PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas on NDSU

Gully
03-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Mentioned Woody, Nelson, and Winks. "If Kansas looks past North Dakota State, they could be making a Bucknell type mistake". Then other dude says, "Bucknell Bison.................North Dakota State Bison".

EarthPigFred
03-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Jay Bilas is a spot on, the phlock will definitely put this down as a W before the ball is tipped. Look for Cole Aldrich to have a sub par game and with the outside shooting of your guards Kansas will struggle the entire game. If the Bison don't take down the Jayhawks, round 2 will be a TKO. Carry on.

DJay23
03-17-2009, 12:59 AM
KU fan here.

I have to say I've lurked on here for the better part of the day, and I don't think you guys quite understand that most KU fans are not looking past anyone. Neither is the team. Losing to Baylor in the first round of your conference tourney will do that to you.

onbison09
03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
KU fan here.

I have to say I've lurked on here for the better part of the day, and I don't think you guys quite understand that most KU fans are not looking past anyone. Neither is the team. Losing to Baylor in the first round of your conference tourney will do that to you.
That might have been a bad thing for us. :( Coach Self will be riding the boys hard.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:02 AM
PigFred is an idiot. Anybody who pays attention to Kansas Basketball enough to come here and post with you guys knows very well that this is not the matchup we wanted. I wasn't this unsure about Bucknell or Bradley...put it that way.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:03 AM
That might have been a bad thing for us. :( Coach Self will be riding the boys hard.

Oh yes, he was not too pleased with the teams effort in the tourney. Said he will be riding them hard for the next couple practices since we have a long time to rest. Hopefully they get the message.

lakesbison
03-17-2009, 01:04 AM
WE ARE SMART ENOUGH TO REALIZE THAT MIZZOU FANS ARE BIGGER MORONS THAN KANSAS FANS.... ha ha ha... j./kiddin.

DJay23
03-17-2009, 01:05 AM

For my sake I hope that's true.

Coach Self admits in his book that the Bucknell loss was the worst he ever felt as a coach...and he'll do what he can to not repeat that.

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 01:10 AM
For my sake I hope that's true.

Coach Self admits in his book that the Bucknell loss was the worst he ever felt as a coach...and he'll do what he can to not repeat that.

Everything within his control that is.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/just_the_girl_1000/Homer_Simpson_214425m.jpg

Herd
03-17-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm waiting for someone/anyone to actually watch some tape and break down the game instead of the obligatory, "Kansas should win but can't overlook NDSU".

If someone would actually break down matchups, look at stats, consider experience, look at shooting, etc, etc . . . they'd give us a realistic shot. If we have a good effort with interior defense and play even on the boards, I like NDSU. I think we can win the shooting percentage battle with this team and win if we can control tempo and reduce TO's. Also, when they see our Baylor like unis, KU will fold.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm waiting for someone/anyone to actually watch some tape and break down the game instead of the obligatory, "Kansas should win but can't overlook NDSU".

If someone would actually break down matchups, look at stats, consider experience, look at shooting, etc, etc . . . they'd give us a realistic shot. If we have a good effort with interior defense and play even on the boards, I like NDSU. I think we can win the shooting percentage battle with this team and win if we can control tempo and reduce TO's. Also, when they see our Baylor like unis, KU will fold.

Would you care to break it down? That was pretty weak.

HaloHawk
03-17-2009, 01:31 AM

Not to disrespect NDSU at all but the two BCS conference schools you've played this year (USC, Minnesota), don't really have the athleticism/skill that KU has....

MontBison
03-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Come on you guys it's great that Jay Bilas likes our team and all but he proly thinks we have maybe a 10% chance at winning this game. Our odds are not great but the point being made is we ONLY NEED TO BEAT KU ONCE!!

westriver bison
03-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Not to disrespect NDSU at all but the two BCS conference schools you've played this year (USC, Minnesota), don't really have the athleticism/skill that KU has....

Not to disrespect KU at all but:) are all of your players caught up on their child support payments this year?

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Not to disrespect KU at all but:) are all of your players caught up on their child support payments this year?

They don't have to worry about that...they have NBA contracts waiting for them.

MontBison
03-17-2009, 01:43 AM

How many of your players will be playing in the league next year? Because USC could have a few and to say they lack athleticism/skill makes you look slighlty uneducated.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:50 AM
How many of your players will be playing in the league next year? Because USC could have a few and to say they lack athleticism/skill makes you look slighlty uneducated.

We have 2 that could go right away. Tyshawn has a future in the NBA in a year or two. Morris twins will if they keep improving at the rate they have been.

So 2 for sure..and 3 freshman will when they mature.

HaloHawk
03-17-2009, 01:50 AM

Next year? Well 2 if Collins and Aldrich both declared. USC..Taj Gibson...maybe. I forgot another factor, Head Coach. Tim Floyd couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

This is obviously a sore subject for you MontBison. Again, I had no intentions of ruffling some feathers. My apologies. :bow:

And about the child payments. It's really not cool to make jabs at players (Collins) who have lost a newborn son. :mad:

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Yo guys, another KU fan here, I'm sure you're not tired of us yet...

Before I give my take on the game, I just want to say that I listened to your coaches interview on the CBB podcast right after your win to get into the tourney. When I found out that you were our matchup I was a bit disappointed, not only b/c your story but more b/c I think you all should have been a 11/12 seed, no way 14.

Anyway I think the game will be close. For us the key will be guarding your PF. We've had trouble all year with 4s who could extend the floor. Conversely our size inside could give you guys some trouble. Not so much on the 4 and the 5 matchup, but potentially I think that we can over pursue our perimeter D and force you guys to have to take shot against Cole and Marcus. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as I don't know if you guys get 2s more from midrange or driving.

A potential wild card could be Tyshawn Taylor for us, who's really been coming on lately. If he and Sherron can get penetration past your man D it will be a field day for Cole on interior passing and put backs.

You guys seem to be an excellent rebounding team from the guard position. We've had trouble all year against guards who go hard after offensive boards, and defensive for that matter.

Anyway, I'm not making excuses and you shouldn't either, if we lose this game it's NOT going to be us looking past the Bison, it'll be a good team winning.

Worst of luck!:)

Mr. Burgundy
03-17-2009, 01:57 AM

Wow, the Kansas matchup is a nightmare for us, trust me....but, to say that you are more athletic than USC? WOW. You don't watch much ball do you. I respect Kansas, and wish you would respect a 1st year playoff eligible team in NDSU. USC is one of the most athletic teams in the dance this year...and it really isn't close. Again, we are a bigtime underdog, but have some respect. You are Kansas...we get it. You probably got a lucky draw, and we are going to take the Lou Holtz approach and hope we can hang with you guys. Pray to stay close. We have a great group of kids that will play their guts out. This is what we lived for. 5 years to get to one game. I know Bill Self will not overlook this program, I hope the fans learn to respect what we have been through as well.

NDSUstudent
03-17-2009, 01:58 AM

Umm no, I'd say USC is just as or even more athletic than KU and I wouldn't take any offense to that considering they have Taj Gibson and DeMar DeRozan.

tjbison
03-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow, the Kansas matchup is a nightmare for us, trust me....but, to say that you are more athletic than USC? WOW. You don't watch much ball do you. I respect Kansas, and wish you would respect a 1st year playoff eligible team in NDSU. USC is one of the most athletic teams in the dance this year...and it really isn't close. Again, we are a bigtime underdog, but have some respect. You are Kansas...we get it. You probably got a lucky draw, and we are going to take the Lou Holtz approach and hope we can hang with you guys. Pray to stay close. We have a great group of kids that will play their guts out. This is what we lived for. 5 years to get to one game. I know Bill Self will not overlook this program, I hope the fans learn to respect what we have been through as well.

POST OF THE WEEK!!!!!

still holding for the Month but this should be close

bison_05
03-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Is collins even a lock for the nba in the future? No smack here, but how many 5'11 pg's who shoot 41% in college make it to the nba.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 02:08 AM
I would say he is a lock to get on a roster at some point, he'll need to become more of a PG to make it in the League tho.

He's less out of position than a guy like Hansbrough and compares favorably to Lawson.

bison_05
03-17-2009, 02:12 AM
I would say he is a lock to get on a roster at some point, he'll need to become more of a PG to make it in the League tho.

He's less out of position than a guy like Hansbrough and compares favorably to Lawson.

I don't watch a lot of kansas games, but how does he compare to chalmers? (i'm still mad at the worthless wolves for trading him!)

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Yo guys, another KU fan here, I'm sure you're not tired of us yet...

Before I give my take on the game, I just want to say that I listened to your coaches interview on the CBB podcast right after your win to get into the tourney. When I found out that you were our matchup I was a bit disappointed, not only b/c your story but more b/c I think you all should have been a 11/12 seed, no way 14.

Anyway I think the game will be close. For us the key will be guarding your PF. We've had trouble all year with 4s who could extend the floor. Conversely our size inside could give you guys some trouble. Not so much on the 4 and the 5 matchup, but potentially I think that we can over pursue our perimeter D and force you guys to have to take shot against Cole and Marcus. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as I don't know if you guys get 2s more from midrange or driving.

A potential wild card could be Tyshawn Taylor for us, who's really been coming on lately. If he and Sherron can get penetration past your man D it will be a field day for Cole on interior passing and put backs.

You guys seem to be an excellent rebounding team from the guard position. We've had trouble all year against guards who go hard after offensive boards, and defensive for that matter.

Anyway, I'm not making excuses and you shouldn't either, if we lose this game it's NOT going to be us looking past the Bison, it'll be a good team winning.

Worst of luck!:)

OK WyoBison. Let me take care of this. Get something to eat for Christ's sake!

OK sir, I know you've gone through the initial screening process. Now we need to ask a series of secondary questions.

APPLICANT: TotallyBiasedFan

DATE: 3/16/09

REASON FOR APPLICATION:

EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY?:

ARE YOU A WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING? (aka a harmful interloper)

DO YOU PLAN TO CONTINUE THE FAVORABLE DEMEANOR DISPLYED SO FAR?

DO YOU HAVE ANY AMOUNT OF RESPECT FOR OUR "THUNDERING HERD"?

ARE YOU WILLING TO WITHSTAND THE OCCASIONAL LakesBison ANTI-KU RANT? (harmless as it may be)

DO YOU HAVE ANY TATTOOS OF NATIVE AMERICAN MEN WEARING HOCKEY GEAR?

All righty. That should do it. Appreciate your cooperation. I'm sure you'll understand that our security alert level is at a full blown level ORANGE at this time.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 02:30 AM
REASON FOR APPLICATION: Fun
EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY?
Nothing violent...
Sticks and stones...
I like talking about basketball.
I think you guys got screwed on your seeding, and therefore we got screwed on our matchup.
ARE YOU WILLING TO WITHSTAND THE OCCASIONAL LakesBison ANTI-KU RANT? (harmless as it may be)
Sticks and stones...
DO YOU HAVE ANY TATTOOS OF NATIVE AMERICAN MEN WEARING HOCKEY GEAR? Well, I'm Indian Indian (parents from punjab) and we've been known to whoop some ass in field hockey, so, in short, NO.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 02:32 AM
I don't watch a lot of kansas games, but how does he compare to chalmers? (i'm still mad at the worthless wolves for trading him!)

Not as good on D, not as good passer, worse handles, less size. Better taking it the hoop, better at creating on O, zone buster when on. His hot is Hotter and his cold is probably a bit like it would be for you to take a walk outside in February.

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 02:36 AM

Welcome aboard!
I can assure you that based on your honesty and willingness to participate in one of Izzy's ridiculous screenings, the level of scrutiny applied to your visit will be minimized.....so help me Jebus.
http://images1.cafepress.com/product/1525901v1_350x350_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg
P.S. Your shirt's in the mail.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2009, 02:36 AM
REASON FOR APPLICATION: Fun
EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY?
Nothing violent...
Sticks and stones...
I like talking about basketball.
I think you guys got screwed on your seeding, and therefore we got screwed on our matchup.
Sticks and stones...
DO YOU HAVE ANY TATTOOS OF NATIVE AMERICAN MEN WEARING HOCKEY GEAR? Well, I'm Indian Indian (parents from punjab) and we've been known to whoop some ass in field hockey, so, in short, NO.

Hell.....that is funny stuff!!!!!!!!!!! This one is IN!!!!!:rofl:

Good work Izzy.....:D :rofl:

ndsubison1
03-17-2009, 03:28 AM

I would say USC is one of the most athletic teams out there... Daniel Hackett, Dwight Lewis, Demarr Derozan, Taj Gibson, Leon Washington, Marcus Johnson...

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 03:34 AM
I would say USC is one of the most athletic teams out there... Daniel Hackett, Dwight Lewis, Demarr Derozan, Taj Gibson, Leon Washington, Marcus Johnson...

He might have meant the most athletic team that plays basketball...not streetball. :p

I kid, USC is probably more athletic than us...we are one of the few teams out there with a true center. It hinders our athleticism a bit, but makes it very hard to match up with.

MontBison
03-17-2009, 04:51 AM
He might have meant the most athletic team that plays basketball...not streetball. :p

I kid, USC is probably more athletic than us...we are one of the few teams out there with a true center. It hinders our athleticism a bit, but makes it very hard to match up with.

True Center? Hell your not even the best team in your conference with a true center.

KU1985Alum
03-17-2009, 04:55 AM

The thing I noticed statistically is that your greatest apparent strength is shooting 3s. 5th in the nation I believe. So why do the Bison only shoot about 30% of their FG shot attempts from 3 if they are such a high percentage?

The other thing that concerns me as a Jayhawk fan is do you think your coach will try to teach the team to play zone (since that's what's held the Hawks down defensively the most lately)? Or do you think he will stick with playing "what got us here" and play man to man D against KU?

I do respect what your program has done. 1st time in over 15 years that the first year a team is D1 eligible that they made it to the dance. Congrats.

lakesbison
03-17-2009, 05:00 AM
i would LOVE a zone on friday, but NO WAY JOSE..... i've never seen us in a zone all year.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 05:07 AM
I'm not a MU fan. KU all the way. You'll know those are our weakness if you watch our losses. That's what NDSU should TRY to do, whether they will/can/want to will be decided later.

PS: Who has a better true center? If you say OU then you're exposing your ignorance of basketball...

NDSUstudent
03-17-2009, 05:22 AM
The thing I noticed statistically is that your greatest apparent strength is shooting 3s. 5th in the nation I believe. So why do the Bison only shoot about 30% of their FG shot attempts from 3 if they are such a high percentage?

The other thing that concerns me as a Jayhawk fan is do you think your coach will try to teach the team to play zone (since that's what's held the Hawks down defensively the most lately)? Or do you think he will stick with playing "what got us here" and play man to man D against KU?

I do respect what your program has done. 1st time in over 15 years that the first year a team is D1 eligible that they made it to the dance. Congrats.

We have four guys that can shoot threes but our offense is geared on executing and getting a quality shot. Layups and mid range jumpers are better shots, nobody on our team is afraid of taking the ball to the basket.

1-4 in our lineup can go on a three point shooting tear if need be, but the team is not going to settle on just jacking up threes. When Woodside scored 60 points it had little to do with three point shooting and everything to do with attacking the basket and either getting a layup or fouled. A lot of people forget that he is nationally ranked in the top 5 in free throws made.

ndsubison1
03-17-2009, 05:25 AM
We should be fine I mean Kansas cant win away from their home court anyways...

"Cant win Road games"...

haha J/K... but seriously KU cant win away from Allen Fieldhouse...

lakesbison
03-17-2009, 05:25 AM
woodside NEVER EVER attacked the basket at sioux falls...

maybe saving it for friday???

heckler
03-17-2009, 05:31 AM
we putting ku on suicide watch yet?

NDSUstudent
03-17-2009, 05:33 AM

I wouldn't be suprised, Cole Aldrich is going to limit him but if Aldrich gets into foul trouble watch out.

ndsubison1
03-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Hopefully our jumpshots are falling cuz it will be hard to attack with Aldrich in the middle... lets take it to him right away and get him in foul trouble

SlickVic
03-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Hopefully our jumpshots are falling cuz it will be hard to attack with Aldrich in the middle... lets take it to him right away and get him in foul trouble

if aldrich is in the middle that means moormans wide open and we got them right where we want them

NDSUstudent
03-17-2009, 05:47 AM
if aldrich is in the middle that means moormans wide open and we got them right where we want them

I would love to see Luke come in and bury a few jumpers right away, nobody ever respects his jumper.

ndsubison1
03-17-2009, 05:48 AM

that would be very ideal... get Moorman some jumpers from the basline and the wing... i know you love those. make Aldrich have to account for him, cant let them be all over our guards

westnodak93bison
03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
HaloHawk, didnt Floyd do decent job at Iowa State? Not exactly the easiest place to recruit B12 talent.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:17 PM

So by this you mean that Moorman can shoot from the perimeter? Yea, Aldrich is not guarding him then, not matter his size. We are not stupid enough to take him away from the basket.

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Either you're trying to "throw them off" or just don't remember but the drive/layup at the 3:35 mark. Made possible by Tveidts outstanding insticts galloping clear across the court setting a beautiful screen. Huge basket pulling the Bison to within 1 at 62-61.

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
I would love to see Luke come in and bury a few jumpers right away, nobody ever respects his jumper.

Well, he's gonna get his chances because I guarentee you that Aldrich will not leave the paint on the high screen. So, if the drive is squashed, Moormann becomes the open shooter up top.

heckler
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, he's gonna get his chances because I guarentee you that Aldrich will not leave the paint on the high screen. So, if the drive is squashed, Moormann becomes the open shooter up top.

I'll take those points.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 01:58 PM

Like I said, Cole will not be guarding a player with perimeter potential. If it is really that much of a mismatch you will see a 1-3-1 or something with a half-court trap...we are going to force you to push the ball inside.

heckler
03-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Like I said, Cole will not be guarding a player with perimeter potential. If it is really that much of a mismatch you will see a 1-3-1 or something with a half-court trap...we are going to force you to push the ball inside.

Well then I guess we can just post this and save us some time from even coming down

http://www.wearyourbeer.com/images/Nintendo_Game_Over_Mushroom_Black_Shirt.jpg

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Well then I guess we can just post this and save us some time from even coming down

http://www.wearyourbeer.com/images/Nintendo_Game_Over_Mushroom_Black_Shirt.jpg

Don't cry about it...I'm just saying Bill Self would never be stupid enough to take Cole away from the basket. Our biggest advantage over you is having Cole down in the paint changing shots and snagging boards.

heckler
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Don't cry about it...I'm just saying Bill Self would never be stupid enough to take Cole away from the basket. Our biggest advantage over you is having Cole down in the paint changing shots and snagging boards.

Can't snag 41% of our 3's.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Can't snag 41% of our 3's.

You shoot 3% higher from 3...not a huge difference.

And you have only made 20 more throughout the season.

jkjhawk
03-17-2009, 02:57 PM
It's going to be a tough for KU to match up with all of those shooters. NDSU will get open looks.

They'll have four guys on the floor at the same time who can hit outside shots. To cover all of them, KU would have to play small or play zone. Neither is our strength.

I'm sure Self's preference is neither... but rather to pressure and force turnovers making NDSU's offense a moot point. If NDSU controls the ball the whole game, they'll actually have a big advantage IMO.

99Bison
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM

If Aldrich doesn't leave the paint and they are playing man, Woody will shoot off the Moorman screen all day... I doubt KU wants this to happen. Maybe they will go zone or just apply continuous ball pressure.

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 03:36 PM

I think what he's saying (not crying) is that the half court trap is only effective against teams that don't have at least 2 legitimate players that can get the ball over the time line without getting trapped. Or at least...if they do get trapped, they're smart enough and poised enough not to let that situation result in a turnover=fastbreak= layup. This 1-3-1 half court trap is most often seen when teams are severely weak at the 1 or 2 positions. This is how teams (like 14, 15, or 16 seeds) can be blown out by 40+. It's definately not because of a controlled half court game. Highly athletic teams put this kind of pressure on early and often against very weak teams in order to get their foot on their throat and keep it there. Now, is Kansas more athletic? Of course. Will this type of pressure cause fits for NDSU? Yes. But not all day. If this defense is employed it will cause some problems but I don't think it will lead to any sort of blow out or unmanagable situation.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I think what he's saying (not crying) is that the half court trap is only effective against teams that don't have at least 2 legitimate players that can get the ball over the time line without getting trapped. Or at least...if they do get trapped, they're smart enough and poised enough not to let that situation result in a turnover=fastbreak= layup. This 1-3-1 half court trap is most often seen when teams are severely weak at the 1 or 2 positions. This is how teams (like 14, 15, or 16 seeds) can be blown out by 40+. It's definately not because of a controlled half court game. Highly athletic teams put this kind of pressure on early and often against very weak teams in order to get their foot on their throat and keep it there. Now, is Kansas more athletic? Of course. Will this type of pressure cause fits for NDSU? Yes. But not all day. If this defense is employed it will cause some problems but I don't think it will lead to any sort of blow out or unmanagable situation.

Man-to-man is our bread and butter, but we go to zone if we have matchups that just don't work...and we do it fairly well. The one thing you won't see is the same defense from us the entire game..we will give you a few different looks. I am just saying don't be surprised to see some sort of half court trap to get you to attack the basket more than just sit on the perimeter, where we are usually weak.

bisonmike2
03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Hopefully we don't get hit with the curse of Minnesota. For whatever reason, this group of guys can't shoot for shiat in the state of Minnesota. Thankfully the game is at the Metrodome and not the Barn. Hopefully that's enough to break the curse right there.

KU1985Alum
03-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Maybe that's because he's only attempted 5 3s all season and made only 1 of them?

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
If Aldrich doesn't leave the paint and they are playing man, Woody will shoot off the Moorman screen all day... I doubt KU wants this to happen. Maybe they will go zone or just apply continuous ball pressure.

You guys obviously haven't watch KU play (which is fine considering I haven't watched NDSU) Cole hedges off the high screen every time, and having a 7'3 wingspan that pushes the switch about 6 feet deep. I'm sure Woody can nail that deep NBA three, but at 46%? probably not so much.

And, yes, that will give moorman a look for the pick and pop, but that won't be an uncontested jumper from the top of the key, that'll be a contested jumper at the three point line.

I know all your guys are NBA talent and will hit every shot, but it will still be tough.

///Also know that Woody is much better than AJ Abrams...

KU1985Alum
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM

I have to disagree. I've seen Cole out on the perimeter numerous times (and it makes me nervous each time he does it) where he actually double teams the ball handler briefly when his man is a screener.

TAILG8R
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I know all your guys are NBA talent and will hit every shot, but it will still be tough.

At least you have a good understanding of the talent on our team. ;)

NDSUstudent
03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe that's because he's only attempted 5 3s all season and made only 1 of them?

3s are out of his range, but he can bury the mid-range jumper if left open.

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Man-to-man is our bread and butter, but we go to zone if we have matchups that just don't work...and we do it fairly well. The one thing you won't see is the same defense from us the entire game..we will give you a few different looks. I am just saying don't be surprised to see some sort of half court trap to get you to attack the basket more than just sit on the perimeter, where we are usually weak.

100% agree. Teams at the level of a Kansas are so athletic and so well coached that they can change and even manipulate defenses in the blink of an eye. This aint high school ball where even grandma can tell the difference between a zone and a man. Coaches have evolved so much that defenses are so specialized and disguised that by the time an offensive counter measure is employed it's changed again.
Saul and his staff will be burning the midnight oil preparing for this one.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Box and 1 on Woody if he has more than 15 at half?

:hungry: You never know

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Box and 1 on Woody if he has more than 15 at half?

:hungry: You never know

We went to a triangle and 2 to shut down Clemente/Pullen. I think the Bison have too many shooting threats for that though.

SlickVic
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
sav was saying he thinks sharon all guard nelson...if that happens not going to be good for the rock chalks...collins wont have much left come crunch time if hes forced to chase nelson around all game long not to mention being hounded everytime he has the ball...our bench better be good we can win this game i dont see any way we dont cover the 10 or whatever its up to now...im comfortable with are chances should we (and i think we will) force them to play zone...im playing the money line people ;)

MontBison
03-17-2009, 04:31 PM
If luke takes more than 10 shots we won't have a chance.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
sav was saying he thinks sharon all guard nelson...if that happens not going to be good for the rock chalks...collins wont have much left come crunch time if hes forced to chase nelson around all game long not to mention being hounded everytime he has the ball...our bench better be good we can win this game i dont see any way we dont cover the 10 or whatever its up to now...im comfortable with are chances should we (and i think we will) force them to play zone...im playing the money line people ;)

Who's sav?

My guess is Sherron on Woody, Taylor on Nelson, Cole on Moorman and then Marcus or Brady Morningstar on Winkleman or Tveidt.

TheDoctor
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Talked to someone today and just to put to rest any rumors that we may be switching to a 2-3 zone to slow down Kansas, he said "We are sticking to what got us here (man-to-man). We can guard them." So there you have it, were sticking to man. ;)

KU1985Alum
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
One thing Sherron is used to is guarding one of the opposition's best players. If you watched the NC last year, KU started coming back when Sherron guarded #1 draft pick Derrick Rose. This year he switched on to guarding super freshman Willie Warren at OU and took him out of his game when he was killing us. Warren is projected as a lotto pick to the NBA this year BTW.

As far as him being tired because he's getting hounded all game..

1) Collins is used to the opposition's best player guarding him because he's our high scorer and the engine that makes the Jayhawks go (just like Woodside is to the Bison). I actually think it's a natural matchup for Collins to guard Woodside since they're both 5-11 PGs.

2) During the tourney there are so many TV breaks that it gives players more rest than in games throughout the season. I think they get less tired than normal from the physical aspect. Now the mental fatigue? That's a different story.

Realize that Collins is the prototypical PG that every team would like to have this time of year: He's an athletic tank. He's a scorer. He's lightning quick and can be a 1 man fast break. He can break his defender down off the dribble. He can shoot the from the perimeter with very little space. He can dish to post or open wing shooter. He's been there before on the biggest stage (last years NC). He seems to shine when the pressure is on. He's the team leader. He's tough as nails. Collins is the main reason I feel confident about our chances to win this Friday.

seanr9ne
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Talked to someone today and just to put to rest any rumors that we may be switching to a 2-3 zone to slow down Kansas, he said "We are sticking to what got us here (man-to-man). We can guard them." So there you have it, were sticking to man. ;)

Not to bash your team...but you have a much better chance at beating us by playing a zone. We have 7 guys who are solid at taking it the to hole. We have 2-3 who are solid from the perimeter.

TotallyBiasedFan
03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Serious question here. We've heard alot about your guys' senior 4 and starting 5. How is your bench this year?

KU1985Alum
03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Forgive me for asking since I'm new to your board, are you someone close to the team or coaching staff?

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Not to bash your team...but you have a much better chance at beating us by playing a zone. We have 7 guys who are solid at taking it the to hole. We have 2-3 who are solid from the perimeter.

Holy Christ!
If you've got 7 guys that can take it to the hole we better play zone!
.................................................. .................................................. .......Oh, you didn't mean 7 guys on the floor at one time.:D

SlickVic
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Serious question here. We've heard alot about your guys' senior 4 and starting 5. How is your bench this year?

mediocre on a good night.....

IzzyFlexion
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Not real deep. Especially bigs.
Bench contribution has been adequate through conference play IMO, but against a high major, it could get dicey.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Not real deep. Especially bigs.
Bench contribution has been adequate through conference play IMO, but against a high major, it could get dicey.

Absolutely agree with that. If we have to go deep to the bench it will not be good.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Forgive me for asking since I'm new to your board, are you someone close to the team or coaching staff?

hmmm......we have a perceptive one here.....;)

Herd
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Because . . . you shoot a high percentage from 3 by taking quality 3's, not just jacking up attempts. NDSU works the shot clock to get easy looks, they kickout for 3's when they have open looks. NDSU prefers to goto the hole as a first priority, then kicks out for quality 3's.

Herd
03-17-2009, 05:46 PM
mediocre on a good night.....

We have some good defenders coming off the bench . . . Coleman, Flowers, Goose, Pennick . . . but not much scoring punch.

Herd
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Not going to happen unless its for 1 trip after a full court press. Not Saul's style. As for KU being more athletic than USC and MN, no not really, especially USC. You don't get much more athletic than USC, the whole game is above the rim.

KU1985Alum
03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Not going to happen unless its for 1 trip after a full court press. Not Saul's style. As for KU being more athletic than USC and MN, no not really, especially USC. You don't get much more athletic than USC, the whole game is above the rim.
Man to man is really good news for Jayhawk fans.

I've watched USC play quite a few times and although I agree that their big scoring 4 (Gibson, Lewis - previously committed to KU, Derozan, and Hacket) are more athletic than Cole, Morris twins, and Morningstar, they don't have a PG or combo guard as athletic as either Sherron or Taylor. Plus our bench is definitely more athletic than theirs with Little and Releford.

More importantly though, they try to rely on their athleticism too much. Self uses the athletic matchups KU has to our advantage, but really in the scope of a well designed offensive scheme - Hi Low, screen penetration, dribble drive and kick, ect.

So while we might be slightly less athletic than USC, and certainly younger and less matured in their individual games, I think Self runs the team more offensively disciplined than USC.

TheDoctor
03-17-2009, 08:20 PM

Yes.......... ;)

Bisonguy
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Hmmmm...... Jedi mind trick or hath B1SON thrown the team under the bus for an autographed Boschee jersey??

Guess we'll find out Friday..................

GOB1SON
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Hmmmm...... Jedi mind trick or hath B1SON thrown the team under the bus for an autographed Boschee jersey??

That's funny!!!!

TheDoctor
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM

Lets talk about this....how about the Boschee article in the paper today. A.) He went to Kansas so he's going to be a homer and B.) his brother played at UND so to me the article was depressing. He asked good ol' Roy to play them in GF, not the Bison in Fargo (back when he was a senior). Not an intersteing article to say the least. I like Jeff by the way. I student coached with his basketball team in VC his senior year. Great guy, but Kolpack was barking up the wrong tree with that interview. ;)

NDSUstudent
03-18-2009, 04:17 AM
Lets talk about this....how about the Boschee article in the paper today. A.) He went to Kansas so he's going to be a homer and B.) his brother played at UND so to me the article was depressing. He asked good ol' Roy to play them in GF, not the Bison in Fargo (back when he was a senior). Not an intersteing article to say the least. I like Jeff by the way. I student coached with his basketball team in VC his senior year. Great guy, but Kolpack was barking up the wrong tree with that interview. ;)

It would be cool to see a McDermott article, considering he is a former NDSU coach and now Big 12 coach.

TheDoctor
03-18-2009, 04:25 AM
It would be cool to see a McDermott article, considering he is a former NDSU coach and now Big 12 coach.

Agreed...In fact, Holstrom did a phone interview with him on the news tonight and it was 100% better than the Boschee interview! ;)

NDSUstudent
03-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Agreed...In fact, Holstrom did a phone interview with him on the news tonight and it was 100% better than the Boschee interview! ;)

He was on with Scotty Miller tonight as well but I couldn't listen to it. But I did like listening to him to tell Hallstrom that we have a shot, it was definitely much better than Boschee saying what everyone knew he was going to say.

Also what about Andre Smith? That would an interesting article and the Forum hasn't even mentioned that the guy is tearing it up in Europe anywhere.

TheDoctor
03-18-2009, 06:01 AM
He was on with Scotty Miller tonight as well but I couldn't listen to it. But I did like listening to him to tell Hallstrom that we have a shot, it was definitely much better than Boschee saying what everyone knew he was going to say.

Also what about Andre Smith? That would an interesting article and the Forum hasn't even mentioned that the guy is tearing it up in Europe anywhere.

No kidding...there isn't a senior on this team that wouldn't say they are where they are in small part thanks to the confidence they gained quickly playing with Andre. ;)

lakesbison
03-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Bilas Is Ballin With Ndsu!!!