PDA

View Full Version : overconfidence???

buffalochip
03-18-2009, 05:11 AM
I am way to worried listening to my brother along with several other buddies from school and people on this board about how we soundly going to beat Kansas on Friday. I think our fans are failing to realize that this is one of the nations top two or three most prominent programs in history and even in a "down" year this is an extremely dangerous team. They have a better guard and better big man not to mention better coach then any of our guys have seen before. Other than in the possible instance we start raining threes for 40 minutes it is likely we will end up on the short end to a superior team. While I am a huge bison fan i just don't see us competing with a team this athletic and this good for the entirety of a game. I fear the overconfidence of this board and this school in general might have leaked its way on to our team as well which will lead to an even more crushing disappointment when we come up short against a far superior team. None the less i will try to keep a neutral attitude going in... GO BISON

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Buff......go to the "national news thread" and look at what folks around the country are saying. We are underdogs, but we do have a very real shot at this. That thread is stuck at the top of this forum.

heckler
I am way to worried listening to my brother along with several other buddies from school and people on this board about how we soundly going to beat Kansas on Friday. I think our fans are failing to realize that this is one of the nations top two or three most prominent programs in history and even in a "down" year this is an extremely dangerous team. They have a better guard and better big man not to mention better coach then any of our guys have seen before. Other than in the possible instance we start raining threes for 40 minutes it is likely we will end up on the short end to a superior team. While I am a huge bison fan i just don't see us competing with a team this athletic and this good for the entirety of a game. I fear the overconfidence of this board and this school in general might have leaked its way on to our team as well which will lead to an even more crushing disappointment when we come up short against a far superior team. None the less i will try to keep a neutral attitude going in... GO BISON

great we got another one WYO

RockChalkJayBlog
dfasdfadfasdfadfasdfadfasdfa

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Wow a realistic poster.

Debbie downer

WTF??? Ease up buckshot......contribute or don't post!

HoopsBison
03-18-2009, 05:19 AM
Yeah this game is going to be tough and unlikely....

But so was going to Wisconsin a few yrs ago and beating them at their house

So was going to Marquette and beating them at their own house

So was making the dance on our first yr of eligibility.

The thing is, that this team is very speacial and unique. A lot of ppl have counted us out plenty at times but this team keeping finding a way to get it done.

We all realize what is ahead of us Friday, but also all know how special this team is and we know that they can beat high profile schools.

So I guess my question why not????

RockChalkJayBlog
03-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Oh, I'm contributing :nod:

56BISON73
03-18-2009, 05:22 AM

Dont confuse excitement with over confidence. Everybody knows this is going to be a tough game for the Bison. But on any given day any team can win or lose. We are confident that our team is going to go out and give it all they have. Thats all you can ask. Regardless of the outcome we will still be proud of them.

heckler
03-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Dont confuse excitement with over confidence. Everybody knows this is going to be a tough game for the Bison. But on any given day any team can win or lose. We are confident that our team is going to go out and give it all they have. Thats all you can ask. Regardless of the outcome we will still be proud of them.

Great post PL

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:26 AM

AMEN Pat..............the true voice of reason!!! Damnit.....I will drink a beer with you any day!

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 05:36 AM
I am way to worried listening to my brother along with several other buddies from school and people on this board about how we soundly going to beat Kansas on Friday.

Bullshit

Most Bison fans are realistic. I want a close game, meaning a 'game.' I want our team to show up and play well. If that produces a close loss, or a close win, I'll be happy in the long-run.

Here's my hunch: You're not an NDSU fan. What town are 'you' from?

HerdBot
03-18-2009, 05:37 AM

We're confident and we have a lot of things going for us. We have a legitimate chance at pulling the upset. Remember, we only have to win 1 game in front of a home field advantage with a more experienced team. What happens if they come out and go cold?

Are we arrogant for being confident? The first key to defeating an opponent is making them think they can't be beat. You could see it in the Olympic Basketball Teams. Remember how the Dream Team used to whoop teams by 60 or 70 points? It's because the other teams didn't believe they could win. Sure enough, the US gets tested and almost gets beat so what happens? Suddenly these no name foreign teams kicked our ass. We not only lost games, we didn't even win medals!

Our confidence doesn't mean we're disrespectful. We realize we have a better chance to lose than win but that's not going to stop us.

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Bullshit

Most Bison fans are realistic. I want a close game, meaning a 'game.' I want our team to show up and play well. If that produces a close loss, or a close win, I'll be happy in the long-run.

My thoughts exactly! well put......glad you are awake t this hour!!!!!!

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Bullshit

Not to be rude but sometimes I wonder how realistic some of the fans on Bisonville are. If you look at the prediction thread I think 95% of them are predicting a NDSU victory. As much as I would like to see that happen its a big long shot. But I can dream right...this team has proven me wrong before.

And CaBison...I am not talking about you. I think you are one of the better posters on this board.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 05:46 AM
And CaBison...I am not talking about you. I think you are one of the better posters on this board.

I respect your opinion Mr_Meanor.

I just think that when a thread asks for predictions...it's natural for our fans to call a 'win' for us. That's mostly what I see. Gabe has a point worth pondering. Where is the line between confidence and arrogance? IMO...very few Bison fans have crossed over into arrogance. I mean really...what do we have to be arrogant about in terms of comparing the history of the two basketball programs?

Could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Not to be rude but sometimes I wonder how realistic some of the fans on Bisonville are. If you look at the prediction thread I think 95% of them are predicting a NDSU victory. As much as I would like to see that happen its a big long shot. But I can dream right...this team has proven me wrong before.

But....Mr. Meanor.......we do have a shot at it......and it is a realistic shot. Odds are that we get whacked......but winning is not a crazy thought.

NDSUstudent
03-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Guys this could very well be a KU fan posing as an NDSU fan. A few(emphasis on few) KU fans think we should worship them and just thank the basketball Gods for letting little old NDSU play on the same floor for 40 minutes with KU.

We are in no way being overconfident, we are being fans. Fans don't have to be objective like say an AP writer, fans can and should be able to believe that their team can win and you know what, we aren't the only people on that bandwagon, so maybe our belief isn't as misguided as some of these KU fans seem to think.

I'm not saying run around and make irrational statements but don't ever let yourself be defeated before the game is even played.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 05:51 AM
My thoughts exactly! well put......glad you are awake t this hour!!!!!!

The bandwagon is growing exponentially...but I'll bet that several will be gone after Friday. (Not talking about real Bison fans who have just joined.)

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I respect your opinion Mr_Meanor.

I just think that when a thread asks for predictions...it's natural for our fans to call a 'win' for us. That's mostly what I see. Gabe has a point worth pondering. Where is the line between confidence and arrogance? IMO...very few Bison fans have crossed over into arrogance. I mean really...what do we have to be arrogant about in terms of comparing the history of the two basketball programs?

Could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

I guess I am just a realist and when I post a prediction I am going to give the score I see mostly to happen. I think we will battle hard with KU but I see them coming out on top by 10 to 12 points. I don't see things in green and yellow glasses as most people on here do. I guess I don't know where you draw the line between confident and arrogance...but sometime over a long period of time aggorance can be earned. Can you say you are confident that NDSU will beat KU. I know I can't so to be that line doesn't exist right now.

But again...nothing against you....I really enjoy alot of your posts.

tony
03-18-2009, 05:57 AM
I am way to worried listening to my brother along with several other buddies from school and people on this board about how we soundly going to beat Kansas on Friday. ...

"Soundly beat"? I guess KU fans are getting a little underconfident if they feel the need to pretend to be Bison fans to post bulletin board material. :)

If not, don't worry, Chip, the team has nothing to lose. They should be out their playing for the fun of it. This is no must-win - it's more of a reward for five years of hard work.

Besides, anybody who has been around Bison fans knows should know that we have a long and storied history of being confident in our teams and don't do any sandbagging. Heck, if we weren't confident, we'd have listened to the naysayers and never left D2.

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 05:58 AM
But....Mr. Meanor.......we do have a shot at it......and it is a realistic shot. Odds are that we get whacked......but winning is not a crazy thought.

I know we have a chance but we have a big hill to climb. The reality of it is the odds aren't in are favor. I would like to see it as much as anyone else but I try to keep reality in mind when I post which alot of people don't

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 06:01 AM
I know we have a chance but we have a big hill to climb. The reality of it is the odds aren't in are favor. I would like to see it as much as anyone else but I try to keep reality in mind when I post which alot of people don't

Yep...........I would by you a beer if you were in Green River this evening!

buffalochip
03-18-2009, 06:05 AM
to answer your question I am from St Paul and am the third NDSU student from my family. Say what you want with your opinions on me all i am saying is looking at our prediction thread is a good example of what i am trying to say. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE a victory but i just believe its not going to happen. Maybe i should have just posted my prediction on the thread and left it at that. Well here goes US 56 them 74. Maybe I am the only one unbiased on here but i just find it hard to believe that every single person truly believes we are going to beat KANSAS... I know we all think we will have an advantage with fans... not so sure - maybe geographically but other then that this teams fan base is known as one of the most loyal and best traveling in the country. I would expect equal. Another point to be brought up is that the Dome will kill the noise equalizing the game even more so. If you want to shoot the messenger go ahead and call me a cynic. I'm just being realistic - its not going to happen.

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 06:06 AM
to answer your question I am from St Paul and am the third NDSU student from my family. Say what you want with your opinions on me all i am saying is looking at our prediction thread is a good example of what i am trying to say. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE a victory but i just believe its not going to happen. Maybe i should have just posted my prediction on the thread and left it at that. Well here goes US 56 them 74. Maybe I am the only one unbiased on here but i just find it hard to believe that every single person truly believes we are going to beat KANSAS... I know we all think we will have an advantage with fans... not so sure - maybe geographically but other then that this teams fan base is known as one of the most loyal and best traveling in the country. I would expect equal. Another point to be brought up is that the Dome will kill the noise equalizing the game even more so. If you want to shoot the messenger go ahead and call me a cynic. I'm just being realistic - its not going to happen.

Nothing wrong with a little realism....

ndsubison1
03-18-2009, 06:16 AM

didnt know we were playing Kentucky, UCLA or UNC... lol

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Now that is funny!!!

Schwarz04
03-18-2009, 06:25 AM

U suck /thread

NDSUstudent
03-18-2009, 06:27 AM

Anyone know any good Kansas screennames? I might have to go post over...wait I have a life. I don't need to pretend to be a fan of another team on their board.

buffalochip
03-18-2009, 06:28 AM
I wish we were playing Kentucky now there would be a reason to be confident! but none the less the school invented the sport.... theres really no joking about the tradition - i would although put ucla a a class above on the all time scale

tony
03-18-2009, 06:44 AM

Normally, I like to take a guy at his word. However, with all the people pretending to be what they are not this week, I've got to say that I suspect that you are KU fan who lives around Kansas City - maybe Olathe. :)

That said, you make good points. Yes, KU fans are great and they travel well. Yes, KU is one of the top basketball programs in the nation. Yes, KU has incredible talent, coaching, and all that. Yes, beating KU would be improbable... oh wait, you wrote that it is going to be impossible! That doesn't sound like any Bison fan I've ever met. There's a big difference between improbable and impossible. And in your first post, you wrote that NDSU fans are predicting that NDSU will "soundly beat" KU. That came across like a KU fan posing as a Bison fan so he could post bulletin board material. That and the other imposter posts strikes me as strangely underconfident.

If you are from Minneapolis and an NDSU student, you must remember the Bison playing the Gophers in 2006. Most Bison fans were confident then and it didn't seem to hurt NDSU. And we were even more confident in 2007.

NDSU has nothing to lose - this game is a reward for five years of hard work and a string of improbable gambles that paid off, not some sort of must-win-or-we'll-be-humiliated deal. Our fans are going to enjoy it with our team - that's in no way meant to be insulting to KU.

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Normally, I like to take a guy at his word. However, with all the people pretending to be what they are not this week, I've got to say that I suspect that you are KU fan who lives around Kansas City - maybe Olathe. :)

That said, you make good points. Yes, KU fans are great and they travel well. Yes, KU is one of the top basketball programs in the nation. Yes, KU has incredible talent, coaching, and all that. Yes, beating KU would be improbable... oh wait, you wrote that it is going to be impossible! That doesn't sound like any Bison fan I've ever met. There's a big difference between improbable and impossible. And in your first post, you wrote that NDSU fans are predicting that NDSU will "soundly beat" KU. That came across like a KU fan posing as a Bison fan so he could post bulletin board material. That and the other imposter posts strikes me as strangely underconfident.

If you are from Minneapolis and an NDSU student, you must remember the Bison playing the Gophers in 2006. Most Bison fans were confident then and it didn't seem to hurt NDSU. And we were even more confident in 2007.

NDSU has nothing to lose - this game is a reward for five years of hard work and a string of improbable gambles that paid off, not some sort of must-win-or-we'll-be-humiliated deal. Our fans are going to enjoy it with our team - that's in no way meant to be insulting to KU.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

BlueBisonRock
03-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Chip. The comments reflect an attitude of we can win this game rather than an attitude of we will win this game. Accepting defeat without playing the game makes no sense.

Bison"FANatic"
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Another one for my cut and paste response.:smh: :smh: :smh:

We have about a 20% chance of winning this game. I think most Bison fans know we are now playing with house money and just showing up and having a blast in the dome is going to be what makes this special. This is the cap to a 5 year transition that people will be not just celebrating the trip to the dance but celebrating the transition and our move to division 1. We may get blown out we may lose by two or win most don't care we are going to celebrate the moment and enjoy it immensely!!!!!!

Scooter1
03-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Anyone know any good Kansas screennames? I might have to go post over...wait I have a life. I don't need to pretend to be a fan of another team on their board.

Screen names to use....

1. TotoToo
2. CansAss
3. Goodwitch
4. Thejaberwalkee
5. JsAuYcHkAaWsKsS

GradBison
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM

What's the point of being a fan if you're going into a game thinking "it's not going to happen"?
Just enjoy being there, enjoy being in the Big Dance, and celebrate what our guys have achieved. If they do pull the upset, how sweet would it be? But they've achieved their goal, and like many said this is just the cherry on top. I just want to be there to witness it and lose my voice cheering for the guys.

Bison"FANatic" Said it better than I did.

roadwarrior
03-18-2009, 06:09 PM
What's the point of being a fan if you're going into a game thinking "it's not going to happen"?

Exactly the same thoughts before we played Wisconsin and Marquette.

90 BISON
03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Screen names to use....

1. TotoToo
2. CansAss
3. Goodwitch
4. Thejaberwalkee
5. JsAuYcHkAaWsKsS

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: