PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about Collins...and Bison

seanr9ne
03-20-2009, 01:10 PM
First off I would like to just say that this writer for the KC Star has been known to be quite "out there." When he likes something, everybody in town knows...when he hates somebody, well you get the point. Here are some blurbs about what he thinks of Sherron Collins.

"Sherron’s back is against the wall. He’s on the verge of ruining what was just two weeks ago a wonderful junior season. If he repeats his Texas Tech and Baylor performances — a combined nine of 39 from the field with eight turnovers — not only will the Jayhawks lose this weekend, but Collins will have no choice but to return for his senior season."

"Kansas is a streaky, moody team. The Hawks tore off eight- and five-game winning streaks in the Big 12. They looked great in some of those stretches. They have a favorable tournament draw."

"Like Iverson, it takes embarrassment to focus Collins. Baylor and Texas Tech embarrassed Collins. On Thursday, reporters kept comparing Collins to North Dakota State guard Ben Woodside, a pretty good little shooter.

Collins outplayed Derek Rose in last year’s national championship game. Collins was a high school All-American. He’s supposed to be an NBA prospect. Being compared to Little Benny Woodside from North Dakota in March should be an insult."

http://www.kansascity.com/166/story/1096670.html

Just thought it was interesting...not saying I agree with him, as I haven't seen you guys play.

mebisonII
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I haven't seen Collins play, so I couldn't compare the two, but there are a lot of college hoops players who could do well to be a little more like 'little Benny'.

Wasn't too surprised when I saw it was Whitlock. He can be funny or interesting sometimes and likes to stir the pot. Seems like he knows more what he's talking about when writing on football though.

KUKUKU
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
First off I would like to just say that this writer for the KC Star has been known to be quite "out there." When he likes something, everybody in town knows...when he hates somebody, well you get the point. Here are some blurbs about what he thinks of Sherron Collins.

"Sherron’s back is against the wall. He’s on the verge of ruining what was just two weeks ago a wonderful junior season. If he repeats his Texas Tech and Baylor performances — a combined nine of 39 from the field with eight turnovers — not only will the Jayhawks lose this weekend, but Collins will have no choice but to return for his senior season."

"Kansas is a streaky, moody team. The Hawks tore off eight- and five-game winning streaks in the Big 12. They looked great in some of those stretches. They have a favorable tournament draw."

"Like Iverson, it takes embarrassment to focus Collins. Baylor and Texas Tech embarrassed Collins. On Thursday, reporters kept comparing Collins to North Dakota State guard Ben Woodside, a pretty good little shooter.

Collins outplayed Derek Rose in last year’s national championship game. Collins was a high school All-American. He’s supposed to be an NBA prospect. Being compared to Little Benny Woodside from North Dakota in March should be an insult."

http://www.kansascity.com/166/story/1096670.html

Just thought it was interesting...not saying I agree with him, as I haven't seen you guys play.

Sean you left out the usual accusation from our boards that he is a Missouri fan that has infiltrated the newspaper! :)

seanr9ne
03-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Sean you left out the usual accusation from our boards that he is a Missouri fan that has infiltrated the newspaper! :)

He likes Kansas more than Missouri...moron.

RockChalkJayBlog
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
dfasdfadfasdfadfasdfadfasdfa

RManFlint
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
He likes Kansas more than Missouri...moron.

His name is Portnoy, not moron.

KU1985Alum
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I think I read on one of the threads here yesterday that when Collins was asked about Woodside, his tone and body language suggested disrespect.

The following is from a rivals site about Collins when asked about Woodside...

Earlier on Thursday morning, Woodside was asked about Collins, and had nothing but great things to say about KU's leading scorer and leader.

According to Collins, the feeling is mutual.

"He's good," said Collins when talking about Woodside. "I can't take nothing away from him. He's crafty. He's a good three-point shooter, a good foul shooter -- he's good all-around. He has a good game.

"And, you know, he knows how to use screens real well and he does a lot of different things for the team," he added. "It will be a tough match up, but I think playing against a lot of guards all season, that's prepared me for this moment. I mean, it will be tough for us. It will be a tough match up, but I think I will do all right."

Very hard to tell from reading, but it sounds like Collins is definitely respecting his opponent - Woodside.

mebisonII
03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I think I read on one of the threads here yesterday that when Collins was asked about Woodside, his tone and body language suggested disrespect.

The following is from a rivals site about Collins when asked about Woodside...

Earlier on Thursday morning, Woodside was asked about Collins, and had nothing but great things to say about KU's leading scorer and leader.

According to Collins, the feeling is mutual.

"He's good," said Collins when talking about Woodside. "I can't take nothing away from him. He's crafty. He's a good three-point shooter, a good foul shooter -- he's good all-around. He has a good game.

"And, you know, he knows how to use screens real well and he does a lot of different things for the team," he added. "It will be a tough match up, but I think playing against a lot of guards all season, that's prepared me for this moment. I mean, it will be tough for us. It will be a tough match up, but I think I will do all right."

Very hard to tell from reading, but it sounds like Collins is definitely respecting his opponent - Woodside.

It would be silly for any player to say he was intimidated by another player or to say he thought another player would be no problem to handle. Sounds like Collins said what made sense to say in public...virtually nothing.

Leave the showboating/grandstanding to the NBA ;)

seanr9ne
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
It would be silly for any player to say he was intimidated by another player or to say he thought another player would be no problem to handle. Sounds like Collins said what made sense to say in public...virtually nothing.

Leave the showboating/grandstanding to the NBA ;)

Collins has said what he wants to the media all year long. He really isn't afraid to voice his honest opinions. If he thought Woodside was garbage, he probably would have told the media that.

klomp44
03-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Obviously hes not a very good reporter, as he can't even double check a name like DERRICK Rose.