PDA

View Full Version : Does the NCAA hate the "Little Guys"?

ndsubison1
03-20-2009, 05:35 AM
Talked to a fellow Bison fan at my hotel today who follows the team pretty well and is supposedly in the "know" with the team... said the NCAA doesnt give a crap about the smaller schools. Said our team is in a crappy hotel in north Minneapolis where the walls are leaking and stuff like that... meanwhile I see big, nice conference rooms and tables of food setup waiting for Dayton at my hotel... He said the NCAA does this all the time to the smaller schools, kinda feel bad for the team that they're playing in a tournament like this and get treated poorly...

CaBisonFan
03-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Talked to a fellow Bison fan at my hotel today who follows the team pretty well and is supposedly in the "know" with the team... said the NCAA doesnt give a crap about the smaller schools. Said our team is in a crappy hotel in north Minneapolis where the walls are leaking and stuff like that... meanwhile I see big, nice conference rooms and tables of food setup waiting for Dayton at my hotel... He said the NCAA does this all the time to the smaller schools, kinda feel bad for the team that they're playing in a tournament like this and get treated poorly...

If that's how our team is being treated...I say that the boys will come out with a little more attitude. They'll make a 'positive' out of a 'negative.'

Your point is well-taken.

Mr_Meanor
03-20-2009, 06:53 AM
While I have no idea how the NCAA run things butI find that hard to belive. But then again what do I know. I would think if that was true you would hear alot more about it from the mid majors come this time of year.

devin45k
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
They like whoever makes them the most money

RockChalkJayBlog
03-20-2009, 07:57 AM
dfasdfadfasdfadfasdfadfasdfa

CaBisonFan
03-20-2009, 10:58 AM

North Minneapolis pretty much says it all.

CaBisonFan
03-20-2009, 10:59 AM
what.

:hungry:

Ever been to north Minneapolis??

It's kind of like the infamous northern side of St. Louis.

THEsocalledfan
03-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Had buddy nearly get killed there one night. TAB, remember that story from Mr. Howard? Imagine, Mr. Howard getting drunk and getting lost.....

Tatanka
03-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Um, NO. North side of STL is much, MUCH worse. Some blocks look like scenes from Saving Private Ryan, only with live ammo. Rivals the famous East St Louis (whose city ran out of money and stopped garbage collection for almost a year when I was in high school), and some would say has surpassed it.

but yes, compared to the rest of the city, north MSP is a craphole.

Moral of the story: if that's how they're treating the Bison, then eff them.

unbison
03-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I am gonna guess we are gonna get the same treatment as Dayton..... Maybe not Duke or Kansas..... when did Dayton become big time?

Bisonguy
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
More motivation for the Bison, kinda like Rocky IV.

Hansel
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Boston College is here at the Milennium.. I believe NDSU is at the Gateway Hotel... about 4 miles from Downtown

cbline
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Only one cure for this: "Just win, baby!"

No_Skill
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Boston College is here at the Milennium.. I believe NDSU is at the Gateway Hotel... about 4 miles from Downtown

What a Sh*t hole:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/gx/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=645&EM=VTY_GX_645_MINNEAPOLISGATEWAY_PROP_OVERVIEW

RockChalkJayBlog
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
dfasdfadfasdfadfasdfadfasdfa

IndyBison
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
The NCAA sets up local oraganizing committees in each location and it is up to them to establish the host hotels. For the 1st and 2nd round they need 8 different hotels (I don't think they typically combine 2 teams in the same hotel). I would think they could find 8 very nice hotels but sometimes they may run into issues if hotels have space booked already.

The assigning of teams is done well before the teams are announced. There are 2 pods at each site and 4 teams in each pod. Hotel 1 is assigned to whoever ends up in team 1 spot on pod 1 and so forth. NDSU just got the (bad) luck of the draw. At least this is how the LOC committee in Indy does it. You can't blame the NCAA for this. Minneapolis has hosted the tournaments several times so I assume they have a well established group that serves on these committees.

The food the team has set up for them in the hotel is entirely up to them. They are reimbursed for some food but most of it is on their own.

If there is any fault here it is on the LOC for not finding 8 quality hotels. I can only assume by the time they booked the hotels they couldn't book 8 due to other conflicts.

RodentiaX
03-20-2009, 03:14 PM
This hotel isn't in North Minneapolis, it is in Northeast Minneapolis, a quite different neighborhood. What sometimes causes confusion is that North Minneapolis is a specific neighborhood, and people sometimes confuse it with the northern half of Minneapolis. North Minneapolis is a not a good neighborhood, but I've been in far worse, Florida City, Florida for example.

This hotel is a mile away from a golf course, a tenth of a mile from Hewlett Packard offices. It's a couple miles from the State Fair and Como Zoo. From what I can tell this looks like a pretty nice hotel.

GOB1SON
03-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I suspect that the teams get to stay in nice digs, not the local Motel 6.

However, I have stayed at some pretty "nice" hotels (Sheraton's, etc...) that were pretty old and crappy.

Not so sure that the boys care where they are staying. The are in the dance.

NDSUguy
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
A few points of clarification:

1. The Gateway Hotel is technically considered Northeast Minneapolis but it's basically Roseville. It's just off of 35W, Northeast of downtown.
2. I've been to the hotel and while it's not amazing, it's not much different than the Millenium downtown. Both are dumpy compared to whereever Kansas was probably staying.

RockChalkJayBlog
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
its your athletic directors' fault

TbonZach
03-21-2009, 01:45 AM
The band stayed in the Gateway. Not too bad, actually.

BlueBisonRock
03-21-2009, 02:06 AM
The band stayed in the Gateway. Not too bad, actually.

Thread Drift Warning.

The band also did an excellent job. Thanks to you and your peers TBon!

JordonH
03-21-2009, 03:57 AM
A few points of clarification:

1. The Gateway Hotel is technically considered Northeast Minneapolis but it's basically Roseville. It's just off of 35W, Northeast of downtown.
2. I've been to the hotel and while it's not amazing, it's not much different than the Millenium downtown. Both are dumpy compared to whereever Kansas was probably staying.

Kansas stayed at the Hyatt. When we checked in we were greeted by a giant statue of a jayhawk and surrounded by atleast 20 KU banners and pretty much all the KU fans that attended the game

BisManBison
03-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Kansas stayed at the Hyatt. When we checked in we were greeted by a giant statue of a jayhawk and surrounded by atleast 20 KU banners and pretty much all the KU fans that attended the game

Both of them? For all the talk about how well KU travels, I have to say that was a pretty lame showing by your fans.

Tatanka
03-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Both of them? For all the talk about how well KU travels, I have to say that was a pretty lame showing by your fans.

There were at least six of them in my section, feeling MASSIVELY out of place.