRo
04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Please keep in mind, that Aldrich from Kansas is a lottery pick when he choses to turn pro. We do NOT face many really tall guys that dominate at our level.

True point. At the same time, an inside game would definitely improve our game, but then that's kind of an obvious statement. Not to hate on Moormann, but averaging more than 5 PPG would definitely give us a bigger inside presence.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
LMAO. :rofl: Izzy, you seem to find the angle with every opportunity. :bow: :bow:

Hope to meet you at tailgating and share a brew with you! :cheers:

Right back atcha, Sir Rock. If I can get the damn stars to align, I might just make it up there this coming season.
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/alcool/alcool_27.gif

stevdock
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
If you look at all the mid major schools, how many are lucky enough to come across a big guy that isn't just a BIG GUY?? I wish there more to go around because it would have been nice this last season to have one more available off the bench to help out in the post.

I really thought Moorman did a great job in the role he was given. We had 4 other scorers in the starting lineup, he's just not gonna get the ball often. His job was to defend the paint and grab a few boards. With that role, and it's a role I don't see changing under Philips, it's gonna be hard to get anyone to come in here with that size.

Kemo
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
General rule of thumb for mid majors: if you get a 7'0" player it's because he is no good! The fact is if a player is that tall and has any athletic ability what-so-ever, a major DI will throw them a scholarship based on potential alone. Even decent 6'10" kids who can touch their finger to their nose are tough to get at this level, but that doesn't mean the smaller DI schools don't have options for the 4/5 position that will help them compete against the bigger schools.

The key for us smaller schools is to recruit athlete's with width rather than height for our posts. Finding natural post players who may only be "6'7"-6'9" but have a large frame with room to add muscle can help neutralize their lack of height compared to a 7'0". Comparing players with similar athletic ability and basketball skills, I figure for every inch of height a player gives up when guarding the opposing team's post player, the shorter defender needs to be 10 lbs heavier (i.e. 6'8", 250 = 6'11", 220). With this extra bulk and weight (taking into account the player knows how to use it), even if the short player can't block the taller one consistently, the short player can the opposition's post off the block and force him to take longer, more difficult shots, not to mention keep the taller player off his back when rebounding.

NDSU is currently recruiting Marshall Bjorklund (6'7"/6'8"ish), a pure post player in this mold who I think will be a darn good player regardless of whether he ends up at a major or mid level DI school. This kid just seems to want it more than any other player on the court, and he'll be good where ever he goes, but could be great depending on how his game develops at the college level.

Civil06
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
The key for us smaller schools is to recruit athlete's with width rather than height for our posts. Finding natural post players who may only be "6'7"-6'9" but have a large frame with room to add muscle can help neutralize their lack of height compared to a 7'0". Comparing players with similar athletic ability and basketball skills, I figure for every inch of height a player gives up when guarding the opposing team's post player, the shorter defender needs to be 10 lbs heavier (i.e. 6'8", 250 = 6'11", 220). With this extra bulk and weight (taking into account the player knows how to use it), even if the short player can't block the taller one consistently, the short player can the opposition's post off the block and force him to take longer, more difficult shots, not to mention keep the taller player off his back when rebounding.

Ahhh, the Charles Barkley effect.:nod:

Kemo
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Ahhh, the Charles Barkley effect.:nod:
Charles is the classic example of having a big frame and knowing how to use it, for Barkley is only 6'5" (granted 300 lbs) and not only played power forward in the NBA, but dominate!

However, i usually don't use Barkley as an example for mid major big man based on the fact he was such an anomaly that big schools knew he was going to be awesome despite his height (hence him going to Auburn). I like to look at George Mason's Jai Lewis http://gomason.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lewis_jai00.html as a better example.

ndsubison1
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
But I want the next Kenny George 7'7 phenom at UNC-Asheville... although his careers is over after having his foot amputated... he could barely move but you could play a one man zone with him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLZP-rlznE

bisonhusker
04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I can't wait for Marshall Bjorkland to wear the Green and Gold!!! I hope he signs with us.

DjKyRo
04-27-2009, 11:40 PM
yeah man, Bjorkland's a player. A 6'8 dude who isn't afraid to get in someone's face at a mid-major level will be a huge land for us.