PDA

View Full Version : Who were the finalist's for Saul's job after Miles left?

Wally
03-18-2009, 04:20 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/41406642.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiacyKUnciaec8 O7EyUr

Just got done reading a good article on Saul on startribune.com and got me wondering, who were the finalists for head coach after Miles left for CSU? It said in the story Woodside lobbied for Saul to get the job.

NDSUstudent
03-18-2009, 04:25 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/41406642.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiacyKUnciaec8 O7EyUr

Just got done reading a good article on Saul on startribune.com and got me wondering, who were the finalists for head coach after Miles left for CSU? It said in the story Woodside lobbied for Saul to get the job.

I think Koering(NDSU assistant at the time) applied but the lobbying for Saul is what ended any thoughts of a national search.

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 04:34 AM
I think they had a few guys in mind but I don't think the interview process got very far. I think once the guys rallied around Saul it was a closed deal.

Wally
03-18-2009, 04:37 AM
I think Koering(NDSU assistant at the time) applied but the lobbying for Saul is what ended any thoughts of a national search.

That is what I thought. I don't remember many other people mentioned in the process. Thanks guys

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Was Craig Smith in the running?

unbison
03-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Craig Smith was interviewed

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 06:09 AM
SAUL.............Saul..........saul

devin45k
03-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Saul was a great choice. I think he fits into the Fargo coach character quite well.

TheDoctor
03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Miles offered Craig Smith basketball operations and Dave assistant right away. Craig accepted and has since been moved up to an assistant. Dave turned it down for several reasons, I am sure. One being the fact that his wife was about to give birth and they are both very close with their families. I am sure the promotion to associate head coach helped out as well. In the long run I think everything has worked out well for everyone. Saul is a great head coach, Dave a great associate, and the other two are happy as CSU. I can't wait for Friday! I can still remember rambling about this day last fall in the tailgating lots. People would say, "Shut up about basketball! It's the kickoff of the football season!" and I'd say, "I know, but do you know what these kids and coaches have a chance to do???". The time is now and I am loving every minute of it. Here's to hoping were playing West Virginia on Sunday! Woody needs to write to final chapter of his bout with Huggy Bear! GO BISON!!!! ;)

NDSUstudent
03-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Miles offered Craig Smith basketball operations and Dave assistant right away. Craig accepted and has since been moved up to an assistant. Dave turned it down for several reasons, I am sure. One being the fact that his wife was about to give birth and they are both very close with their families. I am sure the promotion to associate head coach helped out as well. In the long run I think everything has worked out well for everyone. Saul is a great head coach, Dave a great associate, and the other two are happy as CSU. I can't wait for Friday! I can still remember rambling about this day last fall in the tailgating lots. People would say, "Shut up about basketball! It's the kickoff of the football season!" and I'd say, "I know, but do you know what these kids and coaches have a chance to do???". The time is now and I am loving every minute of it. Here's to hoping were playing West Virginia on Sunday! Woody needs to write to final chapter of his bout with Huggy Bear! GO BISON!!!! ;)

I still remember Huggy trying justify the call that ref made at the end of that game, there is nothing I would like to see more than Woody knocking down free throws to seal an NDSU victory.

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I still remember Huggy trying justify the call that ref made at the end of that game, there is nothing I would like to see more than Woody knocking down free throws to seal an NDSU victory.

I am with you........that is why I said if we advance I want Huggy.

IndyBison
03-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I am with you........that is why I said if we advance I want Huggy.

I have a personal beef with Huggy. I volunteered at a Final Four Fan Fest (I think it was 2000). At one point I had to put on a Kit Kat costume and sign autographs (how many of you can say you've done that!?!?). The costume was basically a huge box with shoulder straps in the middle.

I was supposed to go sign autographs for about a half hour and then leave. When I got to the autograph desk, Bob Huggins was there. He was scheduled to go after me but he got there early. They told me to go walk around for 30 minutes and come back. He finally left about 90 minutes later. By then the "box" I was wearing was extremely heavy and it was very hot inside. Fortunately I didn't have to smile as I got my picture taken with several kids and college women.

My discomfort was totally because of Huggins not following the schedule and I will never forgive him. ;) Fortunately I don't have that POD as a host so I won't have to deal with him directly. I think I'll get the winner out of the Michigan State pod. It looks like a good group.

bisonpride
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I would love to see another Huggy rematch! We have some unfinished business with him!

TheDoctor
03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a personal beef with Huggy. I volunteered at a Final Four Fan Fest (I think it was 2000). At one point I had to put on a Kit Kat costume and sign autographs (how many of you can say you've done that!?!?). The costume was basically a huge box with shoulder straps in the middle.

I was supposed to go sign autographs for about a half hour and then leave. When I got to the autograph desk, Bob Huggins was there. He was scheduled to go after me but he got there early. They told me to go walk around for 30 minutes and come back. He finally left about 90 minutes later. By then the "box" I was wearing was extremely heavy and it was very hot inside. Fortunately I didn't have to smile as I got my picture taken with several kids and college women.

My discomfort was totally because of Huggins not following the schedule and I will never forgive him. ;) Fortunately I don't have that POD as a host so I won't have to deal with him directly. I think I'll get the winner out of the Michigan State pod. It looks like a good group.

I love Huggins! I was at a Final Four (I think it was 2000) and was extremely upset that we were leaving right after the next game and I was going to miss the Bob Huggins signing. Then by total surprise, Bob came to the signing table early and even told a kit-kat bar to take a hike (the bar was going to sign auto's :rofl:). Anyway, the line was very long and he was only supposed to sign for 30 minutes. I was worried I'd never get to the front. Needless to say, Bob stayed and signed for EVERYONE! What a class act...he was not going to leave until everyone got his auto (90 minutes). Thanks Bob for being such a peoples person.

Sorry man! I couldn't resist this one! :rofl: :rofl: It was too easy! :rofl: :rofl:

EagleBison
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Saul's game plan beat Wisconsin, and being a former Badgers Director of Basketball Operations, he does have NCAA Tourney experience. He was also an assistant coach for UW-Milwaukee.

IndyBison
03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I love Huggins! I was at a Final Four (I think it was 2000) and was extremely upset that we were leaving right after the next game and I was going to miss the Bob Huggins signing. Then by total surprise, Bob came to the signing table early and even told a kit-kat bar to take a hike (the bar was going to sign auto's :rofl:). Anyway, the line was very long and he was only supposed to sign for 30 minutes. I was worried I'd never get to the front. Needless to say, Bob stayed and signed for EVERYONE! What a class act...he was not going to leave until everyone got his auto (90 minutes). Thanks Bob for being such a peoples person.

Sorry man! I couldn't resist this one! :rofl: :rofl: It was too easy! :rofl: :rofl:

That's funny!! Thanks for sharing!! The only hole in your story is I think the day of this incident was a day or two before the first game. I also didn't say it made any sense for someone to get an autograph from Kit Kat but it was kind of fun despite the hot suit.

TheDoctor
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
That's funny!! Thanks for sharing!! The only hole in your story is I think the day of this incident was a day or two before the first game. I also didn't say it made any sense for someone to get an autograph from Kit Kat but it was kind of fun despite the hot suit.

Like I said, it was too easy. I tried to give you rep for being a good sport, but it says I have given too much out in the last 24 hours. All the KU neg rep has gotten the best of me! :D ;)