PDA

View Full Version : Daily spring practice report

westnodak93bison
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Can some of you locals/insiders give us a brief practice update?

met1990
04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Here's some good news:

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

aces1180
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Here's some good news:

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Sweet! I'm going to bid on the Lynx tickets!

SDbison
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Hope this item has ACDC and Thunderstruck written on it!

Here is a list of silent auction items:
1. ACDC – Autographed NDSU Football signed by all members of ACDC

bison mom
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that whoever is supposed to be covering Bison football this Spring is dropping the ball? As far as I know we are well into spring ball but there isn't any coverage on TV, newspaper, or blogs?

With all the passion of bison football I would bet that there would be some media-type that could take care of this.

99Bison
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that whoever is supposed to be covering Bison football this Spring is dropping the ball? As far as I know we are well into spring ball but there isn't any coverage on TV, newspaper, or blogs?

With all the passion of bison football I would bet that there would be some media-type that could take care of this.

Agree'd, this is what newspapers and blogs are for...

westnodak93bison
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Exactly what do the local sports media guys do all day? It's not like they have dozens of stories coming out daily.

GradBison
04-23-2009, 01:28 PM
It's really been disappointing. The only news we got about Spring ball was from Mr. Burgendy, hope he posts an update!

NDSUstudent
04-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Kind of hard for Kolpack to cover a baseball game and spring practice at the same time. This is what happens when a newspaper has to cut staff, if you want better coverage I would get a Fargo Forum subscription if you don't have one.

bisonhusker
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I would just think that "if I was in the business" it would be a blast to be involved at practices, getting interviews....etc. We get NOTHING.

Hallstrom does a nice job on the blogs, as does Kolpack, but I expect a daily report. Should be simple.

NDSUstudent
04-23-2009, 06:04 PM
I know this will sound crazy to some here, but losing McFeely hurt the sports section. Having him around to cover major events and golf gave other reporters the ability to cover things like spring practice.

AEBison1998
04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
With NDSU taking more of the media in house, maybe they can come in and fill the void. They stand the most to gain. Employ a student or two each semester to keep this up...It would be great for them too.

I too am really needing some info here.

ndsubison1
04-23-2009, 07:14 PM
With NDSU taking more of the media in house, maybe they can come in and fill the void. They stand the most to gain. Employ a student or two each semester to keep this up...It would be great for them too.

I too am really needing some info here.

I'm majoring in broadcasting/journalism... count me in :)

GradBison
04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm majoring in broadcasting/journalism... count me in :)

Good, get your butt out to the practice field!

OldBison
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I would just think that "if I was in the business" it would be a blast to be involved at practices, getting interviews....etc. We get NOTHING.

Hallstrom does a nice job on the blogs, as does Kolpack, but I expect a daily report. Should be simple.

Well, maybe Bisonville should go big time?

Several students on here who are mass com/journalism majors have indicated they would like to be involved to fill the void created by a struggling Forum.

On the boards for many FBS/IA schools they have people writing stories and doing interviews which are posted on the website and bloggers like us get to read and comment. A nearby example is the GopherLady on the GopherHole.

I don't know if these people get paid or not, it wouldn't be too hard to find out, but perhaps this site could become a subscription service and a small fee charged that could used to pay someone for providing the information we all crave.

Just a thought.

SlickVic
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
I stopped by yesterday for a sec seen some really sweet plays the offense was working on...that units in good hands with coach V...the skill we will feature on the field this year on the offensive side is insane...3 wide sets with warren sid and jordan "showtime" shultenover...pat pachall in the back field...I don't see how any defenses can stop that I really don't after seeing some of the sets we all be coming with and im guesing the few formations and plays I seen were just basic stuff...theres no reason why this offense can put up points this year with the weapons we have

NDSUFan_Sav
04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I stopped by yesterday for a sec seen some really sweet plays the offense was working on...that units in good hands with coach V...the skill we will feature on the field this year on the offensive side is insane...3 wide sets with warren sid and jordan "showtime" shultenover...pat pachall in the back field...I don't see how any defenses can stop that I really don't after seeing some of the sets we all be coming with and im guesing the few formations and plays I seen were just basic stuff...theres no reason why this offense can put up points this year with the weapons we have

Was going to start a thread like this....thanks for starting this.

I joined slick in going over and watching the practice, I'm liking the attitude from the Def Cord and Linebacker coach....they get that Defense just jacked and keep asking who's the leader out there and show it to me that you're a leader.....

With a whole new offense that will be revolved around Mertens and what we have to work with. They were running more screen passes and short passes that I was asking for all last year. Shorter passes imo have a higher % of completion and will get the defense up on the line more stopping runs and short passes the deep pass will open up.

Another thing I saw I don't remember seeing was SHOTGUN...yes they ran some shotgun. I did see some miscues with the offense line a few plays but nothing that bad to worry about...it was because our defense of line got good jumps and pushes on them to take control of the line.

I noticed one bad pass by Mertens that would of been close to a INT in a actual game. Another thing I noticed was Mertens would check down and dump a short pass, would take off running, and would always move his eyes from WR to WR instead of keeping his eye on one guy hope he can do that in game situations.

So with what I saw yesterday I saw a more motivated team, coaches pushing everyone, seniors from last year out there helping with practice. I have a feeling things will be different this coming year with different plays offensively where as last year I was able to pick their plays from the stands.

Any other questions pm me or just ask on here.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Several students on here who are mass com/journalism majors have indicated they would like to be involved to fill the void created by a struggling Forum.

On the boards for many FBS/IA schools they have people writing stories and doing interviews which are posted on the website and bloggers like us get to read and comment. A nearby example is the GopherLady on the GopherHole.

I don't know if these people get paid or not, it wouldn't be too hard to find out, but perhaps this site could become a subscription service and a small fee charged that could used to pay someone for providing the information we all crave.

Just a thought.

regardless of pay or not...it would be something worth putting on a resume

mebisonII
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the updates, guys, glad to hear that you came back with hope for the new year!

duluthbison
04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Forgive me if this has already been covered but what is the back up QB situation looking like? Is Mertens the only one we have?

NDSUstudent
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Just a thought.

If somebody wanted to start something up I could help out, definitely sounds like a good idea.

AEBison1998
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Great comments on practise today. Thanks for the insight.

I love the optimism too. I have said this before, but I truely believe, we will be better next year than we were this year if you look across the board. Not a lot better, but a little better. But it won't take much. There were a lot of games that we lost right at the very end.

YSU: If we aren't at our third string tailbacks, and SS and MLB we win this game. We scored enough points, we just couldn't stop the run.
SDSU: If we could have stopped the passes on the last drive and two point conversion, we win this game.
Western IL: If we don't get a punt blocked I think we win this game.
Wyo: We couldn't stop the run in the second half and we dropped lots of passes. We were the better team there and should have won that game.

Yes a better kicker and QB would have helped in each of those games, but there were other areas that can could have played better and we could have won with. Playcalling is another area that I believe will be better.

Injuries are the unknown every year, but aside from some killer injuries...3 losses next year and a playoff birth.

Bring on the competition!!!!

I'm hoping to stop by practise on Sat. If so, I'll try to post what I see.

CaBisonFan
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM

Was it your basic power West Coast...or were they doing some other stuff? Any hints of the spread, or option?

Thanks SlickVic. I appreciate your support & attitude here...very much. :nod:

56BISON73
04-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Was going to start a thread like this....thanks for starting this.

I joined slick in going over and watching the practice, I'm liking the attitude from the Def Cord and Linebacker coach....they get that Defense just jacked and keep asking who's the leader out there and show it to me that you're a leader.....

With a whole new offense that will be revolved around Mertens and what we have to work with. They were running more screen passes and short passes that I was asking for all last year. Shorter passes imo have a higher % of completion and will get the defense up on the line more stopping runs and short passes the deep pass will open up.

Another thing I saw I don't remember seeing was SHOTGUN...yes they ran some shotgun. I did see some miscues with the offense line a few plays but nothing that bad to worry about...it was because our defense of line got good jumps and pushes on them to take control of the line.

I noticed one bad pass by Mertens that would of been close to a INT in a actual game. Another thing I noticed was Mertens would check down and dump a short pass, would take off running, and would always move his eyes from WR to WR instead of keeping his eye on one guy hope he can do that in game situations.

So with what I saw yesterday I saw a more motivated team, coaches pushing everyone, seniors from last year out there helping with practice. I have a feeling things will be different this coming year with different plays offensively where as last year I was able to pick their plays from the stands.

Any other questions pm me or just ask on here.

Sav
You did well with your report. You hit on alot of good points. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Was it your basic power West Coast...or were they doing some other stuff? Any hints of the spread, or option?

Thanks SlickVic. I appreciate your support & attitude here...very much. :nod:

no option...lot of west coast offense tho...mertens was rolling out a lot more and if he saw room would run if he saw a guy open short he'd dump it off to him.....he was scanning the field way better....i'll be honest I wasn't looking forward to football until watching practice.

99Bison
04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
FYI, this type of thing has been on the Bison Illustrated we should do list for a long while. So what's keeping us from it... Currently, the costs, so how many people do you all think would be willing to pay for something like daily updates during spring practice, etc?

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 01:42 AM
I believe we'll do better....people can bash all we want what we did last year...its in the past lets move on.

few things you have to take into mind:

1. we were in a new conf...how did we do our 1st time playing poly/davis it takes time to get use to how teams play we were just 10-1 back to back years people wanted a 10-1 9-2 at worst 8-3 season going to be hard to find that in a new conf that isn't easy to begin with.

2. we got new coaches...i enjoyed watching the def. cord and linebackers coach both brought great attitude and pushed everyone so they'd give 110% they would say things they were doing well and things they needed to work on which is what coaches need to do.

3. Mertens is getting reps with all strings on offense so he's getting use to every type of player we have and its helping decision making and gets used to them a lot more.

4. What other QB do we have to take over??? so there you have it he's our best option/only option.....

please don't talk about how we need to recruit better about this we all know that and its been said enough.....all the negative talk isn't doing a damn thing...because i'm sure its not helping how you feel and not helping on the board....keep it to yourselves or just wait to at least the season starts.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 01:45 AM
FYI, this type of thing has been on the Bison Illustrated we should do list for a long while. So what's keeping us from it... Currently, the costs, so how many people do you all think would be willing to pay for something like daily updates during spring practice, etc?

why do you have to pay??? volunteer work...i had no problem going there and watching them and giving my view on it.

not sure if others respect my points and how i view it or not....but I'm sure i'll check out a few more within the next few weeks.

whats nice to see is they've only had a few practices already and they're working hard and coaches are really getting them going.

TransAmBison
04-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I've talked to Sav numerous times tailgating. I respect his opinion and have a little brighter outlook because of his observations. Thanks Sav, I needed it! I hope you are right. Go Bison!

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Forgive me if this has already been covered but what is the back up QB situation looking like? Is Mertens the only one we have?

yes for now...got a freshmen coming in and depends on what happens with mohler or a late transfer could be mertens and if injury might have to go to the freshmen.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 01:49 AM
I've talked to Sav numerous times tailgating. I respect his opinion and have a little brighter outlook because of his observations. Thanks Sav, I needed it! I hope you are right. Go Bison!

thanks trans, you can ask numerous people I wasn't wanting football this fall i wanted just to tailgate and move on....and get to basketball, but if they do what they did in practice we could be a 7-4 or 8-3 team....if things go our way this time around 9-2 is a strech big stretch but its possible....5-6 and 6-5 are also possible....but i hope what i witnessed is right.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Sav
You did well with your report. You hit on alot of good points. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

thanks PL.....I'll probably check them out next week sometime if I find I have some free time so hopefully I can keep getting updates for people that aren't around here or people that are busy.

AEBison1998
04-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Three receiver sets with Scholtenover, Holloway, and Haynes. If you add in Veldman that is 6'1", 6'3", 6'3", and 6'7". And the 6'1" guy was a high school high jumper. Just find the shortest corner and keep lofting it up.

(Plus we have 6'2, 6'2" and 6'4" coming this fall.)

aces1180
04-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Three receiver sets with Scholtenover, Holloway, and Haynes. If you add in Veldman that is 6'1", 6'3", 6'3", and 6'7". And the 6'1" guy was a high school high jumper. Just find the shortest corner and keep lofting it up.

But do we have the QB that can get the ball to them consistently and on target?

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 02:34 AM

they all looked good...catching and bringing in the pass well.

After last season it seems like they came out there with nothing to lose and a better attitude and causing them to look a lot better.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 02:43 AM
But do we have the QB that can get the ball to them consistently and on target?

read my updates Aces....i noticed 1 bad ball throw...smarter decisions, accuracy was better, didn't see 40 yard passes tho saw good 20-30 yard passes tho...so hopefully the small dump passes and such opens up the field for 25-35 yd passes

JacksFan06
04-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one ever accused Merten's of being a bad practice QB. Can he perform on game day and in the clutch will be the question. During the 10-1 season Walker made a ton of plays to win close games and that's what teams need out of their QB.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 03:05 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one ever accused Merten's of being a bad practice QB. Can he perform on game day and in the clutch will be the question. During the 10-1 season Walker made a ton of plays to win close games and that's what teams need out of their QB.

i agree there...which we'll have to wait and see that's the one thing you can't tell with practice is game day situations and how they respond.

onbison09
04-24-2009, 03:13 AM
I hope that the Marker game was a springboard for Nick. It seems to me he did better running with the ball. Great to see some new sets, even some gun. Also I love the new coaches and the guys having to prove themselves.

AEBison1998
04-24-2009, 03:18 AM
I thought nick threw a good 10 yard ball and 40 yard ball it was the 20-30 yard ball that he needs to develop. The one where he puts it over the linebacker and in front of the safety. A lot of the interceptions were those types of passes. They were floated and over the receiver and right to the safety. If he can develop that pass consistently, that will be a big help.

SlickVic
04-24-2009, 03:34 AM

ya seeing them at field level that unit is going to hurt teams...I don't see how any secondary in the fcs can match up with our wide outs I really don't...defenses are will be forced to respect our recievers and that all do nothing but open up my main man pat pachall for some serious slicing and dicing...if offense opens up this year and under coach V it will we all be lighting up some score boards fo sho and im just jacked to see that

BisonNeil
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
ya seeing them at field level that unit is going to hurt teams...I don't see how any secondary in the fcs can match up with our wide outs I really don't...defenses are will be forced to respect our recievers and that all do nothing but open up my main man pat pachall for some serious slicing and dicing...if offense opens up this year and under coach V it will we all be lighting up some score boards fo sho and im just jacked to see that

If what you say is true than our DBs should be getting good reps going against the best FCS receivers. They should be basically shut down corners playing for the Bison :)

aces1180
04-24-2009, 01:53 PM
read my updates Aces....i noticed 1 bad ball throw...smarter decisions, accuracy was better, didn't see 40 yard passes tho saw good 20-30 yard passes tho...so hopefully the small dump passes and such opens up the field for 25-35 yd passes

Last year Merten's was awesome in practice...Then we all know what happened when he was in a game situation...He is going to have to show a lot of improvement for me to get back on his bandwagon.

A1pigskin
04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Interesting posts. On the radio Bohl is saying the team needs a lot of work. Maybe Bohl is downplaying the situation.

I think Merten's will be better this year. If not, hmmm, not many choices after him with Mohler out.

SDbison
04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Last year Merten's was awesome in practice...Then we all know what happened when he was in a game situation...He is going to have to show a lot of improvement for me to get back on his bandwagon.
I completely agree......

bisonmike2
04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Interesting posts. On the radio Bohl is saying the team needs a lot of work. Maybe Bohl is downplaying the situation.

I think Merten's will be better this year. If not, hmmm, not many choices after him with Mohler out.

Or he's hedging expectations. I last year at this time he was calling the team his most talented ever while at NDSU. That may have been true but look how that turned out.

SDbison
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Or he's hedging expectations. I last year at this time he was calling the team his most talented ever while at NDSU. That may have been true but look how that turned out.
Based on Bohls latest comment maybe we should be hopeful for a 2-9 season?:(

NDSUFan_Sav
04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Based on Bohls latest comment maybe we should be hopeful for a 2-9 season?:(

11-0 season here we come!!!!! :D

I know mertens was said to have good practices last year...but if they run these plays in games stuff should work I was always saying how we needed to keep making 5-10 yard pass plays and not 15-25 yard passes.

A1pigskin
04-24-2009, 05:41 PM

I can't argue with this. Maybe last years team was always hung over.

SDbison
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
11-0 season here we come!!!!! :D

I know mertens was said to have good practices last year...but if they run these plays in games stuff should work I was always saying how we needed to keep making 5-10 yard pass plays and not 15-25 yard passes.
Sav how soon you forget......some of NDSU's biggest problems in the past is defenders can stay close to the line of scrimmage because of all the runs and short passes. The Bison have to start being able to pass downfield for 15 to 25 yard gains once every 10 plays(and actually complete the passes). Have to keep the defense honest. :banghead:

AEBison1998
04-24-2009, 05:47 PM
That is absolutely true. But I also think that if our big recievers can prove they can break a CB tackle, it will force defenses to deploy safeties outside of the tackle's. Which can open up some more running lanes. We weren't effective in that last year. There were 8 guys in the box a lot of the time.

Some of both will still help.

NDSUstudent
04-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Anyone going to the scrimmage tomorrow?

Kolpack said on WDAY radio that he will have a story about the recievers tomorrow so it looks like the coverage will finally start to pick up.

stevdock
04-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Kolpack said on WDAY radio that he will have a story about the recievers tomorrow so it looks like the coverage will finally start to pick up.

What time is it at?

bisonhusker
04-24-2009, 08:10 PM
10:45 is what I heard. Maybe won't quite start at that time.

SlickVic
04-24-2009, 08:39 PM

depends on what time it is an what the weathers looking like...those scrimmages are usually pretty sweet...kolpacks doing a special on shultenover for the forum I heard that as well...from what I seen showtime looks like the leader this team needs

A1pigskin
04-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I may go.:) :)

rutlandbison
04-25-2009, 02:17 AM
depends on what time it is an what the weathers looking like...those scrimmages are usually pretty sweet...kolpacks doing a special on shultenover for the forum I heard that as well...from what I seen showtime looks like the leader this team needs
Well he's going to have to get outa class because we have a coaching class tomorrow from 8-noon. Him, Buckman, Rossi, and Kevin Jackson are all in it.

SlickVic
04-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Well he's going to have to get outa class because we have a coaching class tomorrow from 8-noon. Him, Buckman, Rossi, and Kevin Jackson are all in it.

im sure they are all excused lol...not to brag or anything but when I had that class I got an A from professor stephen A. lockaway...who teaches the footbball coaching class this year rut?

rutlandbison
04-25-2009, 03:08 AM
im sure they are all excused lol...not to brag or anything but when I had that class I got an A from professor stephen A. lockaway...who teaches the footbball coaching class this year rut?
It's successful coaching and bucky is teeaching it.

Mr. Burgundy
04-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Quick update from today. Nick was solid. Nothing deep. Alot over the middle, alot on the run. Looked solid not spectacular. TD pass to Veldman (my favorite player on offense). Kid is HUGE.
The defense is so far ahead of the offense. They are all over the place. MONSTER hit by Lemon broke the collarbone of Gary Williams. Hope he recovers nicely. The defense starts up front...they are big, strong, fast, and all over the place. Multiple sacks (two hand touch sacks), they are significantly better than the o line right now. Not sure if that will change or not, but they are all over the place. #91 is Greg Reid. Playing Nose Tackle. Big Kid. We have several ends that were making plays. Is Hagen one of them? I think so, but I am not sure.
Overall, great day. They blocked a FG and took it to the house to end practice. The defensive coaches are just awesome. They want EVERY loose ball in their hands. I loved the attitude, they want to score.
DJ McNortan took a punt 80 yards and Blincoe had about a 40 yard TD run. I wish I had a roster. That is all for now.

tjbison
04-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Quick update from today. Nick was solid. Nothing deep. Alot over the middle, alot on the run. Looked solid not spectacular. TD pass to Veldman (my favorite player on offense). Kid is HUGE.
The defense is so far ahead of the offense. They are all over the place. MONSTER hit by Lemon broke the collarbone of Gary Williams. Hope he recovers nicely. The defense starts up front...they are big, strong, fast, and all over the place. Multiple sacks (two hand touch sacks), they are significantly better than the o line right now. Not sure if that will change or not, but they are all over the place. #91 is Greg Reid. Playing Nose Tackle. Big Kid. We have several ends that were making plays. Is Hagen one of them? I think so, but I am not sure.
Overall, great day. They blocked a FG and took it to the house to end practice. The defensive coaches are just awesome. They want EVERY loose ball in their hands. I loved the attitude, they want to score.
DJ McNortan took a punt 80 yards and Blincoe had about a 40 yard TD run. I wish I had a roster. That is all for now.

Thanks alot, this great for those of us who can't get out and watch, i'm curious how Reid is doing, he is one of the players I think will be a impact kid, or do you see anything different, how is Haynes looking?

again thanks for the updates:nod:

17>1
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I stopped by for about 15 minutes or so. Saw Blinc's run. Pretty nice. I think Jackson, #31 FS, took a real bad angle on that play, yet was still able to catch Blinc at the goal line. He's got some learning to do but he's got some sick speed. Voight had a couple of nice 5 or 6 yard runs up the middle, and DJ had one as well. #18 under center the whole time I was there. His would be back up was kickin' it in street clothes on the sideline. Didn't really see to much throwing. #24 made a nice slant catch with his hands, Victor Shuring maybe ??? Saw Calhoun up close, tall kid. Saw an extra point go in, right down the middle, by Bibeua I think...pretty sure it was #27. Breske was yelling alot, tell Gratz to get em huddled up during a timeout.

SlickVic
04-25-2009, 07:12 PM
wasn't impressed at all with the offense...same old same...if they think that stone age stuff is going to cut it the whole staff might as well pack there bags...no excuse for that unit not to score 4 or 5 touchdowns a game with some creative play calling...im depressed SD send me some pills please

AEBison1998
04-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I was interested in the position battles so I was looking who was the #1 and #2 team guys. (I don't know who is injured however.)

CB- Colvin and Bowman then Daniel Evans and Banks. Courtney Mitchel was on the sidlines on crutches and a knee brace. I heard him say that it wasn't an ACL but I didn't hear what it was.

LB-Evans, Henry, Kittleson then Anderson, Beson, and I think it was Scypanski
I was very curious who would win the spots here. I wonder if it will change before the first game.

DE- Boyer and Stocynski then Hagen and Hines. Stocynsi and Hagen looked good to me (Boyer always has). I think those two guys have both put on some solid weight from the fall. They looked tough out there. I thought they looked lean last year. This could get interesting next fall when the new DE's come in from H.S. Very interesting.

DT- Fairbain and Gratzek then Philips and Yuen. They dominated the OL. Reid was playing DT. The roster has him at 263. I think he can easily get past 280 without being a big slow guy. I wondered if that would happen. Yuen looked like he might have gotten in better shape than last year. He looked quicker and leaner....but he is still huge.

SS-Cyrus Lemon was pretty much the only guy playing so Belmont must still be healing up. Once in a while Joel Helbling would come in and a coach would have to tell him where to line up, so I don't think it is where he normally plays but was just giving Cyrus a rest when needed. He did make a nice tackle for loss on a screen play. The coaches had a good time over that one.

FS-I couldn't tell who was the #1 guy there. I think it might be Jackson, but Osborne seemed to have just as many snaps with the first team. That might be a pretty good position battle right now.

RB-PP, DJ, Voit, Pete, Josh That is a talented group. DJ had a great punt return, Voit was running well up the middle (nice cuts) and Pete had that long run. Josh had one where he carried a pile for 5 yards. P^2 was mostly getting squished in the backfield, but I don't put that on him. The OL getting owned by the D-Line right now. But I think that is normal at this stage.

WR- Holloway and Scholtenover (but I got there about when Williams was hurt so I 'm not sure where he fits in.) then Haynes and Schurring. I called Schurring out as my surprise sleeper last year. There are of course more WR's coming in next fall, but I still say this guy may just find his way to the field. He has good hands. He is just small. (he and Banks started shoving each other at one point...that made me smile) The catch and run by Williams was a nice un until he got pasted. It was a nice "west coast" kind of play. Haynes dropped a nice 10 yard pass. It was a bullet that hit him right in the chest. He had at least one other catch though that I saw. He dwarfs the CB's.

TE-Veldman is really really tall. He made a nice catch in the end zone.

OL- I couldn't see this as well. But Richards was the #1 center and Lund was #2. George Danikowicz was playing LG I believe so that isn't a misprint from the roster. He was moved to the OL from DT.

QB- He tosses a nice spiral. The DL was in his face a lot. No one else took any snaps that I saw.

All in all, I thought it was really fun to see. Some of these young guys are stepping up. That is the beauty of college sports.

TransAmBison
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
From what you guys are saying the o-line is making me nervous. How much improvement can we really expect? The were not that good last year. Any thoughts?

A1pigskin
04-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I was not able to attend. I really wanted to go but had to take care of baby stuff. On the radio Bohl said he was happy with the offense making touchdowns when they were near the end zone. There is still a lot of work.

twowheels
04-26-2009, 02:23 AM
one of the reasons the o-line may be behind, they have moved guys around. Buckman is now playing left guard, Arnte is playing left tackle, Ebel is now at right tackle and than you add in Richards playing center for the first time it will take some getting used to the new alinement. Foster is the only guy at the spot he played last year. Give them some time you have 3 seniors, a junior and Richards THEY WILL WORK IT OUT AND BE ALRIGHT.

NDSU1980
04-26-2009, 04:00 AM
I saw the WDAY high lights on the scrimage tonight at 10. They showed Mertens throwing an interception. Anyone think the fall season will be any different? I know better.

56BISON73
04-26-2009, 04:03 AM
From what you guys are saying the o-line is making me nervous. How much improvement can we really expect? The were not that good last year. Any thoughts?

I wouldnt worry too much right now. The o-line as a rule takes much longer to gel than the other positions. The D is always way ahead of the O at this juncture. It will be that way going in to the fall also but the gap will close.

BlueBisonRock
04-26-2009, 04:35 AM
I saw the WDAY high lights on the scrimage tonight at 10. They showed Mertens throwing an interception. Anyone think the fall season will be any different? I know better.

I am real happy to see this note of optimism coming from you after the crap that you had to deal with this past year. [ok, sarcasm off]

Call it glass half full, bison colored glasses, or what ever term that needs to be inserted.... I bought my season tickets, I intend to be at every home game and some of the away games, and I do not intend to let a downer internet board take away from my enjoyment or support for this next football season.

I don't care if the Bison are 11-0 or 0-11 (well I do, BUT!): Gol darn it (for Tony's benefit) I intend to hope for the best. Yes, I will piss and moan in the stands if the games do not go well, but I fully intend to enjoy this coming season.

Since I have 6 on you, I will share that I have had success in my life and career by expecting the best rather than looking for the worst. Crappy expectations lead to crappy results!

Go Bison! I am with you through thick and thin!

For those that really gotta piss and moan about each and every part of the Bison, Gotta Earn It is looking for recruits on the UNI board. Give this douche's fan club a try!

NDSUstudent
04-26-2009, 05:04 AM

No they didn't, that said if the O-line doesn't improve it won't matter who is at QB.

BadlandsBison
04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
What does the starting 5 look like for the o-line right now, as in who is going to be the starting 5 for the spring game?

twowheels
04-28-2009, 01:38 AM
LT-Arent
LG-Buckman
C- Richards
RG-Foster
RT-Ebel

sambini
04-28-2009, 01:49 AM
I have faith in Coach Fuchs he will get those guys going+++

DjKyRo
04-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Hey, they say the best offense is a good defense!

...or something to that effect, anyway.

BadlandsBison
04-28-2009, 01:54 AM
LT-Arent
LG-Buckman
C- Richards
RG-Foster
RT-Ebel

Buckman on the inside now huh? I like that that move, great drive blocker

imabison
04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
LT-Arent
LG-Buckman
C- Richards
RG-Foster
RT-Ebel
But it is C-Richard

No s on this name as I have had my butt kicked for saying many times :)

cvbison1
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
anyone see that new juco CB Gatlin or whatever?? i havn't heard anything about him

OldBison
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
anyone see that new juco CB Gatlin or whatever?? i havn't heard anything about him

He's still at Wahpeton Science, not enrolled here yet, not until this fall.

stevdock
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
LT-Arent
LG-Buckman
C- Richards
RG-Foster
RT-Ebel

I know that this squad had a rough year last year between injuries and performance. Couple that with these guys moving all over the place, and this concerns me a bit. I believe the only guy keeping his spot is Arndt. While the rest played, few played at these new positions.

OldBison
04-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I know that this squad had a rough year last year between injuries and performance. Couple that with these guys moving all over the place, and this concerns me a bit. I believe the only guy keeping his spot is Arndt. While the rest played, few played at these new positions.

Foster was the RG last year.

ndsubison1
04-29-2009, 06:21 PM

sometimes that's what it takes though, a little adjustment... hopefully it works, but we'll see

westnodak93bison
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
I checked the roster and no Danny Offerman the DT. What happened to him?

westnodak93bison
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
How about that transfer from WY Kuhtz? Is he in our spring camp?

Scooter1
04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
LT-Arndt
LG-Buckman
C- Richard
RG-Foster
RT-Ebel

This is going to be a good offensive line. I have little doubt that these guys will be ready to go by the first game. Going against Gratzek and Fairbairn all the time will make any team that is moving guys around look bad.

westnodak93bison
04-29-2009, 07:56 PM
With Buckman moving to LG does that help or hinder his status in the 2010 draft? I've seen several websites, including the one below, projecting him to be drafted as an OT.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_OT

DjKyRo
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
So this might sound random, but for the upcoming Spring game on the 10th, who do we play? Is it just offense vs. defense or do we have an opponent lined up?

cvbison1
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
So this might sound random, but for the upcoming Spring game on the 10th, who do we play? Is it just offense vs. defense or do we have an opponent lined up?

offense vs. defense

Kermit
04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
With Buckman moving to LG does that help or hinder his status in the 2010 draft? I've seen several websites, including the one below, projecting him to be drafted as an OT.

I think it could help. IMHO, his strength is drive blocking and his weakness is pass protection, especially against a speed rush. He might be better suited to play guard in the NFL.

westnodak93bison
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Seriously, if Buckman has a weakness pass protecting how could he even crack the top 100 OT 2010 draft prospects?

Kermit
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Seriously, if Buckman has a weakness pass protecting how could he even crack the top 100 OT 2010 draft prospects?

I meant "relative weakness" my friend. He is a big, physical beast and his run blocking is terrific.

ndsubison1
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM

#1 Offense/#2 Defense vs. #1 Defense/#2 Offense

That's usually how it is, or how the coaches see fit...

JacksFan06
04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I think it could help. IMHO, his strength is drive blocking and his weakness is pass protection, especially against a speed rush. He might be better suited to play guard in the NFL.

He might have been moved inside to help improve his draft chances. I know a couple years ago SDSU lineman Mitch Erickson started 3 years at LT and than for his senior year he moved inside to guard. The only reason I could think of was that because scouts let him and stig know that if wants a chance at the next level it would be at guard.

Sure coaches want to do what's best for the team, but they also need to keep the player and their personal goals in mind. Kind of like a college b-ball coach helping an underclassmen to decide if they should enter the draft or not.

BisonNeil
04-30-2009, 12:29 AM
I checked the roster and no Danny Offerman the DT. What happened to him?

Offerman is still not academically eligible. The reasons why Reid and Offerman couldn't be on the team last year are different, which is why Reid is practicing this year and Offerman is not. Danny is lifting and working out, and he is making progress toward academic eligibility and all signs are that after this semester he will be good to go for summer workouts and fall camp.

BisonNeil
04-30-2009, 12:36 AM
How about that transfer from WY Kuhtz? Is he in our spring camp?

Kuhtz is in camp. Personally, I think he has a long way to go but I say that only because he played QB and CB in HS and has never played LB, a position that is a lot more physical than what he is used to.

I'm not saying he can't contribute, I just think his learning curve is fairly steep. My guess is the existing underclassman LBs will occupy all the two deep spots after spring camp. Kittelson and Anderson on one side, Evans and Sczepanski on the other.

Kuhtz is likely to be on special teams, not that this team needs help or anything, but my guess is he will be a significant contributor on that squad.

BisonNeil
04-30-2009, 12:38 AM

When I saw the mid rounds many of the talking heads said that so and so OL was a good pick because they played multiple spots on the line and that is the kind of guy many NFL teams are looking for, guys who can line up at OG or OT. So, I think it helps, a lot.

Mr. Burgundy
04-30-2009, 12:39 AM
I just put myself through agony and watched the 6 minute you tube clip fromt he signature of the above poster. 2 years ago game (football) in Brookings. How did they not win by 30? We made about 15 horrible plays/decisions/turnovers...and had a ton of injuries. I still cannot believe their punt returner returned that punt on his own 5 yard line. I can't wait to get back to Brookings this year. Fun place to watch a game...and the rivalry is only getting better. I met some of their players after a hoops game, alot of good guys. Alot of respect for both programs.

roadwarrior
04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Was there practice today in the rain? Or did they go inside?

NDSUstudent
04-30-2009, 01:48 AM

They were outside, field looks pretty good, add about 24,000 seats around it and we're set(hey I can dream)

imabison
04-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Hallstrom commented that weather like this could have damage the grass field so bad they probably would have had to cancel.

Today they practiced, and Coach Bohl thank NDSU for the investment, and facility.

KilldeerBison
04-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Anyone know if there is a Saturday practice? If so, what time?

NDSUFan_Sav
04-30-2009, 05:17 AM

It was outside, I stopped by and watched for a while.

OL need some work still...since last week they looked somewhat better. They were getting yelled at sometimes for missing assignments and by yelling i mean "if you don't want to concentrate and give it your all sit over here the rest of practice and do pushups and jumping jacks"

QB - Mertens didn't looked rushed that much and most balls were on line and hs some nice plays when the pass wasn't open so ran for about 10 yards, didn't force many passes hit a few WRs in the numbers where they dropped some. He also didn't keep his eye on 1 WR kept scanning the field which is good, but biggest thing with him is can we see this type of qb in game time situations??

RBs - All of them looked good...Blincoe looked good he's put on some muscle and looked ready to go, Paschall same looked good and hit the open well, DJ is looking better then he did last year not as much dancing around would just hit the hole hard.....he also returned 2 punts....well 1 wasn't finished but easily would of took it back...other one he just out ran them. Voigtlander had some nice good runs broke free in a few.

TEs - wow wow wow I like our TE's a lot thats all i have to say there.

WRS - looked good I enjoyed the plays that were called for them to get them open...they ran routes well...dropped some passes that should of been caught...honestly Sidney I haven't seen a whole lot out of him..looks big and all but I haven't seen them get him the ball, I noticed him 1 on 1 with the CB should easily throw it up to him.

Overall Offense I was pleased for most part, I really do like the screen passes they've been doing hopefully they keep that up. OL needs some work but getting better. RBs look good and hitting the holes hard. I just hope they keep these plays the screens, 10 yard passes to TE and WRs and some 20-25 yard passes.

DL looked pretty good would give the OL troubles at time stopped the RBS a few times and got through to Mertens a few times....

Defense though I didn't really pay to much attention with today.

CaBisonFan
04-30-2009, 05:28 AM
How big is Blincoe? Is he a legitimate candidate for some playing time at RB this fall? Also...did he blow his knee out last year? ACL?

He's from down this way, near the Mexican border in a real desert town...not the Arizona kind of desert. Small town far from any big city. I met his family after the Cal Poly game in 2007. Dad, mom, sisters, and a younger brother who says he wants to play for the Bison. He looked very athletic and physical. Really nice people. Glad to hear Pete's back. Could he possibly be a returner? Two years ago he couldn't have run through a wet paper bag...or so it appeared.

Translation: What's the scoop on Pete? :cool:

PS - Where's the real strength of this team so far? Any real dominance?

KilldeerBison
05-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Looked like Richard Bowman hurt his left leg (ankle) in a pass coverage drill today, he left practice on crutches. It was the first time I have seen the team this spring. As stated before, defense looks good overall, The offense showed some nice running plays DJ had some really nice runs, PP had a few also. Passing game looked so-so.

Bison101
05-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Looked like Richard Bowman hurt his left leg (ankle) in a pass coverage drill today, he left practice on crutches. It was the first time I have seen the team this spring. As stated before, defense looks good overall, The offense showed some nice running plays DJ had some really nice runs, PP had a few also. Passing game looked so-so.

Yeah I'd like an update on Bowman....

stevdock
05-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm curious to know the answer to this question. When you guys say passing game is so-so or it doesn't look good, what are you comparing it to?? Are you comparing it to last year or to Walker or to the NFL?? There's a huge difference just between the first two and it's something to know as we read your reports.

TransAmBison
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm curious to know the answer to this question. When you guys say passing game is so-so or it doesn't look good, what are you comparing it to?? Are you comparing it to last year or to Walker or to the NFL?? There's a huge difference just between the first two and it's something to know as we read your reports.

I think they are saying, "More of the same."

AEBison1998
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
I went to the scrimmage today. I thought that the O-Line did a much better job than they did last Saturday. There were big plays from both the offense and the defense. Here are my thoughts.

-Tyler Henry made a lot of nice plays against the run. Matt Anderson did too.
-There wasn't much successful running against the #1 D.
-DJ had some really slippery runs that were nice. But he also had some dancing behind the line when the run was up the middle. You kind of take the good with the bad it seems. But his runs out in space are really, really fun to watch!!!!
-Voit looked good out there between the tackles. Such a slasher. It is amazing how different the top four RB's run from each other. Nice recruiting I think.
-Josh Horner was playing CB and Daniel Eaves was at FS. I guess this is how they reacted to the loss of the FS from Texas this week. Bowman was also injured, as was Mitchel from last week so it might just be a temporary thing. But...who knows. We haven't recruited a CB in two years. Maybe that is a good fit.
-Greg Reid is really quick. He is playing DT and had two plays where he ran a guy down on the outside. I didn't watch to see how he held up to an inside run, but he can definately go laterally in a big hurry. My bet is that he is going to be good.
-Fred Bussey played second team MLB a lot today and Beson played most of the time last week. So it is good to see some depth there (remember last year?)
-I thought Nick looked pretty good today. He ran a couple times and most of his throws were right on target. It seems like they are working more plays like you expect from the "west coast offense". Lots of slants, TE drags, screens, quick outs, and crossing patterns all in that 5 yard range. Some inside, some outside. A nice mix. Not as many passes to the TE's today though. The receivers also didn't have the drops that they had last weekend.
The offense had more trouble in the red zone. I suppose that is normal since the defense is backed up close.
-All in all, the offense was moving the ball much better than last week.
-One really nice deap pass for a TD. I can't remember who caught it. I think Holloway. It was about a 30 yard play.
-I didn't see Pete Blincoe playing today. Maybe he has a minor injury or something.
-The guy that moved from TE to DE was playing on the first team D with Boyer. I was surprised by that.
-The turf looked great and it was a beautiful day outside!

KilldeerBison
05-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I went to the scrimmage today. I thought that the O-Line did a much better job than they did last Saturday. There were big plays from both the offense and the defense. Here are my thoughts.

-DJ had some really slippery runs that were nice. But he also had some dancing behind the line when the run was up the middle. You kind of take the good with the bad it seems. But his runs out in space are really, really fun to watch!!!!
-Voit looked good out there between the tackles. Such a slasher. It is amazing how different the top four RB's run from each other. Nice recruiting I think.
-Josh Horner was playing CB and Daniel Eaves was at FS. I guess this is how they reacted to the loss of the FS from Texas this week. Bowman was also injured, as was Mitchel from last week so it might just be a temporary thing. But...who knows. We haven't recruited a CB in two years. Maybe that is a good fit.
-Greg Reid is really quick. He is playing DT and had two plays where he ran a guy down on the outside. I didn't watch to see how he held up to an inside run, but he can definately go laterally in a big hurry. My bet is that he is going to be good.
-Fred Bussey played second team MLB a lot today and Beson played most of the time last week. So it is good to see some depth there (remember last year?)
-I thought Nick looked pretty good today. He ran a couple times and most of his throws were right on target. It seems like they are working more plays like you expect from the "west coast offense". Lots of slants, TE drags, screens, quick outs, and crossing patterns all in that 5 yard range. Some inside, some outside. A nice mix. Not as many passes to the TE's today though. The receivers also didn't have the drops that they had last weekend.
The offense had more trouble in the red zone. I suppose that is normal since the defense is backed up close.
-One really nice deap pass for a TD. I can't remember who caught it. I think Holloway. It was about a 30 yard play.
-I didn't see Pete Blincoe playing today. Maybe he has a minor injury or something.
-The guy that moved from TE to DE was playing on the first team D with Boyer. I was surprised by that.

Sidney Haynes made a nice catch and score also.

NDSUFan_Sav
05-02-2009, 09:57 PM

I ran into a former player and had some small talk going then he let me know that Blincoe had been kicked off of the team but he was uncertain of the reason behind it...that's all I've heard and know....its nice seeing Bohl show these players that if you do something you will pay.

NDSUFan_Sav
05-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Sidney Haynes made a nice catch and score also.

yes he did...that was a nice grab and effort to get into the end zone....mertens threw a nice ball today and wr's were bringing them in....running Def was tough...but the rbs broke a few decent runs...OL looked better....I am really a big fan of the new coaching staff, they let players know what they did was wrong and make sure they learn from their mistakes.

rutlandbison
05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
[quote=NDSUFan_Sav;278458]I ran into a former player and had some small talk going then he let me know that Blincoe had been kicked off of the team but he was uncertain of the reason behind it...that's all I've heard and know....its nice seeing Bohl show these players that if you do something you will pay
It is nice to see Bohl not taking any of the sh*t.

tjbison
05-04-2009, 02:08 AM
I ran into a former player and had some small talk going then he let me know that Blincoe had been kicked off of the team but he was uncertain of the reason behind it...that's all I've heard and know....its nice seeing Bohl show these players that if you do something you will pay
It is nice to see Bohl not taking any of the sh*t.

WHAT??? Blincoe got booted??????????WTF

NDSU1980
05-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Just wondering, is Bibeau at spring practice or did Mr. Bohl tell him not to even bother?

MontBison
05-04-2009, 03:54 AM
Just wondering, is Bibeau at spring practice or did Mr. Bohl tell him not to even bother?

God let's hope so.

NDSUFan_Sav
05-04-2009, 04:04 AM
God let's hope so.

he's been at practice....haven't seen much kicking, so not sure if he's the man or not.

TransAmBison
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
he's been at practice....haven't seen much kicking, so not sure if he's the man or not.
You don't need to see him kicking to know that answer.

Ferd
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
This discussion got me thinking about all the years we didn't even have a kicker on scholarship....

MontBison
05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
This discussion got me thinking about all the years we didn't even have a kicker on scholarship....

Wasn't Aaron Pederson (sp) on scolly cause he did a pretty dam good job. Hell I think I would even take Russ Yager (sp) over Shawn because he at least had an excuse and we couldn't be to hard on him, but more stoked if he did make one.

ScooterMN
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Someone eluded to Blinco getting kicked. Has that been confirmed or is it still a rumor?

imabison
05-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Someone eluded to Blinco getting kicked. Has that been confirmed or is it still a rumor?
Still a rumor from this board. If he got into trouble with the law and it comes up in the Forum NDSU can say that has already been settled by dismissal. Nothing on new that I have seen.

Hope its not true, but the young men need to learn.

BisonNeil
05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20556/

Rumors continue to fly around. Blincoe supposed ly caught stealing and, man I hope this is wrong, but Scholtenhover caught dealing. You suppose the TJack rock being over turned is going to cause more losses? In a word, uffda...

tjbison
05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
The Daily spring practice report should be the "WHO IS STILL ON THE TEAM DAILY REPORT" :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

imabison
05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20556/

Rumors continue to fly around. Blincoe supposed ly caught stealing and, man I hope this is wrong, but Scholtenhover caught dealing. You suppose the TJack rock being over turned is going to cause more losses? In a word, uffda...
WDAY 6 sports reported that Blincoe left the team by his own decision, over the concerns with playing time. Scholtenhover was a case of no dicloser from NDSU.

A1pigskin
05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
It looks like the lower class will see a lot of playing time. They will get some good experience and in a few years they'll even be better. Go Bison.

stevdock
05-08-2009, 10:55 PM
It looks like the lower class will see a lot of playing time. They will get some good experience and in a few years they'll even be better. Go Bison.

Hopefully these boys will grow up quite quickly as there's lots of playing time available for whoever wants it.

Bisonguy
07-04-2009, 04:30 AM
Kuhtz, the LB transfer from Wyoming, will not be at NDSU this year. WDAY's Steve Hallstrom reported he will be tranferring to one of the WI DIII schools so he can play offense.

TheDoctor
07-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Kuhtz, the LB transfer from Wyoming, will not be at NDSU this year. WDAY's Steve Hallstrom reported he will be tranferring to one of the WI DIII schools so he can play offense.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/245702/

Disappointing! ;)