PDA

View Full Version : Virg Foss Puts Down NDSU's Berth

Bison101
03-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Virg Foss= serious tool. Foss tries to say that UND hockey has a far greater story this year than NDSU's basketball team, and says that Ryan Duncan winning the Hobey Baker is a better story than NDSU's berth in the Big Dance. Here's the article:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/110592/group/Sports/

Bison101
03-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Whoops... sorry i didn't see this in the NATIONAL NEWS sticky. :hide:

Gully
03-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh, come on! Seriously? Hockey, what are there like 50 DI hockey teams? It's a nice little niche sport and they should be proud of their accomplishments but comparing it to a trip to the big dance? Not even close.

56BISON73
03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Virg Foss= serious tool. Foss tries to say that UND hockey has a far greater story this year than NDSU's basketball team, and says that Ryan Duncan winning the Hobey Baker is a better story than NDSU's berth in the Big Dance. Here's the article:

Actually the artical wasnt bad considering it came from a hockey fan.He gave his opinion and why.
I took no offense to it as he did give the appropriate props.

Golden Eagle
03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh, come on! Seriously? Hockey, what are there like 50 DI hockey teams? It's a nice little niche sport and they should be proud of their accomplishments but comparing it to a trip to the big dance? Not even close.

Hockey is a great sport and I wish it was more popular down here but... making the NCAA's in hoops is much much bigger deal. There aren't exactly pools in every office in the country for hockey every year.

EVERY basketball fan will have to look at the name NDSU whether they have heard of them or not when filling out their bracket. That is pretty big.

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Bigger story in the UND Hockey community. That's about it. NHL Hockey is having a heckuva time keeping its television contract...with anyone.

It's another example of the GF mentality toward what NDSU does. Still, on SS most have been pretty doggone nice about this whole thing. :nod:

lakesbison
03-14-2009, 05:21 PM
who gives a _ _ _ _!!

i have been vocal against them.

but now I say we have to IGNORE them, EVERYONE. as a group, need to ignore them.

*Bisonrube
03-14-2009, 05:28 PM
When a UND fans bring up their great D1 hockey tradition, I love to mock them and remind them that they pale in comparison to the DOMINATION Johns Hopkins has had in D1 Lacrosse. What you don't care about Lacrosse. Lacrosse=Hockey

Tatanka
03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
UND certainly does have a good story to tell in hockey. They are routinely one of the best teams in the country and have top talent. They have won seven national championships. NDSU's success does not diminish that. But that's a matter of perspective.

IMO what we're seeing here is another hyper-reactive all-out blitz by the U and its supporters, a la the post-D-I-announcement trashing of everything NDSU athletics. It's quite possibly a reflection of a perceived loss of relevance. Whether or not that loss is real, the reaction seems to suggest that it is.

If it wasn't a big deal, there would be no response.

ndsubison1
03-14-2009, 06:05 PM
When a UND fans bring up their great D1 hockey tradition, I love to mock them and remind them that they pale in comparison to the DOMINATION Johns Hopkins has had in D1 Lacrosse. What you don't care about Lacrosse. Lacrosse=Hockey

i agree, it pretty much gets the same exposure... and they havent even been as dominant as John Hopkins has

Shawn-O
03-14-2009, 06:13 PM
who gives a _ _ _ _!!

i have been vocal against them.

but now I say we have to IGNORE them, EVERYONE. as a group, need to ignore them.

Fine. Why do you keep coming onto these UND threads screaming and hollering dude? Physician.....heal thyself.

Shawn-O
03-14-2009, 06:24 PM
UND certainly does have a good story to tell in hockey. They are routinely one of the best teams in the country and have top talent. They have won seven national championships. NDSU's success does not diminish that. But that's a matter of perspective.

IMO what we're seeing here is another hyper-reactive all-out blitz by the U and its supporters, a la the post-D-I-announcement trashing of everything NDSU athletics. It's quite possibly a reflection of a perceived loss of relevance. Whether or not that loss is real, the reaction seems to suggest that it is.

I appreciate your comments regarding the hockey program. With that said, Virg Foss' writing reflects his opinion, and his opinion only. It does not reflect the mood or sentiment of the University, it's alumni, or financial supporters.

Herd
03-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Guys like Virg are gettig pretty skilled at tyring to downplay accomplishments by NDSU. They are getting lots of experience the last few years.

This article does warrant your concern or deserve comment.

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I appreciate your comments regarding the hockey program. With that said, Virg Foss' writing reflects his opinion, and his opinion only. It does not reflect the mood or sentiment of the University, it's alumni, or financial supporters.

Having grown up in Mayville and having been a fan of both universities, I find the media spin out of Grand Forks to be more of the same thing that has brought us to where we are now. No competition...and little real relevance in terms of my desire to see it return.

Still, as I wrote earlier, things have been pretty civil on SS. I don't write there, but I've checked it out a couple of times just to see what the buzz is. Frankly, I don't see the point in writing on another university's board, unless you're a real fan.

Shawn-O
03-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Having grown up in Mayville and having been a fan of both universities, I find the media spin out of Grand Forks to be more of the same thing that has brought us to where we are now. No competition...and little real relevance in terms of my desire to see it return.

Still, as I wrote earlier, things have been pretty civil on SS. I don't write there, but I've checked it out a couple of times just to see what the buzz is. Frankly, I don't see the point in writing on another university's board, unless you're a real fan.

That would make for a lot of very dull message boards, don't you think? I enjoy putting the group-think aside and reading other perspectives. I guess someone like SloStang for example, has no business here either?

roadwarrior
03-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Virg Foss must be related to Dave DeLand. :D

Jdubs21
03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
he's just trying to take some attention away from their mens bball team HAHAHAHAHA

Tatanka
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Fair enough Shawn. My writing solely reflects my opinion as well. My opinion here is where there's smoke, there's at least some sort of open flame, and there's been a healthy amount of smoke mixed in with the civility and positive wishes. We can each draw our own conclusions.

CA, I also hope that we can all see there's a difference between posters from other schools like Shawn-O, Hambone, SLOStang, etc. that add value to this board, even if they aren't in lock-step with the prevailing opinion. All I'm saying is there's a clear difference between these folks and trolls like MPLSBison, GottaEarnIt, et. al.

IzzyFlexion
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
What is the connection betwen Roger Maris and Grand Forks?
Just askin'

td577
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
It is interesting the commentary by ol' virgie doesn't have the option to publicly comment.

He writes for the herald, draws retirement from the herald, and had made a career shoving his head as far up und ass as possible and anyone would expect him to change colors now? I am not surprised by his commentary nor moved by it either. He has remained loyal to the pink and green and I would be shocked if he were to turn his back now.

WYOBISONMAN
03-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Virg Foss is just an ignorant old monkey spanker. His senile drivel is meaningless........now Virg.......go monkey spanking.

Shawn-O
03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Virg Foss is just an ignorant old monkey spanker. His senile drivel is meaningless........now Virg.......go monkey spanking.

The guy was my customer when I bartended and I tend to agree. And he had gone on the wagon and was drinking DIET COKE for God's sake, and didn't tip worth a shit.

Now the good. I love the work he's done regarding the history of Fighting Sioux hockey.

Bison_Pride
03-14-2009, 09:28 PM
The guy was my customer when I bartended and I tend to agree. And he had gone on the wagon and was drinking DIET COKE for God's sake, and didn't tip worth a shit.

Now the good. I love the work he's done regarding the history of Fighting Sioux hockey.

Years ago I used to deal blackjack to him at Southgate, he was a nightmare customer. He wouldn't go away and he never tipped at all. I asked him once why he wasn't at the UND hockey game and he said that the Herald didn't pay him to attend the games, so he wasn't going. He was the guy that insisted that Herb Brooks told Zack Pariese to go to UND, which Brooks himself denied. He was also the one that caused Ed Schultz to leave the football play-by-play when he fanned the flames between Ed and then athletic director Dean Blais. The Herald just accepts one of his NDSU bashing columns once every year, other than that he is not on their payroll. It's sad, I've never seen him write a positive column yet, without trying to play sides against someone else. I guess that's his way of trying to stay relevant.

Shawn-O
03-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Years ago I used to deal blackjack to him at Southgate, he was a nightmare customer. He wouldn't go away and he never tipped at all. I asked him once why he wasn't at the UND hockey game and he said that the Herald didn't pay him to attend the games, so he wasn't going. He was the guy that insisted that Herb Brooks told Zack Pariese to go to UND, which Brooks himself denied. He was also the one that caused Ed Schultz to leave the football play-by-play when he fanned the flames between Ed and then athletic director Dean Blais. The Herald just accepts one of his NDSU bashing columns once every year, other than that he is not on their payroll. It's sad, I've never seen him write a positive column yet, without trying to play sides against someone else. I guess that's his way of trying to stay relevant.

I think you mean Wanless or Thomas as the AD. Dean has never been the AD at UND.

Bison_Pride
03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah, it was Blais, but he wasn't the AD I guess. This from Wiki:

"During a substitute hosting stint on a Minneapolis-based sports show in January 2003, Schultz called Sioux hockey coach Dean Blais a "jerk" and "bush league." Blais called for Schultz's removal from UND athletic broadcasts."

99Bison
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
One comment on this deal...

This Big Dance event is the single biggest national sports story in ND history.

Some people of North Dakota itself may not think so because of their own scope of awareness of the world, but the national media does and will be proving it over and over again the next 5 days.

It's not just the random fact that this team made the tournament. It's also the story behind it. If people don't know what's going on don't comment, they should educate first... off soap box now.

Comparing being a media target to start off the second biggest sporting event in the United States to DI hockey, FCS football or DII football is completely rediculous.

WYOBISONMAN
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, it was Blais, but he wasn't the AD I guess. This from Wiki:

"During a substitute hosting stint on a Minneapolis-based sports show in January 2003, Schultz called Sioux hockey coach Dean Blais a "jerk" and "bush league." Blais called for Schultz's removal from UND athletic broadcasts."

And...it still amazes me how stupid Big Ed could be at times.

Bison bison
03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
But someone had to win the Summit League postseason basketball tournament and earn the bid to the NCAA tournament.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written by a sports reporter.

NDSU1980
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Actually the artical wasnt bad considering it came from a hockey fan.He gave his opinion and why.
I took no offense to it as he did give the appropriate props.

I saw it this morning and took offense to it. Reason #712 why we don't play und for the next 10,000 years.

Swany
03-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Is this guy serious? For him to compare college hockey to March Madness is ludicrous (and I don't mean the rapper). For Mr. Foss to say that until NDSU or UND wins a game in the big dance that this story ranks down the list to other North Dakota sporting events is laughable. Unless something seriously changes with the mindset at UND, they are unlikely to find themselves in a conference anytime in the near future. For him to even lump UND in with NDSU with regards to winning a game in the tournament is silly. UND has zero shot at making this tournament in the next ten years. Not because they couldn't compete at the same level, but because they have no conference in which to compete.

Given the remarkable success enjoyed by NDSU on the Division I level, UND athletics has become irrelevant. Until UND gets into a conference, they will continue to be irrelevant. I say that not out of malice or any disrespect toward UND. I say that because it is the truth and a byproduct of NDSU's success. The more time that lapses before they get into a conference, the greater the gap grows between NDSU and UND.

I think this would be a great column for Mike McFeely, that is, how NDSU's decision to move to DI as compared to UND's delay in making the move, has seriously cost the University of North Dakota. That is another story that emerges from NDSU's birth in the Big Dance. NDSU got to the moon first when nobody thought they'd even get into orbit for ten years. UND is nowhere even close to getting to that moon - and by the time they do - it will be a back page story as NDSU will have already "been there, done that."

While Mr. Foss is surely entitled to his opinion, and with all due respect to the accomplishments of the UND hockey team, the ignorance embodied in that opinion is symbolic of those who will forever feel that UND is somehow better than NDSU - regardless of the fact it is 2009 (not 1979). NDSU is pushing UND all over the playground. The longer they live under such a veil, the greater the gap grows between North Dakota's two premier universities. The enrollment numbers, growing national exposure of NDSU, etc. etc., is not a coincidence of NDSU's decision to move, and its successes at, the DI level. They are a byproduct. Until UND grasps this gap, they will only continue to grow in irrelevance.

56BISON73
03-14-2009, 11:20 PM
I saw it this morning and took offense to it. Reason #712 why we don't play und for the next 10,000 years.

Thats a well thought out reason. LOL:D
Still cant see what was so offensive about it.

Mr. Burgundy
03-14-2009, 11:33 PM
If you put all of the D1 hockey programs on a NCAA basketball bracket....you wouldn't even fill a large portion of the bracket. I am as big a sports geek as you will find, and hockey does nothing for me. That is just my opinion. It never meant anything in my family. That is just the way it was. I respect what UND has done, and have had a nice conversation about how and why I like their head coach alot. Great guy. To compare the two sports in regards to their importance in March is pretty silly.

I also get really PISSED at people that say....the Bison are a "One and Done" anyway. Dude, 5 years ago we SUCKED in D2. SUCKED. Now we are going to the dance. ENJOY THE SEASON (Mike Tice Quote from KFAN). If we can get to the dance once a decade, I am happy. This is the thrill of a lifetime for a hoops fan.

The brackets coming out will cause a buzz that Virg Foss only remembered in his loaded up Diet Coke. Not a time to be jealous.

Grizzled
03-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Given the remarkable success enjoyed by NDSU on the Division I level, UND athletics has become irrelevant. Until UND gets into a conference, they will continue to be irrelevant. I say that not out of malice or any disrespect toward UND. I say that because it is the truth and a byproduct of NDSU's success. The more time that lapses before they get into a conference, the greater the gap grows between NDSU and UND.

Actually I think that the longer NDSU goes before they make the playoffs in football and UND gets closer to their probabationary period than in my opinion the gap will shrink.

I think as far as the story goes it depends who you ask. In this part of the country hockey is just as popular as basketball. The difference with UND is they have qualified for the national tournament so many years it is now expected. Its bigger news if they don't make it. I think the Bison are going to get there in basketball. Saul is going to always have the 3 or 4 players to really be competitive in the Summit. When they get there again is it as big of deal as the first time? Now, UND qualifying for the tournament or winning a national championship isn't as big of a deal as their first one because its been done before by them and been done very recently. I imagine that was a pretty big deal back when it happened. I guess what I am trying to say is it all depends who you ask. Arguing about it is silly because there are people who have their favorite sports and each sport has a story to go along with it.

Shawn-O
03-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Is this guy serious? For him to compare college hockey to March Madness is ludicrous (and I don't mean the rapper). For Mr. Foss to say that until NDSU or UND wins a game in the big dance that this story ranks down the list to other North Dakota sporting events is laughable. Unless something seriously changes with the mindset at UND, they are unlikely to find themselves in a conference anytime in the near future. For him to even lump UND in with NDSU with regards to winning a game in the tournament is silly. UND has zero shot at making this tournament in the next ten years. Not because they couldn't compete at the same level, but because they have no conference in which to compete.

I think this would be a great column for Mike McFeely, that is, how NDSU's decision to move to DI as compared to UND's delay in making the move, has seriously cost the University of North Dakota. That is another story that emerges from NDSU's birth in the Big Dance. NDSU got to the moon first when nobody thought they'd even get into orbit for ten years. UND is nowhere even close to getting to that moon - and by the time they do - it will be a back page story as NDSU will have already "been there, done that."

While Mr. Foss is surely entitled to his opinion, and with all due respect to the accomplishments of the UND hockey team, the ignorance embodied in that opinion is symbolic of those who will forever feel that UND is somehow better than NDSU - regardless of the fact it is 2009 (not 1979). NDSU is pushing UND all over the playground. The longer they live under such a veil, the greater the gap grows between North Dakota's two premier universities. The enrollment numbers, growing national exposure of NDSU, etc. etc., is not a coincidence of NDSU's decision to move, and its successes at, the DI level. They are a byproduct. Until UND grasps this gap, they will only continue to grow in irrelevance.

There is no correlation between the Foss column and the "UND mindset" let's get that straight. As for your predictions, I guess time will tell but the goals are much higher than that (ten years) I can assure you.

But be careful, heaven forbid if UND would advance in the first round of the tourney at some point in the future, and the Bison do not? To suggest UND is "irrelevant" relative to NDSU is delusional.

We'll all continue to debate this for many years I think. I watched an HBO documetary today, "Battle for Tobacco Road". That could be about our two schools one day, on a broader scale.

Your words give me more resolve to make UND Athletics more successful in the future in any way I can, so thanks.

borderbison
03-14-2009, 11:46 PM
The Bison got more national exposure on Wednesday for their birth in the Dance than any hockey national championship ever has or will ever get. Foss is a dick when it comes to NDSU and he always has been. He wrote the article to get under our skin and to increase his email inbox. Hey, UND has a good hockey team, good for them, however, to infer that the Frozen Four is on the same chart as the Final Four is ludicrous. He says the argument of fewer teams is a weak one. In reality, there are about 15 teams in the nation that even compete for the big prize.

Foss shoud ask a Wisconsin Badger fan if they would rather go 21-8 and make the Sweet 16 or win the championship in hockey or would they rather go 11-0, win the Big Ten, play in the Rose Bowl or play Colorado College in the Frozen Four. I bet I know the answer.

UND simply has one sport right now and Foss is biased which you can't blame him. However, if hockey is so great, why are you worried about Bison basketball?

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 11:49 PM

It could have been ok but at the end, the intent is to pimp UND hockey and give a cheap shot to NDSU. How could he point out UND's success in hockey without pointing out NDSU? Why is it that he didn't point out that since 1960, NDSU football has more National Championships in football than any any team in the NFL, D1, D1AA, or D2. It's a dynasty but this putz can't even give props. You think THAT isn't bigger than a hockey trophy I've never heard of?

Who cares. Nobody reads the Grand Forks Herald anyway. Funny that ESPN felt it was lead story. He didn't. More people read ESPN and they are relevant.

I leave you with this thought... why is it that on ESPN.COM, College Hockey does not have it's own heading? (ya know like NFL/NBA/NHL/College Baskeball) UND is a Hockey Dynasty. Great but give props when needed.

DIGRAPPLER
03-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't care if you hate NDSU and love UND or the opposite. I don't care if you graduated from Concordia, Moorhead State, Mayville State, Valley City, Mary, Dickinson, or the Junior College in Bismark. I graduated from Luther College in Iowa and moved to Barnesville in 1982. I have supported all the local colleges sports teams, but have followed the Bison closest. I have gone to a few hockey games in GF. I have gone to a lot of Bison football, basketball and even volleyball. I have even gone to a Moorhead football game! What is my point? NDSU making the NCAA tournament is a BIG DEAL. If you are from the state of North Dakota, the Red River Valley, northwest MN you should get into this. Monday morning every daily paper in the United States will have a full page bracket and NORTH DAKOTA State will be on the bracket. 64 teams out of what 300 some and one is from NORTH DAKOTA! From now until NDSUs run ends, let's be proud to be from this area and cheer on a bunch of young men who represent us. Our hard work ethic, our toughness, our never say die attitude, our spirit.

HerdBot
03-15-2009, 12:07 AM
You said it best!! Well put my man!

"Foss shoud ask a Wisconsin Badger fan if they would rather go 21-8 and make the Sweet 16 or win the championship in hockey or would they rather go 11-0, win the Big Ten, play in the Rose Bowl or play Colorado College in the Frozen Four. I bet I know the answer."

HerdBot
03-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Thats a well thought out reason. LOL:D
Still cant see what was so offensive about it.

Even the title is mean spirited.

Commentary: Bison basketball’s berth worthy of praise — that’s it

It should have read.

Commentary: Am I jealous of NDSU basketball? - Yes.

Grizzled
03-15-2009, 12:14 AM

"Foss shoud ask a Wisconsin Badger fan if they would rather go 21-8 and make the Sweet 16 or win the championship in hockey or would they rather go 11-0, win the Big Ten, play in the Rose Bowl or play Colorado College in the Frozen Four. I bet I know the answer."

I'm sure they would rather win the Big 10 and play in the Rose Bowl than any of the above.

Shawn-O
03-15-2009, 12:16 AM

You have a remote shot at one of those three. Enjoy it.

56BISON73
03-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Even the title is mean spirited.

Commentary: Bison basketball’s berth worthy of praise — that’s it

It should have read.

Commentary: Am I jealous of NDSU basketball? - Yes.

I guess you forgot---""
"""It is an outstanding accomplishment. Kudos to the Bison, let me be clear on that."""

Plus put your quote back in to context that is was used.

borderbison
03-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm sure they would rather win the Big 10 and play in the Rose Bowl than any of the above.

I would agree - the point wasn't to weigh college football against college hoops - the point was the relevance of both compared to any other college sport.

tony
03-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Didn't Foss write a very similar article after NDSU beat Wisconsin?

Virg just flat out missed the point.

Where's the story of human triumph in the face of adversity in a story about a university with a $100 million rink and access to the best recruits in the nation doing well in a national tourney compared to four guys with no DI offers coming to NDSU and overcoming one obstacle after another just to get their one and only shot at the biggest college tourney in the world - and then succeeding?

There are so many twists in NDSU's story. There was the opposition to the DI move. There were lots of people saying that NDSU would never do anything in BB. There was that one university president saying that DI would lead to scandal and harm academics (what a putz!) There was that 13-year wait that got reduced to five years. There was the lack of a conference. Then they got a conference but lost their coach. Then when they wrapped up a conference championship, the league office came up with some bizarre rule interpretation that put NDSU into a must-win situation at Oral Roberts (who had a 36-game home court conference winning streak) to get the #1 seed in the tourney - and they did it. Then there was that 14-point deficit that NDSU had to overcome - and they did that.

Five years of work came down to one season, then three games, then two, then one, then 12 seconds, then 3.6, and then to about a half an inch. That's a lot of drama.

Sure, 65 teams make the tourney every year - and one of those teams has to come from the Summit. That misses the point. NDSU climbed a mountain to get where they are. No team has done what NDSU has since DI, DII, and DIII were created in 1973. And they did it DAMN WELL.

NDSU1980
03-15-2009, 01:55 AM
But be careful, heaven forbid if UND would advance in the first round of the tourney at some point in the future, and the Bison do not? To suggest UND is "irrelevant" relative to NDSU is delusional.

Now there's a laugh. The way Butch Jones is running the mens BB, you'll be lucky to win a game in the NSIC in the next 10 years.

Next thing to remember is how are you going to get in the tourny even if you had a good team. No conference, remember? And "Offensive Mascot=No Conference". I figure between the Englesteds and DaveK, the mascot issue will hang in there for a good many years.

56BISON73
03-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Now there's a laugh. The way Butch Jones is running the mens BB, you'll be lucky to win a game in the NSIC in the next 10 years.

Next thing to remember is how are you going to get in the tourny even if you had a good team. No conference, remember? And "Offensive Mascot=No Conference". I figure between the Englesteds and DaveK, the mascot issue will hang in there for a good many years.

Actually their transition period will be over about the time that the NCAA nickname probationary period ends so that should all resolve around the same time.

02Bison
03-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Didn't Foss write a very similar article after NDSU beat Wisconsin?

Virg just flat out missed the point.

Where's the story of human triumph...

Spot on Tony! Well said!

cvbison1
03-15-2009, 02:47 AM
who did the siouxage just play in that hockey game? michigan technical community college?

KilldeerBison
03-15-2009, 03:42 AM
And...it still amazes me how stupid Big Ed could be at times.

Didn't he call G. Taylor and J. Chapman empty suits?

unbison
03-15-2009, 04:22 AM
I think someone else already said this but...... Grand Forks is 19 square miles surrounded by reality.... and mr virg writes an article for a paper in that town.... that is owned by the fargo fooolum

Grizzled
03-15-2009, 05:36 AM
The Bison got more national exposure on Wednesday for their birth in the Dance than any hockey national championship ever has or will ever get. Foss is a dick when it comes to NDSU and he always has been. He wrote the article to get under our skin and to increase his email inbox. Hey, UND has a good hockey team, good for them, however, to infer that the Frozen Four is on the same chart as the Final Four is ludicrous. He says the argument of fewer teams is a weak one. In reality, there are about 15 teams in the nation that even compete for the big prize.

UND simply has one sport right now and Foss is biased which you can't blame him. However, if hockey is so great, why are you worried about Bison basketball?

I don't think he is comparing the frozen four to the final four, he is comparing the frozen four to the field of 65 and winning the summit league tournament., NDSU isn't in the final four, they haven't even won a game yet.

This is my point. Bison fans are doing the same thing as Sioux fans and defending their teams. I basketball is so great why are you so worried about hockey? Why sit and argue a never ending battle and put it down. Its an arguement you will never win and just cause you don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Both teams are have accomplished great things.

Actually if you ask me beating Minnesota in football is a greater accomplishment but thats my opinion only because I expect the Bison to compete for a trip to the dance yearly. I'm a football guy though and beating a Big Ten team is a big deal, ask Appalachin St. what they are known for. That is my thoughts and you are welcome to disagree..

Bison_Pride
03-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't blame UND. Blame that hack Virg Foss and the Jealous sports department at the Grand Forks Herald because they can't write any articles about all the national radio show interviews that their coaches are doing, like Saul Philips has been all week (see the Sunday Forum - Bison Media Whirlwind). Note to Virg Foss: the contract value for CBS to air the basketball tournament was around the $6 Billion dollar mark, compare that to hockey.

But seriously we should let this topic die (like Foss's career) and focus on our guys.

devin45k
03-15-2009, 09:21 AM
He's just a bias reporter that is clinging to a team that only has hockey and won't even have a mascot in the near future. Oh yeah, they don't even have any freakin' money too.

bisonmike2
03-15-2009, 01:23 PM

I think you nailed it.

WePharm
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
h8hcky

only sport goons get MVP awards

walknroehl
03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
You have a remote shot at one of those three. Enjoy it.

And you have great shot at irrelevance. Enjoy it.

onbison09
03-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Can we please quit putting down hockey? They have a great program, we have a great program. Why can't we just leave each other alone? Most UND fans have been pretty classy this week, just not the media.

badger04
03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree. Since I moved here, I go to 2 to 3 Badger Hockey games a year. It is a great sports. As it been stated before, just drop this subject and move on.

cvbison1
03-16-2009, 04:14 AM
anyone think Virg caught the selection show?