PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tourney payout.

missingnumber7
03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I was curious about this. I had been told by someone that part of the deal to get into the Summit was no money from the tourney. Does that include the NIT? What about the conference tourney?

Hammersmith
03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not 100% sure of this, but this is what I've got. The money made from this tourney will most likely stay within the Summit. Something has to pay for all the refs in all the sports, the other tourneys that don't make money, the salaries of the Summit employees, etc. That kind of stuff will eat up all the profits from this tourney.

As for the NCAA basketball payout, NDSU, SDSU & IPFW all agreed to give up their share for a certain number of years. I think it may have been five years, but I'm not sure.

TbonZach
03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
As for the NCAA basketball payout, NDSU, SDSU & IPFW all agreed to give up their share for a certain number of years.

Just curious but why would they give up a payout? I'm sure there's a good reason.

fargocyclone
03-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Probably a form of payment to even get into the conference.

Anyone know for sure?

Hammersmith
03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Several reasons. New guys sort of thing; paying your dues. Making sure you have a reason to stay with the conference. But the main reason is that the NCAA payouts are based off of past performance. Each payment from the NCAA is based on the past six years in the Dance. The Summit can make the argument that getting money from year 1 would be giving the new guys money based on the efforts of others. It's possible we'll get increasing shares of the payout over time, or we might just start getting a full share in a couple years.

tjbison
03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Ok but this giving up payouts from the Dance, anybody else feel that NDSU is getting screwed, I mean we know 3 teams are in the same boat, but what are the chances either of the other 2 teams make the dance before the agreed upon timeframe!! Do you suppose the league will give a little something to NDSU for it if they make it? kinda a "bonus"

TbonZach
03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Ok, I guess that makes sense. My curiosity is satisfied. Thanks, Hammer.

NDSUstudent
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok but this giving up payouts from the Dance, anybody else feel that NDSU is getting screwed, I mean we know 3 teams are in the same boat, but what are the chances either of the other 2 teams make the dance before the agreed upon timeframe!! Do you suppose the league will give a little something to NDSU for it if they make it? kinda a "bonus"

Hopefully they take our money and put it towards putting the tournament on TV. Just ridiculous that they can't get the semi-finals on at least ESPNU or Fox College Sports.

56BISON73
03-10-2009, 11:55 PM

I wouldnt complain too much as there used to be a 15 year transition thing for basketball if I am not correct. PL

Tatanka
03-10-2009, 11:56 PM
I wouldnt complain too much as there used to be a 15 year transition thing for basketball if I am not correct. PL

13, but the point is made.

BisonAccountant44
03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Hopefully they take our money and put it towards putting the tournament on TV. Just ridiculous that they can't get the semi-finals on at least ESPNU or Fox College Sports.

I always wondered why we couldn't get on ESPNU too, and according to Wikipedia (I know) they don't have broadcast right to the Summit. What would we have to give up to give ESPNU rights to Summit games? Hopefully not any of the online content, if that's the case I probably would say keep things the way they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPNU_College_Basketball

missingnumber7
03-11-2009, 03:36 AM

How about getting a better server for summittv on the internet.

1bizon1
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Re: Question about Tourney payout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The Sioux have been in the Frozen Four for 4 straight years and in the National championship 1 of those 4. The only National coverage the Bison BB team is going to get is the world laughing at them as they get trounced by the big boys. We know this be we, UND are one of the big boys in the nation. Keep trying bison.

SUE Poster after NDSU wins Summit punching ticket to the Dance

This is only one UND person. Last night when this site was down, I was curious if SU was being bashed "over there." I was shocked to see how many posters on SS were congratulating or were happy for NDSU and the the state. My first time ever at SS by the way.....
So take it for what it's worth.......

missingnumber7
03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Re: Question about Tourney payout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that SDSU women has a bigger beef than NDSU. However, I do think that if we signed that deal and knew we weren't getting anything, did we sign it before or after the death sentence was reduced to 5 years?

TransAmBison
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I think that SDSU women has a bigger beef than NDSU. However, I do think that if we signed that deal and knew we weren't getting anything, did we sign it before or after the death sentence was reduced to 5 years?
That right there is funny I don't care who you are.:D

Bisonguy
03-11-2009, 01:23 PM

It was after. The bylaw was changed prior to NDSU being invited to the Summit. I believe it was changed for NDSU's first year in DI transition (after the exploratory year) due in part to lobbying on the behalf of UC-Davis.

mebisonII
03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
It might suck now to give up that payment, but it would have sucked a lot worse if we were still independent this year....

Bisonguy
03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
The Summit splits up the pie to all members, each receiving something around $100k.

Of course, if a team makes it past the first round, subsequent payouts would be increased.

TheBisonTower
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Heard Gene Taylor say that to get in the Summit, we signed a contract forfeiting money for the first 3 years.