PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting small schools

heckler
03-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Not that anyone cares ;)

Alright, so what if I am a little biased of my old high school. Even though we are only a Single "A" school, Barnum is currently ranked #1 in the state (Minnesota), 30-0, and just blew out a conference foe 104-28 in the playoffs. The bad: No seniors; however, there are acouple juniors, but mostly sophmores and freshmen. Maybe one walk on?

http://www.pinejournal.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16159&section=Sports

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/114948/group/home/

Katrina Newman had 17 points and 15 rebounds as Barnum overpowered Bertha-Hewitt 63-24 to win the Section 5A girls basketball championship on Friday at St. Cloud State University.

The top-ranked Bombers (30-0) have now tied a school record for wins in a season and advanced to their eighth state tournament, including second straight after finishing runner-up last year.

Katie Myhre had five of Barnum’s nine 3-pointers to finish with 15 points, while Jaimee Wickstrom added 12 points.

Barnum advances to play Section 3 champion Adrian, a 68-59 winner Friday over Canby, at 5 p.m. Thursday at Williams Arena in Minneapolis.

Hammerhead
03-13-2009, 07:48 PM
There is plenty of talent in the smaller schools. One of the few Women's bball players I can remember watching is NDSU hall of famer Nadine Schmidt who played for Braddock high school.

My cousins lived across the street from the school in Braddock and you can't get much smaller than that school is/was.

bisongirl
03-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Another former Bison star, Janice Woods came from small town Fosston, MN...

BlueKeyAlum
03-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Ashley Samuelson played at Underwood which has 139 in grades 9-12..

Elephants Dream?
03-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Jackie Parsley Kindred
Darci Steere Storden
Lynette Mund Milnor
Amanda Giordat Kindred
Rhonda Birch Deer Creek
Both Morlock girls, Slone Benson, etc.

SDHoopsfromSDSUFan
03-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Abby Plucker - Parker, S.D.
It is a small school in a small town. (They have over a hundred kids though)

westnodak93bison
03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Pat Smykowski- Lidgerwood

BlueKeyAlum
03-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Pat Smykowski- Lidgerwood

Kristi Kremer - Wheaton.

Elephants Dream?
03-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I met Kristi only once, at Augustana, years after she played.
She had eyes that could look right thru you.

heckler
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
How do coaches decide what small town recruits they want to scout? Or do state championships help a lot?

BlueKeyAlum
03-14-2009, 08:10 PM
I think it's less high school and more AAU. The kids that can get into AAu teams and into the big tourneys during Spring and Summer are the ones that get noticed. Competition tends to be better on the AAU circuit and coaches can check out many teams at one time.

BisBison
03-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Maybe not a small school but we should get Allie Collins from Mandan. She carried this team this year. She wants to play at the D-I level and hasn't committed yet. Very heady player and quick.

summitfever
03-15-2009, 02:37 AM
bluekey has it right. More often than not players are being first seen by college coaches through AAU. The high school season is still important because colleges get out during the winter to see the kids they liked in the spring and summer. But the role of the high school season has diminished to a degree. Being seen at a state tournament could help but if a player is pretty good the coaches already know about them.

gotts
03-15-2009, 03:16 AM
bluekey has it right. More often than not players are being first seen by college coaches through AAU. The high school season is still important because colleges get out during the winter to see the kids they liked in the spring and summer. But the role of the high school season has diminished to a degree. Being seen at a state tournament could help but if a player is pretty good the coaches already know about them.

Right on.

I attended the Girls National AAU Basketball Championships in Orlando, Florida, this summer and have never seen so many coaches in one place.

Waiting for one of my sister's games to start, I found myself standing alongside Gophers head coach Pam Borton, as well as assistants from UConn and Rutgers; that was one of the "lesser scouted" games.

It's just flat out easier for programs to see more kids in a shorter time period in the summer without having to worry about their own seasons.

BlueKeyAlum
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
There is one large high school tourney where coaches can see many top teams in the nation, It's Nike Tourney of Champions in Phoenix during the month of December. It's a good opportunity to see about 90 high school teams. Not all high school teams can afford to attend this event and some state high school federations prevent national tournament participation but this past year there were probably 14-15 of the top high school teams represented plus a smattering of othe teams.

But, the elite kids are going to be in the AAu circuit and they seem to be able to afford travel everywhere.

green n gold
04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Not that anyone cares ;)

Alright, so what if I am a little biased of my old high school. Even though we are only a Single "A" school, Barnum is currently ranked #1 in the state (Minnesota), 30-0, and just blew out a conference foe 104-28 in the playoffs. The bad: No seniors; however, there are acouple juniors, but mostly sophmores and freshmen. Maybe one walk on?

http://www.pinejournal.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16159&section=Sports

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/114948/group/home/

What happened to them at the state tourny?

SDHoopsfromSDSUFan
04-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Maybe not a small school but we should get Allie Collins from Mandan. She carried this team this year. She wants to play at the D-I level and hasn't committed yet. Very heady player and quick.

This is interesting! NDSU has one scholarship left and Ali has said she will wait until the late signing period. Hmmm...If I do my math right, 1+2=3 right? :)

Oops I meant, I sure hope she signs with NDSU. It would be a good get.

Trampled
04-10-2009, 02:05 AM
The real problelm is that the small schools are not hooked up with AAU yet...believe it or not!! There are so many great players in these small schools that have work ethic extrordinaire that don't get in the right spot to show their wares. Unfortunately most of the kids in Nd still are not connected with AAU. Dufault plays D-1 because of AAu. Quale at Missoula...Ray,Nd...made it because of AAu. Would you like these 2 ND boys on the NDSU team?? Not if you listen to Lakes or Burgundy!! They know it all. The biggest mouths seem to know it all. In the mean time Travis Hafner, Jim Kleinsasser, and Darrin Erstad all grew up within 40 miles of each other in central ND. Small schools...don't deserve the time of day with Lakes or Burgundy and many others. Until this great receiver that transferred from the east coast shows me something in practice and on the field, no matter how much he played catch with your kid... I'll back the local kids. The odds are better!! Why did he transfer? He can earn it in practice and then in the games...just like everyone else!

BlueBisonRock
04-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Travis Hafner, Jim Kleinsasser, and Darrin Erstad all grew up within 40 miles of each other in central ND. Small schools...

And Rick Helling grew up just up the Road in Lakota. Its 150 miles from Jamestown to Lakota taking a detour through Sykeston. Carrington is right on 281. Neighbors!

Town 2000 population:

Sykeston 153
Carrington 2268
Jamestown 15527
Lakota 781

sambini
04-10-2009, 02:38 AM
The real problelm is that the small schools are not hooked up with AAU yet...believe it or not!! There are so many great players in these small schools that have work ethic extrordinaire that don't get in the right spot to show their wares. Unfortunately most of the kids in Nd still are not connected with AAU. Dufault plays D-1 because of AAu. Quale at Missoula...Ray,Nd...made it because of AAu. Would you like these 2 ND boys on the NDSU team?? Not if you listen to Lakes or Burgundy!! They know it all. The biggest mouths seem to know it all. In the mean time Travis Hafner, Jim Kleinsasser, and Darrin Erstad all grew up within 40 miles of each other in central ND. Small schools...don't deserve the time of day with Lakes or Burgundy and many others. Until this great receiver that transferred from the east coast shows me something in practice and on the field, no matter how much he played catch with your kid... I'll back the local kids. The odds are better!! Why did he transfer? He can earn it in practice and then in the games...just like everyone else! +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mr. Burgundy
04-13-2009, 01:50 AM
The real problelm is that the small schools are not hooked up with AAU yet...believe it or not!! There are so many great players in these small schools that have work ethic extrordinaire that don't get in the right spot to show their wares. Unfortunately most of the kids in Nd still are not connected with AAU. Dufault plays D-1 because of AAu. Quale at Missoula...Ray,Nd...made it because of AAu. Would you like these 2 ND boys on the NDSU team?? Not if you listen to Lakes or Burgundy!! They know it all. The biggest mouths seem to know it all. In the mean time Travis Hafner, Jim Kleinsasser, and Darrin Erstad all grew up within 40 miles of each other in central ND. Small schools...don't deserve the time of day with Lakes or Burgundy and many others. Until this great receiver that transferred from the east coast shows me something in practice and on the field, no matter how much he played catch with your kid... I'll back the local kids. The odds are better!! Why did he transfer? He can earn it in practice and then in the games...just like everyone else!

Wow, I am not sure how I am even involved in this conversation.....but, I would love it if you would provide me one single post that says I am not in favor of a local athlete. In fact, I have been the biggest fan of Rothsay's Jordan Aaberg. Huge fan of the Hillsboro FB that we signed...I think I cried when we lost the older Qvale brother to Montana...etc. I have felt that we need to get the best kids in our state regardless of the size of their town.

I agree with 100% of your post other than the fact that small town kids don't deserve the time of day.

I will accept your apology. I love the kid that comes from the small town and proves people wrong. I love that AAU ball provides these kids this opportunity. I agree that Lakes has stated several times to go to the big cities...etc. I love the kid that is local that will run through a brick wall to be a Bison. Again, I accept your apology, because you got the wrong guy.