PDA

View Full Version : USD in Summit

jackrabbit1979
04-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Per SDSU beat writer Terry Vandrovec on Brookings Radio Sports Show this morning, USD will be admitted into Summit League at afternoon press conference today. Posts on SDSU board are saying the same thing as well....I'm sure media links will be coming soon.

lakesbison
04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
God Dammit!!!

coldspot
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
God Dammit!!!

dont be so butt hurt, youre going to give yourself a hemmarroid

lakesbison
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I dont want THEM of UND in the Summit.

TIME TO SERIOUSLY LOOK AT MISSOURI VALLEY BASKETBALL!!

we are going RIGHT BACK to where we were 5-10 years ago, HOW STUPID!

Ferd
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM

wolf .............

Bison bison
04-15-2009, 03:16 PM
riding on coattails - definite sign of leadership.

Bison bison
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
it's official or will be at 2:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090415/UPDATES/90415031

Unanimous vote.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 04:10 PM

except we are eligible for playoffs in all division 1 sports, we now compete against the likes of games in likes of USC, Wisconsin, Kansas, Minnesota in b-ball, we are members of the premier FCS football conference in the country, we set record fund raising amounts through teammakers, record enrollment numbers becoming the largest university in the state for the first time ever, research expenditures exceeding $150 million dollars, on campus improvements including the union, BSA, possible new arena, several new dormitories, new locker and team meeting area's in the Dome, etc, etc.

So yeah, right back wear we were 5 to 10 years ago. Lakes why do you let UND define how successful NDSU is?

HandoEX
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Where does this put that other U school?

:paperbag:

Bison"FANatic"
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
The pressure will be to great and they will cave on the mascot issue as they are seeing what it costs them. I don't have a problem with either being in the Summit as long as they don't ever try to force us to leave the Missouri Valley for Football and have a all sport Summit conference.

zooropa
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Hah! Might as well put together a bid to get into the Big Ten while you're at it.

(the sad thing is, most Bison fans will take that as a joke---but Lakes is thinking----'HE'S RIGHT! We DID beat one Big Ten team once in one revenue sport...., we DO belong in the Big Ten!')
:p

As far as USD goes: the Summit needs to look to its long term vitality, and a bunch of commuter schools can't provide that. Arguably, they're looking even farther out than USD's effective start date of 2012/2013.

56BISON73
04-15-2009, 05:00 PM
riding on coattails - definite sign of leadership.

Considering that UNI went D1 first I guess NDSU is riding on their coat tails???:D

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Hah! Might as well put together a bid to get into the Big Ten while you're at it.

(the sad thing is, most Bison fans will take that as a joke---but Lakes is thinking----'HE'S RIGHT! We DID beat one Big Ten team once in one revenue sport...., we DO belong in the Big Ten!')
:p

As far as USD goes: the Summit needs to look to its long term vitality, and a bunch of commuter schools can't provide that. Arguably, they're looking even farther out than USD's effective start date of 2012/2013.

Big 10 HERE WE COME! HOLLA! Northwestern's a joke anyway. NDSU could easily take their place. If NDSU would only add hockey we'd be in the Big 10 tomorrow. I talked to the Big 10 commissioner's sister at a girl scout bake sale fundraiser last week and she told me that if NDSU added hockey, Wisconsin and Minnesota would drop the WCHA and start a Big 10 hockey conference. Then they'd bring us into all sports around 2014. Book it. DONE!

/that's my best lakes impersonation.

JackJD
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
bisonmike:

You have to stop using Washington's picture!! I break out laughing every time I see one of your posts.

56BISON73
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Big 10 HERE WE COME! HOLLA! Northwestern's a joke anyway. NDSU could easily take their place. If NDSU would only add hockey we'd be in the Big 10 tomorrow. I talked to the Big 10 commissioner's sister at a girl scout bake sale fundraiser last week and she told me that if NDSU added hockey, Wisconsin and Minnesota would drop the WCHA and start a Big 10 hockey conference. Then they'd bring us into all sports around 2014. Book it. DONE!

You need help in finding the caps lock????:D You also forgot to double and triple space between the lines. With just alittle practice you should have it down.
But the real question is are you willing to have your brain removed:D

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 05:39 PM
bisonmike:

You have to stop using Washington's picture!! I break out laughing every time I see one of your posts.

No way. I'm keeping it for a while. Interesting side note. It's not only Shamen's mugshot, it's also a picture of him taking a dump on our 2009 football season.

And PL I'll try to dumb it down a little and use less complete sentences.

zooropa
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I talked to the Big 10 commissioner's sister at a girl scout bake sale fundraiser last week and she told me that if NDSU added hockey, Wisconsin and Minnesota would drop the WCHA and start a Big 10 hockey conference. Then they'd bring us into all sports around 2014. Book it. DONE!
:D

Re: UND

From what I see on the blog that Hammersmith provided a link to, they're still in deep deep denial about the nickname issue.

zooropa
04-15-2009, 05:50 PM
NDSU IS IN THE BIG TEN!!!

TUBBY SMITH wants PHILLIPS job.

'10 RECRUITING CLASS SHOULD BE NATIONALLY RANKED!!!!

SO LONG BUNNY TURDS AND OAKLAND PUNKS!!!

NDSU IS DA BIG TIME!!!!

zooropa
04-15-2009, 05:53 PM
How was that?

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
How was that?

++++++++++++++

/deserving of my best sambini impersonation

NDSU1980
04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
OK, next question, is the Summit going to take Chicago State or do they operate with 11 members? I can't imagine that they will lower themselves to take und, even if they ever get the mascot thing solved.

bisonmike2
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
OK, next question, is the Summit going to take Chicago State or do they operate with 11 members? I can't imagine that they will lower themselves to take und, even if they ever get the mascot thing solved.

the summit will take UND the second they resolve the nickname. the question is, are the UND admins smart enough to take care of the problem.

Bison Dan
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Considering that UNI went D1 first I guess NDSU is riding on their coat tails???:D

Big time apple and oranges. So you don't think that our paving the way into the Summit made it easier for them?

silkamilkamonico
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Big time apple and oranges. So you don't think that our paving the way into the Summit made it easier for them?

It's irrelevant. In the not so distant future, there will be less conferences with more teams in each conference, and how anyone wants to spin it, all of the dakota schools will be joined in the same conference.

Bison bison
04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
It's irrelevant. In the not so distant future, there will be less conferences with more teams in each conference, and how anyone wants to spin it, all of the dakota schools will be joined in the same conference.

like jamestown and SD Tech!?! :p

silkamilkamonico
04-15-2009, 07:29 PM
like jamestown and SD Tech!?! :p

They will be the kings in D2.

homer
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Explain how they would be lowering themselves again? I gotta hear this explanation.

Bison Dan
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Your missing the point - what you said may be true but the fact that we were the first to establish a relationship and join the Summit makes it easier for und and usd to join and that's a fact.

Bison"FANatic"
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I find it a little interesting how SDSU and NDSU were joined at the hip and it was a take both or none deal and now just one is brought into the conference at this time. Man it has to have the admins up north just stirring in their chairs. Get it together and you to can play in our sandbox.

zooropa
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM

They would be lowering themselves, at this point, to accept Chicago State.

Chicago State is -still- sorting out its athletic department. This is a brief history of their travails:

1) Big screw up in WBB (2001-2005)

They hired disgraced Minnesota Gophers WBB coach Cheryl Littlejohn BEFORE the NCAA finished investigating her conduct at the U of M. They subsequently had to fire her because she was pulling the same crap at Chicago State. (Possibly, possibly, this was one of the reasons why they left the Summit--you simply do NOT hire a coach when they're under NCAA investigation)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=1689569

And landed themselves (as the article above notes) a 2 year probation:

2) Revolving door at the AD's office (2005-2008):

2005: Greg Lefleur (9 months on the job)
2006: Darren Hamilton (9 months on the job)
2007: ???
2008: Sudie Davis

3) Baseball coach with fictional resumé. (2008)

http://ballhype.com/story/coach_strikes_out_with_bogus_resume_chicago_sun_ti mes/

-----

Chicago State's problems make UND look like rank amateurs when it comes to controversy and bad management.

AKBison
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
UND is in a bad spot. If ORU goes to the Valley, or if Centenary goes to DIII or if SUU gets their Big Sky invite, or if.... Any scenario that leads to a core member leaving the Summit will force the hand of Douple and the Presidents to protect the autobid and add Chicago State. If that happens, watch for USD to make its way into the Valley for Football. UND would be royally screwed and would have to either stay in the Great West or agree to some crazy travel subsidies to get into the Big Sky.

All specualtation and moot. Congrats on bid USD. Now Earn it and prove you belong.

NorthernBison
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Congratulations to USD. This has to make them breathe easier because the MOST important puzzle piece to the transition is now in place.

Anybody talking about kicking Centenary or anybody else out of the Summit is delusional and downright goofy. The most important asset in the Summit League is the NCAA Autobid. That means that there is zero chance of any core members being asked to leave. NDSU, SDSU, and now USD won't help in that regard for a long time yet.

The possibility of a core member leaving (ORU to MVC, Centenary to DIII) is slightly terrifying to the Summit. Those type things are the only potential for a Chicago State to be considered for readmittance.

USD being invited makes it abundantly clear that the Summit wants UND too. The statement has already been made that UND won't be considered until the nickname issue is "resolved". The question that hasn't been answered is what "resolved" really means. If the Tribes give approval and the name is kept, will the Summit Presidents consider that a "resolution" or do they consider "resolved" to mean the same as "dropped"? Time will tell.

Kemo
04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
USD being invited makes it abundantly clear that the Summit wants UND too. The statement has already been made that UND won't be considered until the nickname issue is "resolved". The question that hasn't been answered is what "resolved" really means. If the Tribes give approval and the name is kept, will the Summit Presidents consider that a "resolution" or do they consider "resolved" to mean the same as "dropped"? Time will tell.
"Resolved" means eliminating the threat of NCAA sanction against UND, which can either be done by them getting the approval of the local tribes or changing the mascot.

NorthernBison
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
"Resolved" means eliminating the threat of NCAA sanction against UND, which can either be done by them getting the approval of the local tribes or changing the mascot.

Says you. Nobody knows for sure. FYI, the agreement with the NCAA says that they are good if they get the approval of the Tribes BUT, if that approval is ever withdrawn, they will comply. Nickname oppponents on the Spirit Lake Reservation say that even if the vote goes against them, they will keep bringing it up over and over. "Resolved" today could turn into the opposite at the next Tribal Council meeting. Reservation politics are notoriously unstable.

Does the Summit want to get into the middle of that ongoing battle?

Unless you are privy to the inner discussions of the Summit League President's, there is no real way of knowing for sure. This same discussion is going on on Siouxsports. They are wondering the same things.

NDSUstudent
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
UND's problem is that the hockey backers have the power, and since hockey has nothing to lose they will fight this to the bitter end. If the WCHA would have came out and said they get the boot because of the name, it would have been changed seconds after the WCHA decree.

That said, even if they get a deal worked out with the tribes they still have no control of their future since the tribes could always have a change of mind. I don't know about you but I would have a huge problem if a group of people that had no connection to my unversity held that kind of power.

tjbison
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
UND is in a bad spot. If ORU goes to the Valley, or if Centenary goes to DIII or if SUU gets their Big Sky invite, or if.... Any scenario that leads to a core member leaving the Summit will force the hand of Douple and the Presidents to protect the autobid and add Chicago State. If that happens, watch for USD to make its way into the Valley for Football. UND would be royally screwed and would have to either stay in the Great West or agree to some crazy travel subsidies to get into the Big Sky.

All specualtation and moot. Congrats on bid USD. Now Earn it and prove you belong.

I seriously doubt this will happen just Like ORU getting into the Valley for Basketball, I would be willing to bet they will go looking for member with all sports and not just Bball, Baseball etc...

zooropa
04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
if Centenary goes to DIII

Here's the thing on that:

Centenary is an exclusive and expensive private college. If those players weren't on athletic scholarships, they'd be on academic scholarships.

Centenary's athletic program is, basically, a form of financial aid. Heck, TV ran an article, they've got like 900 students and maybe close to 200 student athletes.

Worth bearing in mind when talking about Centenary dropping down to (no scholarship) D-3.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-15-2009, 10:59 PM

if you wouldn't of said anything bout that i would of believed you like i do for lakes....:D

Ferd
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Here's the thing on that:

Centenary is an exclusive and expensive private college. If those players weren't on athletic scholarships, they'd be on academic scholarships.

Centenary's athletic program is, basically, a form of financial aid. Heck, TV ran an article, they've got like 900 students and maybe close to 200 student athletes.

Worth bearing in mind when talking about Centenary dropping down to (no scholarship) D-3.

Yes. "No scholarship" does NOT equate to "No financial aid!"

zooropa
04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes. "No scholarship" does NOT equate to "No financial aid!"
The way I figure it, Centenary's attitude is that the school at least gets something in return for the the money they spend on their athletes. And I'm sure there's quite a few donors that would only fund athletic scholarships (as stupid as that is).

I think Centenary's president said that they looked at going D-3 once and that it didn't make any sense.

Bisonguy
04-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome USD!!

See you in conference competition in 2011!!

TheBisonator
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM
The way I figure it, Centenary's attitude is that the school at least gets something in return for the the money they spend on their athletes. And I'm sure there's quite a few donors that would only fund athletic scholarships (as stupid as that is).

I think Centenary's president said that they looked at going D-3 once and that it didn't make any sense.

Centenary has more money than most private D3 schools. I recently did a little research. They have Benjamins up the ass. They are a RICH school. Therefore D1 is more of a logical fit for them in that regard.

Hammersmith
04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Centenary: 854 undergrads in 2007-08, 244 play on a team*. Literally, 1 student in 3.5.

*assuming they submitted correct info to the feds.

NDSU1980
04-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Explain how they would be lowering themselves again? I gotta hear this explanation.

First off, the und basketball team is a JOKE. An absolutely joke. They can't even beat an NSIC team, and they barely beat the poorer DAC schools they played. And it wasn't just this year. The teams have been pathetic for years. I guarantee you that und won't be playing in the NCAA tourney their first year, or probably in their 20th year either. NDSU was THE talk of the tourny.

So, tell me why we would want what is essentially a D3 caliber program in the Summit? I gotta hear this explanation.

siouxdgj
04-16-2009, 12:18 AM
My congratulations also to the University of South Dakota for its acceptance into the Summit Conference. As far as leaders and followers are concerned, sometimes we follow and sometimes we lead. In fact, my high school graduating class' motto just happened to be, "Today we follow; tomorrow we lead." There is also the matter at times of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread. Nobody's perfect. However, USD's acceptance into the Summit does appear to pave the way for UND's eventual acceptance as well. Be that as it may, today is USD's day to shine, and I wish the Coyotes well in their continuing endeavor. Oh, and by the way, did I mention the UND women's softball team recently split with the Badger women in a doubleheader played in Madison, Wisconsin, the Sioux women winning the opener while dropping the nightcap?

AKBison
04-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I know this is a touchy subject but let face the facts. We are in a geographically isolated area and we can add a flagship school to the conference that is an hour from campus. There will be increased gate and interest when we play them in any sport and it shifts the conference focus further west. Meaning, someday the Dakota schools will have the power. This is all unofficial power but power none the less. It will make the Summit basketball tournament twice the event it was last year. If we can get this new basketball arena built, their inclusion into the conferene will not have much of an effect on the mens basketball program and lets face it, that is the Summit's bread and butter. Finally, think about travel for the rest of the conference. The travel partner issue makes so much sense with the four Dakota schools. You are basically getting two for ones and saving mega dough in travel cost. With all that said, I would love to watch UND shoot its own foot over this nickname deal and get left out in the cold for a few more years.

bisonranch
04-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Congrats Coyotes!

I'd guess UND is in once the nickname issue is fixed. It's a good business plan for the Summit to have solid state schools. There's just no getting around it given our location. We're already one of the top programs after 2 years.

It's a little disappointing knowing we'll have to compete with more schools for conference crowns and playoff births.

sambini
04-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Welcome USD

siouxdgj
04-16-2009, 12:43 AM
I think AKBison makes some excellent points about the Dakota schools eventually having power in the Summit. As AKBison correclty points out, geography is a key factor in this relatively sparsely settled area insofar as overall scheduling is concerned. I, too, basically feel both North Dakota State and South Dakota State were essentially snubbed by the Big Sky, and I can understand the hurt feelings. It's also very likely that both NDSU and SDSU helped pave the way for USD's acceptance into the Summit.

Kemo
04-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Says you. Nobody knows for sure. FYI, the agreement with the NCAA says that they are good if they get the approval of the Tribes BUT, if that approval is ever withdrawn, they will comply. Nickname oppponents on the Spirit Lake Reservation say that even if the vote goes against them, they will keep bringing it up over and over. "Resolved" today could turn into the opposite at the next Tribal Council meeting. Reservation politics are notoriously unstable.

Does the Summit want to get into the middle of that ongoing battle?

Unless you are privy to the inner discussions of the Summit League President's, there is no real way of knowing for sure. This same discussion is going on on Siouxsports. They are wondering the same things.

I'm not going to claim I know exactly how the NCAA or Summit League will respond to certain events concerning the UND mascot situation, but I can take an educated guess based on precedent.

The NCAA has a status list involving their Native American Mascot Policy: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=1232 If UND can convince the local tribes to grant them permission to use their name and image, the NCAA will add them to the "exempt from policy" list, as they have done with Florida State, Utah, etc... Once they are on the list, the Summit League has no reason not to process UND's application beyond pure speculation (yes, I realize the irony of me speculating over someone else speculating) of the tribes protesting something in the future that they just approved, which would be incredibly difficult to justify. That would be like a state legislature passing a law but not enforcing it because there is a chance it could come to vote again in the future.

Once again, I am speculating on what the NCAA and Summit League are going to do, but I am doing it in an educated fashion. I don't know exactly what the NCAA's policy is towards a tribe continuously wanting to vote on the same issue, but then again I'm sure they don't know exactly what they would do either, as they didn't add exemptions to the policy till after some universities appealed. Who even knows if the NCAA would revisit the issue after the initial resolution, for the issues arose from their own policy, not a law created by a government entity. The only way I can see that happen after tribal approval is if the tribes claim UND was not meeting the concessions that were agreed upon for the approval.

NorthernBison
04-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm not going to claim I know exactly how the NCAA or Summit League will respond to certain events concerning the UND mascot situation, but I can take an educated guess based on precedent.

The NCAA has a status list involving their Native American Mascot Policy: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=1232 If UND can convince the local tribes to grant them permission to use their name and image, the NCAA will add them to the "exempt from policy" list, as they have done with Florida State, Utah, etc... Once they are on the list, the Summit League has no reason not to process UND's application beyond pure speculation (yes, I realize the irony of me speculating over someone else speculating) of the tribes protesting something in the future that they just approved, which would be incredibly difficult to justify. That would be like a state legislature passing a law but not enforcing it because there is a chance it could come to vote again in the future.

Once again, I am speculating on what the NCAA and Summit League are going to do, but I am doing it in an educated fashion. I don't know exactly what the NCAA's policy is towards a tribe continuously wanting to vote on the same issue, but then again I'm sure they don't know exactly what they would do either, as they didn't add exemptions to the policy till after some universities appealed. Who even knows if the NCAA would revisit the issue after the initial resolution, for the issues arose from their own policy, not a law created by a government entity. The only way I can see that happen after tribal approval is if the tribes claim UND was not meeting the concessions that were agreed upon for the approval.

I really don't know how the Presidents of the Summit schools view this. One thing I will point out regarding your comment is the issue of the NCAA revisiting a the issue if Tribal permission is withdrawn. That does not apply in any way because there currently is an out of court settlement agreed to by the SBoHE and the NCAA where the school WILL abide by any future withdrawal of permission. Basically if the Tribes want to be "Indian Givers", they can.

Honestly, there is a strong opinion from many in Grand Forks that the only real "resolution" to the issue is to drop it. The Summit may choose to appraoch it the same way. That's why I said "time will tell". We can only wait and see.

lakesbison
04-16-2009, 01:48 AM
SCREW COYOTES AND SIOUX.

this is a JOKE JOKE JOKE!

we are supposed to becoming BIG TIME D1.

not "LET THIS LIL SCHOOLS AND NCC BACK IN WITH US"

im embarassed.

tjbison
04-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Welcome Coyotes, can't wait to kick your A## in Fargo and VermTown in 2011:p Bring on UND what the hell, so they get in its a great sellout game for both schools, our mens BBall team is 10 years ahead nothing to worry about right?? Play them regularly in the Summit and every other for Football, cause sorry guys this is the only conference we will be in together, UND and USD will not be in the MVFC (at least anytime soon)

but still gotta have some in GF shaking in their panties over USD being fully affiliated with Conferences and UND not! also this makes UND the only FULL member of the GWC now!!!

sambini
04-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Welcome USD

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2009, 02:43 AM
SCREW COYOTES AND SIOUX.

this is a JOKE JOKE JOKE!

we are supposed to becoming BIG TIME D1.

not "LET THIS LIL SCHOOLS AND NCC BACK IN WITH US"

im embarassed.

I cannot wait to listen to you cry when the day comes for UND to join the conference in the next couple of years.

coldspot
04-16-2009, 03:06 AM
I cannot wait to listen to you cry when the day comes for UND to join the conference in the next couple of years.

im with you.

popcorn ready for lakes meltdown? check

hey lakes, would you rather play ____________(insert no name college from across the country) and have NOBODY care about the game, or play the 'yotes and who and have people give a damn about the game?

BearsCountry
04-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Look for Centenary to take Texas State's spot in the Southland Conference, that should be around 2011 or so.

lakesbison
04-16-2009, 03:14 AM
ID RATHER PLAY TEAMS THAT didnt F us in the ASS 6 years ago, and who comes CRAWLING BACK NOW.... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!.

Id rather "BRING ON THE COMPETITION" and get better non=conference teams and go 17-12 and compete for the summit championship.

zooropa
04-16-2009, 03:29 AM
GO FBS or GET HOCKEY

:rofl:

The Lakes recipe for getting into the Big Ten.

lakesbison
04-16-2009, 03:30 AM
really don't know why USD moved now..... The school just announced budget cuts, they still don't have a basketball/volleyball facility... they don't have baseball which is like the number 2 sport in the conference.... plus they aren't a counter

homer
04-16-2009, 03:46 AM
First off, the und basketball team is a JOKE. An absolutely joke. They can't even beat an NSIC team, and they barely beat the poorer DAC schools they played. And it wasn't just this year. The teams have been pathetic for years. I guarantee you that und won't be playing in the NCAA tourney their first year, or probably in their 20th year either. NDSU was THE talk of the tourny.

So, tell me why we would want what is essentially a D3 caliber program in the Summit? I gotta hear this explanation.

Funny I didn't know that all the Summit sponsored was men't basketball. I could swear they sponsor a few more sports than that. I think UND brings a lot to the table in the other sports, minus T & F and volleyball.

I never put a timeline on UND making the tournament, you did. I can't say when they will make the tournament. The program has come a long ways from where it was when Coach Glas left it. I hope that NDSU never goes through the same thing its a long frustrating road, when a program tears itself down and than rebuilds.

I won't even touch the talk of the tourney comment cause I'll say it was more Ben Woodside, you'll say it was the team, I'll say how can a team that gets beat out in the first round be the talk of the tourney, you'll say look at all the articles, I'll look at all the articles and see all of them where about Ben Woodside, it will never end. Either way the guy can flat out play and is a stud. Agree to disagree.

But I guess a school cannot rebuild a program. I remember watching the Bison men back when they where a .500 D2 team. Same year you almost beat Kansas St. they lost to Northern St. That was like what, six or seven years ago. Maybe you forgot how far your program has come.

HerdBot
04-16-2009, 03:47 AM
I'm excited about it! Originally I was luke warm on playing UND and USD. Now after watching USD join, I like the idea of UND.They could help take the "non football sports" to another level.

Let's face it. NDSU/SDSU/UND/USD have a tremendous history. NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD were the premeire shows before the D1 move but the NDSU/SDSU and UND/USD rivalries have been stepped up a notch since we made the D1 jump. (Ironically enough, the football attendance records that were once UND/USD are now NDSU/SDSU. We're talking about 2 big time rivalries here! HUGE!

I don't buy all the crap that it's the old NCC. First off, the NCC in it's prime was the best D2 conference on the planet. Second, it's the BEST TEAMS of the old NCC and we all have more scholarships now and we play against other great teams like Oral Roberts and Oakland and have a shot to go to the big dance and play on ESPN and CBS!

Gone are the teams like St Cloud, Augustana, Mankato, Western Washington, and Nebraska Omaha. They are being replaced by budding rivalries with teams like Oral Roberts, Western Illinois, Oakland, IUPUI, and IPFW!

By adding both schools, it's a lock that NDSU/UND, SDSU/USD, NDSU/SDSU, USD/UND, NDSU/USD, and SDSU/UND will have massive crowds twice a year. These are TV games. That's 12 great games and we haven't even gotten to Oral Roberts and Oakland yet much less the Summit League Championship or a birth to the Big Dance!

That creates excitement! Excitement breeds excellence.

zooropa
04-16-2009, 04:20 AM
really don't know why USD moved now..... The school just announced budget cuts, they still don't have a basketball/volleyball facility... they don't have baseball which is like the number 2 sport in the conference.... plus they aren't a counter

The point is unless there was an underlying reason (money, or a member seriously considering leaving the conference) I really don't know why they moved now..... The school just announced budget cuts, they still don't have a basketball/volleyball facility... they don't have baseball which is like the number 2 sport in the conference.... plus they aren't a counter..... and then just to add they made fun of us 6 years ago for going D-I.....And we are helping them out.....
http://sdsufans.com/board/showpost.php?p=118338&postcount=74

jackrabbit1979
04-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Awesome. Any thoughts of your own Lakes?

zooropa
04-16-2009, 04:55 AM
By adding both schools, it's a lock that NDSU/UND, SDSU/USD, NDSU/SDSU, USD/UND, NDSU/USD, and SDSU/UND will have massive crowds twice a year. These are TV games. That's 12 great games and we haven't even gotten to Oral Roberts and Oakland yet much less the Summit League Championship or a birth to the Big Dance!

That creates excitement! Excitement breeds excellence.

Totally agree.... The UxDs & xDSUs have played each other around 500 times in football.

In basketball

SDSU/NDSU: 198 games
SDSU/USD: 201 games
SDSU/UND: 182 games
NDSU/USD: 162 games
USD/UND: 179 games
NDSU/UND: 286 games (??!!!???)

That's a combined history of 1,208 games among those four schools.

The Summit was certainly not going to dismiss that out of hand. One of the things came out of the Summit's meetings at Vermillion was a sense of the history that the Dakota schools have.

One of the articles covering that visit mentioned that conference reps were impressed by USD staff and boosters being able to talk about games that were played among those four schools 30 and 40 years ago.

The Summit has nothing to compare to that anywhere else.

jjbballfan
04-16-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm Joeboo22.... on SDSUFANS its alright that Lakesbison is using my info.... for now..... as long as its an insult of USD its fine with me....

lakesbison
04-16-2009, 06:12 AM
ya.. I messaged joeboo on sdsu and apoligized for NOT giving him the COMMON MAN.. "COPYRIGHT JOEBOO" on that post.

peace out.

YOTES SUCK so bad. this is embarassing, have you seen their Football Tailgate party?? cue the video, UTH!

UTH
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
ya.. I messaged joeboo on sdsu and apoligized for NOT giving him the COMMON MAN.. "COPYRIGHT JOEBOO" on that post.

peace out.

YOTES SUCK so bad. this is embarassing, have you seen their Football Tailgate party?? cue the video, UTH!

Always happy to oblige:D... [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCe4JOtYxc)]

*damn it's fun to post crap after getting back from the bar:hide:

zooropa
04-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Always happy to oblige:D... [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCe4JOtYxc)]
That's priceless.

A guy who lived at the other end of the dorm my sophomore year went to a toga party. It was time for him to go home when he attempted to down a flaming shot before putting the fire out.

The guy that followed him back to the dorm (to make sure he got home safe) claimed that he stood and watched the drunk kid pass out, fall forward into the locked inner door, only to come to, stand up and then pass out and fall into the door again. Guy said he passed out and fell into the door three times before he let him in.

Bison Dan
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
My congratulations also to the University of South Dakota for its acceptance into the Summit Conference. As far as leaders and followers are concerned, sometimes we follow and sometimes we lead. In fact, my high school graduating class' motto just happened to be, "Today we follow; tomorrow we lead." There is also the matter at times of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread. Nobody's perfect. However, USD's acceptance into the Summit does appear to pave the way for UND's eventual acceptance as well. Be that as it may, today is USD's day to shine, and I wish the Coyotes well in their continuing endeavor. Oh, and by the way, did I mention the UND women's softball team recently split with the Badger women in a doubleheader played in Madison, Wisconsin, the Sioux women winning the opener while dropping the nightcap?

Yeah what's their record 5-27 A total DI power house! Same old softball team as DII - BAD....

Bison bison
04-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Kolpack brings up a good point about UVU...

siouxdgj
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Oops, sorry. Guess I've been a little slow to realize that if NDSU defeats a Big Ten school such as Wisconsin in any sport it's time to bring out the trumpets to herald the second coming. But when UND defeats Wisconsin in softball, let alone hockey, it's hardly worth recognizing. Talk about double standards. I surely do hope it's true what they say, that being that the meek shall inherit the earth.

duluthbison
04-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Oops, sorry. Guess I've been a little slow to realize that if NDSU defeats a Big Ten school such as Wisconsin in any sport it's time to bring out the trumpets to herald the second coming. But when UND defeats Wisconsin in softball, let alone hockey, it's hardly worth recognizing. Talk about double standards. I surely do hope it's true what they say, that being that the meek shall inherit the earth.

While I sort of agree with you, beating a big 10 school in a well established and championship hockey team isn't exactly big news. Where as with our basketball team did this in their first year which was what made it more memorable and a little bigger than the UND hockey team slapping the gophers around on the ice.

Bison Dan
04-16-2009, 04:25 PM

The point is with a 5-27 record (und) beating WI a 10-32 Big Ten team in 1 game is a big deal? If you think it is, good for you.

siouxdgj
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
The point is valid, Bison Dan. Point well taken.

IzzyFlexion
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Good job UND on your victory over Wisconsin in softball.
There, feel better?
If you're looking for "pats on the back" for that accomplishment, this is not the place to find it.

siouxdgj
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Good job UND on your victory over Wisconsin in softball.
There, feel better?
If you're looking for "pats on the back" for that accomplishment, this is not the place to find it.

Thanks, Izzy. I needed that. Sometimes I need to be reminded just where I am. Nevertheless, a sincere thank you for acknowledging the UND women's softball victory in the first game of a doubleheader at UW-Madison. That isn't always the case on Bisonville. And for that I am most grateful.

lakesbison
04-16-2009, 05:43 PM
screw you siouxdj, we dont give a CRAP about anything that happens up there.

sorry, you will always be small time to us.

Women's Softball?? you're kidding, right?? what a joke, W H O C A R E S!!

Herd80
04-16-2009, 06:01 PM
One of the few times my response isn't about Lakes' latest whiny eruption.

Good for USD, just another case of evolution from one division to another in a slightly different form than NDSU, UNI...others who have moved over time. Big time, small time...who gives a rats rear. Strength of teams/universities change over time as well. We'll use NDSU's own football and basketball programs as example of that.

Sooner or later the evolution will include UND, like it or not. My emotional side says let them continue to rot in their own logo excrement...couldn't happen to a better group. My logical side says, ok then. It's been fun watching them flounder, but it won't last forever. Go ahead an move up, then let's get it on. And, they are fully capable of having good teams. History proves this out, and history teaches that nothing in college sports remains static. Again, let's recall our own hyperexcitement over a football program that is suddenly on questionable footing in terms of strength (among other things).

We have no control over what USD or UND does; I for one prefer to expend my fan energy on something more productive than bitching about schools who are moving up...I don't care who they are. A few short years ago, we were in the same boat.

siouxdgj
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
screw you siouxdj, we dont give a CRAP about anything that happens up there.

sorry, you will always be small time to us.

Women's Softball?? you're kidding, right?? what a joke, W H O C A R E S!!

The NDSU women's softball national championship evidently means nothing to you? But I guess since you've moved on, all those championships for the Bison in Division II mean absolutely nothing to you. Which is it?

56BISON73
04-16-2009, 06:16 PM
One of the few times my response isn't about Lakes' latest whiny eruption.

Good for USD, just another case of evolution from one division to another in a slightly different form than NDSU, UNI...others who have moved over time. Big time, small time...who gives a rats rear. Strength of teams/universities change over time as well. We'll use NDSU's own football and basketball programs as example of that.

Sooner or later the evolution will include UND, like it or not. My emotional side says let them continue to rot in their own logo excrement...couldn't happen to a better group. My logical side says, ok then. It's been fun watching them flounder, but it won't last forever. Go ahead an move up, then let's get it on. And, they are fully capable of having good teams. History proves this out, and history teaches that nothing in college sports remains static. Again, let's recall our own hyperexcitement over a football program that is suddenly on questionable footing in terms of strength (among other things).

We have no control over what USD or UND does; I for one prefer to expend my fan energy on something more productive than bitching about schools who are moving up...I don't care who they are. A few short years ago, we were in the same boat.

Well said Herd.