PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Bison Fans

rockchalktalk
03-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey, everybody, I run a Kansas blog, www.rockchalktalk.com. In preparation for Friday morning's game, I was looking around for a newspaper beat writer, or someone to ask questions. But, I found nothing, so I was hoping that all of you fine people, who I'm sure know more than any newspaper writer anyways, would be willing to answer my questions.

IF you are so willing, then just post your replies right here, and I'll put the best of the bunch on my blog, in Q&A format. Y'know?

With that said, here are the questions.

1) You guys have obviously won 17 of 18, only losing to Southern Utah. What happened in that game that caused you to lose? Just an "off" game, or did the Thunderbirds do something specific to upset you? If they did something specific, what was it?

2) You guys clearly haven't shied away from BCS competition in recent years, and have been quite successful (W's against Marquette and Wisconsin in year's past, and only a 4-point loss to USC this year). What impact, if any, do you think that will have on Friday morning? Will the Bison be intimidated by the big, bad defending National Champions?

3) If Ben Woodside was on the other team, how would you defend him? Give him the shot, despite his 43% 3-point shooting, or allow him to drive, despite his FD/40 of 7.1 (Fouls Drawn per 40 minutes...his 7.1 mark is good for 16th in the country)? Or, just completely give up and let him explode, and focus on not letting anyone else go off along with Woody?

4) Who is your defensive "stopper"? Basically, who do you think will be assigned the unenviable task of guarding Sherron Collins?

5) Has anyone tried a zone on you guys throughout the year? If so, has it been more effective, or have your sharpshooters just been able to shoot over it?

6) How many fans would you guess make the trip down to Minneapolis? Enough to make it a homecourt advantage, of sorts?

7) Is everyone here a Saul Phillips fan? Assuming the answer is yes, and that he's done as good of a job as it looks from the outside, when do you think he will leave? If the answer is "never, he's committed to NDSU", that's fine, just wondering.

8) And, finally, besides Ben Woodside, who is your next-best player?

I realize that is a lot of questions, and if you just want to answer some that is perfectly fine. Again, I appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to read the questions and/or provide your answers.

I'm nervous as hell, just for what it's worth. I'm extremely pissed at our little 4-team pod. You guys should have been a 12, at least, and West Virginia should have been a 4. Oh, well. I'm also pissed, because I was all set to have y'all, whoever you play, be my sleeper no one would see coming. I can't pick against my Jayhawks though... ;)

Good luck on Friday. And I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your program in the coming years. Hopefully you guys can replace this senior class that appears to be incredible and bounce back quickly. Hey, maybe you'll eventually be a consistent, year-in-year-out NCAA Tournament team like Butler.

Again, good luck and thanks.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Hey, everybody, I run a Kansas blog, www.rockchalktalk.com (http://www.rockchalktalk.com). In preparation for Friday morning's game, I was looking around for a newspaper beat writer, or someone to ask questions. But, I found nothing, so I was hoping that all of you fine people, who I'm sure know more than any newspaper writer anyways, would be willing to answer my questions. Again, good luck and thanks.

Not...nadda...nein...nicht.......ah.........

.....no.

heckler
03-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey, everybody, I run a Kansas blog, www.rockchalktalk.com. In preparation for Friday morning's game, I was looking around for a newspaper beat writer, or someone to ask questions. But, I found nothing, so I was hoping that all of you fine people, who I'm sure know more than any newspaper writer anyways, would be willing to answer my questions.

IF you are so willing, then just post your replies right here, and I'll put the best of the bunch on my blog, in Q&A format. Y'know?

1) You guys have obviously won 17 of 18, only losing to Southern Utah. What happened in that game that caused you to lose? Just an "off" game, or did the Thunderbirds do something specific to upset you? If they did something specific, what was it?

2) You guys clearly haven't shied away from BCS competition in recent years, and have been quite successful (W's against Marquette and Wisconsin in year's past, and only a 4-point loss to USC this year). What impact, if any, do you think that will have on Friday morning? Will the Bison be intimidated by the big, bad defending National Champions?

3) If Ben Woodside was on the other team, how would you defend him? Give him the shot, despite his 43% 3-point shooting, or allow him to drive, despite his FD/40 of 7.1 (Fouls Drawn per 40 minutes...his 7.1 mark is good for 16th in the country)? Or, just completely give up and let him explode, and focus on not letting anyone else go off along with Woody?

4) Who is your defensive "stopper"? Basically, who do you think will be assigned the unenviable task of guarding Sherron Collins?

5) Has anyone tried a zone on you guys throughout the year? If so, has it been more effective, or have your sharpshooters just been able to shoot over it?

6) How many fans would you guess make the trip down to Minneapolis? Enough to make it a homecourt advantage, of sorts?

7) Is everyone here a Saul Phillips fan? Assuming the answer is yes, and that he's done as good of a job as it looks from the outside, when do you think he will leave? If the answer is "never, he's committed to NDSU", that's fine, just wondering.

I realize that is a lot of questions, and if you just want to answer some that is perfectly fine. Again, I appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to read the questions and/or provide your answers.

I'm nervous as hell, just for what it's worth. I'm extremely pissed at our little 4-team pod. You guys should have been a 12, at least, and West Virginia should have been a 4. Oh, well. I'm also pissed, because I was all set to have y'all, whoever you play, be my sleeper no one would see coming. I can't pick against my Jayhawks though... ;)

Good luck on Friday. And I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your program in the coming years. Hopefully you guys can replace this senior class that appears to be incredible and bounce back quickly. Hey, maybe you'll eventually be a consistent, year-in-year-out NCAA Tournament team like Butler.

I'll make it easy. 1-8 = Your mom. (That's for you UnBison)

99Bison
03-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Since no one else will bite, I will.

>> They shot rediculous % and on tough shots especially. Very poor refing resulting in severe foul trouble for one of the key players. We didn't play great, but not that horribly. They made somthing like their last 7 shots in the game all from the outside being guarded well. Were one basket or stop away from winning, it was tough to watch the end.

>> Given the experience over the years of playing these and quite the spectrum of teams Bison most likely won't be intimidated. In fact, would be shocked if they were.

>> Not helping you with this one :-). It is somewhat a pick your poison type situation though for Woody. Also, the top 4 are all true scorers given the opportunity.

>> Mike Nelson. However, I'm not sure they'll start this way due to remaining matchups, I am curious about this myself.

>> Yes there are a few zoners, a few years back we had troubles figuring out what to do with the zone. However the last two years playing a few more teams that play zone has worked wonders.

>> Yes. You probably have seen that 30k came to watch a football game in 07 and 06. There won't be 30k for this, but there will be a ton.

>> Everyone is surely a fan now, he didn't have any HC experience when hired so some skepitcism has been around. However, proven himself over the past year and a half, has taken the team to a different level.
>> He could possibly leave for the right situation, however he does like it here very much. I personally think he's a couple years (2-3) away from having a good enough resume to get picked up by someplace he'd consider. However, there are a ton of DI basketball teams that need coaches so you never know.

>> Winkelman. Although on a given day any of the top 4 can look like the best.

>> That's the goal, lots of guys chomping for playing time now and 3 good recruits coming in, should be fun.

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Is it true that Aldrich has been in a walking boot for the last few weeks and he's not at 100%?

rockchalktalk
03-18-2009, 05:13 AM
Is it true that Aldrich has been in a walking boot for the last few weeks and he's not at 100%?

From everything I've read, yes.

I don't have any more confirmation than that, but I'm pretty sure. He hasn't been completely 100% for months, really. He broke his nose against Nebraska in late January, and has had ankle issues throughout the season. It was aggravated in the loss to Texas Tech, and it's been even worse since.

He'll still play, and I wouldn't be surprised for him to put up his standard double-double. But yeah, from what I've seen of him since then, he isn't nearly the same player.

RockChalkJayBlog
03-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Aldrich limps around in his boot all the time.

The other day when he addressed the media, he would change his step around the media from when he was walking in to the Fieldhouse.

This is what he said regarding the boot:

How long have you been wearing the book?

A month. Roughly. I'm not really sure. When I'm out on the court, I've got it off. But everywhere else, I have it on. Don't know (how long I'll have it on). I couldn't tell you. It could be tomorrow, it could be next week. It's all up to what the doctor has to say.

(Does it bother you?)
Not really. It's very minor. The boot is there to keep stress of the ankle. It immobilizes my ankle and keep stress.

(Feeling better?). I'm feeling good. It's unfortunate that we lost the other day, but we've got to find positives out of it. And we can say hey, we can get better as a team. These two days that we have, we can get better as a team and put ourselves in the best position to win games next three weeks.

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Aldrich limps around in his boot all the time.

The other day when he addressed the media, he would change his step around the media from when he was walking in to the Fieldhouse.

This is what he said regarding the boot:

How long have you been wearing the book?

A month. Roughly. I'm not really sure. When I'm out on the court, I've got it off. But everywhere else, I have it on. Don't know (how long I'll have it on). I couldn't tell you. It could be tomorrow, it could be next week. It's all up to what the doctor has to say.

(Does it bother you?)

Not really. It's very minor. The boot is there to keep stress of the ankle. It immobilizes my ankle and keep stress.

(Feeling better?). I'm feeling good. It's unfortunate that we lost the other day, but we've got to find positives out of it. And we can say hey, we can get better as a team. These two days that we have, we can get better as a team and put ourselves in the best position to win games next three weeks.

Rock chalk.....you are pissing me off sometimes.....but actually...this is good info tonight!

RockChalkJayBlog
03-18-2009, 05:22 AM
well hey...if you ask basketball questions, I shall give quality responses

WYOBISONMAN
03-18-2009, 05:23 AM
well hey...if you ask basketball questions, I shall give quality responses

OK...I am into that.....just don't piss me off tonight!

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Yeah...I heard from some big KU fans that he is only at about 90%

RockChalkJayBlog
03-18-2009, 05:29 AM
i hate percentage talk...

Mr_Meanor
03-18-2009, 05:31 AM
I agree but i'm just saying what I've heard

RockChalkJayBlog
03-18-2009, 05:32 AM
dfasdfadfasdfadfasdfadfasdfa

ndsubison1
03-18-2009, 06:26 AM
anybody wanna bet that this guy is Bill Self trying to scout us?

Twentysix
03-18-2009, 06:51 AM
I am slightly drunk, this may effect thought communication and grammar. spelling is always attrocious.

They made the most retarded shots, I think they actually had quite the "Lucky"streak as SUU isnt very good most of the time, however the defense on them was impeccible. something like 5 semi blind hookshots fell in the last 4 or 5 minutes...it was awful..

2) You guys clearly haven't shied away from BCS competition in recent years, and have been quite successful (W's against Marquette and Wisconsin in year's past, and only a 4-point loss to USC this year). What impact, if any, do you think that will have on Friday morning? Will the Bison be intimidated by the big, bad defending National Champions? Not a chance, bison are bred for this.

3) If Ben Woodside was on the other team, how would you defend him? Give him the shot, despite his 43% 3-point shooting, or allow him to drive, despite his FD/40 of 7.1 (Fouls Drawn per 40 minutes...his 7.1 mark is good for 16th in the country)? Or, just completely give up and let him explode, and focus on not letting anyone else go off along with Woody? Aslong as hes not having an off nite, your fucked. (woodsides off nites are to frequent for comfort, though they seem to be directly tied into the level of competition, bad competition = bad woody, vice versa.)

Nelson, i dont know enough about collins to say this with 100% though, every once in awile they put tveidt on a gaurd and he royally f's them up on the D side.

5) Has anyone tried a zone on you guys throughout the year? If so, has it been more effective, or have your sharpshooters just been able to shoot over it? Yes, and the first zone defense we went against this year worked very well on us, after that game we seemed to have learned and appsolutely shredded the zone defense. IUPUI away game is an example.

Tickets pending, I think alot of bandwagon fans will buy up singles. Despite your tradition we have geographic superiority with bandwagon fans!

Uhh I wasnt around in the days of tim miles so...no comment.

Nelly, in this game because in "Big" competition games he has out performed everyone.

Winks(1 consistantly), nelly(inconsistantly offensivly, consistantly defensivly) and tveidt(solid). You heard it from me first, there all putting up 20+ on you. :P (honestly though i think tveidt and nelly will be the surprise for KU they will focus tapes on woody and winks.)our entire team shoots 3's like they use a damn sniper scope. Ive seen our center shoot 100% from 3 on more than one occasion :P.

rockchalktalk
03-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you to both bison99 and Twentysix.

Your responses are much-appreciated.

And again, good luck on Friday!

NDSUFan_Sav
03-18-2009, 08:00 AM

They shot very well 53-55% we shot around 46%...but towards the end they were shooting lights out.

They will think wow we're playing KU, but we're in Minneapolis lets get em!!!

Do your best to contain him obv

I would say Nelson and Tveidt has stepped it up, also Moormann can do pretty good sometimes I get frustrated but he gives 100% every game.

like they said we use to struggle with it, but things are better now that's all i'll say

More then likely we'll have a bunch there if i had to put a # i'd say around 8-12k?

Saul is a great coach and is getting better each game he coaches....great person as well

The whole team, they play as 1 and always together not really any selfish players

alright going to take a stab at the questions above for ya

DjKyRo
03-18-2009, 08:11 AM
i hate percentage talk...

I heard he is sitting roughly 9/10.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-18-2009, 08:17 AM
I heard he is sitting roughly 9/10.

not bad not bad ;)

Aldrich is a great player and has a lot of class!!!

He has been here and there though the last month or so

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the players from last years team at the game :)

but this year things are different GO BISON!

IzzyFlexion
03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
anybody wanna bet that this guy is Bill Self trying to scout us?

I don't think it's that as much as it is some student that we're helping with his spring semester journalism project.
If that is the case, the little tizzurd better put some of you guys in the bibliography page.