PDA

View Full Version : The new season

CaBisonFan
03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
What do you guys think? Do you think that the Bison will play good defense? How about offense?

SDbison
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Many unknowns about next season.......not confident the D will improve much and on O, well, no Roehl, no Wurtz, and a o-line that needs some shoring up. Did I mention our QB situation........

MNLonghorn10
03-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Tailgating will be kick ass as usual.

Shamen Washington should as some explosiveness.

Aside from that...uhh....

Tailgating should kick ass as usual

CaBisonFan
03-31-2009, 10:15 PM

Now...that's more like it. :nod:

SlickVic
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
we got weapons on offense they need to be utilized I don't see how any secondarys in fcs football can cover shultenover and simion or sydney whatever his name is...pat paschall all be perfect if we can loosin things up for the run game aka "spread" stuff out...I see no reason why with the personell we have on offense given the right scheme we can't score 4 or more touchdowns a game...give breskes defense that and we should host a playoff game...pressures on vigen and what he wants to do with the talent that's been stock pilled at his disposal

johnson
03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
It will be nice to see some spring ball. I think we'll all feel better after that. I think Haynes and Kuhtz will show us something positive. I was real impressed with Voigtlander last year. I remember panicking after Steffes left. That seemed to work out alright. Breske has a pretty good resume and Vigen in my opinion is better for NDSU than Perles ever was. I just wish we could see some spring ball to get a sense of things.

Mr. Burgundy
04-01-2009, 12:36 AM
I am excited about the young DE's, the transfers (LB and WR), the young RB's (who is going to step up), Shamen coming back to normal?....Mertens taking the lead or giving the keys to the freshman (Jose). I think it will be interesting to see how we use our TE's this year. We have some really skilled TE's that can stretch the field. Alot of exciting things to look forward to this summer. I guess I am not negative at all. I have alot of faith in the staff. I hope they open up the offense, and with Vigen calling the plays I think that will happen.

One thing I always look forward to is the guys that redshirted last year and what incoming freshman maybe won't redshirt.

Should be fun. I really hope they get in Spring ball.

johnson
04-01-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm curious if Veldman will fill in the gap left by Wurzbacher. It'll be interesting to see what plays out there. Any guesses on who could see playing time from the incoming class? Juckem looks like he already has the size to play. Hank Jacobs, Cole Jirik or Cooper Wahlo Jr?

cvbison1
04-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Sweet Home Chattanooooooggaaaa

tjbison
04-01-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm curious if Veldman will fill in the gap left by Wurzbacher. It'll be interesting to see what plays out there. Any guesses on who could see playing time from the incoming class? Juckem looks like he already has the size to play. Hank Jacobs, Cole Jirik or Cooper Wahlo Jr?

after last year, any recruit should be given a shot to beat out a upper classman IMO!!!:hide:

afterall doesn't competition bring out the best in everyone?? if a Senior has a RFR busting his balls for the spot hopefully the Senior steps up!!

johnson
04-01-2009, 02:33 AM
I forgot about the guys who were victims of the Clearinghouse mess. Greg Reid looked like a monster in his HS picture. The more I think about next season the more positive I feel about it. There are some ponies under the hood and I feel pretty good about the guy behind the wheel.

WYOBISONMAN
04-01-2009, 12:47 PM
For me, the biggest question is what will happen at QB.:hide:

4mcruenomore
04-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be another long/tough year. Again, the QB spot, some new backs starting, etc..etc...Can we fast forward thru this year and go to the next year instead?

HandoEX
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I think it will come down to Mertens being more relaxed in crunch situations this year. He had a ton of pressure last year with all the starters returning from a 10-1 season and the school's first year of playoff eligibility...big expectations and he crumbled under the pressure. This year he has a season under his belt and much less pressure. I think he'll improve at the end of games in big time situations which should mean at least a few more wins.

OldBison
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I think Haynes and Kuhtz will show us something positive.

Kuhtz didn't even sniff the three deep roster on a very poor FBS team, I doubt he will make a meaningful contribution at a top notch FCS team.

Word on the Wyo fan blog is that Kuhtz didn't partake of winter workouts in 07-08 and he went back to WI during the summer of 08 and didn't participate in summer conditioning. Doesn't sound like a dedicated athlete to me.

Besides, he played QB and CB in HS, has never played LB, his current position. Not only does he have a lot to learn, I doubt he has the natural ability to play a physical style of football NDSU requires from their LBs. Big difference between a HS CB and a NDSU LB, big difference.

SDbison
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it will come down to Mertens being more relaxed in crunch situations this year. He had a ton of pressure last year with all the starters returning from a 10-1 season and the school's first year of playoff eligibility...big expectations and he crumbled under the pressure. This year he has a season under his belt and much less pressure. I think he'll improve at the end of games in big time situations which should mean at least a few more wins.
I think most Bison fans, including me, have little or no confidence in Mertens. Please Craig, get a capable FBS transfer for next season......we all can't take another year of Mertens.

WYOBISONMAN
04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I have to agree. After Mertens lackluster performance last year, I am not at all excited to watch him this year. That being said, the biggest problem we have is at kicker. Bibeau cost us several wins last year by failing to deliver in important situations where the kicks should have been made, situations where even a mediocre kicker would have got the job done. Bibeau should not even dress for a game this year.

HandoEX
04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I have to agree. After Mertens lackluster performance last year, I am not at all excited to watch him this year. That being said, the biggest problem we have is at kicker. Bibeau cost us several wins last year by failing to deliver in important situations where the kicks should have been made, situations where even a mediocre kicker would have got the job done. Bibeau should not even dress for a game this year.

Mertens big problem was that he crumbled. He would look decent all game and then force horrible passes at the ends of games. Take away 3-4 of those (5) game ending int's away to end our losses and he had a really nice year.
*EDIT
I hope I don't sound like a Mertens backer because I am not in any way, shape or form.

Bibeau cost us one win...SDSU. The only other loss we had where he missed one was YSU. We definately need better kicking though.

cvbison1
04-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Okay gentlemen, time to stop crying. Will we be a 1 or 2 loss team this season....Doubful.....will we be a playoff contending team....Probable.

Mertens will have a much better year coming off of a pressure packed 08 season. He will settle down and the coaches will use his skills better. The biggest problem in my eyes was the O-line.

Give the guy a chance. See what he can do with Perles gone.

CaBisonFan
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I think most Bison fans, including me, have little or no confidence in Mertens. Please Craig, get a capable FBS transfer for next season......we all can't take another year of Mertens.

The only way that I want to see Mertens on the field is if Brent Vigen installs an offense that resembles what we did during the first half against SDSU. Nick was much more relaxed and confident. He actually looked like he had some competitive fire. Confidence...and comfort in the offense.

It was a 'run first...past second' offense for Nick. Add an option, quite a bit of shotgun, and then I'll feel better.

Otherwise...get Jose on the field early and go with him...unless a miracle happens with a top-notch FBS transfer. I'm losing hope in that regard. I think that Jose Mohler will turn heads with his ability to run our offense. Size is not much of a factor in this kind of offense. It was designed for less physical QBs.

tjbison
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Okay gentlemen, time to stop crying. Will we be a 1 or 2 loss team this season....Doubful.....will we be a playoff contending team....Probable.

Mertens will have a much better year coming off of a pressure packed 08 season. He will settle down and the coaches will use his skills better. The biggest problem in my eyes was the O-line.

Give the guy a chance. See what he can do with Perles gone.

they did 11 games worth!!:hide:

cvbison1
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
they did 11 games worth!!:hide:

Trust me, i agree last year was a DISASTER for Nick. But it's a new year with a new O-coord. He has nothing to lose because it can't get any worse than last year. He'll be much improved. We have a great coaching staff.

TransAmBison
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I didn't really see a problem with Perles. He didn't script plays where the ball was supposed to go directly to a defender. I doubt he told Bibeau to kick low, really low, maybe even to the right.

Tatanka
04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I didn't really see a problem with Perles. He didn't script plays where the ball was supposed to go directly to a defender. I doubt he told Bibeau to kick low, really low, maybe even to the right.

Are you suggesting that Perles didn't teach the three second pre pass stare down either? Blasphemy!

TransAmBison
04-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Are you suggesting that Perles didn't teach the three second pre pass stare down either? Blasphemy!
He may have taught the run 5 to 8 yards and fumble. It is a pretty good play, except for the fumble.*

*Still haven't figured out why they want a fumble at the end of the play. Must be a field position thing.

bisonmike2
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Ok, great responses guys, I'm finding them very entertaining but I'll be a little serious. True Perles didn't script the 5 step drop then pass into double coverage and he didn't instruct the o-line to block for 2 seconds then fall down but it's also true that he didn't call for any plays that got Nick mobile to take advantage of his running abilities. And by the end of the season the offense was as predictable as 1st down - run, 2nd down- run, 3rd down - 5 yard out pass (then if it wasn't picked off), 4th down - punt. I'm sure much of that came from the fact that the coaching staff had no real backup to Nick and that if he was going to get hurt we were really going to be screwed. I really think this year we will be able to open things up a lot more now that we have more options at QB. Nick in the first half of the SDSU game was great, he was rolling out, was mobile, took off with the ball. It gave our offense a whole new dimension we didn't see all year. In the second half of that game, the play calling got tight and we saw the old Nick come back. I was one of the biggest Nick bashers there was last year but a couple of month's away from football has been good for me to sit back and see that last years problems aren't' entirely Nick's. He's not going to be Walker this fall but I would also bet that he's not going to be the old Nick either.

NDSU1980
04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm reserving judgment on the new season until I see who is playing at QB. If it's Mertens, it's over before it even starts. I'm assuming we have a good replacement for Bibeau, so that position is covered.

Given the pathetic performance by Mertens last season, I see no hope for the guy. Lets move forward and win with someone else.

bisonmike2
04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm reserving judgment on the new season until I see who is playing at QB. If it's Mertens, it's over before it even starts. I'm assuming we have a good replacement for Bibeau, so that position is covered.

Given the pathetic performance by Mertens last season, I see no hope for the guy. Lets move forward and win with someone else.

I've already accepted the fact that we get Mertens. I'm just trying to be as positive as possible before the season starts because I'm not sure how positive I'll be once it begins.:hide:

lost in Fargo
04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I think we will be very strong at the TE position. I just hope that we use the double tight formation. In my opinion we went away from it last year and it hurt. Brown is a great blocker and has proven to be able to run routes and catch the ball. Veldman had a solid year and should be improved as a blocker. Hines should be able to see some reps as well. We have plenty of young guys that should step. When we went double tight we we're able to run on anyone. When we run the ball well we can pass when we want to and not when we have to, and stop teams from sending the house. We need to use the play action pass more. This should take alot of pressure off of Nick. It will also make teams play 7 in the box to stop the run and make easier reads for Nick.
When we went 20-2 over the 06 - 07 season we ran double tight 40-50% of the time. Walker was a hell of a quarterback and was the product of a great system. I'm not sure Steve would have been as dominating in the spread offense. We have the studs to control the line of scrimmage again this year. By the looks of our recruiting (TE's), I would venture to say that is how Vigen feels. Considering Vigen was a TE he will work them back into the game plan. :banghead:

SDbison
04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I've already accepted the fact that we get Mertens. I'm just trying to be as positive as possible before the season starts because I'm not sure how positive I'll be once it begins.:hide:
Starting Mertens in 2009 = another crap season
No matter what you say to justify giving Mertens another chance he just doesn't have it. If he is the only choice expect a 5-6 or 6-5 season.

Grizzled
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I think we will be very strong at the TE position. I just hope that we use the double tight formation. In my opinion we went away from it last year and it hurt. Brown is a great blocker and has proven to be able to run routes and catch the ball. Veldman had a solid year and should be improved as a blocker. Hines should be able to see some reps as well. We have plenty of young guys that should step. When we went double tight we we're able to run on anyone. When we run the ball well we can pass when we want to and not when we have to, and stop teams from sending the house. We need to use the play action pass more. This should take alot of pressure off of Nick. It will also make teams play 7 in the box to stop the run and make easier reads for Nick.
When we went 20-2 over the 06 - 07 season we ran double tight 40-50% of the time. Walker was a hell of a quarterback and was the product of a great system. I'm not sure Steve would have been as dominating in the spread offense. We have the studs to control the line of scrimmage again this year. By the looks of our recruiting (TE's), I would venture to say that is how Vigen feels. Considering Vigen was a TE he will work them back into the game plan. :banghead:

Agreed. I think this is the main formation we got away from a lot last year from years past. We used to come out in double tight and put one in motion and either run or run a lot of bootlegs off that. Jangula to the flats, TE over the top, another one dragging across the field, reciever deep. I loved that. Walker picked that apart. Now you run that with Mertens having the option to tuck it and its something he can work with. I know its only one play but use the run to set up others like this and take some pressure off of him. Also, don't forget about the Smith kid. He may be a little shorter than the rest but I feel he was possibly the best blocker of the bunch, may also be one of the fastest. He did stretch the field in last years spring game for a few nice catches. Also, Vetter from Minot will be interesting. He is a solid athlete and a strong kid. A year redshirting could have only helped him. Needless to say we are stacked at that spot and need to use the talent we have there.

SDbison
04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Agreed. I think this is the main formation we got away from a lot last year from years past. We used to come out in double tight and put one in motion and either run or run a lot of bootlegs off that. Jangula to the flats, TE over the top, another one dragging across the field, reciever deep. I loved that. Walker picked that apart. Now you run that with Mertens having the option to tuck it and its something he can work with. I know its only one play but use the run to set up others like this and take some pressure off of him. Also, don't forget about the Smith kid. He may be a little shorter than the rest but I feel he was possibly the best blocker of the bunch, may also be one of the fastest. He did stretch the field in last years spring game for a few nice catches. Also, Vetter from Minot will be interesting. He is a solid athlete and a strong kid. A year redshirting could have only helped him. Needless to say we are stacked at that spot and need to use the talent we have there.
Yeah, but you forgot:

Grizzled
04-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but you forgot:

I may have left that out.:)

lost in Fargo
04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I heard that Smith was being moved to a fullback this year?

johnson
04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Kuhtz didn't even sniff the three deep roster on a very poor FBS team, I doubt he will make a meaningful contribution at a top notch FCS team.

Word on the Wyo fan blog is that Kuhtz didn't partake of winter workouts in 07-08 and he went back to WI during the summer of 08 and didn't participate in summer conditioning. Doesn't sound like a dedicated athlete to me.

Besides, he played QB and CB in HS, has never played LB, his current position. Not only does he have a lot to learn, I doubt he has the natural ability to play a physical style of football NDSU requires from their LBs. Big difference between a HS CB and a NDSU LB, big difference.

Sounds like he was homesick. I hope he wasn't participating because homesickness played a role. I know I read that one of the reasons he was transferring to NDSU was because he wanted to be closer to home. Agreed he has a lot to learn at LB. But he must be a pretty good athlete if thats where they think he can contribute. I haven't heard a thing about him while he has been at NDSU. I wonder if he has become focused now that he is at NDSU.

4mcruenomore
04-02-2009, 03:16 AM
OK, after reading thru the thread again, I have to agree. Starting Mertens = Crap season. Seriously, like someone else said he had 11 chances (11 games). I'm not about to give him more chances. We need to figure this whole QB thing out or forget this season. sorry

WYOBISONMAN
04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I heard that Smith was being moved to a fullback this year?

Maybe we can get them to move Bibeau and Mertens to team managers....;)

CaBisonFan
04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
This is totally out of character for me...but I'm seriously thinking that a .500 season could be on the way. Too many unsettled issues on both sides of the ball.

And if it ends up that way...it will be Bohl's last year. The program will turn over. I hope that I'm wrong.

JacksFan06
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Most seem to not want to play Merten's this year, so I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about Moehler? Has he looked good in practice, I assume by his size that he is pretty mobile?

mebisonII
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Most seem to not want to play Merten's this year, so I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about Moehler? Has he looked good in practice, I assume by his size that he is pretty mobile?

Frustrating part to everyone I think...no one seems to no anything about him (except lakes, of course, who helped his mother birth him). Right now this is all most of us see:

?

*see, its a giant question mark lined up under the center...

:P

bisonhusker
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I spoke with a WR that graduated last year, and he said that Jose was pretty damn good in practice and VERY elusive. He is REALLY quick in the pocket and has a very strong arm. I am not sure why he isn't getting alot more talk. One full year in the system. I think he seems to have that swagger that you want in a qb.

If Nick could avoid the turnovers (which he couldn't last year), he would have been solid. His stats are very good in comparison to the rest of the conference, but you simply cannot turn the ball over. Plus, he turned it over to END almost every game. The defense kept us in everything...but he turned it over to end the game every single time.

This is why Spring practice is so important!!! I am hoping for a great open tryout.

cvbison1
04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I spoke with a WR that graduated last year, and he said that Jose was pretty damn good in practice and VERY elusive. He is REALLY quick in the pocket and has a very strong arm. I am not sure why he isn't getting alot more talk. One full year in the system. I think he seems to have that swagger that you want in a qb.

If Nick could avoid the turnovers (which he couldn't last year), he would have been solid. His stats are very good in comparison to the rest of the conference, but you simply cannot turn the ball over. Plus, he turned it over to END almost every game. The defense kept us in everything...but he turned it over to end the game every single time.

This is why Spring practice is so important!!! I am hoping for a great open tryout.

who is the WR?

BisonNeil
04-03-2009, 12:54 AM

It's spelled Mohler.

He should be mobile, HS film suggests he is. He'd better be, at a listed 5'11", which is more like 5'10" since 6'1" Mertens absolutely towers over him, he doesn't have many other physical attributes other than a strong arm. I am expecting a lot of passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage during his tenure at QB.

NDSU1980
04-03-2009, 02:02 AM
It's spelled Mohler.

He should be mobile, HS film suggests he is. He'd better be, at a listed 5'11", which is more like 5'10" since 6'1" Mertens absolutely towers over him, he doesn't have many other physical attributes other than a strong arm. I am expecting a lot of passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage during his tenure at QB.

Better to have a few of Mohler's passes knocked down then have all of "Morse" Mertens' passes telegraphed and intercepted.

56BISON73
04-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Better to have a few of Mohler's passes knocked down then have all of "Morse" Mertens' passes telegraphed and intercepted.

That was pretty good!!!!!!!:D

BisonNeil
04-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Good one! I think it could stick.

4mcruenomore
04-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Sounds like a perfect west coast QB. Jeff Garcia is awesome, and he isn't very tall either, very under rated. Everyone wants some kind of Vick run around QB with all these mad physical skills at QB.

Gully
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm very excited for the new season even though I don't have great expectations. We could have anywhere from 5 to 9 regular season wins the way I see it. I think the defense will be good enough to keep us in the game against anyone we'll play and if we get some QB play and some WRs step up we could be very good. In addition to QB and WR I'm also a little concerned about safety.....not sure what we have coming back there. In my opinion, the secondary hasn't been nearly as good since Craig Dahl graduated, he was really a difference maker, even more han Joe Mays I think.

Jdubs21
04-04-2009, 05:59 PM
If we can get atleast mediocre production from our quarterback our offense will be fine...but after losing garza, maresh, humber and company...thats gonna be the deciding factor for this team....we all know were arent going to be an offensive machine this season, so our defense is really going to have to establish themselves

Bisonguy
04-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm more concerned about the OL. They absolutely looked horrid at times last year.

D should be just fine- the 'new' defensive coordinator only has national championships at the DII and DI-AA level, so he knows what it takes. LBs might take a drop in talent, but the DL could be the best and deepest we've seen.

NDSUstudent
04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
The defense has me excited, so much talent and with our scheme having a great defensive line can lead to a dominating defense.

As for the Mertens bashing, the O-line and recievers(besides Heck) didn't really tear it up last year. I still think his problems were magnified by the team's other problems(coaching, OL, WR's). If those areas improve I think he will improve as well, but if they don't it is going to be a struggle no matter who is at QB.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Sounds like a perfect west coast QB. Jeff Garcia is awesome, and he isn't very tall either, very under rated. Everyone wants some kind of Vick run around QB with all these mad physical skills at QB.

who's this vick guy you speak of????

:D

NDSUFan_Sav
04-04-2009, 07:49 PM
damnit i want to tailgate....last years 1st game was great skipped classes to go and have some drinks and grill great times!

cvbison1
04-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm very excited for the new season even though I don't have great expectations. We could have anywhere from 5 to 9 regular season wins the way I see it. I think the defense will be good enough to keep us in the game against anyone we'll play and if we get some QB play and some WRs step up we could be very good. In addition to QB and WR I'm also a little concerned about safety.....not sure what we have coming back there. In my opinion, the secondary hasn't been nearly as good since Craig Dahl graduated, he was really a difference maker, even more han Joe Mays I think.

wasn't our pass defense ranked #1 in the country last year?

Gully
04-04-2009, 09:30 PM

I don't know, was it? I guess I didn't look at any statistics, just going from memory and feeling at games. Perhaps winning so regularly the two prior years gives me a "halo" of good feeling about those Ds compared to last years.

Bisonguy
04-04-2009, 09:49 PM

#1 ranked pass defense because the rushing defense was ranked #49 and gave up nearly 20 pts/ game.

NDSU1980
04-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Good one! I think it could stick.

Thank you. I've been calling him "Morse" for a few months now. Name seems more then appropriate

JackJD
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM

I think I heard that stat -- at least part-way through the season. I know that NDSU's pass defense was #1 in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. The MVFC team-stat leaders, and NDSU's place, for 08 were:

TOTAL DEFENSE: #1 UNI; NDSU was #2;
PASS DEFENSE: #1 NDSU;
RUSHING DEFENSE: #1 UNI; NDSU was #4.
SCORING OFFENSE: #1 SDSU; NDSU was # 6.
SCORING DEFENSE: #1 UNI; NDSU was #4.
TOTAL OFFENSE: #1 SDSU; NDSU was #4.
RUSHING OFFENSE: #1 WIU; NDSU was #4.
PASS OFFENSE: #1 SDSU; NDSU was #6.
PASS EFFICIENCY: #1 SDSU; NDSU was #4.
PASS DEFENSE EFFICIENCY: #1 UNI; NDSU was #4.

Go here for full run-down on team stats including many more categories than those I set forth above, go the the MVFC site:
http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/confonly.htm

cvbison1
04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't know, was it? I guess I didn't look at any statistics, just going from memory and feeling at games. Perhaps winning so regularly the two prior years gives me a "halo" of good feeling about those Ds compared to last years.

yeah, not positive. but i'm pretty sure. i know what you mean though; about the halo. hope that new juco helps out

lakesbison
04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
hey jackjd. you Forgot 1 MVFC stat:

Biggest Jackass fans:

1. UNI
2. SDSU (hey, at least you aint #1!)
3. Southern Illinois.

JackJD
04-05-2009, 12:18 AM
lakes: I'm pleased you're not a Jackrabbit fan.

UTH
04-05-2009, 01:25 AM

You're really missing out.;)

56BISON73
04-05-2009, 01:54 AM

Actually most here wish he were.:D

rutlandbison
04-05-2009, 02:14 AM
He still hasen't come out of the closet yet.

JackJD
04-05-2009, 02:45 AM

Probably the worst thing said to me on Bisonville.

56BISON73
04-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Probably the worst thing said to me on Bisonville.

Sorry but we would just like someone else to be the object of his mis guided affection for awhile.:D

JackJD
04-05-2009, 03:04 AM
I understand. :)

BisoninNWMN
04-05-2009, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with lakes.....:blush:

........sure road-trips to a lot of Bison athletic events......

Gotta Earn It
04-06-2009, 04:05 AM

Tailgating will probably be the best part of your season. Anyone want to take a bet that you get beat by Indiana State?

coldspot
04-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Tailgating will probably be the best part of your season. Anyone want to take a bet that you get beat by Indiana State?

didnt know it was troll season this time of year. go back to your cave

Tatanka
04-06-2009, 04:19 AM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/asshole.jpg

begone, tool.

bisonmike2
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Required reading for all UNI football recruits.
http://breedink.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/coming-to-terms-with-mediocrity-thumbnail.jpg

Have you guys painted on your wall yet the huge accomplishment of yet again not winning a national title? Just wondering.

Bison Dan
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Actually you have to feel sorry for uni - Their home game with us was close to us having a home game. We had more people tailgating and having fun before and after the game. Their players will sh$t their pants when they come to the dome and see what a real home game consist of with real fans.

BisBison
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Actually you have to feel sorry for uni - Their home game with us was close to us having a home game. We had more people tailgating and having fun before and after the game. Their players will sh$t their pants when they come to the dome and see what a real home game consist of with real fans.

during one of our 4 home games? :( :hide:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-07-2009, 02:34 AM

Tailgating is about all we'll have going for us.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-07-2009, 02:42 AM

Why are we even talking about Mertens. He is a senior for pete's sake!!!! He has no future in our program. Why waste time on him? Start a freshman and let him develope. Mertens won't be here next year or the year after that. He serves no purpose. He should be a backup only.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-07-2009, 02:51 AM
No matter what you say to justify giving Mertens another chance he just doesn't have it. If he is the only choice expect a 5-6 or 6-5 season.

Unfortunately, I think your being overly optimistic........

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-07-2009, 02:59 AM
who's this vick guy you speak of????

:D

A dog fighter......I think. :D

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-07-2009, 03:03 AM
The defense has me excited, so much talent and with our scheme having a great defensive line can lead to a dominating defense.

As for the Mertens bashing, the O-line and recievers(besides Heck) didn't really tear it up last year. I still think his problems were magnified by the team's other problems(coaching, OL, WR's). If those areas improve I think he will improve as well, but if they don't it is going to be a struggle no matter who is at QB.

Really????? Seriously???? I would think it would be pretty hard to catch the ball when it is consistently thrown at your feet, over your head, or behind you. Yes, that's right, blame the receiver.........

NDSUstudent
04-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Really????? Seriously???? I would think it would be pretty hard to catch the ball when it is consistently thrown at your feet, over your head, or behind you. Yes, that's right, blame the receiver.........

I might sound a little like lakes here but our recievers were largely terrible, Heck was good but he was hampered with some injuries for a big chunk of the year. When he was out our lack of depth became very apparent. Hard to do much as a QB when your coach won't let you run and your recievers don't catch the balls you throw to them. Our recievers dropped some game changing passes, and in some games I think some struggled with just running the right routes. If you don't believe me I'd tell you to go watch the first half of the Indiana State game but hopefully any tape of that game was destroyed.

rutlandbison
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Why are we even talking about Mertens. He is a senior for pete's sake!!!! He has no future in our program. Why waste time on him? Start a freshman and let him develope. Mertens won't be here next year or the year after that. He serves no purpose. He should be a backup only.
People can sit here all they want and say that if Mertens starts we won't have a good season, but the thing is, he is going to start. He will be the starter no matter what. What happened with the "open" competition last year. I'm not saying I agree with it, i'm just saying that's the way it's going to be.
http://static3.filefront.com/images/gqrcnjwyke.jpg
CRIPES!!!!

OldBison
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I might sound a little like lakes here but our recievers were largely terrible, Heck was good but he was hampered with some injuries for a big chunk of the year. When he was out our lack of depth became very apparent.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. Mertens bad, well yes. But he didn't get much help either. I never saw so many dropped passes.

And if you needed any proof that there was a "lack of depth" at that position, then all you have to consider is that the Bison have a JUCO and a FBS transfer this season to shore up the WR position. I don't think Holloway and Williams are cutting it, they caught a grand total of 3 balls last year.

SDbison
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
People can sit here all they want and say that if Mertens starts we won't have a good season, but the thing is, he is going to start. He will be the starter no matter what. What happened with the "open" competition last year. I'm not saying I agree with it, i'm just saying that's the way it's going to be.
http://static3.filefront.com/images/gqrcnjwyke.jpg
CRIPES!!!!
If what you say is true I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. If Merten starts and doesn't look like the second coming of...... well I am really going to know for sure that NDSU's coaching staf has a problem.....

rutlandbison
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
If what you say is true I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. If Merten starts and doesn't look like the second coming of...... well I am really going to know for sure that NDSU's coaching staf has a problem.....

So last year when they held an "open" competition for the QB spot who do you think had the inside shot to win it? Why did you throw up in your mouth, thats just sick to know. So, what would you do if somebody showed that they had the talent in practice and played better than somebody there or would you choose the person who didn't perform well in practice. But SD I agree with you. I'm not trying to pick a fight here. They shouldn't start him. Hopefully Jose can show us something.

SDbison
04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
So last year when they held an "open" competition for the QB spot who do you think had the inside shot to win it? Why did you throw up in your mouth, thats just sick to know. So, what would you do if somebody showed that they had the talent in practice and played better than somebody there or would you choose the person who didn't perform well in practice. But SD I agree with you. I'm not trying to pick a fight here. They shouldn't start him. Hopefully Jose can show us something.
And I likely agree with most of what you are saying. I really hope that the coaching staff does give Jose the benefit of the doubt even if he is a little behind on experience, maybe not as athletic, but shows the ability to make good decisions. Got to look out for the future of the program. I am just tired of what I saw in Mertens (and yes I know, others made mistakes too).

Mr. Burgundy
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I think out of all of the positions we recruited last year, we did the best at getting an amazing WR crew. We took in a transfer (not really a recruit), a JUCO, and a couple of amazing kids from HS. I think the talent of this position is going to dramatically change, and I think that will help whoever wins the QB job this year. Last year....well, it wasn't good enough at WR.

RunDMc34
04-08-2009, 05:47 AM
I think out of all of the positions we recruited last year, we did the best at getting an amazing WR crew. We took in a transfer (not really a recruit), a JUCO, and a couple of amazing kids from HS. I think the talent of this position is going to dramatically change, and I think that will help whoever wins the QB job this year. Last year....well, it wasn't good enough at WR.

Boy dont count me as one to disagree with Mr. Burgandy very often, but lets not forget that we are losing the #1 reciever in NDSU history. I mean we might have upgraded overall talent, but who is going to come in and contribute right away. If the transfer is a freakish athlete like i have heard, why didnt he get playing time at UCF? Is he a good route runner? What are his hands like? All I know is Heck bailed us out a bunch of times over his career and I dont think our overall recieving core next year will be any improved and we are going to lose our one go to guy that if you really need someone to make a play this is the guy you go to. Of course if the QB improves then maybe we can get a little more production out of the WR.

17>1
04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
And when it was only Heck that got those make or break plays, then no one else really had that chance to step up. Maybe Shulty can be the man this year. Seems like every time he touches the ball, good things happen.

56BISON73
04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Boy dont count me as one to disagree with Mr. Burgandy very often, but lets not forget that we are losing the #1 reciever in NDSU history. I mean we might have upgraded overall talent, but who is going to come in and contribute right away. If the transfer is a freakish athlete like i have heard, why didnt he get playing time at UCF? Is he a good route runner? What are his hands like? All I know is Heck bailed us out a bunch of times over his career and I dont think our overall recieving core next year will be any improved and we are going to lose our one go to guy that if you really need someone to make a play this is the guy you go to. Of course if the QB improves then maybe we can get a little more production out of the WR.

Some teams have an over abundance of talent at certain positions and dont get playing time. There are teams that have 2cnd and 3 teamers that could start anywhere given the opportunity.

Ferd
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I have faith in Bohl.

With a new Off Coord he'll be a little more involved than he was in the decision making last year.

I'm sure ALL of the coaches want to field the BEST talent at all positions. I don't think any position is a "gimme."

RunDMc34
04-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Some teams have an over abundance of talent at certain positions and dont get playing time. There are teams that have 2cnd and 3 teamers that could start anywhere given the opportunity.

Yeah i call teams like that Florida not Central Florida.

I was more just saying I dont expect us to be any better at WR than we were last year.

unbison
04-09-2009, 01:46 AM
So you are saying we can look forward to lots of dropped passes

AEBison1998
04-09-2009, 01:56 AM
I dont expect us to be any better at WR than we were last year.

You might be right here, because Heck was such a good player. But this might also be one of those things where the total is different than the sum of the parts. Last year we had one superstar and then it dropped off quick. Defenses could then key on Heck. If we have two or three guys who are a threat, even if none are as good as Heck, it might make things more open for everyone.

It has to be a HUGE deal to get this Haynes guy for spring football. Receiver takes time to learn the reads and get on the same page as the QB.

56BISON73
04-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah i call teams like that Florida not Central Florida.

I was more just saying I dont expect us to be any better at WR than we were last year.
Hmmmm how do you know UCF didnt have that problem? Dont let the names fool you. As a matter of fact I believe UCF is the 5th largest university in the US.

EagleBison
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM

Tailgating and discussing 8 championships during a down year is much better than tailgating and having no championships to discuss. :nod:

Heck even UND has a championship. :D

DjKyRo
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I for one am excited. I think we won't necessarily have a tremendously successful year, but I think with Mertens having last year under his belt (or perhaps buried in the backyard and forgotten) he'll go into Spring and summer knowing where he has to improve and with what mindset he needs to go into high-pressure situations. As much as we lost at some key positions, we're gaining a ton too, mostly at RB imo.

I think we have the formula for a good year, all we need now is a catalyst.

Bison D. Fan
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I for one am excited. I think we won't necessarily have a tremendously successful year, but I think with Mertens having last year under his belt (or perhaps buried in the backyard and forgotten) he'll go into Spring and summer knowing where he has to improve and with what mindset he needs to go into high-pressure situations. As much as we lost at some key positions, we're gaining a ton too, mostly at RB imo.

I think we have the formula for a good year, all we need now is a catalyst.

I would like to think that last year is truly buried in the backyard and forgotten, but too many people insist on digging up bones and continuing to chew on them... I too am exicted and look forward to another Bison season and will continue to back the team Bohl puts on the field

Hippy Stick
04-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Like, 4-7, man.

:hide:

G-city Bison Fan
04-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Yeah I am not quite as paranoid as the stick above, but if we go .500 I will be impressed.

Bisonguy
04-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Unfortunately, I can realistically see 5-6. I hope I'm wrong.

NDSUstudent
04-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Should Win...
Wagner
ISU Red
MSU
@ISU Blue
YSU

Toss-Up
@SHSU
@SIU
UNI
@SDSU
@WIU

Looking Sketchy
@Iowa State

Prediction....7-4 maybe 8-3

The season sets up a lot like like last year with 5 or 6 winnable games followed by a ton of games that could go either way.

99Bison
04-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Not sure about SHSU being tougher than some of the MV teams... Although being game two, certainly could be.

Scooter1
04-21-2009, 02:29 AM
"If this team goes 5-6 I will be very pissed and someone should get fired." Scooter1 04/20/09

Bison bison
04-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Sure Wins: Wagner, Indiana State

Gottafugin Win: Missouri State, Youngstown State, Illinois State

Could Win: Western Illinois, Sam Houston, South Dakota State,

Probably Lose: Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Iowa State?

All games are certainly winnable. We that 'thing' that McFeely wrote about a couple of weeks ago.

All New Mertens: we win 7+

2008 Mertens Redoux: Losing season...

I really like the Vagner game. Wagner -> Der Ring des Nibelungen -> Kill the Rabbit -> #2 all-time bison song -> good pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDwDo_hTs2Q

Gotta Earn It
04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Sure Wins: Wagner, Indiana State

Gottafugin Win: Missouri State, Youngstown State, Illinois State

Could Win: Western Illinois, Sam Houston, South Dakota State,

Probably Lose: Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Iowa State?

All games are certainly winnable. We that 'thing' that McFeely wrote about a couple of weeks ago.

All New Mertens: we win 7+

2008 Mertens Redoux: Losing season...

I really like the Vagner game. Wagner -> Der Ring des Nibelungen -> Kill the Rabbit -> #2 all-time bison song -> good pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDwDo_hTs2Q

The MOST sensible fan I have seen on this site besides myself of course.

BadlandsBison
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
The MOST sensible fan I have seen on this site besides myself of course.

I can say with confidence you are also heaviest

Gotta Earn It
04-25-2009, 03:02 AM
What will happen in Fargo if you guys only get 6 wins AGAIN in the higher division?

tjbison
04-25-2009, 03:11 AM
What will happen in Fargo if you guys only get 6 wins AGAIN in the higher division?

i guess we will have to put up with your stupidity some more:banghead: :banghead:

UTH
04-25-2009, 03:43 AM
i guess we will have to put up with your stupidity some more:banghead: :banghead:

Responding to trolls only makes them relevant.:banghead: :banghead: Every time you people respond to someone like this, his relevance in the world and overall net worth increases. That means quite a bit to some who likely have nothing else going for them.

Only two options exist to solve this problem... 1. One swift swing of the banhammer. 2. EVERYONE ignore him and he will eventually go away.*

*a lot like milton - just take his stapler and 'fix the accounting problem' - it's all solved on our end:D

duluthbison
04-25-2009, 04:36 AM
http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/2408/banhammer15gq9.jpg

NDSUFan_Sav
04-25-2009, 08:02 AM

what will happen next year for UNI?? another missed opportunity of bringing a national title home....and bashing on teams fan boards for pleasure and trying to get that week old ketchup that fell on your stomach but you can't quite get to it but keep trying the fall off your chair.

AEBison1998
04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't care who you are...that there was funny.

BadlandsBison
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
What happened to Earnit's great picture of him and his wife?* I beleive it was a picture of those two on their honeymoon when Earnit was young and in great shape.

KilldeerBison
04-25-2009, 04:58 PM
What happened to Earnit's great picture of him and his wife?* I beleive it was a picture of those two on their honeymoon when Earnit was young and in great shape.

That wasn't his wife, it was him mom, still it was taken on their honeymoon. (Someone cue the Deliverance banjo music)

VandalayIndustries
04-26-2009, 11:05 PM
So Mertens had a bad year last year. Okay.
But not as bad as people make it sound.

Wyoming game NDSU controlled the game for the first 2 1/2 quarters. We had 3 third down passes (that i can remember) that were all catchable and the receivers dropped the pass. All three catchable balls keep the drives going.

Youngstown game NDSU put up 24 pts and still lost. Mertens had some intereceptions that were terrible, but more importantly to me was the defense gave up over 300 yards rushing. Mertens could have thrown 0 interceptions in that game, but if you give up 300 yards rushing... chances are you will probably lose.

Believe me, I think he threw way too many int's, but my point is he didn't have alot of help in the early games to gain confidence at the position (dropped passes killing drives), catches that were made in years previous.

The overwhelming concerns I have are two issues:

1. NDSU couldn't consistently stop the run.
2. NDSU couldn't consistently run the ball.

Steve Walker as great as a qb he was, always had a semblance of a running game to lean on. We didn't dominate in the running department last year as we have in the past, as a result Mertens suffered.

Believe me, Mertens hasn't proved to be the answer in the qb department as of yet, but I think if Mertens is the guy this year, that the season shouldn't be considered over before it starts.

Defensive line and Offensive line play are the keys this year.
Aren't they always?

Vandalay Industries

tjbison
04-26-2009, 11:13 PM
So Mertens had a bad year last year. Okay.
But not as bad as people make it sound.

Wyoming game NDSU controlled the game for the first 2 1/2 quarters. We had 3 third down passes (that i can remember) that were all catchable and the receivers dropped the pass. All three catchable balls keep the drives going.

Youngstown game NDSU put up 24 pts and still lost. Mertens had some intereceptions that were terrible, but more importantly to me was the defense gave up over 300 yards rushing. Mertens could have thrown 0 interceptions in that game, but if you give up 300 yards rushing... chances are you will probably lose.

Believe me, I think he threw way too many int's, but my point is he didn't have alot of help in the early games to gain confidence at the position (dropped passes killing drives), catches that were made in years previous.

The overwhelming concerns I have are two issues:

1. NDSU couldn't consistently stop the run.
2. NDSU couldn't consistently run the ball.

Steve Walker as great as a qb he was, always had a semblance of a running game to lean on. We didn't dominate in the running department last year as we have in the past, as a result Mertens suffered.

Believe me, Mertens hasn't proved to be the answer in the qb department as of yet, but I think if Mertens is the guy this year, that the season shouldn't be considered over before it starts.

Defensive line and Offensive line play are the keys this year.
Aren't they always?

Vandalay Industries

but having a QB that can handle pressure and know when to throw it away and not bomb it under distress to the opposite team is critical still!!;)

Gotta Earn It
04-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Responding to trolls only makes them relevant.:banghead: :banghead: Every time you people respond to someone like this, his relevance in the world and overall net worth increases. That means quite a bit to some who likely have nothing else going for them.

Only two options exist to solve this problem... 1. One swift swing of the banhammer. 2. EVERYONE ignore him and he will eventually go away.*

*a lot like milton - just take his stapler and 'fix the accounting problem' - it's all solved on our end:D

No I won't....

Gotta Earn It
04-27-2009, 01:31 AM
what will happen next year for UNI?? another missed opportunity of bringing a national title home....and bashing on teams fan boards for pleasure and trying to get that week old ketchup that fell on your stomach but you can't quite get to it but keep trying the fall off your chair.

Yes we might miss the National Championship game by another week this season. But we won't miss the playoffs. I will be here during the season, I will be in the Fargobuilding for the game.

BadlandsBison
04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes we might miss the National Championship game by another week this season. But we won't miss the playoffs. I will be here during the season, I will be in the Fargobuilding for the game.

Hey Ernit, I don't know if our garage door is big enough, but heck, you can try! Do you prefer a pallet for your fork-lift?

A1pigskin
04-28-2009, 12:38 AM
My biggest concern is QB. However, IMO Mertens will come out and be better this year.

DjKyRo
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
My biggest concern is QB. However, IMO Mertens will come out and be better this year.

If I could sneak in one last Mertens-bash, he could hardly do a whole heck of a lot worse. That said, I agree, I think he'll show a lot more composure this time around.

VanClubPres
04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I hear that they are working on a new play.

It is a fake 32 rush, qb pitch back, punt on first down......and let the defense do the rest.

BadlandsBison
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Where's Ernit been? Did he fall down again?