PDA

View Full Version : Won't Hurt Football Recruiting

CaBisonFan
03-11-2009, 10:11 AM
The trip to the Big Dance won't hurt football recruiting.

Name recognition is what this is about...and a winning reputation.

Who would have thought that basketball would be first to break through on the men's side of athletics.

Recruits will go, "yeah...North Dakota State...I saw the basketball team in the NCAA."

Not a bad concept.

HandoEX
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Who would have thought that basketball would be first to break through on the men's side of athletics.

Recruits will go, "yeah...North Dakota State...I saw the basketball team in the NCAA."

Not a bad concept.

I think you are definately right. The more positive exposure the school gets in sports the more every program will benefit.

sambini
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
It Will Help Everyone++++

TransAmBison
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
CA made a good point. I did not think about that (as I could not sleep last night because of the game). Wow, what a great day to be a Bison.

CaBisonFan
03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
CA made a good point. I did not think about that (as I could not sleep last night because of the game). Wow, what a great day to be a Bison.

I wonder how many other people have had this kind of night. I've tried, but haven't slept more than a few minutes, at best.

TheDoctor
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
The Dance! The GREATEST single moment is Bison sports history! The next GREATEST moment coming next in a week and a half! ;)

HerdBot
03-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Not a bad concept.

It will help. We're still not exactly a household name but for those players on the bubble it may make the decision easier. How many other teams in ND, SD, MN, and Wisconsin are going to the big dance? Last night was the most press we have ever seen!

BadlandsBison
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
And the best part...

UND makes the hockey playoffs, and nobody gives a crap anymore! Gwahaha
Dont ask me how i know how the sioux are doing...

Tatanka
03-11-2009, 03:20 PM
And the best part...

UND makes the hockey playoffs, and nobody gives a crap anymore! Gwahaha
Dont ask me how i know how the sioux are doing...

Why even mention them today? That's no better than their pollution of the Forum blogs last night...

HerdBot
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Why even mention them today? That's no better than their pollution of the Forum blogs last night...

Over on their board they are acting very classy.

aces1180
03-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Their board is being classy, that is right...It's the people who visited the in-forum blogs last night who were huge dicks.

HerdBot
03-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Not a bad concept.

Southern Illinois is much more well known for baskeball. I think it carried over to football.

Tatanka
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
No disagreement

Their board is being classy, that is right...It's the people who visited the in-forum blogs last night who were huge dicks.

Also no disagreement.

bisonmike2
03-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Boy the dance sure takes the sting out of a disappointing football season.

mebisonII
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

BadlandsBison
03-11-2009, 06:00 PM

Ha, got that right. This gave a moral boost to the entirety of Bison-Nation

DORMIE
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Back in 1965 when we won our first Football Championship is was a big deal. It gave our alumni something to identify with. They don't identify with success in the English Departmant, but with success in athletics. This will be huge with our alumni and also with the recruting of students and athalets. I agree with Gabe, they have been very classy the fast few days on SS. Whether you like what they do up there, you have to respect their success in hockey. Possibly 5 straight trips to the Frozen Four. Maybee Haxtol will finally get the job done. Wouldn't it be awsome if we played in the Minneapolis Regional. The Cities would be full of Bison Basketball Fans and Sioux Hockey Fans who would be there for the WCHA Tournament. They would see who has the classy fans. That being us.

CaBisonFan
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Back in 1965 when we won our first Football Championship is was a big deal. It gave our alumni something to identify with. They don't identify with success in the English Departmant, but with success in athletics. This will be huge with our alumni and also with the recruting of students and athalets. I agree with Gabe, they have been very classy the fast few days on SS. Whether you like what they do up there, you have to respect their success in hockey. Possibly 5 straight trips to the Frozen Four. Maybee Haxtol will finally get the job done. Wouldn't it be awsome if we played in the Minneapolis Regional. The Cities would be full of Bison Basketball Fans and Sioux Hockey Fans who would be there for the WCHA Tournament. They would see who has the classy fans. That being us.

Good comments everyone.

I checked out SS, and I agree. It's different than the Bison Zone. I would guess that the more legit. fans are on SS.

If this type of behavior can continue with most people...then I would support a return to competition when UND gets through the transition...but not before that. I want a level playing field in terms of their having a full set of recruits. Don't want anyone saying that we were beaten with a 'lesser' roster...meaning less recruits.

sambini
03-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Well said Dormie++++

CaBisonFan
03-12-2009, 03:26 AM

That's a big 'affirmative.' Maybe the football players are talking to themselves a little right now too, like, "we're going to do that too."

Nothing like a little competition for attention. :nod:

DORMIE
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
I think that the football players that were lifting today at 3:00 should have taken a breather and taken in what was going on below on the floor of the BSA, that being the recognition of the Men's BB Team. The noise was rather annoying. Seeing the accomplishment of that team might have been more importmant than 15 min. of lifting. I mentioned it to Coach Bohl. He said, " I don't want to get into the way of my strength coach." I get his point. No one will remember this day in November.

aces1180
03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Interesting....

bisonmike2
03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
That's a big 'affirmative.' Maybe the football players are talking to themselves a little right now too, like, "we're going to do that too."

Nothing like a little competition for attention. :nod:

I hope so. I think both teams can learn alot from each other. It's disappointing to hear Dormie say that the guys couldn't stop lifting to recognize the B-ball team but who knows what was said to them by the strength coach. Maybe it was a little "work harder now and maybe you guys can get that experience next year"?

bisonball
03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I think that the football players that were lifting today at 3:00 should have taken a breather and taken in what was going on below on the floor of the BSA, that being the recognition of the Men's BB Team. The noise was rather annoying. Seeing the accomplishment of that team might have been more importmant than 15 min. of lifting. I mentioned it to Coach Bohl. He said, " I don't want to get into the way of my strength coach." I get his point. No one will remember this day in November.

The football team did not take a breather to watch the ceremony for two reasons. 1)It is testing week for the football team, which is the most important week of winter workouts. 2)They were already set back a half of day because of the snow and had to make up short shuttles and cleans that were missed on Tuesday. I know Coach Kramer put in about a 13-14 hour day yesterday and he did mention to the guys that they could learn something by observing the basketball team and with hard work they could have the opportunity to be in that situation next year.

TransAmBison
03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
The football team did not take a breather to watch the ceremony for two reasons. 1)It is testing week for the football team, which is the most important week of winter workouts. 2)They were already set back a half of day because of the snow and had to make up short shuttles and cleans that were missed on Tuesday. I know Coach Kramer put in about a 13-14 hour day yesterday and he did mention to the guys that they could learn something by observing the basketball team and with hard work they could have the opportunity to be in that situation next year.
Good to hear! Go Bison!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
It has really helped Duke throughout the years

bisonmike2
03-12-2009, 06:49 PM

They probably wouldn't have football if it wasn't for the money their b-ball team brings in.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
They probably wouldn't have football if it wasn't for the money their b-ball team brings in.

Duke was a football power long before their rise in Basketball. For many years they were an ACC also ran in Basketball

walknroehl
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Duke was a football power long before their rise in Basketball. For many years they were an ACC also ran in Basketball

Exactly.

I can't recall a duke team before Coach K arrived.

Bryan
03-12-2009, 11:00 PM
<How many other teams in ND, SD, MN, and Wisconsin are going to the big dance? Last night was the most press we have ever seen!>

Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Marquette for sure

Scooter1
03-12-2009, 11:52 PM

I don't see your point because this is an apples and oranges kind of comparison. This is all about networking and getting your name out there when you are a small school.

Duke plays major BCS football and runs with the big boys in this sport. NDSU plays D1 Basketball but FCS football. Duke is competing with the top BCS schools for football talent, so press in basketball is not going to help them much when going up against Florida St, Miami, Virginia Tech or Clemson for a kid that they want in football. I chose these top name schools because those are the schools that are high profile and in Duke's conference. These are all schools that every football player in high school is aware of. So, it won't be very effective to say "Come play football for us. You know Duke...we have a great BB program." The kids already know that Duke is not a powerhouse football program. It's national ESPN news when Duke actually beats one of the teams that I have listed from their conference when talking football.

Now apply this to NDSU's situation. We are competing for kids with UNI, S Illinois, Central Michigan, Ball St, Wyoming, U of Minn. There will be the occasional larger school that we will go up against, but, I'm trying to keep this analagy realistic. If you think that this exposure on ESPN for NDSU will not help us very much, you are sadly mistaken. Most kids watch ESPN sport center. I'm more receptive of a small company that I have heard of than one that I have never heard of. Put the same type of sales pitch using NDSU that we used for Duke. "Come play football for NDSU. We're a smaller school but have been making waves in major NCAA sports. Our basketball team made the big dance their first year of elligibility. You saw our BB team on ESPN last year...NDSU is fully comitted to D1 athletics" The kid that is getting overlooked by the BCS schools is certainly going to be more receptive of schools that he has heard about on ESPN than an "Obscure Directional State University" that never receives national press.

It's sales 101.... It's all about networking

heckler
03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't see your point because this is an apples and oranges kind of comparison. This is all about networking and getting your name out there when you are a small school.

Duke plays major BCS football and runs with the big boys in this sport. NDSU plays D1 Basketball but FCS football. Duke is competing with the top BCS schools for football talent, so press in basketball is not going to help them much when going up against Florida St, Miami, Virginia Tech or Clemson for a kid that they want in football. I chose these top name schools because those are the schools that are high profile and in their conference. These are all schools that every football player in high school is aware of. So, it won't be very effective to say "Come play football for us. You know Duke...we have a great BB program." The kids already know that Duke is not a powerhouse football program.

Now apply this to NDSU's situation. We are competing for kids with UNI, S Illinois, Central Michigan, Ball St, Wyoming, U of Minn. There will be the occasional larger school that we will go up against, but, I'm trying to keep this analagy realistic. If you think that this exposure on ESPN for NDSU will not help us very much, you are sadly mistaken. Most kids watch ESPN sport center. I know I'm more receptive of a small company that I have heard of before than one that I have never heard of. Put the same type of sales pitch using NDSU that we used for Duke. "Come play football for NDSU. We're a smaller school but have been making waves in major NCAA sports. Our basketball team made the big dance their first year of elligibility. You saw our BB team on ESPN last year...NDSU is fully comitted to D1 athletics" The kid that is getting overlooked by the BCS schools is certainly going to be more receptive of schools that he has heard about on ESPN than one he has never heard of.

It can't hurt and just might be the icing on the cake for someone to come here.

jugular
03-13-2009, 02:27 AM
You know, I think you are right. It will help in the short term but the problem is by the time that most football kids we target are being recruited next season they will have forgotten that NDSU just made it to the Dance. Out of sight, out of mind...especially when it's 6 months later. Let's not confuse what we will remember FOREVER with a kids memory (unless he's from North Dakota or possibly parts of Minnesota). Hell these kids forget about a piece of ass they had 3 weeks ago. Now if we can pull an upset in round 1...WATCH OUT!!! The pub for that would be unbelievable.

Duke plays major BCS football and runs with the big boys in this sport. NDSU plays D1 Basketball but FCS football. Duke is competing with the top BCS schools for football talent, so press in basketball is not going to help them much when going up against Florida St, Miami, Virginia Tech or Clemson for a kid that they want in football. I chose these top name schools because those are the schools that are high profile and in Duke's conference. These are all schools that every football player in high school is aware of. So, it won't be very effective to say "Come play football for us. You know Duke...we have a great BB program." The kids already know that Duke is not a powerhouse football program. It's national ESPN news when Duke actually beats one of the teams that I have listed from their conference when talking football.

Now apply this to NDSU's situation. We are competing for kids with UNI, S Illinois, Central Michigan, Ball St, Wyoming, U of Minn. There will be the occasional larger school that we will go up against, but, I'm trying to keep this analagy realistic. If you think that this exposure on ESPN for NDSU will not help us very much, you are sadly mistaken. Most kids watch ESPN sport center. I'm more receptive of a small company that I have heard of than one that I have never heard of. Put the same type of sales pitch using NDSU that we used for Duke. "Come play football for NDSU. We're a smaller school but have been making waves in major NCAA sports. Our basketball team made the big dance their first year of elligibility. You saw our BB team on ESPN last year...NDSU is fully comitted to D1 athletics" The kid that is getting overlooked by the BCS schools is certainly going to be more receptive of schools that he has heard about on ESPN than an "Obscure Directional State University" that never receives national press.

It's sales 101.... It's all about networking

Scooter1
03-13-2009, 03:36 AM
You know, I think you are right. It will help in the short term but the problem is by the time that most football kids we target are being recruited next season they will have forgotten that NDSU just made it to the Dance. Out of sight, out of mind...especially when it's 6 months later. Let's not confuse what we will remember FOREVER with a kids memory (unless he's from North Dakota or possibly parts of Minnesota). Hell these kids forget about a piece of ass they had 3 weeks ago. Now if we can pull an upset in round 1...WATCH OUT!!! The pub for that would be unbelievable.

I see where you were going with the difference with what is important to us and what is important to a kid. I also recognise that you excluded about 50% of prime NDSU recruiting area by excepting ND and MN kids. That just happens to be the meat and potatoes of the Bison team. I have a different view than you do.

These kids are smarter than you think and today's kids tend to be sound byte driven. Sound bytes from ESPN hit home. If what you infer is true about "out of sight out of mind" then what difference would it make if we win round one or not? Football is 6 months away. Why schedule games like Wisconsin or Marquette in Basketsball if the publicity of a win wouldn't help the recruiting network. There would be no payoff. Why schedule a U of Minnesota in football? I would say the exposure that we got on ESPN was worth every bit as much as the paycheck that the U of M wrote out.

Wisconsin, Marquette, U of M, and now NCAA tournament...every time ESPN runs a story on the Bison, it increases name recognition. This is something you have to have when you are a small college like NDSU. Kids don't make college choice decisions on their own. They get input from parents and coaches and even friends and relatives. When they talk to people about getting an offer from NDSU they could get one of two responses... "Never heard of them" or "Hey, I remember that school, they were on espn as one to watch out for." I know which response I want the kid to get. Like I said before... I think this is a big deal because it's about networking for recruiting.

56BISON73
03-13-2009, 03:39 AM
I dont think making the dance in BB is going to be deal maker for a FB recruit.

Kermit
03-13-2009, 04:00 AM

C'mon, hasn't Indiana State dominated the Gateway/MVFC ever since Larry Bird? Oh, wait..

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-13-2009, 04:29 AM

In agreement with you here PL. ++++++++++++++++++

lakesbison
03-13-2009, 05:47 AM
bvull shit!!! IT MEANS ALOT!

IT VALIDATES NDSU AS A BIG TIME D 1 SCHOOL

CaBisonFan
03-13-2009, 08:18 AM
I called the head basketball coach at my school here in Hemet today (a friend), and asked him if he'd watched the game. He had, but said he'd never heard of NDSU until he saw the game. He was 'very' impressed.

The Duke example is noteworthy, and yes, there are schools that tend to be one or the other...basketball or football. Indiana has been a lot like Duke. I know this isn't news to you guys. Just agreeing.

But I could list a lot of schools that are strong in both. Start with Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin (usually), Iowa (usually), Missouri, Kansas, BYU, Michigan (usually), etc.

Here we have USC & UCLA...with obvious strengths.

You guys are making some really good points. It's a good conversation. Interesting.

Scooter1
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
56BISON73...."I dont think making the dance in BB is going to be deal maker for a FB recruit."

Calbisonfan, "The Duke example is noteworthy"

Kermit "C'mon, hasn't Indiana State dominated the Gateway/MVFC ever since Larry Bird? Oh, wait.."

Lakesbison bvull shit!!! IT MEANS ALOT!
"IT VALIDATES NDSU AS A BIG TIME D 1 SCHOOL

Guys, the point isn't that we think it is going to be a deal maker.

To save posting I'll reply to four at the same time....

The point I was trying to make is that it is easier to make a sale if a door is open as opposed to closed.

56Bison73, maybe we are making more of this than we should. And I agree with you that it won't be a deal maker. But it can be an opportunity maker. With this program and our facilities, what we need are opportunities.

CalBisonfan I disagree, I think it's apples and oranges type of argument. It would have more merit if Duke was an FCS school because then the kids that the two schools (Duke/NDSU) were trying to recruit were the same caliber of kids. They are not. Maybe that is Duke's problem. The kids that they are getting are the same caliber as NDSU's. That would really suck if you were playing Florida St Clemson and Miami every year. Another reason I disagree is that NDSU and Duke are in different boats when talking about football recruiting. We have a strong program to sell...Duke has gone 8-50 over the last five years. It's a good thing that they went 4-8 last year or this record may have been embarrassing. I can see a kid being receptive to Duke due to name recognition. When they actually see the football program is where Duke takes it in the shorts. They take it in the shorts because Duke is not even close to Clemson, Florida St Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami when it comes to football. One could say that Duke is the Morningside of football in the their conference. We are not the Morningside of our conference. You first have to have a product to sell that is comparable to what you are trying to compete with. The Duke name opens doors, the Duke football program gets the door slammed shut. If Duke was an FCS school, the example would have more merit for me.

Kermit, Indiana St is an example of a team where this didn't help. This example holds more merit than Duke because we are both going after FCS talent. There is something that has changed since Indiana St, it's called the internet. This Indiana St run happened before the kids we are trying to recruit (or the internet as it is today) were born. This is an information sound byte age. The more sound bytes we get, the more doors will open. We need opportunities not deal closing. We have deal closing with our program and facilities. There is also a difference between NDSU and Indiana St.....we already have a strong football program. The kids may have been more aware of Indiana St after their incredible run. Doors may have been open to them due to this recognition. The problem with this example is... After the door was open, Indiana St was still left with trying to sell a "Sow's Ear" type of football program. We are not. Again, what we need are opportunities. Good products sell themselves. Unfortunately, no salesman has ever sold to a person who doesn't know they exist. You can have the best product in the world, without networking, you are going to fail.

Lakesbison, Thanks for your support, and I'm glad that you chimed in because I'd like to use you as an example. You like to have fun on other web boards trashing teams for fun. Hey, if that is your bag, good for you. But unfortunately, on national boards this practice can be viewed as negative networking for the rest of the Bison fans who go on the boards that you frequently harrass. Positive networking. That's what we should be about. The old saying is true..."A positive experience will get told to one person, a negative experience will get told to ten."

Oh My God...this is post 500

jugular
03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
These kids are smarter than you think and today's kids tend to be sound byte driven. Sound bytes from ESPN hit home. If what you infer is true about "out of sight out of mind" then what difference would it make if we win round one or not?

I think you are overestimating kids these days...they watch less sports on TV than they did 10-15 years ago. Kids are playing Xbox or Wii, listening to their ipod, hanging out with their girlfriends, skipping through commercials and bit pieces on teams with their DVR, etc.

Now, with name recognition it definitely will not hurt...but just getting their won't be that big of a difference. Let's face it, this isn't the first time a school like us has made the Dance. And by "like us", I mean our size (not that this is our 1st eligible season). That's why I say if we win a game, then we separate ourselves from all the other schools our size that have made the tournament.

Again, we can't confuse what will be in OUR memories with what will stick in a kids memory that is thinking about school, girls, parties, etc.

Here's a question...how much face time does Bohl & company get with recruits at this time of year? Obviously you want to take advantage of that media exposure NOW and not 3+ months from now during summer camps, visits, etc. That's why I say out of sight, out of mind. Is Bohl/staff out visiting high schools throughout the country right now? Do we have a Junior Day during Spring Ball? I don't know that answer.

TransAmBison
03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
It will not be a deal maker, but it doesn't hurt. It could be played on tv's somewhere, be it on NDSU campus or Scheels or anywhere. It shows that we can make it. Nobody really gave the men's basketball a chance when we began the move. It shows NDSU's drive for excellence. Deal maker no, but it does boost our hand.

jugular
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
But I could list a lot of schools that are strong in both. Start with Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin (usually), Iowa (usually), Missouri, Kansas, BYU, Michigan (usually), etc.

Here we have USC & UCLA...with obvious strengths.

You guys are making some really good points. It's a good conversation. Interesting.

Looking at your list of teams just reinforces the fact that it's difficult to sustain success in both sports. I would say Texas is probably the best example of success in both along with OU, Ohio St and Florida. Michigan surprisingly hasn't been to an NCAA Tournament since 1998--damn I miss the days of the Fab 5. I wouldn't consider Iowa successful in hoops--they have been decent but nothing great in the last 15 years. UCLA hasn't been good in football as of late, USC is a violation or two from Tim Floyd away from probation and KU has really only had 2 good years of football the last 15 years.

Great discussion by the way!

Scooter1
03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I think you are overestimating kids these days...they watch less sports on TV than they did 10-15 years ago. Kids are playing Xbox or Wii, listening to their ipod, hanging out with their girlfriends, skipping through commercials and bit pieces on teams with their DVR, etc.

Now, with name recognition it definitely will not hurt...but just getting their won't be that big of a difference. Let's face it, this isn't the first time a school like us has made the Dance. And by "like us", I mean our size (not that this is our 1st eligible season). That's why I say if we win a game, then we separate ourselves from all the other schools our size that have made the tournament.

Again, we can't confuse what will be in OUR memories with what will stick in a kids memory that is thinking about school, girls, parties, etc.

Here's a question...how much face time does Bohl & company get with recruits at this time of year? Obviously you want to take advantage of that media exposure NOW and not 3+ months from now during summer camps, visits, etc. That's why I say out of sight, out of mind. Is Bohl/staff out visiting high schools throughout the country right now? Do we have a Junior Day during Spring Ball? I don't know that answer.

And you under-estimate them. They are no different than we were when we were 18. (Cars, Girls, Partying) We aren't just targeting them, we are targeting the people around them that may help with their college choice. We are targeting people like mom and dad who have the last say as to where their kid takes a campus visit. We are targeting Johnny's High School football coach, We are targeting his relatives, that teacher that was a mentor to him in High School.

Sure they aren't going to have the same memories that we have, but that isn't what we are talking about here. It's about networking and opportunities. Getting our name out there can get a few doors that may have been closed to us opened. I have never met a salesperson that thought it was a bad thing to have good press whenever they could get it. When you ask them if it helped with selling their product...they will say loud and clear..."HELL YES IT HELPS!" We are talking about name recognition and product placement. Like it or not, NDSU is a product that the coaches are trying to sell. Getting the name out often and to as many people as posible is critical. Why do you think that you see displays featuring a product off by itself in a grocery store? The sales people know that by separating their product from the others and putting it where it gets maximum exposure sells product. This is no different.

How many would like to make a wager as to wether or not the Bison football program will get mentioned. They are going to have a lot of time to fill and the quick rise of NDSU in their D1 quest will be a big story. NDSU's football success is part of that. A good reporter will reference this success. I can guarantee you that if they interveiw our AD (and they will) he is going to talk about the entire NDSU program. Remember when we beat the U of M, one of the ESPN clips made an off color remark that we should just try to get into the big ten and the response was that the big ten didn't want us because we beat Wisconsin in BB. Even during the football game, the announcers brought up NDSU's basketball D1 success. This should be no different.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
And you under-estimate them. They are no different than we were when we were 18. (Cars, Girls, Partying) We aren't just targeting them, we are targeting the people around them that may help with their college choice. We are targeting people like mom and dad who have the last say as to where their kid takes a campus visit. We are targeting Johnny's High School football coach, We are targeting his relatives, that teacher that was a mentor to him in High School.

Sure they aren't going to have the same memories that we have, but that isn't what we are talking about here. It's about networking and opportunities. Getting our name out there can get a few doors that may have been closed to us opened. I have never met a salesperson that thought it was a bad thing to have good press whenever they could get it. When you ask them if it helped with selling their product...they will say loud and clear..."HELL YES IT HELPS!" We are talking about name recognition and product placement. Like it or not, NDSU is a product that the coaches are trying to sell. Getting the name out often and to as many people as posible is critical. Why do you think that you see displays featuring a product off by itself in a grocery store? The sales people know that by separating their product from the others and putting it where it gets maximum exposure sells product. This is no different.

How many would like to make a wager as to wether or not the Bison football program will get mentioned. They are going to have a lot of time to fill and the quick rise of NDSU in their D1 quest will be a big story. NDSU's football success is part of that. A good reporter will reference this success. I can guarantee you that if they interveiw our AD (and they will) he is going to talk about the entire NDSU program. Remember when we beat the U of M, one of the ESPN clips made an off color remark that we should just try to get into the big ten and the response was that the big ten didn't want us because we beat Wisconsin in BB. Even during the football game, the announcers brought up NDSU's basketball D1 success. This should be no different.

What is important for a high school recruit (my list)

1. Tradition of the program
2. Who is your position coach
3. How do my skills fit in with the offense and defense ran by the school
4. How many upper classmen (and who are they ahead of me at my position)
5. Facilities
6. $
7. Overall feel (how do I fit in)
8. Academic Fit

The success or lack of success of the basketball team, would be involved only on a peripheral basis. The kids we are recruiting now have heard of NDSU football, before this basketball season.

Please do not assume, that I undervalue the success of the B-Ball team. I think it is the single greatest thing to ever happen in NDSU Athletics.

As a recruit/student athlete, there are numerous more important issues, than the fact that we went to the dance in 09

heckler
03-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Box!!!!!!!

Scooter1
03-13-2009, 04:22 PM
What is important for a high school recruit (my list)

1. Tradition of the program
2. Who is your position coach
3. How do my skills fit in with the offense and defense ran by the school
4. How many upper classmen (and who are they ahead of me at my position)
5. Facilities
6. $
7. Overall feel (how do I fit in)
8. Academic Fit

The success or lack of success of the basketball team, would be involved only on a peripheral basis. The kids we are recruiting now have heard of NDSU football, before this basketball season.

Please do not assume, that I undervalue the success of the B-Ball team. I think it is the single greatest thing to ever happen in NDSU Athletics.

As a recruit/student athlete, there are numerous more important issues, than the fact that we went to the dance in 09

Wacker_in_the_Hall, you make some good points. I like your list of factors that you would use to choose a school. I would use the same. The point I was trying to make is this...National exposure and name recognition help open doors and increase the recruiting network. If this exposure increases the network that NDSU has, so much the better. I feel that I does. What we need is to open doors that were previously shut by any means available. ESPN exposure is a means to open those doors. The kid will probably use every one of those factors that you list. I hope he takes your list point by point because the NDSU program and facilities are a hell of a product. The trick is to become one of the schools in the pile that he is considering. Will it be a deciding factor? The answer is yes if this exposure gets NDSU's product a serious look. You can't get a serious look if the letter goes unopened or casually glanced at when the kid hasn't heard of NDSU and has 5 other offers closer to home. Exposure may give NDSU coaches that extra avenue to get the kid to take a closer look. Craig Bohl's job is easier if the kid, his parents or even coach have some base knowlege of the school. That's all I'm trying to get across.

Bison"FANatic"
03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
It all comes down to name recognition and branding of our product "NDSU Athletics". The Dance will help with that and in turn help with football recruiting to a degree.

56BISON73
03-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Wacker_in_the_Hall, you make some good points. I like your list of factors that you would use to choose a school. I would use the same. The point I was trying to make is this...National exposure and name recognition help open doors and increase the recruiting network. If this exposure increases the network that NDSU has, so much the better. I feel that I does. What we need is to open doors that were previously shut by any means available. ESPN exposure is a means to open those doors. The kid will probably use every one of those factors that you list. I hope he takes your list point by point because the NDSU program and facilities are a hell of a product. The trick is to become one of the schools in the pile that he is considering. Will it be a deciding factor? The answer is yes if this exposure gets NDSU's product a serious look. You can't get a serious look if the letter goes unopened or casually glanced at when the kid hasn't heard of NDSU and has 5 other offers closer to home. Exposure may give NDSU coaches that extra avenue to get the kid to take a closer look. Craig Bohl's job is easier if the kid, his parents or even coach have some base knowlege of the school. That's all I'm trying to get across.

Scooter
I understand what you are saying. As a matter of fact Joe Chapman mentioned in his speech to the Alumni that they had enrolled some students because their parents had learned of NDSU because of the win over Wisconsin.
Even though the dance wont be a deal maker it might allow a few more doors to be open from potential recruits.

BadlandsBison
03-13-2009, 06:31 PM
One area of recruiting this really helps in is the Band. Just think, telling the first-chair highschool trumpet player that he could be on the big stage....Playing on ESPN2, and even the big dance! I expect us to snag some real blowers and bangers by next fall. (Blowers being wind instruments, bangers being percussion)

TransAmBison
03-14-2009, 03:11 AM
One area of recruiting this really helps in is the Band. Just think, telling the first-chair highschool trumpet player that he could be on the big stage....Playing on ESPN2, and even the big dance! I expect us to snag some real blowers and bangers by next fall. (Blowers being wind instruments, bangers being percussion)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Stop!!! You're killing me here!!! :rofl: :rofl:

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 04:21 AM

Yeah, kinda like a future trip to the Rose Bowl.

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Looking at your list of teams just reinforces the fact that it's difficult to sustain success in both sports. I would say Texas is probably the best example of success in both along with OU, Ohio St and Florida. Michigan surprisingly hasn't been to an NCAA Tournament since 1998--damn I miss the days of the Fab 5. I wouldn't consider Iowa successful in hoops--they have been decent but nothing great in the last 15 years. UCLA hasn't been good in football as of late, USC is a violation or two from Tim Floyd away from probation and KU has really only had 2 good years of football the last 15 years.

Great discussion by the way!

Yeah...you have a point. Not arguiing...but my point with UCLA & USC was that each definitely has one sport that stands out....which is no news to you I'm sure. USC does OK in buckets, and UCLA does OK in football during cycles. And yes...USC appears to have a real problem with violations. People have really wondered how they've landed such big names for such a 'nothing' program.

I think that Duke & Indiana are two examples of an extreme identity problem...even though Duke has tried to break through in football a few times...but they always seem to end up at square-one. That image of Coach K and the tradition must be like a dark cloud over the football stadium. Weird. And Bobby Knight likely wouldn't have 'really' given a damn about football when he was there, even though I've heard him say that he wanted a strong football program. BS

I don't think that NDSU will have that kind of problem. Football is tradition-rich, and eventually will find its way back to where it should be...but I'm not sure when. It's really iffy right now. Wonder where the next generation of bucket players will come from. Recruiting should be helped by all of this...but it won't be the same. But I guess that's college sports....huh? Like...why couldn't Steve Walker & Joe Mays play here for about 10 years?

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 01:31 PM
<How many other teams in ND, SD, MN, and Wisconsin are going to the big dance? Last night was the most press we have ever seen!>

Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Marquette for sure

The Gophers are not a lock but when you expand that out to Montana and Wyoming, it makes the feat look even more impressive.

The point is, there are only a few teams in the entire upper midwest that will be represented in the Big Dance.

Check this out.

BADGERS ROSTER
17 players
Wisconin - 7
Minnesota - 4
South Dakota - 1
Iowa - 1

76% of their roster come from the area's we recruit. What if we can steal 1 of those great players from the Badgers?

After we beat both Wisconsin and Marquette, it made us a little more visible. But now it's going to take it to another level.

Since we already recruit those area's in football, it's going to carry over into basketball.

GOPHERS ROSTER
13 players
Minnesota - 5
Wisconsin - 1
South Dakota - 1

54% of the Gopher roster comes from the area's we recruit.

Marquette - 2 Wisconsin

The point is, we are competing with these guys for players. They have the advantage being the big school so the airtime we get in Minneapolis is HUGE! We can't compete with their baskeball tradition or facilities, but we can sell the kids on the fact that we have as good of a chance of making the Big Dance as Minnesota. I mean, up until this year (and it's not a lock), the Gophers haven't made the big dance since 1998! And we all know how that ended up with the recruiting scandal and all! We are in an auto bid league. We have a chance. We are division 1 just like them.

The obvious thing to do is to promote the school more in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Although we may think that we're well known, how about Ben Woodside's comments? They were something to the effect of..."When I was a Jr in High School, there was no chance I was going to NDSU. Then I made a campus visit and fell in love with the place." Perception is reality and we need to milk this opportunity to change that.

Many of these kids are playing 2 sports so it will help.

WildBill
03-14-2009, 02:01 PM

It means little. While it is a great accomplishment,it has only been one time.

WildBill
03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
The Gophers are not a lock but when you expand that out to Montana and Wyoming, it makes the feat look even more impressive.

The point is, there are only a few teams in the entire upper midwest that will be represented in the Big Dance.

Check this out.

BADGERS ROSTER
17 players
Wisconin - 7
Minnesota - 4
South Dakota - 1
Iowa - 1

76% of their roster come from the area's we recruit. What if we can steal 1 of those great players from the Badgers?

After we beat both Wisconsin and Marquette, it made us a little more visible. But now it's going to take it to another level.

Since we already recruit those area's in football, it's going to carry over into basketball.

GOPHERS ROSTER
13 players
Minnesota - 5
Wisconsin - 1
South Dakota - 1

54% of the Gopher roster comes from the area's we recruit.

Marquette - 2 Wisconsin

The point is, we are competing with these guys for players. They have the advantage being the big school so the airtime we get in Minneapolis is HUGE! We can't compete with their baskeball tradition or facilities, but we can sell the kids on the fact that we have as good of a chance of making the Big Dance as Minnesota. I mean, up until this year (and it's not a lock), the Gophers haven't made the big dance since 1998! And we all know how that ended up with the recruiting scandal and all! We are in an auto bid league. We have a chance. We are division 1 just like them.

The obvious thing to do is to promote the school more in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Although we may think that we're well known, how about Ben Woodside's comments? They were something to the effect of..."When I was a Jr in High School, there was no chance I was going to NDSU. Then I made a campus visit and fell in love with the place." Perception is reality and we need to milk this opportunity to change that.

Many of these kids are playing 2 sports so it will help.

Name one player that NDSU has taken from the Gophers when both have offered a scholarship. Secondly,the Gophers did make the big dance in 2005. The bottomline is,you're not gonna steal any player that the top program wants. The Big Ten offers tradition, and most importantly,national exposure. How many Bison games have been nationally broadcast? The other thing players look at is can the coach get me to the NBA?

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Want further proof that recruiting Minnesota and Wisconsin is effective?

Look at Minnesota Duluth's football team! 95% are from MN or WI and they just went 15-0 and won the National Championship!

Yes, D2 football isn't what it once was but they were beating teams in the playoffs that UND lost to recently! They are a good team with good athletes.

RECRUITING CLASS
Player Pos Hgt Wgt Hometown (High School)
Chase Aho DL 6-3 265 Hastings, Minn. (Hastings HS)
Pat Alexander TE 6-5 225 Hillsboro, Wis. (Hillsboro HS)
Jordan Bauman LB 6-1 225 Edgar, Wis. (Stratford HS)
Chris Blake DB 5-11 170 Superior, Wis. (Superior HS)
Kenny Chowa DB 5-11 175 Menomonie, Wis. (Menomonie HS)
Mike Downing OL 6-2 285 Duluth, Minn. (East HS)
Brent Jorgenson QB 6-2 180 De Pere, Wis. (De Pere HS)
Matt McCollom LB 6-2 225 Rochester, Minn. (Rochester CC)
Travis Nordhus DB 6-1 170 Rochester, Minn. (Mayo HS)
Kris Olson TE 6-4 205 Foley, Minn. (Foley HS)
Thomas Olson OL 6-6 240 Coon Rapids, Minn. (Totino Grace HS)
Ryan Piel DL 6-2 255 Wausau, Wis. (Wausau West HS)
Joe Reichert WR 6-2 195 Superior, Wis. (Superior HS)
Colby Ring LB 6-0 210 Baxter, Minn. (Brainerd HS)
Wade Sebold DL 6-5 230 Colby, Wis. (Colby HS)
Austin Selvick WR 6-4 190 New Berlin, Wis. (Eisenhower HS)
Chris Vandervest DL 6-1 250 Green Bay, Wis. (Ashwaubenon HS)
Chase Vogler QB 5-11 170 Inver Grove Heights, Minn. (Rosemount HS)
Matt Wicklund DL 6-4 225 Duluth, Minn. (Two Harbors HS)
Jake Wilson WR 6-0 175 Menomonie, Wis. (Menomonie HS)
Nate Zuk LB 6-2 210 Willow River, Minn. (Moose Lake-Willow River HS)

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Name one player that NDSU has taken from the Gophers when both have offered a scholarship. Secondly,the Gophers did make the big dance in 2005. The bottomline is,you're not gonna steal any player that the top program wants. The Big Ten offers tradition, and most importantly,national exposure. How many Bison games have been nationally broadcast? The other thing players look at is can the coach get me to the NBA?

Your missing my point. Before this year, we had a zero % chance of competing with them on recruits. With this new found exposure, we may have a small chance of stealing a recruit every once in a while. A Gopher or Badger bench player could start for us. Do you agree that is progress?

I said that we can't compete with the tradition or facilities. (unless we get the new BB arena of course that will help)

We've got to focus on our advantages. The Gophers made it once since 1998 and they cheated their way back then. We made it in our first year and we play in an easier conference so we have as good of a chance at of making it to the big dance than the Gophers do.

Exposure in the Twin Cities will help a lot!

A1pigskin
03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
This big dance thing is huge and I agree it has to help with our recruiting. I wonder how many are now saying I wished I didn't pass on NDSU. IMO this should increase enrollment, and other athletic programs besides football. Go Bison.

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 02:29 PM
This big dance thing is huge and I agree it has to help with our recruiting. I wonder how many are now saying I wished I didn't pass on NDSU. IMO this should increase enrollment, and other athletic programs besides football. Go Bison.

There is no chance it doesn't help. The questions is how much will it help? Worst case it solidifies us as a great 2nd tier option after the big dogs.

WildBill
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Your missing my point. Before this year, we had a zero % chance of competing with them on recruits. With this new found exposure, we may have a small chance of stealing a recruit every once in a while. A Gopher or Badger bench player could start for us. Do you agree that is progress?

I said that we can't compete with the tradition or facilities. (unless we get the new BB arena of course that will help)

We've got to focus on our advantages. The Gophers made it once since 1998 and they cheated their way back then. We made it in our first year and we play in an easier conference so we have as good of a chance at of making it to the big dance than the Gophers do.

Exposure in the Twin Cities will help a lot!

Getting to the big dance is great. But don't you think recruits want a little more than just making it? Not even counting 1998 the Gophers have been there nine times,plus more when the NIT was the main tournament.Recruits alsolook at gameday atmosphere. Where would most rather play? Bison Sports arena or storied Williams arena?

Kermit
03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Getting to the big dance is great. But don't you think recruits want a little more than just making it? Not even counting 1998 the Gophers have been there nine times,plus more when the NIT was the main tournament.Recruits alsolook at gameday atmosphere. Where would most rather play? Bison Sports arena or storied Williams arena?

The Bison will not be competing with the Gophers for recruits any time soon. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dream land. NDSU is now in much better position to land a kid with a scholarship offer who might be a recruited walk-on at Minnesota, but that's the best we could hope for. Our competition for players is mostly other mid to low-major schools. In the past, lots of area kids would prefer (for example), UW-Green Bay or Northern Illinois, etc. over NDSU. We need to get some of those kids.

WildBill
03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
The Bison will not be competing with the Gophers for recruits any time soon. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dream land. NDSU is now in much better position to land a kid with a scholarship offer who might be a recruited walk-on at Minnesota, but that's the best we could hope for. Our competition for players is mostly other mid to low-major schools. In the past, lots of area kids would prefer (for example), UW-Green Bay or Northern Illinois, etc. over NDSU. We need to get some of those kids.

I completely agree

Gully
03-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey Wild Bill, if your point is that Minnesota is on a different level than NDSU....... thank you captain obvious. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. What people are excited about is we're really moving into the level just below the Big Ten teams. We can strongly compete for everyone the Big Ten doesn't offer a scholly to, including the kids they want to walk on. We won't get them all but we will get some, especially against the weaker Big Ten schools like Minnesota.

If NDSU is so small time, why do you spend your time trolling our board?

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Since 1998, the Gophers have been to the Big Dance once and got eliminated in the 1st round. That was in 2003/2004.

When you take away the academic fraud, the last time they made it to the Big Dance was 1989/1990. That's twice in nearly 20 years.

Most athletes want to go to the highest level and the Big Dance is just that.

Is the NIT a big deal? Maybe. But we would be talking NIT had we lost to Oakland.

I said in my original post that we can't compete with the facilities and Big Ten tradition. My original point wasn't that we're going to steal all the Gophers good recruits. We all know that will never happen. My point was that once in a while, we may be able to nab a good player from them.

What else can we offer? Would you rather be he 1st or 2nd player off the bench on a Gophers team that has made the Big Dance twice in the last 20 years or a starter and super star at NDSU with a better chance to make it to the Big Dance? How many Minnesota kids would have loved to be Ben Woodside soaking up all the glory on ESPN?

Once in a while we should be able to snag a middle of the road recruit from Minnesota or Wisconin. These are players that wouldn't have even considered us a month ago.

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 07:10 PM

That's not what I said in my orginal post. I said we may be able to nab a player once in a while. But offering a kid a scholarship vs a walk on is a great example of the progress we've made. And yes I agree we can snap some of the UW -Green Bay players. What if we get their top recruit? That's a big deal.

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Your missing my point completely. Before we made the big dance the chance was ZERO. Now we may have a shot to land the middle of the road kids. Maybe the walk on's or guys who don't want to be a bench player.

Kermit
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
..But offering a kid a scholarship vs a walk on is a great example of the progress we've made. And yes I agree we can snap some of the UW -Green Bay players. What if we get their top recruit? That's a big deal.

Yes, I agree completely. :)

Kermit
03-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Your missing my point completely. Before we made the big dance the chance was ZERO. Now we may have a shot to land the middle of the road kids. Maybe the walk on's or guys who don't want to be a bench player.

I bolded the phrase where you lost me. No D-I scholarship athlete wants to be a bench player--and virtually none of them think they will be a bench player. If Minnesota offers a kid a scholarship, the kid will think they are going to be a starter for a Big Ten team 99% of the time. :)

HerdBot
03-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I bolded the phrase where you lost me. No D-I scholarship athlete wants to be a bench player--and virtually none of them think they will be a bench player. If Minnesota offers a kid a scholarship, the kid will think they are going to be a starter for a Big Ten team 99% of the time. :)

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you read the post that wild bill was replying to.

To keep the discussion going, there are quite a few good players on teams from the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, MAC, and Horizon schools... and that's not even counting our own conference.

Before 2009- Those guys would get many players that wouldn't even look at us.

Who are we going to compete with the most?

jugular
03-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you read the post that wild bill was replying to.

To keep the discussion going, there are quite a few good players on teams from the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, MAC, and Horizon schools... and that's not even counting our own conference.

Before 2009- Those guys would get many players that wouldn't even look at us.

Who are we going to compete with the most?

If we can snag players from the top half of teams in the Missouri Valley we will be going to many more NCAA Tourney's. Players for Northern Iowa, Illinois St, Creighton, Southern Illinois, Wichita St, etc are very talented. I saw many talented players pass through Omaha the past few years.

CaBisonFan
03-14-2009, 10:38 PM

99.9 percent of the time you'll be right. Maybe if we have a home-grown kid that is a legitimate DI player we might be able to keep him at home...but we don't grow many of those. Outside of that, it's tough sledding against any Big Ten team.

TheDoctor
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Maybe they should combine NDSU and UND and make the 12th school necessary for a north and south in the Big Ten. ;)

bigskybears
03-17-2009, 03:39 AM

NDSU is a big time D1 school? Don't take it personal, but people here in Colorado still have never heard of the Bison. They don't even know you have a d1 college.

Kermit
03-17-2009, 04:59 AM
NDSU is a big time D1 school? Don't take it personal, but people here in Colorado still have never heard of the Bison. They don't even know you have a d1 college.

Don't take it personal, but NDSU has left the "big sky bears" from Northern Colorado in the dust..

Funny how you picked this week to find your way back to our board. Something happen that reminded you of the Bison? As for other people in Colorado that don't know anything, I'll just leave that alone.

bigskybears
03-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Don't take it personal, but NDSU has left the "big sky bears" from Northern Colorado in the dust..

Funny how you picked this week to find your way back to our board. Something happen that reminded you of the Bison? As for other people in Colorado that don't know anything, I'll just leave that alone.

So you agree with that lakesbison kid? You really think NDSU is a big time D1 school? Are you freaking kidding me???

tjbison
03-18-2009, 01:16 AM
So you agree with that lakesbison kid? You really think NDSU is a big time D1 school? Are you freaking kidding me???

Well you might be right! we all know UNC football definatly madethe headlines when the big STABBING occured!!!!

56BISON73
03-18-2009, 01:28 AM

Lakes Ive been pondering this for awhile. Ive been trying to figure out where this ranks and think Ive got a handle on it.
Going to the dance is great. But we have yet to do anything IN the dance to be note worthy. We won the conference championship which as in most sports we EXPECT this level of play. Needless to say it was a great accomplishment and congrats to the BB team.
But as far as validating NDSU as a D1 team??? I think we need to win a game in the dance to accomplish that. You have to win a game to be validated as Big D1 team. Other than that we are conference champions and there isnt anything the matter with that.

:hide:

bigskybears
03-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Lakes Ive been pondering this for awhile. Ive been trying to figure out where this ranks and think Ive got a handle on it.
Going to the dance is great. But we have yet to do anything IN the dance to be note worthy. We won the conference championship which as in most sports we EXPECT this level of play. Needless to say it was a great accomplishment and congrats to the BB team.
But as far as validating NDSU as a D1 team??? I think we need to win a game in the dance to accomplish that. You have to win a game to be validated as Big D1 team. Other than that we are conference champions and there isnt anything the matter with that.

:hide:

I would say you need to do more then big a big time D1 program. You need to be in a big time D1 conference. I live 15 minutes from the CSU campus here in Colorado and most people here don't even consider CSU a "bigtime" D1 school because they're not in a bcs conference. It doesn't deminish the great accomplishment you did this year and by the way congrats on that! I really do mean it. But anyone who plays FCS football, etc. is never going to be considered a big time D1 program.
I get what that Lakesbison fan was trying to say. I don't come on here much but when I do, he's always saying something weird and seems to be a bit obsessed with NDSU. I guess you can call him an uber-fan??

aces1180
03-18-2009, 01:46 AM
I would say you need to do more then big a big time D1 program. You need to be in a big time D1 conference. I live 15 minutes from the CSU campus here in Colorado and most people here don't even consider CSU a "bigtime" D1 school because they're not in a bcs conference. It doesn't deminish the great accomplishment you did this year and by the way congrats on that! I really do mean it. But anyone who plays FCS football, etc. is never going to be considered a big time D1 program.
I get what that Lakesbison fan was trying to say. I don't come on here much but when I do, he's always saying something weird and seems to be a bit obsessed with NDSU. I guess you can call him an uber-fan??

And what is wrong with loving your favorite school? Everybody's passion may be a bit different, but that's what sports are all about.

56BISON73
03-18-2009, 01:53 AM

Being in a Big time conference really proves nothing if you dont win and arent competitive. Big time conferences are great for name recognition. I think that is where the confusion is. If they havent heard of you then you arent considered big time in THEIR minds. There have been a few schools that werent well known and after a few victories in the dance the mind set of the people have changed towards those small time schools.

tjbison
03-18-2009, 01:57 AM

thats pretty small minded, look at just the Big East with Villanova and Georgetown, both are HIGH Major in mens BBALL and FCS in football so your wrong! granted the Hoyas have not done very good this year they still have credibility

bigskybears
03-18-2009, 02:01 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of big time. Lakesbison is just a kid and probably doesn't know any better, but some of you might.

When I think of big time college athletics NDSU doesn't come to mind. Neither does Georgetown or 'Nova for that matter. They're winners and have good programs, but not "big time." You can call me small minded if you want but its just my opnion.

56BISON73
03-18-2009, 02:07 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of big time. Lakesbison is just a kid and probably doesn't know any better, but some of you might.

When I think of big time college athletics NDSU doesn't come to mind. Neither does Georgetown or 'Nova for that matter. They're winners and have good programs, but not "big time." You can call me small minded if you want but its just my opnion.

Yes weve all grown up to think that Michigan, Alabama etc are THE big time schools. But many schools are moving up in divisions. Hence being more competitive and beating the so called bigs. Happens every year.
It wasnt long ago that Boise State wasnt even an after thought. Utah also. In time teams will get more name recognition as they win more against the established Bigs as such will be better known themselves.

bigskybears
03-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Yes weve all grown up to think that Michigan, Alabama etc are THE big time schools. But many schools are moving up in divisions. Hence being more competitive and beating the so called bigs. Happens every year.
It wasnt long ago that Boise State wasnt even an after thought. Utah also. In time teams will get more name recognition as they win more against the established Bigs as such will be better known themselves.

You think Boise State is big time? SSSHhheeeesshhhh you and I have different opinions about what big time means. You have a llllllooooonnnnnggggg way to go to even say you're like BSU! Believe it or not not many people care about the Bison outside North Dak, not many care about Montana outside Montana, etc. When I hear the words "Big Time", it is Mich, USC, Florida, etc. NOT NDSU!

56BISON73
03-18-2009, 02:56 AM
You think Boise State is big time? SSSHhheeeesshhhh you and I have different opinions about what big time means. You have a llllllooooonnnnnggggg way to go to even say you're like BSU! Believe it or not not many people care about the Bison outside North Dak, not many care about Montana outside Montana, etc. When I hear the words "Big Time", it is Mich, USC, Florida, etc. NOT NDSU!

WHERE did I say Boise State was big time. You are reading into it what you want to.
Believe it or not I dont care if people dont think we are big time or not. I know what we are and what we are not.
So the main reason you are here is to let the people know that you dont think NDSU is big time correct? Ok we get it. Bye

bigskybears
03-19-2009, 02:38 AM
DO you really think NDSU is a "big time" program??

THEsocalledfan
03-19-2009, 02:45 AM

PL's point was that Boise State has clearly moved up in the eyes of many; not that they are as "big time" as Florida, Texas, etc. That is a spot on assessment and the Boise State example is something that NDSU can aspire to. (Again, we all know NDSU will not be another Florida.....) Will it happen overnight? Of course not, but give us 20 years......

Notice to everyone: use much simpler words so bigskybears can understand. His neurons aren't all firing right....too much Moose Drool. He also comes from a second tier FCS conference, so to be expected.

56BISON73
03-19-2009, 03:42 AM

Within our peer group yes. Against Michigan etc no. But we are just starting to make our move. Only time will tell.
So are you done now????

skolbrother
03-19-2009, 05:30 AM

I usually stand back and laugh at the trivial BS on this site. This week is starting to irritate me. PL never said Boise St. is big time, review his post. However, the Bison realize we are on the beginning of a journey and thus far that journey has included: beating Montana in Football when we were a lowly D2 program and they were a D1AA powerhouse, beating Ball State in Football (a D1 FBS school) , beating Minnesota in Football (they big 10 right?), beating #15 ranked Wisconsin in BB, and beating a highly ranked Marquette BB team. Are we big time..... absolutely not, I have not heard one person on this board say that they believe we are. Are we making strides...? Any sane person can not deny that we are!

The point is our rate of progression related to a measure of success is undeniable and my hunch is it will continue, many do not like this rapid ascenscion. I, however am not one of them. Nor, are many unbiased parties!

bigskybears
03-19-2009, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=skolbrother;268367]I have not heard one person on this board say that they believe we are.

QUOTE]

You might want to go back and look again on this thread. That lakesbison kid said you're big time! That's how this all started!!

tjbison
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Within our peer group yes. Against Michigan etc no. But we are just starting to make our move. Only time will tell.
So are you done now????

True, True, no matter how you look at it EVERY fan of FCS football knows NDSU now, and LOTS of Mens BBall fans know or have heard/seen something about NDSU. And I agree within schools and Conferences of our same sizes and budgets NDSU is Big Time, in the BCS conferences or Power Conferences of course we are not Big Time!!

THEsocalledfan
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
You might want to go back and look again on this thread. That lakesbison kid said you're big time! That's how this all started!!

Good point. Lakes speaks for all of us and Lakes is our God. We all bow to Lakes in worship. None of us every disagree with Lakes.

Thank you for pointing that out. Now, go back and sniff your paint thinner some more......

bigskybears
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Good point. Lakes speaks for all of us and Lakes is our God. We all bow to Lakes in worship. None of us every disagree with Lakes.

Thank you for pointing that out. Now, go back and sniff your paint thinner some more......

Skol was just saying he never say anyone on Bisonville call the Bison a big time d1 program and that's not correct. The lakesbison kid did. I was just pointing it out.

sambini
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Back to What this thread is about. This exposure for the basketball team. Will help NDSU,STATE,AND THE FARGO-MOORHEAD AREA. Great exposure It will help future students to this area++++ Its all good+++

THEsocalledfan
03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Skol was just saying he never say anyone on Bisonville call the Bison a big time d1 program and that's not correct. The lakesbison kid did. I was just pointing it out.

Great point. Glad to see you pay attention to Lakes. You will now be a much smarter man! I agve up years ago. Lakes thinks on too high a plain for me.....

TheDoctor
03-22-2009, 05:43 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

56BISON73
03-23-2009, 06:19 PM
[quote=skolbrother;268367]I have not heard one person on this board say that they believe we are.

QUOTE]

If you have spent anytime on this site you would understand that whatever lakes says is to be taken with a grain of salt. He doesnt represent the majority of Bison fans.

unbison
04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Lakes is the man! You just have to remember there is a nugget of truth in everything he says...... remember i said a nugget of truth!

CaBisonFan
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
[quote=bigskybears;268582]

If you have spent anytime on this site you would understand that whatever lakes says is to be taken with a grain of salt. He doesnt represent the majority of Bison fans.

It would be nice to get a couple of spring surprises with recruiting...like a legit. QB transfer and maybe a big lineman.

SDbison
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
[quote=56BISON73;270285]

It would be nice to get a couple of spring surprises with recruiting...like a legit. QB transfer and maybe a big lineman.
CA......might want to cue up the song........Dream Weaver.......