PDA

View Full Version : 2009-2010 Speculation

ndsubison1
03-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Well now the offseason begins... thoughts on next year? How will the Summit League look next year? What's in-store for the Bison next season?

Any insight on what we will do with our one scholly left? Will we use it up, maybe on a juco? Or save it for a rainy day?

TheDoctor
03-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Off the top of my head in a motel lobby in Minneapolis with my family sound asleep at 1:15 in the morning.....Oakland is the favorite by far, only losing Kangas and everyone else getting a year older and stronger. Southern Utah will get a little better. IUPUI is long and young, only getting better next year. ORU loses Buckwheat but that Morrison freshman is going to be special. So, Oakland #1..IUPUI maybe #2, us..ORU..I just don't know. I guess Oakland the far and away #1, a couple of us questionable in the middle. It will be an interesting year for the other 9 in the conference. We'll all be young and inexpereinced. I am VERY interested to see the development of Tveidt and Vaughn without the big boys next year. ;)

cburbs
03-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I can't wait to see Tveidt take over next year. He is a tall, strong scorer. He will by far and away be our #1 option. It's really hard to see where we have a big man off the bench. Our only second options down low were Sussy at 6'8" and Flowers at 6'7". I believe that seeing Aldrich absolutely destroy half our team down low will give Phillips a great reason to go get an athletic big guy who can score and defend. Even though it will be a year or two until we see one on the court. Next year our inside game will be very soft, and hopefully Vaughan can be 1/2 of what woodside was. I would say if all goes well, we are a 4 or 5 seed in the tourney. With the possibility of making a run because of the experience we got this year.

Mr. Burgundy
03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Saul would be happy to contact all 6'10 big guys that want to play in ND. Not being too sarcastic, but if you are 6'10, and don't commit early (like Jordan Aaberg), you go major D1.

Flowers is improving his defense and toughness with the ball, and is the best big man athlete we have.

Sussenguth is really going to improve with more minutes. I have NEVER thought he was much behind Luke, if at all. He is a strong defender and gives you 100% effort. I am as excited about Sammy as I am about any of the kids that are going to get more minutes next year.

Nagel redshirted last year and is a beast. He is a REALLY big kid. He was at about 265, and now 255 as they have changed his body as a redshirt. He ran the 400 in high school track, and is solid in the low post. I personally think it is hard to be TOUGH ENOUGH as a young kid, but he will be nice coming off the bench. I watched him pretty hard in warm ups in Sioux Falls and was really shocked at his touch. He seems like a kid that could make a difference.

Aaberg will redshirt next year, but this is the kid that can really be special. He has the combo of length and skill that we need and lacked against Kansas. He needs the 25 pounds he will get next year as a redshirt. Nobody will work harder according to his current coach and to the coaches who recruited him. He is at all the Bison games and must be really excited to join the Bison. Fun to have a local kid make a difference.

Those are just the bigs, but I don't think we drop off after Luke leaves. Luke is a solid defender, but was never asked to score much. I personally think that Flowers will improve alot as a senior and Sammy will surprise some people.

Should be fun. I think a 3-5 seed is very possible, and once again, we have a 3 day tourney to get back to the best sporting event of them all. Oakland will dance next year. I am pretty sure of that. They were amazing in Sioux Falls and have kids sitting out and transferring in....STUDS.

cburbs
03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
I played against Aaberg in high school, he was a stud as a sophomore when I played him. He was only about 6'7" back then. But I don't think he is going to be our 5 man. During this year when he is redshirting, he really needs to work on his outside game. He is a great shot blocker with a knack for having 5-7 blocks a game. Knows where the ball is at all times. I went and watched him this year against my old high school team, and he is a tall lanky big man. Typical for coming out of high school. Once he adds 25-30 lbs of muscle he could be a true 4 man. Which is where I think he could do his best. Once he learns how he can truly dominate, and works on his mid range jumper, he will truly help out our beloved Bison.

bisonwest
03-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Oakland should be the favorite. Then you have to say ORU AT #2. I think that the Bison and Jacks will battle for 3. After that it's anybody's guess.

lakesbison
03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
can we pull a scholly and add a juco??

DjKyRo
03-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I like the idea of Sam as a center, closely followed by Day-wan (I call him that because I think it sounds awesome :D). Sam reminds me a lot of Luke, first because he's tall, but secondly because he's not there so much to put up points, but to play defense and get in someone's face, and maybe put a few boards up and drop a dunk or seven.

EagleBison
03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Although I don't see a Woodside on the bench, there is some great talent that could develope into some great players next year at other positions.

HoopsBison
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
How about the transfer guard, heard he was suppose to be pretty good.

How about felt, Id be surprised if we red-shirted him and I heard saul say he could make an immediate impact? Thoughts on that.

roadwarrior
03-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Lundberg, Zastrow, Felt and Nagel are new guys we will most likely see significant playing time next season.

Golden Eagle
03-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Oakland is the clear cut favorite on paper... but I guess that's why they play the games.

ORU will hopefully fix the problem at PG and bring in some depth at the frontline positions.

NDSUFREAK
03-22-2009, 11:49 PM
this next year we wont be in the NCAAs. Use the next year to contact players, show them what NDSU is capable of by committing to play here and we can once again ride the magic carpet ride to the NCAAs.

lakesbison
03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
1 - Lundberg/Zastrow
2 - Vaughn (FELT!!!)
3 - TWIEDT/Carlson
4 - Flowers/Coleman/Carlson
5 - Nagel/Sam

Lets say Felt shoots lights out, and Nagel steps up HUGE, you got Twiedt as a bonafide scorer, then this team can win 2 games in sioux falls and dance, why not??

ndsubison1
03-23-2009, 12:11 AM
The more I look at our roster for next year the more excited I am... yeah we lose one hell of a senior class, but we have plenty of guys waiting in the wings... we'll have a lot of competition for ppl fighting for spots... I think Nagel could come in a be an immediate impact at the 5. I'd like to see Flowers get more confident with his offensive game since he is our most athletic big... i think we'll be fine... Oakland is the clear cut favorite, they return Derick Nelson and have a St. Johns transfer in Larry Wright who avg. 10 ppg in the Big East... that's insane.. As Burgundy said, Oakland will be in the dance. I like OU 1st, ORU 2nd, then it's between IUPUI, Us, SDSU, and SUU fighting for the 3-6 spots...

roadwarrior
03-23-2009, 12:17 AM
can we pull a scholly and add a juco??

Saul is still sitting on a scholarship for next season.

lakesbison
03-23-2009, 12:20 AM
will Pennick be back Road?

that would be 2 scholly's? if Lunde can go....... im just wondering..

roadwarrior
03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Here is the roster for next year:

SR Vaughan
SR Sussenguth
SR Pennick
SR Flowers
JR Tveidt
JR Coleman
SO Carlson
SO Lundberg
FR Nagle
FR Zastrow
FR Felt
RS Aaberg
1 Open scholarship

Mr. Burgundy
03-23-2009, 01:12 AM
I think it is pure genius of the coaching staff to have sat on this scholarship. We will NEVER be hotter than we are this off season when talking to coaches, kids, AAU...etc. To have one just open is perfect. If the perfect kid comes around, you take him.

Mr. Burgundy
03-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Earlier I posted on the big men. Now some more on the guards/small forwards. Unless something happens, expect Felt and Zastrow to play as true freshman. Not only play, but contribute. I have seen them both, and the fan base will REALLY like these kids. They are as classy as the graduating seniors we have, and they play HARD. Zastrow is a fiesty kid that reminds the staff of Woody. A bigtime competitor. Felt can just flat fill it up. He is a double of Nelson. It really is amazing how similar they are to me.

I expect Drew Lundberg to be the starting point guard with Josh Vaughn playing the two guard and some backup point when necessary. Zastrow backup point and Felt backup two guard. Pennick should play more next year as we will be young and we will need his SIZE on defense at times. He played great in the game Woody scored 60. He must improve on offense to get more clock.

I think Michael Tveidt has proven he is a stud. He has stepped up BIG in BIG games. Nothing is too big for him. He can defend ALL positions. Correct. I think he starts at the three and plays alot of the 3/4 positions. Freddy Coleman will play alot at the 2/3 and be that ATHLETE that we saw in spurts this year. He will be great when we are expecting him to shoot. I think he was always conscious of taking shots away from the seniors.

Carlson. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT HIM. This is a kid who can flat out score and got caught up in a minutes game this year. He basically has had a Tveidt like career so far. Redshirt, then play some as a freshman...and be ready as a sophomore. I think he will be ready. He has the body and the hands to score. He is a 4. People think he can play the 3....he will be a 4 and a very good one. Remember he damn near lead Minneapolis in scoring in high school. He can play.

I will offer my lineup....

Lundberg/Zastrow (Vaughn can step in at any time or posession and play).
Vaughn/Felt/Coleman (Pennick can play defense at either position).
Tveidt/Coleman
Carlson or Flowers starts at the 4? Other is the backup?
Flowers or Sussenguth starts at the 5? Other is the backup. Add in Freshman big man in Nagel. (Did I miss anyone?)

There is alot more talent than people think on that team. I think we are in that 3-5 range and anything can happen in March. Plus, the Junior Class in high school is currently REALLY excited about NDSU after this week. The phones are ringing off the hook. Great recruiting tool.....the dance!!!

devin45k
03-23-2009, 01:35 AM
We are gonna have a small center arent we?

RunDMc34
03-23-2009, 02:05 AM
SR Vaughan
SR Sussenguth
SR Pennick
SR Flowers
Not a big fan of any player in the SR group. I hope Vaughan develops into the player lakes thought he could be. Pennick imo has been a waste of a scholarship since day 1. Flowers absolutely needs to develop a real post game the 2 dribbles jump hook might be figured out. Goose needs to be a solid contributer and show toughness along with smarts in the post

JR Tveidt
JR Coleman
Tveidt will be the leader of this team. He is the most proven of our scorers and it will be very interesting to see him as option #1. Coleman imo is our most interesting player. He is a freakish athlete but is somewhat out of control I think he could be a wildcard starter for us next season.

SO Carlson
SO Lundberg
A very interesting group here. Carlson was a bit underwhelming but trying to fit in with the seniors isnt the easiest thing so he could be a big time player for us next season. Lundberg is probably gonna get the first shot at being our pg and Im very interested to see him play.

FR Nagle
FR Zastrow
FR Felt
RS Aaberg
Very exciting group I think the 3 true freshmen are on paper probably the 2nd best group of recruits we've ever had at NDSU. Felt is just a pure scorer he might get playing time because we have a ton of scoring to replace. Aaberg is probably a year or 2 away but he it is an amazing get word on the street is that OK St. was on him hard at the end of AAU ball. Dont know much about Zastrow but he may get minutes backing up at pg and who knows if Lundberg doesnt work out he may even start?

Nagel is a pretty big body and probably can eat up some time as a backup post

NDSUstudent
03-23-2009, 02:18 AM
We are gonna have a small center arent we?

Not if Nagel is starting, that kid has a nice frame for a freshman, and like Burgandy said he also seems to have nice touch.

Golden Eagle
03-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Sounds like Nagel will match up well with Benson from Oakland and Ford/Bell-Holter (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=75324&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d753 24%26season%3d2009) from ORU. Good to see Summit teams adding talented bigs and not just guards.

NDSUstudent
03-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Sounds like Nagel will match up well with Benson from Oakland and Ford/Bell-Holter (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=75324&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d753 24%26season%3d2009) from ORU. Good to see Summit teams adding talented bigs and not just guards.

Don't forget about Cordova from SDSU as well, having a solid big man looks like it will be a must for any team wishing to be a contender next year. No doubt Oakland is going to be scary if Nelson can comeback from his injury problems. Benson was hard enough to contain.

roadwarrior
03-23-2009, 03:21 AM
The Junior Class in high school is currently REALLY excited about NDSU after this week. The phones are ringing off the hook. Great recruiting tool.....the dance!!!

This is awesome with 4 scholarships available to offer this class!

Mr. Burgundy
03-23-2009, 03:57 AM
If SDSU is able to put Cordova at PF and not center, he will be a beast. He is a bit undersized, but a MAN on the low block. I enjoy watching him play.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 04:13 AM
1 - Lundberg/Zastrow
2 - Vaughn (FELT!!!)
3 - TWIEDT/Carlson
4 - Flowers/Coleman/Carlson
5 - Nagel/Sam

Lets say Felt shoots lights out, and Nagel steps up HUGE, you got Twiedt as a bonafide scorer, then this team can win 2 games in sioux falls and dance, why not??

hmmm...you're still sipping on the alcohol i assume????