PDA

View Full Version : The UCLA Effect

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Being a fan of UCLA basketball most of my life...and having lived down here for 12 years...I've discovered that the fan base for the Bruins has very high expectations. But I've also discovered a certain maturity in how they go about their business. There are exceptions, of course.

As per the Wooden philosophy..."be more concerned with how we play, and the outcome will take care of itself." Wooden never, and I mean never, brought up names of players from other teams, and the Bruins didn't practice to prepare for them. For example...they would typically review the fundamentals of shooting free throws and layups the night before the championship game.

It would seem that he didn't just teach the team.

It's similar to the Bison philosophy in football over the years...and thankfully...it has carried over to basketball also. It's called having 'class.'

lcbison
03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
UCLA also had the Sam Gilbert effect going for them.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 03:03 PM

As most dominant programs have had. Players called Wooden. It was him.

Come on lc...read between the lines. Dig for a deeper meaning...please.

lcbison
03-18-2009, 03:17 PM
what???

now your just confusing me.

All i was saying, was that "allegedly" the 60's & 70's Bruins were properly compensated.

WaHawk04
03-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Quoted for Truth.

Don't forget the unbelievable bias UCLA got in every single NCAA Tournament they played while Wooden was there. I'm guessing the poster isn't old enough to know how the tournament was set up back then. Oh and UCLA fans have class now? What's next..........Hitler was really a nice guy?

EagleBison
03-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Is Kansas still on NCAA Probation?

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Don't forget the unbelievable bias UCLA got in every single NCAA Tournament they played while Wooden was there. I'm guessing the poster isn't old enough to know how the tournament was set up back then. Oh and UCLA fans have class now? What's next..........Hitler was really a nice guy?

Unbelievable bias. Oh...that's good. :nod:

Lew Alcindor was really biased. So was Bill Walton, Keith Wilkes, Marcus Johnson, and all of their average players. They've 'biased' their way to eleven national championships. And the 88-game win streak...that was biased.

I'm 56. I remember watching the first championship team with Walt Hazard. The tourney was smaller...but they had to win their conference back then...like NDSU just did. It was complete domination. The Bruin Ballet. It reminds me of some of our football teams over the years at NDSU.

UCLA has class. Wooden has class. They're the premier basketball program in the history of the NCAA. Slam dunk. 7 titles in a row. 10 in 12 years. 3rd place finish during one of the non-title years. Yeah...they played a 3rd-place game back in the day. I'll never forget when they thrashed Houston and Elvin Hayes. But I can't remember Kansas during those years, at all. Were they in the tournament?

I've been on the UCLA boards some, and visited their opponents' sites just to see what's going on. The traffic is minimal. comprende??

How many other languages would you like me to write this in?

56BISON73
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Quoted for Truth.

So you are saying they have as much class as you do???

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Is Kansas still on NCAA Probation?

KU's probabtion ends after the season and they will get their scholarship back.

Not real sure where the thread starters going. With all due respect to Wooden, who's arguably the best college coach of all time, he coached in a time without parity, and would routinely get the best of the best recruits on a year by year basis. His freshmen team would probably beat 50% of the college teams at their time, if not more.

Imagine a more than stacked women's team.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 05:53 PM
KU's probabtion ends after the season and they will get their scholarship back.

Not real sure where the thread starters going. With all due respect to Wooden, who's arguably the best college coach of all time, he coached in a time without parity, and would routinely get the best of the best recruits on a year by year basis. His freshmen team would probably beat 50% of the college teams at their time, if not more.

My point, is that Wooden 'taught' class. He had many years of average to good teams. Eventually, the word got out that he was a scholar and a gentleman. He earned everything that he got. I'm still a huge UCLA basketball fan...and the forums that I see never get over-run like this. It's a whole 'nother philosophy. Every school has its fanatics...but OMG.

There wasn't parity, in part, because of UCLA...and the freshman rule. I'll never forget an interview with Lew Alcindor during his college years. He was asked who the best team they'd played all year was. The answer: "Our freshman team."

Correct...UCLA didn't know about parity. It was them...and the rest. The rest had parity. On a different level, it was like parity for the Bison football team in the 80s.

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2009, 05:58 PM
There wasn't parity, because there only a handful of programs that used up their full allotment of scholarships. Some "upper tier" programs had maybe 2 or 3 guys on scholarships.

I'm glad you were leaning more towards class. With the part in bold of the original post, I thought for a minute that NDSU should just worry about themselves, and not game plan for KU, which would be a grave mistake, as for Kansas.

Bison bison
03-18-2009, 06:58 PM

Done. :hungry: :D

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
There wasn't parity, because there only a handful of programs that used up their full allotment of scholarships. Some "upper tier" programs had maybe 2 or 3 guys on scholarships.

I'm glad you were leaning more towards class. With the part in bold of the original post, I thought for a minute that NDSU should just worry about themselves, and not game plan for KU, which would be a grave mistake, as for Kansas.

Oh...there were plenty of DI programs that used their schollies. Kansas most certainly was...and they didn't do diddly-squat during that era.

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh...there were plenty of DI programs that used their schollies. Kansas most certainly was...and they didn't do diddly-squat during that era.

So you're using this thread as a shot at Kansas?

Must hurt to take the roundabout way at that cheapshot.

I like how you failed to mention that UCLA was put on probation in 1981 from "certain individuals" during the Wooden era.

"UCLA has class"? Hardly. You don't need to look past the Jim Harrick tenure to figure that one out.

Here's a good opinion article on the "7 dirtiest teams in college basketball, with "all class UCLA" harboring 2 teams.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/college-basketball-history-2009?src=digg

And no, programs that used their full allotment of schollarships in the 60's and 70's were very few and far between.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
So you're using this thread as a shot at Kansas?

Thanks for the link to an editorial. Do you 'really' think that most university dynasties don't have their own version of Gilbert?

Do you have stats on which universities didn't use their scholarships in basketball during that era?

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the link to an editorial. Wonder where this guy was from? Do you 'really' think that most university dynasties don't have their own version of Gilbert?

Perhaps you should have left the "UCLA" part out of the equation then when talking about "Wooden" and "class".

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Perhaps you should have left the "UCLA" part out of the equation then when talking about "Wooden" and "class".

The university kept Wooden on because they appreciated his style of coaching and teaching. He had a lot of average seasons before the titles started rolling in. At least the A.D. and the president had a clue that they had a gem.

Ya think that places like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and others didn't have their version of Gilbert? And at our end of things...I heard that Mudra was a saint.

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2009, 07:53 PM
The university kept Wooden on because they appreciated his style of coaching and teaching. He had a lot of average seasons before the titles started rolling in. At least the A.D. and the president had a clue that they had a gem.

Ya think that places like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and others didn't have their version of Gilbert? And at our end of things...I heard that Mudra was a saint.

Wooden was a class guy and arguably the best coach in the history of college basketball. Nobody's really going to argue with that.

But keep in mind that it took Wooden 15 years to build his legacy, and when he finally did win Gilbert jumped on and made sure it was sustaining.

I'm also not sure why you're trying to slander these other programs to try to make UCLA "look better". UCLA was punished by the NCAA in 1981 for infractions resulting from John Wooden's era.

Sure there are some colleges that have cheated and been caught. but I don't see some of their fanbase going around touting them to be "all class" when trying to take cheapshots at other top notch programs, if that was the case.

I'm not even sure where you were going with this thread. If you wanted to focus it on UCLA and John Wooden like the original post suggests, it should be in the "News about other schools" forum.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
You're slandering UCLA. My point is simply that the huge dynasties of the past weren't clean either. You were the one that got onto the 'dirty UCLA' theme...like I wasn't aware of it..."duh."

Let's end this. If you want one final shot...so be it...but I'm done.

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2009, 08:19 PM
You're slandering UCLA. My point is simply that the huge dynasties of the past weren't clean either. You were the one that got onto the 'dirty UCLA' theme...like I wasn't aware of it..."duh."

Let's end this. If you want one final shot...so be it...but I'm done.

How am I "slandering" them? Because I'm stating 'facts' about their "class" program and you don't like it? They were put on probation in 1981 from incidents involving the era of John Wooden. That's a "fact"

And I'm not taking "shots" at anybody. Facts are facts my man. That's just the way it is.

I'm just not sure why you would try and make the argument you did about UCLA being "class" if you knew it wasn't a squeaky clean school?.

Fightin' Bison
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Let's try to keep it clean.