PDA

View Full Version : It Is Was It Is

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm really tired of the continuing go-around between our two universities about how important each others' programs are. They're important to the fans of each school...and more importantly...the players.

On the other side of it...the criticism by insignificant media types in the region (or ignoring us, etc, etc) is provincial, meaning that these people are narrow-minded, and are simply playing to their audience. It's kind of like cable news. Each station plays to a select audience and preaches to the choir. This type of media is mostly irrelevant, and the more attention we give them, the more they like it. The media is a strange beast. It's market-driven, and most of it has little to do with real news.

The Bison Nation has grown exponentially because of the accomplishments of many Bison teams over the years. I won't name the obvious huge wins over the past few years. I've never seen anything like this in the state of North Dakota. I was in total amazement to learn that 20-30 thousand people showed up at the baggie in 2007. That pretty much says it all. The North Dakota (state) audience for the NCAA game will be absolutely huge...and the national audience is an automatic monster.

The indifference by some media types is like flies. Just get out the swatter, or spray for them. How about a moratorium on giving some of the media idiots what they want...meaning...attention?? And include responding to extreme idiots that try to pull us into the argument about our two great universities.

:cool:

IzzyFlexion
03-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Even among some of its sparsley populated neighboring states, North Dakota is and always will be the quintessential underdog state.
-very low population.
-an incomparably brutal climate.(furthest north)
-no large cities. (not akin to agriculturally favorable acreage)
-not a lot of dramatic topography. (gives passers-through a reason to call it boring and then go home and tell that to anyone that will listen).

These factors, among others, make it very unlikely that the Peace Garden State will ever achieve a high degree of national notoriety. In addition, this short list above carries with it dozens of implications for this perpetuating struggle to "be liked" such as negative immigration, lack of tourism, and a tough draw for new and expanding companies.
It's no wonder that most North Dakotans are so elated about this NCAA basketball tournament berth. In sports or otherwise, it's really hard to "act like you've been there" when you've hardly ever been there.

A1pigskin
03-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Could it be that the other University and doesn't like us seeing them in the rearview mirror? About for semis behind.

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
[quote=IzzyFlexion;264246]Even among some of its sparsley populated neighboring states, North Dakota is and always will be the quintessential underdog state.quote]

Good comments & thoughts Izzy. It all makes sense. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I think that a lot of us would like our state to get more attention...but if it did...it would change to the point where we wouldn't recognize it. I live in an area where too much attention has created an environment that is almost a tragedy. Think I'd prefer the North Dakota model. :nod:

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Could it be that the other University and doesn't like us seeing them in the rearview mirror? About for semis behind.

I'm sure that you're right. Jealousy is a powerful thing.

Bison bison
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
The right metaphor is: Ignorance is bliss.

devin45k
03-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Ben Maller would be pissed at the title of this thread

CaBisonFan
03-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Ben Maller would be pissed at the title of this thread

That's very cool. His kind of reporting is exactly what I'm talking about.

:cool: