PDA

View Full Version : Flood 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3

sambini
03-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Record levels could happen in the Red River valley this spring. As Mayor Walaker has stated We will not lose this fight. Snadbag volunters are needed. They are going 24 hours a day.

duluthbison
03-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Yahoo news today, hopefully it isn't as bad as everyone thinks it will be.:(

ND city scrambles to prepare for record flooding

FARGO, N.D. – The city of Fargo is racing to fill 1.5 million sandbags to prepare for record flooding as a nearby river is expected to crest more than 20 feet above flood stage.

Volunteers were being bused to a city utility building the size of a football field where they will fill sandbags, officials said. The city also bought two machines that resemble large spiders and can produce about 5,000 sandbags an hour.

"It looks a little 'Star War'-ish in here," said Bruce Grubb, Fargo's enterprise director.

The National Weather Service projected that the Red River would crest between 37 feet and 40 feet between March 28 and April 1. That's about 22 feet above flood stage and about a half-foot higher than the 1997 spring flood that swamped several homes. A storm also was expected to drop one or two inches of rain in the Red River Valley starting Sunday.

"If we go to 40 feet, we're going to be tested," Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker said Saturday after touring sandbagging operations with North Dakota Gov. John Hoeven and other officials.

Officials said it would be difficult to predict the extent of flooding. Walaker said an aerial tour of the river basin indicated the situation "didn't look as threatening as we've been hearing."

City officials said 225 National Guard soldiers have been called in ahead of the flooding, and the mayor said the North Dakota State University football team was scheduled to help with the sandbagging process.

"We're still getting more demand for volunteers than we have volunteers," said Dave Rogness, Cass County emergency manager. "This need is only going to increase over the next several days."

Original Yahoo Article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090321/ap_on_re_us/flooding_fargo)

EagleBison
03-22-2009, 04:45 PM
You all take care up in the RRV. Hope the predictions are to high, and everyone stays dry.

lakesbison
03-22-2009, 06:54 PM
SHOUT OUT TO UNBISON and HECKLER OF THE NORTH.

BOTH ARE INSTRUMENTAL TO FLOOD 2009.

UNBISON is DYKING up the Southwest with his EQUIPMENT.

HECKLER is in the guards .....

THANKS GUYS!!

Hambone
03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Hopefully everything works out ok throughout the Red River Valley. Good luck everyone!

Blue
03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Best of Luck and Godspeed Fargo Residents. Doesn't look good. Red River expected to reach 40 feet by early Friday.

duluthbison
03-22-2009, 11:42 PM
University should cancel classes so many students would be able to help with the flood effort

roadwarrior
03-23-2009, 12:19 AM
University should cancel classes so many students would be able to help with the flood effort

This happened in 1997.

coldspot
03-23-2009, 12:23 AM

would that get me out of having to do a speech? regardless, we gotta pump up operation F the Flood and shut this sucker down.

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Ha that would be nice! Either way the university should be encouraging students to miss class and/or reward students with extra credit if they go and sandbag. Fargo needs everyone who is able to help.

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
This has become a pretty serious situation over the last few hours. I have a strong feeling that NDSU will let and actually encourage students to help out in the effort. With no Fargo, there is no NDSU......

bisongirl
03-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Concordia has now cancelled all Monday classes except for the 8:30 am classes so that students and staff can help. Hopefully NDSU and MSUM will follow suit.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 01:26 AM
agreed I got a test tomorrow and was ready to study but I can't really concentrate on studying when I know I got friends and family close to the river....I want to go and help sandbag so hopefully classes are canceled keep updates coming if anyone hears.

Also, any bisonvillers if you need help with sandbagging I am willing to come and help you along with others on here would prob do the same.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Concordia has now cancelled all Monday classes except for the 8:30 am classes so that students and staff can help. Hopefully NDSU and MSUM will follow suit.

heard MSUM has now closed classes....ndsu please??? I got to much school work to get done and want to sandbag

ndsubison1
03-23-2009, 01:49 AM
im driving back from the cities right now, it's like hurricane katrina out here...

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 02:19 AM
I just heard a rumor that the river will be reaching nearly 42 feet this week. Does anyone have more information about the flood that can substantiate this rumor?

gotts
03-23-2009, 02:20 AM
I just heard a rumor that the river will be reaching nearly 42 feet this week. Does anyone have more information about the flood that can substantiate this rumor?

God I hope not... sandbagging is set for 40 feet... South Fargo could be totally wiped out if it hits 42 feet.

NDSUstudent
03-23-2009, 02:21 AM

The Forum said 40 by 1 AM Friday, I have heard nothing of 42 feet and if it gets that high the city would be in a lot of trouble.

gotts
03-23-2009, 02:21 AM
Also city water in Horace is gone... lift stations have failed.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 02:24 AM
The Forum said 40 by 1 AM Friday, I have heard nothing of 42 feet and if it gets that high the city would be in a lot of trouble.

latest crest is 41 as of 5pmish tonight, and they said 42 maybe, depends on all the precip we get this week and there is some ice in the Cheyenne and Wild Rice that is suppose to go into the Red River and that will also affect the crest

sambini
03-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I thought I heard NDSU WAS NOT HAVING CLASS ON MONDAY. KFGO 790 HAS DONE A GREAT JOB KEEPING THE PUBLIC INFORMED.

NDSUstudent
03-23-2009, 02:28 AM
latest crest is 41 as of 5pmish tonight, and they said 42 maybe, depends on all the precip we get this week and there is some ice in the Cheyenne and Wild Rice that is suppose to go into the Red River and that will also affect the crest

If it hits 42, NDSU needs to call off school for the rest of the week because they city is going to need an all out effort.

sambini
03-23-2009, 02:30 AM
I thought it was 41 feet by friday. But would like to build dikes to 42 to be safe.

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 02:44 AM
I heard 41 on Friday. That is what KFGO has been saying since around 3:30 PM. I also heard that it may not be possible to protect for over 42 feet. Apparently has to do with the height vs. the base and strength of the clay dikes. We are in serious trouble. In Denny we trust. I am also an NDSU student with a CDL so if anyone knows of anyone who needs a big truck driven, I would gladly donate my time to save my city. I can also help with any sandbagging.

heckler
03-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Since my major is Emergency Management I really get excited and worried around this time of year. Here are some great resources that will help with a lot of questions. If anyone has any questions that you can't find answers for let me know and I can send you what I know and where I got the information. I live for this stuff!!

NOAA forcast and current level of the flood:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgf&gage=fgon8&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

How to make a basic emergency supply kit (Most important part is to make sure you have food and water for at least 72 hours and please do not rely on your refrigerator or city water during a flood):

http://www.nd.gov/des/uploads/resources/186/basicemergencysupplykit.pdf

North Dakota Department of Emergency Services (Good resources on flood preparedness):

http://www.nd.gov/des/get/flood-preparedness/

North Dakota State University (Current level of the flood and other valuable resources):

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/fargoflood/

If you have to sandbag and want to know how many sandbags you need:

http://media.cityoffargo.com/Sandbag%20calculator.pdf

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Current Projected River Levels
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/fgon8_hg.png\

Chances of hitting a certain level
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/ncrfc/FGON8.SSTG.exceed.90day.gif

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 03:02 AM
I thought I heard NDSU WAS NOT HAVING CLASS ON MONDAY. KFGO 790 HAS DONE A GREAT JOB KEEPING THE PUBLIC INFORMED.

there is nothing on the NDSU website about that and I haven't heard anything about it :confused: :confused:

but then again i noticed it wasn't updated as of last Wednesday

gotts
03-23-2009, 03:03 AM
there is nothing on the NDSU website about that and I haven't heard anything about it :confused: :confused:

I'm finishing up a problem set that's due tomorrow, then I'm off to sandbag all night. Maybe see some of you there!

heckler
03-23-2009, 03:04 AM

FYI NDSU's Weather Emergency Hotline: 701-231-4636

BisonBabe
03-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Well we are getting some flooding already which I was not expecting. Living in Casselton since 2000 I do not know if the yard went under water in '97. Back yard is about 1/2 way under water due to todays rain and the front yard is gettin bad as well. I will not be surprised if my driveway is under water come morning. Bad thing is sandbagging will not help me at all.

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 03:09 AM
WDAY just reported NDSU will have an announcement tomorrow morning.

chuckles
03-23-2009, 03:11 AM

haven't heard anything either, WDAY 10pm news said no class at Concordia or MSUM, NDSU classes as scheduled but will make an announcement in the morning!

I have an exam tomorrow as well and its hard to focus and study!

BigBison
03-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Listen up guys, I am a civil inter for the city of fargo engineering dept. This is VERY serious. If we need 2-3 million sandbags, we can only do 250,000 sandbags a day, river is to crest friday somewhere between 39-41 feet, add up the math and thats not good!! We need sandbaggers bad. We want to build up to 42ft that will take an extra 900,000 sandbags. NDSU should cancel classes tomorrow students WILL BE NEEDED. Students were a HUGE part of the 1997 and pretty much saved fargo moorhead. later i gotta study and sleep i got a LONG day ahead tomorrow.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 03:14 AM
WDAY just reported NDSU will have an announcement tomorrow morning.

what are they waiting for??? to find out that this isn't just a joke....if they don't cancel i won't be able to help til late tomorrow. GRRRRR

heckler
03-23-2009, 03:14 AM

What happens at certain points of the flood:

41.3 Fargo...Top elevation of the Island Park permanent levee.
40.2 Fargo...Top elevation of the emergency levees.
40.0 Fargo...Top of the Island Park dike. Moorhead...Red River is lapping at the base of the Heritage Hjemkomst Interpretive Center.
39.8 Fargo...Top of the Veteran Affairs Center dike.
38.2 Fargo...Convent Bridge at 52nd Avenue South is closed.
36.3 Fargo...Clearance height of 1st Avenue bridge.
35.0 Moorhead...Actions taken to prevent storm sewers from backing up.
34.4 Fargo...Northern-Pacific...Center Avenue bridge clearance.
34.0 Fargo...Sandbagging starts on dike near 15th Avenue and Elm Street North if the river is forecast to rise above 36.5 feet.
33.0 Fargo...Dike is constructed south of lift station to near 2nd Street and Main Avenue. Additional sandbagging on Elm Street dike near Woodland Drive. If river is forecast to rise above 37 feet, put extra earth on centerline of 10th Avenue South. 1979 Design top of dike at El Zagel golf course. Moorhead...Start diking to protect the Hjemkomst Center.
32.5 Fargo...Bridge at 1st Avenue and 2nd Street North closed for construction of temporary dike on 2nd Street. 1st Avenue North bridge across Red river closed for construction of temporary dike across 1st Avenue North. Moorhead...1st Avenue North bridge is closed.
31.0 Moorhead...1st Avenue North underpass is closed.
30.0 Major Flood Stage. Fargo...Flooding at 2nd and 3rd Avenue North areas. 2nd Street closed between Main Avenue and 4th Street. Temporary dike constructed to protect area within Oak Street dike; 58 feet South of 9th Avenue North. Moorhead...Water crosses entrance road to Gooseberry Mounds Park.
28.0 Fargo...12th Street toll bridge is closed. Construction begins on the dike to protect sewage treatment plant if forecast is above 34 feet. Moorhead...15th Avenue North river bridge is closed.
25.0 Moderate Flood Stage. Fargo...City Parks and Recreation areas along the river begin to flood.
24.0 Fargo...2nd Street closes between 1st and 3rd Avenue North for construction of temporary dike that protects City Hall if the river is forecast to rise above 31 feet.
23.3 Fargo...North Broadway bridge floods.
22.7 Fargo...Gage walls at Island Park are closed.
20.6 Fargo...North Broadway bridge is closed.
19.0 Fargo...Low-level dam south of Main Avenue is underwater.
18.0 Flood Warning Stage...minor. Fargo...North lane of Elm St between 14th and 15th Avenue is closed.
17.7 Fargo...Sanitary Sewers affected. Pump station at Island Park is started.
17.0 Forecast Service Stage. Fargo...Water rises to the edge of the bike path at El Zagel bowl along Elm Street North between 14th and 15th Avenues. Bankfull Stage.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 03:16 AM
haven't heard anything either, WDAY 10pm news said no class at Concordia or MSUM, NDSU classes as scheduled but will make an announcement in the morning!

I have an exam tomorrow as well and its hard to focus and study!

I can't focus.....I am willing to help sandbag but if they don't cancel classes I have a ton of stuff due tomorrow.

BigBison
03-23-2009, 03:16 AM
42ft is what we want to build up the dikes up to before today we wanted 41ft.

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 03:17 AM
what are they waiting for??? to find out that this isn't just a joke....if they don't cancel i won't be able to help til late tomorrow. GRRRRR

Just a stab in the dark, but if all students knew classes were cancelled tomorrow, how many would go out and knock a few back and not be worth a crap tomorrow? Just a theory.

BigBison
I can't focus.....I am willing to help sandbag but if they don't cancel classes I have a ton of stuff due tomorrow.

Me Too I have a test and homework due.....I cant focus.

bisonbills
Thanks for the insight Bigbison!

BigBison
03-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Also if you need Flood Info and you live in Fargo heres the link:

www.cityoffargo.com/flood09

MNLonghorn10
03-23-2009, 03:39 AM
This might suck. I live 6 blocks from this dumb river. Thankfully the rain tonight went through town fast and we're supposed to get sub zero temps wed-sat ..hopefully that'll slow the crest

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 03:40 AM
This might suck. I live 6 blocks from this dumb river. Thankfully the rain tonight went through town fast and we're supposed to get sub zero temps wed-sat ..hopefully that'll slow the crest

let me know if you want help bagging

MNLonghorn10
03-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Err not sub zero, sub freezing. Might need to head over to rivershore drive tomorrow sometime to start, lol.

I've lived here throught 97 and 06...Moorhead doesnt really get the threat as much as Fargo does though. We're higher up. But yea, prepare for the worst.

heckler
03-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Have to love the the National Guard ;)
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usaf/images/119fw.gif

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 03:50 AM
42nd St between Main Ave and about 4th Ave is completely under water. I believe there is a lift station there that is pumping water into the road so if anyone has to travel there use caution.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 03:53 AM
42nd St between Main Ave and about 4th Ave is completely under water. I believe there is a lift station there that is pumping water into the road so if anyone has to travel there use caution.

did you drive a truck through it and make and have water spray everywhere??? or how do you know bout that?

MNLonghorn10
Thats a pretty big underpass and nothing but the land fill out there.

NDSUFan_Sav
has ndsu closed yet :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 03:55 AM

do you mean 45th st or 42nd???? and 4th ave n or s?

heckler
03-23-2009, 03:55 AM
I know someone mentioned it before but here is the write up for the forum:

The city of Horace announced that it was immediately shutting off water service Sunday night be-cause lift pumps were unable to keep up with the water.

The water will be turned off until further notice. Drinking water will be provided by the Salvation Army at the city shop, 600 Nelson Drive in Horace.

Dilworth residents are being asked to restrict their water use to help avoid straining the Moor-head system, Mayor Keith Coalwell said Sunday.

“We’re hooked into Moorhead’s wastewater facility,” he said. “We’re not having any problems right now,” he said Sunday night. “All our pumps are working.”

Forum Link (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/234971/group/home/)

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 03:56 AM
did you drive a truck through it and make and have water spray everywhere??? or how do you know bout that?

I drove my mini van near it. I'm really domesticated and old. :D

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 03:57 AM
do you mean 45th st or 42nd???? and 4th ave n or s?

42nd Street south. By Mac's, Stop N Go and Video Action.

BisonBabe
03-23-2009, 03:58 AM
42nd Street south. By Mac's, Stop N Go and Video Action.

That area is pretty low so I am not surprised. Goes under with just a little rain.

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah it's always under water. I'm not trying to scare anyone. I really hope it doesn't come across that way. Just wanted to put some info out there.

coldspot
03-23-2009, 04:01 AM
out of curiousity, how high is elm street/oak street along mickelson park/ jack williams stadium?

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 04:02 AM
That area is pretty low so I am not surprised. Goes under with just a little rain.

hope your house will be fine...have you bagged at all????

chuckles
03-23-2009, 04:04 AM
has ndsu closed yet :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

yes i am waiting for a txt or call from Notifind anytime.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

heckler
03-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Emergency Dike Locations (http://www.cityoffargo.com/CityInfo/Floodprotection/EmergencyDikeLocations/)

BisonBabe
03-23-2009, 04:08 AM
hope your house will be fine...have you bagged at all????

Sand bagging won't help us with what is going on here at our place in Casselton. I don't think the water will reach the house but the back 1/2 of the back yard is full and the ditch on either side our driveway is getting there.

Really hoping the sump pump keeps up. It kicked in today.

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 04:17 AM
out of curiousity, how high is elm street/oak street along mickelson park/ jack williams stadium?

Not exactly sure how high it is exactly but Mickelson Field will be under water. I can't seem to find any information referring to dikes in that area though.....

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Fargo is doomed to be destroyed if NDSU doesn't cancel classes and let the students help sand bag. That was one of the main reasons that the city was saved back in 1997 because NDSU canceled classes for a week.

All we can hope is that the dikes don't top or fail and the city needs to be evacuated.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Fargo is doomed to be destroyed if NDSU doesn't cancel classes and let the students help sand bag. That was one of the main reasons that the city was saved back in 1997 because NDSU canceled classes for a week.

All we can hope is that the dikes don't top or fail and the city needs to be evacuated.

what did they do in 97 for making up that week????

in 97 i was in junior high and they didn't let us out, but they were letting out the high schools and colleges

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Sand bagging won't help us with what is going on here at our place in Casselton. I don't think the water will reach the house but the back 1/2 of the back yard is full and the ditch on either side our driveway is getting there.

Really hoping the sump pump keeps up. It kicked in today.

well best of luck with everything

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 04:46 AM

in 97 i was in junior high and they didn't let us out, but they were letting out the high schools and colleges

That I do not know, but I was what I was told. I know many students who would love to go help out with the effort but aren't able to due to classes in the morning, and myself being one of them with a 9 and 10 am exam tomorrow :smh: which reminds me that I should be studying

heckler
03-23-2009, 04:57 AM
I know A LOT of National Guard members want to go help out but since it has not been declared a state of emergency they cannot be activated to help with the flood. If they are full-time members at the base they would have to take leave in order to go sandbagging... stupid politics... :ranting:

MNLonghorn10
03-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Im sure by midweek it'll be declared. If not earlier.

tony
03-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Im sure by midweek it'll be declared. If not earlier.

Well, then they can help with the evacuation, I suppose, since the river is supposed to crest on Friday above the 500-year flood level. :(

Nobody in the F-M area should have anything of value in their basement right now.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 11:46 AM
looks like school is still going, kind of interesting imo. They want to be known as the school that stayed open during this???

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I can't believe that they don't seem to be taking this whole thing seriously. Maybe they don't want to cancel due to the day and a half that we lost before spring break due to the blizzard. Either way I think NDSU has made a bad choice here today so far....

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't believe that they don't seem to be taking this whole thing seriously. Maybe they don't want to cancel due to the day and a half that we lost before spring break due to the blizzard. Either way I think NDSU has made a bad choice here today so far....

you pull an all nighter?

on the tv it says concordia cancels after 830 classes msum after 1030am and ndsu will come out with a schedule this morning and if they decide to cancel or not....well classes start at 8am, what are they waiting for?

I'd rather miss a few more days of class to help out others and make sure the city is safe like bigbison said they need a ton of sandbags from now until friday.

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
you pull an all nighter?

on the tv it says concordia cancels after 830 classes msum after 1030am and ndsu will come out with a schedule this morning and if they decide to cancel or not....well classes start at 8am, what are they waiting for?

I'd rather miss a few more days of class to help out others and make sure the city is safe like bigbison said they need a ton of sandbags from now until friday.

Oh yeah, Monster and Mountain Dew kept me up!:bong:

By the way, what channel are you watching?

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Oh yeah, Monster and Mountain Dew kept me up!:bong:

By the way, what channel are you watching?

wday they got a scroll on the bottom

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
This really is un f'n believable. This city gets wiped off the map if we don't have every available person that is capable sandbagging and what does NDSU do? Sits on its hands. Amazing.:banghead:

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
This really is un f'n believable. This city gets wiped off the map if we don't have every available person that is capable sandbagging and what does NDSU do? Sits on its hands. Amazing.:banghead:

agreed....good job ndsu, I want to sandbag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i'm sure there are a good amount of others that are just like me and have stuff in classes they need to do that is keeping them back from sandbagging......

NDSU...HELLO anyone in the offices yet after spring break????

KNOCK KNOCK get this figured out

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
just called their weather # and it goes "ndsu is in full operation there is no emergency announcements"

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
just called their weather # and it goes "ndsu is in full operation there is no emergency announcements"

Way to go NDSU! Cancel school for a little snow but not for a city wide flood that could destroy the city for months!

BisonCountry
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
In 97 most the professors excused classes or excused absents if you were out sandbagging.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Way to go NDSU! Cancel school for a little snow but not for a city wide flood that could destroy the city for months!

or even years....took GF a while to get back and running

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
In 97 most the professors excused classes or excused absents if you were out sandbagging.

i thought they closed school?

bisonbills
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Classes canceled at 9!! Just heard it on KFGO at a press conference. Now get out and sand bag and save this city!!

lakesbison
03-23-2009, 02:11 PM
they should close chubs, labbys, turf etc and only open them at 9pm-2am, so they all actually sandbag instead of drink... ha ha.

when i was at ndsu in 97, I got to know Teddy pretty well that week.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Classes canceled at 9!! Just heard it on KFGO at a press conference. Now get out and sand bag and save this city!!

will do....i'm gonna go rest for a few hours because ndsu couldn't make up their mind until this morning grrrrr so i was up all night studying to find out on the way to my test there was no class, so i'm gonna sleep then prob go all night or to where ever they need me...

if anyone on here needs help let us know and I'm sure many on here will be willing to help.

I heard a few coaches houses could be in trouble teams are leaving the bsa at 945 to go and help

mebisonII
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Talked briefly to my parents last night and they said the crest predictions have risen in Breck/Wahp and they were selling flood supplies all day (they are normally closed on Sundays). Bracing for the worst, hoping for the best.

duluthbison
03-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Heading out to sandbag now, hope to see the rest of bisonville there too!

lakesbison
03-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I 94 West is closed I heard?? water in the underpasses ??

a girl i know had to slam on brakes for every underpass this morning.

BisonBabe
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I 94 West is closed I heard?? water in the underpasses ??

a girl i know had to slam on brakes for every underpass this morning.

94 in MN?? According to the ND site 94 is still open.

MNLonghorn10
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Just drove by that son of a bitch 15 min ago in south moorhead..had to drop a load off from msum...

Talk about covert red. National guard, police everywhere, crazy stuff.

Ill maybe pull a graveyard shift tonight since that sounds like when it'll need the most help.

Good luck to everyone doin the good deeds today.

bisonmike2
03-23-2009, 04:29 PM
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgf&gage=fgon8&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6

As up to date info as you can get about the river level.

bisonaudit
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
They opened a new sandbagging site at the FargoDome.

Bison bison
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Just drove by that son of a bitch 15 min ago in south moorhead..had to drop a load off from msum...

Talk about covert red. National guard, police everywhere, crazy stuff.

Ill maybe pull a graveyard shift tonight since that sounds like when it'll need the most help.

Good luck to everyone doin the good deeds today.

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm up to my eyeballs at work, but I assume many others will take the evening shifts...

Maybe I'll get up at 3 am.

tjbison
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks to all for Sandbagging, I can't get out and help but I work in a industry that supplies all the Contractors involved with their needs so I'M STILL HELPING by keeping those guys going!!!!!!!! Trust me the office is freaking nuts!!!

Hammersmith
03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
The 5 miles of portable flood walls that the city is buying and borrowing from the National Guard should help things a bit. They can't be used everywhere, but when they can be used, they're over ten times faster than using sandbags.

Hansel
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
These pics should automatically update

Fargo
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/fgon8_hg.png

Grand Forks
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/egfm5_hg.png

Wahpeton
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/whnn8_hg.png

Bison15
03-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Took some pics today while I was Volunteering. Everybody their was in great spirits and happy to be helping out. Very good turnout from the students as well, they were defiantly doing their part. For anybody that wants to help just go to the fargodome, they will point you in the right direction.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/3380416592_ae45ae0349_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3379600641_8b3a79a475_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3557/3379600187_e00af95e4f_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3379601117_431e414118_m.jpg
Elm St by El Zagel Golf Course
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3379601745_34c91df499_m.jpg

mebisonII
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
A little tip learned in IA last year:

Cut the top ~1/3 off a large traffic cone, set an extension latter across something around hip height and drop a couple of those traffic cones through it, add shoveler and tier and viola...instant sandbag filler!

Anyways...you probably already know that and/or don't like that method, but there you go...

onbison09
03-24-2009, 02:19 AM
Good luck everyone!!!

Wally
03-24-2009, 02:43 AM

I was at SU in 1997 and was a part of many sandbagging crews helping out. As for make up for the week...I can't remember all the specifics, but I do remember having a few tests, etc canceled, but others were rescheduled. Papers, projects, etc were pushed back as well. I remember just remember always keeping in communication with profs, instructors, etc on what was going with each individual class.

Wally
03-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Thanks to all the students and everyone for that matter with the efforts! I am hoping to make it down Wednesday or Thursday if help is still needed.

lakesbison
03-24-2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15941&page=2 << Oakland game thread tonite!

take your mind from the flood.

OAKLAND's Jonathon Jones hits a floater to go up 2 with .9 seconds left, Bradley's Chris Roberts takes inbounds, chuck's it 3/4 court and BANKS IT IN FOR A 3 and a WIN!!

I called into Oakland's postgame show and said "you just got woodsided !"

they laughed, and then i said, I think you got the summit next year. They cant believe they got a NDSU caller, and talked about it the whole show. ha ha

W O W.. it better be on ESPN tonite!!

NDSU1980
03-24-2009, 02:50 AM
UNBISON is DYKING up

Gee, I didn't think he was the type. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke_(lesbian)
I think you meant "dike".

bisonbills
03-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Just got home from an evening at the Dome with a few thousand of my closest friends :D

I was more than impressed with NDSU and their student athletes. I was in a bagging line with the football players. What a classy bunch of guys. Having fun and taking care of business. Heard many chants of "AMES!! IOWA STATE!! CYCLONES!!" It was great. Then Coach Bohl told them to "Get your asses some rest and be back at 5 AM!!!" Simply awesome guys and girls. You all deserve a pat on the back.

I also must say I will now limit my smack on the university to the north. They had 4 buses sitting outside the Dome. Thank you UND.

bisonmike2
03-24-2009, 04:05 AM
Just got home from an evening at the Dome with a few thousand of my closest friends :D

I was more than impressed with NDSU and their student athletes. I was in a bagging line with the football players. What a classy bunch of guys. Having fun and taking care of business. Heard many chants of "AMES!! IOWA STATE!! CYCLONES!!" It was great. Then Coach Bohl told them to "Get your asses some rest and be back at 5 AM!!!" Simply awesome guys and girls. You all deserve a pat on the back.

I also must say I will now limit my smack on the university to the north. They had 4 buses sitting outside the Dome. Thank you UND.

very cool to hear about our guys and UND. way to step up.

WYOBISONMAN
03-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Hats off to UND. Obviously this trumps any sports rivalry. Fargo.....you are in my thoughts.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-24-2009, 06:52 AM

yeah the team was great, few friends and I put 3-4 hours in....getting rest now and going back in the am

any other bisonville students been helping out??? or any bisonvillers for that matter

heckler
03-24-2009, 07:19 AM
yeah the team was great, few friends and I put 3-4 hours in....getting rest now and going back in the am

any other bisonville students been helping out??? or any bisonvillers for that matter

16 hour days... just got back to rest for about 4 hours and back out again at 6am. Duty calls!

TheDoctor
03-24-2009, 07:47 AM

No students to teach in the morning, so I am working the grave yard shift. Lots of people working in the Dome! ;)

HooliganBison
03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Just got home from sandbag central. There is a huge Guard showing so they can keep all 3 spiders running. They now have enough sand so there are no stoppages to the spiders. Hopefully more people will show up so they can crank out even more sandbags. And now I'm going to crash. Good night and Good luck all.

BigBison
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Keep up the good work, sandbags are needed most we had alot of people out in the neighborhoods yesterday with a 2-4 hour wait on sandbags. over night we should of got cought up with the bags. however i dont know if the wait on sandbags was because we couldnt get trucks out fast enough or we couldnt make sandbags fast enough.

BigBison
03-24-2009, 11:50 AM
also volunteers you guys are awesome. thank you so much students were awesome keep up the good work we'll need you from a couple more days.

roadwarrior
03-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I just heard that 450,000 sandbags were filled in Fargo yesterday! They need another day like that today.

mebisonII
03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Sounds like today may be the crest down in Breck/Wahp. Still a few days more for Fargo. GF predicted crest doesn't look anywhere near the record, so I'm assuming they are probably mostly set with their flood walls?

cbline
03-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Sounds like today may be the crest down in Breck/Wahp. Still a few days more for Fargo. GF predicted crest doesn't look anywhere near the record, so I'm assuming they are probably mostly set with their flood walls?

I wonder if Grand Forks caught a break with the weather, where their snow had a chance to melt and move down river before the water from the southern valley hits them. Anyone know or heard why GF won't approach their record? I am just specualting here.

Bison"FANatic"
03-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know for sure but I think they were not near as wet as the southern Valley was last fall. We are pulling a lot of water out of the Wild rice and Sheyenne from the areas they drain that are coming together here in Fargo.

lcbison
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I wonder if Grand Forks caught a break with the weather, where their snow had a chance to melt and move down river before the water from the southern valley hits them. Anyone know or heard why GF won't approach their record? I am just specualting here.

Last October and November the GF area, did not get nearly as much rain as down in the Fargo/Wahpeton areas. During sugar beet harvest, the Farmers' I drove for, got all their beets out, (they barely made it but they got them out).

However, the Farmers down by Wahp left alot of beets in the fields, due to all the rain, and the freezing right after.

Thats just one reason im guessing for all the overland flooding down south.

Also, after 1997 Grand Forks now has a permanent dike.

BisonBabe
03-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Talked to my MIL out in Hazen just a bit ago. The creek that runs behind their home (feeds into the Knife) is pretty full. They don't think it will reach their home but they are now buried with snow. She said the eastern part of Hazen is flooding badly. It sounds like large portions of ND will be in need of flood aid this year. My sister up in Souris was having overland flooding on Sunday and that was before the snow.

tony
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Talked to my MIL out in Hazen just a bit ago. The creek that runs behind their home (feeds into the Knife) is pretty full. They don't think it will reach their home but they are now buried with snow. She said the eastern part of Hazen is flooding badly. It sounds like large portions of ND will be in need of flood aid this year. My sister up in Souris was having overland flooding on Sunday and that was before the snow.

Yeah, flooding going on all over. For example, Mott has flooded and been partially evacuated (Cannonball River) - and they must be in the middle of a blizzard.

I know Mott probaby is a mystery for most people the Valley so a brief lesson on Mott: For some reason it shows up on a lot of globes and it's near a pretty lake called Lake Tschida which I heard might be rising 15 feet. It's HS team is Mott-Regent. Regent is the origin of the Enchanted Highway (you'll have to look that one up if you don't know what it is).

The single coolest thing I've ever seen was a year like this when the ice broke on the Heart River in Mandan. The Heart is usually tiny but that spring it was a raging torrent completely filled with chunks of ice bigger than cars - and they were getting tossed around like they were made of styrofoam.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
got a text just now that they need immediate help at shanley and oakport call 701-476-4000 for assignments

if you text that number 701-476-4000 and type fmflood they will give you updates on where they need help

Hecklerswife
03-24-2009, 05:33 PM
last night fosston sent a bus load and this morning my brother's entire senior class came on over. hopefully, the sand is drier and the trucks don't have as far to go as last night. we filled bags from one truck in 9 minutes and then had to wait 30 minutes for the next truck due to hauling sand from Hawley. not the best, but we got a break and were ready for the next load!

thanks to all who are helping and have helped. keep it up as we go at it again...the river's looking pretty scary this morning!

bisongirl
03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
last night fosston sent a bus load and this morning my brother's entire senior class came on over. hopefully, the sand is drier and the trucks don't have as far to go as last night. we filled bags from one truck in 9 minutes and then had to wait 30 minutes for the next truck due to hauling sand from Hawley. not the best, but we got a break and were ready for the next load!

thanks to all who are helping and have helped. keep it up as we go at it again...the river's looking pretty scary this morning!

Are you from Fosston?

bisonbills
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
My sister up in Souris was having overland flooding on Sunday and that was before the snow.

My uncle lives a few miles north of Souris. I haven't heard anything from him. How bad is it and how bad is it supposed to be?

unbison
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
When we or if we ever finish building dikes.... i will be sandbaggin pretty sure i should sleep the 3 or 4 hours i get off a day.... side note my 60 year old father in town for Dr. appointment yesterday..... He decided to stay! went to the dome and filled bags for a few hours.... he just called and said he is on the bus today to help place them gotta love that community spirit... ooh yeah!

MNLonghorn10
03-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Sounds like Fargo Moorhead is supposed to only get a dusting from this snow storm. Not the 2-3 inches or whatever that was predicted.

Sucks for the people out west getting 8-10 inches though

coldspot
03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Sounds like Fargo Moorhead is supposed to only get a dusting from this snow storm. Not the 2-3 inches or whatever that was predicted.

thank god. that would really f things up if we got half a foot of snow.

BisonBabe
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
My uncle lives a few miles north of Souris. I haven't heard anything from him. How bad is it and how bad is it supposed to be?

Last I talked to her was Sunday night. Will call her again tonight to see how they are doing. They live right in town about a block from the old school. They had overland flooding about 3 year ago during the summer from heavy rain. Hope your uncle is doing well.

UTH
03-24-2009, 07:53 PM

South Bismarck is getting hit by the Missouri River. Fox Island and Southport have been 'invited to evacuate', if I understood correctly. Someone else here should have more details...

bisonbills
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Last I talked to her was Sunday night. Will call her again tonight to see how they are doing. They live right in town about a block from the old school. They had overland flooding about 3 year ago during the summer from heavy rain. Hope your uncle is doing well.

My uncle got hammered by that summer. They live two miles west of 14 and 1 mile south of the border and have a few creeks running around the area. I'll have to put a call in tonight to see how things are. Thanks for the updates!!

Hansel
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Wahpeton
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/whnn8_hg.png

Looks like the Red in Wahp may have crested (below forecasted levels)

bisonmike2
03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks like the Red in Wahp may have crested (below forecasted levels)

and a whole day ahead of schedule? Can that be right?

gc74
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I have a question and I am hoping someone can help me out here. I am living in my first house, and we've only been there for ~ 1 year. We live in South Fargo, north of 32nd Ave and just east of 25th St (by Rheault Farm). The previous owner said the house had no problems in '97.

How necessary is it for me to put drain plugs in at this point? I know the supply in town is quite limited, and I am not a plumbing expert, so I don't want to have to take the toilet off if I don't have to. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance!

bisonmike2
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Update.

http://www.areavoices.com/springflood/?blog=46445

Looks like better news.

SUBISON247
03-24-2009, 09:30 PM
that's good news for you guys in Fargo. Bismarck has had some bad news today. There are a couple of ice jams on the Missouri and they are starting to cause flooding in the Fox Island and South Port Areas of Town(both have mandatory) evacuations. They have also put anybody south of expressway and west of Washington on notice to the probability of flooding. If the weather would clean up they could sent in a chopper to try and break up the jam but until then it is a waiting game. Good luck in your continued fight and wish us the best in ours.

MNLonghorn10
03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Update.

http://www.areavoices.com/springflood/?blog=46445

Looks like better news.

Its good news for now...but the wild rice isn't included in that like it will be in Fargos crest...and they said the Wild Rice has "a ton " of water.

MNLonghorn10
03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
thank god. that would really f things up if we got half a foot of snow.

Well that was at like noon from Mick Kjar on valley news live...now its saying we're in a winter weather advisory. hopefully its not much

bisonmike2
03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Well that was at like noon from Mick Kjar on valley news live...now its saying we're in a winter weather advisory. hopefully its not much

So in other words....nobody knows dick about what's going on with the weather.

tjbison
03-24-2009, 10:27 PM

Look at today sunny and hit 47-50 degrees, last night it was rain with falling temps changing to snow by noon!!!!

so your correct they have no friggin idea!!

tjbison
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a question and I am hoping someone can help me out here. I am living in my first house, and we've only been there for ~ 1 year. We live in South Fargo, north of 32nd Ave and just east of 25th St (by Rheault Farm). The previous owner said the house had no problems in '97.

How necessary is it for me to put drain plugs in at this point? I know the supply in town is quite limited, and I am not a plumbing expert, so I don't want to have to take the toilet off if I don't have to. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I would, its cheap insurance, especially in that area it can get pretty wet beign close to Rose Creek, but its entirely up to you, sounds like the cities sanitary sewer system is/will hold up but you never know!!

heckler
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
:ranting: To you oxbow house owner with beer in hand yelling at the volunteers sandbagging around your house... shutup the f-up... end rant...

mebisonII
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
:ranting: To you oxbow house owner with beer in hand yelling at the volunteers sandbagging around your house... shutup the f-up... end rant...

People like that deserve a public outing of their character when this is over...

bisonbills
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Tomorrow will be somewhere between -20 and 85 with a northwest to southwest wind switching to northeast to southeast at 5 to 50 mph. It will be sunny to mostly cloudy with a 0 to 90% chance of rain, sleet, snow and thunder storms.

I hope this forecast helps all involved.

lakesbison
03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
HECKLER... go kick his ass!!

i saved breckenridge... and now im saving casey's bar. back to fargo wednesday!

good luck everyone!!

MNLonghorn10
03-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Look at the location. Rich prick, unfortunately I'm hearing a few of these how the yuppies aren't touching a grain of sand and letting everyone do all the work for them.

My aunt was up sandbagging by elm st yesterday and she said some kids were talkin about when they were at Rose Creek earlier that the owners left the house to go get shit ready for prom...

WTF is wrong with some of these turds. Spoiled dicks.

onbison09
03-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Look at the location. Rich prick, unfortunately I'm hearing a few of these how the yuppies aren't touching a grain of sand and letting everyone do all the work for them.

My aunt was up sandbagging by elm st yesterday and he said some kids were talkin about when they were at Rose Creek earlier that the owners left the house to go get shit ready for prom...

Skip their house then. :D I know it's not that easy. Dumbasses!!:ranting:

duluthbison
03-24-2009, 11:35 PM
NDSU canceled class through Thursday now. Lets get this thing done! :nod:

bisonbills
03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
For anyone who wants to see the river downtown and you aren't building dikes....

http://www.wday.com/news/index.cfm?id=9270

Just for the folks who aren't in town or are at the Dome.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Cool link, thanks. Just passed over it on 94 and all the national guard guys were setting up those heavy duty dikes from Iraq on that street after the softball fields in lindenwood. Also on the other side of 94 after the graveyard.

I dont think that graveyards going to last this one out...

JSUBison
03-25-2009, 12:04 AM
For anyone who wants to see the river downtown and you aren't building dikes....

http://www.wday.com/news/index.cfm?id=9270

Just for the folks who aren't in town or are at the Dome.

Dang, I've been watching that for a few minutes now and the water just spilled in between the two bridges. Water is coming up quick!

NDSUstudent
03-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Cool link, thanks. Just passed over it on 94 and all the national guard guys were setting up those heavy duty dikes from Iraq on that street after the softball fields in lindenwood. Also on the other side of 94 after the graveyard.

I dont think that graveyards going to last this one out...

That is a block away from my parents house, they have lived there for 25 years and the city has never had to do any kind of flood protection in the neighborhood. I was shocked when I drove over to their house today to see that big wall at the end of street.

coldspot
03-25-2009, 12:47 AM

My aunt was up sandbagging by elm st yesterday and she said some kids were talkin about when they were at Rose Creek earlier that the owners left the house to go get shit ready for prom...

i am ashamed to say i live in rose creek. people like that digust me. pardon the language but if youre too f***ing lazy and uptight to help yourself and others you deserve to get f***ed by the flood. my dad did get in touch with some higher ups in the city and they said rose creek should be fine as long as the levees hold, so ive been helping some friends who live on the river north of town. well my breaks done now, back out into the storm.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 12:49 AM
NP avenue bridge between Fargo and Moorhead closing thursday morning...making it only 2 ways to get to each city, 94 and main.

coldspot
03-25-2009, 01:22 AM
NP avenue bridge between Fargo and Moorhead closing thursday morning...making it only 2 ways to get to each city, 94 and main.

ruh roh scooby doo. fargo-moorhead: the new venice.

tjbison
03-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Gotta give a shout out to the Concordia-St. Paul Football team and staff!!!!!!!

Thanks a TON guys, man people have been great!!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235121/group/home/:nod: :nod:

Hansel
03-25-2009, 01:49 AM
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/abrn8_hg.png

Looks like the wild rice by Abercrombie may be cresting- at lower than expected levels, coupled with a lower crest in Wahp... maybe we won't hit 40

TransAmBison
03-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Just got back a little bit ago from sandbagging. Went out with the boss for the day. Probably go back tomorrow. Tossed sandbags with Tony Satter for a few hours. Pretty cool guy.*

*Somehow I feel like Lakes now with the unnecessary name drop. Does it help that I mention he would go TAB who?

tjbison
03-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Just got back a little bit ago from sandbagging. Went out with the boss for the day. Probably go back tomorrow. Tossed sandbags with Tony Satter for a few hours. Pretty cool guy.*

*Somehow I feel like Lakes now with the unnecessary name drop. Does it help that I mention he would go TAB who?

Who's Tony Satter?????????

:D :D

Bison9073
03-25-2009, 02:44 AM
It is quite impressive to see this kind of volunteer effort trying to save the city. I hope everyone stays safe. It is a damn good workout sandbagging! ;)

mebisonII
03-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Cedar Falls did an all-out, up to the last minute, all-hands-on-deck sandbag push last summer to save the downtown and it worked. Here's to hoping the same for Fargo.

It doesn't feel right to be sitting here reading about it from 8+ hours away...I want to throw on my flood-mud shoes and get after it!

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 02:56 AM
been at the dome since 130ish taking a lil break good afternoon showing prob a couple thousand....going to try and stay as long as i can could use more people they just brought a bunch more dirt never enough help...also my aunt and uncle had to evacuate their house in bismarck they moved everything upstairs and headed out of there

hope everything works here in fargo thanks und students for making the trip down talked to a bunch of them they had about 9 buses full that came down and plan on bringing more once the river goes down on I-29 and sounds like mayville area is in trouble from overland flooding

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 03:21 AM
Winter Storm warning.

shit

bisonranch
03-25-2009, 03:47 AM
The COE cut all releases from the Garrison Dam for the first time ever. Unfortunatly it will take 2 days to have an effect on Bismarck. They haven't had to worry about the Missouri flooding for 50+ years because of the dam. We're not as polished on the flood thing out here as you are in Fargo...but there wasn't much warning. It's really wide...eerie to drive over.

chuckles
03-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Headed to the dome now for the late night shift, been stacking and placing bags all of Monday and Tuesday, now time to help fill them!

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 08:21 AM
everyone needs to say a big thanks to Heckler....the kid is going hour after hour on a 40 min nap here and there......just saw him at the dome he'll work there til 6am then go work his job (sandbagging and such out in the city)

sorry for saying your name bud, but this had to be stated you're an animal I put in 13 hours at the dome today and am sore as hell and bout to crash

thanks for everyone that is helping fight this!

mango
03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
People in Brookings are praying for you guys, no idea it was this bad until I read this. My brother goes to school in Moorhead and lives in a basement so I'm really worried about him.

Like someone said, this transcends rivalries, wish there was something I could do for you guys.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
People in Brookings are praying for you guys, no idea it was this bad until I read this. My brother goes to school in Moorhead and lives in a basement so I'm really worried about him.

Like someone said, this transcends rivalries, wish there was something I could do for you guys.

just keep the prayers going and spread word down there about the concerns for us up here...thanks mango we all appreciate it....bed time now and hoping i'll be able to work hard after today.....soreness will kick in.

BigBison
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
again thanks to all the students and volunteers. I know I said earlier that I work in the engineering dept. for the city of fargo. I've been in the office alot during the last few days so I dont get to see whats going on the front lines alot but when I do get out in the neighborhoods. YOU GUYS make this a truely an amazeing site thank you thank you thank you. were getting most of our dikes complete today, were focusing on the northside of fargo. We should be able to get everything done today if we had another big day for today.

Benchclown
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM

I was down in Oxbow yest helping and didn't notice this happening? There was one house that we were mainly working on because the owner was out of town..what house was barking orders?

mebisonII
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Good bunch of info including a few pics and video on national news for out-of-towners:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29873706

coldspot
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
i just heard on tv the coast guard is evacuating parts of oxbow and el presidente obama is speaking with mr conrad today. send some of that bail out this way.

lakesbison
03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
NObama declared North Dakota a federal disaster area.

so the Feds will pay 75% of the flood fight (as well as tell & punish private companies what to do with their bonuses!!) opps. that slipped.

bisonmike2
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
NObama declared North Dakota a federal disaster area.

so the Feds will pay 75% of the flood fight (as well as tell & punish private companies what to do with their bonuses!!) opps. that slipped.

Lakes,

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Humor/SayNo/Images/SayNo-Politics.png

Lets keep this forum free of politics and religion. Thank you.

This message has been brought to you by Bisonmike

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Aaand...Bismarck is getting flooded now.

Bison"FANatic"
03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I want to send a huge THANK YOU out to all the volunteers but especially the Students. You guys were what we needed to be in position to save the city. Your volunteering helped the rest of us be able to be going to relatives homes and our own homes and shoring them up for what could come. We are now in position to beat this thing because of you.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Aaand...Bismarck is getting flooded now.

yeah supposedly the ice jam broke which they didn't want yet because it made the river flow and they were planning on breaking it all with dynamite, so now everything south of expressway will flood.

Will U of Mary be safe, does anyone know?

aces1180
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
yeah supposedly the ice jam broke which they didn't want yet because it made the river flow and they were planning on breaking it all with dynamite, so now everything south of expressway will flood.

Will U of Mary be safe, does anyone know?

U-Mary is on a hill overlooking the river...No problems there.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
U-Mary is on a hill overlooking the river...No problems there.

yeah i know they're on a hill but i knew the river was close by, so assumed they were fine but just making sure.

how's everyone else doing?

bisonbabe hows your situation in casselton? how about your relatives in other cities?

tony
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Here's some video of the Heart in Mandan. Goes a lot faster than the Red and looks like there are some pretty big chunks of ice in it.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/weather/fargo_flood/Mandan_ND_Heart_River_Flood_Video_Mar_25_2009

I would not feel very secure behind a sandbag wall that was trying to fight of the Missouri or the Heart. If your sand bags fail in Fargo, you get wet. In Bismarck-Mandan, the ice floes could kill you.

lakesbison
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
U mary been closed for 2 days now, should be safe, the surrounding houses and on West side are NOT safe.

sambini
03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks to all. Red is now suppose to go to 41 feet.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Here's some video of the Heart in Mandan. Goes a lot faster than the Red and looks like there are some pretty big chunks of ice in it.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/weather/fargo_flood/Mandan_ND_Heart_River_Flood_Video_Mar_25_2009

I would not feel very secure behind a sandbag wall that was trying to fight of the Missouri or the Heart. If your sand bags fail in Fargo, you get wet. In Bismarck-Mandan, the ice floes could kill you.

Jesus...thats unbelievable...

aces1180
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM

That river is so gross...I can't believe I used to swim in that crap.

I talked to my dad today, who works in downtown Mandan and he said that Marina Bay is being evacuated and that the flood water is expected to reach all the way to Kist Livestock. It's not looking good there.

aces1180
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
U mary been closed for 2 days now, should be safe, the surrounding houses and on West side are NOT safe.

You got that right...I know a lot of people who have homes down there.

heckler
03-25-2009, 06:55 PM
everyone needs to say a big thanks to Heckler....the kid is going hour after hour on a 40 min nap here and there......just saw him at the dome he'll work there til 6am then go work his job (sandbagging and such out in the city)

sorry for saying your name bud, but this had to be stated you're an animal I put in 13 hours at the dome today and am sore as hell and bout to crash

thanks for everyone that is helping fight this!

Just doing my job buddy ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
picture of bismarck

http://media.wfts1.com//photo/2009/03/25/0_22_032509_Flooding01_20090325083201179_320_240.J PG

BisonBabe
03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
yeah i know they're on a hill but i knew the river was close by, so assumed they were fine but just making sure.

how's everyone else doing?

bisonbabe hows your situation in casselton? how about your relatives in other cities?

Thank you for thinking of me.

So far so good at home. The kids are home today and I have the oldest checking the sump pump on the hour to make sure it is still running. Talked to my MIL yesterday she said they are okay. Mom & Dad are in Bottineau and should not have any flooding. Sister and BIL and fam are in Souris and I worry that they will have problems after the lastest snow they got the other day melts.

It is quite uplifiting to see the community respond to the request for help. Everyone is to be commended for doing what they can to help during this flood fight.

HandoEX
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
I manage a Fargo hotel and just had a guest walk in for a room. He was evacuated from his home on the first fareway of Oxbow CC. I almost lost it when he left the lobby to go to his room.

BisonVifte
03-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Concordia will not have school the rest of the week to help with the increase of dikes to 43 feet.

bisonbills
03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
If you live in Fargo, check out this site. Please, we are in VERY big trouble if we do not get this done.

http://ffdt.rrbdin.org/index.php

It keeps getting updated with river forecasts.

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Just want to say that I admire and am in awe of all the volunteer efforts and the concern everyone seems to have for everyone else up North. It's crazy to see some of the pictures of the flooding, the dikes being constructed and all the sandbagging efforts.

And to Heckler, I witnessed your antics at the Summit League Tourney (assuming you were one of the guys with Lakes). Let me tell you, I was less than impressed. But, it seems clear to me that you're just a really crazy Bison fan and in times like these your true colors are shining through. Great job.

Stay safe everyone...

MontBison
03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Keep kicking ass you guys, did oxbow really go last night? Just remember that we only have to build our dikes higher than Moorheads:hide: sorry thats not funny.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 09:26 PM
just on cnn now they have used explosives on the ice jam in bismarck but no word on how its been affected

if anyone from bismarck has any updates on it please let us know.

bisonmike2
03-25-2009, 09:49 PM
just on cnn now they have used explosives on the ice jam in bismarck but no word on how its been affected

if anyone from bismarck has any updates on it please let us know.

any video on this. I'm curious what TNT vs. ICE might look like.

Bison"FANatic"
03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Keep kicking ass you guys, did oxbow really go last night? Just remember that we only have to build our dikes higher than Moorheads:hide: sorry thats not funny.

They lost a few houses last night and had airboats down there this AM to evacuate at least 6 homes they said on the radio. I guess it is getting interesting down there. Nephews just moved into my house for a few days as they are next to a dike. The next 4-6 days are going to be interesting.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
any video on this. I'm curious what TNT vs. ICE might look like.

i doubt it, i'm sure it would look pretty cool, hopefully it helped the river and the flow

bisonmike2
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
anyone know what happened to the in-forum fargo flood cam? Its not on now. I hope this doesn't mean that Moorhead lost power.

tony
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
anyone know what happened to the in-forum fargo flood cam? Its not on now. I hope this doesn't mean that Moorhead lost power.

Probably too much traffic or something...

Here's another webcam - scares the crap out of me to look at it because the water looks like it's already at the top of the dike by Island Park (Dike West?)

http://www.cityoffargo.com/Flood09/FloodWatchWebCam.aspx

bisonbills
03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Probably too much traffic or something...

Here's another webcam - scares the crap out of me to look at it because the water looks like it's already at the top of the dike by Island Park (Dike West?)

http://www.cityoffargo.com/Flood09/FloodWatchWebCam.aspx

I was on the Main Ave bridge heading into Fargo today. I really don't know how that dike will handle 41 ft. From what I hear, sand bags will have to go on top.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 10:58 PM
In forum cam is workin fine here

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/inforum.com-fargo-flood-cam

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I was on the Main Ave bridge heading into Fargo today. I really don't know how that dike will handle 41 ft. From what I hear, sand bags will have to go on top.

Did they put those heavy duty portable dikes on the top?

bisonbills
03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Did they put those heavy duty portable dikes on the top?

I don't believe so. I think they want to limit the amount of weight on top of the dike. Maybe BigBison could fill us in on any details.

bisonranch
03-25-2009, 11:09 PM
I just got in from filling sand bags all day in Mandan.

They said they won't know the effects of the explosions for a few hours, and ice jams could happen again. They didn't actually put explosives on the broken ice, but on the frozen river ahead of the jam to try and get it all moving.

There's another ice jam 10 miles north of town that's holding water back and keeping the river from rising more in town. The fear is if the north jam goes a lot of areas are screwed because of the jams farther south.

You can see video of the blasts here:
http://www.kfyrtv.com/

NDSUFan_Sav
03-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I just got in from filling sand bags all day in Mandan.

They said they won't know the effects of the explosions for a few hours, and ice jams could happen again. They didn't actually put explosives on the broken ice, but on the frozen river ahead of the jam to try and get it all moving.

There's another ice jam 10 miles north of town that's holding water back and keeping the river from rising more in town. The fear is if the north jam goes a lot of areas are screwed because of the jams farther south.

You can see video of the blasts here:
http://www.kfyrtv.com/

thanks for the link, they had it on kvly 11 news here

coldspot
03-26-2009, 01:41 AM
i heard some talk over the last two days that the river is gradually leveling off and will eventually begin to flow south (were talking hundreds of thousands of years from now).

bisonaudit
03-26-2009, 03:10 AM
i heard some talk over the last two days that the river is gradually leveling off and will eventually begin to flow south (were talking hundreds of thousands of years from now).

Hadn't heard that about North America but I wouldn't be suprised. I know that England is still slowly tilting back south. It got tipped up by the weight of massive ice flows covering Scotland during the last ice age.

Hammerhead
03-26-2009, 03:21 AM
The areas covered by the glaciers are still slowly rising as they "rebound" from the immense weight of the ice. The end result is that the Red River Valley is still becoming flatter from south to north.

That's why the beaches of Lake Agassiz are higher up north then they are in the southern end. Another result of this rebound was the Red Lake River changing course and to drain into the Red River at Grand Forks. Take a look at the google map and you'll see a coulee that marks the old course and notice that the Red doesn't meander as much right after it leaves G.F.

I haven't heard anyone predict that the valley's slope would change enough to cause Grand Forks to be higher than Fargo.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Ugh.

Sand bagged for like 3 hours then got word the shipment we had were frozen. Back at it tomorrow morning.

NDSUstudent
03-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Some updated river levels...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/abrn8_hg.png

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/hicn8_hg.png

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/egfm5_hg.png

UTH
03-26-2009, 04:00 AM
i doubt it, i'm sure it would look pretty cool, hopefully it helped the river and the flow

Who's ever heard of a big boom full of booyah with no video??? Patience...

tjbison
03-26-2009, 04:08 AM
just got in from my shift of running equipment in the River Drive region! seen the Concordia St. Paul FB team throwing bags!!! to the shower and bed then at it again in the mornign!! Raising these dikes to 43' is going to be VERY difficult, its absolutly repulsive to watch some of these residents down in that area walking dogs, cleaning sidewalks, and peaking thru cutains at the Volunteers working their ASSES off to save their homes!!! I was so mad this afternoon and evening I felt like busting some shit up!!!!:ranting: sorry rant over

GOOD LUCK ALL

PS If you can get to the FFD tonight and Fill bags, we waited nearly 2 1/2 hours for bags tonight!! they are hoping the night crews get lots done filling, but also running the front lines 24 hrs too!

NDSUFan_Sav
03-26-2009, 04:23 AM
just got in from my shift of running equipment in the River Drive region! seen the Concordia St. Paul FB team throwing bags!!! to the shower and bed then at it again in the mornign!! Raising these dikes to 43' is going to be VERY difficult, its absolutly repulsive to watch some of these residents down in that area walking dogs, cleaning sidewalks, and peaking thru cutains at the Volunteers working their ASSES off to save their homes!!! I was so mad this afternoon and evening I felt like busting some shit up!!!!:ranting: sorry rant over

GOOD LUCK ALL

PS If you can get to the FFD tonight and Fill bags, we waited nearly 2 1/2 hours for bags tonight!! they are hoping the night crews get lots done filling, but also running the front lines 24 hrs too!

someone told me there were 10,000 people at the dome earlier thats really hard to believe.

I will be going to the dome late hopefully my sore body can toss a few more bags around.

Also got news about bismarck, they plan on doing more dynamite at 11pm tonight on the ice jam, and then again tomorrow at noon hope this all helps.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 04:47 AM
One thing is for sure. If my house gets flooded. Im done with this area. Im moving south where I dont have to hear: snow, winter weather advisory, winter storm warning, blizzard, ice followed by flood.

tjbison
03-26-2009, 04:54 AM
One thing is for sure. If my house gets flooded. Im done with this area. Im moving south where I dont have to hear: snow, winter weather advisory, winter storm warning, blizzard, ice followed by flood.

Yeah then you move to Hurricane, Tornado, and still not out of Flood potential areas!

Blue
03-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Yeah then you move to Hurricane, Tornado, and still not out of Flood potential areas!
Never have to worry about flooding on top of hills:D

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Ive been through hundreds of tornado warnings living here.

Oooo a siren look out!

NDSUFan_Sav
03-26-2009, 05:49 AM

then you wouldn't be around for tailgating

roadwarrior
03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
I just got home from the dome. If there is a shortage or wait time for sandbags at diking locations it is not because the sandbags aren't being filled fast enough. There was one s%^&load of sandbags ready to go.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
I just got home from the dome. If there is a shortage or wait time for sandbags at diking locations it is not because the sandbags aren't being filled fast enough. There was one s%^&load of sandbags ready to go.

yeah i called the hotline to see if i could show up at the dome and they said its full to capacity and a friend was there and said it was really full of help....thanks to everyone helping!!!

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 08:16 AM
then you wouldn't be around for tailgating

lol. Good point. Man i wish it was tailgating weather...or atleast tailgating for spring game time.

Good. Get some of those bags to moorhead. ours are freezing up.

chuckles
03-26-2009, 11:40 AM

The bottle neck must be getting the pallets and pallets of sandbags out onto the trucks and delivered.

The dome was great tonight, just got home and was there since 12:30am, they had the tunes going and the FB team showed up at 5am. CNN has their satellite truck parked outside and running cables everywhere!

Bison"FANatic"
03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Well hopefully we are going to win this thing. I have to go to work till noon and then back to volunteering. Thank you guys and gals that are getting this done. It is getting long and tensions are getting short but know that it is greatly appreciated and we are showing the world (relatives were in Italy and it was on their news) what this area can do when we all pitch in. Go and beat this damn thing!!!!!!!!

tony
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
It's crunch time now in the biggest battle North Dakota has ever seen.

Sounds like Oakport is in quite a bit of trouble and the Oak Grove neighborhood is losing homes. :(

Press conference just starting...

bisongirl
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds like Oakport is in quite a bit of trouble and the Oak Grove neighborhood is losing homes. :(

99Bison's mom is in Oakport. Her dikes are complete and we are hoping and praying that they hold. 99Bison is packing up today and heading over there to stay for the duration now.

Please keep everyone, city officials and law enforcement, homeowners, volunteers and everyone else, fighting this flood in your prayers.

Trim
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah, when I got there they were advising people there were too many at the Dome, so they were suggesting going to Sandbag Central. I hopped on the Sandbag Express and went down there. That place was overflowing with people too, tons of sandbags being made.

mebisonII
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
It's crunch time now in the biggest battle North Dakota has ever seen.

Press conference just starting...

Looks like Oakport and Moorehead are both still calling for volunteers:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235324/group/home/

bisonmike2
03-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Who's ever heard of a big boom full of booyah with no video??? Patience...

I saw it on cnn this morning. They played it over and over again. I was expecting an Arnold Schwarzenegger type explosion with fireballs everywhere and a mushroom clould. I was dissapointed.

tjbison
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Been waiting for Volunteers all morning at River Drive between 35th and 40th Aves South in Fargo!

lakesbison
03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
who+ why deleted the TOP 3 REASONS WE FLOODED??

I WAS.JUST TELLIN U WHAT.I HEAR OUT ON.THE SANDBAG LINE...

BURGANDY IS SURROUNDED BY WATER + HOLDIN ON....

RICKY BOBBY SAYS?FOX RUN NEEDS HELP OFF 52ND AVE....,,,

TransAmBison
03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm off for another round of sandbagging. From being out there all this week I can tell you it is the students making the difference!!! You guys deserve a big ATA BOY!!!!

bisonmike2
03-26-2009, 03:00 PM

where ever you go there will always a chance that something bad will happen. God* will always find you and punish you no matter what part of the world you live in.:)

*substitute your God/Allah/Jesus/Tom Cruise/Flying Spaghetti Monster here.

Bison15
03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
KFGO just reported the city need any able body persons to help build dikes and sandbag. Report to the FFD, Hope lutheran South or Assembly of God church on 25th St S

GO NOW! I'll meet you there

duluthbison
03-26-2009, 03:50 PM
NDSU Canceled through Friday now!

Bisonguy
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Sounds like they still need a LOT of volunteers. I'm off to the FFD in a few minutes.....

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Goin back to south moorhead after I eat some bar b ques

lakesbison
03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
FREE BBQ's at FMCT (by island park dyke)

We stopped in there after sandbagging... good good stuff!!

they said (ladies, or anyone) just DROP OFF BBQ meat & Buns and they'll make it for everyone til this is over!!

duluthbison
03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
It is getting really serious out there. I heard that there is voluntary evacuations in some northern township of moorhead. And as I looked out my room at stockbridge, I saw a coast guard helicopter fly over! Be safe everyone and maybe try to get out of town early if you can.

TheBisonator
03-26-2009, 07:32 PM
It is getting really serious out there. I heard that there is voluntary evacuations in some northern township of moorhead. And as I looked out my room at stockbridge, I saw a coast guard helicopter fly over! Be safe everyone and maybe try to get out of town early if you can.

My parents forced me to drive down to the Cities to stay at their place through Sunday. The reason is that I live on the ND side of the river, and everyone else in my family lives in MN, so if by some catastrophe scenario Fargo gets ruined and all bridges to Moorhead close down, I have nowhere to go to be evacuated to.

It looks completely different in Minneapolis right now than it does in Fargo. Mild and dry and snowless. I was sandbagging on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at Sandbag Central and the Dome, so I put my work in, now I'm hoping and praying for the best.

lakesbison
03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
We at southside , ....couple ex f.ball players,,,,,ERIC CARLSON IS A MACHINE!!!

COPS SHOULD SHUT.DOWN TRAFFIC SOUTH OF I94!!

WE SITTIN AND WAITIN ALOT FOR BAGS...GRRRR

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
south moorhead prepare to evacuate..shit.

TheBisonator
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
south moorhead prepare to evacuate..shit.

Where did you hear this??

aces1180
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235339/

bisonmike2
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM

inforum.com right now. not mandatory but be prepared.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
It isn't me...but I only live about a half mile north of it.

WYOBISONMAN
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I am sticking these flood threads because it is a good source of information.

bisongirl
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
It isn't me...but I only live about a half mile north of it.

Are you in the Concordia area? D-Master is also there and is prepping just in case...

heckler
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
FYI just told me that the flood COULD reach 43' and, "behave in ways we have never seen."

Trim
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
FYI just told me that the flood COULD reach 43' and behave in ways we have never seen

And stay there 3 to 7 days...

bisongirl
03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
FYI just told me that the flood COULD reach 43' and behave in ways we have never seen

That is not good...I'm guessing that if you are part of the guard your info is pretty reliable...btw...thanks for everything you and the other service men/women do everyday outside of this disaster...

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Are you in the Concordia area? D-Master is also there and is prepping just in case...

Just south a few blocks of Concordia

bisonbills
03-26-2009, 09:51 PM
KFGO said 41-42 possibly 43.

bisonbills
03-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Just heard from someone in Rose Creek they are giving up and moving north.

GradBison
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM

42' well into Wednesday. Time for another volunteer push to raise and strengthen the dikes, see you out there guys.