PDA

View Full Version : A Question about the NCAA tournament

bisondad
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Is there any chance the Bison get in even if they lose tonight? They have alot of wins and have played well on the road. Just wondering if anybody knows for sure?

Kermit
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Is there any chance the Bison get in even if they lose tonight? They have alot of wins and have played well on the road. Just wondering if anybody knows for sure?

Unfortunately..no. 0% chance. Very poor strength of schedule, no signature wins, RPI is too low. It's OK. Bison win. :D

HerdBot
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM

No. But the NIT is a lock. They have a better chance at making some noise at the NIT unless we can some how get a game in Minneapolis to earn a home field advantage.

tjbison
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Even if we had beat USC and Minnesota, the BAD losses would have kept us from an at-large, it would take a huge deal for a Summit team to even get consideration, sorry but its the truth:hide:

KTF
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I think it is a toss up as to whether you want to see them in the NIT or NCAA tourney.

The NCAA tourney definitely is the premier tourney but look at the volleyball team, one opponent and out. If NDSU makes it they will be a 13-15 seed, meaning they will play a 2-5 seed. I can only imagine the result will be the same as the volleyball team. The exposure will be great for recruting but after this year, will they be the top team again...probably not for a few years.

The NIT tourney is not as luxurious however they would have a better chance at not being a one and out team. It wouldn't help as great for recruiting but from a players standpoint it might be more fun...

tjbison
03-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I think it is a toss up as to whether you want to see them in the NIT or NCAA tourney.

The NCAA tourney definitely is the premier tourney but look at the volleyball team, one opponent and out. If NDSU makes it they will be a 13-15 seed, meaning they will play a 2-5 seed. I can only imagine the result will be the same as the volleyball team. The exposure will be great for recruting but after this year, will they be the top team again...probably not for a few years.

The NIT tourney is not as luxurious however they would have a better chance at not being a one and out team. It wouldn't help as great for recruiting but from a players standpoint it might be more fun...

Yes, but 1 win in the tourney or even a really close loss puts NDSU in the spotlight, bar none 10 times more than even winning 2 maybe 3 games in the NIT! I'll take the one and done (if it happens) NCAA anyday, imagine a win over a 4 seed in the opening round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get your popcorn and airline tickets ready:nod:

Kermit
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Not a tossup. Let's have a moratorium on NIT talk today.

17>1
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I think one of the advantages a team like NDSU has is that although they are getting a 13-15 seed, they have earned their way in by winning a bunch of games, like in a conference tourney. Some of the 2-4 seeded teams were already locks so their conference tourney doesn't always mean as much to them and if they lose, they still get in. We're hot right now, and I think if we can pentrate, that's a big if against some big time teams out there, we can create foul trouble for the other team and also allows us to stay close with free throws. I'm trying to not look past Oakland, and am trying to keep my glasses clear and not green, but I like our chances against alot of teams out there. Just have to play perfect by minimizing turnovers and transition baskets for the other team, and making our free throws.

THE ndsU
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Keep in mind, if we end up in Minneapolis, that means we will have a #15 seed. That means playing somebody like Duke, Michigan State, Memphis, etc. I'd rather we didn't play in Minneapolis, because that means we got a #14 seed (likely) or a #13 seed (need some upsets to happen).

BisonAccountant44
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, but 1 win in the tourney or even a really close loss puts NDSU in the spotlight, bar none 10 times more than even winning 2 maybe 3 games in the NIT! I'll take the one and done (if it happens) NCAA anyday, imagine a win over a 4 seed in the opening round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get your popcorn and airline tickets ready:nod:

Exactly! I think if you ask any of the guys on the team which tournament they want to be in, and I think you'll get the same answer from each of them as well. As a fan. If we win tonight, nothing short of at least 2 acts of God will keep me away from any NCAA tourney game we play.

The NIT, I'll try to watch, and will follow the games, but I'm probably not going to go, unless we have a road game relativly close to Chicago, or make it to MSG.

Shawn-O
03-10-2009, 03:16 PM
You have guys that have proven they can win on the big stage, and the senior leadership to make some noise in the NCAA tourney...I hope you make it. We'll be tuned in tonight and wishing the Bison good luck!

HerdBot
03-10-2009, 03:17 PM

That's true. One win and we're headline news. It will be the biggest sports moment in ND history. Suddenly we're in the top 32.

As far as publicity... we're on ESPN tonight so it's already a victory, even if we lose.

WYOBISONMAN
03-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Not a tossup. Let's have a moratorium on NIT talk today.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bisonmike2
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Personally I don't care about the NIT, it's NCAA or bust. Nobody watches the NIT outside of the participating schools. The NCAA tourney is the arguably the greatest sporting spectacle around. We don't even have to win a game to put our school on the national map. A good performance in the opening round will put NDSU in the heads of millions of people for years to come. Gonzaga, George Mason, Wichita St, Creighton, St. Mary's etc. You wouldn't know or care about any of those schools if it wasn't for the tourney. Plus, it's hard to imagine now, but should we be fortunate enough to make it, CBS is going to run the crap out of our story. 4 seniors who took a chance by red shirting at a transitioning D1 nobody (in terms of b-ball) for 1 shot at the NCAA tourney as seniors. That's the American dream baby! We are going to be the lovable underdog, the hardworking scrappers that achieved the old fashion way, through hard work and patience. All of this coverage before we even tip off for the first game. And if we would win, well, I can't even comprehend how big of deal that would be.

WYOBISONMAN
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
You have guys that have proven they can win on the big stage, and the senior leadership to make some noise in the NCAA tourney...I hope you make it. We'll be tuned in tonight and wishing the Bison good luck!

Thanks.....I think you are right. A win in the NCAA would be a heck of an upset, but those Seniors have the potential to get it done.

90 BISON
03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Personally I don't care about the NIT, it's NCAA or bust. Nobody watches the NIT outside of the participating schools. The NCAA tourney is the arguably the greatest sporting spectacle around. We don't even have to win a game to put our school on the national map. A good performance in the opening round will put NDSU in the heads of millions of people for years to come. Gonzaga, George Mason, Wichita St, Creighton, St. Mary's etc. You wouldn't know or care about any of those schools if it wasn't for the tourney. Plus, it's hard to imagine now, but should we be fortunate enough to make it, CBS is going to run the crap out of our story. 4 seniors who took a chance by red shirting at a transitioning D1 nobody (in terms of b-ball) for 1 shot at the NCAA tourney as seniors. That's the American dream baby! We are going to be the lovable underdog, the hardworking scrappers that achieved the old fashion way, through hard work and patience. All of this coverage before we even tip off for the first game. And if we would win, well, I can't even comprehend how big of deal that would be.

In the words of Sambini:

++++++++++++++++++++++

Bison"FANatic"
03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I Wanna Go Dannnnnnncccccciiiiiiinnnnn

Kermit
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
http://dancemichigan.com/images/Lets_Dance.jpg

TILIS-BisonFan
03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Getting to the NCAA and losing one very close game to a marquette has way more benefits in the recruiting field than a deep run in the NIT IMO.. We are losing four seniors..

I just want to see North Dakota State punches ticket with win over Oakland across the ESPN ticker 38 times tonight

fargocyclone
03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Quick question about the NIT... How many of you can honestly remember who even won the tournament last year, or even for that matter two years ago. For national news, its NCAAs or nothing.

GoPanthers33
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Ohio St. won the NIT last year...I only know that because I do pay attention to who wins the NIT only because that could mean they're young and will be good the following year. As for the CBI or the new CIT I don't think anyone cares unles your a fan of a participating team.

Hopefully UWM makes the CBI for some experience for next year!

fargocyclone
03-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Ohio St. won the NIT last year...I only know that because I do pay attention to who wins the NIT only because that could mean they're young and will be good the following year. As for the CBI or the new CIT I don't think anyone cares unles your a fan of a participating team.

Hopefully UWM makes the CBI for some experience for next year!

Well there's one... :) Anyone else out there who would have known that?

(Reps to you for knowing by the way... I sure didn't :blush: )

GoPanthers33
03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Well there's one... :) Anyone else out there who would have known that?

(Reps to you for knowing by the way... I sure didn't :blush: )

Probably no one else...But I am obsessed with college basketball. I see who wins the CBI and CIT as well...

Tulsa beat Bradely in the CBI championship last year...

tjbison
03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Probably no one else...But I am obsessed with college basketball. I see who wins the CBI and CIT as well...

I thought they were even discussing last year some other group starting ANOTHER invitaion tourney?? but I may be wrong!

GoPanthers33
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought they were even discussing last year some other group starting ANOTHER invitaion tourney?? but I may be wrong!

No your right they did...The CIT (CollegeInsider.com Tournament)
^^^See earlier post for a mention of the CIT^^^

Hopefully UWM is in the CBI or CIT for some experience.

tjbison
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
No your right they did...The CIT (CollegeInsider.com Tournament)
^^^See earlier post for a mention of the CIT^^^

Hopefully UWM is in the CBI or CIT for some experience.

Oh cool thanks, i'm not losing my mind then!!:p

fargocyclone
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Haha, quit bragging about the size of your fanhood! I gave the reps already!! :)

GoPanthers33
03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok Ok I'll stop...But I still remember the scores of all the UWM NCAA tournament Games! (6 total games, were 3-3)

NDSU1980
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Even if you win the entire NIT, you are still only #65 in the country. Go to the NCAA and you are at least #64. I'll take NCAA any day.

GoPanthers33
03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Probably true but technically it's #66 if you win the NIT
Can't forgety about the Play-IN Game of the NCAA Tournament!