PDA

View Full Version : A Basketball school?

90 BISON
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Traditionally we have been a football school. After just one dance, however a lot more interest has been shown in basketball (as it should be). Along with a lot more national attention. In ten years will we be more of a football or a basketball school?

TransAmBison
03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Traditionally we have been a football school. After just one dance, however a lot more interest has been shown in basketball (as it should be). Along with a lot more national attention. In ten years will we be more of a football or a basketball school?
In my uneducated opinion, we will always be a football school first. Now, if we could get players like we had year in and year out, they could fill the gap, but we will have to wait and see.

OrygunBison
03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
If you'd have asked me this when I was in school in the late 80's / early 90's, I would have laughed at you. Back then, I went to more women's games than men's games... and I never missed a home football game in those 6 years. I am still shocked at the transformation in the basketball program and, honestly, to my reaction to it. I have totally been into Bison Basketball for the last 3 months or so.

National exposure gives basketball the edge over FCS football in my disgruntled opinion. One great season like we've had can do wonders for recruiting and continue to build on a great thing.

NDSUstudent
03-24-2009, 01:08 AM
If a new basketball arena gets built this could be a very interesting question in 10 years.

BisBison
03-24-2009, 01:12 AM
If a new basketball arena gets built this could be a very interesting question in 10 years.

Not if when. The arena will get built, just a question of when, And probably sooner than you think. We'll get there, we always do. Remember we're BISON!

NDSUstudent
03-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Not if when. The arena will get built, just a question of when, And probably sooner than you think. We'll get there, we always do. Remember we're BISON!

Well, I like your attitude, I'm just getting a little impatient. I don't want to see this golden window of opportunity be wasted.

99Bison
03-24-2009, 01:50 AM
If resources are put to it yes, it can become basketball equal or greater.

What basketball has going for it, is that it is at the highest level of competition already and it is a widely popular sport. Now, if football went FBS, then both could have equal opportunity.

BisBison
03-24-2009, 02:08 AM
If resources are put to it yes, it can become basketball equal or greater.

What basketball has going for it, is that it is at the highest level of competition already and it is a widely popular sport. Now, if football went FBS, then both could have equal opportunity.

Football going FBS wouldn't help a bit. IMO a top level FCS team is better than an also ran conference such as the MAC. I'd rather have the playoffs.

silkamilkamonico
03-24-2009, 04:43 AM
It will never happen, but I would LOVE for NDSU to be a heavy slanted basketball school.

tony
03-24-2009, 12:37 PM
It will never happen, but I would LOVE for NDSU to be a heavy slanted basketball school.

Why not? Basketball has to be the most popular high school sport in North Dakota.

Not that I think it matters, it's not like people can't be diehard fans of both since football and basketball - it's not like the seasons overlap. In fact, I'd say the success in basketball can only help football and vice versa. And NDSU is destined to become a track school anyway. :)

BTW, I think one of the reasons that some alumni, like myself, are so wary about adding hockey is that it doesn't really complement other sports. Its ridiculously long six-month season overlaps both football and basketball - and, it may just be a bias here, but it seems like hockey supporters view every other dime spent on any other activity, including education, as wasted money - I've seen it in high schools, park boards, and colleges. Hehe, now I duck and cover. :hide:

BisonAccountant44
03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I don't think there is any reason why we can't be a "basketball school." Honestly, in 10 years, I EXPECT our basketball program to at least be on par with the likes of SIU and UNI (I would LOVE to be full MVC members by then too, but that's another topic (and also another reason I agree with Unbison's sig line. This years team will always be a group of Bison legends because of what they've accomplished, but if they're the greatest ever, we may as well take our ball and go home. I only want this program to go up.)). The difference between us and those schools, if last years football trip to UNI is any indication, is that we won't be forced into being though of locally as a basketball ONLY school because of other local FBS programs.

That's not to say anything derogatory about the UNI (or SIU) football program, it's a great program, but after being there, their fans just didn't seam to have the enthusiasm for the football program that we did when we were there. I got the impression that they loved their UNI basketball, but during football season, you either go to Ames or Iowa City, and going to a Panther game is the 2nd choice, as was evidenced in the tailgating lot.

SIU I would assume is the same with UI, NIU, and even EIU having in-state FBS programs, but I really can't say that for sure until after this years trip to Carbondale.

SDbison
03-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I think basketball will grow in popularity and NDSU football may level off with a peak here and there when in FCS playoffs. The fact that the fargodome is now limiting the number of football fans could hurt the dominance of football. Of course, if basketball takes off quickly and only a 6000 seat facility is built that could also throttle its growth.
To keep football as #1 NDSU will need to look into moving to FBS. It is going to happen (my guess is within the next 10 years). Hopefully it will be part of the next phase of growth for the university. I just believe it is time the Dakota's are represented at the highest level of football (also don't believe SDSU or UND could make the move anytime within the next 10 years). I won't be surprised if Montana makes the move to FBS in the next 5 years.

TheDoctor
03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
The non sports answer is that Tailgating plays a HUGE role in the popularity of football. You just can't do that in North Dakota during basketball season. While the posters on here are die-hard and truely love the football, alot of the football enthusiests are enthused because of the alure of an afternoon of tailagting before a 6pm football game on a Saturday night. As much as I freely admitt that I love basketball more than football, these non game related issues are real. ;)

Bison bison
03-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree. The football team could fall off a cliff in terms of performance and I bet there'd still be 4,000 people tailgating before a game against a D2 team.

At the same time, if a new arena was built and booze was served (even in controlled areas), I bet attendance at men's basketball would increase 50% (ie near sell-out for a cafegymatorium).

Bison101
03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree. The football team could fall off a cliff in terms of performance and I bet there'd still be 4,000 people tailgating before a game against a D2 team.

At the same time, if a new arena was built and booze was served (even in controlled areas), I bet attendance at men's basketball would increase 50% (ie near sell-out for a cafegymatorium).

The thing about Basketball is that we can compete on a national level with all of the big boys. Whereas in football, we can only compete in the FCS ranks.

CaBisonFan
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM

IMO...we will have both.

lakesbison
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Scheels made millions of NDSU going D1, and the NCAA run and Gopher football games.

just pony up the $15million already, dammit!!

then put BEER SALES IN THE FARGODOME for fball and bball.

THEN it'll be sold out every freakin' game! cmon JOE CHAPMAN!!

BisBison
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Scheels made millions of NDSU going D1, and the NCAA run and Gopher football games.

just pony up the $15million already, dammit!!

You're pretty good at spending other people's money Lakes. Do you have any idea as to how many t-shirts Sheels would have to sell to net $15,000,000.00?

lakesbison
03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
$5 PROFIT?? HMMM 3,000,000 TSHIRTS over 30 years, cuz you KNOW it'll be financed for 30 years.

300,000 tshirts a year.. there you go!

yes. that's what scheels makes after hometown CI makes them.

devin45k
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Why dont we sell any alcoholic beverages at games? It would get more people to come to the games. I mean, the fans that arent dedicated to the Bison but cheer for them.

unbison
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
the donations wont be financed lakes.... that is the up front money they need to get the ball rolling!
Side note lakes...... get you ass out there and do something...... your motormouth aint gonna keep the flood waters away..... side note how do u figure they make 5$ a tshirt

BisBison
03-24-2009, 11:45 PM
$5 PROFIT?? HMMM 3,000,000 TSHIRTS over 30 years, cuz you KNOW it'll be financed for 30 years.

300,000 tshirts a year.. there you go!

yes. that's what scheels makes after hometown CI makes them.

I think the requested pledge is over 15 years. Nevertheless I concurr Let's get it done. THe BSA is tired, it needs a facelift and a new mission, and we need a new arena.

devin45k
03-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I think the requested pledge is over 15 years. Nevertheless I concurr Let's get it done. THe BSA is tired, it needs a facelift and a new mission, and we need a new arena.

We need an arena with seats instead of bleachers and better lighting

roadwarrior
03-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Calling out someone because they don't give money for the arena is just plain wrong. Nobody has an obligation to give the money.

An estimated 10,000 NDSU fans were at last friday's game in Minneapolis and the tickets for that session only were at a minimum $60. Right there is a $600,000 payment towards the arena. 4% of what is needed, just from the money the fans spent on one game.

Somehow NDSU is going to get this arena project done.

BisBison
03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Calling out someone because they don't give money for the arena is just plain wrong. Nobody has an obligation to give the money.

An estimated 10,000 NDSU fans were at last friday's game in Minneapolis and the tickets for that session only were at a minimum $60. Right there is a $600,000 payment towards the arena. 4% of what is needed, just from the money the fans spent on one game.

Good point road, if we could get a list of everyone who was at the game and put the ask on them for a match we've got a pretty good start.

lakesbison
03-25-2009, 01:03 AM
ROAD... SURE>. I AGREE WITH YOU.

BUT im calling out scheels, cuz this should be done by now, its ridiculous, now WOODY and boys are gone and the momentum they had going for NDSU.

SELL BEER. that's how UW-GB got their's through. BIG MONEY!

MontBison
03-25-2009, 03:43 AM
I think basketball will grow in popularity and NDSU football may level off with a peak here and there when in FCS playoffs. The fact that the fargodome is now limiting the number of football fans could hurt the dominance of football. Of course, if basketball takes off quickly and only a 6000 seat facility is built that could also throttle its growth.
To keep football as #1 NDSU will need to look into moving to FBS. It is going to happen (my guess is within the next 10 years). Hopefully it will be part of the next phase of growth for the university. I just believe it is time the Dakota's are represented at the highest level of football (also don't believe SDSU or UND could make the move anytime within the next 10 years). I won't be surprised if Montana makes the move to FBS in the next 5 years.

Sorry but the might be one of the most ludacris things I have ever herd. We will never move to FBS end of story.

I must agree with Lakes, Scheels really needs to step up on this one. Lets see they waste there money on a sofa king dumb farris wheel where as "Scheel's Center" would actually be good for advertising. You can't tell me their not making bank on NDSU. It's time for them to step it up, and that time is now.

lakesbison
03-25-2009, 03:51 AM
Lets face it.

Scheels owners.

Stop N Go.

R D O

AND

Theraldson's ARE ALL GETTING OLDER & OLDER, all 4 of them, Why wouldn't they want to CEMENT their legacy and name in an Arena!!

$5 Million Each, $20 Million total!!

skolbrother
03-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Lets face it.

Scheels owners.

Stop N Go.

R D O

AND

Theraldson's ARE ALL GETTING OLDER & OLDER, all 4 of them, Why wouldn't they want to CEMENT their legacy and name in an Arena!!

$5 Million Each, $20 Million total!!

Because it is their money and apparently they do not want you spending it for them. Perhaps you should start the ball rolling and write a check for 10% of your net worth. Btw, some have heirs.

MontBison
03-25-2009, 04:20 AM
You guys clearly have not a brain cell when it comes to this subject matter. Lakes is 100% correct, believe me someone will step up and foot a lot of the cost, but I wouldn't bet on the whole thing.

BisBison
03-25-2009, 04:29 AM
You guys clearly have not a brain cell when it comes to this subject matter. Lakes is 100% correct, believe me someone will step up and foot a lot of the cost, but I wouldn't bet on the whole thing.

Never said someone isn't going to step up. As a matter of fact I think if you look at my previous posts I have predicted it. I just haven't demanded $$ from specific people like some on here.

SDbison
03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry but the might be one of the most ludacris things I have ever herd. We will never move to FBS end of story.

I must agree with Lakes, Scheels really needs to step up on this one. Lets see they waste there money on a sofa king dumb farris wheel where as "Scheel's Center" would actually be good for advertising. You can't tell me their not making bank on NDSU. It's time for them to step it up, and that time is now.
Sorry, you are the misinformed one. Both Gene and Joe have mentioned this in public during the transition. It was not a priority then, but as new goals are proposed a move to FBS will be considered. FCS is the old DII. No reason NDSU can't be like Boise State in 5 to 10 years. Obviously MontBison you don't understand the benefits of setting goals and achieving them. If Gene and Joe thought like you we would still be in DII hell and the successes in basketball and football against top notch competition would never had happened. Think before you post!

SDbison
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Hell, that entire trip without hotel room cost about $350 for one person if you include gas, meals, tickets for 2 of 3 sessions and concessions, etc. Easily could have gone to $500 with a couple t-shirt purchases and all 3 sessions. Add another $300 for a hotel if I didn't have relatives in the area. Those with flights had to have spent well over $1000.

bisonmike2
03-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Never? Really? It's been over 5 years since going D-1 and our support for all programs, not just football has been continually growing at a record pace. To say we'll never be able to go FBS in football may be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I am not saying we will be moving up soon or even that we will for sure but I won't dismiss it from ever happening. Cue the billy madision quote. I'm too lazy to look it up today.

lakesbison
03-25-2009, 04:21 PM
FBS in 5 years, please!!

WAC WAC WAC for bball and fball!!

Team WAC
W-L Overall
W-L
Boise State 8-0 12-1
Louisiana Tech 5-3 8-5
Nevada 5-3 7-6
Hawai‘i 5-3 7-7
Fresno State 4-4 7-6
San Jose State 4-4 6-6
Utah State 3-5 3-9
New Mexico State 1-7 3-9
Idaho 1-7 2-10

Football Extended Standings
All Standings

Team WAC
W-L Overall
W-L
Hawai‘i 15-1 31-4
New Mexico State 15-1 26-9
Idaho 11-5 19-10
Utah State 9-7 11-17
San Jose State 7-9 13-18
Nevada 7-9 12-17
Boise State 5-11 9-19
Fresno State 3-13 7-20
Louisiana Tech 0-16 4-24

Volleyball Extended Standings
All Standings

Team WAC
W-L-T-P Overall
W-L-T
Utah State 7-0-0-21 13-8-1
Fresno State 5-1-1-16 11-9-2
Hawai‘i 4-2-1-13 8-7-4
Boise State 3-3-1-10 11-8-2
San Jose State 2-4-1-7 5-11-4
Nevada 2-4-1-7 3-14-3
Louisiana Tech 0-3-4-4 10-5-5
Idaho 0-6-1-1 1-16-2

Soccer (W) Extended Standings
All Standings

Team WAC
W-L Overall
W-L
Fresno State 12-4 24-9
Louisiana Tech 12-4 21-13
Nevada 10-6 18-14
Idaho 10-6 13-15
Boise State 9-7 16-15
Utah State 9-7 16-15
New Mexico State 5-11 9-22
Hawai‘i 4-12 8-23
San Jose State 1-15 2-28

Basketball (W) Extended Standings
All Standings

Team WAC
W-L Overall
W-L
Utah State 14-2 30-5
Nevada 11-5 21-13
Boise State 9-7 19-13
New Mexico State 9-7 17-15
Idaho 9-7 17-16
Louisiana Tech 6-10 15-18
San Jose State 6-10 13-17
Hawai‘i 5-11 13-17
Fresno State

We can beat these TEAMS!!!

Herd
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Official Name of Arena: "Stop-n-Go to Scheels Arena"

I like the sound of that!

Herd
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Never? Really? It's been over 5 years since going D-1 and our support for all programs, not just football has been continually growing at a record pace. To say we'll never be able to go FBS in football may be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I am not saying we will be moving up soon or even that we will for sure but I won't dismiss it from ever happening. Cue the billy madision quote. I'm too lazy to look it up today.

Going to FBS (just going there), the bar is low. We could step into the top 80-90 of 119 teams very quickly.

But, you don't just want to go FBS, you want to go and be successful which costs money. Big difference going vs. going and being successful.

bisonmike2
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Going to FBS (just going there), the bar is low. We could step into the top 80-90 of 119 teams very quickly.

But, you don't just want to go FBS, you want to go and be successful which costs money. Big difference going vs. going and being successful.

True. But would you say we would never be successful at it if we did make the jump? I know that after what I've seen the past 5 years there is no way I'd count them out. I'm not saying winning national championships good but being a WAC or MAC champs good is very reasonable. Our fanbase would have to grow even more but to say we would or could never do it is ridiculous.

MontBison
03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Sorry, you are the misinformed one. Both Gene and Joe have mentioned this in public during the transition. It was not a priority then, but as new goals are proposed a move to FBS will be considered. FCS is the old DII. No reason NDSU can't be like Boise State in 5 to 10 years. Obviously MontBison you don't understand the benefits of setting goals and achieving them. If Gene and Joe thought like you we would still be in DII hell and the successes in basketball and football against top notch competition would never had happened. Think before you post!

Jesus Christ we can't even compete at the FCS level how do you expect us to at the FBS level. Did you enjoy watching our 6-5 season and let's take away the 2 previous years, then what do you have? If you do well then you have a great idea.

SDbison
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Jesus Christ we can't even compete at the FCS level how do you expect us to at the FBS level. Did you enjoy watching our 6-5 season and let's take away the 2 previous years, then what do you have? If you do well then you have a great idea.
Last seasons woes were caused by a less capable than expected offensive line and a poor QB. Don't get things mixed up. NDSU's support is in the range of FBS teams and will solidify in the coming years. One poor season in 5 means nothing.

WYOBISONMAN
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I think the fans will cough up more cash for the program after this Basketball season. How much is the difficult question. Maybe if the economy starts to improve the new arena will find funding.

MontBison
03-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Last seasons woes were caused by a less capable than expected offensive line and a poor QB. Don't get things mixed up. NDSU's support is in the range of FBS teams and will solidify in the coming years. One poor season in 5 means nothing.

You keep making your point better and better. Our so called "support" always seems to become less and less when the losses begin to mount, so perhaps you have an explanation for that. Did 7-4 satisfy you in 2005? Or was it the 8-3 record in 2004? Or maybe the 8-3 record in 2003? I don't know if you have noticed a common theme here but I believe we have 0 yes count them 0 playoff appearences the last 5 years and you want to go to FBS? Really? IMO basketball could be bigger, think about it were exactly 3 games away every year to have a repeat of what we just had.

BisonAccountant44
03-26-2009, 12:34 AM
You keep making your point better and better. Our so called "support" always seems to become less and less when the losses begin to mount, so perhaps you have an explanation for that. Did 7-4 satisfy you in 2005? Or was it the 8-3 record in 2004? Or maybe the 8-3 record in 2003? I don't know if you have noticed a common theme here but I believe we have 0 yes count them 0 playoff appearences the last 5 years and you want to go to FBS? Really? IMO basketball could be bigger, think about it were exactly 3 games away every year to have a repeat of what we just had.

You're going to base your not moving to FBS argument on us not making the playoffs in the last 5 years, when we were only eligible for playoffs in 1 of those years? Even when we were 10-1 for two of those seasons, 3-2 against FBS programs (could've easilly been 5-0), and were a two point conversion away from probably making the playoffs despite our anomaly of a season this year? Really?

There are perfctly good arguments on both sides of the move up or stay decision. I really am going to be happy, and will love and follow the Bison, either way. I do tend to lean slightly towards eventually moving up though because as SD has said, our state deserves to be represented in the highest level of college football.

If the move is made though, I think we may NEED to first become more of a basketball school. This may sound a little backwards, but I feel that in its own way, the basketball program will need to lead any future football transition to FBS, that is going to be successful on the level Bison fans would demand, by elevating the national status of our university to make recruiting, looking for donors, and everything else that would come with an FBS move far easier.

CaBisonFan
03-26-2009, 02:40 AM
IMO...a move to the FBS will come as a result of the Summit & Missouri Valley melding into one entity...and the potential momentum that would come from several schools within a conference that has all sports.

Translation: It's possible that the Missouri Valley Conference will include football someday...and if it does...then it may be strong enough to want to make the move with all of its schools. It's a complex thing because of the mixture of schools. I'd like to see it go that way eventually. Might not happen in my lifetime.

Football has been the money program and the identity at SU for so long that I doubt the emphasis will shift away from it in a year, 5 years, 10 yrs, etc. We're one year removed from having a legitimate #1 FCS caliber team. The current coaching staff will get it fixed...or they'll be packing. That's how football works at NDSU. I'm not saying that this staff needs to go...but I believe that they know they're under a microscope after what seemed like an unraveling last year. Actually it wasn't...but by Bison standards...well...it was. :nod:

But I still think that basketball...or any other sport...can flourish also. The arena is a 'must' for basketball. Recruits are attracted by facilities & crowds. The immediate impact of being in the Big Dance will definitely help funding & recruiting in the short-term...but the success has to be sustained. It won't be easy unless the flood-gates (pardon the expression) open for recruiting. We need a big man or two...and a couple of outstanding guards...yesterday.

Bison bison
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
who knows what might be down the road.

i'm very happy the bison are in the summit/missouri valley.

BisBison
03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
who knows what might be down the road.

i'm very happy the bison are in the summit/missouri valley.

Absolutely agree. I know the MVC is considered stronger than the Summit, but they also only got 1 in the dance and a 12 seed. We easily could have gotten a 13 seed were it not for the upsets in the big conference title games that got 3 or 4 extra entrants from those conferences. I think our chances of getting to the dance are easier in the Summit than in the MVC for now.

CaBisonFan
03-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Absolutely agree. I know the MVC is considered stronger than the Summit, but they also only got 1 in the dance and a 12 seed. We easily could have gotten a 13 seed were it not for the upsets in the big conference title games that got 3 or 4 extra entrants from those conferences. I think our chances of getting to the dance are easier in the Summit than in the MVC for now.

Agreed

The Summit is a good place for us.

90 BISON
03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
A new arena is a must if we are going to be able to get good recruits in B-Ball. We will also need good crowd support for recruits to want to play at NDSU.
If both of these occur recruiting should improve for the following reasons:

Most Minnesotans now know who we are after beating their Gophers in football and playing them in most other sports should help recruiting in Minn (not to mention the number of Bison Fans in the Twin Cities for the dance). The best ND recruits will see us as a viable option, people like Jeff Boschee, Brett Quale and Brian Quale will think twice before going out of state.

BisonBlogger
03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't understand the discussion. The goal for NDSU and for any school that tries to support a full range of athletic programs is for that school to try to dominate in all sports. Why be considered a football school?

The natural progression for a university like NDSU that is a new D1 program is to play other D1 programs in the region and develop competitiveness with these natural rivals first and then try to stay on even par with them by winning our share when we do get the chance. Natural rivals for recruits will be Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska etc.

If the University and its boosters support the teams financially to get to this point, then lets talk about moving into a major conference if a spot ever come available. Very difficult with football but not out of the realm of possibility with the other sports.

devin45k
03-30-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd like us to be a basketball school. In division 1 basketball, we are all at the same level. In division 1 fb, there is a stupid FBS and FCS division. My opinion would totally change to wanting to be a football school if we went FBS. That probably wont happen cuz most of the old timers dont want to go up a division and some still wish we were at the Division 2 level.

tjbison
03-31-2009, 01:02 AM
I'd like us to be a basketball school. In division 1 basketball, we are all at the same level. In division 1 fb, there is a stupid FBS and FCS division. My opinion would totally change to wanting to be a football school if we went FBS. That probably wont happen cuz most of the old timers dont want to go up a division and some still wish we were at the Division 2 level.

I would be willing to bet since we are in a conference, and have won the Summit already those people don't remember DII anymore if you asked them, they were against it because of no conference affiliation at first, but now will be able to see regular teams play every year in Fargo!

devin45k
03-31-2009, 02:00 AM
I would be willing to bet since we are in a conference, and have won the Summit already those people don't remember DII anymore if you asked them, they were against it because of no conference affiliation at first, but now will be able to see regular teams play every year in Fargo!

It's unreal what a person overhears sometimes. Ive heard a couple times of people wanting to be D2 still. THey all looked over 60 yrs old though.

NDSUstudent
03-31-2009, 02:11 AM
I know some people here are of the opinion that we are better off in the FCS but from a basketball perspective membership in the WAC or even the MAC would be a nice upgrade. Recruits typically like playing in the higher profile conferences and I think we could compete quite well in either of them. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Summit, just that it is possible a better situation could open up.

UTH
03-31-2009, 03:42 AM
It's unreal what a person overhears sometimes. Ive heard a couple times of people wanting to be D2 still. THey all looked over 60 yrs old though.

I have a friend who is a snake-in-the-grass supporter of the racist mascot. He lives in Bismarck and normally makes it to well over half of their home football games. He thinks that they* are making a HUGE mistake by leaving DII. Hey, this is living proof that not all of their fans are stupid.

*the fellers under the bunker

lakesbison
03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Is there a new dam arena yet? or did we just get all that national publicity and 4 years of woody and STILL no arena?

roadwarrior
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Name for the new arena: Sandbag Arena

SDbison
03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Name for the new arena: Sandbag Arena
Hey when all the Federal money comes rolling in for flood relief can Fargo do like Grand Forks and divert tens of millions to build a new Arena?

roadwarrior
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey when all the Federal money comes rolling in for flood relief can Fargo do like Grand Forks and divert tens of millions to build a new Arena?

Yes, as long as we don't tell Mike W what we are doing!

Hammersmith
03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, as long as we don't tell Mike W what we are doing!

Shhh! Everywon be verwy, verwy quiet.

[/Elmer Fudd]

TheDoctor
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

:rofl: :rofl: They also are excited about the curent mens team going to the tourney. They were excited that the mens team could finally contend for a National Championship like the women did in the 90's. I quickly inform them that winning two games is pretty much the ultimate goal. No chance of winning it all. They look at me like...you are kidding right...How do I explain to them making the sweet 16 is a bigger accomplishment nationally than winning back to back D2 national championships?? :rofl:

tjbison
03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
:rofl: :rofl: They also are excited about the curent mens team going to the tourney. They were excited that the mens team could finally contend for a National Championship like the women did in the 90's. I quickly inform them that winning two games is pretty much the ultimate goal. No chance of winning it all. They look at me like...you are kidding right...How do I explain to them making the sweet 16 is a bigger accomplishment nationally than winning back to back D2 national championships?? :rofl:

If you have to explain they wouldn't understand anyways!!!!