PDA

View Full Version : Is South Dakota in the Summit?

TheDoctor
04-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Rumors are flying around that South Dakota is being given serious consideration for entrance into the league. My gut says they will be announced as (at this time) a 9th member of the league by the end of this week. Obviously it would not be for next year, so I am guessing 2010-2011. Anyone else heard anything??? Thoughts on a 11 team league??? ;)

coldspot
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
ill throw in the obligatory "und better get their $h!T together quick if they want in on this action". somebody call lakes every 5 minutes to make sure he's not near a high bridge.

TheDoctor
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
If UND gets it together.....do they kick out Southern Utah and Centenary (costs to travel) and keep the conference at 10 teams (just a lot closer together)? ;)

roadwarrior
04-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I doubt anyone will get kicked out.

What about Chicago State being let back in?

lakesbison
04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
chicago State= yes over those d-bags up north!

Road trips to chicago = AMAZING!!

Golden Eagle
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I would be surprised if The Summit took Chicago St. back.

Bison bison
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
done:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090415/UPDATES/90415031

bisonhusker
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
The 800 pound elephant in the corner of Faison's office is the "Logo."

WOW.

Congrats to USD. They have a nice program....and will recruit against SDSU, so it is a win/win for us. Another local team.

Congrats to the Coyotes.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
How do the SDSU fans feel about playing their rival again in most sports? Do they think it's going to open up them playing in football again? Interesting developments.

lakesbison
04-15-2009, 04:03 PM
THIS IS A FREAKIN JOKE!!!

what the hell... right back to 5-10 years ago!!! all the hard work for NOTHING, stuck in the NCC again.

thanks alot douple, YOU ARE A JOKE!!

JacksFan06
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
It doesn't bother me.

A lot of fans are not happy because USD officials and fans ridiculed us when we made the move, and than they sat back and rode our coat tails to DI and to the Great West and now Summit. I'm sure it's a similar story with NDSU and UND.

But I for one welcome back the rivalry. The only negative I take away from it is whether the two Dakotas can really be competitive in D1 if they all have to recruit against each other for area recruits. I mean just 5 years ago there were 0 DI schools and now there are 4, hopefully it doesn't thin out the talent.
Luckily NDSU and SDSU have a good jump on USD & UND. And i'm not sure about NDSU, but i know SDSU is much better off financially than USD.

As far as playing them again in football, I would assume that it will happen as soon as they are a counter.

I too wouldn't mind adding UND & USD and getting rid of Southern Utah and Centenary, although I know it won't happen.

roadwarrior
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
thanks alot douple, YOU ARE A JOKE!!

Douple had no vote in this. The presidents of the member schools voted 10-0.

TheDoctor
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
done:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090415/UPDATES/90415031

Wow! I didn't think it would come this fast! 2011-12..I was off a year. ;)

roadwarrior
04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
USD has the same scenario as we did: the last year of transition in the Summit League. Its one more basketball game that is easy to drive to.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
USD has the same scenario as we did: the last year of transition in the Summit League. Its one more basketball game that is easy to drive to.

Exactly. I'll give Lakes a little more time to let it sink in. I guarantee you by the time we play our first league game in Vermillion he's going to be "Pregame party at the Pressbox! BISON CENTRAL!!! HOLLA! Lots of ladies, beer flowing like wine!"

lakesbison
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
NOPE>.. they dont even have RED BULL in vermillion.

what a joke. Now those ass turds up north will get in summit.

and back to 2001 again. GEE thanks

Leonardite
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
All correct except the Press Box burned down haha.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
All correct except the Press Box burned down haha.

No way? I stole a Labatt Blue sign from the upstairs during my younger crazier days. Had I known it was going to burn down in the future I would have taken more. :)

Leonardite
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Me too! The structure is still standing but I guess it's fire-gutted on the inside.

Kemo
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
How do the SDSU fans feel about playing their rival again in most sports? Do they think it's going to open up them playing in football again? Interesting developments.

There seems to mixed feelings on the issue from what I have gathered over the time since USD announced they were going DI. The general consensus, imo, is that the program doesn't need SDSU/USD games and that we have a great rivalry going with a school due north (their mascot is like a buffalo or something :D ), however there isn't a lot of objection to USD joining the Summit League either, as it was going to happen eventually.

My thoughts about USD joining the DI and the Summit League was that I wasn't too happy when they declined to go DI with us the first time, basically telling us we were going to fail, and then after we made a very successful transition, they decided to jump on the bandwagon. I relate it to sending your buddy through a mine field first with the thought that he isn't going to make it, then after he reaches the other side, walking the same path because now you know it is safe. I'm over most of that now, but I'm still not overly excited about the prospects of playing the U again, but when we do I hope we just clobber them.

The Summit League did make the right decision as far as the conference is concerned in accepting USD though, and they should accept UND once they get their mascot issues figured out, for these two teams have better fan bases than probably half of the current teams, would centralize the conference more (booting out SUU and Cent would help too), and bring in some region rivalries. If the Summit League Basketball Tournament stays in Sioux Falls, these new additions could only increase the attendance as well.

tony
04-15-2009, 05:34 PM

My thoughts about USD joining the DI and the Summit League was that I wasn't too happy when they declined to go DI with us the first time,

Actually I'm pretty sure that USD, SDSU, NDSU, and Northern Colorado originally wanted to go DI at the same time.

Anyway, congrats to USD! That's a huge step for their program.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure that USD, SDSU, NDSU, and Northern Colorado originally wanted to go DI at the same time.

Anyway, congrats to USD! That's a huge step for their program.

Are you sure about USD? I thought they came out and said they wanted to be the Division II Harvard on the Prairie or something like that. At least that's what I remember their pres Abott saying.

Kemo
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure about any DI talk before the turn of the century, but my recollection of the events around the time of the actual XDSU move to DI the entire NCC was asked to make the move as well (N. Colorado was already on its way out) to solve the problem of getting into a conference. It was assumed that Augustana wasn't going to make the move, but all the state universities in the Dakota's as well as schools like Mankato, St. Cloud, and Omaha seemed to have the enrollment and the means to make the move. All these schools ended up declining the offer to make the DI move with the XDSUs, and I know USD even made a public statement along the lines "We'd rather stay in DII and win National Championships then struggle in DI)". It was years later after viewing the success of the XDSUs at the DI level did the UxDs change their thought process.

Kemo
04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Are you sure about USD? I thought they came out and said they wanted to be the Division II Harvard on the Prairie or something like that. At least that's what I remember their pres Abott saying.

Yep, that was the crap we had to listen to when we made the move. Good to see someone else remembers hearing that BS so I don't have to try and dig up old articles to prove it happened :)

NDSUstudent
04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure USD voted for the NCC to go DI, they just didn't want to go DI on their own like the XDSU's did.

Twentysix
04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Am i correct in assuming the USD SDSU rivalry is almost a non factor in comparison to UND NDSU?

Also UND has been publicly spoken against by the higherups in our conference i dont think they will be given admittance for awile. Though in time its certainly possible and more than likely will happen.

USD/UND belong in the great west as far as football goes though.

Leonardite
04-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Am i correct in assuming the USD SDSU rivalry is almost a non factor in comparison to UND NDSU?

Having lived down here for a couple years now, I get the feeling that it was tense athletically, but has nowhere near the political animosity that the UND/NDSU rivalry carries. There seems to have been a deep dislike for each other when the teams played but not the full-out revulsion for each other that NDSU and UND have and almost certainly always will. Case in point: In Vermillion during the WBB NCAA's, the bars and the student body at USD were full of people cheering for the Jackrabbits. When UND lost in the hockey playoffs, not only did the majority of the Bison fan base take pleasure, the freakin' mayor of Fargo made fun of them. And we don't even play hockey.

Which scenario is better is up for debate, but that's the way it is from what I've seen. SDSU fans or any nearly non-existent USD internet fans can put me in my place if they think I'm wrong.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I went to a SDSU/USD game in Vermillion around 2000 or so. Bought tickets minutes before kick off and then left with a large quantity of USD students at halftime during a closely contested game. While there the game and atmosphere were a snoozefest. I keep saying to my USD buddy, "I can't believe how dead it is in here."

Kemo
04-15-2009, 08:52 PM
For some reason football hasn't been as big of draw between SDSU and USD, but basketball games were quite intense. 14 out the top 20 highest attended games in Frost Arena's history involved USD and those attendances were around 9,000 people (which has to be breaking fire code). Hopefully there were never any PETA members at those games, because it was almost always a guarantee that a dead coyote/rabbit would get thrown on the floor.

JackJD
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
It was true USD was in favor of the bulk of the NCC moving to DI. When that wasn't going to fly, USD stayed back. (As it turns out, I think NDSU and SDSU "benefitted" when the entire conference didn't move because they got into a conference with an autobid in basketball much faster.)

Football was a huge draw between USD and SDSU through about the mid-80s but faded some as SDSU started to dominate the series. (Over the 100+ year history of the football rivalry, I think USD has a slight advantage but if you look as the last 15 years or so, SDSU usually won.)

In the waning days of the NCC, football crowds for Augustana v SDSU and USD v SDSU were comparable.