PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Bowling

Jay
03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Read that the NDSU team qualified for collegiate nationals in their third year of existence. This is essentially the sweet 16 of bowling. Pretty cool.

http://www.areavoices.com/Bowling/

1bizon1
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Read that the NDSU team qualified for collegiate nationals in their third year of existence. This is essentially the sweet 16 of bowling. Pretty cool.

http://www.areavoices.com/Bowling/

Years ago do I remember a bowling alley at the Memorial Union? Or just another one of my "dreams" from the mid to late 70's ?

aces1180
03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Years ago do I remember a bowling alley at the Memorial Union? Or just another one of my "dreams" from the mid to late 70's ?

I bowled a 209 in that bowling alley! You had to keep score by hand, and I promise I did not cheat! :) It was there in 2002, I know that.

mebisonII
03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
It was there in 2005...not sure if it survived the remodel ~2years ago or not.

Hammersmith
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
8 lanes were pulled up during the remodel and 8 lanes were put back. At least according the rec center's website. Haven't been down there since the remodel, but I bet they added electronic scorers.

zooropa
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
NDSU has a bowling team? Wow. I had no idea... It's not on the Go Bison website (but neither is the equestrian program). Looks like what you do for Title IX compliance instead of swim/dive.

BTW: Hammersmith (or anybody, really), the South Dakota BoR requires strict Title IX compliance (equal number of roster slots and scholarship opportunities for men and women), what's the status on that at NDSU?

gotts
03-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Congrats! Good luck in Illinois!

sambini
03-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Good Luck++++++++++

Hammersmith
03-22-2009, 12:11 AM
NDSU has a bowling team? Wow. I had no idea... It's not on the Go Bison website (but neither is the equestrian program). Looks like what you do for Title IX compliance instead of swim/dive.

BTW: Hammersmith (or anybody, really), the South Dakota BoR requires strict Title IX compliance (equal number of roster slots and scholarship opportunities for men and women), what's the status on that at NDSU?

I'm pretty sure that the bowling teams are club-level(like NDSU hockey) and are funded through the campus activity fee and not through the athletic department. Student government(the managers of the activity fee) pays for their travel costs and some other items, but there are no scholarships involved.

As for Title IX, we comply with federal requirements and don't have the added complications that the SDBoR added to SDSU. NDSU has chosen to use the "Interest and Abilities" prong of compliance rather than the "Proportionality" prong that most other schools use. I like what NDSU has done because it allows the school to focus on sports that are actually played by high school students in our main recruiting area(academic, not athletic - ND/SD/MN) and it doesn't force us to add stupid sports for our area just to achieve a certain scholarship number. As a result, we can focus funding to a smaller number of sports and they can be far more competitive than schools locked into a numbers game. I think the only women's program at NDSU that is not playing a high level is golf, and I expect that to improve in the next couple years as more funding is added(not that golf will ever be able to really compete, considering the season). Soccer and basketball might not be on top right now, but that is not because of institutional support; more like injuries and recruiting.

If we were to add sports, I'd like tennis to be first on the list. It's played by a decent number of regional high schools, it's a Summit sport, and we could use F-M fitness facilities until we were able to add courts and locker rooms onto the BSA. If the Urban Plains aquatic complex actually happens, then swimming and diving could return, though the nixing of the diving well in the UP proposal makes that a little less likely(not to mention the distance from campus). I used to support equestrian, but that was for the sake of numbers and before I understood more about Title IX. Now, I'd put it quite a ways down my list. This is rodeo country, not steeplechase, dressage, and show jumping. We've got reasonable facilities because of the horse park and equine studies program, but I'd still put it as a last resort. Just my opinion.

zooropa
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info...

In comparing the SD high school sports to SDSU's offerings the curious difference is swim/dive vs. gymnastics.

The SDHSAA sponsors two classes in girl's gymnastics, but SDSU has never (to the best of my knowledge) fielded a gymnastics squad.

Instead, they field a swim/dive team--which is a sport that is flat out beyond the reach of most every high school in the state. Apart from that SDSU's sports are South Dakota high school sponsored sports (except, of course, baseball & softball)

---

Regarding Title IX compliance and fielding non-competitive teams, I don't see that as a major issue. I mean it would be nice if SDSU could do -something- to get their tennis program turned around but the bottom line is these programs are basically ran for the students, not the prestige of the athletic department, and I'm fine with the department being indulgent with these low profile sports.

Although, like I said, tennis is a disaster area--not great on the court and not doing well on the APRs either.

NorthernBison
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's my bowling story. I went to NDSU in the early 80's (Graduated in '84). We were required to take three PE courses. I took two during my freshman year (Fall and Spring) because walking all the way across campus in the winter was not in my plans.

I then kind of forgot about that final PE course for a couple years. I decided that Bowling would work well because it was in the middle of campus so weather wasn't an issue. The instructor was a relative newcomer to NDSU by the name of Amy Ruley. I considered my self a pretty good bowler and wondered what a basketball coach was doing teaching a bowling class.

If I remember correctly, Amy told us the first day that she wasn't a bowler and was basically reading stuff from a book about how to teach bowling. I thought, "This is such a joke."

Nevertheless, I learned several things in that class that I never knew before. Not bad for reading a book. Coaches coach.

sambini
04-11-2009, 01:47 AM
How did the bowlers do?

gotts
04-11-2009, 01:49 AM
How did the bowlers do?

Don't believe nationals have happened yet?

sambini
04-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks ++++

gotts
04-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks ++++

April 15-18, here's a press release:

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15455&f=3

sambini
04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Gotts+++

lakesbison
04-12-2009, 01:50 AM
bowling was on TV today.

unbison
04-12-2009, 03:19 AM
your watching tv at the frozen four.... must be getting old!

lakesbison
04-12-2009, 05:20 PM
yea. rough weekend.

Shawn-O
04-12-2009, 05:57 PM
bowling was on TV today.

You could make bowling a varsity sport for the women, to offset the hockey rides.

TheBisonator
04-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm currently taking bowling as my final PE credit towards graduation. Yes, there's a brand-new alley at the MU. I didn't do too bad on Thursday, I bowled a 147.

sambini
04-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Do you get the lightest ball and throw it hard as hell?

TheBisonator
04-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Do you get the lightest ball and throw it hard as hell?

I use a 13-pounder myself. Almost all my strikes involve "exploding pins." LOL

NDSUFan_Sav
04-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Good luck to the bowlers.....how many are left???

sambini
04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I think the University of Nebraska won it last weekend. It was on ESPN2.

Jay
04-18-2009, 04:26 PM
NDSU finished Nationals in 7/8 place (didn't have a 7/8 place game/rolloff)...

http://www.bowl.com/Downloads/pdf/collegiate/09_itc_results/complete_m.pdf

NDSUBowler
04-21-2009, 12:24 AM
I stumbled upon this site while googling NDSU Bowling.

Thanks for the well-wishes, folks!

We finished 7th/8th as previously mentioned (7th sounds much cooler though)

You can read a decent writeup at www.areavoices.com/Bowling

For those who don't know the history of the recent NDSU Bowling team, I was born and raised in Fargo, but chose to go to Arizona State my freshman year (04-05) for bowling. After being unsatisfied with ASU, I transferred to NDSU instead, and started up the program here in 06-07 with 4 other dedicated local kids who loved bowling and loved the competition. The 1st year, we paid to travel to every tourney (11 of them) out of pocket. Since then we have received funding from the school to travel to all the tourneys. I am striving to turn this program into a nationally recognized one, including trying to recruit out of state. This year (programs 3rd) was the 1st year we were actually able to bring someone in from out of state (two guys from Burnsville, MN) and we hope to expand our range of recruiting in the future.

As for the MU Alley, they JUST redid the lanes this summer, putting in brand new lanes, approaches, scoring, seating, and pinsetters. No more hand-scoring :-)

-Adam Laskey

lakesbison
04-21-2009, 12:31 AM
ROCK ON !!!! 7 - 10 's are BS!!!

ndsubison1
04-21-2009, 04:30 AM
I stumbled upon this site while googling NDSU Bowling.

Thanks for the well-wishes, folks!

We finished 7th/8th as previously mentioned (7th sounds much cooler though)

You can read a decent writeup at www.areavoices.com/Bowling

For those who don't know the history of the recent NDSU Bowling team, I was born and raised in Fargo, but chose to go to Arizona State my freshman year (04-05) for bowling. After being unsatisfied with ASU, I transferred to NDSU instead, and started up the program here in 06-07 with 4 other dedicated local kids who loved bowling and loved the competition. The 1st year, we paid to travel to every tourney (11 of them) out of pocket. Since then we have received funding from the school to travel to all the tourneys. I am striving to turn this program into a nationally recognized one, including trying to recruit out of state. This year (programs 3rd) was the 1st year we were actually able to bring someone in from out of state (two guys from Burnsville, MN) and we hope to expand our range of recruiting in the future.

As for the MU Alley, they JUST redid the lanes this summer, putting in brand new lanes, approaches, scoring, seating, and pinsetters. No more hand-scoring :-)

-Adam Laskey

Thanks for your hard work and good luck in the future...

roadwarrior
04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
The bowlers make the Forum!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/238045/

TheDoctor
04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats guys! Your faculty advisor is very proud! You started the season with high hopes, struggled a bit during the season and then played like Champions when it counted! ;)

bisoneer
04-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Hey, nice thread... I bowled for the herd in the late 70s, we traveled to some intercollege tourneys including one I vividly remember in Mankato where one of our guys rolled a 298!! It was awesome. Also worked at the lanes for my work study money, we would set up special ball launcher and a group of blind people would come in and bowl, some of them were really good at it!!

NDSUBowler
11-29-2011, 06:16 AM
A bump of the thread that got me to create an account here on BV!

Little update of the team...it is early but after competing in 3 tournies, NDSU is ranked #49 in nation. We still have the bulk of our schedule left, so I hope we will continue to rise.

First tourney was the Mid-States in Wichita, KS on Oct 16th and finished 7th of 17

http://vvcap.net/db/Vz2A60qMg5Zi9S6Qt_KZ.png

Next we went to Madison, WI for the Warhawk Open, where we finished 8th of 25.

http://vvcap.net/db/-tQywuk3hCmoE2v4m4oP.png

Last tourney we were in was the Minnesota Invitational on Nov 13th where we finished 4th of 11.

http://vvcap.net/db/IOcwvZP3JFvwsLewNN28.png

The team is fairly young, so a strong showing this year bodes well for the future.

Best individual performances so far:
Ethan Frank finished 7th of 182 at the Mid-States, 11th of 98 at the Minnesota Inv and 28th of 248 at the Warhawk
Devin Walter finished 23rd of 182 at the Mid-States and 12th of 248 at the Warhawk
Andy Rozell finished 13th of 98 at the Minnesota Inv
Zach Webber finished 25th of 182 at the Mid-States
Wes Stockwell finished 32nd of 248 at the Warhawk

Last season, NDSU finished ranked 36th in nation, up from a disappointing 2009-10 season (ranked 73rd and missing sectionals [top 64 teams in nation...IE March Madness for bowling] for the first time in our existence)

I miss my days on the team...they were definitely responsible for my favorite moments of college.

Next two tourneys are in Las Vegas from Dec 18-21, so hopefully over Christmas break I will have some more good results to post.

ndsubison1
11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
do they compete in any tournaments in fargo? would be interesting to go to one. pitchers at the bowler?

NDSUBowler
11-29-2011, 06:57 AM
do they compete in any tournaments in fargo? would be interesting to go to one. pitchers at the bowler?
I wish they had a tourney here in town... Being that the nearest teams are in Winona, Mankato, Twin Cities and then you have to go to Nebraska/Iowa/Wisconsin for more, no teams would want to drive all the way to Fargo when they can just host a tourney in their town that is more appeasing for other schools to attend. Pretty crappy geographical placement for us in the bowling world.

The closest you'd ever get to seeing them in town would be practices (Memorial Union Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and Sunset Sunday nights...most weeks)

I wish the Bowler could host a tourney...that place is practically my home away from home.