PDA

View Full Version : Do us a favor at the dome

HerdBot
04-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Since the dome is already paying a company 400K to clean the dome, why not have them go up high in the rafters and retrieve our 8 Championship banners... dust them off... and hang them on the scoreboard where we can proudly display them. It hurts my neck to look at them and most don't even realize they are there.

IzzyFlexion
04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
good call. Defintely should get that done before the UNI game so that they can learn the differnece between "painted on nothingness" vs actual and meaningful banners.

duluthbison
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
yeah, I've always wondered myself why something as important as our national championship banners hanging 100 feet up in the rafters ontop of being really small. I don't know about you guys but when I went to the sioux's last home hockey game, their banners were huge and hanging within sight. We need to do the same thing!

tjbison
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
It will never happen IMO, as its a city venue, and not owned by NDSU. I also would like to see them shown in a different way

Hammersmith
04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
This might not be popular around here, but I'm starting to lean toward taking them down for good. The same goes for any DII banners in the BSA, BBF or elsewhere. I think we should start focusing on DI conference championship banners, sweet16/elite8/final4 banners in applicable sports, and FCS championship banners(when we get any of the above, of course). I'd like to see the DII banners be moved into practice facilities and student-athlete areas. In the BSA renovation plans, there is an open, two-story area for the student-athletes to study and lounge in. I think that would be a good place for several banners. The proposed basketball practice courts addition would be a good place for several more. The final hallway as the football players leave the NDSU-only area in the Fargodome(the one with the "will be champions" over the door) would be a great spot for some of the FB banners.

Where I'm going with this is to use the DII banners to drive home to the student-athletes all the winning tradition that NDSU has, while using the DI banners-to-come to inspire the fans. Maybe I'm completely off-base, but it's something I've been kicking around.

roadwarrior
04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
All of the D-II banners in the BSA and BBF have already been taken down.

Tatanka
04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
This might not be popular around here, but I'm starting to lean toward taking them down for good. The same goes for any DII banners in the BSA, BBF or elsewhere. I think we should start focusing on DI conference championship banners, sweet16/elite8/final4 banners in applicable sports, and FCS championship banners(when we get any of the above, of course). I'd like to see the DII banners be moved into practice facilities and student-athlete areas. In the BSA renovation plans, there is an open, two-story area for the student-athletes to study and lounge in. I think that would be a good place for several banners. The proposed basketball practice courts addition would be a good place for several more. The final hallway as the football players leave the NDSU-only area in the Fargodome(the one with the "will be champions" over the door) would be a great spot for some of the FB banners.

Where I'm going with this is to use the DII banners to drive home to the student-athletes all the winning tradition that NDSU has, while using the DI banners-to-come to inspire the fans. Maybe I'm completely off-base, but it's something I've been kicking around.

This^^^^^^

Bisonfan1
04-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Keep the banners and display them better !! Who cares if they are DII banners, the players/coaches etc worked real hard for those and I have a real sense of pride when I see them. Anybody that was a part of any of those years including fans that were there, should be able to see them when they come to a game. 8 Football National Championships - WOW.

56BISON73
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I was at ASU-Jonesboro for a sport show and they had there banners from D2 up along with the D1. Untill we have so many banners that they need to make more room they stay up IMO. To take down a National Championship banner doesnt serve any purpose.

TransAmBison
04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
The banners show where we came from. Just because they are from D-II does not make them less important. I for one am very proud of all 8. I would be very disappointed if they were no longer there.

HerdBot
04-04-2009, 07:12 AM

Bad idea. We don't have any D1 football banners except for 1 Conference Championship in the Great West. Let's hang them as they come along but lets keep our 8 banners hanging proudly! Hang them next to our future D1 banners.

Reality: Ask a hundred kids in Illinois or Michigan if they have heard of NDSU football and most of them will say no.

Now tell them we have won more National Championships in football than any football program in the NFL, D1, D1AA, D2, or NAIA since 1960 and suddenly we're sounding a bit more interesting. That helped sell Steve Walker on the program.

Have we been so accustomed to being part of something great that we fail to recognize greatness. How many other schools can claim 8 in football?

Now if you can tell that kid that we've won 8 national championships in football, average in the top 10 in attendance, beat a Big Ten team as a D2 transitional school, AND have gone to the NCAA basketball tournament in our 1st year of eligibility...you'll really get their attention.

IzzyFlexion
04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Too much blood, sweat, and tears goes into such great accomplishments. To the players and staffs, it would trivialize all of their hard work and sacrifice. Additionally, it would be a disrespectful move in the eyes of all of the boosters and supporters that helped to fund all of those successful seasons.

NorthernBison
04-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't like the idea of taking them down but, right now they are basically invisible. You need a pair of binoculars to see them.

bisonbills
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Have we been so accustomed to being part of something great that we fail to recognize greatness. How many other schools can claim 8 in football?

I don't think truer words have ever been spoken on the internet.

56BISON73
04-04-2009, 06:16 PM
The banners show where we came from. Just because they are from D-II does not make them less important. I for one am very proud of all 8. I would be very disappointed if they were no longer there.

You are correct TA. If it were not for our success in D2 the Bison wouldnt be in D1. You dont ever forget where you came from!!!!!! This was expounded on by ALL the speakers at the Hail the Bison celebration this past year. If you look at the mission statement it clearly states
""""CONTINUED EXCELLENCE""""" there can be no continue without a past and that past should never be forgotten!!!!

56BISON73
04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Gabe and IZZY

Very well said. Reps to both of you!!!!

tjbison
04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I totally disagree with taking them down!!! I just wish they were more visible, ask any visiting fan if they noticed the banners and I bet the answer would be no!

NDSUFREAK
04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
keep the banners up at the fargodome, however move them so that ppl can see them a bit better!!

duluthbison
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I have to agree with most everyone on here, lets make them more visible! But I also wonder why we don't advertise the fact that we are 8 time national champs, up at the ralph they advertise all of their conference and national championships on their big video screens. Why can't we do the same?

BisBison
04-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I have to agree with most everyone on here, lets make them more visible! But I also wonder why we don't advertise the fact that we are 8 time national champs, up at the ralph they advertise all of their conference and national championships on their big video screens. Why can't we do the same?

What's a ralph? Sounds like a disease.

BlueBisonRock
04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
What's a ralph? Sounds like a disease.

Ralph. The sound made when regurgitating the previous evenings excesses. Usually associated with headaches and a general malaise.

duluthbison
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Ok, how about I know this university and at their hockey arena.....Does that make you feel better???:D

NDSUFan_Sav
04-05-2009, 08:31 AM
I totally disagree with taking them down!!! I just wish they were more visible, ask any visiting fan if they noticed the banners and I bet the answer would be no!

do we even have visiting fans...thought we had ton of yellow, green, random colors, and blue throughout the dome???